Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,356 | Reviews: 1,135
3.48/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I can't believe I never rated this. Alright, this is the low brow class of beers, but I tend to make this my 'go-to' water beer. However I do enjoy the maltiness and carbonation of this beer. There is a consistency for this beer that makes me think it is very good value for the money. Now am I a sucker for the marketing and schtick of the 'champagne' ads? Oh hell yeah. I like it a lot, but also think this is a good beer, that shouldn't be the ugly sister of their Bud Lite and Coors Lite competition.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

12oz clear bottle wtih classic labeling. No freshness dating, or at least one that is consumer friendly.

Golden hued beer, bright, with a patchy white foam head comprised of mixed bubble sizes. Large bubbled slow carbonation. Lacing has some stick, with a moderate level of head retention.

Ultra-clean nose on this one, faint grain and an even fainter freshly husked corn aroma.

Even, medium bodied brew. Fizzy carbonation. Crisp. Smooth, with a creamy carbonation feel on the palate. Mild steely character in the flavor, some watery malty / creamed corn sweetness that sticks to the palate. Touch of malt husks, corn grits, with a drying edge. Corn flavor gets more pronounced as the beer warms and casts a blandness across the palate. Hop character is nearly non-existent with this tasting. Finishes with some residual dextriny sweetness and corn. Not overly clean, but it passes.

Drink ice cold for maximum enjoyment, but mostly so those corn flavors stay where they should.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a 16 ounce camoflage can.
Pours pale gold with a small white head. The head ring lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass. Good amount of lacing in the top half of the glass.
Smells corny with just a trace of hops. Slightly too sweet malts with a fair amount of hops. Dry finish. Mouthfeel is average for the style. Drinkability is very good. I try to avoid the clear glass bottles to avoid light-struck beer. So cans it will be. A few more hops or fewer malts and it would be a decent Pils.
Update: 8/22/2014. Appearance is at least a 4.5. Huge white head and plentiful lacings. Smell is malty with just a touch of corn grits. It has a fair hop bitterness. At least as good as PBR. Slightly too sweet but not bad. Mouthfeel is good, slick, and refreshing. Slight bitterness in the finish.
Update: 10/15/2014.
Huge fluffy white five minute head and copious lacing.
Smell is malty grains with a touch of corn.
Taste is smooth malts some corn sweetness and a bit of herbal or grassy hops in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with strong carbonation.
Finish is lightly sweet with some hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.
Overall a very good AAL. Good job Miller!

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow with a surprisingly short white head that is gone swiftly. Lacing also less than I expected. Looks like cheap beer, which it is, as you have probably been aware for some time. (Mostly un-related footnote: this beer has one of my favorite bottle designs; classic and instantly recognizable).

Smell: Smells of cooked corn, some grass, and grain. The nose is faint and reasonably clean. It's not like Budweiser where it smells like rice cooker water.

Taste: High Life has that clean, easy American lager taste. It's mostly just inoffensive and pleasantly cold (as this is the kind of beer you have to serve at sub-Arctic temperature or you're going to regret it). There's a little corn, a tiny bit of floral hops. It's simple and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thin and easy.

Overall: American adjunct pale lagers need to be reviewed in their own terms, similar to the way the great Roger Ebert (RIP) used to review B-movies. If you compare this beer to a Belgian lambic or a graduate-degree level IPA, you're basically comparing Evil Dead to a Polanski film or something. They don't serve the same purpose, nor should they be judged by the same measuring stick. Now that those cards are on the table, I drank this High Life with hot dogs and watermelon while watching baseball. Perfect afternoon. It's not my favorite American budget lager - I'd certainly take 'Gansett or Pabst over this - but it's certainly better than Budweiser, and it's better than a poorly executed complex beer.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Miller High Life is about the same as any other American lager. To me they are all about the same. I bought a case of it to just try to save some money, and though it's not terrible, there is nothing unique or special about it. I will probably buy Yuengling if I am looking for a cheaper Lager, or even Schlitz, both have more of an interesting flavor than this beer. About the same as Bud, Coors, or any other Miller offering if you ask me, but good on a hot day, and cheap if you are pinching pennies.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

I have enjoyed this for too long, as in it was frequently stolen from my dad. I think that it is very refreshing, has a cool look to the bottle and is carbonated well enough so it doesn't seem to go skunky and flat as many others in it's class do. I have outgrown it, but will take one without hesitating if you hand it to me, unless there are roofiies in it or LSD or urine. Anything else is cool..

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

I have always liked Miller High Life. It is pretty refreshing and crisp but not completely tasteless. It is nothing special but pretty good for an adjunct lager.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

A- Darker than straw by a thin margin. Decent head on it.
S- Smell is rather clean, but corn and some faint malt.
T- EVer so slightly malty, with a corn foundation. Just a shade of metallic hops. Still, a bit less corn-dimensional than most adjuncts.
M- Heavier than most adjuncts with smooth and lively carbonation.
D- For an adjunct, this is a decent beer. also, their commercials are humorous.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

This is a favorit summer beer. When its hot out side and your gutting the grass there is nothing like a nice cold high life to quench your thirst.

Nice yellow color

No After taste

Drinkability Great

This is a beer that is best for Sunday football games

GO REDSKINS!!!

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Light golden with moderate head, and moderate carbonation. Light smell of malt and cooked veggies. Taste is somewhat spritzy with nice rich hop bitterness. Malt gives a good supporting performance.

Corn is present and more pronounced as it warms, but generally stays in the background and should be an example of how a macro can use adjuncts and not be overpowering.

Very smooth and highly drinkable. An awesome beer when you are livin the high life.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Yes, it is not "good" beer. But it is also extremely cheap, and very drinkable. Make sure it is cold; really cold. This is my beer of choice when I am doing yard work. Better than its competition.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Not a bad beer. Certainly not great, but decent.

A- Fairly nice look for an adjunct. Light to medium yellow body with a 2 finger head. High carbonation.

S- Malt, so hops. not a bad smell at all. An odd sweetness that I am not a fan of though.

T_ Tasts like it smells. nothing great, just mediocre. Odd sweetness present again. Cornsyrup?

D- Pretty good drinkability but could lead to a bad hangover becuse of the water quality.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Ice cold out of the can, served in a rocks glass...

Appearance: Deep golden color. Snow white head of bubbles of different sizes, sticky lacing, 1 finger head dies down slowly but leaves some patchy head on top. Lace is there, but negligible.

Smell: Faint grain and floral aroma, pronounced smell of cooked corn. Clean nose.

Taste: Strong upfront sweet malt flavor lingers on the tip of your tongue and in the back of your throat. Less sweet grain flavors enter. Hoppiness is low, and the beer is off-balanced toward the sweet side. As the beer warms, beer trades some of its sweetness to produce a dryer malt (a loss of character in my opinion).

Mouthfeel: Thicker than many American Macros, but thin enough to serve as a refresher.

Drinkability: Low alcohol content and simple, yet non-bland flavor make this a session beer. Much better than many American Macro lagers, but doesn't break the mold by any means. Would probably be good with barbecue and Mexican.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

This beer gives great head and is about as fizzy as any I have drunk, drank, whatever. Not a complex brew and is easy to drink. Reminds me of my misspent youth. And the price has seemed to go up much since then. This is still my first choice among the cheap beers.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

The self proclaimed "Champange of Beers" for a mass brewer it may well be! This is my wife's favorite beer( she of no taste buds and no sense of exploration when it comes to food or drink!)

It is a decent, clean brew that must be drunk cold and quick! Abalanced mix of corn,malt,hops equal a neutral taste and aroma. Recommend having it when washing down a Big Mac.

3.51/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As far as macrobrews go, this is the best. It's pretty much always got a skunky aroma and flavor, and it's kinda watery, but it's cheap, and anyone with an alcohol tolerance level above that of a 15 year old girls', can drink about a thousand of these and still be functional. IMO, it's the tastiest macro money can buy, and it's always great at parties. If someone offers you one of these, don't start getting all beer snob on their ass and turn it down. I surpised myself when I liked this beer, and if you haven't had it in a while, you better drink it or Hoss McGraw will come give you a much needed ass whoopin'.

3.51/5  rDev +31%

Wow!, I never bought High Life before until I had to pay for some construction help. The price was very good and the beer itself, not bad either!

It pours a clear but golden Color, not a watery gold like the other mac's tend to.
The head was nice, holds up well, you actually have to wait till the beer is ready after the pour. Lace was fair, spotted, and more-so than not.
The aroma was sweet and corn like, not very strong on the nose.
The taste was good. The sweetness of cream corn, hust for just a touch of earth, and a mild malt background. Hops, not so much so, not to be noticed, though if there were some that would help crisp the beer up.
Mouth & drink-- very smooth and easy. The colder the better.

I guess I never bought High life because I didn't care for there adds, though they really don't push this beer that often.
I always picture Kirt Russel with Goldie H. in Overboard "I think".

What made me notice High Life again, was the fact they brought back "The Girl On The Moon". Retro....Timeless...Thats High Life!
I'll be buying somemore, Cheers!

3.51/5  rDev +31%

I got tired of smelling aluminum when I drink cheap beer, so I began pouring it into my 20 oz IKEA glass. Tried Rainier first, but it seemed to leave a headache, so I paid about 70 cents more for a six pack of 16 oz. cans and poured away. I was impressed by the persistent head, and began to drink. I found it rather soft and vaugely sweet, although you can detect hops and barley there. It is appropriately yellow, so unless they used food coloring it must be real beer. The taste was smooth, and the aftertaste was somewhere between acceptable and undetectable. Active ingredient being 5%, the buzz from 16 oz. is just about right for a quiet sunny day out in the yard. You could probably drink this all day and then run out in your front yard naked waving a shotgun and still wake up the next day feeling fine and ready for another session. Next time I am feeling flush with cash, I will try Budweiser, which is about $2 more than Rainier for 16-oz. 6-packs.

3.52/5  rDev +31.3%

First off I have to say how truly underrated this beer is right along with Pabst Blue Ribbon. These two beers are nice refreshing lagers at an honest price. And for macro brews they really do not disappoint. I picked up a 12 pack for 6.99, what an honest price and a beer that is worth trying!
The appearance is that typical of a macro brew lager gold or bright yellow. As soon as I open this up either out of a bottle or can it foams to the top like a bottle of campaign, Hence "The Campaign of beers". It also has a decent head on it, more than other american adjuncts.
It smells like sweet malts and barley and sugar, kind of skunky (which is nice)
It tastes smooth with a nice, refreshing and sweet aftertaste. It is extremely smooth and nice to have after a long day.
This will always be my "go to" beer along with PBR. I enjoy Euro Pale Lagers, Micro Brews and craft beers but you can never go wrong with the "High Life"!

3.52/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is.

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with good head. Cereal grain aroma, not much hop in the nose. Taste is good, good blend of hop and grain, not overly sweet. Good texture. Not a bad beer

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can that appeared in my cooler when visiting the in-laws. Red, white & blue 4th of July motif can.

Poured into a glass mug, formed a 1" bright white head over the clear light yellow brew. Airy head collapses slowly, with average lacing. Aroma is bready, slightly floral.

Taste starts lightly sweet, bitterness and some saccharin in the middle, clean finish. Mouthfeel is smooth yet thin, and drinkability is good if this is what you're looking for. Since you bought it, one would think you know what to expect.

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

I've always had a fondness for this beer more than the other macro-brews. History plays the part in that my father liked it, it was the first brewery I saw and it's a great session beer of my youth. There is a smoothness about it that I like and makes it easy to drink when I'm hot and thirsty. Adjuncts can be detected, but aren't overpowering (as long as it is comsumed cold). As with others, for the style it is, it is a fine example.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love this beer. Tastes crisp and refreshing especially when served cold and drank out of a bottle. This beer is a great value for the price ($16 w/o tax for 24 bottles) and it a beer I can drink all day while doing yard work, watching sports, or grilling out. Goes pretty well with any meat. The only thing that will ruin this beer is the fact that the warmer it gets, the worse it starts to taste.

3.54/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cheap beer, I find myself buying it a lot in 30 racks

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.