Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,074 | Hads: 3,382
3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer gives great head and is about as fizzy as any I have drunk, drank, whatever. Not a complex brew and is easy to drink. Reminds me of my misspent youth. And the price has seemed to go up much since then. This is still my first choice among the cheap beers. (264 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

The self proclaimed "Champange of Beers" for a mass brewer it may well be! This is my wife's favorite beer( she of no taste buds and no sense of exploration when it comes to food or drink!)

It is a decent, clean brew that must be drunk cold and quick! Abalanced mix of corn,malt,hops equal a neutral taste and aroma. Recommend having it when washing down a Big Mac. (366 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As far as macrobrews go, this is the best. It's pretty much always got a skunky aroma and flavor, and it's kinda watery, but it's cheap, and anyone with an alcohol tolerance level above that of a 15 year old girls', can drink about a thousand of these and still be functional. IMO, it's the tastiest macro money can buy, and it's always great at parties. If someone offers you one of these, don't start getting all beer snob on their ass and turn it down. I surpised myself when I liked this beer, and if you haven't had it in a while, you better drink it or Hoss McGraw will come give you a much needed ass whoopin'. (617 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +21%

Wow!, I never bought High Life before until I had to pay for some construction help. The price was very good and the beer itself, not bad either!

It pours a clear but golden Color, not a watery gold like the other mac's tend to.
The head was nice, holds up well, you actually have to wait till the beer is ready after the pour. Lace was fair, spotted, and more-so than not.
The aroma was sweet and corn like, not very strong on the nose.
The taste was good. The sweetness of cream corn, hust for just a touch of earth, and a mild malt background. Hops, not so much so, not to be noticed, though if there were some that would help crisp the beer up.
Mouth & drink-- very smooth and easy. The colder the better.

I guess I never bought High life because I didn't care for there adds, though they really don't push this beer that often.
I always picture Kirt Russel with Goldie H. in Overboard "I think".

What made me notice High Life again, was the fact they brought back "The Girl On The Moon". Retro....Timeless...Thats High Life!
I'll be buying somemore, Cheers! (1,078 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +21%

I got tired of smelling aluminum when I drink cheap beer, so I began pouring it into my 20 oz IKEA glass. Tried Rainier first, but it seemed to leave a headache, so I paid about 70 cents more for a six pack of 16 oz. cans and poured away. I was impressed by the persistent head, and began to drink. I found it rather soft and vaugely sweet, although you can detect hops and barley there. It is appropriately yellow, so unless they used food coloring it must be real beer. The taste was smooth, and the aftertaste was somewhere between acceptable and undetectable. Active ingredient being 5%, the buzz from 16 oz. is just about right for a quiet sunny day out in the yard. You could probably drink this all day and then run out in your front yard naked waving a shotgun and still wake up the next day feeling fine and ready for another session. Next time I am feeling flush with cash, I will try Budweiser, which is about $2 more than Rainier for 16-oz. 6-packs. (961 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +21.4%

First off I have to say how truly underrated this beer is right along with Pabst Blue Ribbon. These two beers are nice refreshing lagers at an honest price. And for macro brews they really do not disappoint. I picked up a 12 pack for 6.99, what an honest price and a beer that is worth trying!
The appearance is that typical of a macro brew lager gold or bright yellow. As soon as I open this up either out of a bottle or can it foams to the top like a bottle of campaign, Hence "The Campaign of beers". It also has a decent head on it, more than other american adjuncts.
It smells like sweet malts and barley and sugar, kind of skunky (which is nice)
It tastes smooth with a nice, refreshing and sweet aftertaste. It is extremely smooth and nice to have after a long day.
This will always be my "go to" beer along with PBR. I enjoy Euro Pale Lagers, Micro Brews and craft beers but you can never go wrong with the "High Life"! (927 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is. (714 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with good head. Cereal grain aroma, not much hop in the nose. Taste is good, good blend of hop and grain, not overly sweet. Good texture. Not a bad beer (188 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can that appeared in my cooler when visiting the in-laws. Red, white & blue 4th of July motif can.

Poured into a glass mug, formed a 1" bright white head over the clear light yellow brew. Airy head collapses slowly, with average lacing. Aroma is bready, slightly floral.

Taste starts lightly sweet, bitterness and some saccharin in the middle, clean finish. Mouthfeel is smooth yet thin, and drinkability is good if this is what you're looking for. Since you bought it, one would think you know what to expect. (518 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

I've always had a fondness for this beer more than the other macro-brews. History plays the part in that my father liked it, it was the first brewery I saw and it's a great session beer of my youth. There is a smoothness about it that I like and makes it easy to drink when I'm hot and thirsty. Adjuncts can be detected, but aren't overpowering (as long as it is comsumed cold). As with others, for the style it is, it is a fine example. (440 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love this beer. Tastes crisp and refreshing especially when served cold and drank out of a bottle. This beer is a great value for the price ($16 w/o tax for 24 bottles) and it a beer I can drink all day while doing yard work, watching sports, or grilling out. Goes pretty well with any meat. The only thing that will ruin this beer is the fact that the warmer it gets, the worse it starts to taste. (400 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +22.4%

Haters gonna hate, but in my humble opinion, this is the only mass produced American beer worth drinking. I wouldn't pair it with food, and in fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck drinking this except on special occasions. Those occasions are this: when you are really hot and just finished mowing the grass. When you go to the beach with a couple of friends and light a bonfire. And on those occasions, trust me, it's a winner. Feel free to ban me from ever writing another review now... (485 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +22.4%

To celebrate the first forty games of this year's NCAA tournament, I decided to indulge in a forty ounce bottle of Miller High Life. The bottle fits nicely in the hand, although the famous cowgirl sitting on the moon was absent from the label.

I opened the top and was hit with a very grainy smell. The beer poured without much head, and what little foam there was quickly evaporated. Tiny bubbles rose through the clear, sickly yellow liquid.

The beer has an almost cloyingly sweet taste, although not as sweet as some other macrobrews. There was absolute no hint of hops, fruity esters, or flavors other than lightly toasted bread. I usually don't drink beer cold, but I did with this one; I'm not sure I could have lost any taste or aromas. The mouthfeel was the same as distilled water.

I've often gone to Miller High Life when quantity of beer was more imperative than quality, although the price is slightly higher than Schlitz Ice, Black Label, or other non-BMC macrobrews. Although not the finest beer in the world, the "Champagne of Beers" comes through once again as a solid macrobrew. (1,098 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured pale yellow with a steady stream of small-bubbled carbonation that created a nice white head that thinned to about half the size after a minute or so and left rings of lacing.
The smell was fresh and clean. Some corn was noticeable.
The taste was a bit thin, but not from being too watery. It was malty - sweet corn was predominant. A slight touch of hops was present far in the background.
The feel was bubbly, refreshing and slighlty sweet.
This is a very smooth beer. Its smoothness comes more from the taste and the feel rather than the water, as is the case with most American macros. It has a decent taste that holds on for awhile, making this much better than most others of its style. In fact, this is a better summer thirst quencher than most craft summer brews I've had. And, it is very inexpensive. Considering the price and style, this is not bad at all - a good one to bring a six-pack of when going to the pool or the beach. (946 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first beer I ever drank with my dad. I remember sitting on the river bank catching trout all day, and drinking this golden beauty while grilling steaks that night. If this brew is still around when my son comes of age, it will by his first drink with his dad too.

Other than the nestalgic priciple of it, this is my go to cheap beer. To tired from a hard day of work to grab a glass and pour? Simply grab a piece of the High Life. Now excuse me while I crack one open and relax :D (493 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +22.8%

12 oz clear twist-off bottle with no freshness date found.

A- Great head retention, I was quite surprised and impressed at the same time. Good clinging action and the pale yellow golden hue donned a perfect clarity.

S- Sharp cooked corn aroma, mild grain husk as well. Clean other than that.

T&M- Solid crispness in a light body. Grainy with a hay like character, mild hop bitterness and a faintness of corn in the back. Clean on the palate with a grand smoothness that make you want to take another sip.

D- Easy to drink with mild flavors and a good wash of crispness. A tasty American Lager. Went excellent with the lamb and steak tips I grilled. (660 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +22.8%

Dad's beer. Classic clear bottle. Great label. Not much nose. "Beery" taste. Clean. Probably the best mouthfeel among all American adjuncts. Sudsy. Good old fashioned beer. I like it. It reminds me of how things were in the 60's. I would keep a few bottles in the fridge at all times. (284 characters)

Straight from a 40.

High Life is what it is. Unlike many American macros, the ole Chanpagne of Beers has a taste, albeit very sweet and corny. The smell is of corn and the appearance of highly sedimented urine. Mouthfeel is thin with a refreshing soda-like hit of carbonation. Drinkability is first rate, no complexity here. Miller is my American macro, and, in truth, I'd just as soon have it as many of the craft lagers I have tried. At two bucks a 40, and when you just want a beer, Miller is first rate. I may, however, be biased: it was the very first beer I ever tasted. (577 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best of the cheap beers. By far.

A: No need to pour this beauty. Just look at that clear bottle full of cold refreshing goodness. Honestly... you can see why it has the moniker it does.

S: Smells watery, but how cheap beer always smells. crisp.

T: Watery. Can taste very light hops. Clean. Crisp. Sometimes if you squint real hard, you can almost get an apple taste to it. Great for hot day.

M: Bland at best. Beer flavored water.

O: Again, one of the best cheap beers there is. (487 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This poured golden and with bright clarity, a fat head of white foam that did persist in the form of lace that clung to the glass. The nose is faint grain and a bit of corn. The taste follows the nose all the way. it's mild. It has a bit of corn girts, a touch of corn sweetness and not too much malt. The carbonation is ample and bites a bit. There is a sour taste on the back end. I can't place it. Is it the beginnings of metallic? is ti yeasty? It gives a slight pucker tothe finish and a nice edge to the drink.

This beer was actually quite pleasant. Had no off flavors, no fruitiness at all and drank easily and without effort. It did not develop any off flavors as it warmed. It leaves a touch of sweetness as it finishes dry. (735 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +23.1%

Came home from duty and I wanted something that was cheap, cold, and wet. I picked up some High Life.

A: Has a solid yellow color, pours with a decent white head that quickly disapates, and is fairly carbonated ( not to much big bubbles)

S: For a macro brew this is clean and slightly hoppy. This is a good thing.

T: Malty texture overall slight-medium hop flavor to balance the malt. A good American Pilsner. Came out great in a can. No six pack bottles.

M: Overall thin,slightly drying, and bubbly like as it advertises, "The champagne of beer".

D: For being so fricking cheap it is pretty frickin decent. I have bought this stuff for a while and it passes for beer in my book! (684 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +23.1%

12 oz camo can straight from the case that always sits in my fridge for days such as these. Served up in a standard pint.

A: Pours a vibrant, piss yellow that is a fine example of what a macro should look like. Crystal clear through and through. Lots of carbonation activity constantly moving about in the glass. A vigorous pour gave me 2 fingers of head that actually had a ton of retention. The foam is light and fluffy. Lots of lace on the glass, notching all the way down. Looks damn good for a macro.

S: Well its awful macro like. Doesn't smell like much at all. Lots of corn and skunk. Not the greatest at all, and bad for a macro.

T: This is actually a good macro. Lots of corn flavors with a lot of sugary goodness. There is a lot of grassiness going on here as well, but it is pleasant. For a macro, I think it has good taste for the style.

M: Light bodied brew that is watery and easy drinking. High carbonation that is incredibly crisp. ABV is not noticable considering this sits at 5%. Aftertaste is minimal and mostly just a light corn presence.

D: This beer is easy drinking, has decent flavor, a really nice look for the style, and decent feel. Sure it smells like ass, but its a macro. Mind you, I am not comparing this beer against an Abyss or anything, just other macros. Scoff if you wish, but if High Life was currency, I'd be rich, BITCH! (1,364 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, as befits the Champagne of Beers. High Life pours a very pale gold color, good head, good lacing. Doesn't really smell like much, but tastes remarkably good for "swill," sweetly malty with a nice biscuity finish. Mouthfeel is overly fizzy--the "champagne," I suppose--but still, High Life's not so bad. Easily my beer of choice for its class, and better than stuff like New Glarus's Totally Naked.

I'll hopefully pick up a bottle of High Life soon for comparison, as I remember it being superior to the canned version. (571 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

I decided that I'd try to find a cheapie macro that I hadn't yet tried. I've had the PBRs, the Stroh's, and all. To be honest though, High Life, despite its association with bums or what have you, is a really good macro adjunct, and there's not a lot to hate on this beer about if you're reviewing it for what it is.

Serving was a 12 oz Clear glass bottle. Color was a mellow gold, slightly darker than say, Budweiser. Poured with a surprisingly thick head, and retained well till about halfway down the glass. Nose was really soft, with just a hint of grain and cereal sweetness.

Taste:Up front is a load of semi-sweet slickness commonly associated with the macros. Very fizzy, and smooth, and has a hint of fruit as it finishes, most notably apple and grape, but the grape is much slighter than I thought it would be.

Notes-You know, some people may want to just rip this apart needlessly, but it is a solid macro that can hit the spot on a hot summer day, and it's always great for an impromptu party beer. Cheap, readily available anywhere you go, and will always satisfy nearly everyone. For the macro lager that it is, few beers from the Big Three can beat the Champagne of Beers. (1,195 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +23.4%

Drank straight from a clear 12oz bottle.

Appearance was typical of adjunct lagers, clear and pale yellow with a decent white head. Plenty of carbonation with this one.

What I could smell of it, corn is a big ingredient and this is quite apparent along with the cooked vegetable aroma that usually accompanies beers of this style. Still it is not off-putting.

The taste is dominated by corn with not much malt coming through. Little hop bitterness as well and no hop flavor. Carbonation is plenty, though and this leads to a nice dryness leaving you wanting another drink.

Overall, this beer is not spectacular but it is what it is. It is one of my favorite american adjunct lagers. (685 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.