Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,080 | Hads: 3,403
2.88/5  rDev -0.7%

A guilty pleasure when craft is not present. It drinks a bit syrupy, but that is part of its charm. As it warms, it is still enjoyable. Great for baseball games, and anytime you are looking for a "cheap" beer but don't care about the calorie count. (248 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

Miller High Life is about the same as any other American lager. To me they are all about the same. I bought a case of it to just try to save some money, and though it's not terrible, there is nothing unique or special about it. I will probably buy Yuengling if I am looking for a cheaper Lager, or even Schlitz, both have more of an interesting flavor than this beer. About the same as Bud, Coors, or any other Miller offering if you ask me, but good on a hot day, and cheap if you are pinching pennies. (503 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +15.5%

How can anyone hate this beer? Yes it's cheap, but honestly it tastes great for its price. For being a mass produced beer it is incredibly good. The color is dull and the smell is nothing impressive, but the taste is perfectly fine and the head is is quite massive. very carbonated. It is very drinkable and finishes fairly smooth. I would say this is the real beer drinker's cheap beer. When I don't have the cash to buy a case of Sierra Nevada, I'll go with a dirty 30 of high life. Tastes even better in the bottles. I will forever respect the Champagne of Beers. Cheers. (574 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -22.1%

12 ounce bottle
Poured into a glass
Medium to average head
Light gold color
Interesting smell and taste, one that I don't prefer

Overall I would not recommend this beer. If it is the only choice, then it is definitely drinkable, but don't go actively seek out this one. (270 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +19%

Served out of a 16 oz. pint can.

Appearance is typical golden straw colored American lager look.
Starts out with a decent bright white head that diminishes to a half-finger head, then fades away to give the beer a fizzy surface.
Lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top.

Smells of malt and corn. A little bitterness in the background, but mostly sweet corn.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated, slightly watery, but pleasant.

Lots of corn taste. Slightly sweet, but refreshing. Some bitterness mid-swig that follows through on the aftertaste.

Overall its a nice cheaper beer. One of my go-to's, the other being Pabst. But this is a good beer for a bachelor or a college student on a budget like myself. A lawnmower beer. (723 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Look is typical of American adjacent lagers. Smell is if metallic copper and iron with hits of stale grain. Taste is even worse at first you get dank grains then taken by overpowered metallic funk. This stuff tastes like a result of a bar fight, just metallic blood and left over beer. Feel is very much like champagne like the name suggests. Overall is terrible. I would have to be very sloshed to drink this and not want to punch a stranger from the funky twang it leaves in your mouth. (488 characters)

One of the Big Three in sales and availability, Miller has been a solid presence in the beer shelf for as long as I've been around. I've drunk enough of these to have the flavor profile etched into my taste buds. Ubiquitous presence at parties, events, and weekenders.

I don't much like it. It's got decent body and flavor, but it has a sweetness aftertaste I really don't like. Fruity palate, that's for sure. Perhaps drinkable by you, I will give it a pass every time. Do not care for Miller's flavor choices. (512 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%

I really can't complain. This has been the mainstay beer of my adolescence life, and you know what it has done the job. It gets you drunk and for $11.99 a twenty-four pack it isn't all that bad. I definitely prefer the Pabst breweries much better. I've had much better times with Rainier, Schlitz, Hamm's, and Stroh's but Miller High Life has always been a standard brew that is easily abtainable anywhere in the country. As I've matured in my years I've tried to avoid high life more and more but whenever you are pinchin' pennies high life always tries to find it's way back into your fridge. In my opinion this is the best universally available cheap domestic lager in the great patriotic nation of America. It's the Champagne of Beers! (739 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +7.6%

MILLER HIGH LIFE VERSUS JEFF

It was a cool and golden evening, yet refreshing and corny. A man dives, elegantly yet with masterful precision; his nose penetrates the surface. What's this? Before his body is consumed by the brilliant liquid the man hovers, suspended, an odor enshrouding his nasal membranes. "Corn..." The wind whispers as if it were a maligned lover, leprous and proud. A taste, a taste, oh what an urge! The man's lips embrace the golden tears and a word, possibly the most important word in the history of the English language, infiltrates his brain, "Husk..."

He ponders, "Yes, husk. It's as though life, at this moment, has been transmogrified into a pool... A golden pool of corn! But wait! Husk, or is it life? Is it life?!"

"Life..." The wind whispers as the man finally immerses his entire being, both physically and spiritually into the sparkling pool. Once suspended, face merely grazing the surface, the man now enters the realm of Cheap-and-Refreshing. (985 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -53.4%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had. Actually, it is. My friends and I thought this would be a good change from National Bohemian since this was on sale for 11 bux for a 30pack. A hell of a deal in my book. Turns out, I will never buy or drink this beer no matter what ever again. I'd rather be sober as a bird than drink this garbage for free.

Upon opening the beer and pouring into the glass, there was a TON of head! About 3 fingers. Head is usually associated with a good beer in my opinion like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, etc., but not this beer.

The smell is that of a typical macro-brew except -1. The taste is slightly better than that of a National Bohemian. Those of you that aren't familiar with National Bohemian it is an extremely cheap beer that is only about 10 dollars for a 12 pack. It is purely a Maryland domestic beer, but it is the best value for your money. NB is of a slightly less caliber than Coors Light. But anyway, High Life's mouthfeel is horrible and has a foam feel to it when it's in your mouth.

The drinkability is even more horrible as well as this beer makes you extremely full extremely fast. Also the next day you feel like a complete fat-ass when you roll out of bed and you can just feel it latch onto your fatty-liver and gut.

When you look at your glass afterwards, you can see all the foam and sugars latch onto the glass of your beer and it's really quite disgusting. I've never had such an experience with such a cheap macro-beer. Sam Adams, I get the residue in the glass, I understand it and it doesn't look dirty, it looks natural. High Life looks utterly disgusting and you just wonder what the hell it's doing in your stomach.

If your having a party and you really feel like skimping out on the beer without skimping out on quantity, get this I suppose. I'd rather drink any other macro-beer besides this. At least scum-beers like Natural Light and Busch Light don't make you so damn full.

Oh, and as far as power hours go, DO NOT USE THIS BEER! (2,018 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +17.2%

Looks like every other American macro, except for the fact that the head is rather persistent. The beer is very bubbly, which gives it the famous tag line "Champagne of Beers". This beer is very cheap with high drinkability. Great beer to bring to a tailgate, when you are tired of seeing Bud.

I can consistently pick up a 4-pack 16oz cans for $2.50. (351 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -3.8%

well I had to go and buy a second twelver of these fine mediocre beers. I mean it aint that bad. really I mean it tastes like beer ya know so what could be worse It aint no ice beer or a lambic or a belgium. It is some single row malt with some sugar and a dusting of low alpha hops. but I don't mind drinking it so I give it an overall c to c- but for 11.99 a halfrack and with the sweet champagne bottles I felt it wern't too bad after all. so I got's me another twelve this fine halloween mornin'. I kinda like this for a work beer when I sit back and paint I likes to sip on a brew and you know this one is a brew so therefor it must be kinda okay... smells like beer, tastes like beer, it must be beer.... (710 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is. (714 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a light, see through yellow, with a 2 finger head that dissipates rapidly, and very carbonated. Almost burns a little bit after the first sip. basic macro style lager taste. taste like bud light and coors. it is refreshing on a hot day but not a beer you sit and enjoy. (275 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -41%

A friend of mine had a party recently in which one of her friends brought an entire case of Miller High Life. Since there were several cans remaining at the end of the festivities I asked her for one so I could write a review on it. "The Champagne of Beers", the can says. Well, this doesn't look like champagne and certainly doesn't smell like it. With some trepidation I poured it into an old Yuengling pint glass (the better glasses don't deserve such indignity inflicted on them).

A: Pours an amber golden color (well, at least it has color), with a one-finger bubbly head that quickly dissipates into a white haze at the top. It looks vaguely like a urine sample, not particularly appetizing. The beer actually manages to have a decent amount of lacing.

S: Piss! It really does smell like urine, with a sort of sickly-sweet (corn?) smell coupled with a distinct B.O. undertone and a metallic note. Already I have a bad feeling about this.

T: Ugh! Sickly sweet is right! Cardboard, vegetables, soggy Fritos, copper, pretty much anything but malt and hops. It hits the tongue with some indescribable but distinctly unpleasant funk (is this what gym socks taste like?). As the beer warms up the funk becomes increasingly funky and nasty. Chemical finish.

M: Thin, weak, watery. There's no weight or body to this at all, it's like corn-and-B.O.-flavored soda water.

O: Well, it's not Bud Light but it's pretty bad. The smell alone makes me not want to drink it. If you want "great pilsner taste" try Warsteiner Premium Verum or Pilsner Urquell. I drank about half of it before drainpouring the rest. Even if it's cheap, I'd rather have a lower quantity of something decent than this. Not recommended. (1,707 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2012 Miller High Life - Reviewed 10/4/2012

Appearance: Miller High life pours a light straw color. Carbonation is visible in the bottle but not after decanting. Head starts off strong, but quickly dissipates to a light dusting. Lacing is minimal, but persistent.

Aroma: Very sweet corn with general malt and light hints of a Subway dining room.

Taste: Once again, very prominent sweet corn notes with lager adjuncts, caramel malts. One of the fresher High Life's that I've had, yet still a bit of skunkiness on the back end, followed by a clear finish.

Mouthfeel: This beverage is pleasant carbonated, and has the body of a nice light beer rather than a normal malt liquor.

Overall: This is a highly underrated beer. If looking for 40oz that pairs well with fish, chicken, or vegetarian meal, look no further than Miller High Life. Looking for a gateway beverage between malt liquor and craft beer? Grab a High Life 40. The semi-sweetness of the malt is very well balanced with the burn of the alcohol, making this one of the most drinkable 40's available. (1,061 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

In my opinion, I'd say that the miller high life is potentially the best tasting beer that the miller brewing co makes. That's not to say its a great beer, but lets face it, if I had to choose amongst the typical Miller brands, it would probably be this. As far as flavor, it's crisp and refreshing with a lot of carbonation. The taste is decent. It certainly isn't anywhere near the best, but I wouldn't rule it out. (417 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -43.4%

What kind of a beer drinker would be alured by the concept of his brew tasting like champagne? In short this terrible drink made me feel as if I was a kid who had snuck into his Dad's tool shed and slammed down a bottle of chemicals. If you aren't ashamed to walk out of a store with this one, then perhaps you should walk out with a case of "Natural Light" instead? 1,000,000 college kids can't be wrong! Take it easy boys and girls! (434 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%

From a 24 oz. tallboy, average smell, color a very pale yellow with a decent head falling to lacing. Taste and mouthfeel are pleasing, tastes and finishes very clean, with no bitter aftertaste to note. Somewhat of a detectable sweet finish to the palate. A little over carbonated, as there are a lot of bubbles in each swallow.

I would gladly take a Miller High Life any day of the many offerings of the "big 3." Not the greatest beer you'll ever drink, but considering that it is one of the cheaper beers out there, the taste is definately worth the price. This one is probably my favorite "cheap beer." (608 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

As far as American Macro lagers, I used to turn to Budweiser. However, now Miller High Life is at the top for me. Is it the greatest beer around? No. Certainly not. But for the price, I think it's a solid every day beer.

Nothing in the appearance. Pleasant smell. Good, slightly hoppy taste. (292 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +2.1%

This has become a mainstay of mine for the past few years. As we've felt the economic pinch, and I've looked for quality beer buys, this has come up more often than not. I try to keep a few in the fridge if at all possible. It's often to be found at Rite-aid for $6.99 a twelver -- significantly less than BMC or Rolling Rock, little more than PBR.

It's beer -- nothing very distinctive about it. Pretty corny-tasting, but clean and crisp. It lacks the gnarly aftertaste I find in Bud products, but also lacks the tasty,slight hoppy bitterness to be found in PBR. I'd choose Blue Ribbon over this any day, but a 24-oz can of this stuff for a $1.50 on impulse at Von's can't be beat on a Saturday afternoon. (708 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%

Another pale golden macro lager, though oddly more enjoyable then most. The smell and taste smack of grain and corn. The Champagne of beers is definitely highly carbonated, making it somewhat refreshing. I wish I could put a finger on what it is that makes this beer more drinkable then a lot of the others in the category.

***WARNING: DO NOT LET THIS BEER WARM-UP!!! IF YOU DO, IT COULD LEAD TO A RATHER NASTY EXPERIENCE*** (425 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +9.3%

Served in a 40oz. bottle, the way God intended, so there isn't much to comment on the pour or the head. The bottle does make a satisfying hiss as I twist off the screw-top cap, though. Through the clear bottle, the beer is hay-colored and fizzy as tonic water.

Not much smell through the tiny bottle top. What I am able to sense is a mixture of bread and funk. More nostalgia than identifiable odor...all I can think of is the floor of a frat house basement.

The taste is grainy and bready, with a huge adjunct presence. It's less ricey than Bud Light and it's brethren, but there's a definite corn flavor that only gets worse as the beer warms up. Sweet malts, spoiled apple and grass. There's the tiniest bit of hops at the very back - barely noticeable until after the beer's been swallowed - which lingers on the tongue for just a second. Aftertaste is nonexistant.

Mouthfeel is light, cold & bubbly. Incredibly drinkable. One could easily demolish a six-pack without even noticing.
...at first.

If this was a 12oz. bottle, things would be bright and cheery. But, being a 40ouncer, the beer is warm and the carbonation is completely gone by the time I hit the last 8 ounces. The character of the brew completely changes without the shield of temperature and bubbles. It tastes like apple juice, with a slice of bread, all stuck in a blender and left to sit on the counter for a week. I'm not sure how, but I managed to choke down the last few sips and put this one to bed.

Full article: http://timdudley.net/beer/?p=57 (1,528 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +20%

this beer is based on the style it is classified in... nothing special but it's a good beer for a night out with the guys. not so sure it's the champagne of beers but for my money, i'd buy it again. has a musky taste to it that isn't overpowering. you can definately suck down quite a few of these. the one(s) i had were in tall-boy cans....can't get any better than that. (372 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a clear light gold with medium head. Smells like sweet nectar. Pretty tasty for a super cheap beer. Tastes like sweet nectar with a zest of honey and corn, watered down. Nice and refreshing for the right day of the summer. Nothing quite like sitting out on the patio on a hot summer day sucking down a cold pitcher of Miller High Life. (341 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.