Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
BeefyMee

Connecticut

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Does the bottle count cause I've always considered the sleek and sexy throwback design to be the strongest aspect of this beer. Otherwise we're looking at a crystal clear pale yellow body with a pretty good head that actually left some lacing.

S: Grains and wet dog.

T: Very sweet probably a result of corn adjunct. Finishes a little funky and astringent on the palate.

A beer with a devoted following that sometimes verges on PBR-ish irony. Its redeeming qualities are few and far between with the bottle being the best part, as I said before. Easy drinking but surprisingly filling. More flavorful than some of its peers but still a pretty flimsy flavor profile. I don't mind a High Life when I'm offered, but I don't think I've ever been in the mood for one.

09-25-2011 18:00:42 | More by BeefyMee
Mattyssox

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

A = looks like someone peed in the bottle. almost no head.
S = smells like someone peed in the bottle.
T = like your typical cheap beer. descent carbonation.
M = easy to drink. flows as quickly as water, but with atleast some buzz
O = My summer, mowing, pool cleaning, landscaping, window installing, fence painting, house staining, deck building beer.

09-25-2011 15:04:35 | More by Mattyssox
CaptJackHarkness

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

The self proclaimed "Champange of Beers" for a mass brewer it may well be! This is my wife's favorite beer( she of no taste buds and no sense of exploration when it comes to food or drink!)

It is a decent, clean brew that must be drunk cold and quick! Abalanced mix of corn,malt,hops equal a neutral taste and aroma. Recommend having it when washing down a Big Mac.

09-22-2011 16:00:50 | More by CaptJackHarkness
olimpia84

1.8/5  rDev -32.8%

Can was poured into a plastic cup. I got this beer for free after I purchased a ticket for a concert and even though I had it before I never bothered to take notes.

This beer had a clear yellow color with visible carbonation and a small head that went away rather quickly. Smell was of metallic grains and corns. The taste was a bit stale with the typical watery corn flavor with inconsistent feel. Overall, this beer has the well known characteristics of your typical adjunct lager.

09-21-2011 14:55:29 | More by olimpia84
spitInTheOcean

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

the looks of this beer are dead on. pale straw color. great color. frothy white head. fair lacing.

smell is sweet of corn, and a subtle skunk and alcohol aroma. no malt aroma. no hop aroma.

i am drinking this beer literally ice cold, which gives it a nice biting sensation in the throat as i swallow. i imagine this is the temp the brewers recomend this beer to be drunk at. just the same adjuct flavors still come through. sweet taste throughout. mild hop flavor in the middle. finish tastes strongly of corn, a little of alcohol and malts, and a tad skunk.

light body. very crisp. very carbonated.

overall... i am afraid the flavor of corn here is to strong for me to recommend this as a good beer. however i think i paid $8 for 12 of these beers, so it has a nice bang for the buck if its the day before payday and you need to catch a buzz.

p.s. 40oz to freedom

09-17-2011 04:01:51 | More by spitInTheOcean
sweemzander

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

12oz. can poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a clear pale yellow color. Produced a nice cap of pure white froth. Some lace.

(S)- Light corn and rice grains with an almost honey-like sweetness.

(T)- Exactly like the smell. Enough said. Though in a clean, mellow finish.

(M)- A good crisp carbonation level. Not a whole lot going on, but it sure is a thirst quencher.

(D)- Back in the day, I would drink this like water. Very crisp and refreshing, though that are its only strong points.

09-11-2011 21:08:14 | More by sweemzander
Chickenhawk9932

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a shade paler than straw with a foamy white head.

Smells slightly astringent with a sting of carbonation. There is very little aroma.

Tastes of corn with a slight citrus ting in the carbonation ( maybe a hint of lemon) then gives way to sweet bread, with a metallic aftertaste. Mass produced adjunct - slightly better than the others.

09-05-2011 23:55:02 | More by Chickenhawk9932
cneville

3.28/5  rDev +22.4%

My cheap beer of choice. Easily the best cheap beer in bottles. That being said, after around ~500 of these lifetime, I feel the need to review it.

Look: I rarely pour into a glass, but the head holds well and the color is...there.

Smell: Ehh. Corn, a weird sweetness. No need to smell it again.

Taste: The corn shows up briefly, but fades. There's no weird aftertaste like in a lot of AALs, and it finishes smoothly. A decent sweetness.

Feel: Clean is the best word here. Lots of carbonation.

I will drink this until my income increases greatly. For now, here's to living the High lIfe.

09-01-2011 00:49:13 | More by cneville
emerge077

Average macro lager to the Nth degree. Fizzy bright gold, white frothy lacing. Corn and husky grain aroma, some light mineral notes. Lightly sweet with minimal bitterness. Minor flavors of wet grain, honey, and butter crackers. Dry and crisp finish, but largely bland and inoffensive. Gaseous and fizzy carbonation, not something i'd really drink more than one or two of, unlesss circumstances dictated, such as a family wedding in this case.

08-27-2011 23:11:17 | More by emerge077
Dmann

3.43/5  rDev +28%

When I need to go for a macro pils, I invariably pick this one over all others. Pours a light yellowish color with a small bubbly white head that does not stick around too long. Smell is of grain and then another dose of grain. Taste is not very complex with a nice, non overpowering malt sweetness, slight hop flavor in the background and a nice crisp finish on the flavor and the mouthfeel that is refreshing on a hot day. When I don't want something too complex and just a refreshing brew on a hot day, I'll take this over any other macro any day of the week.

08-27-2011 01:31:58 | More by Dmann
dball

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%

If I'm going to have a macro I choose High Life first then the Banquet Beer. I picked up a case two weeks ago for $11.98. Few beers worth even a 2.5 rating sell at that price.
I'm ok with the High Life.

The appearance is the best score because it comes in a stylish bottle. The rest is self explanatory.

08-26-2011 04:21:39 | More by dball
zimm421

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

Not sure why I'm drinking this with what's in my fridge, guess I didn't feel like giving up something good for a friend who hates anything not BMC... Anyway.

Poured into a standard pint. Pours a clear yellow. Fizzy, white head. No lacing, just your standard adjunct appearance. Smells pretty standard too. Corn, and not much else. A slight bitterness. Taste is the same. Sweet from the corn, almost no bitterness to the end. Just your standard BMC brew.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, high carbonation levels. Would be very drinkable if the flavor wasn't quite so off-putting. Definitely one of the better options when it comes to adjuncts but still not something I would touch if I really had a choice.

08-21-2011 04:41:21 | More by zimm421
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.17/5  rDev -19%

12oz bottle, from a grocery store in Helena, MT.

This beer pours a perfectly clear pale straw colour, with two fingers of thin foamy bone-white head, which leaves some decent sedimentary rock lace around the glass as it fades away. It smells of sweet adjunct grain, some mild acetone, and a dead grass/weediness character. The taste is a mild blurry graininess, fading sweet nail polish remover, and even more elusive weedy hops. The carbonation is moderate, but just on the soft side, the body better than I had bargained for - not quite middle of the road, but pushing for it, which leads to an only timidly cloying smoothness. It finishes off-dry, thanks to the not-going-away bland grain and subtle sugary booze sidekick.

Champagne of Beers? Sure, why the hell not, in a market where Bud is the King of Beer, this only makes soul-killing sense. Since I didn't grow up and throw up with this particular icon, I have no such justification for giving this nostalgia points. A bland, albeit generally inoffensive all-American lager. There, lynch mob averted.

08-19-2011 01:25:08 | More by biboergosum
brokennedy120

Idaho

2.7/5  rDev +0.7%

This is one bad beer. Of the cheap adjuncts, this is perhaps my least favorite. I don't mean to bag on any beer, but this "champagne of beers" is not even worth trying. My reason: TOO FUCKING BUUBLY. The taste and appearance and everything else is okay, but I cannot even stomach two of these without feeling like Mt. Vesuvius going nuts is in my guts. If you are a fan of blatant overcarbonation, then you will love this.

Please pardon my french but I feel strongly about these damn bubbles.

08-16-2011 19:24:18 | More by brokennedy120
TeddyBrew

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer has become my "go to" beer when I am getting a easy-drinking macro lager. I think I can do better, but I just haven't settled on another one yet.

I gave this a "5" for appearance because I just like the look of this beer. The color says crisp refreshment and the packaging has an appealing retro look to it.

It's refreshing all right. The downside is there are some off-flavors that I don't like in my beer. They don't pre-dominate like in some macros, but they are there just enough to make this a weak substitute for a Victory Pils or any number of fine craft lagers one can find easily enough.

08-13-2011 22:33:44 | More by TeddyBrew
buschbeer

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%

12oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - Straw yellow with two inches of white head. This is one of the few adjuncts that leaves some lacing.

S - Not much going on. Sweet grain and grass aromas.

T - Sweet malt and metal.

M - Thin with plenty of carbonation.

O - If this is the champagne of beers, then it is J. Roget.

08-07-2011 00:33:57 | More by buschbeer
Bartrash

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Well for years now the lady on the moon has been my Saturady afternoon cheap beer booty call. Cannot tell if it looks better than it tastes or the other way around. Smells sweet like most straw colored beers in this style. Taste is not so bad with just enough carb to make stand out from my other swillin beers. Can drink this one all afternoon or morning for that matter! Solid beer to share with the general public.

08-04-2011 12:44:45 | More by Bartrash
CS1971

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Miller High Life is about the same as any other American lager. To me they are all about the same. I bought a case of it to just try to save some money, and though it's not terrible, there is nothing unique or special about it. I will probably buy Yuengling if I am looking for a cheaper Lager, or even Schlitz, both have more of an interesting flavor than this beer. About the same as Bud, Coors, or any other Miller offering if you ask me, but good on a hot day, and cheap if you are pinching pennies.

07-29-2011 02:34:55 | More by CS1971
Jerone

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Straw colored with lots of bubbles and a very thing white head.

S - Grains, corn and some malt.

T - Smooth and refreshing corn and malt, not a lot there but better than most macros.

M - Light body, goes down smooth white lots of little bubbles.

O - My beer of choice for beer pong, use it for tailgating, parties or maybe by the pool.

07-27-2011 16:47:08 | More by Jerone
kflorence

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - JAN 18, 2008

It’s cheap, smooth and refreshing, but absolutely nothing special. Probably better than all of the other pale lagers I’ve tried, but would only buy because of the price and not the flavor. It is slightly sweet and smells of grains, tastes pretty much like it smells, decent aftertaste. I prefer MGD.

07-23-2011 04:27:11 | More by kflorence
HarryPoondini

I always drink Beer. It is delicious. I drink macros and micros and they all have a time and place. It's summer that means having friends over and hittin' the pool. Its hot and my names Harry and I like to party. I know for a fact that people reviewing the High Life negatively do not party. Great summer Beer. DRINK IT!

07-23-2011 00:03:44 | More by HarryPoondini
DrinkingDrake

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Yellow and full of carbonation. Big amount of fluffy, white head that turned into a thin blanket across the top. Nose is light grainy lemon and grass. Not much going on and it also smells a little sour. Taste is the same. A lot of carbonation and a sour, grainy, off lemon. Light body with a ton of carbonation. Finishes crisp and a subtle dryness. Only suitable for pounding with at a frat party/pubcrawl/beirut tournament or when there are dollar drafts.

07-21-2011 03:29:08 | More by DrinkingDrake
ktrillionaire

It's just plain-ol' beer; I could really end the review there, but I won't. The brew is a fizzy straw gold, like most beer produced on earth. The nose is just beery, with sweet corn adjunct popping out a bit, and small mineral notes. The flavor is more of the same, except that the feel and the flavor are intrinsically linked; the bright prickly nature of the brew enhances the otherwise slight flavor. Overall, average. Not as good as the draft version, which is unpasteurized.

07-19-2011 18:36:08 | More by ktrillionaire
BEERME528

Missouri

1.85/5  rDev -31%

This is just a bad tasting beer. The commercials and 'High Life' name got me excited which is why I tried it. This was not a good idea. Miller markets this product like it's some high end beer but it tastes like an extremely below average, get-drunk-quick beer. there is no way that I could sip and enjoy this product.

07-18-2011 19:05:51 | More by BEERME528
JackieTH

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

Part of Old Chicago's American beer mini-tour.

Pale yellow, bubbly with a half-inch of white head.

Smell is distinctly grain and cooked corn.

Taste is very mild and watery corn and grain. No aftertaste.

Crisp. Clean and light mouthfeel.

Easy to drink if you have nothing else on hand.

07-09-2011 20:30:08 | More by JackieTH
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.