Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pure white, three-finger head that fades slowly to a thin layer and leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Crystal clear pale straw color. Nose is ?? Flavor is sweet corn with faint hints of hops in background. Squeaky clean finish. Good lawn mower beer. Better than MGD. The champagne of beers, who are they kidding? $1.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

jdhilt, Oct 21, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -23.2%

So I am not very enthusiastic about this beer. Much better than most adjuncts though.

Pours a pale straw color with a decent enough head and a little lacing. Smells of sweet corn and some florals. Tastes semi-sweet with a little hop bitterness playing with the palate. Mouthfeel is pretty thin and needs major work. Good carbonation. Poor drinkability.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 11, 2010
2.83/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very light yellow. With a thin bubbly head, lots of carbonation. It actually leaves some rings of bubbly lace.

S: Classic adjunct smell. Some sweet corn.

T: Sweet corn and grains. Its got some breadiness to it as well. Some hop twang near the end. Not bad at all for an adjunct. When I think of straight up old school generic beer, this is what I think it should taste like.

M: Thin as thin can be. Lots of fizzy carbonation. Its like mineral water.

D: Can't really say anything here other than I would take it over any light beer from BMC. Probably one of the better macros.

herman77, Oct 02, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

It does look better than Bud, and let's face it, that's who we're comparing it to. I never pour it into a glass though. Did once, and it made it worse some how.

It just smells like beer. Non descrip beer.

Taste is par for the course on Macro brews. Make sure it's fresh. Which can be hard because it doesn't sell as well as Bud, and it has a clear bottle.

Mouth feel is nothing to write home about.

Long neck Millers, in a bucket of ice on after working in the sun all day. . . I can sort of understand where "Champaign of Beers" comes from. It's cheap too.

This is really as "light" of a beer as I can go. But it really is one of life's simple pleasures to crack open a High Life that was kept on ice while you mow the lawn. Miller time anyone?

birdyone, Oct 02, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz can poured into pint glass.
Clear and yellow/gold in color. Large fizzy head that quickly shrunk to a few bubbles. Looks like a stereotypical american beer. Smell is pretty unappealing. Corn husk, musty grain and some sweet malt. Taste is very mild. Little to no hop flavor and the malts are a little sweet. Basically par for the course. Mouthfeel is fluid and crisp from the full carbonation. Pretty drinkable and refreshing pale lager.

JunkYardJake, Sep 27, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Due to it not being payday, I picked up a six-pack of Miller High Life tall boys in cans this past Friday. Not having had any in years, I wasn't sure what to expect. Not bottom-grade like the Natty Light I savored in college nor the high-grade fancy stuff I've been drinking in my early 30s, Miller High Life, while it has excellent packaging, should be sold in plain white cans with simply the word "BEER" emblazoned on it.

Far more watery than I remember it, you certainly don't get that immediate "I know I'm going to get a hangover" feeling that you get from other cheap beers. The taste is decent -- thin, but definitely palatable. The colder this beer is, the better, because if you forget about it in the next room for 15 minutes, you'll be hit with some swill that will nearly make you faint. No hangover per se, but you certainly will have stomach...issues.

I don't feel like seeking this beer out in the future, but...who am I kidding?

KoolWhp, Sep 27, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Although this beer is made by Miller which represents the American Beer Powerhouses (Miller, Coors, Bud...); of which i do not like at al. This beer actually isnt too bad for a mainstream american light lager. It has a light body with a decent amount of flavor. It isnt my first choice but Miller High Life actually isnt that bad and its about the same price as Natural Light which i will never again drink....plus High Life has a great slogan- "The Champagne of Beers"!

CBOLAND17, Sep 25, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

When I open this beer, it just smells like a wet dog. Every one I had smelled the same. And while I know it's probably just from adjuncts or grain, that's what I'm getting.

Taste....mostly of corn in the body. You don't expect much flavor out of this beer and you won't get it, but the predominant flavor seems to be corn. There's a small hop bite at the finish with at least gives it a bit of crispness. Some cracker is also perceptible.

It's a cheap beer, so you can't expect a lot. It's probably better than other macros, but not by too far. Honestly, I'd hoped for more.

NODAK, Sep 19, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

I can't help it, but for some reason I actually enjoy miller high life.
Sure there is nothing impressive about it, but you can always find this beer and know exactly what to expect. I prefer the taste of this beer to the bud lights, miller, and Coors beers. It is a highly carbonated beer but the taste is a love and hate relationship. I think the taste is more complex than your typical lager/pilsner, but for the price and history with this beer, I wouldn't mind picking this up for an all day drink secession.

chucktrivette, Sep 15, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

A straw yellow with a ton of soapy white bubbles that go away fairly quickly

S- corn with some sweetness

T- unlike most macros this one has a some character kinda like a cracker with some faint hops

M- very thin but with a nice carbonation bite

D- Goes down smooth and is extremely affordable not bad for a macro

rcwhiteky, Sep 15, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +39.7%

Pale and clear with a bony head that flares up initially but settles down, fairly sticky while it lasts. I've always like the over-the-top marketing campaign for High Life, and it truly is the Champagne of Adjunct American Lagers.

Smell is mild grassy and unsalted butter popcorn. A bit of lemony hops and mineral essence prevail. This is a hugely refreshing beer, a great substitute for water and I don't mean that in a negative way.

MHL is such a huge improvement over Tecate and likely much better than PBR and probably every macro AAJ. A simple complement to battered fish that has its place, keeps its price and knows its role. The gentlemans choice.

bohemiandonut, Sep 14, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Looks good for a lager - plenty of head and thick lacing

smell is corn grain smell, not skunky but almost non present

taste is fairly clean but doesn't have any depth and finishes a little bitter with bready light buiscit notes - not nice but not awful

overall it's better than some cheap American lagers but not near as good as pbr

benclimbs, Sep 14, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

straight from the bottle

A - cannot review head as it's from the bottle, what I could see was decent clinginess. the color however is just gross, it looks like green tea cut with a bunch of water. it gets better from here though

S - decent smell, some corn and grain, no real complaints but nothing impressive

T - this I was surprised at. a sharp bite in the front, light hops and cracker maltness the whole way through. impressed

M - smooth lager feel, bubbly and light

D - I mean, for a light bodied beer that has more taste than you'd expect, this is pretty downable. had one with a chicken sandwich

obrendano, Sep 13, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

I got tired of smelling aluminum when I drink cheap beer, so I began pouring it into my 20 oz IKEA glass. Tried Rainier first, but it seemed to leave a headache, so I paid about 70 cents more for a six pack of 16 oz. cans and poured away. I was impressed by the persistent head, and began to drink. I found it rather soft and vaugely sweet, although you can detect hops and barley there. It is appropriately yellow, so unless they used food coloring it must be real beer. The taste was smooth, and the aftertaste was somewhere between acceptable and undetectable. Active ingredient being 5%, the buzz from 16 oz. is just about right for a quiet sunny day out in the yard. You could probably drink this all day and then run out in your front yard naked waving a shotgun and still wake up the next day feeling fine and ready for another session. Next time I am feeling flush with cash, I will try Budweiser, which is about $2 more than Rainier for 16-oz. 6-packs.

sabinelr, Sep 13, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +3%

It's so cheap. $7 and change for a 12-pack of bottles. For like $0.64 (cents) a bottle, I'll take it. However, nothing about this beer is good, except for the price. I can't recall any smell at all, which could be a good thing. It tastes decent though and it goes down fairly well.

chadjulius, Sep 07, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +18%

Frothy head upon initial pouring. There is a faint smell that reminded me of dish water or cleaning bleach but it disappeared quickly and had no effect on the taste. The flavor is OK for a budget macro brew. I found the mouth feel to be somewhat on the lighter side. A decent summer time lager when the budget is tight or you need to pass a kidney stone.

Chevami, Sep 06, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Miller High Life was my first beer...when I was 4 years old. Only had two sips before my mother freaked out on my dad...for not using the proper glassware. Actually, I had a taste or two from the bottle, but it seems I never completely forgot the flavor. I remember at the time feeling that it, "it" being beer, tasted strange - not good, but not necessarily bad. Probably why I asked my dad for another sip - just to make sure it wasn't for me.

Beer didn't touch my lips for another 11 years, and Miller High Life didn't come into contact with said lips again until last night. And I gotta say, the Champagne of Beers ain't half bad.

Poured it into a snifter-type glass and it foamed up vigorously, sudsy and white. Light-amber, but closer to a golden-yellow in color. The head slowly fades and the lacing doesn't take.

Smells of sweet corn and maybe some grain. No hops. Not a bad aroma overall. Tastes slightly sweet and perhaps very faintly hoppy. Not a significant malt presence. Pretty enjoyable altogether for what it is.

Best thing about MHL I found was the feel and drinkability. No bite and limited fizz. Drinks somewhat smooth but not as crisp or watery-clean as other mass-marketed brands. And that's a big plus. Content to have this again if it's laying around.

Bouleboubier, Sep 05, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

After reading a thread on Miller High Life here, I had to try this beer again. I haven't had it since college, when I was no beer advocate.

Pours a pale golden color with a foamy white head.

Mild grainy aroma with a tiny hint of hops.

The taste is light and sweet with just a tinge of bitterness. It's not half bad. There is a vegetable aftertaste that's not that great.

Light body.

Overall this is one of the better adjunct lagers. It's really affordable, so that's also a plus. Four 16-ounce cans cost me a bit over $2.

Shaw, Sep 02, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Light and clear yellow goldish color with a white head and semi decent gobby lacing.

Smells very light sweet and Hoppy (grassy).

Taste is same except a bit more pronounced. Sweet and even.

Mouthfeel is watery with a slightly dry crisp finish.

Come on, its like water, of course its drinkable.

Better than the average American adjunct lager.

ryanonline, Sep 01, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -12%

From the can, poured as always straight up into a pint glass. I can't drink beer straight from the can, if I have the option to have a glass.

Foam had some staying power, better than most macros. Also some decent lacing.

The next day I had a headache. Lots of rice and or corn in this bad boy.

bondjedi, Sep 01, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz. can served into a pint glass
Day three of the cheap beers leftover from a party experiment. Many claim that Miller High Life is a contender to PBR, my personal vote for best bad beer. Let's see how the contender fares.

Pours a piss-yellow pale pathetic looking color. The body looks terrible. It looks as attractive as the High Life commercial guy's body size looks healthy. The head though... wow. What a thing of beauty. Three fingers of fluffy, dynamic pillows of froth and angel poop. Lacing sticks to the glass like a puppy to a marrow bone.

I hate this aroma. It doesn't smell like anything. PBR had some tin and lots of corn. Hell, the Coors Light that I had yesterday had a lot more going on in the nose. This has some grass and some sweetish malt lingering somewhere like a shy ghost. I'll give it this: the smell has integrity to it. It smells an awful lot like a proper maibock. That is, when it smells at all, which is not often and not very much.

Lots of icky rice flavors characterize the grain taste of this beer. Some corn on the finish, but mostly rice. A slightly floral bit of hops underscores the whole thing. But this is really, truly, Godawful. Man, fuck this beer. Watery, nasty. Swill. This is just a flat-out shitty beer. I can appreciate adjunct lagers like PBR or Schlitz for embracing their corn side of things. High Life seems to embrace nothing; it tries to taste like nothing.

Too much carbonation for too little body. It feels like drinking a pop. Blech. Drinkability is pretty great. I mean, this goes down like water. It is barely a step up from from light lager.

In fact, it is a step down in quality from the Coors Light I had yesterday. I'd reach for a Coors Light one hundred times out of one hundred if forced to choose between it and Miller High Life. This sucks.

Reaper16, Aug 31, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

if you are on a budget, this beer is one of the best to purchase and consume. i would recommend pbr first, but this one isn't bad.

poured into a pint glass--it's light in color. not much here, and you can see it.

smell is what you would expect for a cheap adjunct. corn.

taste is nothing special. there is something decent there. i think it is the yeast. it is a crisp, clean taste.

mouthfeel is below average. don't expect any roundness here...not heavy...just a bit thicker than a glass of water.

in a hot summer blaze, one could easily drink a case of mhl. it's not bad.

unskinnyhop09, Aug 30, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

A-Poured into my Pabst chalice. It is a nice gold color with a frothy, bright white head that dissipates leaving a layer of foam. There is some nice cascading and lacing on the glass, making this one of the best looking beers for the style, which I know isn't saying much.

S-Typical adjunct nose consisting of corn and malt, with a little mustiness as well.

T-Malty, slightly musty, with a corn presence and a hint of hops. Very crisp and refreshing however.

M-Thin and watery.

D-Very, very drinkable with a low abv. and its light body.

Overall, I never pour these out of the bottle to drink mainly because one of the reasons I purchase it is because I like the bottle. Its a great beer for drinking on a budget or when hanging out with non craft drinking friends.

thegodfather2701, Aug 30, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

MaddHopper brought these to our fantasy football draft at Big's place. Been a while since I had them, so thought I'd try a few. Ended up having three, and was pleasantly surprised!

The bottles have a nice look. Love that this is the Champagne of Beers. That is pretty classic. The beer itself was a bit too bright yellow for me. It also appeared pretty thin.

Smelled okay, but it was hard to get any real scent from it. It just wasn't a strong smell.

Tasted good! Not quite the champagne of beers, if that's to imply that it is the best of the best, but it's got a nice taste to it.

Nothing special about the mouthfeel.

Very drinkable. As I said, I had three and could easily have had more if I were not driving. It's funny that I can remember that this beer was derided about 10 or 15 years ago--it was one of the worst beers available. Now, I think it's probably about one of the best of the big brewery beers out there.

Kooz, Aug 30, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

I'm reviewing this within the style that it is in and not comparing it to another style unfairly.

There is only one macro that I enjoy drinking, and this one is it. There are others that I can tolerate, but this one I will buy just to have something around that is refreshing to drink. Something that is not heavy, or hoppy or malty... just lightweight and enjoyable. Even with the adjuncts, there is nothing offensive here, and it does the job that it is supposed to do. Crisp, thin mouth feel, excellent head and lacing down the glass - please don't drink from the container - pour this one. I like the 6 pack of 16oz cans best poured into glass because I have had some inconsistent quality in the bottles. Occasionally yo get a very bitter one for some reason. There's not much aroma to savor, but the balance in flavor and adequate alcohol content make this one the best macro out there that I have found yet - not to mention the price is great.

HopCrazy, Aug 28, 2010
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.