2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 2,486 | Reviews: 997 | Show All Ratings:
Teshortall

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

Miller High Life, the champagne of beers as it were, gets a bad rap. Years of terrible marketing and appearances in the shadiest of bodegas (corner stores and Delis for the non-New Yorker) Have given it the status of a Old English or a Coor's Banquet. The beer is more than it appears, inside that glass bottle with the girl on the moon is a malted beverage that is dare I say: out of this world...

A- A deep goldenrod with the clarity of the finest topaz of Egypt. Thick but structurally flimsy egg shell head
S- Fresh cut wheat with a copper undertone, when properly decanted one can detect a fine hint of chilled concrete.
T- Bready with a undertone of frosted flakes, rightfully so as this is a part of a balanced breakfast.
M- "High"-ly Carbonated, much like the 16th Century Benedictine monks who honed it's namesake. Tiny bubbles make the beer refreshing and highly sessionable.

12-03-2013 16:37:37 | More by Teshortall
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Miller High Life has always been one of my favorite "Macro Brews",a very high drinkability Factor~Super Smooth,easy Drinking,Classic American Lager Beer,and priced right too [ 9 bucks for an 18 pack ] ..which makes it a GR8 choice for Get togethers,Parties,BBQ's and such.
Miller High Life is a Very Decent American Macro Lager,and IMHO one of the Best Overall in terms of Taste,Drinkability,Smoothness,and Price,Good Stuff Man!
Cheers and Peace2All;)

11-12-2013 21:41:40 | More by Beerwolf666
watermelon

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

40oz bottle poured into a pint glass.Date on the bottle says Jan 06 2014

A: Transparent golden straw with a frothy head that leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Smells mostly like corn.

T: I can really only taste corn and a little bit of malt

M: This beer has great mouthfeel and goes down super easy.

O: I like MHL I wouldn't call it the champagne of beers but for an AAL I find it enjoyable. Plus I like that its available in 40oz

10-16-2013 17:06:11 | More by watermelon
yEaRiGhTissiK

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Miller High Life is a classic American Lager that has been around for a long time. It's more of a working-class beer, but it can compete with other American Lagers.

Appearance - pours dramatically into the glass with a thick white head. When opening the bottle, the head fizzes right to the top. Very appealing to the eye while in the glass with the infamous head.

Smell - Corn, grain, and maybe a slight bit of hops, but it's overruled by corn. Not the greatest smelling American lager.

Taste - The taste is predominately corny with a slight floral hop accent in the background. It's not my favorite by any means, but it is definitely good and drinkable; especially for the $.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is one of the best parts about High Life. It is nice and fizzy and has a great smooth yet bubbly mouthfeel, one that can't be compared to many others.

Overall - High Life gets a 3 for okay. It's not my favorite American Lager, but I can definitely drink the hell out of it. The taste isn't my favorite, but the appearance and mouth on it kind of even it out for me. This is a working class beer for working class Americans and it is a damn decent product.

09-19-2013 02:52:52 | More by yEaRiGhTissiK
BEERZILLA

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Never had this beer before,a friend of mine said it wasnt that bad and since it was one of only a few beers i havent had i said what the hell.I wont give this beer a true full review,for one it just doesnt have enough substance to need it and two it just doesnt deserve it.Its not the worst beer i have ever had that award goes to another miller product icehouse,but not the best american lager by a long shot either.

this is only good for those times when your on a beer budget and anything will do and even then their are better options out their.I drank this straight from the bottle i would not insult my glassware with it.I guess in the end beer is like sex even when its bad its still pretty good.now thats living the high life.

08-24-2013 21:15:04 | More by BEERZILLA
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

3.01/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

this beer is pretty decent for a cheap beer. I don't know if it is the champagne of beers but it's not terrible. It is a very clear light yellow color and very fizzy. It does smell a little sweaty. It also tastes a little sweaty but it is not the bad type you usually associate with that description.

08-21-2013 02:20:12 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
Duff27

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%

Inch tall white head, dark straw color. Good head retention and lacing.

Smells of adjuncts, rice/corn.

More corniness. Slightly off putting taste at the end of the sip, I can manage though.

I really enjoy the creamy mouthfeel. Medium-high carbonation.

For the style, the appearance and mouthfeel do not get much better in my opinion. This is a top of the bottom of the barrel beer for me.

07-30-2013 01:02:54 | More by Duff27
CHickman

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours crystal clear yellow that’s closer to water in color with a nice 2 finger foamy snow white head that faded slowly and left surprisingly good lacing with rings as it went down.

Smells of grains, cornmeal, vegetables, light caramel, a little sweetness and a faint whiff of hops. Pretty earthy nose, typical of an American lager.

Tastes sweet overall, with malt, grains, corn/cornmeal, vegetables, caramel, light brown sugar and faint floral hops. It is what it is, a basic tasting mass produced beer that goes down easy as there’s just enough real beer ingredients mixed in with the corn filler.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with light carbonation, a light body, and a grainy and almost bready sweet finish that ligers with some metallic aftertaste notes. Overall quite average in every way. "The Champagne of Beers"…right on!

07-28-2013 03:36:43 | More by CHickman
dar482

2.06/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours out in a clear light golden yellow color with a big soapy head.

The aroma has very sweet grainy malt and tons of corn as well.

The flavor hits you immediately with that adjunct grain malt, but then it's just all corn. It's sweet, but musty and watery. It's like drinking that water that comes with canned sweet corn.

The mouthfeel is very watery and light.

I thought used to like this AAL, but now, I can't stand that offensive corn flavor.

07-10-2013 15:37:26 | More by dar482
aranamo

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

Ok so yeah, it's High Life. Personally, I sincerely enjoy this beer. I won't go so far to say it's fantastic but as far as adjunct beers go, it's at the top of the pyramid for me. Atlanta's hipster/rock scene is obviously deep under the spell of PBR's marketing machine, and I can't tell you how many gigs I play offer drink tickets that only get you a tall-boy PBR...but I've, many times, traded my drink tickets away for a High Life, tall-boy or not. It goes great sitting on the couch on a weekend and equally well outside on a hot day in a grassy field. Diss it if you will, but would you really rather have a Bud or <anything>-li(gh)t(e)?

This 4th of July, I salute the nation with a solid union-made brew: Miller High Life. Cheers.

07-04-2013 20:47:34 | More by aranamo
ahommell

Mississippi

3.59/5  rDev +34%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best of the cheap beers. By far.

A: No need to pour this beauty. Just look at that clear bottle full of cold refreshing goodness. Honestly... you can see why it has the moniker it does.

S: Smells watery, but how cheap beer always smells. crisp.

T: Watery. Can taste very light hops. Clean. Crisp. Sometimes if you squint real hard, you can almost get an apple taste to it. Great for hot day.

M: Bland at best. Beer flavored water.

O: Again, one of the best cheap beers there is.

07-03-2013 00:43:15 | More by ahommell
Pinepoint

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

I became very familiar with this 20 years ago as it was / is my wife's families goto beer for any group get together. It is just good enough (in bottles) for me to shlep around. The long neck 24 case boxes go on sale here so it is a lower cost beverage. The taste comes across as slightly burned corn. You must drink it quick, as it turns quickly if left alone. Best served very cold, by a campfire.

07-02-2013 22:06:23 | More by Pinepoint
BlackCell89

Mississippi

3.54/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first beer I ever drank with my dad. I remember sitting on the river bank catching trout all day, and drinking this golden beauty while grilling steaks that night. If this brew is still around when my son comes of age, it will by his first drink with his dad too.

Other than the nestalgic priciple of it, this is my go to cheap beer. To tired from a hard day of work to grab a glass and pour? Simply grab a piece of the High Life. Now excuse me while I crack one open and relax :D

06-28-2013 21:26:38 | More by BlackCell89
Damian

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 12 fluid ounces (.355 liters) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Aug0513
Served in a pint glass

You gotta love the classic bottle that "The Champagne of Beers" comes in. As for the beer, it started out with a very impressive appearance. The crystal clear, pale gold liquid was topped by a tight, cottony, bright white, one-finger crown. The head slowly faded to a thin film. Thick, clingy rings of lacing coated the entire glass.

Initially, the nose was respectable. Grainy malts and sweet corn notes were noticeable. Some dry, powdery, lager-like yeastiness. Semi-sweet. Touch of grassy hops. As the beer sat, the nose became much more muted. All I picked up were generic adjunct notes.

The flavor profile had more going on than did the nose. Raw, grainy, husky malts came through on the front end. Touch of grassy hops and corn. Crisp, bright and mildly lemony in the center. The husky grains made an appearance again in the finish. Touch of noble hops as well.

The liquid was super light and spritzy on the palate. Crisp and bubbly. Slightly creamy.

Miller High Life is an unoffensive and refreshing American adjunct lager that would be perfect at a summer cookout. Overall, a fairly decent beer.

06-28-2013 15:53:14 | More by Damian
bmwats

Louisiana

2.84/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Deep golden hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Lots of rising effervescence and plenty of carbonation clinging to the sides of the glass. Settles to a blanket of foam which lingers on the surface. Some spotty, dry beer ring lacing.

S: White bread, with a very light hop, nothing else.

T: Pungent bready character. Nice crisp hop bite, and a touch of indistinct sweetness settled on some wood chips. A little rubbery.

M: Light, crisp, refreshing quality. Kind of fake-sweet aftertaste lingers a little bit.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is pretty decent. Nice hue, pretty good head, and some fair lacing. Nose is light grains, nothing else. A little pungent and sweet malt tone, with something of a very subtle woody character. Overall, this is a fair quaff.

06-16-2013 19:35:33 | More by bmwats
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

2.61/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

Drank ALOT of this in my formative years...aahhh, the glorious results of a misspent youth! Pouring into a tall Pilsner brings up a frothy foamy white head with surprisingly nice lacing, the beer itself is pale yellow and crystal clear. I get corn sweetness with a whiff of Lager aroma. Mouthfeel is typical macro Lager: thin, kinda watery with pinprick bubbly carbonation due to the cold serving temp. Some corn/grass/hay flavor...verrry little in the way of hop bitterness to balance things out. Finshes sweet/watery...but you know what you're getting when you have this. Almost cuts it on a hot late Spring day here at the shore. An ok 'lawn mower'/refreshing type beer.

06-01-2013 22:46:17 | More by beerluvr
bbluemzbeer

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

It is not a very good beer because of the linger corn after taste. Only thing it was going for it is price but I will buy pbr or natural ice before this beer

Appearance: Gold or bright yellow with small head.

Smell--Malt, and corn.some adjuncts.

Taste-- It is sweater then regular pale ales with corn some sweetness. It can be refreshing when cold, The after taste of corn does not make it a decent beer.

Moutful--Light and some body. lingering on palate.

Overall -- For cheap American lager. It is average at best. I would buy icehouse, PBr, Schlitz , oLDd Milwaukee over this beer

05-28-2013 02:23:22 | More by bbluemzbeer
Goat2Hunter

1.05/5  rDev -60.8%

Me and my brother bought a 12 pack a couple months back, and I have got to say this is By far one of the worst beers I've come across, I typically like cheap beer too but this tasted like piss mixed with rat poison, It does have a good pilsner look, the smell is of sulfer (atleast it was when I bought it) its taste was terrible, far too much carbonation, mouthfeel, like I previously stated way to carbonated, overall I'd drink this beer if you bought me one, but thats the only time I would, never going to buy this sludge again.

04-25-2013 13:00:46 | More by Goat2Hunter
buck4you

4.75/5  rDev +77.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Miller High Life is a beer I used to drink often. like many folks, I switched to a Lite beer. After a few years of swilling various brands of light beer, I found myself at a place that sold out of Lite. So I ordered a High Life. Boy-oh-boy was it good. I had forgotten just how good a real beer tasted. Since I never drink more than two brews when I am driving, I always order Miller High Life now. "The Champagne of Bottled Beers", it is as true now as it ever was. it tastes like real beer.

04-08-2013 04:13:32 | More by buck4you
wiseguywood

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one.

04-06-2013 19:38:03 | More by wiseguywood
Pluffmud

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev +33.6%

Haters gonna hate, but in my humble opinion, this is the only mass produced American beer worth drinking. I wouldn't pair it with food, and in fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck drinking this except on special occasions. Those occasions are this: when you are really hot and just finished mowing the grass. When you go to the beach with a couple of friends and light a bonfire. And on those occasions, trust me, it's a winner. Feel free to ban me from ever writing another review now...

03-13-2013 05:59:07 | More by Pluffmud
Premo88

2.05/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener

L -- clear pale yellow, 1/2 to 3/4-inch pure white head that dissapears quickly. looks like water with yellow food coloring in it. maybe a hint of gold. very little lacing.

S -- sour-spoiled corn

T -- like it smells. weak, sour corn and not much else. very little hop bite, no great taste on the back end. just sour corn.

F -- fine carbonation, nothing fancy

0 -- four months ago, I would've given this thing higher ratings probably by 1 point on average across the board, but after experiencing the Chimays, Rochefort 6, Stone's Enjoy By and Arrogant Bastard and IPA, not to mention some decent local brews, this fizzy yellow corn water just doesn't hold up. Not by comparison.

I hate scoring it so low, though, because I've always considered it a better choice than most American macro-brewery beers. Much better than any of the "lights" for sure. And when you factor in price, it used to seem like the best beer going for my tastes.

I'll come back to it in 6 months or a year and give it another shot ... maybe not drink beer for a week or more then open one of these. They used to hit the spot.

03-04-2013 11:46:24 | More by Premo88
BEERMILER12

Maine

3.09/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a half finger of quickly fizzling head

S: Quite bready, with a hint of adjuncts and sweetness. Not bad at all

T: Follows the nose. Malty and bready with a definite adjunct sweetness. Simple. Nothing off-putting or offensive

M: Light bodied with moderate-high carbonation

O: An enjoyable, sessionable, cheap AAL that has nothing wrong with it. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I could see myself drinking quite a few of these during a football game or sporting event

02-25-2013 22:46:21 | More by BEERMILER12
JayBeer

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance (3)- HIGH LIFE pours a GOLDEN CLEAR color with a HEAD that dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a LATTICE down to the last drink. Some may deem a 3 too high for a MACRO, but as far as straight APPEARANCE goes, the high carbonation gives an attractive effervescence throughout the life of the drink.

Smell (1.75)- A SWEET MALT smell is given right off the pour, with LITTLE character left afterward. Given a good, hard sniff, prevailing RICE, slightly CORNY scent is present after dissipation of the head. This isn't the beer to give you a SIDEWAYS monologue, when critiquing its taste, the character just isn’t there.

Taste (3)- As far as MACRO BREWS go, I have always found HIGH LIFE to have the CRISPEST flavor for my taste (as far as macros go!). I may, however, be slightly bias, because I have been drinking this beer for several years. The taste is, again, RICEY AND CORNY, but there isn't that METALIC CAN, taste found in BUD, OR COORS. The flavor of alcohol isn't too present, the beer finishes crisp, a reminder of a hard days work in THE SUN, or weekends MOWING THE LAWN. This isn't a rare, mouthgasm inducing taste, it's just, GOOD OLE BEER.

Mouthfeel (2.75)- Again, I rate HIGH LIFE a bit higher than I would other macros, because of its EFFERVECANCE. The bubbles taken in with every sip give you a reason of why this is labeled THE CHAMPAGNE OF BEERS. It is, again, rather delightful on a HOT, DRY day, though LACKING in any other SIGNIFICANT character.

Overal (3.75)- This rating stands ONLY when compared against other MACROS. Again, I am biased toward HIGH LIFE, I have too much experience with the brew to trash it now that I have had more experience with BETTER BEERS, WITH GREATER CHARACTER IN ALL THE ABOVE CATEGORIES. A guy has to keep his old standbys, ya know. But for me, the amounts of CARBONATION AND EFFERVECANCE are the CLINCHERS.

THANKS ALL,
PS: WAS MY FIRST REVIEW ON THIS FANTASTIC FORUM, TO ALL WHO ARE CONCERNED, KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK, I LOVE THIS PLACE, AND ALL THE INFO I HAVE RETRIEVED FROM IT!

02-17-2013 02:57:10 | More by JayBeer
jacket_fan

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured aggressively from a clear bottle into a pint glass

A
Clear near yellow color with a long lasting head. A heavy lacing that lasted long past finishing.

T
Minimal bitter beer taste. Lets face it. This is a mass production brew. Not meant for beer snobs. To me it is satisfying for a hot day when you are doing the sort of activities you do as an excuse to drink beer outside.

M
A little thin with enough carbonation

O
What I remember from my wayward youth. Still would chose the king of beers when buying this style. But would enjoy on a hot Georgia afternoon.

02-09-2013 02:34:01 | More by jacket_fan
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.