Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%

I just tryed this beer the other day after much curiousity. I have been searching for a cheaper session beer. Cheaper than Budweiser and MGD, $11.99 for a 30-pk.

The beer looked typical of Miller as I poured it into a glass, smelled weird though. This beer also had a frothy taste which felt comfortable against the palate. Unruly aftertaste. If this beer starts to get warm, it is almost impossible to stomach. Warmth brings out many weird flavors. After two of these, they became challenging to take down. When cold, the first two go down pretty easy.

If you're looking for the bargain beer, go for Pabst Blue Ribbon instead.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%

Super clear and fizzy, this looks a bit darker than normal urine. Not a totally gross looking beer. Nice foamy head. Smells of adjuncts, mostly corn. No hops noticeable. Taste is the same, a little sour. Feels thin and watery, of course. A little worse than I thought it would be, but mostly just...meh.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz can into 16oz Roanoke College American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours clear golden with a very large white head that dissipates slowly and leaves a bit of lace.

Smell: Malts and grains, with hints of corn.

Taste: Light on flavor, but has hints of sweet malts, grain, and corn. Some hop hints in the finish, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Light body with heavy carbonation- but it is refreshing.

Drinkability: Nothing special at all- good for a quick refresher or to get drunk. Other than that, should be avoided- but I doubt anyone here needed me to tell them that.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a glass mug.

A: Golden yellow with a thick foamy head that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a nice sticky head.
S: Malts, grains, and some hops.
T: A bit of alcohol, some citrus notes, and an odd metallic after taste.
M: Extremely light bodied, but somewhat "creamy." High carbonation.
D: This beer is a bit on the flavorless end of the spectrum. I like how it feels in the mouth, but there just isn't enough flavor to go along with it. I would choose MGD over this.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%

Look, this stuff is the america beer for broke folks. Im not going to lie. Heck ive been to the point where my local walmart was selling this stuff near the price of budweiser, and yes it was because budweiser was on sale. Im not going to say hate this beer, but for some reason it is so hard to kill, its like putting ur mouth up to a drain full of piss and saying " Damn this stuff acutally gets you drunk" It should be less than 9.79 a 12 pack. I understand the nice bottles, and the hot little blondie we all wish we could of Fuked in highschool was on the bottle but still its not that great of a beer. Would i buy it more? Probably not, because this beer makes me want to work overtime so i can get good beer. I love this beer thou still, cause it can provide me with a cheap buzz, and its better than keystone light, and coor by far. So im so undecide on what to go to. I guess all i can say is quit drinking and save ur money for some good stuff. Then you will appreciate beer more. I waste all my money on beer, and i suffer to drink this like you know who as well. Good luck, and god bless America :)

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

2.27/5  rDev -15%

Given to me by a neighbor, I politely said thank you and figured I'd review it. I probably wouldn't buy it, and don't know that I've ever even had it. My new favorite beer?

I almost retch just looking at it. The color is an extremely pale yellow, piss-like if I can be crude. Filtered beyond comprehension. The head is also wispy, like dishsoap only with smaller bubbles. Some lace, which is nice, but the rest looks awful.

Aroma is no surprise: cornlike with that peculiar veggies-fried-in-sugar sweetness (call it "DMS" if you wanna be fancy). Although maybe that's an insult to corn and veggies fried in sugar. Not much else to report.

Corn and Splenda dominate the flavor, also something straw-like and the most watered down honey you can imagine. Texture is like really watery soda without any of the syrupy stickiness. Not much else to say, really. "The Champagne of Beers," says the label.

How do you rate drinkability on something like this? It's not offensive enough to pour down the drain, but also something where I'd probably choose water, soda or some other beer if served at a party. That's not snobbery--that's just attempting to stay a contented human being. Times have changed--there's no reason for beer to be this bland. So, not my new favorite beer after all...

2.27/5  rDev -15%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

This is my uncle’s beer. As long as I can remember, the guy has always had a cooler or fridge full of Miller High Life. Oddly enough, It’s taken me years to actually get around and try it for myself. And really, it seems that if I weren’t a beer geek and didn’t mind the taste of beer, I probably would have been a Miller man myself. There’s an extremely boring, cereal-like flavor, no aroma and no bitterness. What makes this better than the much-hated-by-me Budweiser is that it lacks that nasty flavor in the back that Budweiser has. This just doesn’t have much of anything.

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Well this was given to me for free at the liquor store.
Poured a very pale yellow, highly carbonated, apart from it's two finger large bubbled white head, this actually does look like champagne. Laced in partial rings, head remained as a film. I guess the marketing isn't lying there, but of course why should a beer look like champagne?
Malty, cereal aroma, like when you first open a box of rice crispies, a touch of lemon.
Lightly malted taste, a little bitter.
Light feel (that word came to mind a lot when drinking).
It's not horrible, nothing would stand it the way if you wanted to drink a lot, on the other hand there is nothing there that would make you want to drink a lot.

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

I brought a 24 oz can from a local bodega. I usually drink craft but I decided to give the champagne of beers a try. I poured it into a wine glass and was surprised. It's golden hue and bubbly carbonation makes it look like champagne. Other than that there is nothing special about its appearance. It smells rather sweet, probably due to corn or other adjunct. When it came to taste, I was pleasantly surprised. I can actually taste a mild hop character. This paired with its smoothness makes for a easy drinking beer. While it is not my first choice, I would choose over other American macro brew.

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Ah, the High Life. My favorite thing about this beer was always the commercials, but for a macro brew, it's pretty good.

Pours a yellow with a head the consistency of dish soap suds. Smooth tasting, some alcohol and malt flavoring, no real hops to speak of.

Quaffable.

2.29/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.29/5  rDev -14.2%

Miller High Life. The Champagne of beers.
ok.
Not bad appearance. Light golden color with lots of bubbles (which is I guess what you would expeact for the champagne of beers)
smell and taste are eh. nothing special or exciting. nothing really to offer.
Mouthfeel is really carbonated (duh)

D- I would pick MGD over miller high life but this isn't bad.

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

Presentation: From a keg in my house, into large glass mug.

Appearance: Very pale looking, darker than something like Natural Light though. There is moderate head with a little staying power.

Smell: Smells a lot like corn to me. Especially when it is served at a warmer temperature.

Taste: Rather thin body, although more than cheaper beers. Taste a lot like it smells with a moderate corn/barley flavor.

Overall: Its certainly better than Nati Light. But certainly not something I would drink given a larger budget. Great for college, not for much else...

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Still pours the standard light yellow with minimul head, suprisingly the smell a little more funky out of the bottle, smell hints of earth tones with a strong smell of grain and grilled corn. Taste is a bit bitter, hops and a strong sour grain taste. Cool and refreshing but suprisingly didn't like as much as canned.

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Pours yellow in color, very little carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops.

T - The taste is kinda sweet, but very watery.

M - Light body, not much of an aftertaste to talk about.

D - Drinkable I guess. Many moons ago I use to like this stuff.

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

Now, don't get me wrong, but this sucker has a pronounced corny taste that I can actually respect. It is sweet and corny, but in a way I can identify as actual corn - not the barnyard leavings of some beaked bird. It has a touch of the bad breath I find on my burly bearded buddy when I visit him in the cab of his pickup truck (he was living there for a few months). When I am angry at the world of "better beer" and my wallet is in turn, angry at me, I will reach for a forty of this wicked foulness is a way that keeps me giggling and cackling inside, The aroma, flavor, and finish is all sweet corn - maybe I should scarf on some tamales and wash it down with this one!

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

Never had this beer before,a friend of mine said it wasnt that bad and since it was one of only a few beers i havent had i said what the hell.I wont give this beer a true full review,for one it just doesnt have enough substance to need it and two it just doesnt deserve it.Its not the worst beer i have ever had that award goes to another miller product icehouse,but not the best american lager by a long shot either.

this is only good for those times when your on a beer budget and anything will do and even then their are better options out their.I drank this straight from the bottle i would not insult my glassware with it.I guess in the end beer is like sex even when its bad its still pretty good.now thats living the high life.

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

The box champagne of beers
___

A: Yellow tinted water with a one finger foamy white head that was gone in under 2 minutes.

S: A bit of dry malt, some metallic adjunct funk, and that's about it.

T: Quite dry biscuity malt, metal, and almost no hops at all... extremely light on flavor, but considering the source, it's kind of a blessing.

M: Extremely carbonated... I can see why they call it 'The Champagne of Beers', well, the box champagne of beers anyway.

D: Actually quite refreshing in a shitty way.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.