Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,356 | Reviews: 1,135
1.5/5  rDev -44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Don't know if I had a bad bottle, but it tasted skunked. Not for me.

1.99/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

The champagne of beers. Champagne sucks, drink beer

4.34/5  rDev +61.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really think this is an underrated beer. It is one of my favorite go to beers. I often drink it like a Mexican beer in the summer with some lime and salt. It's excellent and has a good refreshing flavor to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. I don't care much for Miller Lite, but regular Miller is the champagne of beers. One of my favorite American Lagers.

1.08/5  rDev -59.7%

Sweet and metallically bitter. Bit cloying. Not rating this against like Heady or anything, but rating it against it's contemporaries, which are marginally better than this.

2.37/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Look: Pale straw with a weak head that dissipates

Smell: Musty, strangely fruity, wet paper, vaguely grainy,

Taste-heavy on the sweet malts, slight notes of what I imagine cardboard would taste like, but not entirely unenjoyable. no real semblance of any hops

Feel-Agressively carbonated, very light

Look, if you're drinking this beer you know what it is. A macro-brewed adjuct that's stupid cheap. In my opinion, this is one of the better cheap, mass produced brews. If I'm at a barbeque on hot summer day eating burgs and lounging by the pool, it might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down either.

3.11/5  rDev +16%

Pours a nice golden color with carbonation. Tastes decently. Overall it is a decent beer but there are better lagers out there.

2.86/5  rDev +6.7%

Look: A pale straw color with a moderate head that lingers a bit before fading.

Smell: Not much to comment on here, just the standard "beer" smell of an American Adjunct

Taste: Now here's where I was dis appointed, this really may as well be beer-flavored seltzer water. There's really nothing too it, or if there is, it's such a subtle flavoring that my palate, which normally prefers stronger flavors, cannot detect it. I like lighter beers, but this is not a good example.

Feel: The carbonation is about right, goes down like soda.

Overall: But, all that being said, normally you're going to be throwing these back at a dollar a bottle at a bar special. It's not great beer, but it's solid for a mass produced national brand. It's not unpleasant in anyway, which is more than I can say for many other beers I've tried.

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't say that this is my favorite in the AAL category, but I still like it because I just like beer in general. My favorite aspect of High Life is I can often pick it up for $13.00 or so for a 30 pack.

Now before I hear the usual poo poo's of "you get what you pay for," I just don't believe most people could really tell the difference between most AAL's if given a blind taste test. I've done it many times with friends, and only two people out of dozens were truly able to ID their "favorite" AAL. Face it, most AAL's just aren't that much different. They are just good, inexpensive beverages that we enjoy!

With that in mind, I can't see paying $20.00 for a 18 pack of Budweiser (highly overrated) when I can pay $13.00 for a 30 pack of this.

Its just a decent, inexpensive beer. Take it for that.

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 24 oz can at my local gas station because...well, why not? Best by date on the bottom states it's optimal for another month. Poured right from the fridge into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

L: Crystal-clear and golden straw-colored with about an inch of white head that fell quickly but to a nice film leaving more lacing than I was expecting. Profuse visible carbonation.

S: Cracker malt notes with that characteristic corny aroma. Some subdued skunk. A little bit of something metallic coming through, as well.

T: Soda cracker malts at the front end, with a bit of a dry white wine sensation. The middle reveals some of those adjunct flavors--corn and rice are discernible along with the earlier malt flavors. The back end provides a brief identification with cider, which isn't unpleasant alongside the other flavors. What is more unpleasant are the subtle metallic notes that accompany the close, which is otherwise crisp and fleetingly tart from what must be some hop presence.

F: Light-bodied and substantially carbonated. This one goes down smoothly and ends cleanly. Again, this one feels a lot like a cider on the palate.

O: Well, no one expects much of High Life, other than it should deliver what High Life has always delivered: an easy-drinking beer that's not too hard on the taste buds and costs relatively little. With such meager expectations in mind--and perhaps bucking the general sentiment toward American adjunct lagers on this website--I have to say that this is not a bad beer. If bars I visit don't happen to have good craft selections and/or lines I know have been cleaned within the last five years, I'll often go to this one. It could be attributed to sentiment or homerism, but I genuinely believe this brew tastes pretty decent. Certainly not great, but more than passable.

1.79/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

It's miller. Don't expect much.

2.47/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not bad for a cheap AAL. It might not be as decent as I think it is, but it's quite nostalgic for me. This is one of the first beers I can remember relatives drinking at family gatherings. I thought those clear bottles were so cool. Why? I don't know.

2.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

when i was a kid, maybe my first or second summer drinking beer and living away from my folks sometime during high school, my friends and i saw twelve packs of bottles of high life on a pallet display for 4.99 apiece. we thought, what a heck of a price, and we polled up all our spending money and bought the whole darn thing. i think it was gone in a couple of weeks with our crew of dudes, and i had officially had my fill of this beer long before legal drinking age. it was never a bad beer, but in that kind of volume, it really destroyed its welcome pretty quickly. i occasionally revisit it now, at weddings and such, and when i do, i appreciate the memories a lot more than the beer (fuzzy as they are). its tangy and metallic in an unflattering way, but with that said, thats sort of its signature thing, and i could pick this out from a crowd of one hundred other american adjunct lagers. its refreshing when really cold, poundable to a truly sickening level, and is always cheap. maybe not as cheap as it used to be, but still downright inexpensive. just light its lighter brother, i prefer it much better from the can than the clear bottle, something about it is very different. overall nothing special, but its an important part of american history and my personal history, so it has a place in my heart, just not very often in my fridge.

2.11/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Having to justify my rating with a review is highly annoying.

3.26/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

As far as cheap beer goes, not bad.

1.69/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The "Champagne of Beers" is highly carbonated and tastes awful coming out of a can. Only way I can drink this is from the bottle. Used to get 40 oz. of these in college all the time. There's worse out there believe me.

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like the look. Used to drink a lot of this beer back in the day. Had a chance to drink again this past weekend and remembered. That this in not a bad option. Not saying this is the best beer in the world but it's not awful either

3.15/5  rDev +17.5%

Old trusty! I can honestly say I am never ashamed to pick up a High Life and chug it down. It is watered down, mild, but still has that classic taste I remember. It is a beer you can have 12 of at a party and just finally start to catch a buzz!

1.64/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I agree that the label is the only thing that saves this beer

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Beer - water. Nice Retro label, though.

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This was probably the worst beer I've ever had.

3.41/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Good summer beer, I don't know why I like it so much. I love lagers.

1.63/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Just horrible every time I've tried it, and I have nothing against the big brewers.

3.44/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Highly carbonated, but really, not that bad of a typical American adjunct. Good for hot wings and football.

1.83/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Miller is not the worst beer I have ever drank. However, it is very close. It has a big popularity because of the cost. Have heard it called fermented piss, while i don't agree I still don't enjoy Miller.

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with good head. Cereal grain aroma, not much hop in the nose. Taste is good, good blend of hop and grain, not overly sweet. Good texture. Not a bad beer

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.