1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,478 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
kcr357

1.33/5  rDev -50.4%

I picked up a four pack at a gas station half and hour before new years, this seemed to be the least nasty of what was offered. I have seen others comparing the appearance to urine; that is a lie, drinking urine would be an improvement. Pours an incredibly foamy white head; the stench emanating is reminiscent of unscented laundry detergent, rotting vegetable matter, and metal. Has a bitter sensation unlike a good IPA; imagine consuming arsenic or rat poison, same idea. Oily, sudzy, metallic, non edible are ways to describe the mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there with battery acid, your body will know this is not something to be consumed in any quantity and respond with near instant objections.

01-01-2011 06:14:56 | More by kcr357
demo3210

Maine

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had. Actually, it is. My friends and I thought this would be a good change from National Bohemian since this was on sale for 11 bux for a 30pack. A hell of a deal in my book. Turns out, I will never buy or drink this beer no matter what ever again. I'd rather be sober as a bird than drink this garbage for free.

Upon opening the beer and pouring into the glass, there was a TON of head! About 3 fingers. Head is usually associated with a good beer in my opinion like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, etc., but not this beer.

The smell is that of a typical macro-brew except -1. The taste is slightly better than that of a National Bohemian. Those of you that aren't familiar with National Bohemian it is an extremely cheap beer that is only about 10 dollars for a 12 pack. It is purely a Maryland domestic beer, but it is the best value for your money. NB is of a slightly less caliber than Coors Light. But anyway, High Life's mouthfeel is horrible and has a foam feel to it when it's in your mouth.

The drinkability is even more horrible as well as this beer makes you extremely full extremely fast. Also the next day you feel like a complete fat-ass when you roll out of bed and you can just feel it latch onto your fatty-liver and gut.

When you look at your glass afterwards, you can see all the foam and sugars latch onto the glass of your beer and it's really quite disgusting. I've never had such an experience with such a cheap macro-beer. Sam Adams, I get the residue in the glass, I understand it and it doesn't look dirty, it looks natural. High Life looks utterly disgusting and you just wonder what the hell it's doing in your stomach.

If your having a party and you really feel like skimping out on the beer without skimping out on quantity, get this I suppose. I'd rather drink any other macro-beer besides this. At least scum-beers like Natural Light and Busch Light don't make you so damn full.

Oh, and as far as power hours go, DO NOT USE THIS BEER!

02-27-2008 18:27:35 | More by demo3210
imaguitargod

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

Well, I didn't have much money for this week so I though I would pick up a 12 pack of canned, yellow fizzy stuff for $6.99 just to last me the week. They call this "The Champagne of Beers" apparently due to the unusually high amount of carbonation and lack of taste.

Pours to a HUGE head that just sat there for a good few minutes before subsiding. The taste on this is...ummm...hmmm...taste....can you really adequately describe the taste of water? This tastes just like that. Yet, worse somehow. This "beer" is the true definition of "yellow fizzy stuff".

07-21-2008 17:44:03 | More by imaguitargod
changeup45

1.43/5  rDev -46.6%

I can't believe I never reviewed this beer. I guess when you review one you feel like you've reviewed em all. This is a bad beer but considering it's competition I suppose you could do worse. Low quality corn, grain, rice, malty mix that doesn't taste very good. It's watery enough to make it go down without too much of a grimace. Barely drinkable and a notch above the pour-down-the-drain Beast level. It is cheap as hell so at least it's got that going for it.

08-28-2008 18:09:19 | More by changeup45
santoslhalper

1.45/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours a piss yellow with no head. Smells of hardly anything, hints of grain and bread. Tastes bad, but honestly the best Miller offering. Tastes like 2 year old cereal. But not as bad as most macros. Had this at a party, and I won't have it again. I like how every review of this beer has to have an explanation as to why they had it. Anways, avoid this.

11-15-2004 05:37:23 | More by santoslhalper
BlurryVisi0n

1.5/5  rDev -44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Poured unto a pint.

Appearance: Clear yellow, white head pretty subtle but comes off 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light hops, nothing extravagant here.

Taste: Slight corn, comes off like a light lager but slightly bitter, not so tasty but nothing i would buy again (thank god I didn't).

Mouth: Light-medium carbonation, easy to drink not easy to love but thus far not a bad balance.

Overall: I personally would not purchase this beer, not to knock on Miller but I do drink before I look anything up and this is nothing crazy, no need to disrespect but if you consider yourself a beer connoisseur you have to be a low life to like the "High Life". Salud!

01-21-2012 07:41:33 | More by BlurryVisi0n
Marti403

1.53/5  rDev -42.9%

What do you do when 75 cent busch light bottles run out? replace them with miller high life. Looks better than regular BMC products and smells slightly more citrusy as well, but far from good. tastes old and stale which is somewhat of a let down but overall it's doable. Follow your normal "free beer" rules with this. I wouldn't even do beer pong or tailgate with this beer.

02-15-2012 21:12:47 | More by Marti403
BeerTaster

1.55/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer makes my top 10 worst beers at least from what I've had so far. Appearance nice white head that stuck around a bit longer than I expected and even left a little lace. Smell cheep adjunents not much hop. Taste much the same as the smell with a bit of a funny aftertaste. Mouthfeel very high carbonation a bit to much if you ask me. Drinkability no thanks.

02-28-2008 16:41:14 | More by BeerTaster
rye726

Colorado

1.58/5  rDev -41%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Man this is another over priced macro in my opinion. Basic yellow color with tan head. Bad smelling hops and old malts. Taste is of flat malt.

The feel is light and very carbonated. Miller is another macro that I will never buy. I might drink one if its the last beer on earth... or maybe not.

05-05-2008 05:19:38 | More by rye726
CFHMagnet

1.58/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a tall-boy can into pilsner glass. Can marked June1311 on bottom. I am reviewing this beer because it is THE beer my father has drank...ever since he got out of the navy after serving more than 8 years.

A. A rather mild pour yields 3, yes 3 fingers of big, bubbly, foamy white head. The body is an unremarkable, practically clear yellow color. Bubbles are observed rising to to the top in a slow but regular fashion. As the head slowly dies I pour more into my glass, and note that the head, although large, shrinks in a few minutes, and really is rather weak. Has an odd lacing on the top of the glass, but this doesn't keep going as I drink, just sits at the top.

S. Weak. I smell corn, the ghost of grain and metal. At least it isn't skunked.

T. Pretty much follows the nose. LOTS of corn, a bit of grain, but the metal is a little more downplayed.

M. Ever had water? You know, H2O? Yeah, it's kinda like that, with a little carbonation.

O. Overall, this is possibly the worst beer I've had in my life. I've only drank a handful of these in the past, because even in my macro brew days, I steered clear of my father's beer. The only thing this beer has going for it is the can I picked up has a pretty lady on it. Honestly, the warmer it gets, the more I get metal and corn. I believe this will be my last in my lifetime.

06-11-2011 04:32:55 | More by CFHMagnet
Mavigo

1.59/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured this in a mug.

A: Poured a clear light yellow color with a short white head with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells like grain, corn, grass

T: Like I was expecting, not so good, tastes of corn, grains, and some weird mystery flavor in the backdrop

M: Watery consistency, medium carbonation, easy to chug, you just have to get passed the strange flavors

O: Should be called low life or no life, a cheap beer such as this is a depressing and ironic interpretation of the " high life", why get the hopes up of the people that have to drink cheap beer. Wouldn't have this again

03-09-2013 22:21:41 | More by Mavigo
Goliath

1.6/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours a vibrant light golden color and is "crystal clear". A half inch foamy white head forms on the pour. Poor retention and some spotty lace.

The aroma is typical. Some sweet pale malt, kind of bready with no hint of hops.

The taste is pretty terrible. Sweet pale malt, with no definite characteristic. I don't really know what to say, I just know I don't like it.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavor is kind of making me sick. Poorly constructed and not enjoyable.

09-24-2008 21:13:08 | More by Goliath
AussieInPhilly

1.63/5  rDev -39.2%

What kind of a beer drinker would be alured by the concept of his brew tasting like champagne? In short this terrible drink made me feel as if I was a kid who had snuck into his Dad's tool shed and slammed down a bottle of chemicals. If you aren't ashamed to walk out of a store with this one, then perhaps you should walk out with a case of "Natural Light" instead? 1,000,000 college kids can't be wrong! Take it easy boys and girls!

07-07-2005 08:01:36 | More by AussieInPhilly
supernaut

In a word: "average."

....even for a macro brew this beer represents the average. I guess thats pretty much what they're going for though. Every once in awhile I have to pick up a sixer of HL just to remind myself of why I spend $10+ per bottle for the good stuff. It pretty much embodies the qualities of what people like my grandfather expected from their beer. Essentially something devoid of any immediate bitterness or "flavor", yet something that provided a brief escape from the life that was 50's and 60's America. For this reason it still marches on, coursing through the veins of tail-gaters and lower-middle class ping pong players across the country....

02-12-2006 22:31:42 | More by supernaut
JDV

1.65/5  rDev -38.4%

Slight skunky smell, with some gross sweatiness thrown in for good measure. Tastes like a pale lager but with an off taste added. Not good, but I drank most of the bottle. How can you waste the champagne of beers? Boring stale, odd maltiness sums it up. Blech...

02-22-2008 05:23:05 | More by JDV
flagmantho

Washington

1.65/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 16oz pounder into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: very pale golden color with a ton of effervescence and a crystal-clear body. Head is two fingers of fizzy white foam. Not too terrible, but it is simply too darn pale.

Smell: sour grain, and that's about it. Now I know why I always drink straight from the can!

Taste: sourish wet-grain flavor. In the back of my head somewhere, I seemed to remember High Life being a halfway decent mega lager. This is pretty bad, though; it's sour and bitter (but not in a good way), and I'm having a hard time choking it down. At least it's not particularly strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: light body with a moderate fizziness which gives, actually, a somewhat decent mouthfeel. Still, not great.

Drinkability: I've had tons of High Life in my day, and I do not remember it ever being this bad. I guess that's why we go back and review these things, though, right? Now I know never to buy this again.

11-20-2010 21:16:13 | More by flagmantho
cbutova

1.66/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Tallboy can reviewed over the weekend. I am pretty surprised it took this long to get this review in but kind of happy I waited. Full notes taken while consuming.

A- Poured from the tallboy can to two pint glasses, finally getting to the champagne of beers. Crystal clear, really!, uber pale golden body with a foamy white cap. Head rises to about two fingers and has poor to fair retention. Foamy ring leaves spotty lace and some patches.

S- Really, really not much going on here. Slight pale lager yeast and malts but pretty much have to search for it, beyond clean (in all aspects). Maybe a hint of fruit.

T- Opens up and some more going on here but really not a ton. Rice and pale cracked grains come to mind with a tiny hint of lager ester fruits. Bread and popcorn is about how I sum it up.

MF- Lightest possible body with a high carbonation attacking the taste buds. Texture is about the opposite of creamy, watery and fizzy.

I don't really know anymore. Somehow this doesn't taste like complete shit to me. I was more bothered by this when I was about 20-21 but now I find lager yeast hints. Leaves you wishing for more and lacks anything all that enjoyable.

03-05-2014 02:43:05 | More by cbutova
rodrot

1.7/5  rDev -36.6%

This beer poured a very pale yellow color with a large head of foam. It was so pale that it was basically just a shade darker than water. The aroma was very uninviting. I could smell a mixture of rotting tomatoes and a kind of fruity aroma mixed with it. Surprisingly, the taste was not too bad. I could taste the ever present corn and adjuncts, but there was also a nutty aftertaste that was kind of pleasing. Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could put out a product like this and still make money. I'd take a Bud or PBR anyday over the "Champagne of Beers". Not recommended.

03-05-2006 13:35:50 | More by rodrot
Sorvahr

Tennessee

1.7/5  rDev -36.6%

A friend of mine had a party recently in which one of her friends brought an entire case of Miller High Life. Since there were several cans remaining at the end of the festivities I asked her for one so I could write a review on it. "The Champagne of Beers", the can says. Well, this doesn't look like champagne and certainly doesn't smell like it. With some trepidation I poured it into an old Yuengling pint glass (the better glasses don't deserve such indignity inflicted on them).

A: Pours an amber golden color (well, at least it has color), with a one-finger bubbly head that quickly dissipates into a white haze at the top. It looks vaguely like a urine sample, not particularly appetizing. The beer actually manages to have a decent amount of lacing.

S: Piss! It really does smell like urine, with a sort of sickly-sweet (corn?) smell coupled with a distinct B.O. undertone and a metallic note. Already I have a bad feeling about this.

T: Ugh! Sickly sweet is right! Cardboard, vegetables, soggy Fritos, copper, pretty much anything but malt and hops. It hits the tongue with some indescribable but distinctly unpleasant funk (is this what gym socks taste like?). As the beer warms up the funk becomes increasingly funky and nasty. Chemical finish.

M: Thin, weak, watery. There's no weight or body to this at all, it's like corn-and-B.O.-flavored soda water.

O: Well, it's not Bud Light but it's pretty bad. The smell alone makes me not want to drink it. If you want "great pilsner taste" try Warsteiner Premium Verum or Pilsner Urquell. I drank about half of it before drainpouring the rest. Even if it's cheap, I'd rather have a lower quantity of something decent than this. Not recommended.

10-24-2011 01:19:00 | More by Sorvahr
sabrills70

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

Yellow water. Not much of anything her to even speak of. It's a standard mass produced American "beer". The only reason I even opened it is because a friend of mine left one in my fridge, and I don't like to waste beer, not even this one. I'm sure that there is a time and place that this would taste really good, I just don't know when or where it would be.

05-14-2003 19:56:13 | More by sabrills70
Jordan

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Horse piss in a bottle. But it's cheap! Reminds me of boxed cereal, on the nose. Grain/wheat flavors on the palate, however below-average to poor in this department. I'm astonished that some people feel this is a quality beer! Would much rather sit back with a quality hefeweizen, even if it's three times as expensive.

11-18-2001 08:27:25 | More by Jordan
NickLovesBeer

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

High Life it pours a pale yellow, looks like straw with a tiny head and lots of carbonation. It looks kind of like sprite with yellow food coloring. The taste is very bland and carbonated, just not impressive at all. The champagne of beers as right as far as carbonation goes, but not as far as taste. A real dissapointment.

11-12-2003 04:08:47 | More by NickLovesBeer
goblue3509

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a light yellow color with little to no head. What is present of a head gives way quickly. The aroma is of a slight corn but not really anything to the aroma. The taste is watery but of slight grains. The mouthfeel is fizzy and slightly over carbonated. Overall it is a beer you would have one of and quit, it is very simplistic and doesn't have very much character to it.

07-22-2009 19:48:14 | More by goblue3509
Rio

Kansas

1.78/5  rDev -33.6%

Pale golden in color, with a decent head that doesn't hang around long. Smell of corn and grain, along with a hint of a metallic aroma. Metalic taste to it, as well. I was hoping this was from the fact that it was in a can, but I've seen the same taste noted on reviews from bottles. Corn appears in the taste, too, and a strong hop presence, without much flavor to really back it up. Crisp and fairly clean in the mouth, though. Not a horrible brew, but not on my list for frequent purchasing.

07-30-2004 00:58:25 | More by Rio
Backer2004

1.78/5  rDev -33.6%

In the age of only reviewing good beers, it's still important to let the public know that beers like Miller High Life have no other redeeming qualities than to get people drunk. Offered to me by an ol' college buddy @ a Notre Dame tailgate. Water & corn adjuncts, mmm boy.

11-06-2006 01:43:56 | More by Backer2004
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.