Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
SpecialK088

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Had right from the bottle

A-Typical what you expect from an american macro

S-Same as above except a little more skuny from the clear bottle. Some yeastyness to it and maybe a slight hop note?

T&M-The chamagne of beer huh? I can actually see where they come up with this, it comes across much like one very carbonated and a slight sweetness to the flavor. Skunyness comes out pretty bad as it warms up, but cold you get some hops and alot more flavor than from most others in its class.

D-Good lawn mowing beer, outside working I could see drinking one that someone handed me, not so sure the situations I would buy it in tho.

04-21-2009 15:23:39 | More by SpecialK088
flyingv63

1.98/5  rDev -25.8%

A: It poured light gold, with a more than thin head at first that evaporated farely quick, very uneven lace.

S: Very unaromatic, hops aren't even noticable.

T: Not as bad as most macro's but still pretty terrible, but it is crisp and very slightly bitter.

M: Has a pretty harsh bite after the first initial taste.

D: For a cheap macro its pretty easy to pound these puppies all night long... so if your at a college party and your already drunk might as well knock em' back anyways.

04-20-2009 18:14:24 | More by flyingv63
MS2k

Maryland

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

Stole one from a 30-pack someone brought to a party. =p

A: Clear and golden. Head is light and bubbly, disappearing quickly and leaving splotchy and uneven lace.
S: Sweet and grainy. Slightly-sour adjunct scent.
T: Cereal grains very slight touches of bubble gum. Slight bite of alcohol at the end, but it's decent.
M: Light, but with some notable substance. Sustains some level of carbonation
D: Tolerable. I'd enjoy myself if a college party had this as its staple beer.

04-16-2009 22:24:38 | More by MS2k
naterock

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev +4.9%

Golden yellow with a white head that actually laces quite well
Smell is really quite repulsive but if it is consumed out of the bottle I don't think it would be that bad.

Tastes thin but with a malt profile and even a small hop character that I wasn't expecting. Skunky from the clear bottle but I bet it would be better from the can.

Mouth is light and a bit over carbonated but really quite refreshing. Drinks fast especially on a hot day but I wouldn't pick it up regularly. I wouldn't turn one down though.

04-14-2009 23:02:58 | More by naterock
Metalmonk

2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

Given to me by a neighbor, I politely said thank you and figured I'd review it. I probably wouldn't buy it, and don't know that I've ever even had it. My new favorite beer?

I almost retch just looking at it. The color is an extremely pale yellow, piss-like if I can be crude. Filtered beyond comprehension. The head is also wispy, like dishsoap only with smaller bubbles. Some lace, which is nice, but the rest looks awful.

Aroma is no surprise: cornlike with that peculiar veggies-fried-in-sugar sweetness (call it "DMS" if you wanna be fancy). Although maybe that's an insult to corn and veggies fried in sugar. Not much else to report.

Corn and Splenda dominate the flavor, also something straw-like and the most watered down honey you can imagine. Texture is like really watery soda without any of the syrupy stickiness. Not much else to say, really. "The Champagne of Beers," says the label.

How do you rate drinkability on something like this? It's not offensive enough to pour down the drain, but also something where I'd probably choose water, soda or some other beer if served at a party. That's not snobbery--that's just attempting to stay a contented human being. Times have changed--there's no reason for beer to be this bland. So, not my new favorite beer after all...

04-05-2009 20:22:32 | More by Metalmonk
moosiz

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

I drank this beer straight from the bottle, just as god intended it. It looks like golden water, no definitive characteristic just yellow/gold water with moderate to high carbonation.

The smell? Well what can I say, after you take back a bunch of bottles that have been sitting around for a while just before you sanitize your paws take a wiff.

This beer tastes to me like a fresh cut lawn very grassy wheat taste but watered down. call me crazy I kind of like it.

there is no aftertaste. Slight film left on the palate, maybe copper.

You could drink this beer all night long. Perfect for weddings, graduation parties, or a short budget $4.89 a sixer.

04-01-2009 03:04:16 | More by moosiz
Beernoisseur

Utah

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Ah, Miller high life, the champagne of beers. Somehow, that seems like an odd thing to say.

It's a little bit like saying "the apple of oranges".

Anyhow, the pour is straight straw yellow. The head is white white white. It doesn't hang around that long.

The smell is of corn and adjunct grains. Minor metallics. About what I expected. Not horrible, certainly not great.

The taste is of a standard macro adjunct lager. Crisp, cool, refreshing. That's pretty much where it stops. Not bad. But, once again, not great.

Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but not bad.

This beer is designed to be drinkable by the masses. While I wouldn't refuse it, it wouldn't choose it either. There is just so much more potential to beer.

04-01-2009 00:06:28 | More by Beernoisseur
storksonm

Wisconsin

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

A: golden

S: Smells kinda skunky but not terribly, maybe a little hops, but not anything super neat about it.
T: Not bad, not great either though. its an average "beer".

M: Its slightly bitter, carb burn to it, even has a bit of a skunky aftertaste, not that its all that bad.

D: Yeah its drinkable, nothin that I'll hold myself to drinking by the case but its the average joe's beer. And its an all around good beer if you're really not into micro-brews.

03-28-2009 17:13:14 | More by storksonm
Kylito87

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

This is going to be a short review.

Appearance - Nothing impressive. Staw yellow with little wisps of lacing. Pours like it is going to produce a prominent head and then quickly shatters your hopes by collapsing to nothing. Not really surprised but it is really sparkly :)

Smell - I was really hesitant to get a whiff of this being I only spent 4 bucks on a 6 pack. It really has no unique aroma just corn and grain thats about it.

Taste - It tastes way better than I thought it would. It isn't as complex as I usually like but in this case it works for some reason. It has nothing offensive in it so that probably helps

Mouthfeel - I was expecting more in this department. I mean I rarely buy light beer and I had to look at the can again to make sure I didn't make that mistake. There is nothing that catches my attention other than the large amount of carbonation. I am just rarely won over by thin beer.

Drinkability - Ok all the flaming aside this is where this beer does work. It goes down as smooth as honey. If you are looking for a good session beer for a bare bone price this is it. This is actually the only Miller product that I will actually drink under my own provision. I am a broke college student so I can't always afford my favorite beer so at 4 bucks for a 6 pack of tall boy cans I find myself drinking alot of these. Bottom line is it is not a great beer, it is a relatively decent beer that wins the cheap beer war between natti ice, busch , and busch light. I must say there are some great memories with this beer but it is nothing special.

03-22-2009 09:15:10 | More by Kylito87
cford1

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Presentation: From a keg in my house, into large glass mug.

Appearance: Very pale looking, darker than something like Natural Light though. There is moderate head with a little staying power.

Smell: Smells a lot like corn to me. Especially when it is served at a warmer temperature.

Taste: Rather thin body, although more than cheaper beers. Taste a lot like it smells with a moderate corn/barley flavor.

Overall: Its certainly better than Nati Light. But certainly not something I would drink given a larger budget. Great for college, not for much else...

03-17-2009 22:02:58 | More by cford1
northaustin

1.1/5  rDev -58.8%

what can i say about the beer of champagnes that hasnt already been said? to me high life is the lowest possible beer you can buy. tastes gross too fizzy, and doesnt even get you drunk unless you drink like twenty while running laps. corpo junk brew.if you havent had it then dont worry im sure youll be able to see it at every store in the entire world.

03-17-2009 02:53:36 | More by northaustin
MrHungryMonkey

2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

Nose is grainy and slightly sweet-smelling/fruity. Smells so-so.

Pours a pale yellow, good clarity, moderate head with some nice lacing. Looks okay.

Grainy and thin with notes of honey and apple. A mild raw astringentness throughout. Dry, crisp, toasty. Moderate carbonation. Finishes with a taste of fruit and grain. Tastes so-so. Feels okay.

Decent drinkability. There's not much to fend me away, but then there's also not much to draw me in.

03-17-2009 01:23:08 | More by MrHungryMonkey
blabla19

Arizona

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Just a short review for those looking for quality beer on a budget. Ever been to their website? I like it! For those who like the finer things in life but don't want to pay a lot for it, this is it. Compared to all the other yellow american beers, this is the best. Not too carbonated, but not too flavorful. I do taste corn and some hops. At least it doesn't taste like pee. I don't know what pee tastes like, but that's just a guess.

If you're at a gas station wondering what to buy in the 4-5 dollar range, this is it.

03-15-2009 21:11:42 | More by blabla19
tjkurz

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from can into chalice - 18 packet christmas gift from former brewery worker. Pale yellow clear appearance - head is fairly tight - some soapiness little to no lacing. Smells grainy tastes same with a little roasty - corn - hops not detected - finishes pale and a bit sweet - too sweet for me. Poured rest in for cooking brats. Mouthfeel great in terms of carb - light body not unexpected. Slightly surprised - especially in terms of appearance - but too sweet for me to consider good session wise.

03-15-2009 20:03:51 | More by tjkurz
Mumsbrew

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +51.7%

Haven't had one of these in a long, long time. I'm a stout man myself. Decided to pick up a 6 pack of bottles today and try one out. I've been thinking of brewing a batch of either an American ale or American lager. This is what i'd be going for.
Appearance - Beautiful. Just what you'd want in a golden clear lager. Really nice head and lacing.
Smell - Corn and grains. Not enough hops. Needs more aroma hops.
Taste - Could do with a little hops here too, same corn and grain.
Mouthfeel - Light and crisp. Just how it should be.
Drinkability - I'm on my 2nd in this tasteing and I'll be drinking the other 4 this evening. I grew up in the corn country of Ill. and had many of these growing up. Even been to the brewery when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes. So I'm a little partial to this beer. Loved it then and love it now. Will always be my stand by.

03-14-2009 20:32:52 | More by Mumsbrew
Stunner97

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

Appearance- Nice white foam head with moderate to high carbonation as small bubbles steam in the glass, nice yellow golden color very clear

Smell- Crisp corn and grain can be smelt with slight hop and malts, nothing overwhelming

Taste- Smooth creaminess on the start with a nice slight bitter finish, little bit of sweetness to make a nice mix in the flavor with slight bitter kick, corn is clearly apparent with slightly grain notes, very tasty in my opinion for the style

Mouthfeel- Light and crisp yet with a bit of a nice smoothness to it that make it a good mix

Drinkability- the drink ability to this is great for sure, you could easily have one of these and want many more, its one of the better american macros to me for sure, full flavor is here for the style of what it is, it is better than many of the other macros in my view, very tasty crisp and refreshing, and you have to also admire the quality considering how incredibly low the cost is where you could get 30 beers for only 13 bucks, pretty incredible considering some macros are 7 or more bucks and not even better at all, good for what they are they are a one i would visit occasionally especially if i was trying to stay on a budget,

03-11-2009 19:32:59 | More by Stunner97
Bookseeb

Washington

3.85/5  rDev +44.2%

Appearance is light golden in color with a very thin head and lace. Smell has a very light sweet adjunct aroma. Taste is a light, but well balanced between the sweet and the hop with good carbonation. Mouthfeel is crisp and light making it overall one of the best American (adjunct) lagers that I do enjoy drinking.

03-08-2009 00:45:40 | More by Bookseeb
JesseP09

4.1/5  rDev +53.6%

What a delicious beer. Personally I would rank it as the third best BMC product. Rich golden color and sweet smell and a bubbly pour. The beer feels great in your mouth, but more importantly tastes amazing. Just a great all-around beer with a price tag that is begging you to buy it.

03-05-2009 15:45:32 | More by JesseP09
woodske1

It ain't called the Champagne of Beer for nothing. I am usually a beer snob but this cheap beer is pretty good.

It has a nice smooth taste that you usually don't find in a cheap beer. It is also very drinkable, its not filling at all and is good from both bottles and cans.

03-03-2009 16:27:12 | More by woodske1
tittymcj

Connecticut

2.83/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Seems like a little bit of a travesty to waste a clean glass on this, but here goes...

Poured out crystal clear, pale gold, with pretty significant head that doesnt disappear for a while. Moderate lacing.

Smells like any other adjunct beer, mostly water and some corn.

Taste is almost exclusively corn, very sweet at the end.

Mouthfeel is much too watery for me, but refreshing and bubbly, which saves the score.

Drinkability is outstanding, as I could probably drink 10 of these in a night if I wanted to.

03-03-2009 00:24:34 | More by tittymcj
mikeal1917

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Miller High Life is my beer of choice when I intend on maybe drinking more than normal, say with friends or at a party. It's cheap price and availability is what draws me to it for that purpose.

Appearance- Little to no head at all, and usually I don't even take the time to pour it. A golden yellow color is simply average, and isn't anything special.

Smell- Has a typical pungent beer smell, with nothing special or distinct. It's simply the hops.

Taste- Has a very easy, slightly bitter initial taste, and creates a bread like after taste(think Wonderbread) which makes it easy to enjoy. The aftertaste doesn't linger, and the beer goes down smooth.

Mouthfeel- The beer has a watery, thin feel to it, and isn't impressive as all

Drinkability- This beer is extremely light and goes down easy. Well suited for casual drinking games with a group because it doesn't fill you up.

03-02-2009 17:50:02 | More by mikeal1917
Vancer

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

As I picked up a sixer of SN Bigfoot and Boulevard Single Wide, I spotted the big ol' 32oz oil can of da High Life for $.99 Who could resist?

Pours a crystal clear straw yellow, and a decent white head pops up and even lays a bit of lace as I progress down. No aroma - well, just a faint hint of veggied malt. Quaff is pretty smooth, with a subtle taste of malt. No hop of course, but the finish does balance out.

An average macro lager - no standout qualities, for the mass market tastes as it has a decent lager cut to it.

02-27-2009 00:40:18 | More by Vancer
Vengeance526

Louisiana

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

One of several "exciting" brews left over from our friends on Mardi Gras.

Pours a clear golden color with a small white head that quickly dissipates.

Smell is of sweet corn and not much else.

Taste is just corn and grain with a slight sweetness. This is actually probably one of the better tatsing macros out there but I don't think that is really saying much.

Feels like carbonated water but there's nothing really horrible about this beer. For whatever reason it seems to be the most tolerable macro I can remember but obviously I'd still avoid it if I can help it. But hell, for those guys who just drink beer for the effects, I suppose this is the best tasting thing you can get for about the cheapest price around. Is that worth anything?

02-25-2009 21:09:31 | More by Vengeance526
nickfl

3.35/5  rDev +25.5%

A - One half finger of frothy, white head on a clear, light yellow body. The head settles quickly and leaves a soapy ring of lace.

S - Grainy, sweet aroma of corn and weak malt. Light aroma of herbal hops balances.

T - Sweet, grain husk and malt. Moderate herbal hop flavor in the middle, finishes with a clean, grainy flavor.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a very dry finish.

D - Well, what do you expect from a value priced light lager? I personally have a soft spot for high life; it has more flavor than some other, more expensive macro lagers and it is very easy to drink way too many of these. Not a great beer, but again... what do you expect from the Champagne of Beers?

02-25-2009 06:25:11 | More by nickfl
AdmiralDiaz

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.
A: Pours a golden transparent body with a large white head.
S: Smells of slight hops and malty with strong grains and corn.
T: Tastes as it smells corn and grains
M: Well carbonated, just what you'd expect form Miller.
Overall: One of the better adjuncts in my book. Decent flavor and highly drinkable...Consume in large quantities.

02-24-2009 03:16:52 | More by AdmiralDiaz
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.