Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,079 | Hads: 3,401
4.34/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really think this is an underrated beer. It is one of my favorite go to beers. I often drink it like a Mexican beer in the summer with some lime and salt. It's excellent and has a good refreshing flavor to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. I don't care much for Miller Lite, but regular Miller is the champagne of beers. One of my favorite American Lagers. (364 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -62.8%

Sweet and metallically bitter. Bit cloying. Not rating this against like Heady or anything, but rating it against it's contemporaries, which are marginally better than this. (173 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Look: Pale straw with a weak head that dissipates

Smell: Musty, strangely fruity, wet paper, vaguely grainy,

Taste-heavy on the sweet malts, slight notes of what I imagine cardboard would taste like, but not entirely unenjoyable. no real semblance of any hops

Feel-Agressively carbonated, very light

Look, if you're drinking this beer you know what it is. A macro-brewed adjuct that's stupid cheap. In my opinion, this is one of the better cheap, mass produced brews. If I'm at a barbeque on hot summer day eating burgs and lounging by the pool, it might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn it down either. (620 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -1.4%

Look: A pale straw color with a moderate head that lingers a bit before fading.

Smell: Not much to comment on here, just the standard "beer" smell of an American Adjunct

Taste: Now here's where I was dis appointed, this really may as well be beer-flavored seltzer water. There's really nothing too it, or if there is, it's such a subtle flavoring that my palate, which normally prefers stronger flavors, cannot detect it. I like lighter beers, but this is not a good example.

Feel: The carbonation is about right, goes down like soda.

Overall: But, all that being said, normally you're going to be throwing these back at a dollar a bottle at a bar special. It's not great beer, but it's solid for a mass produced national brand. It's not unpleasant in anyway, which is more than I can say for many other beers I've tried. (825 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't say that this is my favorite in the AAL category, but I still like it because I just like beer in general. My favorite aspect of High Life is I can often pick it up for $13.00 or so for a 30 pack.

Now before I hear the usual poo poo's of "you get what you pay for," I just don't believe most people could really tell the difference between most AAL's if given a blind taste test. I've done it many times with friends, and only two people out of dozens were truly able to ID their "favorite" AAL. Face it, most AAL's just aren't that much different. They are just good, inexpensive beverages that we enjoy!

With that in mind, I can't see paying $20.00 for a 18 pack of Budweiser (highly overrated) when I can pay $13.00 for a 30 pack of this.

Its just a decent, inexpensive beer. Take it for that. (812 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 24 oz can at my local gas station because...well, why not? Best by date on the bottom states it's optimal for another month. Poured right from the fridge into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

L: Crystal-clear and golden straw-colored with about an inch of white head that fell quickly but to a nice film leaving more lacing than I was expecting. Profuse visible carbonation.

S: Cracker malt notes with that characteristic corny aroma. Some subdued skunk. A little bit of something metallic coming through, as well.

T: Soda cracker malts at the front end, with a bit of a dry white wine sensation. The middle reveals some of those adjunct flavors--corn and rice are discernible along with the earlier malt flavors. The back end provides a brief identification with cider, which isn't unpleasant alongside the other flavors. What is more unpleasant are the subtle metallic notes that accompany the close, which is otherwise crisp and fleetingly tart from what must be some hop presence.

F: Light-bodied and substantially carbonated. This one goes down smoothly and ends cleanly. Again, this one feels a lot like a cider on the palate.

O: Well, no one expects much of High Life, other than it should deliver what High Life has always delivered: an easy-drinking beer that's not too hard on the taste buds and costs relatively little. With such meager expectations in mind--and perhaps bucking the general sentiment toward American adjunct lagers on this website--I have to say that this is not a bad beer. If bars I visit don't happen to have good craft selections and/or lines I know have been cleaned within the last five years, I'll often go to this one. It could be attributed to sentiment or homerism, but I genuinely believe this brew tastes pretty decent. Certainly not great, but more than passable. (1,816 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not bad for a cheap AAL. It might not be as decent as I think it is, but it's quite nostalgic for me. This is one of the first beers I can remember relatives drinking at family gatherings. I thought those clear bottles were so cool. Why? I don't know. (251 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

when i was a kid, maybe my first or second summer drinking beer and living away from my folks sometime during high school, my friends and i saw twelve packs of bottles of high life on a pallet display for 4.99 apiece. we thought, what a heck of a price, and we polled up all our spending money and bought the whole darn thing. i think it was gone in a couple of weeks with our crew of dudes, and i had officially had my fill of this beer long before legal drinking age. it was never a bad beer, but in that kind of volume, it really destroyed its welcome pretty quickly. i occasionally revisit it now, at weddings and such, and when i do, i appreciate the memories a lot more than the beer (fuzzy as they are). its tangy and metallic in an unflattering way, but with that said, thats sort of its signature thing, and i could pick this out from a crowd of one hundred other american adjunct lagers. its refreshing when really cold, poundable to a truly sickening level, and is always cheap. maybe not as cheap as it used to be, but still downright inexpensive. just light its lighter brother, i prefer it much better from the can than the clear bottle, something about it is very different. overall nothing special, but its an important part of american history and my personal history, so it has a place in my heart, just not very often in my fridge. (1,350 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The "Champagne of Beers" is highly carbonated and tastes awful coming out of a can. Only way I can drink this is from the bottle. Used to get 40 oz. of these in college all the time. There's worse out there believe me. (218 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like the look. Used to drink a lot of this beer back in the day. Had a chance to drink again this past weekend and remembered. That this in not a bad option. Not saying this is the best beer in the world but it's not awful either (233 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Old trusty! I can honestly say I am never ashamed to pick up a High Life and chug it down. It is watered down, mild, but still has that classic taste I remember. It is a beer you can have 12 of at a party and just finally start to catch a buzz! (247 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Miller is not the worst beer I have ever drank. However, it is very close. It has a big popularity because of the cost. Have heard it called fermented piss, while i don't agree I still don't enjoy Miller. (204 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with good head. Cereal grain aroma, not much hop in the nose. Taste is good, good blend of hop and grain, not overly sweet. Good texture. Not a bad beer (188 characters)

i love miller high life no matter how many other beers i drink high life has remained my go to no bullshit after work beer some people think price makes a beer better well from what i see the lighter the calories in the beer ,the lower the alcohol content the more fuckin money they want for it and the more i have to drink to get a buzz high life you drink two or three and the party is started (395 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From a bottle
This lager is not too sweet, as some critics say it is, the corn sweetness is not too bad and it's well balanced with the rest of the ingredients. Forget about the stupid beer logo and slogan "the champaign of beer" I wish MBC would get rid of that slogan already. This is just a good tasting AAL and very low priced. (331 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Has craft brewing ruined the party? Check out the legendary "Bros" rating. 80. Yup 80. Why? How could they? Is it because Miller High Life is, was, and always will be the best party beer on the market? You can bet your only can of "Heady Topper" it is. Try drinking 12 cans of Heady Topper. I guarantee you will puke. Not so with High Life. Light, crisp, slight hop taste with a wet finish. Easily put away 12 of these babies with no sickness or bloated feeling. No headache. High Life deserves more credit. It taught us all how to drink beers. (547 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

I have always liked Miller High Life. It is pretty refreshing and crisp but not completely tasteless. It is nothing special but pretty good for an adjunct lager. (163 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

High Life is for the everday drinker who enjoys a clean, crisp, quantity - emphasized taste. A man drinks High Life to escape. A man drinks High Life because he's content. A man drink's High Life because he's a dreamer. A man drinks High Life because he's not quite sure of who he is. A man drinks High Life because he knows exactly who he is. Men drink High Life for many reasons, but the take away is that men drink High Life. So keep on moving, keep on drinking, and keep on living the high life. (500 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: pale straw yellow, not necessarily appetizing but it's appropriate for the style.
Smell: Faint hay and grassy smell.
Taste: Corn, hay, grass, husk.
Feel: Fizzy, smooth. Makes you want to take another sip.
Overall: It would not be hard to drink a 6 pack of these. One of my preferred AALs and one of the best quality beers for the price. (344 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +40.7%

Has maybe the best head and lacing of an American Lager I've tasted. A quality beer especially considering the value price point. Not fancy but solid. (150 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -63.4%

This honestly has to be one of da nastyes beer I ever tasted,
It smells like metal , dead skunk with a chemical taste to it... man color like piss....flat taste like water, no wonder its so cheap (195 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +29%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A golden oldie. Grew up in the 70's and every other beer is compared to it. Nothing special or pretentious about but takes you back like you are meeting an old friend. Would say probably the best value beer or the one I want on a hot summer day. (245 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

I have enjoyed this for too long, as in it was frequently stolen from my dad. I think that it is very refreshing, has a cool look to the bottle and is carbonated well enough so it doesn't seem to go skunky and flat as many others in it's class do. I have outgrown it, but will take one without hesitating if you hand it to me, unless there are roofiies in it or LSD or urine. Anything else is cool.. (399 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

The look and feel scores apply to the bottled. I always pour my beer into a glass but for Miller High Life I drink straight from the bottle and it's the only exception I make. Tastes the same now as it did when I was a kid. Retro look. Retro feel. So-so taste but on hot summer days this is a five straight across the board. (324 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Good beer to have a couple, but more than that usually leaves me much more bloated than with other beers. Must be all the carbonation, definitely the Champagne of Beers. (169 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.