2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,480 | Reviews: 996 | Show All Ratings:
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

1.13/5  rDev -57.8%

Another Miller's product I had the misfortune to encounter while on holiday in Tobago.

'The Champagne of beers' my arse!

Clear 12oz bottle of almost clear looking watery liquid which when poured produced no head or aroma what-so-ever.

Why do people buy such tasteless fizzy rubbish? I did, not knowing 'high life' really means 'low life' in American brewing advertising. I won't be making that mistake again.

06-24-2008 18:55:25 | More by BlackHaddock
hardy008

1.18/5  rDev -56%

Appearance - Pale with very little color. Little foam or lace present
Smell - Corn and not much else
Taste - Skunky and green, the cheap corn taste comes through.
Mouthfeel - a lot of carbonation, not much else.
Drinkability - Poor. this is another example of a poorly made mass produced beer.

02-16-2008 22:49:44 | More by hardy008
Brad007

Vermont

1.2/5  rDev -55.2%

Pours a light yellow color with some head that wears off. Aroma is very corny and sweet. Taste is somewhat bland though. Very light taste of corn adjunct. Really nothing like the label says (not really a surprise there). I'll even venture as far as to say that I prefer Miller Lite to this.

08-18-2007 00:53:44 | More by Brad007
yesyouam

1.2/5  rDev -55.2%

(12 oz. can)
Miller High Life is a very sparkling light golden lager with an ample white head. It actually has good retention and leaves good lacing. How about it. The aroma is faint and of corn and butane. It is watery and slightly bubbly on the tongue. There isn't really any flavor except for maybe some strange chemicals.
(rated May 26, 2007)

12-15-2008 14:58:00 | More by yesyouam
bort11

Missouri

1.23/5  rDev -54.1%

Had this with my dad after spending a weekend rebuilding a porch. There was some of these left over in my fridge from an earlier party. I was too hot and tired to be able to really enjoy a good beer. I figured that this couldn't hurt...wrong!

It's a clear, watered down apple juice yellow. It is super fizzy, so it creates a massive head, almost had a spill over. Usually this is an attractive feature to me, but this was over doing it. Smelled like corn. Tastes like corn oil. Mouthfeel is light, fizzy, and oily.

I physically cannot drink cheap macro beers anymore. Whenever I do, I get an upset stomach.

06-07-2006 18:20:40 | More by bort11
elgiacomo

Georgia

1.23/5  rDev -54.1%

Jun 20, 2009

12oz. bottle.

Drank a lot of this back in the day as it was a big favorite of my brother. I never could get into it. Always had a real syrupy mouthfeel for a pale lager which defeated a lot of the refreshment purpose of these types of beers. Flavor was very standard for the style. Gimme a PBR over this any day!

01-11-2010 03:31:34 | More by elgiacomo
TastyTaste

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

I used to drink this stuff all the time, so I decided to revisit it. At $10.49 a case of bottles, it is extremely cheap. Crystal clear golden color, with a short lived white head. Smells of corn and malt. Tastes extremely sweet, and gainy, not very good at all. Not a beer to buy.

12-19-2003 05:24:36 | More by TastyTaste
jasonpeckins32

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

Not a very good beer here. It pours a golden yellow color and actually has a nice foamy head, but other than that, there's not too much to excite about. It smells like grains and bread and it tastes like pure bread. I guess there's a little grain and ass flavor in there too, but I really dont understand why it tastes and smells so much like bread. A lethal amount of yeast or something? I guess this one might be okay if you want to tip back 30 of 'em and get hammered all day, but dont count on it tasting very good.

04-09-2005 05:19:55 | More by jasonpeckins32
DrunkMcDermott

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

Skunked? Gosh, it’s not supposed to be, with its isomerized hops and all. Tried it from the bottle, tried it in a glass, both gave me a big mouthfeel of some plastic dissolved in it. Gotta say it loudly: THIS IS NOT BEER! It’s the Champale, not the Champagne, of beers.

07-20-2005 15:27:05 | More by DrunkMcDermott
electricfields

Idaho

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

A: Fizzy. Yellow. Bubbly head dissipates quickly. Seriously, I poured this thing less than 30 seconds ago, and it's about halfway gone. A little bit of fizz sticks around on top an leaves some light lacing.

S: Corn and vomit. I'm not kidding. This stuff actually smells like vomit. But at least it smells like vomit that's cut with corn.

T: Lots of corn. Lots of water. Tastes a little metallic. Puzzling since I'm not drinking it from a can. Sort of gets this nasty spoiled grain taste as it warms a bit. I can't taste any hops to speak of, but I assume that since this is technically able to be sold as beer, they're there. Drink this ice cold. And fast if you can choke it down.

M: Sort of fizzy and thin, but not awful. This is the best thing about this beer.

D: This beer is so gross I can only drink one of them before wanting to move on to something a bit nicer to wash the taste of it out of my mouth.

I'm generally not one to trash a beer this thoroughly, but this might be one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I figured it'd be inoffensive enough on a hot summer day, but I was wrong. Should've stuck to Pabst.

07-19-2009 01:00:30 | More by electricfields
germanbeer1

Maine

1.3/5  rDev -51.5%

Miller High Life was not a pleasant drinking experience. The gold coloring falsely implies a clean refreshing taste, however, the taste was just bad. It really was like a massive rush of metallic slopiness hitting my taste buds at one time and I was unable to finish the beer. I would recommend Miller Genuine Draft and Miller Lite over High Life.

11-24-2008 05:02:04 | More by germanbeer1
RyanBelle

Ontario (Canada)

1.3/5  rDev -51.5%

This beer is rather bitter and nothing special compared to the rest of the American Macro Lagers I have tried. I really think they could up the ante on such a hyped up beer. The carbonation is super low and it's not one bit crisp on the tongue, either. All I taste is stagnant fizzy water that seemed to have been passed through a bag of metallic minerals.

02-15-2010 05:31:17 | More by RyanBelle
oldp0rt

Quebec (Canada)

1.3/5  rDev -51.5%

Well this was a disappointment. I enjoy the Miller Genuine Draft and saw this (The Champagne of beers).

I now know that Champagne of beers is another way of saying, all the left over crap in the brewery mixed into an attractive bottle.

I think the taste would be the same as drinking diluted rubbing alcohol.

On the bright side this beer is inexpensive.

03-07-2011 21:46:57 | More by oldp0rt
h0pg0blin

1.3/5  rDev -51.5%

This beer made me physically ill...I know its on the cheaper end, but given the poor quality i still felt ripped off.

The appearance is a light shade of bum-urine.

Smell is of stagnant water and hops, or whatever they scraped off the brewery floor.

What can i say about the taste? there is none to speak of, it was a chore to get this shit down my throat.

Mouthfeel was extremely watered down as i expected,i can't imagine the type of people that enjoy this.

This beer is un-drinkable in every way,but im sure there's some man/woman out there driving down the road, singing along to ac/dc, waving their welfare check out the window, that can't wait to get some.

03-11-2011 11:24:40 | More by h0pg0blin
Thorpe429

1.33/5  rDev -50.4%

A: Slightly golden with an okay white head and some carbonation.

S: Some hints of grain in addition to the smell of adjuncts.

T: Not at all good. Almost tastes like fake beer with metal in it.

M: Too much carbonation and a weird metallic vibe to it. Feels and tastes like I bit my tongue.

D: Same as the mouthfeel. Absolutely stay away from this one. As far as I'm concerned, the worst of the macros.

05-02-2009 16:25:20 | More by Thorpe429
kcr357

1.33/5  rDev -50.4%

I picked up a four pack at a gas station half and hour before new years, this seemed to be the least nasty of what was offered. I have seen others comparing the appearance to urine; that is a lie, drinking urine would be an improvement. Pours an incredibly foamy white head; the stench emanating is reminiscent of unscented laundry detergent, rotting vegetable matter, and metal. Has a bitter sensation unlike a good IPA; imagine consuming arsenic or rat poison, same idea. Oily, sudzy, metallic, non edible are ways to describe the mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there with battery acid, your body will know this is not something to be consumed in any quantity and respond with near instant objections.

01-01-2011 06:14:56 | More by kcr357
demo3210

Maine

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had. Actually, it is. My friends and I thought this would be a good change from National Bohemian since this was on sale for 11 bux for a 30pack. A hell of a deal in my book. Turns out, I will never buy or drink this beer no matter what ever again. I'd rather be sober as a bird than drink this garbage for free.

Upon opening the beer and pouring into the glass, there was a TON of head! About 3 fingers. Head is usually associated with a good beer in my opinion like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, etc., but not this beer.

The smell is that of a typical macro-brew except -1. The taste is slightly better than that of a National Bohemian. Those of you that aren't familiar with National Bohemian it is an extremely cheap beer that is only about 10 dollars for a 12 pack. It is purely a Maryland domestic beer, but it is the best value for your money. NB is of a slightly less caliber than Coors Light. But anyway, High Life's mouthfeel is horrible and has a foam feel to it when it's in your mouth.

The drinkability is even more horrible as well as this beer makes you extremely full extremely fast. Also the next day you feel like a complete fat-ass when you roll out of bed and you can just feel it latch onto your fatty-liver and gut.

When you look at your glass afterwards, you can see all the foam and sugars latch onto the glass of your beer and it's really quite disgusting. I've never had such an experience with such a cheap macro-beer. Sam Adams, I get the residue in the glass, I understand it and it doesn't look dirty, it looks natural. High Life looks utterly disgusting and you just wonder what the hell it's doing in your stomach.

If your having a party and you really feel like skimping out on the beer without skimping out on quantity, get this I suppose. I'd rather drink any other macro-beer besides this. At least scum-beers like Natural Light and Busch Light don't make you so damn full.

Oh, and as far as power hours go, DO NOT USE THIS BEER!

02-27-2008 18:27:35 | More by demo3210
imaguitargod

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

Well, I didn't have much money for this week so I though I would pick up a 12 pack of canned, yellow fizzy stuff for $6.99 just to last me the week. They call this "The Champagne of Beers" apparently due to the unusually high amount of carbonation and lack of taste.

Pours to a HUGE head that just sat there for a good few minutes before subsiding. The taste on this is...ummm...hmmm...taste....can you really adequately describe the taste of water? This tastes just like that. Yet, worse somehow. This "beer" is the true definition of "yellow fizzy stuff".

07-21-2008 17:44:03 | More by imaguitargod
changeup45

1.43/5  rDev -46.6%

I can't believe I never reviewed this beer. I guess when you review one you feel like you've reviewed em all. This is a bad beer but considering it's competition I suppose you could do worse. Low quality corn, grain, rice, malty mix that doesn't taste very good. It's watery enough to make it go down without too much of a grimace. Barely drinkable and a notch above the pour-down-the-drain Beast level. It is cheap as hell so at least it's got that going for it.

08-28-2008 18:09:19 | More by changeup45
santoslhalper

1.45/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours a piss yellow with no head. Smells of hardly anything, hints of grain and bread. Tastes bad, but honestly the best Miller offering. Tastes like 2 year old cereal. But not as bad as most macros. Had this at a party, and I won't have it again. I like how every review of this beer has to have an explanation as to why they had it. Anways, avoid this.

11-15-2004 05:37:23 | More by santoslhalper
BlurryVisi0n

1.5/5  rDev -44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Poured unto a pint.

Appearance: Clear yellow, white head pretty subtle but comes off 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light hops, nothing extravagant here.

Taste: Slight corn, comes off like a light lager but slightly bitter, not so tasty but nothing i would buy again (thank god I didn't).

Mouth: Light-medium carbonation, easy to drink not easy to love but thus far not a bad balance.

Overall: I personally would not purchase this beer, not to knock on Miller but I do drink before I look anything up and this is nothing crazy, no need to disrespect but if you consider yourself a beer connoisseur you have to be a low life to like the "High Life". Salud!

01-21-2012 07:41:33 | More by BlurryVisi0n
Marti403

1.53/5  rDev -42.9%

What do you do when 75 cent busch light bottles run out? replace them with miller high life. Looks better than regular BMC products and smells slightly more citrusy as well, but far from good. tastes old and stale which is somewhat of a let down but overall it's doable. Follow your normal "free beer" rules with this. I wouldn't even do beer pong or tailgate with this beer.

02-15-2012 21:12:47 | More by Marti403
BeerTaster

1.55/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer makes my top 10 worst beers at least from what I've had so far. Appearance nice white head that stuck around a bit longer than I expected and even left a little lace. Smell cheep adjunents not much hop. Taste much the same as the smell with a bit of a funny aftertaste. Mouthfeel very high carbonation a bit to much if you ask me. Drinkability no thanks.

02-28-2008 16:41:14 | More by BeerTaster
rye726

Colorado

1.58/5  rDev -41%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Man this is another over priced macro in my opinion. Basic yellow color with tan head. Bad smelling hops and old malts. Taste is of flat malt.

The feel is light and very carbonated. Miller is another macro that I will never buy. I might drink one if its the last beer on earth... or maybe not.

05-05-2008 05:19:38 | More by rye726
CFHMagnet

1.58/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a tall-boy can into pilsner glass. Can marked June1311 on bottom. I am reviewing this beer because it is THE beer my father has drank...ever since he got out of the navy after serving more than 8 years.

A. A rather mild pour yields 3, yes 3 fingers of big, bubbly, foamy white head. The body is an unremarkable, practically clear yellow color. Bubbles are observed rising to to the top in a slow but regular fashion. As the head slowly dies I pour more into my glass, and note that the head, although large, shrinks in a few minutes, and really is rather weak. Has an odd lacing on the top of the glass, but this doesn't keep going as I drink, just sits at the top.

S. Weak. I smell corn, the ghost of grain and metal. At least it isn't skunked.

T. Pretty much follows the nose. LOTS of corn, a bit of grain, but the metal is a little more downplayed.

M. Ever had water? You know, H2O? Yeah, it's kinda like that, with a little carbonation.

O. Overall, this is possibly the worst beer I've had in my life. I've only drank a handful of these in the past, because even in my macro brew days, I steered clear of my father's beer. The only thing this beer has going for it is the can I picked up has a pretty lady on it. Honestly, the warmer it gets, the more I get metal and corn. I believe this will be my last in my lifetime.

06-11-2011 04:32:55 | More by CFHMagnet
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.