Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 3,424
2.99/5  rDev +6.4%

This is the only AAL that I can say I enjoy. While there is nothing special about it, there is also nothing offensive. For me, the mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy, which is what makes this one for me. It's also cheaper than its bud, coors, miller counterparts.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Miller High is brewed by Miller Brewing Co. with an ABV of 4.60% . The Champagne of Beers, been around since 1903. Pours out a nice Amber Color, with a nice white head. The Smell is that of an american style beer. The taste is nothing special but it ok. You pick up grains , malts, and a hit of hops. Nothing bad, but nothing good. Miller High Life has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. Overall, I give this brew a 3.25 out 5. Not the best , but not the worst. I may get this brew to switch it up from the Budweiser products every once in awhile.

2.52/5  rDev -10.3%

Overall it's a good choice if you're picking between cheap American lagers. Serve it chilled and the "drinkability" will be high. You and a couple friends can kick pack a twelve pack easily.

Don't think too much about it. Not very complex but definitely sweeter honey feel than other American lagers. My go to for cheap American lagers.

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can that somehow managed to find its way into my fridge after a party into a Deep Ellum Pint glass. This is my first BMC since turning 21.

Appearance: Translucent, pale honey. A persistent one finger head that leaves a lot of lacing after it disappears relatively quickly. Looks like most good lagers do.

Smell: Sweet, banana lager yeast. Not particularly pungent, but inoffensive enough.

Taste: This is really sweet, in a corn type of way. Lager flavor comes through on the end. Watery, but that's to be expected with a BMC.

Mouthfeel: Really high, prickly carbonation. Thin, watery body.

Overall: That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can see why High Life is considered one of the better ones. I'll need to find some Schlitz Gusto soon, though.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Yesterday, while purchasing another brew @ an establishment I use frequently for such purposes, I strolled by a cooler that had gold, white and green colored 32 ounce cans of it, just sitting there, staring out through the cold plate glass. I walked by and bought something else (another story another time) but had a weird dream last night about that 32 oz can of Miller's High Life, beckoning.
So, I went back, bought 2 of them there cans and here I am, describing it.
Well, it's one of the brews I sometimes spoon out the foam from the top of the glass I poured it into. Like the soapiness head isn't really beer flavored but serving only as a real thick filtering layer before liquid escapes.
But in all actuality, I like the taste of Miller High Life. I do, and I apologize not for finding my taste receptors enjoy a Miller every now and again and even twist a grinder of chunky sea salt on a hot summer day or on a frozen winter one, too, enhancing this old American standard beer, much like a mustard smeared pretzel and good talk among long friends does.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%

Had the "Champagne" of beer in a can at the American Tap Room in Richmond Va.

What can you really say about this beer that hasn't been said before?

It is very carbonated, but in my opinion smooth, and very drinkable. This is one of those beers that is not complex, not very something that will make you a craft beer lover, or anything like that. This is a beer to drink on a hot day when you want a beer but nothing heavy, or to simply get a good buzz on for a decent price.

Good tailgater, good summer time beer, worth a shot but as usual with anything other than craft beers, Beer snobs should avoid.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Good Ol High Life. Poured into a traditional tavern glass. It pours a normal everyday pale straw, gold. Just like most big American lager breweries. The smell, sweet, not overpowering, closing time at the bar, beer spilled on the counter, and floor smell. Sounds great huh? Just smells like, well...beer.

Taste, ahh, this is my Miller Park beer during the games. High Life has always had a distinct taste for me. Medium carbonation, sweet, grassy, slightly metallic on this tasting. I dont know, its just a good, easy drinking , working mans brew. Its got the corn, adjunct taste, enough malt to keep things tasty. Good by itself, or with pizza, and BBQ.

I still cant find Schlitz, or Blatz wherever I might stop in, but almost everyplace carries High Life. This was $9.99 for a 18pk of bottles, not bad. I know clear bottles get a bad wrap, but I like the High Life bottle shape, and looking at this decent American beer.

3.68/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typical American adjunct lager smell if that is what your type of beer, very soapy head on it. The mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation but very smooth. Its actually not the corn/veggie aftertaste that miller usually puts out. Im actually surprised. For what it is, A.A.L i could get youst to buying this and drinking it on a daily basis. Plus the price is about 17.99 USD for a 30 pack.

2.93/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

One of my favorite cheap, poor mans beer. When im low on cash and need some beer i always come back to high life. A 12 pack of bottles for $8.50 is a bargain! When i first turned drinking age this was my choice beer and thought it was great. I mean its still decent.... once ive had about 3-4 beers... Decent economy beer.

2.53/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This stuff tastes better in the bottle as do most beer or poured into a glass for best taste.

fact is that you mostly get the 32 oz in the can at most places and for some reason i get this crap every now and then and lets just say it is not total crap because its not so bad but the truth is

it has this weird taste to it and you don't really get much of a kick from it would rather spend the same money on some steel reserve if it is around in the local area.

its just that you got to get one you can depending on where you are at

if you are gonna buy this stuff may as well get some steel reserve, or hurricane or whatever, but whatever you do please do not buy that earthquake crap that is disgusting even for heavy drinkers for real no joke

3.01/5  rDev +7.1%

My first review! (that's why I picked an easy one)

Drank straight out of the can.

A- It's got that golden color.

S - It has that "Mass Produced" smell that you get with adjuncts. It's not overly horrible, but not something I would go out of my way for.

T- Hits you at first with a little bite, but goes away quickly the more I drink it.

M- Very thin, almost like water. Carbonation hits pretty hard as well.

O- This is my go to 'cheap' beer. Overall it's not THAT bad of a product. It does exactly what I want it to at the right price. It gets easier to drink after one or two, but there's a good reason for that. If I'm having several different beers or going out, I have to remember to use a palate cleanser after this one, as it diminishes the taste of everything after it.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"The Champagne of Beer". I like this beer as long as I'm not taking time to review it. I don't recommend savoring the flavors in your mouth, they turn bad pretty fast.

Appearance - Straw, pale golden in color. More pale than other "golden" beers. Light head that disappears.

Smell - Pretty gross at first, smells a bit like men's restroom/urinals and mild skunk but the skunk is a pleasant sweet skunk. Dirt. Corn. Plastic. Overall a poor smell.

Taste - If you're leaving it on your palate for a few seconds (which I don't recommend), you'll taste bitter and sour carbonation mixed with dark cereal grains. After the first 3 seconds it dissolves to a rough - but light - carbonated cough syrup finish. I'll say it again, don't drink it like this. The cough syrup adjective is more attributed to the medicinal numb burning on your tongue as it dissolves and you swallow. This is met with hints of fruit at the tail end of the finish. A good way to drink this beer successfully is to not take your time swishing it around in your mouth like I'm doing now. There's nothing here worth savoring. It has a great drinkability if you go straight from the bottle to your throat, minimizing the time it's on your tongue. If you do this, the beer is actually quite good. Light and carbonated, the flavors leave quickly. This is not something to sip like hot chocolate...this is something to pound down at a tailgate or swig with your meal. Taste is fresh, crisp like an apple, and lightly fruity when swigged.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated yet flat at the same time. Can't get rid of that cough syrup. Leaves with a moderately fresh finish yet not too crisp. Again, swig it, don't swish. Airy, pleasantly carbonated when swigged.

Overall - I buy these from time to time for $12/18 pack. At this price it's the best value in cheap beer. My other light choice, Michelob Golden Light, has a much better taste, mouthfeel, smell...everything - but often times it's not as cheap as High Life. High Life is better than a lot of its competitors, it manages to sustain some level of sophistication in its taste and mouthfeel that a lot of other cheap AAL's do not possess.

There's definitely better beer out there, but there's most certainly worse. High Life is not a beer you should be ashamed to serve your buddies or drink on the couch at home. It's a great cheap alternative to other beers in its price range and knocks some of them straigh out of the park. Just don't expect a fantastic dissolution in your mouth, you will be disappointed and probably grossed out.

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

Miller High Life, the champagne of beers as it were, gets a bad rap. Years of terrible marketing and appearances in the shadiest of bodegas (corner stores and Delis for the non-New Yorker) Have given it the status of a Old English or a Coor's Banquet. The beer is more than it appears, inside that glass bottle with the girl on the moon is a malted beverage that is dare I say: out of this world...

A- A deep goldenrod with the clarity of the finest topaz of Egypt. Thick but structurally flimsy egg shell head
S- Fresh cut wheat with a copper undertone, when properly decanted one can detect a fine hint of chilled concrete.
T- Bready with a undertone of frosted flakes, rightfully so as this is a part of a balanced breakfast.
M- "High"-ly Carbonated, much like the 16th Century Benedictine monks who honed it's namesake. Tiny bubbles make the beer refreshing and highly sessionable.

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a golden color with some head, which disappears very quickly. Head leaves some lacing. Smell is almost entirely absent. Taste is pretty crisp but empty. Carbonation is not overpowering but provides more to the taste than the malt and hops. Thin mouthfeel is mildly bubbly. Somewhat bitter and rotten after taste.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Miller High Life has always been one of my favorite "Macro Brews",a very high drinkability Factor~Super Smooth,easy Drinking,Classic American Lager Beer,and priced right too [ 9 bucks for an 18 pack ] ..which makes it a GR8 choice for Get togethers,Parties,BBQ's and such.
Miller High Life is a Very Decent American Macro Lager,and IMHO one of the Best Overall in terms of Taste,Drinkability,Smoothness,and Price,Good Stuff Man!
Cheers and Peace2All;)

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

40oz bottle poured into a pint glass.Date on the bottle says Jan 06 2014

A: Transparent golden straw with a frothy head that leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Smells mostly like corn.

T: I can really only taste corn and a little bit of malt

M: This beer has great mouthfeel and goes down super easy.

O: I like MHL I wouldn't call it the champagne of beers but for an AAL I find it enjoyable. Plus I like that its available in 40oz

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I can't believe I never rated this. Alright, this is the low brow class of beers, but I tend to make this my 'go-to' water beer. However I do enjoy the maltiness and carbonation of this beer. There is a consistency for this beer that makes me think it is very good value for the money. Now am I a sucker for the marketing and schtick of the 'champagne' ads? Oh hell yeah. I like it a lot, but also think this is a good beer, that shouldn't be the ugly sister of their Bud Lite and Coors Lite competition.

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

Miller High Life is a classic American Lager that has been around for a long time. It's more of a working-class beer, but it can compete with other American Lagers.

Appearance - pours dramatically into the glass with a thick white head. When opening the bottle, the head fizzes right to the top. Very appealing to the eye while in the glass with the infamous head.

Smell - Corn, grain, and maybe a slight bit of hops, but it's overruled by corn. Not the greatest smelling American lager.

Taste - The taste is predominately corny with a slight floral hop accent in the background. It's not my favorite by any means, but it is definitely good and drinkable; especially for the $.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is one of the best parts about High Life. It is nice and fizzy and has a great smooth yet bubbly mouthfeel, one that can't be compared to many others.

Overall - High Life gets a 3 for okay. It's not my favorite American Lager, but I can definitely drink the hell out of it. The taste isn't my favorite, but the appearance and mouth on it kind of even it out for me. This is a working class beer for working class Americans and it is a damn decent product.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Never had this beer before,a friend of mine said it wasnt that bad and since it was one of only a few beers i havent had i said what the hell.I wont give this beer a true full review,for one it just doesnt have enough substance to need it and two it just doesnt deserve it.Its not the worst beer i have ever had that award goes to another miller product icehouse,but not the best american lager by a long shot either.

this is only good for those times when your on a beer budget and anything will do and even then their are better options out their.I drank this straight from the bottle i would not insult my glassware with it.I guess in the end beer is like sex even when its bad its still pretty good.now thats living the high life.

2.98/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

this beer is pretty decent for a cheap beer. I don't know if it is the champagne of beers but it's not terrible. It is a very clear light yellow color and very fizzy. It does smell a little sweaty. It also tastes a little sweaty but it is not the bad type you usually associate with that description.

2.92/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked up a six pack of the "Harley Davidson" edition of tallboys for $4.99 at Super Stop n Shop. Bottom of the can reads "Oct1413" which indicates the best buy date. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. Consumed on 8/11/13. I never actually had this until last month at a party right out of the bottle and I liked it a bit, so I decided to buy some.

A- Pours a nice pale golden color with a thick white head, lots of lacing on the glass.

S- Interesting floral, hoppy smell mixed in with corn.

T- Bready, sweet corn, grains, faint malt, mild hops and some bitterness. Slight metallic twang sneaks in a bit. Relatively bland overall though.

M- Very carbonated, smooth and thin .

O- Not a bad beer for what it is. I'll be drinking this time and time again as a "filler" beer I guess.

4.32/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a good example of an AAL. Not perfect, but a good example of the style. I use, and typically use, AALs when boiling brats or insertion into the business end of a whole chicken (for grilling).

A: Golden.
S: Corn
T: Corn.
M: Light and effervescent, with slight astringency in finish.

3.34/5  rDev +18.9%

Inch tall white head, dark straw color. Good head retention and lacing.

Smells of adjuncts, rice/corn.

More corniness. Slightly off putting taste at the end of the sip, I can manage though.

I really enjoy the creamy mouthfeel. Medium-high carbonation.

For the style, the appearance and mouthfeel do not get much better in my opinion. This is a top of the bottom of the barrel beer for me.

3.04/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours crystal clear yellow that’s closer to water in color with a nice 2 finger foamy snow white head that faded slowly and left surprisingly good lacing with rings as it went down.

Smells of grains, cornmeal, vegetables, light caramel, a little sweetness and a faint whiff of hops. Pretty earthy nose, typical of an American lager.

Tastes sweet overall, with malt, grains, corn/cornmeal, vegetables, caramel, light brown sugar and faint floral hops. It is what it is, a basic tasting mass produced beer that goes down easy as there’s just enough real beer ingredients mixed in with the corn filler.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with light carbonation, a light body, and a grainy and almost bready sweet finish that ligers with some metallic aftertaste notes. Overall quite average in every way. "The Champagne of Beers"…right on!

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

355 ml can served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pale golden straw color. Close to two fingers of foamy white head was poured and had unexpectedly good retention time leaving at least a half finger of head around for a few minutes. A few bubbles rise to the top and the beer is crystal clear.

Smell - Slightly metallic, some cereal grains and general "beer" aroma. Nothing great here, but nothing off putting either.

Taste - Some adjunct sweetness, corn-like. Otherwise not a whole lot else, with a touch of underlying hops finish. Not great overall, but for the style, definitely one of the better ones.

Mouthfeel - That underlying hops finish mentioned in the taste, coalesces into a slightly dry finish. Otherwise body is medium, carbonation is medium-high (despite appearance).

Overall - On it's own, not a great beer, but as for mass produced adjuncts, this one is actually quite enjoyable and would quaff without hesitation if nothing better was offered.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.