Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros

ParkbrauFan, Mar 28, 2014
1.58/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured from a tall-boy can into pilsner glass. Can marked June1311 on bottom. I am reviewing this beer because it is THE beer my father has drank...ever since he got out of the navy after serving more than 8 years.

A. A rather mild pour yields 3, yes 3 fingers of big, bubbly, foamy white head. The body is an unremarkable, practically clear yellow color. Bubbles are observed rising to to the top in a slow but regular fashion. As the head slowly dies I pour more into my glass, and note that the head, although large, shrinks in a few minutes, and really is rather weak. Has an odd lacing on the top of the glass, but this doesn't keep going as I drink, just sits at the top.

S. Weak. I smell corn, the ghost of grain and metal. At least it isn't skunked.

T. Pretty much follows the nose. LOTS of corn, a bit of grain, but the metal is a little more downplayed.

M. Ever had water? You know, H2O? Yeah, it's kinda like that, with a little carbonation.

O. Overall, this is possibly the worst beer I've had in my life. I've only drank a handful of these in the past, because even in my macro brew days, I steered clear of my father's beer. The only thing this beer has going for it is the can I picked up has a pretty lady on it. Honestly, the warmer it gets, the more I get metal and corn. I believe this will be my last in my lifetime.

CFHMagnet, Jun 11, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -53.2%

foxyaardvark27, Oct 19, 2012

uziangis, Jan 13, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Wow, this is my first 'can' review. I find it odd how I tend to stay away from cans when I can (hmm, no pun intended). This beer is one of the staples of parties it seems but it's really the first time I've encountered it. I had a hearty chuckle reading its slogan, 'The Champagne of Beers'. You know what it's good for? Beer pong. I would not drink this if I had a choice, but hey it has a taste.

Pours like piss, smells like macro beer. Tastes like alcohol and some malt, isn't too skunky which is good for chucking a few ounces here and there when you're losing beer pong. We almost won! Overall, this beer isn't that great :).

aquatonex, Oct 17, 2004
2.75/5  rDev +3%

toppoop, Jun 20, 2014

100200300, Jul 03, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +47.2%

I only base my reviews based on the style of the beer.

Appearance is amazing for the style. Pours a three finger head that sticks to the side of the glass to the end. So the retention is great! Golden clear color with some carbonation bubbling up.

Sweet malt, some cooked grains, and a touch of grassy hops hit the nose. Nothing offensive.

The taste is classic American lager. Nothing over done just a good balance of clean grassy hops with a touch of bitterness. Some hits of cereal grains, sweet malts and clean finish.

I will put this lager up with my other favorite macro lagers in American (Pabst and Schlitz. Clean, easy drinking lager that is perfect for hotter weather. Yes, nothing in this beer is over done. But, that is why many like it. Just clean easy drinking with no nasty after taste just good balance for the style.

Luigi, Sep 28, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +3%

JIMTRK16, Feb 26, 2014
2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

This review is of the regular strength version (not the Oklahoma 3-point version), out of 40 oz. bottle I bought from a convenience store in Harlem, NY near the hostel I'm staying at tonight.

Miller High Life was the first beer I ever drank but I haven't had it in 10 years so I thought it was time to give it another try. Of course this isn't 3 point so it isn't a fair comparison, but I'm enjoying this far more than I expected to.

Bright gold color (I'm drinking out of the bottle though as most macros to me don't improve when poured into a glass). The aroma is kinda grainy with some funky macro notes.

The taste is... better than I expected and frankly better than most macros out there. The dominant charecteristic is the grain. Not much bitterness or hop flavor but there is a slightly funky aftertaste (but not as bad as in some macros)

Lots of carbonation which works well.

If you're low on cash (as I am tonight) and want a half-way drinkable beer, this is a good choice. Definitely drink it cold.

(My scores for this beer are judging it compared to it's style, which got it a .5 bump. If compared to most microbrews, I would not judge this beer so high.)

jmbranum, Apr 16, 2007
1.1/5  rDev -58.8%

There is not a lot to say about this beer that is good, not for me anyway. The beer is a nice light gold colour that is reminiscent of American lagers. There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste. The mouthfeel is very watery with hints of carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others.

cyrenaica, Jun 25, 2007

AGust82, Oct 29, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

mpenske, Jan 05, 2014
3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Light golden color and crystal clear. Half inch white head took a minute or two to fade down. Lots of carbonation can be seen rising. Foam-like lacing left in clumps.

Crisp and grainy aromas. Very typical of most beers in this style, the majority of the scent comes from the adjuncts. Fresh corn is in abundance, and hangs on a few moments in the nose.

Interesting taste of corn with a slightly soapy coating. Very clean, and doesn't hang around. Not much in the way of different flavors to be found, just an all adjunct taste.

Decent viscosity with a light finish. A nice burst of carbonation to help tingle as it passes over the tongue.

Not a bad beer overall. Great to wash down anything from a grill on a hot day. A decent standout against to many lesser choices in style. Not my first choice, but a good go to macro.

RedChrome, Jul 09, 2007

sebaastionb, May 24, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -6.4%

CorgiDad, Mar 16, 2014

Had on tap at Nick's in Bloomington.

Bright yellow color in the beer with a slight amount of white head (not bad from a pitcher).

The adjuncts are the first aroma you get, with a hint of sweetness.

The flavor is a grainy but sweet one. Corn and wheat dominate the pallate. A slight, very slight bitterness can be detected in the back end of the flavor, but not overwhelming.

Crisp, filling feel with a good amount of carbonation.

You could do better. You could do worse. All in all, it is a beer that goes down easy and is not over filling but delivers enough flavor to make it substantially better than your average macro lager.

cnally, Jun 01, 2009

PalatePilot, Oct 29, 2013

yuenglingade, Jan 23, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears light golden with high carbonation. Thin head, and a soapy ring holds throughout consumption and actually laces glass to the very bottom! Smells a little dry with a rice/corn aroma that dominates. A little overpowering musky, rice like aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of stale bread, corn, rice and a touch of offensive sourness. No hops detected at first. When beer warms however, sweet malts start to present, ss well as sort of a stale hop flavor. Mouthfeel is very crisp and highly carbonated, lite-medium bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - If I had to, I could toss back a 6 pack of this beer. Any more than that and I would get tired of the stale corny, rice like flavors that this beer is made of. Not much to say, it's cheap, and that's about all I like about this beer. I don't recommend anyone try this beer, it's a little one profile and gets boring and tiring fast! If your into American Adjuncts, then look else where cause there are allot better ones out there in my opinion.

PintOHops, Nov 14, 2008
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.