Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,073 | Hads: 3,377
4.22/5  rDev +45.5%

Miller had an example of good beer, miller high life in a 40oz bottle, a lager made without rice, malt, hops, corn starch, and flavorful water, its blonde color is because to its clear and dry malt; good with mexican cheese and american food, try with mexican antojitos too, serve in a glass mug previously cooled, with lime too; 92% recommended. (346 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +45.2%

What can I say. I love Miller High Life.

It is just as good from a can as from a bottle but cheaper!

This is the one beer I keep going back to. It never disapoints. It is inexpensive, smooth, easy to drink, goes great with almost any food, it does not have any off flavors and does not give me a hang over.

It is not complex, bitter or hoppy, it is just a simple lager that is super refreshing.
Sometimes that is all your want.

Long Live the High Life!!! (462 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +45.2%

Have to review this beer to style, and it is my favorite American Macro. A consistent performer that is classically American in style.

A - Nice golden yellow , very bright and clear
S - Malted corn smell with a light aroma
T - Great taste (again to style) with clean flavor, a sweeter corn
taste and very fresh and crisp
M - Just average here, although the carbonation adds to the
crispness of this beer
D - Very drinkable for this style. With other american macros I get
bloated (carbonation, maybe) but this is easily a sessionable
lager. Especially at the local bar after work with the gang, this
beer is a good choice (my opinion)

Once again , as reviewed to style I really enjoy this beer. "Champagne of beers" may not be the most appropriate name, but maybe the "Champagne of Macro Lagers". For anyone looking for a good American Macro to try, this is a good bet. (881 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +43.1%

Up north at the cabin I pulled out of the refrigerator a gleaming-gold icy cold can and poured into a classic pilsner glass found at a garage sale for 5 cents. Having felt a rush for nostalgia here's my review.

Appearance is a brilliant clear yellow-gold with a frothy white head that lingers for a few minutes then settles to a thin layer for the duration. Aroma is dominated by flowery noble hops with an underlying hint of corn flakes. There's malt in there, too, reminding me of Grape nuts. Taste is much the same as the aroma with big flavors of noble hops but restrained bitterness making this an incredibly smooth beer. There's acutally quite a bit of malt flavor here, and some corn flakes, but the hop flavor and malt dominate. Finishes smooth with a touch of sweetness that complements the noble hops.

This beer tastes way better now than it ever has and I was pleasantly surprised by the full flavor and hop presence. (932 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +42.4%

Straw color with a full white head and very active carbonation. Balanced grain, fruity, corn aroma and flavor. Light-medium bodied, refreshing and smooth without a lot of cooked-corn character.

I prefer the bottled version over the cans ... seemed to have much better carbonation and liveliness. Very nice American macro -- one of the best actually and one of my favorites.

Per MIller website: 4.7% ABV, 143 cal., & 13.1g Carb

'08155' lasered on bottle
Tasted: 05/25/05 (479 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +42.4%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer. (521 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +42.4%

I am convinced that my Dad and Uncles were right about this beer. Unlike Pop's favorite, Hamm's, High Life ranks right up there with good, clean drinkable beer. It is a fine example of taste, price, look, mouthfeel and it has no lingering effects of YUCK afterwords. For the price, drink the crap out of this. (309 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +41.4%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom. (874 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +40.7%

Has maybe the best head and lacing of an American Lager I've tasted. A quality beer especially considering the value price point. Not fancy but solid. (150 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +40%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one. (565 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

High Life is for the everday drinker who enjoys a clean, crisp, quantity - emphasized taste. A man drinks High Life to escape. A man drinks High Life because he's content. A man drink's High Life because he's a dreamer. A man drinks High Life because he's not quite sure of who he is. A man drinks High Life because he knows exactly who he is. Men drink High Life for many reasons, but the take away is that men drink High Life. So keep on moving, keep on drinking, and keep on living the high life. (500 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +39.7%

What a delicious beer. Personally I would rank it as the third best BMC product. Rich golden color and sweet smell and a bubbly pour. The beer feels great in your mouth, but more importantly tastes amazing. Just a great all-around beer with a price tag that is begging you to buy it. (283 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +39.3%

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. My grandfather used to drink this beer while mowing the lawn in the summer. He did it based solely on how refreshing it looked. He's right and thats why I'm scoring it so high on appearance. It smells like corn, but not too strong in my opinion. You shouldn't be smelling this beer anyway. Beer is for drinking, you ass. It tastes crisp, and fairly clean. Not of a lot of corny sliminess that happens in these cheap American lagers. Mouthfeel is on target of the style (light) and the drinkability is awesome. This beer is designed to be drank in a session. (595 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +38.6%

Haven't had one of these in a long, long time. I'm a stout man myself. Decided to pick up a 6 pack of bottles today and try one out. I've been thinking of brewing a batch of either an American ale or American lager. This is what i'd be going for.
Appearance - Beautiful. Just what you'd want in a golden clear lager. Really nice head and lacing.
Smell - Corn and grains. Not enough hops. Needs more aroma hops.
Taste - Could do with a little hops here too, same corn and grain.
Mouthfeel - Light and crisp. Just how it should be.
Drinkability - I'm on my 2nd in this tasteing and I'll be drinking the other 4 this evening. I grew up in the corn country of Ill. and had many of these growing up. Even been to the brewery when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes. So I'm a little partial to this beer. Loved it then and love it now. Will always be my stand by. (856 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +38.3%

12oz bottle -> american pint
no date, but there is laser printed code

Pours a clear straw yellow with a generous head that leaves behind thin patches of pale white lace. The head surprisingly has some staying power and laces better than any macro i've come across. Carbonation is robust, truely champagne like.

Nose: Pale malt, a little sour yeast.

Taste: Slight toasted grain corn like flavor, that finishes relatively clean with a tad of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium to slightly watery but with a quick crisp finish.

The most drinkable american macro imo. Used to down these like water at the bowling alley in my personal prohibition time. Cheap and available everywhere. A 4.5 for taste compared to beers of this style not compared to your favorite big beer. (781 characters)

Appearance - Same as out of the can: gold, clear, carbonated, and a stark-white head that leaves some lacing in the bottle. (I'm reviewing it from the bottle, because the bottle is clear.)

Aroma - Smells sweet, grainy, creamed-corn, a little bready. It smells like High Life from a can, but a little more subdued.

Taste - Some slight bitterness, grainy, a little sweet corn adjunct, and some white bread.

Finish - dry, crisp, refreshing, smooth.

Overall - A solid go-to beer. (482 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +37.6%

Miller Highlife always seems to find its way into my fridge. I do love all types and styles of beer, craft and mass produced. Highlife is a beer I go for time and time again on common days. It is very easy drinking. I must say I agree with what I remember an Uncle saying long ago when I was just a young college student. He said "Miller Highlife is probably the most beautiful looking beers of its type." I still agree, I catch myself gazing at it's golden color and slow moving little bubbles dancing around while I sip it in the Florida sunlight. This beer has a nice crisp start and a soft light alcohol finish. I also taste hints of sweet bread flavors. It also has a better lace on the glass than most of it's competitors. This is a favorite of mine while out fishing or working in the yard. (797 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't say that this is my favorite in the AAL category, but I still like it because I just like beer in general. My favorite aspect of High Life is I can often pick it up for $13.00 or so for a 30 pack.

Now before I hear the usual poo poo's of "you get what you pay for," I just don't believe most people could really tell the difference between most AAL's if given a blind taste test. I've done it many times with friends, and only two people out of dozens were truly able to ID their "favorite" AAL. Face it, most AAL's just aren't that much different. They are just good, inexpensive beverages that we enjoy!

With that in mind, I can't see paying $20.00 for a 18 pack of Budweiser (highly overrated) when I can pay $13.00 for a 30 pack of this.

Its just a decent, inexpensive beer. Take it for that. (812 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In my opinion this is one of the best macro American lagers out there. I love this beer. If I'm not drinking craft, I'm drinking this.

Piss yellow clear body. Fizzy, semi-frothy, white, short lasting head, but a very lasting and stickly lace. Much better head compared to other macros.

Aroma is sweet corn, hay, very light malt. Minor vegital. Almost no hop aroma. But clean. No skunk, no off aroma - very smellable for a macro.

Taste is typical macro with a little more malty breadiness and a noticeable semi-dryness. Very nice if you are in the mood for a non-craft beer that is easy drinking but still has at least a smidge of complexity in the malt profile. (666 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass - reviewed as a cheap macro

A - Pours a clear gold with many bubbles streaming to the top. Nice fluffy two finger head with good retention that stayed intact all the way down the glass - remarkable for a macro. Left behind beautiful lacing!!!
I'm speechless!!!

S - A weak sweet malty smell - needs to be stronger

T - Sweet up front. The body is void of any real flavor other than a mild sweetness riding on a hardly perceptible malt background. Finnish is dry and champagney with a tiny bit of bitterness. Not a lot here, but not many offensive adjuncts either.. Much better than many of the other macros on the market

M - Thin as water and highly carbonated - refreshing, but could stand to be thicker. The carbonation suits the beer well though.

D - This beer really does have some champaign characteristics to it which make it highly drinkable. Yeah, it's not a complex macro, but this a delicious and cheap beer to have at a BBQ, on a hot day after wrenching on cars, with mexican food or even to enjoy by itself when looking for something simple. This beer also has a tremendous amount of sedimental value to me - my great grandpa used to drink one a day until he died at 98. Every time I drink one, I think of him and feel pride. High life will always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge. (1,357 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +36.6%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick. (671 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +36.6%

A: Pours a watery looking, very light stream of beer to form a voluminous (but not overly huge) bright white head on top of a very pale yellow beer. There is some, but not too much active carbonation. The head is very billowy, with bubbles of all sizes. The beer is perfectly clear, probably clearer than my tap water. 4.5/5

S: What smell there is is vaguely fruity with a little bit of grain. No hops. It's pretty clean, but this fruitiness bothers me. It's almost like water melon or cherries. This is really too much for an adjunct lager. I never thought I'd mark down a beer for being too good smelling. 3.5

T: The fruitiness is pretty much gone, well within an understandable range. There's still no hops, just a slight graininess, really not much for flavor at all. It's just what it should be I suppose, but I think they could get away with a little more packed in here. 4/5

M: Well, it's watery. As it should be. The carbonation and minimal hopping (being as there's minimal everything) lend it just a bit of sharp bitterness, but I don't know what I could tell much difference between the feel of this and some tonic water. 4.5/5

D: This is a highly drinkable beer. Both clean and mildly flavored, not much is going to stop you from putting a few of these down if that's what you want to do. There could be some better flavors to lure you in, and there are cleaner, less floral Adjunct Lagers out there, but High Life does a pretty good job. 4/5 (1,458 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +36.6%

12 oz clear bottle of straw amber liquid assertively poured into a tulip (usually poured festively into my mouth) produces a huge creamy head of nearly three fingers with excellent retention that leaves some lacing. Looks like beer.

Smell is lightly grainy, but the grain is corn.. which I blasphemously like. Smells like beer.

Crisp, clean, nice and grainy with a light malt sweetness; a refreshing soda pop of a brew. Tastes like beer, definitely.

Drinkable as all get out...just not with your beer snob friends...or your macro snob friends. No idea why this beer gets treated so second-classily by the sheeple drinking macro pisswater Bud Light, etc. It ain't awful, it tastes good and goes down easy. I like it. So there. (728 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +36.2%

Drinking as i type this.

12 oz can onto Atlas Mason jar.

A: Golden with a nice four finger head. As head dissipates there is nice lacing up and down the glass. Head retention is not to bad for this type of beer as well.

S: I usually can smell only can but this must be a fresh batch. I get an odor of moldering apples, fresh grains, light malt, and tiniest ghost of a hop. The quintessential smell of beer.

T: Sometimes its too sweet for me, but its not too bad today. Tastes like childhood. Tastes like it smells with a metallic aftertaste, its a bit much out of the can, but I get the same effect from the bottle.

D: I could drink this beer all the day through. This beer keeps getting better until its too late, but I guess this is true with all alcohol and the hedonists that consume it. This was my Dad's beer of choice and the beer he weened me on. I always think of him when I have one, so to me this beer is fucking one of the best. (945 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +36.2%

Appearance: Classic packaging. Clear gold brew with a decent white head that provides excellent lacing in the glass.

Smell: Minor malt character, a hint of hops.

Taste: Clean malt flavor with a touch of hops. Good example of the classic American brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Smooth character.

Drinkablity: I have lived on this brew for decades. A sold brew for when you just want to have a cheap and unpretentious beer. (433 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.