Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,363 | Reviews: 1,141
2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Drank straight from bottle.
Well, if you're looking for a quality beer this ain't it. with that said, it wasn't awful.
Smell had corn, hops, and some sort of citrus. Taste followed the smell. Corn, hops some light fruit. Not much of a rich flavor and after taste was light. A crisp mouthfeel that gets better as the beer becomes colder. A good, light summer thirst quencher, and cheap.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

A - Pours yellow in color, very little carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops.

T - The taste is kinda sweet, but very watery.

M - Light body, not much of an aftertaste to talk about.

D - Drinkable I guess. Many moons ago I use to like this stuff.

2.61/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ah, Miller High Life - the champage of beers.

Pours a terrible pale yellow with no foam at all. Smell is very mild - some malt and sweet corn in there along with some floral hops. Taste is pretty much the same as the smell. A pleasant fresh floral hoppiness and very mild bitterness are there in small quantities along with the grain. The corn makes it a bit sickly tasting as it comes out more when the beer warms. Mouthfeel is pretty watery. Overall, I'd pick it over most of the other macro lagers, I guess.

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Look at this beer this way: It is simple, has been around for a long time, and is an industry standard. Yellow hue, with a decent head, smells like a cheap beer. Taste is actually very nice. It's just a beer taste. Nothing special here, but from Miller, this is probably their best offering. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredibly wonderful being that it is so easy to drink. By far, this is the best macro you can get.

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

This is a boring, (but acceptable), no frills American Macro Lager. It pours straw yellow with a fizzy white head. Its smell is hidden and subtle, but it smells like every other Macro (subtle grains). For the 'Champagne of Beers' it is above average in that I don't run away, but its nothing super special either. If you drink it ice cold, the crisp mouthfeel and the thinness make it a light and refreshing (easy drinking) brew. The taste is not exciting but not offensive either. You could say it is gentle on the palate. The bitterness is very mild and the malts are there but are hard to find. Clearly the rice and corn show through but overall there is simply not much taste, to talk about, at all. For a hot day doing physical work, this'll drink like water. For a Bar Beer, it is an acceptable choice. It is no champagne. It is nothing special, but it does have its place and time, and it is exactly what I expect and what I do not expect from a BMC beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.04/5  rDev -23.9%

This is a pretty terrible beer, though even after what 150 years, it still has its fans. I can understand why actually. The first time or two I tried it I thought it was pretty good. And the bottle is really cool besides. But the more I have drank this one, the less I like it. The color is a little darker than most in the American Macro category (at least those that are brewed in America). It's still definately yellow though. If you like High Life you'll probably call it yellow with a bit of depth. If you don't you'll probably describe it as sickly looking piss. I've had unbiased observers (that is people who've never had the brand and didn't recognize it either) ask me how I could drink something so gross looking. Smell is what I'd call average. It's actually on the sweet side, with hops that are a little funky, but at least noticably present. Taste is what kills this beer, and is where I've changed my mind. My views on the other aspects changed when I stopped appreciating the taste. At first, I thought it tasted pretty decent. It tends toward the sweet side, the adjunct of choice is obviously corn at least instead of rice, and the hops are only a little funky. The problem is that the more you drink this beer, the worse it gets. With each sip, the decent characteristics fade and the chemical bitter/nastiness comes the the fore. If you have more than two, not only does it become unbearable, but the taste will linger for hours after you finish it, even after you eat, or drink something else. The mouthfeel is about dead average, a bit fizzy but not bad otherwise. The drinkability sucks because of the way the nasty aftertaste slowly creeps in and takes over your mouth. Trust me, even from the bottle (and the canned version is supposd to be infinately worse) you would have to be absolutely out of your mind to drink more than 4 of these. The one time I drank 4, even brushing my teeth could't dent the lingering aftertaste. I used to think this was my go-to budget beer. Now I say avoid at all costs. Maybe not as bad as Bud, but who knows, if you drink a fifth High Life it might taste even worse than that. I for one don't want to find out.

2.57/5  rDev -4.1%

Straw colour with fluffy, rather dry looking head. Smells of a combination of cream, honey and an unfortunate hint of beer soaked bar towels. Tastes rather bland, but not obnoxious. It is rather sweet with a one dimensional bitterness and a rather dry finish. Seems a little stale. If it were less sweet and a little crisper it would be much better.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

12oz clear bottle wtih classic labeling. No freshness dating, or at least one that is consumer friendly.

Golden hued beer, bright, with a patchy white foam head comprised of mixed bubble sizes. Large bubbled slow carbonation. Lacing has some stick, with a moderate level of head retention.

Ultra-clean nose on this one, faint grain and an even fainter freshly husked corn aroma.

Even, medium bodied brew. Fizzy carbonation. Crisp. Smooth, with a creamy carbonation feel on the palate. Mild steely character in the flavor, some watery malty / creamed corn sweetness that sticks to the palate. Touch of malt husks, corn grits, with a drying edge. Corn flavor gets more pronounced as the beer warms and casts a blandness across the palate. Hop character is nearly non-existent with this tasting. Finishes with some residual dextriny sweetness and corn. Not overly clean, but it passes.

Drink ice cold for maximum enjoyment, but mostly so those corn flavors stay where they should.

3.32/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours extra pale gold with a pristine clarity. Two finger head of dense soap bubbles; not much retention but the sticky lacing is impressive. Corn and cereal nose, with some pale malt hiding in the background. Distinctly adjunct flavor, but appropriatly light and balanced. Crisp and clean mouthfeel that leaves only whispers of adjunct in the aftertaste. Not bad for a macro, and you can't beat the price!

3.56/5  rDev +32.8%

12 oz clear twist-off bottle with no freshness date found.

A- Great head retention, I was quite surprised and impressed at the same time. Good clinging action and the pale yellow golden hue donned a perfect clarity.

S- Sharp cooked corn aroma, mild grain husk as well. Clean other than that.

T&M- Solid crispness in a light body. Grainy with a hay like character, mild hop bitterness and a faintness of corn in the back. Clean on the palate with a grand smoothness that make you want to take another sip.

D- Easy to drink with mild flavors and a good wash of crispness. A tasty American Lager. Went excellent with the lamb and steak tips I grilled.

3.35/5  rDev +25%

Poured a pale amber color with massive white puffy head. Smell is moderately sweet and fairly pleasant. Taste is nice and refreshing. Leaves an enjoyable, but very light taste in the mouth. Somewhat creamy. Finish is also very mild and refreshing. This is a good cheap beer for a hot summer afternoon.

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a pale straw yellow and brilliantly clear. Nicely carbonated with a billowy white head. Escaping bubbles of carbonation were plainly visible. Aroma was dominated by cooked corn--though not unpleasantly so--with some faint malt sweetness lurking in the background. Light-to-medium body, again with the DMS/cooked corn in the taste. There may have been a little astringency there, too, and this one definitely leaned toward the sweet side.

I'm not going to say something dumb like this is one of the best beers I've ever had. It's not. However, it is a fine example of an American macrobrew. It's inoffensive, cheap, and highly quaffable; makes an excellent choice for a summer afternoon or evening in front of the television with a ballgame on. Hands down it's my choice for a refreshing lawnmower beer.

3.76/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For cheap macro swill, High Life (from 12oz. bottles) is hard to beat.

Typical American macro lager looks, apart from the slightly foamy head that actually tends to stick around. Smell is harsh, grainy, and not particualrly pleasant.

Tastes very grainy. Highly carbonated corn. Some malt sweetness with just a faint taste of hops towards the clean finish. Mouthfeel would be hard to match by a marco lager.

The beer to get with buddies who refuse anything that it's straw yellow and dirt cheap. The obvious choice for the poor college student as well.

3.28/5  rDev +22.4%

The unmistakable character of Miller High Life. Ahhh....

I remember rocking this stuff from 6th and North in Milwaukee back in high school.... wait, did I say HIGH SCHOOL?

Poured with a decent head and little lacing. Typical straw Miller. Unmistakable.

Speaking of unmistakable, unmistakable apple juice aroma. Love that Miller High Life. Sweet initial offering and then a pretty weak hop blast.

Slight caramel twinge folled by an overly estery (for a lager) wallop in the end.

Slammable? If you're in high school and you want to unwind, of course. When you're 26 and you know better... it's still slammable.

Respect Wisconsin.

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%

This beer is probably the best of the american commercial beers, I like it a lot better than budweiser. This beer is average all the way down, I got the 16 oz cans of it, doesnt change taste too much as it warms, but seve it cold as possible. If i had to choose between bud/coors/miller category, I'd choose the high life. It's actually pretty cheap and not that bad a beer.

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

poured out of a 24 ounce bottle - pale yellow with lots of fizzy head which subsided rapidly to about a 1/8 inch layer of foam.

aromoa is grain husks and alcohol

taste is bitter up front followed by a bit of malt and graininess, there is a small hop presence, just a little more hops would greatly improve this beer, but alas.

mouthfeel is crisp, a bit thin

Drinkability is high, easy to drink beer although very boring, would be good with pizza or spicy food.

overall, this beer really isn't that bad, at least it tastes like beer unlike several other macros or lights, it is something i would never turn down if offered at a party, also the price is very low. I drink this right out of the bottle as i don't see much point in pouring this one so it is a good choice at cookout or something when no glass is available. anyway, I am not ashamed to drink High Life.

4.22/5  rDev +57.5%

Miller had an example of good beer, miller high life in a 40oz bottle, a lager made without rice, malt, hops, corn starch, and flavorful water, its blonde color is because to its clear and dry malt; good with mexican cheese and american food, try with mexican antojitos too, serve in a glass mug previously cooled, with lime too; 92% recommended.

3.17/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A few years ago a friend of a friend moved into my apartment to take the extra room, split the rent, etc... I did not know this person, and when bottles of High Life started to show up in the fridge I remember thinking "The Champagne of Beers? Are you kidding me? I don't like the look of this" I wasn't even beer enlightened at the time, but still I did not like this beer on sight.

Well of course I drank some. And drank some more. And more...

You know, it's really not that bad.

I'll break it down. Color is unimpressive, too pale. The head is just fizzy and weak. Nothing new in the world of cheap American lager so far. Smell is slightly sour, with the barest hint of malt grape lollipop, and hops. Taste is slightly sour and sharply bitter at first, malt in the backround from start to finish, corn?, wouldn't surprise me. A slightly detectable hop flavor as well. Heavily carbonated, which I didn't take points away for, because I really don't mind lots of fizz.

A simple cheap beer.

2.27/5  rDev -15.3%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

High Life has been my choice of budget beer (5.49 12 pk) since my freshman year of college. It's not much to look at, don't bother pouring it into a glass, but it is much better than it's competition. Other beers in it's price range would be Pabst, Beast, Keystone, etc... and this is far more enjoyable than any of those. Depending on my mood, I might actually reach for a High Life in the presence of far superior beers just because it's easy to drink.

Bottom line is, although theres no great unique taste, there's also no bad taste. It's just a cheap, easy to drink beer. I would drink this over a Bud anyday

2.7/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer smells and looks of corn. This is not necassarily a bad thing as it is typical of American macro lager. Relative to its brothers Miller highlife is quite good actually. It has a straw yellow color and an easy swallow at a low price. That's about all you can reasonably expect from it and in my opinion it does this better that budweiser. The bottles are clear, so they offer little protection from light. I also noticed that it doesn't really leave you with much of a hangover, but I sobered up almost completely before I went to bed.

3.58/5  rDev +33.6%

I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, as befits the Champagne of Beers. High Life pours a very pale gold color, good head, good lacing. Doesn't really smell like much, but tastes remarkably good for "swill," sweetly malty with a nice biscuity finish. Mouthfeel is overly fizzy--the "champagne," I suppose--but still, High Life's not so bad. Easily my beer of choice for its class, and better than stuff like New Glarus's Totally Naked.

I'll hopefully pick up a bottle of High Life soon for comparison, as I remember it being superior to the canned version.

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

I admit that I've got a thing for "Grandpa's Beers." Special X, High Life, Papst, and Old Style all do it for me.

This is one that I always keep around in the fridge. At $9 for a case of bottles, High Life makes the perfect “just in case” beer. It’s like a safety net. I like having it near by, knowing that if my obnoxious cousin comes over I won’t have to offer him a Bell’s or something because trusty Miller is there for the non-beer drinker’s beer drinker. Oh, and this beer is called Miller, just plain Miller, not High Life.

Let’s start with the look. The beer itself is nothing special. It looks like liquid sweet corn. The head is thin, white, and not lasting. Overall, the appearance is what you would expect from just about any macro.

The bottle, however, is a different story all together. It features the famous Miller Girl Over the Moon label, which was created long ago by famed industrial designer Brooks Stevens. Stevens is kind of like the Frank Lloyd Wright of industrial design and is probably most known for the invention of the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile.

Anyways, the fact that the bottle has a small but kick ass print that was designed by an awesome Wisconsinite gives it a little appearance bonus in my book.

As to the taste, it’s corn syrup. Nothing more, nothing less.

The mouth feel’s not bad, thin, mildly carbonated, refreshing.

What I really like is this beer’s drinkability. It goes down so easy but doesn’t go through me like lite does. I can throw back a bunch of these and I don’t feel full but I do feel like I’m drinking beer, not water.

This is a solid beer and better than bud by leaps and bounds.

3.43/5  rDev +28%

This is not a bad beer, but due to some who must bash macros, it gets a bad rap. Poured out to a solid golden yellow color with a decent head that came down to about 1/8th of an inch. Odors of corn and malt were present. Taste was consistant with aroma. Very strong flavors of corn and malt, along with a syrupy sweetness that gives this brew a nice appeal. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, almost like liquid silk. Very nice. When you take the price into the equation, this brew is a no brainer. The best of any AB, Miller or Coors product. Good session beer. Recommended.

2.81/5  rDev +4.9%

This is an old standby. Craft beer lovers whould stay away from it but on a college student's budget, sometimes the $6 12er is all that one can get.

pours a straw colored yellow with a good head if poured aggrerssively. the head doesn't stick around too long.

Aroma is of malt and yeast, not very complex at all, though what do you expect.

Not much to the taste for those used to IPA's like I am very smooth, almost no hops a little yeast on the finish.

Very drinkable, a good beer on a hot day but just for refreshment, not for taste. Not very filling, easy to run through them.

The Champagne of beers is just a cheap macro afterall.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.