Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
good
Read the review

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,100 | Ratings: 3,558
3.97/5  rDev +41.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass - reviewed as a cheap macro

A - Pours a clear gold with many bubbles streaming to the top. Nice fluffy two finger head with good retention that stayed intact all the way down the glass - remarkable for a macro. Left behind beautiful lacing!!!
I'm speechless!!!

S - A weak sweet malty smell - needs to be stronger

T - Sweet up front. The body is void of any real flavor other than a mild sweetness riding on a hardly perceptible malt background. Finnish is dry and champagney with a tiny bit of bitterness. Not a lot here, but not many offensive adjuncts either.. Much better than many of the other macros on the market

M - Thin as water and highly carbonated - refreshing, but could stand to be thicker. The carbonation suits the beer well though.

D - This beer really does have some champaign characteristics to it which make it highly drinkable. Yeah, it's not a complex macro, but this a delicious and cheap beer to have at a BBQ, on a hot day after wrenching on cars, with mexican food or even to enjoy by itself when looking for something simple. This beer also has a tremendous amount of sedimental value to me - my great grandpa used to drink one a day until he died at 98. Every time I drink one, I think of him and feel pride. High life will always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge.

3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

A: Pours a watery looking, very light stream of beer to form a voluminous (but not overly huge) bright white head on top of a very pale yellow beer. There is some, but not too much active carbonation. The head is very billowy, with bubbles of all sizes. The beer is perfectly clear, probably clearer than my tap water. 4.5/5

S: What smell there is is vaguely fruity with a little bit of grain. No hops. It's pretty clean, but this fruitiness bothers me. It's almost like water melon or cherries. This is really too much for an adjunct lager. I never thought I'd mark down a beer for being too good smelling. 3.5

T: The fruitiness is pretty much gone, well within an understandable range. There's still no hops, just a slight graininess, really not much for flavor at all. It's just what it should be I suppose, but I think they could get away with a little more packed in here. 4/5

M: Well, it's watery. As it should be. The carbonation and minimal hopping (being as there's minimal everything) lend it just a bit of sharp bitterness, but I don't know what I could tell much difference between the feel of this and some tonic water. 4.5/5

D: This is a highly drinkable beer. Both clean and mildly flavored, not much is going to stop you from putting a few of these down if that's what you want to do. There could be some better flavors to lure you in, and there are cleaner, less floral Adjunct Lagers out there, but High Life does a pretty good job. 4/5

3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

12 oz clear bottle of straw amber liquid assertively poured into a tulip (usually poured festively into my mouth) produces a huge creamy head of nearly three fingers with excellent retention that leaves some lacing. Looks like beer.

Smell is lightly grainy, but the grain is corn.. which I blasphemously like. Smells like beer.

Crisp, clean, nice and grainy with a light malt sweetness; a refreshing soda pop of a brew. Tastes like beer, definitely.

Drinkable as all get out...just not with your beer snob friends...or your macro snob friends. No idea why this beer gets treated so second-classily by the sheeple drinking macro pisswater Bud Light, etc. It ain't awful, it tastes good and goes down easy. I like it. So there.

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Drinking as i type this.

12 oz can onto Atlas Mason jar.

A: Golden with a nice four finger head. As head dissipates there is nice lacing up and down the glass. Head retention is not to bad for this type of beer as well.

S: I usually can smell only can but this must be a fresh batch. I get an odor of moldering apples, fresh grains, light malt, and tiniest ghost of a hop. The quintessential smell of beer.

T: Sometimes its too sweet for me, but its not too bad today. Tastes like childhood. Tastes like it smells with a metallic aftertaste, its a bit much out of the can, but I get the same effect from the bottle.

D: I could drink this beer all the day through. This beer keeps getting better until its too late, but I guess this is true with all alcohol and the hedonists that consume it. This was my Dad's beer of choice and the beer he weened me on. I always think of him when I have one, so to me this beer is fucking one of the best.

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Appearance: Classic packaging. Clear gold brew with a decent white head that provides excellent lacing in the glass.

Smell: Minor malt character, a hint of hops.

Taste: Clean malt flavor with a touch of hops. Good example of the classic American brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Smooth character.

Drinkablity: I have lived on this brew for decades. A sold brew for when you just want to have a cheap and unpretentious beer.

3.93/5  rDev +39.9%

A: Bright, clear straw color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head that dissipated quickly to an skim around the inside edge of the glass. Decanted continually. Laced the glass surprisingly well.

S: Grassy noble hops and green apples. Very little malt character, but a hint of buttery corn.

T: Light bisuity malt character and wet cereal. A hint of green apples ahead of long light bitter.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, light and dry.

D: One of those beers that nails the style guidelines but gets a regular beat-down by beer advocates that grace these pages.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

It looks like yellow fizz (some might call it piss water). But the labeling is iconic, so it gets a 3.

The smell is pretty mild, but pleasant. Think stale grass, sweet corn, slight citrus.

The taste is all in the finish, which is corn and pure science: a nearly perfect balance of mellow hops and and sweet malts. The aftertaste is mild and pleasant.

The mouth feel is highly carbonated and light to medium. Champagne of beers is correct.

Over all, I picked up a 12 for $7.49 at Target in 2015. That is bad ass deflation. Sure, they are a conglomerate, but that also has its upsides for the poor man.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

This is for a taste test between Miller High Life and MGD (as per forum posts this same day). Beer poured from 24oz big can into large Okocim glass (0.5L, this glass is awesome by the way). Head formation was brilliant for a macro lager and sticks to the glass in large chunks. Puffy cloudy head remains after a few sips, this thing won't go away, reminds me of a slightly lesser head from a tripel. Beer a very pale gold with TONS of bubbles, it's so nice. The smell is not great, but the taste makes up for it. Very smooth and crisp, almost like biting into an apple. It is fairly sweet, but very refreshing. This definitely goes with everybody's idea of a great summer beer.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

this is the BEST beer for casual drinking. forget amstel, this is the beer drinkers light beer. it must be consumed in bottles for one to fully aprichiate the goodness of the high life. I strongly encorage real beer drinkers to give high life a chance. it might not look classy, but it drinks like champange

3.91/5  rDev +39.1%

I only base my reviews based on the style of the beer.

Appearance is amazing for the style. Pours a three finger head that sticks to the side of the glass to the end. So the retention is great! Golden clear color with some carbonation bubbling up.

Sweet malt, some cooked grains, and a touch of grassy hops hit the nose. Nothing offensive.

The taste is classic American lager. Nothing over done just a good balance of clean grassy hops with a touch of bitterness. Some hits of cereal grains, sweet malts and clean finish.

I will put this lager up with my other favorite macro lagers in American (Pabst and Schlitz. Clean, easy drinking lager that is perfect for hotter weather. Yes, nothing in this beer is over done. But, that is why many like it. Just clean easy drinking with no nasty after taste just good balance for the style.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

For what it is,, a cheap macro is tastes pretty good. I will have to say that I think you have to have a taste for the ol' high life.. It does have a wicked corn smell. Its cheap just like PBR and actually has a taste. With my beer budget on the fritz right now, High Life is filling the void just fine. I have made this my go-to cheap beer in my fridge due to the fact that PBR isn't in every supermarket here in south florida and funny,,, its 50 cents cheaper a 12-pack than PBR.. After a long session on a friday night, no hangover like I get from AB products..
Cheers! Have a High Life

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.after a sweaty days work I don't want a beer that tastes like you could tar a roof with it.

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

Bought a 12 pack at local convenient mart.

Appearance: golden color with a nice amount of foam head.

Smell: Like any beer, amazing

Taste: Light hop taste, although a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Bitter

Drinkability: Goes down easy, great aftertaste. Can easily drink a case.

This is by far the best American macro lager that I have ever had!

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Appearance is a pale yellow with a nice head that lasted for the first few sips with a lace that continued down the entire glass.

Smell is nice for a macro with rice some sweet malts and mild hops.

Taste, most macros don't taste like beer (sorry AB I know you're consistant, but tasty, you're not). This one actually has the taste of malt and hops, and it finishes dry and a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel is wonderfull very light and crisp, just the right amount of carbination.

Drinkability, what a great session beer, it is easy to drink and inexpensive. When I have less money, I purchase the HIGH LIFE.

Great beer for a macro. I like it better than any AB product.

This is a nice beer. Macros are in a class by themselves, they're not great but some can be good. This beer is one of the good ones. Better than any other macro I have tasted.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

Well I'm very suprised I have been a long time craft beer drinker and have avoided all products by the big three Budweisser, Coors, and Miller.

I have to admit I was hesitant to drink this when a friend gave it to me but the first think that jumped to mind was I can reviuew it so lets give it a go.

A- clear golden yellow with a large head that faded to little more than a wisp.

S- not very hoppy at allI would guess this is probably mostly a grainy ( rice) beer not much malt either kinda watery but not overly. Honestly hard to put a finger on it but not as offensive as I would have thought a Miller product to be.

M- Very smooth light carbonation extremely drinkable and refreshing I could see this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn type of beer.

T- sweet , grainy ( rice )maybe, slightly fruity.

D- Best part of this beer very refreshing I could drink this all day no prob.

very suprising I would go to this any day before a bud or coors I have to be honest I am pleasently suprised.

Miller High Life
Miller Brewing Co. / SABMiller
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 5.00 %

4.5/3.5/4/3.5/4.0

This is not the best beer I have ever drank, but it is worth the money when your budget is tight. At $8 for a 12 pack of bottles the price is right. It is a bit sweeter than most other American macros, but it beats almost all other beers at this price in my opinion.

Appearance is clear golden straw in color with a surprising 2 finger head that lasts much longer than other macro swill.
Smell is a sweet corn/malts aroma with some malt smell.
Tastes as it smells with a light flavor and sweet finish. More flavor than most macros IMHO, although it is sweet.
Mouthfeel is thin-medium body with high carbonation.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

I always drink my high life out of cans!

This beer is a nice dark golden color that looks good in my glass.

It looks like beer, smells like beer, and tastes like beer...to keep it simple.

Drinkability is off the charts! This is my go-to macro, and will always be as long as Miller keeps it the same!

Prost!

3.85/5  rDev +37%

easily one of the best "old school" beers on the market...easily a top shelf lager...PBR is the only better old school beer,but thats been ruined by hipsters and prices have doubled or almost tripled in some areas

great with food...almost any kind of food.

perfect carbonation and good flavor....the best beer in the Miller stable

if youre a lager fan...this is an excellent choice...if youre an elitist...you probably wont like it

3.85/5  rDev +37%

Of all the yellow beers out there, this one is near the top of the pack. Sure, that isn't saying much, but sometimes you just feel like a cheap lager; and in such a situation, High Life isn't a very bad choice. It smells and tastes like almost every other macro out there, but there's a certain something, a bread-like taste that makes it a bit more substantial than Bud or Pabst.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

By far my favorite Miller product. It has all the trademarks of an American Adjunct Lager. I tend to drink this out of a can, rather than bottle so as to not have it skunked. Pours a brilliant gold, with a nice foamy head that does have a bit of retention to it. The smell is corn with a hint of malt. Hops are subdued. The beer is also malty, like a cereal. I've had it in all serving types. If you're light on greenbacks this will do in a pinch. Really. This beer is unoffensive and perhaps a good palate cleanser.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%

This is the beer that started it all for me. My first beer in high school. maybe i have a sweet spot for it, but if i'm out playing horseshoes with the boys or in the need of something refreshing after a hot day at work. this is where i go for a cheap refreshing beer. not much for the other light flavored beers. don't get me wrong if you hand me one i won't turn it down, but this is my go to for a cool off after work!

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

A: Light yellow color and good carbonation. Beautiful head formation with excellent retention and good lacing.

S: Clean and crisp. Bread with just a touch of hops.

T: Slightly tart and malty. Very nice for the style.

M: Very smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation.

D: These go down so easily, it's hard to describe!

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

A - Good golden appearance. Love the clear bottle.

S - Has a good smell.

T - Very corn-present taste, but I got used to it.

M - Good stuff.

D - Went ahead and bought a 12-pack of these because they were so cheap. Great price for this beer. Expected it to be bad because the price was so good, but it's one I'll have again.

3.81/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I thought this beer was fairly decent, but nothing that I would drink all of the time. It had a good taste and ok smell to it. On a hot summers day while cooking on the grill, i thought it really hit the spot, but most anything probably would. The mouthfeel of the beer was also average for a lager. This is the type of beer that my dad and grandpa would drink, but not really my favorite.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.