Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,078 | Hads: 3,396
3.54/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured from 24-ounce can into a pilsner glass. Second pour. The first pour was into a rocks glass to sample, which yielded a funky aroma. When poured into the pilsner glass, however, the aroma brightened up considerably. A little bit of funk, with more maltiness on the nose. Reminiscent of a wheat beer, possibly because of the adjuncts in the grain bill. Appearance was surprisingly nice, a golden yellow with lots of carbonation and a substantial white head that left quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Taste was nothing special and the mouthfeel was rather thin, but this one offered considerably more depth of flavor than many (most?) AAL's out there. A little bitterness on the tail end to finish this off. Pleasantly surprised by this one. Refreshing, cheap, and a good food beer. Worth revisiting if you haven't checked it out in a while. (847 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +10.7%

Consumed straight out of a 32 ounce bottle on August 22, 2015. Drunk at 55 degrees F with a date of "June0115" on it.

Clear pale yellow brew with lots of carbonation and a persistent white head.

Aroma is subtle and sweet and grainy.

Flavor is likewise soft and simple: husky grain, some corn and a lightly sweet finish with only a hint of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Strangely, some alcohol heat.

Utterly inoffensive and hits exactly the target they wanted. Not for me, though (510 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Review #1000.

Appearance: Perfectly clear pale straw gold. Head is bright-white, creamy, and bubbly. Decent retention from a lively carbonation keeps at least a clump of a cap for the duration. A few splotches and small notches of lacing. Forms a nice web as the beer goes down.

Smell: Grass, corn husk. Sweet, super sweet. Cereal grains. Lots of grass and hay husk. Pale malt. Corn syrup sweetness. A soft touch of lager yeast under it all. Solidly earthy hop profile, especially as it warms. A touch of cracker in the back with some soggy white bread. A soft push of alcohol runs through the back. Not a ton of depth or complexity.

Taste: Sweet corn and grass clippings. Sweet pale malt. Slightly earthy with some soft herbal elements. Hay, straw, and grass. Corn husk. Cereal grain. Soft touch of alcohol on the back. A little dirty. Husk and grain. Sweet, very sweet. Light corn syrup. Dirt. Warming waters everything down and produces a bland mix of straw and old grass clippings. Sweetness persists through each sip but never really increases or becomes cloying. Flavor flashes on the initial sip and finishes immediately with almost nothing left.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a moderate to high carbonation. Slightly crisp. A little slick on the finish.

Overall: Celebrate in style.

This is still my go-to when slumming it. It's sweet without being syrupy and the carbonation isn't too high. It goes down quick and easy with minimal fuss and warms better than just about anything in the style. I drank this at midnight on my 21st birthday and it's nice to revisit it for the beer it actually is after a long hiatus. You could do a lot worse. (1,653 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Translucent pale yellow. Thin white head.

Smell: Faint hint of malt and corn.

Taste: Not very strong, but sweet corn, some bread, rice.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but very carbonated.

Overall: A good beer for the price, which is cheap. Light and easy to drink. (295 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a light golden color with clumpy head. Smells like putrid fermented corn. Tastes like every other adjunct lager. Goes down smooth though, no bitterness. Overall, not recommended. (184 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Recently was left a cooler full. Normally don't buy this but I figured I'd keep it. It's been hot as balls out lately so I been drinking these with lime and they are actually pretty refreshing. (193 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz. clear bottle into a Pilsner Glass

A - Virtually no head. What head this is is white and very thin. Clear. Straw in color. Very fast rising carbonation. 3/5

S - Heavier on corn than most beers of this style. Light floral hoppiness. Hint of grains. 2.75/5

T - Light corn and grainy up front. Most of the flavor is of hops on the back end. Floral hops. Not much else to report. 3/5

M - Very carbonated. Scrubbing bubbles sensation. Very dry on the back end. Very crisp and clean. Light bodied. 3.25/5

O - Not a lot going on with this beer but not a lot expected either. Very simple and light. Good beer for a hot day or with food. Great gameday beer. Familiar, enjoyable, and could easily down several of these. 3/5 (747 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

My preferred method to enjoy this fine, craft beer is in a 32oz. can wrapped snugly in a brown paper sack. Yep, pretty much right from the local vendor's cooler to you. This is actually a decent beer for the price, I like it better than the other beers stacked next to it in the chiller. Not much to really judge, just a decent, cheap beer. (340 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%

The smell and look aren't anything special. Feels almost thick, very carbonated, bold lager flavour.

Pretty good for the price and taste. The better, if not best of the cheap tier beers I've had. My "every day" go to beer. (224 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really think this is an underrated beer. It is one of my favorite go to beers. I often drink it like a Mexican beer in the summer with some lime and salt. It's excellent and has a good refreshing flavor to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. I don't care much for Miller Lite, but regular Miller is the champagne of beers. One of my favorite American Lagers. (364 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -62.8%

Sweet and metallically bitter. Bit cloying. Not rating this against like Heady or anything, but rating it against it's contemporaries, which are marginally better than this. (173 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Look: Pale straw with a weak head that dissipates

Smell: Musty, strangely fruity, wet paper, vaguely grainy,

Taste-heavy on the sweet malts, slight notes of what I imagine cardboard would taste like, but not entirely unenjoyable. no real semblance of any hops

Feel-Agressively carbonated, very light

Look, if you're drinking this beer you know what it is. A macro-brewed adjuct that's stupid cheap. In my opinion, this is one of the better cheap, mass produced brews. If I'm at a barbeque on hot summer day eating burgs and lounging by the pool, it might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down either. (620 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -1.4%

Look: A pale straw color with a moderate head that lingers a bit before fading.

Smell: Not much to comment on here, just the standard "beer" smell of an American Adjunct

Taste: Now here's where I was dis appointed, this really may as well be beer-flavored seltzer water. There's really nothing too it, or if there is, it's such a subtle flavoring that my palate, which normally prefers stronger flavors, cannot detect it. I like lighter beers, but this is not a good example.

Feel: The carbonation is about right, goes down like soda.

Overall: But, all that being said, normally you're going to be throwing these back at a dollar a bottle at a bar special. It's not great beer, but it's solid for a mass produced national brand. It's not unpleasant in anyway, which is more than I can say for many other beers I've tried. (825 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't say that this is my favorite in the AAL category, but I still like it because I just like beer in general. My favorite aspect of High Life is I can often pick it up for $13.00 or so for a 30 pack.

Now before I hear the usual poo poo's of "you get what you pay for," I just don't believe most people could really tell the difference between most AAL's if given a blind taste test. I've done it many times with friends, and only two people out of dozens were truly able to ID their "favorite" AAL. Face it, most AAL's just aren't that much different. They are just good, inexpensive beverages that we enjoy!

With that in mind, I can't see paying $20.00 for a 18 pack of Budweiser (highly overrated) when I can pay $13.00 for a 30 pack of this.

Its just a decent, inexpensive beer. Take it for that. (812 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 24 oz can at my local gas station because...well, why not? Best by date on the bottom states it's optimal for another month. Poured right from the fridge into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

L: Crystal-clear and golden straw-colored with about an inch of white head that fell quickly but to a nice film leaving more lacing than I was expecting. Profuse visible carbonation.

S: Cracker malt notes with that characteristic corny aroma. Some subdued skunk. A little bit of something metallic coming through, as well.

T: Soda cracker malts at the front end, with a bit of a dry white wine sensation. The middle reveals some of those adjunct flavors--corn and rice are discernible along with the earlier malt flavors. The back end provides a brief identification with cider, which isn't unpleasant alongside the other flavors. What is more unpleasant are the subtle metallic notes that accompany the close, which is otherwise crisp and fleetingly tart from what must be some hop presence.

F: Light-bodied and substantially carbonated. This one goes down smoothly and ends cleanly. Again, this one feels a lot like a cider on the palate.

O: Well, no one expects much of High Life, other than it should deliver what High Life has always delivered: an easy-drinking beer that's not too hard on the taste buds and costs relatively little. With such meager expectations in mind--and perhaps bucking the general sentiment toward American adjunct lagers on this website--I have to say that this is not a bad beer. If bars I visit don't happen to have good craft selections and/or lines I know have been cleaned within the last five years, I'll often go to this one. It could be attributed to sentiment or homerism, but I genuinely believe this brew tastes pretty decent. Certainly not great, but more than passable. (1,816 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not bad for a cheap AAL. It might not be as decent as I think it is, but it's quite nostalgic for me. This is one of the first beers I can remember relatives drinking at family gatherings. I thought those clear bottles were so cool. Why? I don't know. (251 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

when i was a kid, maybe my first or second summer drinking beer and living away from my folks sometime during high school, my friends and i saw twelve packs of bottles of high life on a pallet display for 4.99 apiece. we thought, what a heck of a price, and we polled up all our spending money and bought the whole darn thing. i think it was gone in a couple of weeks with our crew of dudes, and i had officially had my fill of this beer long before legal drinking age. it was never a bad beer, but in that kind of volume, it really destroyed its welcome pretty quickly. i occasionally revisit it now, at weddings and such, and when i do, i appreciate the memories a lot more than the beer (fuzzy as they are). its tangy and metallic in an unflattering way, but with that said, thats sort of its signature thing, and i could pick this out from a crowd of one hundred other american adjunct lagers. its refreshing when really cold, poundable to a truly sickening level, and is always cheap. maybe not as cheap as it used to be, but still downright inexpensive. just light its lighter brother, i prefer it much better from the can than the clear bottle, something about it is very different. overall nothing special, but its an important part of american history and my personal history, so it has a place in my heart, just not very often in my fridge. (1,350 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The "Champagne of Beers" is highly carbonated and tastes awful coming out of a can. Only way I can drink this is from the bottle. Used to get 40 oz. of these in college all the time. There's worse out there believe me. (218 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like the look. Used to drink a lot of this beer back in the day. Had a chance to drink again this past weekend and remembered. That this in not a bad option. Not saying this is the best beer in the world but it's not awful either (233 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Old trusty! I can honestly say I am never ashamed to pick up a High Life and chug it down. It is watered down, mild, but still has that classic taste I remember. It is a beer you can have 12 of at a party and just finally start to catch a buzz! (247 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Miller is not the worst beer I have ever drank. However, it is very close. It has a big popularity because of the cost. Have heard it called fermented piss, while i don't agree I still don't enjoy Miller. (204 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with good head. Cereal grain aroma, not much hop in the nose. Taste is good, good blend of hop and grain, not overly sweet. Good texture. Not a bad beer (188 characters)

i love miller high life no matter how many other beers i drink high life has remained my go to no bullshit after work beer some people think price makes a beer better well from what i see the lighter the calories in the beer ,the lower the alcohol content the more fuckin money they want for it and the more i have to drink to get a buzz high life you drink two or three and the party is started (395 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From a bottle
This lager is not too sweet, as some critics say it is, the corn sweetness is not too bad and it's well balanced with the rest of the ingredients. Forget about the stupid beer logo and slogan "the champaign of beer" I wish MBC would get rid of that slogan already. This is just a good tasting AAL and very low priced. (331 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Has craft brewing ruined the party? Check out the legendary "Bros" rating. 80. Yup 80. Why? How could they? Is it because Miller High Life is, was, and always will be the best party beer on the market? You can bet your only can of "Heady Topper" it is. Try drinking 12 cans of Heady Topper. I guarantee you will puke. Not so with High Life. Light, crisp, slight hop taste with a wet finish. Easily put away 12 of these babies with no sickness or bloated feeling. No headache. High Life deserves more credit. It taught us all how to drink beers. (547 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.