Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
twiggamortis420

2.42/5  rDev -9.4%

Leftover from weekend visitors.
Crystal clear filtered yellow color. Decent white head and some actual lacing on the glass! Foam fades slowly compared to most macros as well. Not a bad looking beer.

In a word - creamed corn smell. Sweet, slightly metallic nose to it. No hops and no yeast scent.

Champagne of beer, eh? I can see some similarities...highly carbonated, sweet and full of adjuncts...my guess is corn. Not a horrible tasting beverage, just not very beer-like. Cheap, smooth and somewhat crisp. What else would one expect? Drinkable...but barely.

10-09-2008 21:50:38 | More by twiggamortis420
djeucalyptus

Oregon

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

I'll always have a soft spot for High Life and it's crispness. We all know what it looks like. It pours the color of dried hay with a bit of fizz at the top forming a pseudo-head that fades into nothingness. Lacing is wishful thinking. Smells a bit grassy and malty with hints of crushed saltine (the unsalted kind)... nothing to write home about but nothing that turns me away. Taste starts out with a bit of corn and nuts, followed by a bit of malt. It's light and not very big on the flavor. Crisp and refreshing is more the name of the game. It's carbonation can be overpowering, but there's not really any flavor to overpower, so it's not a big issue. On the whole, it's fairly drinkable. I lived off of it one summer and survived. It kept me alive. And it's cheap. If i had to pick one cheap beer to drink regularly, I'd probably have to tap High Life. It's the best of the worst, so to speak.

10-02-2008 06:50:04 | More by djeucalyptus
Goliath

1.6/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a vibrant light golden color and is "crystal clear". A half inch foamy white head forms on the pour. Poor retention and some spotty lace.

The aroma is typical. Some sweet pale malt, kind of bready with no hint of hops.

The taste is pretty terrible. Sweet pale malt, with no definite characteristic. I don't really know what to say, I just know I don't like it.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavor is kind of making me sick. Poorly constructed and not enjoyable.

09-24-2008 21:13:08 | More by Goliath
redneckchugger

3.78/5  rDev +41.6%

Right from the bottle, only way to enjoy the high life. smells of corn, but the taste is different. i swear this beer is belgian influenced( not comparing it to duvel don't worry). the huge bone white head, and the slightly phenolic flavor all seem belgian like to me. either way, its the best macro on the market.

09-21-2008 13:16:52 | More by redneckchugger
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

Well, this, alongside the MGD was the "classier" beer we'd drink when I was in undergrad (mind you, that wasn't too long ago..I'm not that old)

Appearance: Pale, gold..with some lacing from the foam. Looks like the typical macro lager...fits the bill nicely. This is the first time I haven't had this from a 40 oz.

Aroma: Corn and a slight "beery" smell, if anything. Its pretty bland. Nothing disgusting or offensive.

Taste: A bit sweetish, all else is maybe the corn, but really not much. I guess its malt sweetness to a degree, but I wouldn't say the malts are overpowering, neither is the sweetness. Again, like the smell, its nothing disgusting or offensive in any way.

Mouthfeel: Watery and thin, as expected. Its got a good deal of carbonation that makes it pretty refreshing though. Goes down fairly smoothly.

Drinkability: This is probably its best feature, and I think this is the main feature that American Macro Lagers try to get at. Its pretty simple, and its cheap, and it does the trick if you want to get a refreshing beer, or sit out on the deck.

If I wanted a beer to drink outside on a hot day, it would be a hefeweizen or a witbier, but if I feel like being cheap, this works as well. I'm cheap in certain things, but beer is NOT one of those things.

09-21-2008 04:22:58 | More by kshankar
oriolesfan4

Maryland

2.86/5  rDev +7.1%

Ah, the high life.. the champagne of beers. I think this is the best cheap beer money can buy. An 18 pack for $7.99? Can't beat that. Has much more taste than any of the other macros out there, but it seems to a hate it or love it sort of taste. It takes some getting used to but this is my go to party beer.

09-20-2008 19:19:58 | More by oriolesfan4
Otacon

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

Guess I should review my own macro of choice (and the first beer I've ever drank) First time pouring it into a glass that didn't have an opponents ping pong ball land in it before drinking actually :D

Look: Pours a clear very pale gold color with a foamy white head head that leaves sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: not much there really, a bit of a corn-like smell to it I guess, nothing offensive though.

Taste: sort of a sweet, refreshing taste, very small metallic hint from the can, not as watery as some macros I've had but can't hold a candle to the better bears I drink when I'm not broke.

Mouthfeel: smooth and refreshing with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: very drinkable for those hot summer days when you need a nice refreshing brew that's not too heavy.

09-16-2008 02:57:04 | More by Otacon
TheLiterati

2.55/5  rDev -4.5%

How could I not review the first beer I ever had? Never mind the fact that it breaks every good beer rule my more mature and - I dare say - more sophisticated palate demands.

But it is what it is - and for some reason that I can't place, it's slightly less offensive than the other big macros on the block.

We hardly ever by beer in cans, but a case of this stuff found its way to my home and rather than toss it, I thought, why not chill it for these hot and humid days where anything heavier might be too much? It's also good for heavy chore days as well, when you want "a beer" but not a high ABV.

I think I need not describe the pour - specifically the color - as it retains the color consistency on the way out of your body as it has going in.

My allergies have been messing with my olfactory a bit, but really, there's not much of a discernable aroma, other than to say it smells slightly sweet with a tinny, metallic note from the can.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and light without quite being watery, but there's no body to this stuff to speak of. Still, it's not completely unpleasant, especially on a hot day like today (100-plus degrees).

The taste is reminiscent of what I think carbonated corn syrup might taste like. If there are any hops in there, I cannot detect them.

Miller High Life is drinkable in the same way that water is drinkable. I'm enjoying this serving with a very simple ham sammich and "classic" potato chips, and it's holding up well.

Really, it's not as awful as some macro lagers out there, though after this case is gone, I'm thinking my nostalgia for my earliest beer-drinking days will be over.

09-16-2008 00:37:49 | More by TheLiterati
Bockrules

New Mexico

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass - reviewed as a cheap macro

A - Pours a clear gold with many bubbles streaming to the top. Nice fluffy two finger head with good retention that stayed intact all the way down the glass - remarkable for a macro. Left behind beautiful lacing!!!
I'm speechless!!!

S - A weak sweet malty smell - needs to be stronger

T - Sweet up front. The body is void of any real flavor other than a mild sweetness riding on a hardly perceptible malt background. Finnish is dry and champagney with a tiny bit of bitterness. Not a lot here, but not many offensive adjuncts either.. Much better than many of the other macros on the market

M - Thin as water and highly carbonated - refreshing, but could stand to be thicker. The carbonation suits the beer well though.

D - This beer really does have some champaign characteristics to it which make it highly drinkable. Yeah, it's not a complex macro, but this a delicious and cheap beer to have at a BBQ, on a hot day after wrenching on cars, with mexican food or even to enjoy by itself when looking for something simple. This beer also has a tremendous amount of sedimental value to me - my great grandpa used to drink one a day until he died at 98. Every time I drink one, I think of him and feel pride. High life will always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge.

09-08-2008 06:49:51 | More by Bockrules
tangentrider

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Clear and golden, white head disappears, leaving no lacing. Aroma was nearly absent--not enough to describe. Flavor has no hop to speak of and not much malt. Thin and crispy thirst quencher, but I look for much more in a beer. Not the worst macro I've had; I probably won't have it again unless it's free, but it was worth the try.

09-08-2008 01:59:25 | More by tangentrider
woemad

Washington

2.08/5  rDev -22.1%

12oz can from a 30-pk purchased at a local grocery store for $13.99. Freshness date? Good one! "The Champagne of beers." Hmm.

Pours a clear, pale straw color. One inch of white foam perched on top of the beer for a surprisingly long time. Quite a lot of lace. It's not a beautiful looking beer, by any means, but I was expecting much worse.

Corny in the nose, with a faint whiff of Pepe Le Pew.

Not as skunky tasting as I thought it would be, but nothing seems to take it's place. It's like drinking a beer void. Good tasting, if you think bland is good.

Thin, watery mouthfeel. Nothing to see here, please move along.

Very drinkable, primarily because it doesn't seem to place any demands on the palate the way a beer with flavor would. While it tastes better than the Budweiser I recently drank, that's like saying a Gremlin was a better car than a Pacer - it could be true, but does anyone really care?

09-04-2008 01:12:52 | More by woemad
changeup45

1.43/5  rDev -46.4%

I can't believe I never reviewed this beer. I guess when you review one you feel like you've reviewed em all. This is a bad beer but considering it's competition I suppose you could do worse. Low quality corn, grain, rice, malty mix that doesn't taste very good. It's watery enough to make it go down without too much of a grimace. Barely drinkable and a notch above the pour-down-the-drain Beast level. It is cheap as hell so at least it's got that going for it.

08-28-2008 18:09:19 | More by changeup45
Stinkypuss

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%

A. Can. Fizzy yellow liquid with a bit of head and no stick.

S. Very very light here, some grains and not much else.

T. Well there is very little taste here. One of the most flavorless beers I have ever experienced. Some gritty grains, faint sweetness, carbonation and water is all I could notice.

M. Light and watery. Carbonated water.

D. I was able to get this down by just focusing on the fact it was cold. Though not any where near an award winner, its far better than Miller Light.

08-20-2008 11:50:47 | More by Stinkypuss
mattsg

An incredibly poor beer. When poured into a glass, the head transforms into a sort of soapy amalgam which adheres to the glass, sure, it's lacey, but not tasty. The overall mouthfeel resembles the likes of grain alcohol mixed with burnt corn kernels, along with a hint of sticky carbonation. I hate this beer. Then again, if I'm in the mood to live the high life, I'll bury a 12 pack of it and not bust my wallet.

08-19-2008 06:59:08 | More by mattsg
scottyshades

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%

I genuinely do not care for this beer at all...Firstly, it is bottled in clear glass (big no-no) but I guess it doesnt matter because the beer tastes the same either way. Secondly, it is priced the same as Natural Light (Im assuming its main competition)...Thirdly, it is THE clearest looking beer that I have ever seen...it looks like water with a drop of yellow food coloring! The taste is terrible, but better than Natty I guess..Overall this beer was made for college people with college budgets

08-16-2008 19:22:15 | More by scottyshades
maddogruss

1.95/5  rDev -27%

I finally broke down and bought this after seeing all those commercials on TV. Although I may qualify to be eligible for the "High Life," I don't know if I was not it anymore and I am kind of sad I have 5 more left.

A: Pours a clear, golden body with a surprisingly white, relatively nice head with ok retention and decent lacing.

S: A sour, bitter vomit smell that was quite disgusting. I almost dumped it just based on the smell alone.

T: Tastes like sweet corn with some rice notes. Somewhat maltiness, but soon recedes to a taste of nothingness. Not impressed at all with the High Life so far.

M: Ok mouthfeel, but definitely seems like it was artificially carbonated. Reminded me of seltzer water with a golden hue.

D: ok drinkability, but nothing too impressive. Mouthfeel was average at best and the taste was a bit below that. If given the chance, I would probably pass on this one unless I was looking to get bombed.

In agreement with the guy on the commercial, charging $13 a bottle for this is clearly overpriced and exorbitant. Charging $4 for the six pack I bought might be pushing it as well.

08-12-2008 20:38:04 | More by maddogruss
Stonebreaker

2.58/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow beer.

Smell: Spinach? and corn.

Taste: Sweet Corn, kiss of the hops in the finish, just a touch.

Mouthfeel: Weak.

Drinkability: The first taste taken after a Sierra Nevada harvest ale, was too sweet to bear, towards the end I can do this, but if I'm drinking beer of this 'caliber' I'll probably stick with Pabst or Old Style both being cheaper and slightly less sweet, and close to my heart for sentimental reasons.

08-02-2008 22:49:22 | More by Stonebreaker
PatrickJR

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Very nice looking for a macro. Pale clear yellow. Two fingers of head hang arond for a while before falling to a thin white cap. Quite a bit of lacing.

S - Lots of cereal grain, with a strange rubber-like undertone. Vague citrus.

T - Boring, same old grain. Slight sour/bitter taste from the hops in the finish, but nothing more.

M - Fizzy. Light bodied.

D - Miller High Life isn't too bad as far as macros go; I think it's much better from the can than bottle. Still, I'd reach for another American stuff first.

08-01-2008 07:38:00 | More by PatrickJR
kinger

2.23/5  rDev -16.5%

This is not my first choice when it comes to the classic american pale lagers but I do get the itch every once in a while. Yesterday my friend brought over a 12 pack of bottles for the Fiesta Bowl and after drinking a few porters I made the switch. I had two of these beauties right out of the bottle, they were cold, refreshing, and delicious! The key to the high life for me is to stop after two or three.

07-29-2008 19:15:05 | More by kinger
klintok21

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

Very cheap beer, but a fair taste. Personally I prefer low-carbonation drinks and this is one of my top-picks as a cheap alternative (if your looking for super cheap think Busch or Natural Light- but I don't like the amount of carbonation) . However this is another beer that I think has almost no alcohol content. However b/c of the super low price tag, it is a top pick as, hey, beer is beer when you really really want one!

07-24-2008 04:53:12 | More by klintok21
collegemate

3.9/5  rDev +46.1%

Bought a 12 pack at local convenient mart.

Appearance: golden color with a nice amount of foam head.

Smell: Like any beer, amazing

Taste: Light hop taste, although a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Bitter

Drinkability: Goes down easy, great aftertaste. Can easily drink a case.

This is by far the best American macro lager that I have ever had!

07-22-2008 22:55:02 | More by collegemate
ommegoose

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

This is a pretty nice looking lager. A bit shinier and brighter gold than the average lager. Lots of active carbonation streams. Head retention is pretty good to start with, and it doesn't disappear after a few sips either. Leaves some lacing here and there too, and actually by the end there's a full sheet all the way down the back of the glass.

Not a whole lot of aroma when served cold. Just some crisp graininess. Smells fresh, not musty, and there are no forward metallic or adjuncty notes. You get more out of some other lagers, but this is suitable.

Flavor is crisp and clean with just a touch of hop bite at the end. Finishes with some sweetness, but is pleasantly dry. Corn starts to creep in a bit when the beer warms. Simple but effective.

Carbonation is pretty soft, leading to a somewhat creamy beer. This beer feels rather light in the mouth, but I always found it rather filling in the stomach. I could never really load up on these.

Drinkability is good. I've had these lots of times, but usually not with a critical eye. I'm pleased with how palatable this is. For one of the cheapest beers you can find, this still beats most of the other macros. It's refreshing. Amongst the best "bad" beers for sure. It's going to score better for me than PBR, but mainly due to the surprisingly strong appearance. PBR smells a bit nicer, and the other differences are pretty marginal. We'll see if Schlitz can topple it later.

07-22-2008 06:09:10 | More by ommegoose
imaguitargod

1.35/5  rDev -49.4%

Well, I didn't have much money for this week so I though I would pick up a 12 pack of canned, yellow fizzy stuff for $6.99 just to last me the week. They call this "The Champagne of Beers" apparently due to the unusually high amount of carbonation and lack of taste.

Pours to a HUGE head that just sat there for a good few minutes before subsiding. The taste on this is...ummm...hmmm...taste....can you really adequately describe the taste of water? This tastes just like that. Yet, worse somehow. This "beer" is the true definition of "yellow fizzy stuff".

07-21-2008 17:44:03 | More by imaguitargod
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev +27.3%

Drank this in a can cuz friends bought it.

A- Looks like a pretty nice can with clear, corn-colored liquid in it

S- Smells like a macro, adjuncts and fillers, but acceptable

T- Tastes OK with not much taste but what you do taste is not offensive

M- Feels quite good with not too many small bubbles and a watery body

D- Drinks great for a 5%ABV

07-18-2008 06:48:02 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
Reagan1984

2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

A buddy brought a couple of these over "in case some of the guys would not like real beer." His words, not mine.

I'm not sure I've ever had one, but this is a perfect opportunity to try one

The beer poured with a wispy white head that never really reached a finger in width. Bright, clear gold in color with a good bit of visible carbonation. There was a scant touch of lacing left behind in the glass.

Aroma was slightly sour or perhaps musty. Didn't really appeal to me.

Taste was slightly biscuit like and also slight sour. The beer did finish pretty smoothly and there was a non descript taste left in the back of my mouth. Wasn't a bready like aftertaste. Was not a lingering hop flavor. This aftertaste was slightly sweet and not really appealing.

Mouth feel was very light and the carbonation was pretty aggressive. I think it's the only thing that brought the flavor to life.

Not that good. But I think most people already know that.

07-15-2008 21:24:18 | More by Reagan1984
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.