Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
2.28/5  rDev -14.9%

Hmmm... I had very low expectations going into this beer... however, a friend let me try one of his... and what do ya know, I decided to review it.

A- Pale yellow... clear... dark than expected (which isn't saying much)... Highly carbonated.. Poor lacing... no head retention.

S-Light malt... yeast... Not quite as sour as I was expecting. Rather clean in scent, however, no real beer smell.

T- Hmmm... Clean? This beer lacks flavor.. seriously. However, there is a semi pleasant malt that pops in for longer than i expected. Hops is non existant, however, the typical corn macro flavor is very faint.

M- Light.. not much to say here.

D- Ummm, dare I put it on par with Labatt!?

2.29/5  rDev -14.6%

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

This is my uncle’s beer. As long as I can remember, the guy has always had a cooler or fridge full of Miller High Life. Oddly enough, It’s taken me years to actually get around and try it for myself. And really, it seems that if I weren’t a beer geek and didn’t mind the taste of beer, I probably would have been a Miller man myself. There’s an extremely boring, cereal-like flavor, no aroma and no bitterness. What makes this better than the much-hated-by-me Budweiser is that it lacks that nasty flavor in the back that Budweiser has. This just doesn’t have much of anything.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

I brought a 24 oz can from a local bodega. I usually drink craft but I decided to give the champagne of beers a try. I poured it into a wine glass and was surprised. It's golden hue and bubbly carbonation makes it look like champagne. Other than that there is nothing special about its appearance. It smells rather sweet, probably due to corn or other adjunct. When it came to taste, I was pleasantly surprised. I can actually taste a mild hop character. This paired with its smoothness makes for a easy drinking beer. While it is not my first choice, I would choose over other American macro brew.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

Ah, the High Life. My favorite thing about this beer was always the commercials, but for a macro brew, it's pretty good.

Pours a yellow with a head the consistency of dish soap suds. Smooth tasting, some alcohol and malt flavoring, no real hops to speak of.

Quaffable.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured from a 32-oz. bomber into a pilsner glass at my house on July 31, 2012 (picked it up for 2 for $3.98 at 7/11 in San Diego, Calif., on July 31, 2012). About two fingers of head. Color was basically gold, urine like. Foamy, frothy white head/lacing on the top. Surprisingly good retention on the top and the sides.

Smelled corn, metallic, wheat, bread, grass. Slight caramel sugar. Heavy cereal.

Tasted not so much. Got lots of cereal (Cheerios, Shredded Wheat). Corn, metallic, wheat, grass.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish.

Never liked this beer and still don’t like it when rating it. Plenty of better options.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

The Cham-Pag-Neh of beers. Pssh....

Pours a clear, urine-stained body with a decent white head that retains surprisingly well and deivers a fair amount of lacing. The aroma is a mash of wheat, terribly pale malts, and an attempt (in vain) at hops.

The flavor isn't much different: a bit of wheat and pale malts, not much else besides water. Mouthfeel is metallic, bitter (not in the hoppy, good way), and depressing. Ahh college days. I'd drink this only to get a good buzz, and not much else reason-wise.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

I bit light, refreshingly clean , with a lot of corn-like sweetness. Pretty tasty when nice and cold straight out of the fridge.

I still prefer MGD to this though, I think it has a bit more going for it.

High Life is an American icon.

2.32/5  rDev -13.4%

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz camo can poured into a pint glass. Ya know, so it's classy.

Pours a clear piss yellow with a decent 1 finger head and a tinge of lacing, but this all fades fast.

Taste is very watery and bland, very little to it. Light and smooth and easy drinking is it's only redeemable characteristic. No bittereness or any trace of hops to it. Ok for the style, but skip it.

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Nice golden color, sudsy (but short lived) foam. Not the most impressive looking beer, but not poor for its category. Beer scent is overpowered by a strong secondary odor of something unpleasant, (and kinda vomitty smelling). Corn? The taste is, for me, very much hurt by the odor. The taste itself (insofar as it can be separated from the smell) is also pretty poor. Tastes corny, bitter and offers an unpleasant pure alcohol flavor with each mouthful. It is clean, though, leaving little or no lingering aftertaste. Feels like a macrobrew in the mouth, sudsy and light. No major complaints there. Drinkability is something of a toss-up. The beer is light and clean, but the flavor and smell are a little off for me, making subsequant beers unappetizing.

Before I expanded my beer horizons, this was one of my several beers of choice. I was a little worried to try it really considering its quality. Alas its legacy is, for me, forever tainted. Even among macrobrews there are better choices.

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Presentation: From a keg in my house, into large glass mug.

Appearance: Very pale looking, darker than something like Natural Light though. There is moderate head with a little staying power.

Smell: Smells a lot like corn to me. Especially when it is served at a warmer temperature.

Taste: Rather thin body, although more than cheaper beers. Taste a lot like it smells with a moderate corn/barley flavor.

Overall: Its certainly better than Nati Light. But certainly not something I would drink given a larger budget. Great for college, not for much else...

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Clear and golden, white head disappears, leaving no lacing. Aroma was nearly absent--not enough to describe. Flavor has no hop to speak of and not much malt. Thin and crispy thirst quencher, but I look for much more in a beer. Not the worst macro I've had; I probably won't have it again unless it's free, but it was worth the try.

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Pours yellow in color, very little carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops.

T - The taste is kinda sweet, but very watery.

M - Light body, not much of an aftertaste to talk about.

D - Drinkable I guess. Many moons ago I use to like this stuff.

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Now, don't get me wrong, but this sucker has a pronounced corny taste that I can actually respect. It is sweet and corny, but in a way I can identify as actual corn - not the barnyard leavings of some beaked bird. It has a touch of the bad breath I find on my burly bearded buddy when I visit him in the cab of his pickup truck (he was living there for a few months). When I am angry at the world of "better beer" and my wallet is in turn, angry at me, I will reach for a forty of this wicked foulness is a way that keeps me giggling and cackling inside, The aroma, flavor, and finish is all sweet corn - maybe I should scarf on some tamales and wash it down with this one!

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

another macro. not too bad at that. a good beer for those looking for a light beer and/or a thirst quencher. a good cookout beer.

there are hundreds of beers that work well for me as "cookout" beers and this one gets lost in the crowd. it is cheap but decent. not my choice when looking but if i does catch my eye it is acceptable.

try it but dont have high life expectations.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Never had this beer before,a friend of mine said it wasnt that bad and since it was one of only a few beers i havent had i said what the hell.I wont give this beer a true full review,for one it just doesnt have enough substance to need it and two it just doesnt deserve it.Its not the worst beer i have ever had that award goes to another miller product icehouse,but not the best american lager by a long shot either.

this is only good for those times when your on a beer budget and anything will do and even then their are better options out their.I drank this straight from the bottle i would not insult my glassware with it.I guess in the end beer is like sex even when its bad its still pretty good.now thats living the high life.

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

A - this macro pours a very pale yellow, with a thin white lacy head that dissipates quickly, fizzy like soda

S - a malty aroma with citrus hints, no hoppy aromas

T - fizzy, with a malty kick, no hops evident, but a nice refershing taste, my leading macro choice

M - fizzy, but refreshingly smooth, especially on a hot lawn mowing type day

D - high, easy to pound

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an English pint glass. Minimal head, appears a bright clear yellow color. Smell is not inviting. The taste is ok upfront but has an unpleasant after taste (Metallic). Can't detect any good flavors taste-wise, it's pretty watery. I would not choose to drink this beer for any reason other than price.

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

The box champagne of beers
___

A: Yellow tinted water with a one finger foamy white head that was gone in under 2 minutes.

S: A bit of dry malt, some metallic adjunct funk, and that's about it.

T: Quite dry biscuity malt, metal, and almost no hops at all... extremely light on flavor, but considering the source, it's kind of a blessing.

M: Extremely carbonated... I can see why they call it 'The Champagne of Beers', well, the box champagne of beers anyway.

D: Actually quite refreshing in a shitty way.

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

served into a pint glass from a clear bottle with a twist-off cap

A couple of friends stopped by with this beer and said why don't you review this beer? Why not? I'll review any beer.

Straw colored,very clear like water,a nice fluffy white head,surprizing retention,even laced the glass.
A very clean smell,grainey,bit grassy,no real hop aromas.
Tasted grainey,clean,a light sweet maltiness,with a light dry finish,the faintest of hop bitterness.
A thin,watery mouthfeel,a very slight bit of cloying
I could drink this untill I get tired of drinking tastless beer.A great beer in a cooler full of ice on a 90 degree day,other than a very uninteresting beer to say the least.

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

From the can, poured as always straight up into a pint glass. I can't drink beer straight from the can, if I have the option to have a glass.

Foam had some staying power, better than most macros. Also some decent lacing.

The next day I had a headache. Lots of rice and or corn in this bad boy.

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.