Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
dhannes

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%

A=Greenish yellow, not at all appetizing,

S=Faint hint of hops.

T=Not nearly as good as I remembered it to be...watery with a little carbonation.

M=Not too heavy, not too light.

D=An okay amount of flavor; a bit watery for a lager...can't believe this was Miller's flagship brand for all these years...I think they changed the recipe after repositioning it as a value brew.

11-25-2010 22:37:35 | More by dhannes
GeoJ

1.05/5  rDev -60.7%

Nothing I can add to the numerous bad (and spot on) reviews, other than to say this swill is instant "headache in a bottle".

Seriously. Took 3 sips and I could feel the hangover just waiting to pounce.

I used to enjoy this years ago when I was a kid looking to get a buzz on. Lord knows how ...

Simply awful.

11-25-2010 01:11:05 | More by GeoJ
rjplumer

Rhode Island

3.08/5  rDev +15.4%

I've found this to be a very drinkable macro pale lager. Nothing really special going on here. What you see is what you get. Nothing really bad about it but nothing great though. Leaves little after taste. Has a slight corny taste. It is a pale yellow with a touch of orange. It is quite bubbly and pleasant on the tongue. I'd pick this one over most other pale lagers.

11-20-2010 23:48:59 | More by rjplumer
flagmantho

Washington

1.65/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 16oz pounder into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: very pale golden color with a ton of effervescence and a crystal-clear body. Head is two fingers of fizzy white foam. Not too terrible, but it is simply too darn pale.

Smell: sour grain, and that's about it. Now I know why I always drink straight from the can!

Taste: sourish wet-grain flavor. In the back of my head somewhere, I seemed to remember High Life being a halfway decent mega lager. This is pretty bad, though; it's sour and bitter (but not in a good way), and I'm having a hard time choking it down. At least it's not particularly strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: light body with a moderate fizziness which gives, actually, a somewhat decent mouthfeel. Still, not great.

Drinkability: I've had tons of High Life in my day, and I do not remember it ever being this bad. I guess that's why we go back and review these things, though, right? Now I know never to buy this again.

11-20-2010 21:16:13 | More by flagmantho
Tundruth

2.98/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Pours from the can a clear, light golden/straw yellow color with a white head that raises to two fingers high and falls quickly to leave behind a thin layer

S- Smells of corn, grains, rice mostly, pretty good for an American adjunct lager, though.

T- Taste is better than most American adjuncts and much better tasting to me than I remember Miller Lite tasting.

M- This beer is very pleasing to my palate, a little watery feeling but carbonation and viscosity seem right on point for a beer like the High Life.

D- This beer is highly drinkable in my opinion, I could drink these all night long, though only if it was the only thing available . It doesn't offer anything special to drinkers but if your looking for a good cheap beer this is one of the better choices right up there with PBR.

11-17-2010 01:06:36 | More by Tundruth
Sudsy89

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a golden color, has a nice four-finger white head, high level of carbonation. I actually find it a pretty beer, looks appealing to me. Aroma is mostly corn, has that "adjunct" smell to it. Taste is corny too, a bit sweet, basically no hops. Has a slight grainy/grassy aftertaste I find common in adjunct lagers. However it is still better than others, since I didn't notice any skunkiness or really unpleasant flavors to it. For what it is, High Life is a decent lager, nothing special but still highly drinkable. (I bought a six-pack for casual beer drinkers, ended up trying some for myself.) It's also quite cheap, and I would much rather buy this over a more expensive foreign beer that I like less (Corona, Heineken, Beck's, etc.)

11-16-2010 01:00:03 | More by Sudsy89
PapillonJohn

4.5/5  rDev +68.5%

Another one of my favorite beers. I love living the High Life.
Pretty cheap as well, about 17 a 30 case of cans. Definitely living the High Life.

Appearance: A tad bit misleading. Looks like piss the morning after drinking a whole hell of a lot the night before.

Smell: Smell directly from the can is very sweet with a hint of metal. Once poured out into a mug, the metallic smell completely disappears.

Taste: One of my favorites. Not only is it very refreshing on a hot day its also very refreshing on any day! Sweet and robust at the same time. Now dont let me convince you that I am saying it is very complex and intricate. It's definitely not. Just the best for its style IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy and perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: Could easily slam these down one after another with no problem.

I HIGHly recommend the High Life.

11-15-2010 08:02:15 | More by PapillonJohn
ElijahCSkuggs

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

The High Life is upon me! When I drink this beer I feel like I'm truly living the...High Life. Chant with me now! High Life! High Life High Life!

So, even though it looks like a nice mouth-watering glass full of piss, the head has stayed surprisingly fluffy and appealing. Gotta admit, that's some nice head.

The smell is of your average variety, hops, wet leaves, corn variety. Smells like marketable beer. I like fruit in my brew, and this only smells like yardwork.

Tastes like yardwork. Lawnmowing sounds so appealing at the moment. Crisp, dry...but slightly creamy in the ole maw. Yep.

Drinkability is nice. If you don't have a better choice, and you really feel like jamming to some Steve Winwood...I say this is a damn fine fucking choice.

"And we'll drink and dance with one hand free
And have the world so easily
And oh we'll be a sight to see
Back in the high life again"

11-13-2010 21:41:16 | More by ElijahCSkuggs
Danmc200

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

This is a malty/sweet one. Almost like creamed corn.
Tons of carbonation and even feels a little thick/syrupy.
Tastes mostly like sweet corn with a hint of lemon. The bitterness being overthrown by the sweetness in this one. No real off flavors though.
Prefer this to PBR simply because of mouthfeel, but thats not saying much.

11-09-2010 23:34:18 | More by Danmc200
callmeclemens

3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

What a terrible Color miller made this beer, though in reality, its much better than it looks. Usually i'm not going to say much in the favor of a BMC beer, however this isnt so bad. this beer tastes like slighy grains a very bland hint of hop and water. however all these flavors are much more dominant in MHL then they are in any of the other Macro Lagers that I can by a sixer for under 5 dollars.

11-06-2010 22:20:52 | More by callmeclemens
danielplainview

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +44.2%

It looks like a beer, smells like a beer, and tastes like a beer. No need to over analyze this one. Great stuff when its hot outside or when you want to drink a lot of cold beer without having to think very much. Not good with food other than dogs. Just my opinion though.

11-02-2010 02:33:24 | More by danielplainview
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.35/5  rDev +25.5%

A: Nice clear golden color with a surprisingly large head considering.
S: Very subtle aroma of corn and and grain. Not too sweet or overpowering.
T: Very clean flavor. The corn really gives it a nice sweetness and the husk adds an interesting dynamic.
D/M: Very crisp and tingly beer because of the carbonation. Very easy to drink, which makes this the perfect summer grilling beer. Refreshing and surprising flavor considering that this is something from a mass brewer.

10-31-2010 19:27:35 | More by pzrhsau
Strix

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Clear yellow.

Grainy smell, some corn.

Lots of corn in the flavor, grain, a sweet note. Free of any skunky notes. No real sign of any hops.

Mouthfeel crisp, when cold at least.

Sort of plain, but really better than I expected. Nothing particularly interesting about it, but nothing to truly hate -unless you don't like corn. Or you're looking for flavor.

10-31-2010 04:20:52 | More by Strix
samyoung

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

"Ah, the High Life..."

Remember those commercials where the guy is playing pool and making amazing corner pocket shots all the while drinking the High Life?

After picking up a 12-pack for $6.50 at Rite Aid on 14th street, I was ready to sink the 8 ball, corner pocket.

A - Pale yellow

10-28-2010 05:04:59 | More by samyoung
oregone

Oregon

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Hey, it's 100 degrees out and i've got a few bucks in my pocket. I know what I'm getting. It's refreshing in all ways and inoffensive. So there. And has one of the greatest logos around. Seeking distinct character? Look elsewhere. look here because it's the best example of what it is: AAL.

10-27-2010 19:02:04 | More by oregone
AdamBear

3.15/5  rDev +18%

A-pale gold, thick white head

S-smells like sweet barley, light, not impressive

T-this isn't completely terrible. Its an average hit of barley, but sweet barley. Decent matching after-taste. Very crisp.

M-medium to heavy carbonation, slightly dry finish

D-one of the most drinakble adjunct lagers i've had. i got this at 2 for 1s at applebees and i swallowed both mugs like it were water. it stays smooth and crisp

10-27-2010 04:01:29 | More by AdamBear
greenmonstah

2.42/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz bottle from a pack I bought for cooking brats.

A - Pours an ugly clear bright yellow with a short little head. Lacing is average

S - Skunky, sweet corn and a tiny touch of hop. Not a lot here.

T - Very very light malt and sweetcorn. A little bit bready, which is nice. Really it's just a carbonated corn water, and the only reason it scores a C is that the American Adjunct Lager is a shit style and this is slightly less shitty than most of them.

M - Body is thin as water. Average carbonation.

D - Very easy to down, which I suppose is the best quality of this beer. It's a fairly typical adjunct, but better than all the Lite crap.

10-22-2010 21:47:56 | More by greenmonstah
jdhilt

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pure white, three-finger head that fades slowly to a thin layer and leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Crystal clear pale straw color. Nose is ?? Flavor is sweet corn with faint hints of hops in background. Squeaky clean finish. Good lawn mower beer. Better than MGD. The champagne of beers, who are they kidding? $1.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

10-21-2010 20:58:27 | More by jdhilt
TheKingofWichita

2.05/5  rDev -23.2%

So I am not very enthusiastic about this beer. Much better than most adjuncts though.

Pours a pale straw color with a decent enough head and a little lacing. Smells of sweet corn and some florals. Tastes semi-sweet with a little hop bitterness playing with the palate. Mouthfeel is pretty thin and needs major work. Good carbonation. Poor drinkability.

10-11-2010 17:11:51 | More by TheKingofWichita
herman77

2.83/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very light yellow. With a thin bubbly head, lots of carbonation. It actually leaves some rings of bubbly lace.

S: Classic adjunct smell. Some sweet corn.

T: Sweet corn and grains. Its got some breadiness to it as well. Some hop twang near the end. Not bad at all for an adjunct. When I think of straight up old school generic beer, this is what I think it should taste like.

M: Thin as thin can be. Lots of fizzy carbonation. Its like mineral water.

D: Can't really say anything here other than I would take it over any light beer from BMC. Probably one of the better macros.

10-02-2010 22:40:23 | More by herman77
birdyone

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

It does look better than Bud, and let's face it, that's who we're comparing it to. I never pour it into a glass though. Did once, and it made it worse some how.

It just smells like beer. Non descrip beer.

Taste is par for the course on Macro brews. Make sure it's fresh. Which can be hard because it doesn't sell as well as Bud, and it has a clear bottle.

Mouth feel is nothing to write home about.

Long neck Millers, in a bucket of ice on after working in the sun all day. . . I can sort of understand where "Champaign of Beers" comes from. It's cheap too.

This is really as "light" of a beer as I can go. But it really is one of life's simple pleasures to crack open a High Life that was kept on ice while you mow the lawn. Miller time anyone?

10-02-2010 22:19:13 | More by birdyone
JunkYardJake

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz can poured into pint glass.
Clear and yellow/gold in color. Large fizzy head that quickly shrunk to a few bubbles. Looks like a stereotypical american beer. Smell is pretty unappealing. Corn husk, musty grain and some sweet malt. Taste is very mild. Little to no hop flavor and the malts are a little sweet. Basically par for the course. Mouthfeel is fluid and crisp from the full carbonation. Pretty drinkable and refreshing pale lager.

09-27-2010 21:03:39 | More by JunkYardJake
KoolWhp

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Due to it not being payday, I picked up a six-pack of Miller High Life tall boys in cans this past Friday. Not having had any in years, I wasn't sure what to expect. Not bottom-grade like the Natty Light I savored in college nor the high-grade fancy stuff I've been drinking in my early 30s, Miller High Life, while it has excellent packaging, should be sold in plain white cans with simply the word "BEER" emblazoned on it.

Far more watery than I remember it, you certainly don't get that immediate "I know I'm going to get a hangover" feeling that you get from other cheap beers. The taste is decent -- thin, but definitely palatable. The colder this beer is, the better, because if you forget about it in the next room for 15 minutes, you'll be hit with some swill that will nearly make you faint. No hangover per se, but you certainly will have stomach...issues.

I don't feel like seeking this beer out in the future, but...who am I kidding?

09-27-2010 15:57:04 | More by KoolWhp
CBOLAND17

2.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Although this beer is made by Miller which represents the American Beer Powerhouses (Miller, Coors, Bud...); of which i do not like at al. This beer actually isnt too bad for a mainstream american light lager. It has a light body with a decent amount of flavor. It isnt my first choice but Miller High Life actually isnt that bad and its about the same price as Natural Light which i will never again drink....plus High Life has a great slogan- "The Champagne of Beers"!

09-25-2010 17:20:32 | More by CBOLAND17
NODAK

Tennessee

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

When I open this beer, it just smells like a wet dog. Every one I had smelled the same. And while I know it's probably just from adjuncts or grain, that's what I'm getting.

Taste....mostly of corn in the body. You don't expect much flavor out of this beer and you won't get it, but the predominant flavor seems to be corn. There's a small hop bite at the finish with at least gives it a bit of crispness. Some cracker is also perceptible.

It's a cheap beer, so you can't expect a lot. It's probably better than other macros, but not by too far. Honestly, I'd hoped for more.

09-19-2010 04:55:49 | More by NODAK
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.