Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
2.43/5  rDev -9%

Serving Type is from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Light gold with a lot of white head, lots of carbonation, very little lacing.

Smell - Smells like corn

Taste - Corn and not much else

Feel - Lots of carbonation (which I am partial to) very thin, goes down easy.

Overall - For the price it is not too bad.

Reviewed on: 3-17-12

carrier77, Mar 18, 2012

bisq, Aug 17, 2014

freshtojeff, Feb 19, 2012

Ccarbone123456789, Sep 04, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a 7 oz. bottle. Pours to a persistent but thin white head with bits of lace. Pale golden/straw color. Aroma is corny and sweet, with a bit of banana ester. Flavor is very weak, a bit too sweet. Finishes clean and sweetish. A good looking beer that is just "drinkable".

EagleTalon, Mar 15, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pure white, three-finger head that fades slowly to a thin layer and leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Crystal clear pale straw color. Nose is ?? Flavor is sweet corn with faint hints of hops in background. Squeaky clean finish. Good lawn mower beer. Better than MGD. The champagne of beers, who are they kidding? $1.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

jdhilt, Oct 21, 2010

12oz. can served into a pint glass
Day three of the cheap beers leftover from a party experiment. Many claim that Miller High Life is a contender to PBR, my personal vote for best bad beer. Let's see how the contender fares.

Pours a piss-yellow pale pathetic looking color. The body looks terrible. It looks as attractive as the High Life commercial guy's body size looks healthy. The head though... wow. What a thing of beauty. Three fingers of fluffy, dynamic pillows of froth and angel poop. Lacing sticks to the glass like a puppy to a marrow bone.

I hate this aroma. It doesn't smell like anything. PBR had some tin and lots of corn. Hell, the Coors Light that I had yesterday had a lot more going on in the nose. This has some grass and some sweetish malt lingering somewhere like a shy ghost. I'll give it this: the smell has integrity to it. It smells an awful lot like a proper maibock. That is, when it smells at all, which is not often and not very much.

Lots of icky rice flavors characterize the grain taste of this beer. Some corn on the finish, but mostly rice. A slightly floral bit of hops underscores the whole thing. But this is really, truly, Godawful. Man, fuck this beer. Watery, nasty. Swill. This is just a flat-out shitty beer. I can appreciate adjunct lagers like PBR or Schlitz for embracing their corn side of things. High Life seems to embrace nothing; it tries to taste like nothing.

Too much carbonation for too little body. It feels like drinking a pop. Blech. Drinkability is pretty great. I mean, this goes down like water. It is barely a step up from from light lager.

In fact, it is a step down in quality from the Coors Light I had yesterday. I'd reach for a Coors Light one hundred times out of one hundred if forced to choose between it and Miller High Life. This sucks.

Reaper16, Aug 31, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from the clear glass, 12 oz. bottle into my straight sided pint glass tumbler, the bright white head quickly dissapates.The predominate smell is of corn. Taste is similiar and has little hop balance.Mouthfeel is medium, fairly accurate for the style. Drinkability is good, accurate for this style.

Just a thought,

barleyman

barleyman, Aug 26, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into a glass from a lb-er can.

A- 1/8 in. head that went away after 30 seconds or so. Pale golden color with tiny bubbles moving throughout the glass during the drinking. Foamy lacing that almost covers the whole glass except where I'm drinking from.

S- Nothing sensational. Kind of metallic with a trace of citrus at the end.

T- Nothing really jumps out in this beer. The high carbonation makes it tough for any particular taste stand out. Once it dies down, it's a mellow, somewhat malty flavor.

M- Again, mainly just carbonation.

D- This is high for me because I can always just sit back and relax with one of these. They're perfect when you want a cheap, easy 6-pack while watching a game.

Notes- This is not a "good" beer by any stretch of the imagination; but my friend's dad always had a case of ponies in his fridge so it has a high nostalgia factor. This is definitely the first macro-brew I'm grabbing for whenever I feel the need to grab one.

sassacrass, Apr 08, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

I just saw some of the BA reviews and thought I needed to try High Life again. I haven't had it in 2 years, so I purchased a 24oz can and poured it in a pint glass and hoped to taste it in a different light other than "cheap chugging get drunk like Busch beer"

I have never preferred Miller HL to Busch, so that will tell you something about this review. At first, this beer spoke to me. "I'm the champagne or beers! You will respect me!" Sorry Miller. Not very good.

While taste and appearance were like any beer the flavor just said "Why are you drinking this? I know I'm cheap and all, but isn't there any better?" Almost tasted a slight bit skunky with very heavy corn flavors overtaking any other. Just a step below Busch in the drinkability category. I would always take this if it was cheaper than Busch, but I prefer the rice adjunct rather than the corn adjunct flavor.

Now that I'm in a place that has Genesee Red again and I've re-discovered how good a cold Pabst or how good a Ballantine could be...this cheap beer is off my list.

Ricochet, Jul 31, 2004
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours your typically yellow, transparent macro beer with a white head.

This smells horrible, I'm tempted just to throw it away.

Its carbonated and watery thin.

It doesn't actually taste as bad as I thought it would to be fair. Just a regular American larger.

I could easily knock back several of these at a party and it is ridiculously cheap. So I suppose it does have it's place but I won't be buying it again (unless I'm broke).

Dave1999, Feb 01, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Well im not sure why this beer is so much worse in the can. When i buy a macro i usually get cans because they are lighter to return, but the can version of this just blows in comparision. This poured a gold color with an allright head. The aroma was of corn and harsh ass. The taste is similar has a slight sweet hint. Compared to the bottle though the taste is dirty and harsh. The mouthfeel is moderate, not stickey-creamy like the bottle. Kinda drinkable

kbnooshay, Feb 21, 2006

spoloha11, Sep 24, 2014
2.46/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a pale, transparent straw yellow color, with a fizzy/foamy white head. The aroma is the expected grassy, musty hops over a lightly sweet malt base. The flavor is largely driven by sweet, grainy malts and a bit of a sweet corn character, although the dull, musty hops can be identified as well. As with most in this style, the light body and fizzy carbonation help this one go down easy, but it has more substance/body than others. In this regard, this beer is not much different than the other mass-produced adjunct lagers, but it doesn't come across as so watery and bland as others. Overall, its a fine beer to wash down a hot dog or any other situation where you just need a dumb beer, but it's certainly not something to crave and savor.

devilben02, May 21, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Four weeks left of my collegiate career, it's High Life time. (OK, I'm just trying to justify it's purchase). Poured a light straw yellow with a nice 2 finger white head into my Cia do Boi pilsener glass. Aroma was faint but what was detectable was mainly grainy with twinges of grass and a little bit of saaz-like spice around the edges. Taste was intially grainy but the grain flavors seem to fade after a couple of sips revealing a slight subtle spiciness that finishes clean. Smooth mouthfeel. OK macro lager I guess, but as long as Stroh's or PBR are in my area, I doubt I will ever taste this beer again.

soper2000, Apr 05, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Light, pale yellow with a large, steady head and lacing that is actually decent

S: Typical grainy, slightly sour and musty aromas from an adjunct lager; lots of corn, grassy, must

T: Not a ton going on here, which is the point--some grainy musty flavors; perhaps a touch of a buttery presence in the finish

F: Light bodied with a touch of stickiness in the back side; but actually somewhat creamy and not over-carbonated like most of the style

O: It is what it is but one of the lesser offensive of the ubiquitous BMC products

dbossman, Jul 25, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

For what this is, it ain't all that bad. Very thin and void of any complexity, this single 12oz. sample has served well as a break from the other summer brews. OK, the break is over. I recommend chilling the glassware thoroughly before the pour.. this goes south right quick!

beerboy21, Aug 17, 2002
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Datestamp is 60 days ago (it's been in my fridge for a month while I work up the nerve..). It's fresh.

From a can, this beer is poured into a 24oz pilsner* glass. Color is golden yellow with decent head volume, setting the expectation for some decent body. I'm really trying to be objective here. It's hard to justify not giving an 'average' 3.o on appearance as there's nothing wrong here.

This beer has a rather strong smell, not entirely skunked but it would be if the smell were attached to any other beer. This is just how Miller is.. a little pungent. There's some malt aroma but it also has a very strong sweet corn smell (the kiss of death for any pils*, IMO).

Taste is corn up front, with malt after, followed by notes of apple and yet more corn. If you let the beer warm to celler temperature, there's actually some hops (albiet unidentifiable variety). This beer doesn't finish clean OR with a pleasant aftertaste... after the hop bitterness fades, you're left with corn.

Mouthfeel's awkward, with a heavier body than expected for a pils*. The higher than average ABV contributes here, and it feels like fermentation is cut short (there's too much body, and it doesn't taste that great).

The higher weight and ABV leaves you with a beer that's difficult to drink in quantity unlike say a Coors. Yet this lacks taste enough to drink for that reason either (it's no Pilsner Urquell!).

* (Yes, I call this a pils.. it's no Pilsner Urquell for sure, but the history of the big American brews IS pilsner, and old literature of these brands described themselves as such. Arbitrarily creating a 'American Macro' category [IMO] unfairly shields it from deserved objective criticism).

altgeeky1, Feb 02, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

I'll always have a soft spot for High Life and it's crispness. We all know what it looks like. It pours the color of dried hay with a bit of fizz at the top forming a pseudo-head that fades into nothingness. Lacing is wishful thinking. Smells a bit grassy and malty with hints of crushed saltine (the unsalted kind)... nothing to write home about but nothing that turns me away. Taste starts out with a bit of corn and nuts, followed by a bit of malt. It's light and not very big on the flavor. Crisp and refreshing is more the name of the game. It's carbonation can be overpowering, but there's not really any flavor to overpower, so it's not a big issue. On the whole, it's fairly drinkable. I lived off of it one summer and survived. It kept me alive. And it's cheap. If i had to pick one cheap beer to drink regularly, I'd probably have to tap High Life. It's the best of the worst, so to speak.

djeucalyptus, Oct 02, 2008

ahuey333, Aug 14, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Reviewed from notes. Consumed a few hours earlier.

A- Pours a golden color with a white one finger head.

S- Sweet corn and grain notes.

T- Follows the nose with sweet corn and grain notes. A very light hint of bitterness is the only hint of hops here.

M- Really thin feeling and very high carbonation.

D- Very easy drinking and a cheap, former personal standby. That being said, I remember why I no longer drink it.

samie85, Dec 11, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Bought a 40 ouncer just because I could. I must say I now understand why college kids buy this at $1.50 a pop. It tastes like junk and not worth a penny more. Actually they should pay me to drink it. I guess it tastes better if you tape it to your hands...

VaTechHopHead, Jan 31, 2009
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow, this is my first 'can' review. I find it odd how I tend to stay away from cans when I can (hmm, no pun intended). This beer is one of the staples of parties it seems but it's really the first time I've encountered it. I had a hearty chuckle reading its slogan, 'The Champagne of Beers'. You know what it's good for? Beer pong. I would not drink this if I had a choice, but hey it has a taste.

Pours like piss, smells like macro beer. Tastes like alcohol and some malt, isn't too skunky which is good for chucking a few ounces here and there when you're losing beer pong. We almost won! Overall, this beer isn't that great :).

aquatonex, Oct 17, 2004
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears light golden with high carbonation. Thin head, and a soapy ring holds throughout consumption and actually laces glass to the very bottom! Smells a little dry with a rice/corn aroma that dominates. A little overpowering musky, rice like aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of stale bread, corn, rice and a touch of offensive sourness. No hops detected at first. When beer warms however, sweet malts start to present, ss well as sort of a stale hop flavor. Mouthfeel is very crisp and highly carbonated, lite-medium bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - If I had to, I could toss back a 6 pack of this beer. Any more than that and I would get tired of the stale corny, rice like flavors that this beer is made of. Not much to say, it's cheap, and that's about all I like about this beer. I don't recommend anyone try this beer, it's a little one profile and gets boring and tiring fast! If your into American Adjuncts, then look else where cause there are allot better ones out there in my opinion.

PintOHops, Nov 14, 2008

Slizy22, Sep 09, 2014
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.