Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros

Had this when we ran out of beer during a party at a family member's.

Appearance: Transparent yellow, reminiscent of piss.

Smell: Corn, carbonated water.

Taste: Nothing. This was just off water it was so week. This was pretty much the low point of the drinking experience.

Mouthfeel: Nothing special, may as well have been club soda

I have always subscribed to the "respect beer" theory but this one makes it hard. I can respect craft brewers who put work into their beers but this isn't that. This is mildly alcoholic water with the single purpose of being drank with a funnel and hose.

3.06/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Miller High Life is one of my go to beers for a cheap, enjoyable drink. It's always a solid drink, even if it's nothing special at all.

Serving Type: 40oz bottles are my usual, I'll pick up one for $2 and start my night off right.

Appearance: It's a rather lovely golden color, even if it's a little thin looking sometimes. It's really a nice color, though, and it lets you know that you're in for a nice drink. No real head or lace to speak of, but that's to be expected.

Smell: There's not a very distinct aroma to High Life. Not hoppy smelling, a hint of corn, not much else.

Taste: I'll admit, I like the easy drinkability of High Life so much that I'm willing to go a bit on the higher scoring taste side. It's an endlessly drinkable, well-carbonated drink. Smooth and enjoyable, no huge distinct flavor apart from a bit of sweetness (corn?).

Mouthfeel: Think and indistinct. Nothing big to report, just gulp it down and enjoy the smooth.

Overall: This is a great go-to beer, especially considering the price. Under $20 for a 30 rack, $2 for a 40oz, and a solid, enjoyable drink every time? I don't only go to High Life because it's cheap, though. I really do enjoy drinking this beer. Anyone looking for a nice, solid everyday drinkable beer will enjoy High Life, and chances are, they probably already do.

3.38/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this is a CANtastic beer! No, actually, for the style, it's pretty tasty. 12oz into pint glass.

A- Light, innocuous, textbook macro pour. Pretty large head, but it dissapears in the blink of an eye. Mild lace, good for the style I guess.

S- Grainy, starchy, unoffensive and faint.

T- Sweet grainy fruityness washed away by an avalanche of scrubbing bubbles. Beer-y, but not too bad. No cooked veggies (a big plus!). Beer does not taste 'stale', either, which is a common complaint I have when drinking macros.

M- high carbonation leaves this 'champagne of beers' with a nice finish- anything that you don't like about the taste is off the tongue quick enough.

O- Contains less off-flavors than many of its counterparts, this is a macro that drinks very easy. Perfect hot-weather beer to grab out of an ice-cold cooler. I will always reach for a 'gansett before this one, but the high life'll do ya good in a pinch.

3.06/5  rDev +14.6%

Before I got into different types of beer this is pretty much what I drank. Pours golden, as you can see through the clear bottle. White froth head. Fairly good amount of carbonation. Not much to taste. I guess sometimes you could taste an apple sorta taste, but not much taste wise, just tastes like generic beer to me. Something if I was to drink a lot, I'll get this. Very drinkable. It's not bad at all.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%

Pint can from my dad at the first bbq of the spring.

Appearance. Pours a light yellow with two fingers of fluffy white head that doesn`t last too long.

Smell. Light grains, corn, a little alcohol and a hint of grassy hops.

Taste. Sweet light grain, some light fruit and a hint of grassy hops in the end. Everything except the sweetness is pretty weak.

Mouthfeel. Light body and medium carbonation with a little alcohol presence. Thin and crisp but feels like a low quality beer.

Overall. Tried to be objective here but there just isn`t much to this beer. Just sweet and bubbly.

3.08/5  rDev +15.4%

As a college student, it is my job to find a cheap beer that doesn't taste like puked piss. This just may be the best it gets.

A- ya know, it actually looks pretty decent. It's golden color looks a bit watery, but it's fairly acceptable.

S- Fairly malty. If you've ever had Bud or Coors Banquet, it will be pretty familiar (though slightly different)

T- A bit watery, but as is to be expected. Similar to Coors Ban, but without some of the grossness.

M- The champagne of beers does indeed live up to it's name, as it is pleasantly carbonated. Again, a bit watery.

D- Decently drinkable. Of course, more so if one has had three already.

I actually would probably buy this again. That score is on the upper side of average.

3.99/5  rDev +49.4%

Miller Highlife always seems to find its way into my fridge. I do love all types and styles of beer, craft and mass produced. Highlife is a beer I go for time and time again on common days. It is very easy drinking. I must say I agree with what I remember an Uncle saying long ago when I was just a young college student. He said "Miller Highlife is probably the most beautiful looking beers of its type." I still agree, I catch myself gazing at it's golden color and slow moving little bubbles dancing around while I sip it in the Florida sunlight. This beer has a nice crisp start and a soft light alcohol finish. I also taste hints of sweet bread flavors. It also has a better lace on the glass than most of it's competitors. This is a favorite of mine while out fishing or working in the yard.

3.9/5  rDev +46.1%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.

3.47/5  rDev +30%

A- Picked up a 12 pack of this while in Montana, as I like MGD, so thought I'd give this a try. The bottles are clear, which I don't necessarily like so much but oh well....old school look to the bottle anyways. Color is a shade better than straw, is very clear and there's lots of champagne like bubbles rising...probably why it's called the champagne of beers....typical of a macro lager however. The head actually sticks around for awhile, settling to a thin-ish layer over the liquied. Lacing is excellent, with lots of sticky, albeit stringy looking foam collecting along the glass...this does get much better as the drink winds down in the glass...more of a foamy film. Probably the best looking macro lager I've come across so far!

S- This area always seems to need work as far as Miller is concerned. The aromas are of general cooked corn, modest malt, and dry raw barley kernels. The finish contains some mild synthetic smelling hops. It's nothing to write home about, that's for sure!

T- If I have to compare this to anything, this is a rawer version of what MGD is....which is good IMO. The malt is there, if not a little bit cloying in the sweetness. The adjuncty corn really comes through towards the finish, along with some biscuit qualities. The actual finish has some well hidden, but noticeable nonetheless, hop bitterness. The overall flavor is decent for a macro!

M- This is a clean and crisp lager, yet still retains a mellow smoothness that makes this feel more medium bodied than thin. Seems to look the part as well, body wise.

D- What do I feel this beer is? It's a better version of MGD, IMO. The flavor is a little more prominent and it is very easy drinking...I wish this was in Canada....I would love to enjoy this all evening or at the pub! Great for beginner beer drinker but also great for a discerning BA that wants something cheap, yet flavorful.

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

ST: 12oz can with freshness date on the bottom poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Clear gold with very slow and small bubbles, Miller High Life has a thick marshmallow white head that leaves a streak almost solid line of lacing around the glass and down the glass as it is consumed.

S: Some bread and citrus from hops.

T: The hops barely make an appearance. This beer is dominated by mild corn sweetness, with a slight metallic taste on the finish.

M: Slightly watery with a few instances of creaminess. Dry upfront and towards the finish.

D: Standard ABV and, though not complex, Miller High Life does offer some flavor. I am on a search for a decent (and cheap) light beer I can give to friends who are not into microbrews (and also one that I can drink myself).

4.33/5  rDev +62.2%

I want to place two thoughts into consideration. Let's compare macro brews with other macro brews. Let's also consider that union brewed beer produces family wage jobs which are more important than ever today. I like to think that my enjoyment of this beer is good for our economy. Miller High Life should be considered a "Classic Beer" with these considerations. The head is unique for macro brews. The creamy mouth feel can seem luxurious when only a lighter beer will satisfy my dry. The taste is consistently good for this style no matter how many glasses you drain. Along with PBR it is truly the working persons (or students) best option if you like to have six or more at a time without blowing out the budget and you want something that is refreshing and tastes good. I am very thankful that Miller High Life is still available at a reasonably low cost. This is known as "The High Life" for those of us who like to drink beer frequently within our budget. I envy anyone who can afford to do this with micro brews. I am willing to label Miller High Life as the champagne of beer for the common person. It deserves a lot of respect for this reason in comparison with other beers in it's class.

2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

A: pours a bright golden color with a tight super white head..about a finger & a half worth. Lots of bubbles streaming up..

S: sweetness.. cooked corn with some grain. Slightly metallic but nothing too offensive..

T: again sweetness upfront.. more cooked corn with a slight grain/metallicness.. finish is clean nonetheless..

Mf: thin bodied with a higher than medium carbonation level..
Crisp finish..

D: pretty easy to drink.. lacks taste but still very quaffable.

1.35/5  rDev -49.4%

This beer made me physically ill...I know its on the cheaper end, but given the poor quality i still felt ripped off.

The appearance is a light shade of bum-urine.

Smell is of stagnant water and hops, or whatever they scraped off the brewery floor.

What can i say about the taste? there is none to speak of, it was a chore to get this shit down my throat.

Mouthfeel was extremely watered down as i expected,i can't imagine the type of people that enjoy this.

This beer is un-drinkable in every way,but im sure there's some man/woman out there driving down the road, singing along to ac/dc, waving their welfare check out the window, that can't wait to get some.

1.34/5  rDev -49.8%

Well this was a disappointment. I enjoy the Miller Genuine Draft and saw this (The Champagne of beers).

I now know that Champagne of beers is another way of saying, all the left over crap in the brewery mixed into an attractive bottle.

I think the taste would be the same as drinking diluted rubbing alcohol.

On the bright side this beer is inexpensive.

2.96/5  rDev +10.9%

A- Bubbly, just like the "champagne of beer" should be. The color is a very light golden yellow.

S- Not very appetizing to me. Very corny and grainy.

T- Slightly bitter but very smooth. Little bit of a hop taste that is pleasant.

M- Very carbonated. Almost like a soda. Not in a bad way. I find it enjoyable.

D- Very drinkable. This is my party beer. Cheap enough to buy in bulk and drinkable enough to go all night.

3.01/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

24 oz. can poured into a mug. I paid $2 for the can. Woo!

Appearance: A vigorous pour produced a big, fluffy, 3-finger head of bone-white foam which died down over time to a cap of white and left occasional spots of lacing. The body is a familiar straw golden color with evident carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass. Doesn't look half bad for a macro lager.

Smell: About normal for a beer of this type. Earthy corn husks blend with a little bit of fruity sweetness from the malt and some very subtle earthy hops. This beer has a little more power behind the smell than most other adjunct lagers I've tried and is a little cleaner overall. Pretty average "beer smell," but this one has a bit more presence. There's still this weird metallic funk lingering in the background, though.

Taste: Clean, refreshing sweetness from the corn and hints of malt is what comes out at first, and this is balanced by a very clean and earthy bite of hops in the finish. Not too bad, overall. I'm actually kind of impressed by this beer. Fairly balanced overall, and a little more robust in flavor than many of the other run-of-the-mill macros, especially light beers. Very easy to drink, although it gets a little harder as the beer warms and more sweetness emerges. Virtually no aftertaste, very clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Again, very clean and crisp. This beer lends itself to being refreshing. There's virtually nothing in the finish as far as flavor goes. The body is not too thin or watery and is much less carbonated than other big name lagers out there. Nothing to write home about, but nothing bad either. Pretty standard across the board.

Drinkability: I could see this as a go-to for cheap beer. Certainly not something I would want to drink on a regular basis, but for what it is, it's not bad. This will become one of my "fall back" beers besides PBR. Refreshing, crisp, and dirt cheap. Sounds like a plan to me. Probably one of the best bets if you absolutely have to pick a beer from the "Big Three."

2.56/5  rDev -4.1%

Pouring gives you about one finger of head, which sticks around for a fair amount of time. Smells dry and a little musty, there's some sweetness in there also. High Life's flavor is dry and a slightly bitter, I taste corn and something leafy. This isn't the first beer I'd grab from the MBC section, but it'll do in a pinch.

2.69/5  rDev +0.7%

A- very bubbly, golden straw color with a fluffy white head.

S- corn, rice, not much here

T- smooth, refreshing and an easy drinker

M- watery, no funky tastes. Crisp feeling that doesnt linger.

D- this is my favorite party beer, i can drink a lot of it and do.

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a pale golden color with a decent head that lasted the majority of the beer, with minor lacing.

S- A very clean smelling beer with a faint corn/grain scent to it.

T- A very crisp taste with a light body. Mild bitterness with again a faint corn scent to it. Mild malt and hop tastes present.

M- Highly carbonated yet exceptionally smooth. The beer is very light and easy to drink.

D- Very easy to drink as the taste is mild and unoffensive. This is the perfect cheap beer to drink a lot of. Good for a sports game, party, or after working outside. It can only be enjoyed if it ice cold. Truly the champagne of discount beers.

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Pours a pale straw yellow. Two finger width head that actually lingers for a bit. Minimal lacing.

S: Grainy malt along with the usual adjunct lager corny smell. Faint scents of citrus as well.

T: Grainy along with subtle citrus (mostly lemony) notes.

M: Light to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation and a smooth finish.

D: Drinkability is a high point. Very nice.

Passing grade for the High Life.

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%

The box champagne of beers
___

A: Yellow tinted water with a one finger foamy white head that was gone in under 2 minutes.

S: A bit of dry malt, some metallic adjunct funk, and that's about it.

T: Quite dry biscuity malt, metal, and almost no hops at all... extremely light on flavor, but considering the source, it's kind of a blessing.

M: Extremely carbonated... I can see why they call it 'The Champagne of Beers', well, the box champagne of beers anyway.

D: Actually quite refreshing in a shitty way.

NOTE: THIS WAS A "HEAD TO HEAD" CAGE FIGHT BETWEEN ROLLING ROCK, SCHLITZ, HIGH LIFE, AND BUDWEISER. THIS IS INTENDED TO BE THE FIRST ROUND OF CLASSIC "ECONOMY" CLASS AMERICAN BEERS. THESE NOTES WILL BE IDENTICAL FOR ALL 4 BEERS, SO RATING ACCORDING TO PERCENTAGE OF POINTS IS IMPOSSIBLE; I GAVE THEM ALL "Average" BECAUSE THE WEBSITE MANDATES A NUMERICAL RATING.

appearance:

Rolling Rock is the palest (by a fraction) of all of the beers, which is not necessarily appetizing; the darkest is actually High Life, which is a shock, but the range is so small that I would call these nearly identical in color. Bubbles look most appetizing in Shlitz, which is actually the most champagne looking in bubble structure. Take that High Life! Budweiser is perhaps the most elegant with the velvety head that is retained better than those of all of the others. After a few minutes, RR and Schlitz heads have faded to amorphous, perhaps pangea-like shapes -- HL and Bud have wall-to-wall carpets of (thin) foam. Overall, with bubbles and head accounted for, High Life is winner in appearance.

aroma: RR has a cidery note on the first big whiff; pleasant; Schlitz is marked by a yeastier, older smell; not bad, but RR was fresher and nicer smelling; High Life is subtle enough to almost be imperceptibe yeast if anything; Budweiser impresses with a melon-like freshness; whats the deal? It smells good. On second whiff RR is more pickle-like than cider like -- not as good; Schlitz still yeasty on second snort, with some malt; HL has some less pleasant yeast smells coming through; Budweiser yet again shocks with a very nice fresh smell, with a bit of funk from something in there. Overall, Bud wins the aroma challenge.

taste: (all tastings were separated by Bravo pizza, which is the most appropriate palate cleanse for this that I can imagine.

RR tastes like water with a splash of melon juice, carbonation, some malt, and yeast; Schlitz has a bit more going on; slightly bigger flavor, slightly more pronounced malt; no melon; less watery; better than RR; HL exemplifies the amazing power of american bulk lager makers to make beer that tastes like more than carbonated water but still not like much of anything -- better than RR, but that could be a mouthfeel issue; like all so far, finishes clean, maybe with some corn note and a thin gossamer of bitterness; Budweiser has a bit of malt and corn noticeable, but nothing wild by comparison; this competition seems less a competition of flavor than a competition of body and mouthfeel; second gulps (big ones) verify the melon lightness of RR; Schlitz is a bit more corny on the second time around, and maybe a tiny hop flower present; High Life still evades capture by my power of description; Budweiser ringing a bit buttery/watery oak this time. Overall, although this defies my theory, Rolling Rock seems to be the winner on taste. There is actually something intriguing about the freshness an fruitiness of it; it is enough to make me wonder what was in the glass last, or if my soap tastes like fruit, but I really think this glass was good to go. Budweiser second. Schlitz third. High Life 4th. Bear in mind that none of these beers is putting others to shame in any category so far; this is a near tie. Maybe only Jackson or Parker's tongue could rank these, because mine is struggling. For the record, they all do have some hops in them as the bitterness is ringing now. And I'm basically 10 minutes into a power hour, so I'll get to mouthfeel ASAP.

Mouthfeel: Schlitz struck me through all of these tastes as having the most pleasant mouthfeel, but I'll test one more time: At this point, after sitting out for just a few minutes, Schlitz is struggling to retain carbonation at all, which is why it felt pleasantly dense at the beginning. This is a noticeable problem for Schlitz -- there is no lacing on the glass whatsoever; it is the most dead looking of all the beers BY FAR. Rolling Rock and High Life look tastiest in terms of foam now, and that matters for mouthfeel. Rolling Rock and Bud are doing the best at retaining carbonation. Schlitz is truly almost flat. High Life is struggling to taste and feel as though it should be drunk and not left as a wounded soldier.

JUDGEMENT: I am suprised to say that with everything taken into account, if I were to go to the store to buy an 18 pack, I would buy Rolling Rock. Let that speak for itself. But let it be known that not everything comes in 18 packs, and that might change things. So let me say that if I were to buy a loose beer again out of these 4, it would be a Rolling Rock.

Congratulations Rolling Rock; you have survived this round of economy class beer competition.

3.06/5  rDev +14.6%

Out of all the big Miller label brands I like High life the best. But no beer belongs in clear bottle and the last few sips of a can of this beer always taste like a rubber tire.

Like many big American brands the recipe has been altered and cheapened. For me a beer tastes cheap when it has lousy small and aftertaste, High life is ok, but nothing to right home about.

I remember drinking it twenty years ago, it was a better beer, not the same recipe as they cheapened it, to put it in a lower price category.

2.79/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Plain piss looking with very light bubbly foam. Looks like something you'd see in the public restroom.

S - Sweet with a tinge of metallic aroma.

T - Slightly sweet with a bland and metallic aftertaste.

M - Slightly acidic, bitter, and spritey.

D - You can drink this all night. It has no heaviness to it, so you can keep pulling them back. Might cause some gastronomical distress.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. I rated this high in drinkability because I think you can drink your own weight of this stuff.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.