Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a clear golden head with minimal head,
S- Not really much to the smell of this one, a bit of corn and malt but that is stretching it.
T- I don't taste much except maybe some corn and a little bit of malt if that. This is made to be drank and not tasted.
M- Very light bodied and highly carbonated, I do find myself enjoying the carbonation, bascially the only thing keeps me drinking this beer.
D- A macro session beer that I drink a lot of when I have nothing else to drink, literally, like in certain parts of Iowa and Oklahoma.

Wisconsinality, Sep 07, 2009

A - Very yellow straw color. White foamy head that actually has some retention and some lacing

S - Cheap grains, grassy

T - Pretty average, but not bad. No real hops flavor, and pretty much all grains flavors, but nothing offensive. Kind of an odd dry aftertaste though.

M - pretty watery, despite a good level of carbonation, just very light bodied

D - Very drinkable, like all macros

Really not a bad macro, very cheap and has a bad reputation, but not bad. Probably the best thing miller makes.

cottonkoozie, Sep 06, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a light, clear golden with moderate white head. Letting the beer breath and warm in the lager pint glass. Head dininishes to thin but foamy layer with moderate lacing.

Aroma of grass, grains, mostly corn. Pull date of Sept 28 on 32 oz can - they did not have ponies :( Slightly sweet taste with hint of light malt. Little or no hop presence. Drinking at probably 40-45 degrees, bringing out any flavor it has. Light to medium body with fairly pleasant taste, not skunky thank you!

Finish is slightly sweet with decent amount of bitterness. - CHEERS to life!

OzarkElmo, Sep 06, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +24.7%

I poured this from a 12 ounce bottle into a mug. It is yellow in color with very good clarity and a thin white head that actually retained pretty well throughout the drink.

The smell was of grain. It amazes me how strongly the sense of smell is linked to memory. It brought back allot of random memories from my college days.

The taste is pretty good. It has a hint of corn in the taste and no hops. It is smooth and very drinkable when you are in the mood. It is a pretty good beer for a hot day.

greengorilla, Sep 01, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

Bar hopping in downtown Stillwater on a Wednesday night. Brine's has $1 High Life's. I've had this way too many times before and finally got around to reviewing it.

Served in a standard unmarked pint glass, has the typical watery clear golden macro color. Lively carbonation and served with a small white head, that shrank to a small ring and eventually disappeared altogether.

The nose is distinctly grains and corn, possibly some other adjuncts. It's strange how as your palate develops you can pick up on things in even the cheapest of beers.

The taste, albeit very watery, isn't all that bad. For a Miller Brewing Co. macro, it's not the worst beer they have made. Crisp and clean, with very little taste.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp from the lively carbonation. Drinkability isn't very high, surprisingly, considering the lack of taste.

For $1, you could do a lot worse. I'm not complaining. As far as macros go, this is near the top.

Mistofminn, Aug 28, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Exceptionally clear, bright yellow beer with a big fluffy white head that settled rapidly. Some lacing remains.

Not much smell; actually a bit of unpleasant skunky aroma was about all.

Very bland taste. Pretty much what I expect from a macro-lager. A tiny amount of bitterness and hop flavor along with some residual spicy sweetness. Finishes with a bit of maltiness.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy but watery. Quite drinkable in a post-lawn mowing sort of way.

A well-made but not particularly noteworthy beer.

joedon, Aug 27, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a crisp white had, leaving a fair amount of lacing.
Smell is of corn
Taste is smooth! A little sweet corn like. Make sure it's ice cold though. Very noticeable carbonation.

One of the few macros that does not give me a hangover or worse. I like the taste, and I like the price tag. As it's been said before it's great on a hot day or for when you just don't know what kind of beer you want, maybe some normal clear beer.
My favorite style of beers are Pale Ales, Porters, and Belgian Triples, but I'm always gonna have a place in my belly for this beer.

weissbierdrinker, Aug 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

Fell victim to a spur of the moment purchase this day. A 24 oz. can of Miller High Life. Amazingly I have pretty much avoided this beer entirely for my whole life, only seeing those clear bottles consumed by old men in smoky bars.

Pours a light straw and quite clear into a pint glass. A half inch of bright white head settles softly and leaves a fair amount of lacing initially, but flattening out a bit too quickly.

Quite grainy on the nose though primarily of raw barley vs. other adjuncts. Opens up to offer some sweet citric hop notes taking turns with a vegetal metallic nature. Sweeter than expected on the tongue and with a lemony orange finish. Texture anticipated from the smell doesn't materialize. Average feel but drink is limited due to the carbonation reducing too quickly and what might become a one dimensional sweetness on the finish.

HalfFull, Aug 21, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +18%

A - had it at a car show, the crowd loved the golden blonde beer, but something tells me it was for looks.
S - smells like my pug in the morning after I slipped her a few fries, not pleasant.
T - the first one goes down like rocks, the 4th and 5th like apple juice, and the 18th has a tinge of blood because you know you just got in a fight popping off about some guys rust bucket of a car.
M - full bodied bad breath.
D - i love high life, who doesn't, it's $5.99 a 12-pack, and you know when you pick some up that you have a devlish grin on your face because in a few hours you will say something stupid and piss off your wife, the perfect dad's beer.

chickencoop, Aug 20, 2009

pours watery pale clear golden with a 1 finger head that leaves no lacing

smells of sweet corn about it

taste is up there with te better macros - still too sweet with the corn and no real hops

mouthfeel is light but some how it coats and is sticky

drinkability is so so - still if i go macro i want a stag

jsh420, Aug 20, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

From a 16 oz. can. Pours a pale, clear yellow with a 1/2 inch head. Not much aroma, some hints of corn. Taste is crisp, mild, some corn is present, a slight bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall is an easy drinking beer, great for beer games, otherwise very mediocre.

tone77, Aug 10, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass. Plenty of head with sticky foam on the side of the glass. This beer has plenty of carbonation that even after a few minutes is giving off bubbles. Strong smell of corn. Yeasty smell. Everything you would come to expect of a inexpensive lagar. On a hot day this is very refreshing.

mtnbikerpa, Aug 10, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +46.1%

This is the beer that started it all for me. My first beer in high school. maybe i have a sweet spot for it, but if i'm out playing horseshoes with the boys or in the need of something refreshing after a hot day at work. this is where i go for a cheap refreshing beer. not much for the other light flavored beers. don't get me wrong if you hand me one i won't turn it down, but this is my go to for a cool off after work!

ditch, Aug 07, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +61%

As far as Miller goes, high life is my favorite of them all. Maybe my favorite macro lager. I just love the effervescence when drank straight from the bottle. This is the champagne of beers, of course behind la fin du monde.

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A- golden, clear, very bubbly, minimal head retention. No lacing. Bright white foam.

S- a smell like corn. i can discern no hops. a very macro smell if you can dig it.

T- a medical like taste, or metallic taste. I would think the medical taste refers to pheynols but i wouldnt call this beer phenolic. a grainy taste, though adjuct they are.

M- this is one of the reasons i turn to high life. crisp and effervescent. light and refreshing. I could do the miller high life commercial. It is just light and crisp.

D- This is one of the most sessionable beers i have ever had. I would rather session with SNPA but if i havent the cash-money, i will turn to my friend mr 3.29 a sixer.

I rate beer according to style and this being my fav macro lager it gets an A.

if you dont agree i dont care. Beer advocate would be nothing if all we did was bash macro lagers.

SpencerSauce, Aug 07, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Okay, not gonna lie, I'm making this my 20th review so that I can add a beer that I'd really like to give a review and also because I had enough of these in the days that I might owe it to the champagne of beers as well...

Appearance- Pours the usual shade of macro golden/straw yellow, though to be honest, you don't really need to pour it given the clear bottle which gives you a nice view and increases the skunky flavor. However, gotta give it some extra points for a fairly sizeable head that dies fairly quickly, but is much more impressive than many other macro lagers.

Smell- To be honest, not very offensive, but very little going on here. Smells of the faintest bit of grain and corn.

Taste- Pretty much carbonated water. I find this to be less offensive then many other macro lagers (see my Natty review...) without too many offputting tastes. However, really all I detect aside from the wateriness is a slight bit of grain, a bit of adjunct, and a touch of skunk. Not great, but not the worst.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Very very thin and highly carbonated. Again...like carbonated water. Given the thin mouthfeel and not too terribly offensive flavor, could probably kick back a few of these if I had to but would prefer not to. Overcarbonation however, does hurt drinkability a bit.

Overall, not the worst macro lager, but by no means my favorite. Don't intend to drink much more of this in the future, but certainly served its purpose in the past.

boatshoes, Jul 28, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -5.2%

Drank straight from bottle.

A- Very bright yellow with a bright white 1/4 head that stayed

S- There is no real smell to this. Barley perhaps, no hops.

T- Mostly just a mild grain flavor

M- Light, mild carbonation

D- Depends. Not a great beer, but not offensive. On a hot July Nashville day its seems pretty good though.

Misfit138, Jul 27, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours a light yellow color with little to no head. What is present of a head gives way quickly. The aroma is of a slight corn but not really anything to the aroma. The taste is watery but of slight grains. The mouthfeel is fizzy and slightly over carbonated. Overall it is a beer you would have one of and quit, it is very simplistic and doesn't have very much character to it.

goblue3509, Jul 22, 2009
1.83/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I have a good appreciation for more affordable beers, but this one I just can't seem to stomach. The term "swill" comes o mind. I'm shocked that this brew received such a high rating.

A- Appearance is not awful but nothing impressive, slight head vanishes when poured...dark yellow color.

S- Not really discernable from a number of adjuncts that are superior in every other facet.

T- I've never said this about any other beer, but the taste is terrible. I give it a 1.5 only because there is a faint possibiliy tha something out there may be worse. I've tried on many occasions to enjoy this beer, but to no avail. Slightly sour for some reason, and sweet likewise. Honestly tastes like the ingredients are rotten.

M- Not terrible, just light and over-carbonated when (not) enjoyed straight from the can.

D- None. I finished the can because I do not pur beer, even awful beer.

lweaver18240, Jul 19, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -53.2%

A: Fizzy. Yellow. Bubbly head dissipates quickly. Seriously, I poured this thing less than 30 seconds ago, and it's about halfway gone. A little bit of fizz sticks around on top an leaves some light lacing.

S: Corn and vomit. I'm not kidding. This stuff actually smells like vomit. But at least it smells like vomit that's cut with corn.

T: Lots of corn. Lots of water. Tastes a little metallic. Puzzling since I'm not drinking it from a can. Sort of gets this nasty spoiled grain taste as it warms a bit. I can't taste any hops to speak of, but I assume that since this is technically able to be sold as beer, they're there. Drink this ice cold. And fast if you can choke it down.

M: Sort of fizzy and thin, but not awful. This is the best thing about this beer.

D: This beer is so gross I can only drink one of them before wanting to move on to something a bit nicer to wash the taste of it out of my mouth.

I'm generally not one to trash a beer this thoroughly, but this might be one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I figured it'd be inoffensive enough on a hot summer day, but I was wrong. Should've stuck to Pabst.

electricfields, Jul 19, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

This beer has a very pale brass color with a lot of carbonation to the body. It is very clear. It actually has a real nice thick head that settles to a moderate head with some staying power. It has a very weird fizzy white lace. It has a very grainy adjunct aroma. It has a watery body with some carbonation bite. The flavor has some mild hops but it has a lot of corny tones.

MTNboy, Jul 15, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

A can poured into a glass at a party.

A- Kinda looks like champagne I guess. Out of the can it looks like colored water with a pale gold/yellow liquid. 1 & 1/2 inch frothy semi loose vanilla white head. Good stick that expands off the glass.

S- A pleasent macro smell, expecting corn i'm met with light pale malt. There is some corn here though. No hop presense even though it's in there somewhere. I pick up some sweet sugar. Not much to smell but this does not make me cringe.

T- Some earthiness in here surprisingly. A malt forward quaff, but it's not in OE territory. The malt gives off light toasted bread. The hops dont come forward, rather they just work well with the other ingredients giving off a pleasent taste.

M- Not bitter at all and slightly sweet towards the finish. Two steps above light bodied with a good amount of carb felt under the tounge. This is better cold, looses it's appeal as it warms. Goes down smooth, not rough at all.

D- I always seem to enjoy macro's a bit more out of a can vs a bottle. I drank three cans of this easily without a hitch, and it was just what I needed on this hot summer day. I've had this out of a bottle and could not finish it, so there is that.

BARFLYB, Jul 12, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +26.6%

this beer taste great and is a fair price i like it more than coors and ect.
A: poured into liter mug nice pale golden color with large fast going head with large bubbles
S: nothin much really little breadyness but mostly corn notes
T: corn taste up front with a drying lingering cornieness but not bad at all i like this taste myself
M: light watery very fizzy
D: this beer is my favorite to drink on a hot day just cause its a classic beer that you cant beat for its price

hockeyhead, Jul 11, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Golden and clear but pretty pale. It also had a very small head.

Smell: Not much going on here. Maybe a little bit of hops, but nothing overpowering.

Taste: While it had a very smooth finish, it was pretty bland.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery. Nothing really to report here.

Drinkability: This might be good with food at a barbecue or something, but it's nothing special.

civilizedpsycho, Jul 09, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Same clear straw color as all the others, but decent white head and very slight lacing on this one puts it slightly above average.

S- Smells like metallic corn. Only slightly metallic, however, so the corn syrup takes over. Pretty strong too.

T- Corn and bread. That's all. Strong, however, putting it up there with Bud.

M- Soda, although slightly less carbonated than other macros.

D- Good drinking game/sporting event/BBQ beer.

LordAdmNelson, Jul 09, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +33%

This beer gives great head and is about as fizzy as any I have drunk, drank, whatever. Not a complex brew and is easy to drink. Reminds me of my misspent youth. And the price has seemed to go up much since then. This is still my first choice among the cheap beers.

utah44, Jul 08, 2009
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.