Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,461
3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Miller High Life is about as good as it gets for this style. Average accross the board until you get to drinkability which is exceptional. I have yet to meet a person, beer novice or beer snob, who cant throw back a ice cold High Life.

If reviewed as this site intends (by style) this beer deserves at least a 3.0 in all categories. The only American Macro that matches it is Yuengling.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

I'm reviewing this within the style that it is in and not comparing it to another style unfairly.

There is only one macro that I enjoy drinking, and this one is it. There are others that I can tolerate, but this one I will buy just to have something around that is refreshing to drink. Something that is not heavy, or hoppy or malty... just lightweight and enjoyable. Even with the adjuncts, there is nothing offensive here, and it does the job that it is supposed to do. Crisp, thin mouth feel, excellent head and lacing down the glass - please don't drink from the container - pour this one. I like the 6 pack of 16oz cans best poured into glass because I have had some inconsistent quality in the bottles. Occasionally yo get a very bitter one for some reason. There's not much aroma to savor, but the balance in flavor and adequate alcohol content make this one the best macro out there that I have found yet - not to mention the price is great.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Way back in 1919, when Jesus was inventing all the American macros (and he did invent all of them, regardless of what some nutjobs might try and tell us), he did so mostly out of cruelty. Jesus had a black little heart, you see, much like the Grinch only flesh-colored instead of green. He wanted to take all the flavor out of American beer in order to ruin drunkenness for everybody. But he was quite surprised at the results, as evidenced from this passage from the book of Mormon:

"And Jesus sayeth to his old hound Max

'And O how hard I tried to make beers that were sucking
But They're not sober at all, they're actually puking!

You see what they do with this swill I have gave them?
They drink it nonstopping.
They drink to cause mayhem.

They drink without hopping
They drink without salt
They drink without flamby, odiforous malts!' "

And old Jesus' heart grew three sizes that day, and he went down to try and change Budwieser for the better, but some drunken coal miners told him that if he did they would cut him. So, instead of changing that macro, Jesus took it upon himself to create a new one.

That beer, of course, was Miller High Life. A classy name for a classy brew.

Easily the best packaged of all the macros. The bottles are as pretty as can be. Pours dark gold, much darker than Bud, Coors, or even other Miller Beers, and the head is gigantic.

Fiery malts in the nose along with a hint of adjunct metal and a lot of grain. Tastes great, bready with deep, sweet grain, fruity esters, and a light malt finish. Very nice. Very refreshing. Easily the best beer you'll find at most gas stations.

Also it's not as good from cans as from bottles, for some odd reason. It's still pretty good, though.

3.61/5  rDev +28.5%

A six-pack of bottled beer for $3.99? You must be kidding me...

A: Rich gold -- with a nice white lace around the bottle. It doesn't seem to dissipate either, very round. For the money, good head retention. Seems to show best right out of the bottle from my experience.

S: Nothing overwhelming, mainly just a slight sweetness (probably from the corn), clean and a bit metallic.

T&M: Very creamy, but still very light and crisp. Nice and refreshing, with a sweetness that hints of polenta and grits (two of my favorites). The sweetness really sets off the mouthfeel and pushes this beer far ahead other macro-brews. The beer is rather light, but doesn't have the watery composition of other "lighter" beers of the same style.

Great drinkability! For a non-light beer, this beats any other and the price won't break the bank either. A great beer to have on hand for any sporting event when you're looking to pass the time.

3.61/5  rDev +28.5%

appearance- poured a light yellow with a 1 finger head that stayed around for a while and came down to a small head that stayed the whole time i drank. lacing was suprisingly good.

smell- a sweet smell and maybe some corn husk.

taste- sweet with a nice light and crisp mouthfeel. what you would expect from an "american adjunct lager".

drinkability- very easy to drink.

this is the best beer i've had FOR THE STYLE.

3.61/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Thomas Hooker pint glass.

A: Poured a clear, pale golden yellow with tons of bubbly carbonation and a one-finger head of bubbly carbonation. The carbonation actually settled to a steady flow and there was some decent retention and a bit of sticky lace.

S: Smells sweet and grainy, with a slight metallic hop zest. Not much to the nose.

T: Taste is slightly sweet and acrid, like cooked veggies with corn syrup added. There is a very light, toasted grainy taste and some drying hops, but the flavor is mostly clean, fizzy grain.

M: Mouthfeel is thin-medium bodied for a macro, with a well-carbonated feel.

D: I've pounded many a High Life to session on a cheap marco night, and find that it works just as well for me as PBR, Rolling Rock or Narragansett.

The "Champagne of Beers" indeed, this cult macro lager is clearly mass produced and not of the most interesting or flavorful variety, but with its fluted casing and clean, bubbly, refreshing flavor, it will forever hold a place in my heart.

3.62/5  rDev +28.8%

straight from the bottle

A - cannot review head as it's from the bottle, what I could see was decent clinginess. the color however is just gross, it looks like green tea cut with a bunch of water. it gets better from here though

S - decent smell, some corn and grain, no real complaints but nothing impressive

T - this I was surprised at. a sharp bite in the front, light hops and cracker maltness the whole way through. impressed

M - smooth lager feel, bubbly and light

D - I mean, for a light bodied beer that has more taste than you'd expect, this is pretty downable. had one with a chicken sandwich

3.63/5  rDev +29.2%

You know when you come home from work and you want something light, crisp, refreshing, thirst-quenching, and you don't want to feel guilty for not paying attention to the flavor? High Life. You know when you don't want to have to let your beer warm up a few degrees when you take it out of the fridge? High Life. You know what I wish were served at ballparks? High Life. You know what's a pretty decent value for the money? High Life.

Perfectly clear with above-average head. Unlike most other macro-brewed Light Lagers, High Life actually has something in the way of aroma: faint, semi-sweet malt, a trace of adjunct, and a light whiff of hops. Okay, so it's still not terribly much of an aroma. The flavor opens up with a hint of tartness -- this should not be confused with the characteristic acetaldehyde flavors found in Budweiser. Things dry out in short time with an easy finish consisting of malt and light bitterness. High Life leaves you thirsty for more.

You could do a lot worse than High Life. Under the right circumstances, this is a beer that I don't mind drinking a great many of in one sitting.

UPDATE: I have, in recent weeks, made a conscious effort to keep my fridge stocked with bottled High Life at all times. I have always enjoyed HL, but now I seem to have decided that it will be my default beer for when I'd rather be refreshed than worry about having to pay attention to flavor or make any sort of investment to that effect. Indeed, there are many nights when I come home from work late and I'd be just as happy to have two or three HLs while mindlessly watching TV as I would with a high-quality specialty brew that I can sip and enjoy for a while. I will note, also, that as a rule I only drink HL out of the bottle. Unlike any other beer I drink, I see no point in pouring HL into a glass, as I will not find much beauty in its appearance, nor do I feel compelled to open up its nose, as I will not be put in awe by its bouquet. No, give me cold HL in the bottle (where it'll stay colder longer, by the way), and I'm all right.

3.63/5  rDev +29.2%

Ah...my old friend Miller High Life. So cheap, yet so much better than your other cheap-ass peers. I have a feeling that I could funnel 12 of these in a row...but why would I when they are so damn tasty that I dont have to pretend that they're Beast Ice?

Let's look at the greatness:
1. The can looks so old and antique like that you can trick your mind into drinking based on oldness alone. This beer has been here since the dawn of time and it wears it's years with grace.
2. war vets love this shit...yup they do.
3. It's High Life baby....it tells you what you want to hear as an economical beer drinker....you know you want to live the high life or you wouldnt be drinking this piss colored swill in the first place.

Join the High Life Revolution Now!

3.64/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Surprisingly, I have never had this beer before in my life. I felt a little curious today so I picked up a sixer this afternoon.

As far as looks go, this one is a very nice looking macro lager. About a one finger head that stays the entire time. Plenty of bubbles in the beer to keep the stark white head replenished. Crystal clear light bronze in color. Most other beers in this genre have a tiny head that leaves in a fizzy hurry; this one never leaves.

Nondistinct smell. Maybe little corn aroma but nothing that would deter me from drinking this beer. Husky, slightly malty. A little sweet.

Nice flavor profile. Clean and crisp. A little sweet. Some hop bitterness as well, which seems unusual. This was pretty tasty.

I have to say, this may be my new go-to beer. I had a favorite but this one may be my new one. Clean tasting with a dry and crisp finish. I think a 12pack will be in my refrigerator in the very near future.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

After picking up a couple of 30 racks of this (for $13 each), I've been drinking it so much that I should probably review it. Dark yellow pour, a bit transparent, thin but big patchy head. Smells lagery with a some nice grassy hops. Tastes a bit corny, with some DMS (cooked vegetable taste). Normally considered a flaw, but it's actually not too bad. At least it has SOMETHING, unike bud and shyt like that. Some grassy hops come in with the flavor and balance as well. light bodied, high carbonation. very drinkable. My choice poor-man's-beer along with PBR. Don't hate.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours pale golden with a moderate head, relatively thick with good retention and lacing. Not as creepy as the insane head I have found from High Life in a bottle. In the glass, tons of bubbling, looks highly carbonated. Smells quite grainy, ricey, relatively clean

Nice balance between malts and bittering at first, a moderate amount of corn flavor develops. Slight alcohol on the finish, but mostly covered up with bittering. Light to medium body is nice and easy, highly carbonated but feels soft and easy.

Pretty nice for an adjunct lager, especially at the price they sell it at. I have to say I prefer it in a can because I don't get that creepy monster head.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Poured from a keg in my kegerator.

Appearance: A bright golden yellow color with a lot of bubbles (perhaps my fault, but High Life is usually pretty carbonated in cans or bottles). After pouring, it developed a nice white head with just enough lacing.

Smell: Very grainy. Corn is definitely present with a touch of hops in the background.

Taste: Tastes of sweet corn and grain. A nice kick to it as well.

Mouthfeel: A very good mouthfeel. A nice medium body with just enough carbonation.

Overall: This is one of my go-to beers because it has a good balance between price and quality. Compared to other beers in the same price range (Natural Light, Busch, Keystone, Pabst), Miller High Life is definitely a home run. Not to heavy, but has all the flavor you wish you had in lighter beers.

Serving type: On-tap (but equally good in bottle. Not as nice in a can)

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Good beer to have a couple, but more than that usually leaves me much more bloated than with other beers. Must be all the carbonation, definitely the Champagne of Beers.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours a clear straw color with fluffy white head which lasts for a few minutes. Clumpy lacing. Smell: corn, light malt, touch of hops. Taste: light bready malts, good amount of corn adjunct, and a enough hops to balance the sweetness. Mouthfeel: light bodied with good carbonation, finish is slightly drying. Good example of macro lager.

3.66/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a nice gold can (glad they went back to the old design a few years ago) into a pint glass.

Looks like a good American macro lager. Head holds up better than most.

Must admit, the smell is not my favorite thing about this beer, even after all these years.

One taste reminds me why I have bought this beer probably more than any other throughout my long and illustrious beer-drinking career. Clean,refreshing,sweetish,and just a tad...hoppy?

I can and have drank an oceans worth of this stuff. The price is a bonus, and I consider this Miller's finest brew.

Ironically, it is best out of a can rather than the bottle. On tap it is quite good, too.

The champagne of beers, indeed.

3.66/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a 12 ounce bottle with a date marked "Jan1110" on it, assuming it means it is best before then. Nice golden color for a macro lager, pretty much has the appearance of a non-adjunct brew, as it's color is solid and it keeps its head fairly well along with some good lacing.

Starts off with a nice medium bodied malty sweetness, a little tart. Cereal and corn grains with some hay and grass like notes, and a little wheat ride through, as the residual sweetness picks up a bit in the finish to accompany a nice zing from the hops. As it warms, I am picking up a bit more on some white grape like sweet and tart flavors.

Overall, this is probably my second favorite macro-lager behind PBR. Even taking price out of consideration, this is still a hell of a lot better than Budwesier, as it has much more character and body. That said, since PRB is regaining a lot of popularity and therefore going up in price, Miller High Life is hard to beat at $6.79/12 pack.

3.68/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typical American adjunct lager smell if that is what your type of beer, very soapy head on it. The mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation but very smooth. Its actually not the corn/veggie aftertaste that miller usually puts out. Im actually surprised. For what it is, A.A.L i could get youst to buying this and drinking it on a daily basis. Plus the price is about 17.99 USD for a 30 pack.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

another beer from my younger days. we used to go to a bar in ny state for steamers 3.95 a doz. that was a saturday ritual along with miller beer. pours light yellow color with a one to two finger head with some lacing. smell, slight corn, veggie. taste same. mouthfeel light crisp lots of carbonation. very drinkable best served nice and cold.

3.7/5  rDev +31.7%

This is my first beer review as it should be because it is my fridge mainstay.

a:lite in color,head retention is moderate and good lacing down the glass.

s:smells like beer.lite clean no heavey aromas

t:what does the add say? taste great

m:feels good on the palete

d:now this is a good session beer.would drink several in one setting
have drank several in one setting.
for the price ,the classic bottle, and $15 a thirty pack at wal mart you cant go wrong.this is the champagne of beers. american macros anyway.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, this, alongside the MGD was the "classier" beer we'd drink when I was in undergrad (mind you, that wasn't too long ago..I'm not that old)

Appearance: Pale, gold..with some lacing from the foam. Looks like the typical macro lager...fits the bill nicely. This is the first time I haven't had this from a 40 oz.

Aroma: Corn and a slight "beery" smell, if anything. Its pretty bland. Nothing disgusting or offensive.

Taste: A bit sweetish, all else is maybe the corn, but really not much. I guess its malt sweetness to a degree, but I wouldn't say the malts are overpowering, neither is the sweetness. Again, like the smell, its nothing disgusting or offensive in any way.

Mouthfeel: Watery and thin, as expected. Its got a good deal of carbonation that makes it pretty refreshing though. Goes down fairly smoothly.

Drinkability: This is probably its best feature, and I think this is the main feature that American Macro Lagers try to get at. Its pretty simple, and its cheap, and it does the trick if you want to get a refreshing beer, or sit out on the deck.

If I wanted a beer to drink outside on a hot day, it would be a hefeweizen or a witbier, but if I feel like being cheap, this works as well. I'm cheap in certain things, but beer is NOT one of those things.

3.71/5  rDev +32%

Standard golden fizzy macro lager. No real aromas to pick out, some DMS but not much else.

Light flavor, some slight bitterness but it is covered over by what malt is there. No off flavors however and fairly well balanced. Easy to drink and less sweet than MGD although just as smooth.

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%

A- straw yellow, not a lot head retention, or lacing
S- no real complexity but not bad either, some malt is about all i smell
T- I do like the taste, malty a bit more flavor in my opinion than the other macros, but no complexity and the after taste seems just a bit skunk
M- alot a bit fizzy but light enough to go down
D- yeah, you'll forget you are drinking beer

3.73/5  rDev +32.7%

Fresh from the tap in Milwaukee. Quite a different experience than I am used to from the bottle at home. This beer was ordered by the pitcher and poured into cheap bar glasses -- accompanied with wings.

Clear, golden color. Slight head. Great mouth-feel. None of the metallic aftertaste that hinders the bottle experience.

Will order again, in quantity, when in Wisconsin.

3.73/5  rDev +32.7%

Miller High Life really does live up to its Champagne of Beers nickname as it is sparkling clear and very carbonated. It has a thick white head, with lots of lacing, and yellow-straw appearance. Aroma is of corn and grain, but very faint. Taste is very corny and has a vegetable aspect. Also, it is rather sweet. Mouth feel is light and watery. Although this beers starts out very harsh, it smooths out over the drinking of the 16 ounces. A very crisp finish. I rate this one very high. A classic. WARNING: never drink this out of a bottle as it tends to spoil. A can or especially on tap is preferred.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.