Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
KBomb

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

As summer approaches, I grabbed a sixer of 16oz cans in anticipation of camping, grilling, and other such activities that often call for unpretentious liquid refreshment. I've got some opinions formed about the macros I drink when the occasion calls, but I thought some formal reviewing might be in order.

High Life is a pretty good looking golden lager. A large frothy head sits on top and leaves some significant soapy lacing. Appearance is kind of remarkable actually! Smell is minimal: a hint of sweet grain, but barely anything there to detect. Taste is mostly of sweet, clean grain. A hint of hop bitterness on the front end, a little metallic taste on the back. Still, strikingly clean flavor. Moderately smooth mouthfell. Goes down pretty easy.

High Life passes as a drinkable macrolager that runs a few nickles cheaper than the heavily advertised BMC stuff. High Life, PBR, and Old Style have a place in my fridge for cheap-ass beer that doesn't bore me to death or taste like vomit.

05-21-2009 23:07:10 | More by KBomb
njthebestofme

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

A- yellow.. no head.. nothing speacail

S- no true scent.. malts i can catch thats about it

T- average .. little sweeter then others.. no overpowering hops malts or barley.. makes it easy to drink and have a few

M- no after taste really

D- so easy to drink ..nice on a hot day

05-21-2009 17:35:31 | More by njthebestofme
thecarster1

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

a- can poured into a pint, one inch bubbly head, good amount of carbonation, bright yellow color, good head retention and lacing. suprisingly impressive looking.

s- smells grainy, little bit of corn, little metallic, almost white wine smelling.

t- decent adjunct taste, grain, little hops, sweetness.

m- better than i thought it would be, it's got some substance, alot of carbonation on the tongue.

d- it is what it is, pretty drinkable, your not gonna drink this when you want a nice tasty craft beer experience.

05-21-2009 04:14:13 | More by thecarster1
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +36%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Thomas Hooker pint glass.

A: Poured a clear, pale golden yellow with tons of bubbly carbonation and a one-finger head of bubbly carbonation. The carbonation actually settled to a steady flow and there was some decent retention and a bit of sticky lace.

S: Smells sweet and grainy, with a slight metallic hop zest. Not much to the nose.

T: Taste is slightly sweet and acrid, like cooked veggies with corn syrup added. There is a very light, toasted grainy taste and some drying hops, but the flavor is mostly clean, fizzy grain.

M: Mouthfeel is thin-medium bodied for a macro, with a well-carbonated feel.

D: I've pounded many a High Life to session on a cheap marco night, and find that it works just as well for me as PBR, Rolling Rock or Narragansett.

The "Champagne of Beers" indeed, this cult macro lager is clearly mass produced and not of the most interesting or flavorful variety, but with its fluted casing and clean, bubbly, refreshing flavor, it will forever hold a place in my heart.

05-20-2009 01:44:59 | More by Gambrinus1184
atpben

3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

I haven't had any beers made by the macros since 2000 with the exception of reviewing Bud's American Ale, and Miller High Life. This is the only beer made by any of them which I actually go to as a default beer if nothing else is available. Poured it into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color. Not much in the aroma except some bready malt and grain. Taste on the sweet side with good crispiness. Aftertaste had some veryt light lingering honey. Very easy to drink a lot of this. To this day still my only default macro beer. Not too bad.

05-17-2009 16:32:57 | More by atpben
jbone78

4.63/5  rDev +73.4%

I think this beer has a place and a purpose. I drink it at the beach, on fishing trips ,or while playing golf. It is also consumed in large amounts. That means it is good.

A- Light sunshine color.
S- Smells like the gulf of Mexico and sun tanning lotion.
T- better than water.
M- Crisp and clean
D- Like I said, It is consumed in large anounts.

Drink Responsibly!

-Bye

05-07-2009 00:50:28 | More by jbone78
gford217

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle at Holeman & Finch (served alongside a shot of Old Overholt Rye Whiskey, and together called "Buck the Recession", nice!).

The pour is yellow and bubbly with a surprisingly long-lasting white head that leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is a little less impressive than the look, and is mostly corn and light sweet malts.

The taste follows the aroma and might have a little more flavor than I was expecting, with the sweetness of malts and grainy corn flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and certainly better than most BMC light beers out there. It's got a decent clean finish but leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

This is a middle of the road lager for the style, certainly not terrible but not one I'd want to drink very often. It definitely tasted better after I had the shot of Old Overholt though. Nice combo!

05-03-2009 18:17:27 | More by gford217
Thorpe429

1.33/5  rDev -50.2%

A: Slightly golden with an okay white head and some carbonation.

S: Some hints of grain in addition to the smell of adjuncts.

T: Not at all good. Almost tastes like fake beer with metal in it.

M: Too much carbonation and a weird metallic vibe to it. Feels and tastes like I bit my tongue.

D: Same as the mouthfeel. Absolutely stay away from this one. As far as I'm concerned, the worst of the macros.

05-02-2009 16:25:20 | More by Thorpe429
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap in a shaker pint.

Surprisingly nice looking beer. Impressive structure, retention and lacing from the bright white head. Pale yellow (some would say 'piss yellow') body has perfect clarity.

Smells like, well, not a lot, which I guess is the point. Some corn, some very light grain and nothing else.

Tastes very sweet, like creamed corn. Slight bit of lemon bitterness, no hops really. Best consumed quickly while it's still ice cold.

Creamy mouthfeel would be pleasant if there were some more carbonation. Instead, it's just too much corny sweetness.

Not the first beer I'd reach for in the macro section of the beer aisle.

04-29-2009 21:51:21 | More by PDXHops
russwaddell

3.15/5  rDev +18%

Bright yellow and clear. In clear bottles or in a glass, I find the color very off-putting and unnatural. Then again, a 40 oz. bottle doesn't flatter many beverages.

Smells too sweet, but is good and beery. Think frat house or dive.

Tastes pretty weak, kind of yeasty and very sugary without much spice or complexity. Quite the syrupy aftertaste...or is that "long finish?"

Very fizzy. Carbonation overwhelms the flavor.

Overall, refreshing and drinkable but simple and unexciting.

04-29-2009 00:16:19 | More by russwaddell
sevopie

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev +18%

Light straw golden color with an airy white head. Actually laces a bit.

Light and sweet nose, with a bit of corn/cereal grains.

Light and crisp, moderate sweetness with a dry grainy finish.

Actually has some thickness on the tongue, with a heavy dose of carbonation.

Having never tried High Life before, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I'm actually rather enjoying it, and it may even supplant PBR as the cheapie of choice.

04-27-2009 09:23:52 | More by sevopie
drunkboxer1

4.08/5  rDev +52.8%

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. My grandfather used to drink this beer while mowing the lawn in the summer. He did it based solely on how refreshing it looked. He's right and thats why I'm scoring it so high on appearance. It smells like corn, but not too strong in my opinion. You shouldn't be smelling this beer anyway. Beer is for drinking, you ass. It tastes crisp, and fairly clean. Not of a lot of corny sliminess that happens in these cheap American lagers. Mouthfeel is on target of the style (light) and the drinkability is awesome. This beer is designed to be drank in a session.

04-25-2009 23:48:16 | More by drunkboxer1
Seanibus

1.9/5  rDev -28.8%

Mmm-mm good. I found myself stranded at a concert with few better choices. At least it was better than the PBR I followed it up with.

Clear and yellow in bottle. Froths slight when opened. Smells slightly sour and urinelike. Flavor is a little grainy with a faint flicker of hop bitterness, but mostly a flat corny sweetness. A little sourish bitterness on the back end. The Mouthfeel is quite thin, leaving a little sourness behind.

04-21-2009 17:28:38 | More by Seanibus
SpecialK088

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Had right from the bottle

A-Typical what you expect from an american macro

S-Same as above except a little more skuny from the clear bottle. Some yeastyness to it and maybe a slight hop note?

T&M-The chamagne of beer huh? I can actually see where they come up with this, it comes across much like one very carbonated and a slight sweetness to the flavor. Skunyness comes out pretty bad as it warms up, but cold you get some hops and alot more flavor than from most others in its class.

D-Good lawn mowing beer, outside working I could see drinking one that someone handed me, not so sure the situations I would buy it in tho.

04-21-2009 15:23:39 | More by SpecialK088
flyingv63

1.98/5  rDev -25.8%

A: It poured light gold, with a more than thin head at first that evaporated farely quick, very uneven lace.

S: Very unaromatic, hops aren't even noticable.

T: Not as bad as most macro's but still pretty terrible, but it is crisp and very slightly bitter.

M: Has a pretty harsh bite after the first initial taste.

D: For a cheap macro its pretty easy to pound these puppies all night long... so if your at a college party and your already drunk might as well knock em' back anyways.

04-20-2009 18:14:24 | More by flyingv63
MS2k

Maryland

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

Stole one from a 30-pack someone brought to a party. =p

A: Clear and golden. Head is light and bubbly, disappearing quickly and leaving splotchy and uneven lace.
S: Sweet and grainy. Slightly-sour adjunct scent.
T: Cereal grains very slight touches of bubble gum. Slight bite of alcohol at the end, but it's decent.
M: Light, but with some notable substance. Sustains some level of carbonation
D: Tolerable. I'd enjoy myself if a college party had this as its staple beer.

04-16-2009 22:24:38 | More by MS2k
naterock

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev +4.9%

Golden yellow with a white head that actually laces quite well
Smell is really quite repulsive but if it is consumed out of the bottle I don't think it would be that bad.

Tastes thin but with a malt profile and even a small hop character that I wasn't expecting. Skunky from the clear bottle but I bet it would be better from the can.

Mouth is light and a bit over carbonated but really quite refreshing. Drinks fast especially on a hot day but I wouldn't pick it up regularly. I wouldn't turn one down though.

04-14-2009 23:02:58 | More by naterock
Metalmonk

2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

Given to me by a neighbor, I politely said thank you and figured I'd review it. I probably wouldn't buy it, and don't know that I've ever even had it. My new favorite beer?

I almost retch just looking at it. The color is an extremely pale yellow, piss-like if I can be crude. Filtered beyond comprehension. The head is also wispy, like dishsoap only with smaller bubbles. Some lace, which is nice, but the rest looks awful.

Aroma is no surprise: cornlike with that peculiar veggies-fried-in-sugar sweetness (call it "DMS" if you wanna be fancy). Although maybe that's an insult to corn and veggies fried in sugar. Not much else to report.

Corn and Splenda dominate the flavor, also something straw-like and the most watered down honey you can imagine. Texture is like really watery soda without any of the syrupy stickiness. Not much else to say, really. "The Champagne of Beers," says the label.

How do you rate drinkability on something like this? It's not offensive enough to pour down the drain, but also something where I'd probably choose water, soda or some other beer if served at a party. That's not snobbery--that's just attempting to stay a contented human being. Times have changed--there's no reason for beer to be this bland. So, not my new favorite beer after all...

04-05-2009 20:22:32 | More by Metalmonk
moosiz

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

I drank this beer straight from the bottle, just as god intended it. It looks like golden water, no definitive characteristic just yellow/gold water with moderate to high carbonation.

The smell? Well what can I say, after you take back a bunch of bottles that have been sitting around for a while just before you sanitize your paws take a wiff.

This beer tastes to me like a fresh cut lawn very grassy wheat taste but watered down. call me crazy I kind of like it.

there is no aftertaste. Slight film left on the palate, maybe copper.

You could drink this beer all night long. Perfect for weddings, graduation parties, or a short budget $4.89 a sixer.

04-01-2009 03:04:16 | More by moosiz
Beernoisseur

Utah

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

Ah, Miller high life, the champagne of beers. Somehow, that seems like an odd thing to say.

It's a little bit like saying "the apple of oranges".

Anyhow, the pour is straight straw yellow. The head is white white white. It doesn't hang around that long.

The smell is of corn and adjunct grains. Minor metallics. About what I expected. Not horrible, certainly not great.

The taste is of a standard macro adjunct lager. Crisp, cool, refreshing. That's pretty much where it stops. Not bad. But, once again, not great.

Mouthfeel is somewhat watery, but not bad.

This beer is designed to be drinkable by the masses. While I wouldn't refuse it, it wouldn't choose it either. There is just so much more potential to beer.

04-01-2009 00:06:28 | More by Beernoisseur
storksonm

Wisconsin

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

A: golden

S: Smells kinda skunky but not terribly, maybe a little hops, but not anything super neat about it.
T: Not bad, not great either though. its an average "beer".

M: Its slightly bitter, carb burn to it, even has a bit of a skunky aftertaste, not that its all that bad.

D: Yeah its drinkable, nothin that I'll hold myself to drinking by the case but its the average joe's beer. And its an all around good beer if you're really not into micro-brews.

03-28-2009 17:13:14 | More by storksonm
Kylito87

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

This is going to be a short review.

Appearance - Nothing impressive. Staw yellow with little wisps of lacing. Pours like it is going to produce a prominent head and then quickly shatters your hopes by collapsing to nothing. Not really surprised but it is really sparkly :)

Smell - I was really hesitant to get a whiff of this being I only spent 4 bucks on a 6 pack. It really has no unique aroma just corn and grain thats about it.

Taste - It tastes way better than I thought it would. It isn't as complex as I usually like but in this case it works for some reason. It has nothing offensive in it so that probably helps

Mouthfeel - I was expecting more in this department. I mean I rarely buy light beer and I had to look at the can again to make sure I didn't make that mistake. There is nothing that catches my attention other than the large amount of carbonation. I am just rarely won over by thin beer.

Drinkability - Ok all the flaming aside this is where this beer does work. It goes down as smooth as honey. If you are looking for a good session beer for a bare bone price this is it. This is actually the only Miller product that I will actually drink under my own provision. I am a broke college student so I can't always afford my favorite beer so at 4 bucks for a 6 pack of tall boy cans I find myself drinking alot of these. Bottom line is it is not a great beer, it is a relatively decent beer that wins the cheap beer war between natti ice, busch , and busch light. I must say there are some great memories with this beer but it is nothing special.

03-22-2009 09:15:10 | More by Kylito87
cford1

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Presentation: From a keg in my house, into large glass mug.

Appearance: Very pale looking, darker than something like Natural Light though. There is moderate head with a little staying power.

Smell: Smells a lot like corn to me. Especially when it is served at a warmer temperature.

Taste: Rather thin body, although more than cheaper beers. Taste a lot like it smells with a moderate corn/barley flavor.

Overall: Its certainly better than Nati Light. But certainly not something I would drink given a larger budget. Great for college, not for much else...

03-17-2009 22:02:58 | More by cford1
northaustin

1.1/5  rDev -58.8%

what can i say about the beer of champagnes that hasnt already been said? to me high life is the lowest possible beer you can buy. tastes gross too fizzy, and doesnt even get you drunk unless you drink like twenty while running laps. corpo junk brew.if you havent had it then dont worry im sure youll be able to see it at every store in the entire world.

03-17-2009 02:53:36 | More by northaustin
MrHungryMonkey

2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

Nose is grainy and slightly sweet-smelling/fruity. Smells so-so.

Pours a pale yellow, good clarity, moderate head with some nice lacing. Looks okay.

Grainy and thin with notes of honey and apple. A mild raw astringentness throughout. Dry, crisp, toasty. Moderate carbonation. Finishes with a taste of fruit and grain. Tastes so-so. Feels okay.

Decent drinkability. There's not much to fend me away, but then there's also not much to draw me in.

03-17-2009 01:23:08 | More by MrHungryMonkey
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.