Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,464
3.36/5  rDev +19.6%

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this beer yet. This is my cheap shit beer to drink when I either have NO money or don't feel like thinking when I'm drinking (if that makes sense). Pours a golden color with a medium sized white head, bubbles racing to the top. The flavor is slightly bready and really grainy. Definitely some adjuncts here but thats ok. Cheap ingredients but this is actually quite smooth and crisp. Not too sweet either, slight bitterness even. Plus it is so cheap. Live the high life.

2.26/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

It pours a pale straw yellow, crisp looking and crystal clear. A bright white head evolves quickly to a couple fingers, then settles out promptly. There's a little bonus lacing as it drains.

The aroma is weak and thin, so vague that it's difficult to nail any one element down. The best I can do is call it vegetal, and pretty much standard macro fare smell-wise.

The flavor stands out a bit more, with a sweet grainy character bearing a veritable note of corn. There is a light grassiness along with a blunt metallic tang, likely the effects of whatever hops are here. The finish is a mellow dry bitterness. Overall, it's not world-class, but it's not unpleasant either.

Very light bodied, it has just enough consistency to carry the flavor in, then let it drain away.

So it won't help you, and it won't hurt you. And for a macro, that's not a bad deal. I'm not going to justify the average taste or the non-existent specific smell, but I'll tell you that this beer is drinkable because it's not heavy, it's crisp and refreshing, and goes down smooth. With nothing to overtly offend, I'm not at all upset that this is all my neighbor had in his fridge. Of course, it's now my turn to open his eyes to what's in mine...

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

this stuff is so cheap, how can you not snatch it up every now and then? it glugs out golden and fizzy with a wack excuse for a head. smells corny, a bit sweet, but it dosnt put one off. pleasant in the mouth, lightly sweet, pretty clean, some corn. it has that cheap american lager taste, but it does it alot better than most cheap american lager. crisp in the mouth, quenching and goes great with junk food. i keep it handy.

$3.99 for a six pack huzza!

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%

While at the liqour store, I saw that this beer was the same price as a six back of Nasty Light and Beast. Not wanting to drink those, I decided to try this brew.

Pours a nice gold color. Flavor is clean with and very smooth. This is deffinatly a "session beer" and one of the best out there for the price.

I would deffiantly buy this again.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

Served in the clear 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is golden, with a short, foamy white head. The smell is a very sweet golden malt. The taste is decently sweet, with a bit of bitterness at the end; there's a slight astringent offness, but not nearly as bad as other macros. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, in its class, it's not bad.

Quite a decent lawnmower beer. Though not something I'd look for at a beer bar, in its price range it's certainly something I'd drink if I were drinking a macro.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours the standard clear yellow that we always see in American macros, it is darker than Budweiser.

Smell is mild grain and a bit of hops

Tastes are mildly sweet with crackers being the main taste. No off flavors present, tastes mostly of sweetness and grain.

Mouthfeel is actually present.

It is drinkable, but really this isn't a German Hefe-Weisse!

1.98/5  rDev -29.5%

yellow beer with a good head. Smells of grass and hay. Tastes the same with a dry finish. Thin mouthfeel evident of the adjuncts. I suppose it is ok to chug a few back after some yardwork or building a deck, but nothing to sit back and enjoy for the taste.

2.54/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Pour produces a huge, rocky, pure white head that lasts for quite a while. Honest to God lacing that clings to the glass. Color a typical pale straw, crystal clear. Better than it has to be.

Smell: Wow, this is tough. Er... A bit... sweet, maybe? A tad floral, perhaps? Honestly, just not much there.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy--no surprise there. The taste starts slightly sweet, but quickly becomes a bit grainy, a bit metallic, and finishes a bit bitter. Very little aftertaste. Very little taste, period. Not a bad thing, though; none of the weird/mungy flavors and aftertastes you run across in a lot of macros, very clean.

Drinkability: It's perfectly harmless, neither awful nor exceptional. When you want beer as a beverage rather than an experience, this will do fine. At $12/case, I can't complain.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

I guess you can say an American classic. An ok beer that does get slammed but hey it does have its place and besides many old timers drank this back in the day and I have to respect that.

This is a beer that I won't turn down but at the same time won't go out of my way to buy either...but when served nice and cold on a hot summer's day...mmmm nice.

So that's it ...basic ok beer and sometimes that's all you need.

2.28/5  rDev -18.9%

Well this was given to me for free at the liquor store.
Poured a very pale yellow, highly carbonated, apart from it's two finger large bubbled white head, this actually does look like champagne. Laced in partial rings, head remained as a film. I guess the marketing isn't lying there, but of course why should a beer look like champagne?
Malty, cereal aroma, like when you first open a box of rice crispies, a touch of lemon.
Lightly malted taste, a little bitter.
Light feel (that word came to mind a lot when drinking).
It's not horrible, nothing would stand it the way if you wanted to drink a lot, on the other hand there is nothing there that would make you want to drink a lot.

2.55/5  rDev -9.3%

Presented in a clear bottle with nice "Champagne of Beer" labeling. Clear yellow with a fizzy, foamy head. Not much aroma, a hint of malt and adjunct. Taste is more of the same - crisp, clean, generic macro beer. Not bad - in fact, it went perfectly with the chili I made today. Still, though, this is not exactly a high-quality brew.

1.28/5  rDev -54.4%

I used to drink this stuff all the time, so I decided to revisit it. At $10.49 a case of bottles, it is extremely cheap. Crystal clear golden color, with a short lived white head. Smells of corn and malt. Tastes extremely sweet, and gainy, not very good at all. Not a beer to buy.

1.71/5  rDev -39.1%

High Life it pours a pale yellow, looks like straw with a tiny head and lots of carbonation. It looks kind of like sprite with yellow food coloring. The taste is very bland and carbonated, just not impressive at all. The champagne of beers as right as far as carbonation goes, but not as far as taste. A real dissapointment.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Another in the string of macros I decided to reacquaint myself with while waiting to make the first of my beer-shopping runs in Indy. Poured from the standard 12oz. clear bottle, this brew had a clear golden color and a bubbly white head. The smell was mainly of pale malt and some very mild citrus aroma.
The taste was sort of bland, mainly grainy malt, a bit of straw, and a light, oh-so-faint bitterness in the finish. Still, this beer has a certain light, refreshing quality to it that makes it pretty easy to drink, especially if you don’t let it get anywhere close to room temperature. While I can think of a huge number of other beers I’d rather drink, if I’m going to drink a mass-produced American lager, I’d take this over a Bud or Coors any day.

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: "The Champagne of Beers" pours a clear gold with a thick, frothy white head.

Aroma: Corn on the nose, with little or no hops apparent. Slighty skunky.

Taste: Almost not flavor. Some grainy notes, but not much of anything.

Mouthfeel: Quite light and slightly sweet. No excessive carbonation, which is good.

Drinkability: If you need a decent tasting beer to get a good buzz, by this in the convenient 32 oz. can; otherwise, approach with caution.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer actually tastes pretty damn good (for the price). It pours a nice golden colour with a fluffy white head and the aromas are of tea, faint hops, citrus, and background malt. The taste is lightly hoppy, refreshing, malty and tangy. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing as hell and the drinkability is excellent as well. I really hate macro beers and I very rarely drink them...but if you are strapped for cash, or just want a good old-fashioned brew...than the high life is for you!

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

Miller High Life. Its the perfect beer for a hot summer day. As long as the temperature difference between the air and beer is >40 F I can slug this stuff down without batting an eye. But as soon as the air temp drops below 75 its hard to drink. Yes its a cheap mass produced beer but its the cheapest beer I can buy in a bottle ($5.67/ 12 pack).

I drink more of it than anything else. I would go broke if I tried to drink nothing but Belgians year round.

3.17/5  rDev +12.8%

Miller High Life. What can you say? It is pretty cheap (perfect for a college student such as myself) and it goes down easy, although not too easy like some beers that are reminiscent of water.

The beer itself is quite carbonated and has a respectable head that retains throughout the whole beer. Its taste is a hair above average, but High Life's strongest suit is it's consistency. From the second it hits your lips to the moment it ends its journey in your belly, you are never unpleased. It is consistently good. Not consistently great, just good.

Appearances usually hold no clout in the realm of beer critiquing. This just isn't holding true in H.L.'s case. The beer has such a cool aura to it. The sleek bottle design, the 1920's looking lady sitting on the moon, the color scheme....it's just a perfect design. Too bad we're not rating the design on the bottle...the apperance of the beer itself is totally average. gold yellow with lots of champagne like head.

I'd like to add on alil side note: Wow. What a difference drinking from a can and a bottle makes. High Life gives the biggest quality drop in the transition from bottles to cans of any other beer. High Life from a can tastes like cheap swill. On the other hand, Miller High Life from a bottle tastes like a damn fine beer. My review only pertains to High Life from bottles. Cans are a different story... completely different.

3.07/5  rDev +9.3%

The way I see it, Miller High Life has several things going for it. First of all, there's the commercials. Easily the best commercial series I've ever seen, these spots depicted the "High Life man" as a conservative suburbanite, transplanted from the 1960's into a day where pansies and nancy-boys occupy the neighborhood. Normally I wouldn't judge a beer based on it's commercial appeal, but this is Miller... who gives a shit.

Then there's the price. $10/30 pack for a beer that dances circles around Keystone and Busch.

Finally, there's the taste, which supercedes that of the vast majority of mass-produced beers out there. Add to this a lager-swilling chick sitting atop the crescent moon and voila, you're living the high life.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I am re-rating this one. This is vastly improved over what I remember. Bright yellow in color, with an aroma of cooked veggies. The taste, however, is surprsingly creamy with a very light, sweet taste. I have never really cared for this beer, but after re-sampling several after a year or so's time, I find it to be a decent, cheap beverage. Much better than MGD or Lite. I remember when this was Miller's premium beer up there competing with Budweiser.

1.81/5  rDev -35.6%

Champagne of Beers? Honestly, if I saw bubbles this big in my wine, I'd consider tossing it in the drain. Must be that Korbel shite that's always on sale 2 for 1. Picked this up for a buck and a half for a quart at a gas station, which actually makes it cheaper than the Pepsi they also sold there. Had to give it a whirl. Kinda wish I'd gotten the Pepsi. I like the new vanilla stuff.

A nice golden color to it, which in my opinion isn't as close to urine as some of the other reviews say. Or maybe my diet's just different. Still, I slap it with a penalty for having big obnoxious bubbles in the ample head. We're using a wine standard, after all, and they cling to the glass oddly. Like they're made out of glue or something.

Smell is truely unique. Somewhere between puke and old sneakers. I really wish I hadn't sniffed this one.

At first I thought it was kinda malty, but then I realized it's just very sugary. Not used to that. Finishes with a weak, hoppy rush. The hops really want to come out here, but they're too few, and too unpleasent. The sweetness overpowers what fuction they have in this brew.

Who ordered me the candy lager? There's worse tasting beers out there, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'll return to this one. If beer could be sold to grade schoolers, they'd drink this. This one's made me wonder if it's actually made by brewing candy corn...

*update, 10 minutes after initial review*

I can't finish a quart of this filth. Down the drain it goes!

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance – Light yellow body with a smallish head that gave me the bob.

Smell – The typical grain aroma is complimented by a tinge of sweetness here, although I can’t make it out (essence of gummi bears, no doubt).

Taste – More on the sweet side then most macros. There also may be a hint of malt in there, but it’s hard to tell.

Mouthfeel – Decent mouthfeel and smooth on the cheeks. It’s actually kind of foamy in the mouth, which is strange because I didn’t get much head on the pour. User error maybe?

Drinkability – This is the High Life’s strong suit, IMHO. The sweetness helps this one go down well.

Comments – I was ruing the day when I had to face this beer again, because I sucked these down as a kid like they were the best things in the world. Now, after educating my pallet over the years, I have some perspective on it.

It really is the champagne of beers. The foamy mouthfeel is like a cheap bottle of Korbel stirred with a straw just before drinking. It’s also light and sweet, like many types of champagne.

It’s not so bad – and it brings back some great memories. Here’s to you!

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Miller High Life.. Where to begin. The High Life has been my lawnmower, hot weather, lack of funds, fall back beer since i was able to drink. It pours a pale straw yellow with a rather nice head which does actually stick around for a bit. The smell isnt much, some grain and a little sence of hoppiness. The flavour is crisp, perhaps a little too carbonated. I sometimes pour the glass and let it set for a moment so I dont turn into a belch factory. There is a sweetness to the beer at first , but then what hops there are team up and help give the beer a nice crisp clean finish. Over all I will choose the High Life over any Macro brew. Not only do i find it a refreshing nice everyday session beer, but it also brings back many memories. Good times... Good times...

3.01/5  rDev +7.1%

Light golden color. Medium head. Citrus aroma. Crisp and lightly roasted malt flavor. Rustic hop flavor, with limited to no aftertaste. Good balance of malt and hop flavor. Might be all in my mind, but canned version seems to be lacking the citrus flavor which is prevalent in the bottled version. All in all, an excellent beer for the money. At $ 9.99 – $11.99 for a 30-can case, you would be hard pressed to find a better beer per can value. But for enjoyment, I would stick with the bottled version.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.