1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 2,479 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
LagerThanLife

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

I put bottle under serving only because beer advocate as YET to install a 40 option.

the girl on the moon and I go way back, she has helped me through some times. she is the beer i give to my friends who don't deserve decent beer and the only beer i use when making chili or carnitas.

I don't always drink sub premium, but when I do, I drink the champagne of sub premium beer.

06-19-2012 21:27:47 | More by LagerThanLife
SometimesIfart

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Miller High Life claims to be the champagne of beers? Is it true? Let's find out. Pick up a 30 pack of this and a 30 pack of regular Miller Lite for a party. I first drank the Miller Lite, they tried one of these for the first time. It's your average lager yellow with no real smells to speak off with the typical carbonation. But the taste...The taste, For the type of beer it is was wonderful. Sooo easy to drink, sooo smooth. And it was a steal at $16 for the 30. It's a nice change here and there from my usual Pabst, Although Pabst will always have a special place in my heart. I had some of this, however in the Light version, Along with Colt 45 the first time I had ever gotten drunk and I strongly preferred it to the others in the cooler. And this even beats out the Light edition. Wish I would have known about this stuff as a teenager, Would have wasted less money on Bud Light

06-16-2012 23:43:50 | More by SometimesIfart
JoLight

Georgia

Appearance - Same as out of the can: gold, clear, carbonated, and a stark-white head that leaves some lacing in the bottle. (I'm reviewing it from the bottle, because the bottle is clear.)

Aroma - Smells sweet, grainy, creamed-corn, a little bready. It smells like High Life from a can, but a little more subdued.

Taste - Some slight bitterness, grainy, a little sweet corn adjunct, and some white bread.

Finish - dry, crisp, refreshing, smooth.

Overall - A solid go-to beer.

For whatever reason, Miller High Life out of the bottle seems, by my judgment, much less flavorful and more subdued than when I drink from, or out of, a can. It's still a good beer, but I think I'd prefer it from the can, which is opposite from my usual preference for other beers.

05-29-2012 20:33:21 | More by JoLight
cyclonece09

Maryland

2.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours straw color like any other adjunct lager, with a bubbly head that dissipates quickly, but with some lacing. Smells of adjunct grain, especially corn, really sweet. Sweet malty taste dominates, probably from the corn used, but actually has taste unlike many adjuncts. This light bodied beer has full taste, can go down really easily, and is not over carbonated. Overall, an average beer, but better than most adjuncts.

05-18-2012 02:01:56 | More by cyclonece09
hatecave09

4.85/5  rDev +81%

One of my favorites! Retains head for a while compared to most cheap beers on the market.

Looks like usual as a cheap beer should. Goes down easy and doesn't make you look like a poon while holdin a bottle.

And it leaves a thick residue on the glass from all the lace.

Hail Fredrick Miller!!

Official beer of me. WORD!

05-14-2012 04:26:48 | More by hatecave09
godlessape

Georgia

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

Because money doesn't grow on trees, I will, throughout my lifetime consume gross, insane and often hideous amounts of Miller High Life. And I'll like it.

Appearance: Poured this one into an Avery Brewing pint glass I pinched from a beer bar on New Years Eve.
It starts off with a decent head but quickly dissipates to almost nothing. The body has your average American lager standard issue golden hue.

Smell: Not much nose here but what there is smells pretty bready.

Taste: Tastes like it smells--like liquid bread--make that corn bread. There is a graininess and a hint of sweet malt to it and at the very end you do get a noticeable hop bite--nothing like an IPA or even a Pale ale but I find the bite a lot more noticeable and satisfying in MHL then in Bud or any other adjunct brews.

Mouthfeel: Perfect amount of carbonation. A great thirst quencher.

Overall: This beer does the job time after time after time. Nothing to write home about but nothing to turn my nose up too, and the price is always right.

05-14-2012 03:33:34 | More by godlessape
jsisko01

2.68/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a centimeter thick, frothy head that dissipates instantly. Has nice lacing.

Smell - I detect corn and grains. A subtle sweetness and a weird spicy scent I can't describe.

Taste - Corn with light hops and grains. Has a mild bitterness in the finish and somewhat of a metallic flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - I'm not too fond of this beer.. lol

05-12-2012 02:53:33 | More by jsisko01
Ron860

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

I poured this from a 12 oz bottle into a tall Pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pale, golden color. About a 2 finger head that dissipated quickly, but actually left a nice lacing in the glass. I was impressed.

Smell- Very clean, fresh, some corn, faint hops. Actually, quite pleasant.

Taste- Mildly sweet, corn, grains, non-metallic, minor hops... very enjoyable on a hot summer day barbecuing in the backyard.

Mouth- Sort of light on the palate, carbonation is average, and a nice aftertaste. Made me want to have another.

Overall- For a classic American adjunct lager I must say that it is difficult to complain about this one. It's been around since my grandfather was born and he probably drank it out of a bottle with a pacifier instead of milk as an infant. Hell, for $3.99 a six, and the significant amount of quality time I enjoyed drinking it, I'd have to say, "It's Miller Time!" ... even though I enjoy brewing my own beer as well. This is good 'in-between' beer. What can I say? :)

05-06-2012 22:25:50 | More by Ron860
carrier77

2.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Serving Type is from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Light gold with a lot of white head, lots of carbonation, very little lacing.

Smell - Smells like corn

Taste - Corn and not much else

Feel - Lots of carbonation (which I am partial to) very thin, goes down easy.

Overall - For the price it is not too bad.

Reviewed on: 3-17-12

03-18-2012 01:37:11 | More by carrier77
bluHatter

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

A: Clear light yellow with a nice clean white foamy head

S: Bread, yeast, corn

T: Toasty corn, slightly sweet but overall very mild. No aftertaste.

M: Light bodied, fair carbonation.

O: Very drinkable, and better than most adjunct's. It's a small upgrade from Miller Genuine Draft.

03-08-2012 00:35:46 | More by bluHatter
hyperty007

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Well, this is my favourite cheap beer.

In Canada it is not very popular, so it is only really found in the Beer Store in bottles.

The Canadian variation has 5% alcohol rather than the usual 4% in the States. I think because of this the beer tastes a little more bitter than it does down south.

The only real bad thing I can say about this beer is that when I twist open the bottle cap, 9/10 times I don't hear a pop. (poorly sealed?)

However In Cans in the States this beer is crisp smooth and delicious as long as it's cold

03-05-2012 19:38:52 | More by hyperty007
BTFU

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%

A - A nice gold color, with a slightly creamy head that stuck pretty well as it went down

S - Definitely could tell that corn was the main grain, but it wasn't too pungent or anything bad like that. The smell came more as it warmed up some

T & M - Very crisp throughout the entire beer, and had a nice dry finish that reflects the lightness of the beer & body. The slight sweetness of the corn is noticeable as it sits in your mouth, but doesn't leave any unwanted sweetness sticking around after you swallow.

O - A pretty solid light lager, and definitely one that is a people pleaser at a summer day or evening. Easy to drink, with enough enjoyment along the way

02-27-2012 05:52:12 | More by BTFU
Marti403

1.53/5  rDev -42.9%

What do you do when 75 cent busch light bottles run out? replace them with miller high life. Looks better than regular BMC products and smells slightly more citrusy as well, but far from good. tastes old and stale which is somewhat of a let down but overall it's doable. Follow your normal "free beer" rules with this. I wouldn't even do beer pong or tailgate with this beer.

02-15-2012 21:12:47 | More by Marti403
Dave1999

2.45/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours your typically yellow, transparent macro beer with a white head.

This smells horrible, I'm tempted just to throw it away.

Its carbonated and watery thin.

It doesn't actually taste as bad as I thought it would to be fair. Just a regular American larger.

I could easily knock back several of these at a party and it is ridiculously cheap. So I suppose it does have it's place but I won't be buying it again (unless I'm broke).

02-01-2012 15:25:57 | More by Dave1999
DeanMoriarty

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up a few 32oz bottles at the liquor store down the street for $2.29 a piece and drank them from the bottle - let's be real - High Life from a glass is just silly!

A: Typical yellow fizz - actually left some decent lacing in the bottle though.

S: Sweet and malty, grain and rice with a very faint hop presence that is muted but noticeable in the mix - decent for schwag beer.

T: Again - for schwag beer this one is pretty decent - basically on point with the nose - sweet and grainy, i didn't get corn in the nose as many others did but picked it up in the flavor, finishes with a slightly astringent/detergent-like flavor (iodofor or some type of bottle cleaner) - if it weren't for the unfavorable finish, this would be a pretty decent lager.

M: On the bigger end of light-bodied which is one of the better attributes of this one. Carbonation is nice and the finish is clean.

Pretty decent for an American schwag beer. Definitely my go to when trying to keep it econo, especially with the price of Mexi beers, which have skyrocketed in San Diego over the past 5 years (???). Good for tailgating and all day drinking on a hot summer day. Get rid of the nasty cleanser flavor that is so consistent with this one, and you've got a pretty darn good American Lager. Until then though, pretty average.

01-30-2012 03:42:28 | More by DeanMoriarty
depechemode1983

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

A - Color is a typical straw yellow. Head seems to have decent retention. Seems to have a bit of stickiness to it. Leaves some pretty good lacing.

S - Getting some light corn and some light grains. Also a soft lemon scent. Nothing offensive and nothing really remarkable.

T - A tad sweet with lot of corn in the flavor. There is a mild hop bitterness through the middle but quickly fades into nothing.

M - Average macro lager feel. Medium to light bodied with high carbonation. Not bad not good. It is what it is.

O - Another easy drinking macro. I don't understand why people find these so offensive. If anything they are the exact opposite. Bland, low in alcohol and easy to know back and entire six pack. This is one of the better ones in my opinion. And cheaper.

01-24-2012 23:22:22 | More by depechemode1983
BlurryVisi0n

1.5/5  rDev -44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Poured unto a pint.

Appearance: Clear yellow, white head pretty subtle but comes off 1/4" off the body.

Smell: Light hops, nothing extravagant here.

Taste: Slight corn, comes off like a light lager but slightly bitter, not so tasty but nothing i would buy again (thank god I didn't).

Mouth: Light-medium carbonation, easy to drink not easy to love but thus far not a bad balance.

Overall: I personally would not purchase this beer, not to knock on Miller but I do drink before I look anything up and this is nothing crazy, no need to disrespect but if you consider yourself a beer connoisseur you have to be a low life to like the "High Life". Salud!

01-21-2012 07:41:33 | More by BlurryVisi0n
Swim424

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

A-straw yellow. decent head that fell quickly leaving light white layer on top. not to pale color like alot of beers of the style.

S-smells like a normal american adjunct. corn and cereal.

T-tastes like the normal as well but a bit more flavorful. sort of sweet.

Mf-pretty thin. not much to it.

O-pretty good beer for how cheap it is.

01-08-2012 04:27:08 | More by Swim424
Ilovesuds

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev +33.6%

Dad's beer. Classic clear bottle. Great label. Not much nose. "Beery" taste. Clean. Probably the best mouthfeel among all American adjuncts. Sudsy. Good old fashioned beer. I like it. It reminds me of how things were in the 60's. I would keep a few bottles in the fridge at all times.

01-07-2012 20:43:52 | More by Ilovesuds
mpyle

Maryland

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Not just a bottle, but a 40 oz bottle from the local 7-11. Keeping it classy!

App - Very pale gold color, brilliantly clear. Let it warm up a bit, and it poured a monster head with surprisingly good retention.

Smell - After an initial whiff of sweetness (DMS?) it settles into a slightly earthy, possible hop aroma. Slight hints of sulfur or something similar.

Taste - A clean taste with little flavor initially, but with a hint of sweetness. Some very subtle hop bitterness that lingers into a generally clean finish.

MF - surprisingly low carbonation, and light body. No astringency or warming. Not sure if it gassed out in my pour, but the lack of carbonation hurts the experience for me.

Overall - Not a disagreeably flavored beer for me, but certainly on the bland side. As such, it probably hits the mark for an American Macro Lager.

12-31-2011 20:26:52 | More by mpyle
TheMultiYeast

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a clear light yellow with small fading white head. Lots of rapid bubble movement.

Smells of grain and crackers with some metallic fruitiness.

Taste is on par for an adjunct lager. Minimal flavor with some wet cereal and stale hop.

Thin, watery, overcarbonated.

Yeah well, ya know..I drink this more than I should.

12-19-2011 03:03:59 | More by TheMultiYeast
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Consumed directly from a 12 oz bottle at my niece's 1st birthday party. Ah, the High Life. My privileges have not yet been revoked.

A) A very clear looking golden fleece. Ample bubbles upon opening. Unable to comment on the head, retention and lacing.

S) Deeply inhaling from the bottle, I found the aroma to be mostly grain, corn and minute rice. A little sweetness.

T) Better than the nose. Corn and grain. There is a little bit of white bread, not much malt, but some sweetness. The finish is very light hops.

M) Pretty light with a good amount of carbonation. It's actually fairly smooth, and has a refreshing quality to it.

O) For the style, this is pretty good. I don't mind a bottle or two of these. Unfortunately, whatever they put in this brew will usually lead to a headache for me, if I hit the 4-5 range.

12-18-2011 02:45:46 | More by RoamingGnome
UnderPressure

South Carolina

2.05/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear, very pale. 3/4 inch foamy head.

It has the typical "American adjunct lager" aroma. It's hard to differentiate.

The flavor is actually not as bad as I remember. A balance of malt, hops, and whatever rice or corn product they use. The flavor is not great, but I've had worse.

Thin, light bodied mouthfeel, overly carbonated (even after pouring into a glass). No surprises here.

I'm sure almost everyone knows what the American adjunct lagers are all about. This one has more to offer than some I've had. For double the price, even (e.g. Heineken).

12-12-2011 03:25:50 | More by UnderPressure
blacklabel67k

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%

A-Clear pale yellow

S- Lots of corn and some more corn

T-Tastes like corn with a slight bitterness. Refreshing.

M-Pretty good carbonation, easy to drink

O- A decent adjunct lager, I prefer it over beers like Budweiser, Coors, etc... For it's style it's a good beer.

12-07-2011 22:51:20 | More by blacklabel67k
rangerred

Tennessee

3.63/5  rDev +35.4%

Drank straight from a clear 12oz bottle.

Appearance was typical of adjunct lagers, clear and pale yellow with a decent white head. Plenty of carbonation with this one.

What I could smell of it, corn is a big ingredient and this is quite apparent along with the cooked vegetable aroma that usually accompanies beers of this style. Still it is not off-putting.

The taste is dominated by corn with not much malt coming through. Little hop bitterness as well and no hop flavor. Carbonation is plenty, though and this leads to a nice dryness leaving you wanting another drink.

Overall, this beer is not spectacular but it is what it is. It is one of my favorite american adjunct lagers.

12-05-2011 00:39:28 | More by rangerred
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.