Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
2.05/5  rDev -23.5%

Cleaning out the fridge to go shopping tomorrow on my day off Veterans Day (yes I work for the Feds). I had two bottles of this. Note: This is NOT my beer, my father drinks mostly this and PBR. He left it. I had to dispose of it. Might as well find out if it is as bad as I remember.

Appearance: Pale gold, small head that disappeared after one sip. No lacing. Bubbly (it is the "Champagne of Beers). All downhill from here.
Smell: Not much here, although I was surprised it was not skunked, being in a clear bottle and in my fridge for a month.
Taste: Slightly sweet on the outset, slightly bitter finish, made my stomach hurt.
Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated, watery.
Drinkability: Should be high, but I struggled to put 2 down. For some reason I have never really liked Miller products, even though I don't think they are that drastically different than the other macros in content.

3.75/5  rDev +39.9%

Appearance- Nice white foam head with moderate to high carbonation as small bubbles steam in the glass, nice yellow golden color very clear

Smell- Crisp corn and grain can be smelt with slight hop and malts, nothing overwhelming

Taste- Smooth creaminess on the start with a nice slight bitter finish, little bit of sweetness to make a nice mix in the flavor with slight bitter kick, corn is clearly apparent with slightly grain notes, very tasty in my opinion for the style

Mouthfeel- Light and crisp yet with a bit of a nice smoothness to it that make it a good mix

Drinkability- the drink ability to this is great for sure, you could easily have one of these and want many more, its one of the better american macros to me for sure, full flavor is here for the style of what it is, it is better than many of the other macros in my view, very tasty crisp and refreshing, and you have to also admire the quality considering how incredibly low the cost is where you could get 30 beers for only 13 bucks, pretty incredible considering some macros are 7 or more bucks and not even better at all, good for what they are they are a one i would visit occasionally especially if i was trying to stay on a budget,

4.08/5  rDev +52.2%

12oz bottle -> american pint
no date, but there is laser printed code

Pours a clear straw yellow with a generous head that leaves behind thin patches of pale white lace. The head surprisingly has some staying power and laces better than any macro i've come across. Carbonation is robust, truely champagne like.

Nose: Pale malt, a little sour yeast.

Taste: Slight toasted grain corn like flavor, that finishes relatively clean with a tad of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium to slightly watery but with a quick crisp finish.

The most drinkable american macro imo. Used to down these like water at the bowling alley in my personal prohibition time. Cheap and available everywhere. A 4.5 for taste compared to beers of this style not compared to your favorite big beer.

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

Not a bad beer for one of the cheapest ones on the market. Pours bright yellow with brown hue. Smells decent of hops. Taste is very good for a cheap beer. Mouthfeel is nothing special, just alot of carbonation like all the other macros. Drinkable brew and I would like it if I were outside working. My dad had me drinking this stuff when I was a baby, so it holds a special place in my heart still.

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

Drinking as i type this.

12 oz can onto Atlas Mason jar.

A: Golden with a nice four finger head. As head dissipates there is nice lacing up and down the glass. Head retention is not to bad for this type of beer as well.

S: I usually can smell only can but this must be a fresh batch. I get an odor of moldering apples, fresh grains, light malt, and tiniest ghost of a hop. The quintessential smell of beer.

T: Sometimes its too sweet for me, but its not too bad today. Tastes like childhood. Tastes like it smells with a metallic aftertaste, its a bit much out of the can, but I get the same effect from the bottle.

D: I could drink this beer all the day through. This beer keeps getting better until its too late, but I guess this is true with all alcohol and the hedonists that consume it. This was my Dad's beer of choice and the beer he weened me on. I always think of him when I have one, so to me this beer is fucking one of the best.

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

This review is of the regular strength version (not the Oklahoma 3-point version), out of 40 oz. bottle I bought from a convenience store in Harlem, NY near the hostel I'm staying at tonight.

Miller High Life was the first beer I ever drank but I haven't had it in 10 years so I thought it was time to give it another try. Of course this isn't 3 point so it isn't a fair comparison, but I'm enjoying this far more than I expected to.

Bright gold color (I'm drinking out of the bottle though as most macros to me don't improve when poured into a glass). The aroma is kinda grainy with some funky macro notes.

The taste is... better than I expected and frankly better than most macros out there. The dominant charecteristic is the grain. Not much bitterness or hop flavor but there is a slightly funky aftertaste (but not as bad as in some macros)

Lots of carbonation which works well.

If you're low on cash (as I am tonight) and want a half-way drinkable beer, this is a good choice. Definitely drink it cold.

(My scores for this beer are judging it compared to it's style, which got it a .5 bump. If compared to most microbrews, I would not judge this beer so high.)

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

1.44/5  rDev -46.3%

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

The cheap alternative is my nick name for this beer. It definitely drinks easy and taste is non existent but when you want beer and you only have $4 or so. Here is your product. Are you having a party and plan on being bored, here you go. They do support the troops though and make good commercials but a beer should be more than that. How did they make this stuff, but then also make a master piece with MGD.

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.