Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,361 | Reviews: 1,139
3.98/5  rDev +48.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I can't say that this is my favorite in the AAL category, but I still like it because I just like beer in general. My favorite aspect of High Life is I can often pick it up for $13.00 or so for a 30 pack.

Now before I hear the usual poo poo's of "you get what you pay for," I just don't believe most people could really tell the difference between most AAL's if given a blind taste test. I've done it many times with friends, and only two people out of dozens were truly able to ID their "favorite" AAL. Face it, most AAL's just aren't that much different. They are just good, inexpensive beverages that we enjoy!

With that in mind, I can't see paying $20.00 for a 18 pack of Budweiser (highly overrated) when I can pay $13.00 for a 30 pack of this.

Its just a decent, inexpensive beer. Take it for that.

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 24 oz can at my local gas station because...well, why not? Best by date on the bottom states it's optimal for another month. Poured right from the fridge into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

L: Crystal-clear and golden straw-colored with about an inch of white head that fell quickly but to a nice film leaving more lacing than I was expecting. Profuse visible carbonation.

S: Cracker malt notes with that characteristic corny aroma. Some subdued skunk. A little bit of something metallic coming through, as well.

T: Soda cracker malts at the front end, with a bit of a dry white wine sensation. The middle reveals some of those adjunct flavors--corn and rice are discernible along with the earlier malt flavors. The back end provides a brief identification with cider, which isn't unpleasant alongside the other flavors. What is more unpleasant are the subtle metallic notes that accompany the close, which is otherwise crisp and fleetingly tart from what must be some hop presence.

F: Light-bodied and substantially carbonated. This one goes down smoothly and ends cleanly. Again, this one feels a lot like a cider on the palate.

O: Well, no one expects much of High Life, other than it should deliver what High Life has always delivered: an easy-drinking beer that's not too hard on the taste buds and costs relatively little. With such meager expectations in mind--and perhaps bucking the general sentiment toward American adjunct lagers on this website--I have to say that this is not a bad beer. If bars I visit don't happen to have good craft selections and/or lines I know have been cleaned within the last five years, I'll often go to this one. It could be attributed to sentiment or homerism, but I genuinely believe this brew tastes pretty decent. Certainly not great, but more than passable.

1.79/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

It's miller. Don't expect much.

2.47/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not bad for a cheap AAL. It might not be as decent as I think it is, but it's quite nostalgic for me. This is one of the first beers I can remember relatives drinking at family gatherings. I thought those clear bottles were so cool. Why? I don't know.

2.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

when i was a kid, maybe my first or second summer drinking beer and living away from my folks sometime during high school, my friends and i saw twelve packs of bottles of high life on a pallet display for 4.99 apiece. we thought, what a heck of a price, and we polled up all our spending money and bought the whole darn thing. i think it was gone in a couple of weeks with our crew of dudes, and i had officially had my fill of this beer long before legal drinking age. it was never a bad beer, but in that kind of volume, it really destroyed its welcome pretty quickly. i occasionally revisit it now, at weddings and such, and when i do, i appreciate the memories a lot more than the beer (fuzzy as they are). its tangy and metallic in an unflattering way, but with that said, thats sort of its signature thing, and i could pick this out from a crowd of one hundred other american adjunct lagers. its refreshing when really cold, poundable to a truly sickening level, and is always cheap. maybe not as cheap as it used to be, but still downright inexpensive. just light its lighter brother, i prefer it much better from the can than the clear bottle, something about it is very different. overall nothing special, but its an important part of american history and my personal history, so it has a place in my heart, just not very often in my fridge.

2.11/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Having to justify my rating with a review is highly annoying.

3.26/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

As far as cheap beer goes, not bad.

1.69/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The "Champagne of Beers" is highly carbonated and tastes awful coming out of a can. Only way I can drink this is from the bottle. Used to get 40 oz. of these in college all the time. There's worse out there believe me.

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Like the look. Used to drink a lot of this beer back in the day. Had a chance to drink again this past weekend and remembered. That this in not a bad option. Not saying this is the best beer in the world but it's not awful either

3.15/5  rDev +17.5%

Old trusty! I can honestly say I am never ashamed to pick up a High Life and chug it down. It is watered down, mild, but still has that classic taste I remember. It is a beer you can have 12 of at a party and just finally start to catch a buzz!

1.64/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I agree that the label is the only thing that saves this beer

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Beer - water. Nice Retro label, though.

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This was probably the worst beer I've ever had.

3.41/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Good summer beer, I don't know why I like it so much. I love lagers.

1.63/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Just horrible every time I've tried it, and I have nothing against the big brewers.

3.44/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Highly carbonated, but really, not that bad of a typical American adjunct. Good for hot wings and football.

1.83/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Miller is not the worst beer I have ever drank. However, it is very close. It has a big popularity because of the cost. Have heard it called fermented piss, while i don't agree I still don't enjoy Miller.

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with good head. Cereal grain aroma, not much hop in the nose. Taste is good, good blend of hop and grain, not overly sweet. Good texture. Not a bad beer

3.24/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

When it comes to domestic macro-lagers. This is my standard.

1.53/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Miller high life: the champagne of piss water.

i love miller high life no matter how many other beers i drink high life has remained my go to no bullshit after work beer some people think price makes a beer better well from what i see the lighter the calories in the beer ,the lower the alcohol content the more fuckin money they want for it and the more i have to drink to get a buzz high life you drink two or three and the party is started

1.78/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is some truly terrible shit. I am a Miller Lite apologist but I can't really defend this sweet awful cidery mess.

Will turn your stomach if you have any kind of food in it at all. Intensely carbonated. My least favorite out of all bargain light beers.

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

You must be high to rate this beer high

2.96/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From a bottle
This lager is not too sweet, as some critics say it is, the corn sweetness is not too bad and it's well balanced with the rest of the ingredients. Forget about the stupid beer logo and slogan "the champaign of beer" I wish MBC would get rid of that slogan already. This is just a good tasting AAL and very low priced.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.