Join our email list →

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,091 | Hads: 3,504
3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Drinking as i type this.

12 oz can onto Atlas Mason jar.

A: Golden with a nice four finger head. As head dissipates there is nice lacing up and down the glass. Head retention is not to bad for this type of beer as well.

S: I usually can smell only can but this must be a fresh batch. I get an odor of moldering apples, fresh grains, light malt, and tiniest ghost of a hop. The quintessential smell of beer.

T: Sometimes its too sweet for me, but its not too bad today. Tastes like childhood. Tastes like it smells with a metallic aftertaste, its a bit much out of the can, but I get the same effect from the bottle.

D: I could drink this beer all the day through. This beer keeps getting better until its too late, but I guess this is true with all alcohol and the hedonists that consume it. This was my Dad's beer of choice and the beer he weened me on. I always think of him when I have one, so to me this beer is fucking one of the best.

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Appearance: Classic packaging. Clear gold brew with a decent white head that provides excellent lacing in the glass.

Smell: Minor malt character, a hint of hops.

Taste: Clean malt flavor with a touch of hops. Good example of the classic American brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Smooth character.

Drinkablity: I have lived on this brew for decades. A sold brew for when you just want to have a cheap and unpretentious beer.

3.93/5  rDev +39.9%

A: Bright, clear straw color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head that dissipated quickly to an skim around the inside edge of the glass. Decanted continually. Laced the glass surprisingly well.

S: Grassy noble hops and green apples. Very little malt character, but a hint of buttery corn.

T: Light bisuity malt character and wet cereal. A hint of green apples ahead of long light bitter.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, light and dry.

D: One of those beers that nails the style guidelines but gets a regular beat-down by beer advocates that grace these pages.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

It looks like yellow fizz (some might call it piss water). But the labeling is iconic, so it gets a 3.

The smell is pretty mild, but pleasant. Think stale grass, sweet corn, slight citrus.

The taste is all in the finish, which is corn and pure science: a nearly perfect balance of mellow hops and and sweet malts. The aftertaste is mild and pleasant.

The mouth feel is highly carbonated and light to medium. Champagne of beers is correct.

Over all, I picked up a 12 for $7.49 at Target in 2015. That is bad ass deflation. Sure, they are a conglomerate, but that also has its upsides for the poor man.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

This is for a taste test between Miller High Life and MGD (as per forum posts this same day). Beer poured from 24oz big can into large Okocim glass (0.5L, this glass is awesome by the way). Head formation was brilliant for a macro lager and sticks to the glass in large chunks. Puffy cloudy head remains after a few sips, this thing won't go away, reminds me of a slightly lesser head from a tripel. Beer a very pale gold with TONS of bubbles, it's so nice. The smell is not great, but the taste makes up for it. Very smooth and crisp, almost like biting into an apple. It is fairly sweet, but very refreshing. This definitely goes with everybody's idea of a great summer beer.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

this is the BEST beer for casual drinking. forget amstel, this is the beer drinkers light beer. it must be consumed in bottles for one to fully aprichiate the goodness of the high life. I strongly encorage real beer drinkers to give high life a chance. it might not look classy, but it drinks like champange

3.91/5  rDev +39.1%

I only base my reviews based on the style of the beer.

Appearance is amazing for the style. Pours a three finger head that sticks to the side of the glass to the end. So the retention is great! Golden clear color with some carbonation bubbling up.

Sweet malt, some cooked grains, and a touch of grassy hops hit the nose. Nothing offensive.

The taste is classic American lager. Nothing over done just a good balance of clean grassy hops with a touch of bitterness. Some hits of cereal grains, sweet malts and clean finish.

I will put this lager up with my other favorite macro lagers in American (Pabst and Schlitz. Clean, easy drinking lager that is perfect for hotter weather. Yes, nothing in this beer is over done. But, that is why many like it. Just clean easy drinking with no nasty after taste just good balance for the style.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

For what it is,, a cheap macro is tastes pretty good. I will have to say that I think you have to have a taste for the ol' high life.. It does have a wicked corn smell. Its cheap just like PBR and actually has a taste. With my beer budget on the fritz right now, High Life is filling the void just fine. I have made this my go-to cheap beer in my fridge due to the fact that PBR isn't in every supermarket here in south florida and funny,,, its 50 cents cheaper a 12-pack than PBR.. After a long session on a friday night, no hangover like I get from AB products..
Cheers! Have a High Life

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.after a sweaty days work I don't want a beer that tastes like you could tar a roof with it.

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

Bought a 12 pack at local convenient mart.

Appearance: golden color with a nice amount of foam head.

Smell: Like any beer, amazing

Taste: Light hop taste, although a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Bitter

Drinkability: Goes down easy, great aftertaste. Can easily drink a case.

This is by far the best American macro lager that I have ever had!

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Appearance is a pale yellow with a nice head that lasted for the first few sips with a lace that continued down the entire glass.

Smell is nice for a macro with rice some sweet malts and mild hops.

Taste, most macros don't taste like beer (sorry AB I know you're consistant, but tasty, you're not). This one actually has the taste of malt and hops, and it finishes dry and a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel is wonderfull very light and crisp, just the right amount of carbination.

Drinkability, what a great session beer, it is easy to drink and inexpensive. When I have less money, I purchase the HIGH LIFE.

Great beer for a macro. I like it better than any AB product.

This is a nice beer. Macros are in a class by themselves, they're not great but some can be good. This beer is one of the good ones. Better than any other macro I have tasted.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

Well I'm very suprised I have been a long time craft beer drinker and have avoided all products by the big three Budweisser, Coors, and Miller.

I have to admit I was hesitant to drink this when a friend gave it to me but the first think that jumped to mind was I can reviuew it so lets give it a go.

A- clear golden yellow with a large head that faded to little more than a wisp.

S- not very hoppy at allI would guess this is probably mostly a grainy ( rice) beer not much malt either kinda watery but not overly. Honestly hard to put a finger on it but not as offensive as I would have thought a Miller product to be.

M- Very smooth light carbonation extremely drinkable and refreshing I could see this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn type of beer.

T- sweet , grainy ( rice )maybe, slightly fruity.

D- Best part of this beer very refreshing I could drink this all day no prob.

very suprising I would go to this any day before a bud or coors I have to be honest I am pleasently suprised.

Miller High Life
Miller Brewing Co. / SABMiller
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 5.00 %

4.5/3.5/4/3.5/4.0

This is not the best beer I have ever drank, but it is worth the money when your budget is tight. At $8 for a 12 pack of bottles the price is right. It is a bit sweeter than most other American macros, but it beats almost all other beers at this price in my opinion.

Appearance is clear golden straw in color with a surprising 2 finger head that lasts much longer than other macro swill.
Smell is a sweet corn/malts aroma with some malt smell.
Tastes as it smells with a light flavor and sweet finish. More flavor than most macros IMHO, although it is sweet.
Mouthfeel is thin-medium body with high carbonation.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

I always drink my high life out of cans!

This beer is a nice dark golden color that looks good in my glass.

It looks like beer, smells like beer, and tastes like beer...to keep it simple.

Drinkability is off the charts! This is my go-to macro, and will always be as long as Miller keeps it the same!

Prost!

3.85/5  rDev +37%

easily one of the best "old school" beers on the market...easily a top shelf lager...PBR is the only better old school beer,but thats been ruined by hipsters and prices have doubled or almost tripled in some areas

great with food...almost any kind of food.

perfect carbonation and good flavor....the best beer in the Miller stable

if youre a lager fan...this is an excellent choice...if youre an elitist...you probably wont like it

3.85/5  rDev +37%

Of all the yellow beers out there, this one is near the top of the pack. Sure, that isn't saying much, but sometimes you just feel like a cheap lager; and in such a situation, High Life isn't a very bad choice. It smells and tastes like almost every other macro out there, but there's a certain something, a bread-like taste that makes it a bit more substantial than Bud or Pabst.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

By far my favorite Miller product. It has all the trademarks of an American Adjunct Lager. I tend to drink this out of a can, rather than bottle so as to not have it skunked. Pours a brilliant gold, with a nice foamy head that does have a bit of retention to it. The smell is corn with a hint of malt. Hops are subdued. The beer is also malty, like a cereal. I've had it in all serving types. If you're light on greenbacks this will do in a pinch. Really. This beer is unoffensive and perhaps a good palate cleanser.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%

This is the beer that started it all for me. My first beer in high school. maybe i have a sweet spot for it, but if i'm out playing horseshoes with the boys or in the need of something refreshing after a hot day at work. this is where i go for a cheap refreshing beer. not much for the other light flavored beers. don't get me wrong if you hand me one i won't turn it down, but this is my go to for a cool off after work!

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

A: Light yellow color and good carbonation. Beautiful head formation with excellent retention and good lacing.

S: Clean and crisp. Bread with just a touch of hops.

T: Slightly tart and malty. Very nice for the style.

M: Very smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation.

D: These go down so easily, it's hard to describe!

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

A - Good golden appearance. Love the clear bottle.

S - Has a good smell.

T - Very corn-present taste, but I got used to it.

M - Good stuff.

D - Went ahead and bought a 12-pack of these because they were so cheap. Great price for this beer. Expected it to be bad because the price was so good, but it's one I'll have again.

3.81/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I thought this beer was fairly decent, but nothing that I would drink all of the time. It had a good taste and ok smell to it. On a hot summers day while cooking on the grill, i thought it really hit the spot, but most anything probably would. The mouthfeel of the beer was also average for a lager. This is the type of beer that my dad and grandpa would drink, but not really my favorite.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

Appearance- High Life pours with a fairly solid white head and lingering lacing. The color itself is a strong golden yellow.

Smell- There are slight traces of corn and a strong scent of hops.

Taste- There is a much stronger presence of corn in the taste than in the smell, but the bitter tang of the hops dominate, followed by a clean finish.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is crisp, fairly light, and has significant carbonation.

Drinkability- High Life is light enough to be consumed in large quantities but heavy enough to be satisfying. It is definitely one of my favorite budget macro brews.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Has craft brewing ruined the party? Check out the legendary "Bros" rating. 80. Yup 80. Why? How could they? Is it because Miller High Life is, was, and always will be the best party beer on the market? You can bet your only can of "Heady Topper" it is. Try drinking 12 cans of Heady Topper. I guarantee you will puke. Not so with High Life. Light, crisp, slight hop taste with a wet finish. Easily put away 12 of these babies with no sickness or bloated feeling. No headache. High Life deserves more credit. It taught us all how to drink beers.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

Miller High Life. Its the perfect beer for a hot summer day. As long as the temperature difference between the air and beer is >40 F I can slug this stuff down without batting an eye. But as soon as the air temp drops below 75 its hard to drink. Yes its a cheap mass produced beer but its the cheapest beer I can buy in a bottle ($5.67/ 12 pack).

I drink more of it than anything else. I would go broke if I tried to drink nothing but Belgians year round.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

There's something about Miller High Life bottles and PBR cans that get me all nostalgic n' junk; like I have a connection to these beers that dates back to well before I could drink beer because pops and my uncles were never without one. They're by no means my beer of choice these days, but every once and a while I catch myself reaching for one. Such was the case at Sunday night's Super Bowl Party.

Vintage bottle. Out on the back deck deep in a tub of ice. Babies were cold. Ice cold. Arctic ice cold.

Appearance. Vintagely cool. I felt like one of my uncles. Just needed a big bushy mustache.

Taste. Smooth as hell. Not a ton to it, definitely some corn and such, but no hops to speak of.

Sessionability. Off the charts. I was disappearing these effers so quickly I checked the ounce count on the bottle (more than once).

Conclusion. Not a great beer, but a great beer to have around if you want something that's not offensive and something you can drink a ton of if you keep it coming ice cold.

Ah, the High Life, fellas... the High Life.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.