Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

Drinking as i type this.

12 oz can onto Atlas Mason jar.

A: Golden with a nice four finger head. As head dissipates there is nice lacing up and down the glass. Head retention is not to bad for this type of beer as well.

S: I usually can smell only can but this must be a fresh batch. I get an odor of moldering apples, fresh grains, light malt, and tiniest ghost of a hop. The quintessential smell of beer.

T: Sometimes its too sweet for me, but its not too bad today. Tastes like childhood. Tastes like it smells with a metallic aftertaste, its a bit much out of the can, but I get the same effect from the bottle.

D: I could drink this beer all the day through. This beer keeps getting better until its too late, but I guess this is true with all alcohol and the hedonists that consume it. This was my Dad's beer of choice and the beer he weened me on. I always think of him when I have one, so to me this beer is fucking one of the best.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

1.44/5  rDev -46.3%

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

The cheap alternative is my nick name for this beer. It definitely drinks easy and taste is non existent but when you want beer and you only have $4 or so. Here is your product. Are you having a party and plan on being bored, here you go. They do support the troops though and make good commercials but a beer should be more than that. How did they make this stuff, but then also make a master piece with MGD.

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

3.7/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, this, alongside the MGD was the "classier" beer we'd drink when I was in undergrad (mind you, that wasn't too long ago..I'm not that old)

Appearance: Pale, gold..with some lacing from the foam. Looks like the typical macro lager...fits the bill nicely. This is the first time I haven't had this from a 40 oz.

Aroma: Corn and a slight "beery" smell, if anything. Its pretty bland. Nothing disgusting or offensive.

Taste: A bit sweetish, all else is maybe the corn, but really not much. I guess its malt sweetness to a degree, but I wouldn't say the malts are overpowering, neither is the sweetness. Again, like the smell, its nothing disgusting or offensive in any way.

Mouthfeel: Watery and thin, as expected. Its got a good deal of carbonation that makes it pretty refreshing though. Goes down fairly smoothly.

Drinkability: This is probably its best feature, and I think this is the main feature that American Macro Lagers try to get at. Its pretty simple, and its cheap, and it does the trick if you want to get a refreshing beer, or sit out on the deck.

If I wanted a beer to drink outside on a hot day, it would be a hefeweizen or a witbier, but if I feel like being cheap, this works as well. I'm cheap in certain things, but beer is NOT one of those things.

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%

I was a little surpised by this beer. Wasn't all too bad I have to admit. Poured out a pale yellow with a somewhat decent head on it. Smell was a little too clean, just some grainy aromas in there, not much to talk about. Taste was somewhat respectable though. A little bit of hops show up along with some sweetness and bitterness, but there's just a little too much sweetness to my liking. Considering it's made by one of the big three, and that there's some actual beer elements (hopefully) in there, it's somewhat average compared to other beers. Having a BBQ soon and don't have that much cash? This is the way to go then.

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

Hint of corn and almost some malt on the slightly sweet, yet subtle nose. The flavor is pretty much the same – slightly sweet hint of malt, maybe a bit of corn and little generic sugary flavor. The carbonation comes to wash away the flavor almost as soon as I can start to taste it. There is a bit of a metallic (not quite hoppy) aftertaste, but it's not harsh.

I think overall this is definitely a serviceable brew for the category. I don't think it's as “clean” (or perhaps 'flavorless') as Bud though, it has more character. The lingering corn and metallic flavor almost simulate real beer flavors, almost.

1.5/5  rDev -44%

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours an ultra-clear pale straw color with a snow-white fluffy head. The head retention is actually amazing for a macro. The smell of sweet corn adjuncts and a black pepper aroma in the background smell decent for what it is. The taste is a very mild earthy grain with again, some corn adjuncts and almost a hint of hops. Most all of the bite is from the carbonation. It is a thin bodied beer and drinkability is fairly high, especially in the Texas heat. I still prefer PBR over this, but this beer is not bad, it's just rather bland and boring. Cheers!

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.