Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +39.7%

Let it be known that I am a novice beer drinker. I've been at it for only a month now, and I've tried about 5 different types of beers so far. I'm in search of my beer, or perhaps...a beer that I can drink. Like many beginners, I find beer to be extremely bitter in general and barely undrinkable...but I also know that every beer is different and it's only a matter of time until I find the right one.
I definitely have taken a step in the right direction (for me) with Miller High life. I've tried a couple other American Adjunct-Style lagers and this is definitely the best so far. I've even tried a couple craft beers and since I'm a beginner, I find they have way too much taste and bitterness. It appears that part of the point of the American Macro-Brews is to give the masses a "decent" product for a great price....and I think Miller High Life fits the bill! This is the first beer I've drank so far that I've not only (not) poured down the drain towards the end, but also said, "wow...I could have another one of those!"

Appearance: A light golden-yellow...classic macro-lager...but perhaps a bit darker and golden then most in it's class that I've tried and seen, but not by much. Bubbly carbonation, looks very refreshing. I poured a billowy, very white, one-finger head, but many reviewers show two fingers. I could have poured more aggressive after tipping the glass to a 90 from the 45. The head actually stayed through the whole session...nice lacing, very pleasing. The new look on their bottles is very cool. Clear bottle, which opens up to the danger of "skunkiness" but I didn't detect any. The bottle is very retro and was very "American" feeling to me...like I was sitting in a fishing shack in the 40's.

Smell: Not much to mention actually...which for me is what I'm looking for until my taste is broadened a bit. It smells more of malty to me than hoppy...I think I detect a corn smell - but the smell is very faint either way.

Taste: This beer doesn't have a whole lot of taste, which again, I think I was looking for. It is very watered down, which many people don't like...but it makes it very refreshing. This beer quenched my thirst better than any other so far. The taste is more sweet than bitter, and it has a finish that leaves a crisp, yet slightly sweet, corn-like taste. Not much aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Overall, very refreshing, but very light bodied flavor. Although it was in a clear bottle there was no detectable skunk. I could feel the frothiness in my mouth, but it was also crisp at he same time...a nice moderate feeling of having something slightly foamy in my mouth but also crisp with a bit of a dryer finish feeling at the end.

Drinkability: This is the most drinkable beer I've tried. I actually want another one as I write this and that's the first time I've been able to say that. It's very smooth and crisp, very refreshing.

This is a good beer to wash down a nice sandwich or barbecue, even if it takes two...although I think for those with really refined tastes they would find the experience to be pretty mediocre at best...not bat, not great. For me, it's a good beer, plain and simple, and for the price, not a bad choice at all!

2.76/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

#60. I'm not expecting this to be amazing but think that this might possibly be a better Adjunct lager choice than others. My first review from a can, and of course to do the drink justice, I poured this into a pint glass!

Poured from a 12 oz. can to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a billowing 3-4 finger head from the can. Consistency is bubbly and frothy but more foamy than other counterparts. Retention is about average; head remains light, spacey and sudsy as the beer dies down to a veiled surface. Lacing is light but is caked on the sides. Color is a clear light gold-amber and crystal clear, much like any other macro style, but a very light hint darker. Carbonation is on the lighter end of average. Appearance is on most levels better than I expected, especially on the head appearance, retention and lacing (all far above my expectations) but still nothing groundbreaking here. 3.5

(Smell) Some mild grainy malt aromas paired with some sweet corn yields a grassy, clean and predictable macro smell. I might be able to even sniff out some light sweet high notes, reminiscent of light traces of...caramel? Doesn't smell wonderful, original or exciting, but the nose is slightly more complex and full, plus the beer is slightly more potent than other macros, but almost to an indiscernible extent. It's in the individualized drinker's opinion whether this beer will impress or not. For me, it barely makes the mark. 2.5

(Taste) Sweet malts and chunks of corn; really no hop accent or distinctive flavors. The malts are very sweet, but there's very little else here. A finish is at least as bold as the start, traces of grainy malts and that questionable sweet caramel-like hint in the finish. It is so faint that its almost indiscernible, but I haven't found it in other macros. It trumps the average AAJ Lager based off of these individualized characteristics, but not by much at all. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Smoother than crisp. Very little carbonation intrusion was here, it plays a very subtle role in spicing up the beer without being too strong or biting. Very light body and, yes... quite watery. A very grainy and corny finish that becomes more assertive with big sips. Mouthfeel is decent but not great. 2.5

(Drinkability) I find it more quaffable than other macros and light lagers in general. It's easy to drink but due to it being characteristic of it's style in general, it's not hugely exciting nor enjoyable. Flavors are largely dull and unvaried. If you enjoy a cheap American Adjunct Lager, this is a pretty decent pick. The flavor is close to water, but there's slightly more flavor presence in here than I expected. I had more than one; that's pretty good news for this beer. 3.5

Verdict: A decent Adjunct Lager. An affordable lager. This would make a decent party beer for those who are looking for quantity over quality. It has it's flaws, but they are slightly less evident than the horde of other American Adjunct Lagers. This beer has given me more reasons to review macros; it wasn't terrible. C (2.8)

2.57/5  rDev -3.7%

It's a good everyday beer; cheap and tastier than Bud and Coors in my opinion.

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Pale yellow with a minimal amount of head. As I drank it, it did have a good bit of lacing left behind in the bottle.
Smell: Corn and cereal grains
Taste: Similar to the smell but kind of watery and a tab bit skunky
Mouthfeel: Soft carbonation
Drinkability: Not bad after you put down the first one
Overall: Great beer when served ice cold on a hot day. I wouldn't order it at a bar, but it's nice to have a few in the fridge when feel like having a decent macro.

4.1/5  rDev +53.6%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%

Super clear and fizzy, this looks a bit darker than normal urine. Not a totally gross looking beer. Nice foamy head. Smells of adjuncts, mostly corn. No hops noticeable. Taste is the same, a little sour. Feels thin and watery, of course. A little worse than I thought it would be, but mostly just...meh.

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

One of the best of the adjunct lagers. One of the only beers that can be served in a glass bottle after sitting in sun for a week and then thrown in the freezer without any skunkiness at all. Goes down easy when very cold. Hard to drink enough of these to even get a buzz due to the sheer volume of liquid. At least it doesn't taste like puke like most of the adjuncts. It's merely a weak beer without many defining characteristics other than having alcohol and the approximate color and nature of beer.

3.12/5  rDev +16.9%

Just pulled this one out of the mystery beer machine. Ahhh High Life - the champagne of beers. It really isn't as bad as people think.

A - Very very pale yellow color. Nice creamy white head.

S - Ehh OK

T - Not bad, nothing to write home about, but it tastes like beer.

M - Light bubbly

D - Pretty easy to drink. Not much body. Could put down a lot of these in a night and I think that's how most people drink it.

2.41/5  rDev -9.7%

Big thick head of two plus fingers. Very clingy lace. Color is a 2 on the SRM beer color chart, lighter than some light beers, but with more kick. Smell is corn and corn stalk. Taste is corn, and cereal grain, and malt. Sort of crisp as long as it is cold. Most beers start to taste better as the warm, not this one. Not heavy in mouthfeel, there but not much. This is a hot day beer, yard work, good beer to drink while washing your car.

1.31/5  rDev -50.9%

I picked up a four pack at a gas station half and hour before new years, this seemed to be the least nasty of what was offered. I have seen others comparing the appearance to urine; that is a lie, drinking urine would be an improvement. Pours an incredibly foamy white head; the stench emanating is reminiscent of unscented laundry detergent, rotting vegetable matter, and metal. Has a bitter sensation unlike a good IPA; imagine consuming arsenic or rat poison, same idea. Oily, sudzy, metallic, non edible are ways to describe the mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there with battery acid, your body will know this is not something to be consumed in any quantity and respond with near instant objections.

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from can into my trusty irish pint glass, big fluffy snow white head with remarkable lacing down glass.The pale pale straw color was less than impressive.
This brew reeeeks of american adjunct grains,corn & rice prolly.
Thin and over carbonated mouth on this one.
Well all of that said it drinks better than all else but still a little weak.

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

As far as American Macro lagers, I used to turn to Budweiser. However, now Miller High Life is at the top for me. Is it the greatest beer around? No. Certainly not. But for the price, I think it's a solid every day beer.

Nothing in the appearance. Pleasant smell. Good, slightly hoppy taste.

2.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Oh Miller High Life... Where do I start, but most likely where do I end?

It has the appereance of every pale, armoaless(unless you're counting the smell of lost dreams) American macro

The taste is that of grains and machinery.

The mouthfeel is that of a very similar quality beverage... Water (except H20 is the essence of life and really no way comparable when all things considered).

But alas the drinkability of MHL is it's only "redeming" quality. It goes down "easy" and does what alcohol does best.

2.01/5  rDev -24.7%

It sits just about the same place that most macro brews sit in the grand scheme of beer. This is more acceptable than most other choices--it carries a decent head and a better than average smell for an adjunct. Taste can vary from acceptable to awful depending on how cold it is. Feel is thin and carbonated just like one would expect. If they are cold enough, I can knock a few of these back. It's my ideal choice for beer pong. Cheap enough and not as awful as the alternatives.

3.96/5  rDev +48.3%

A: Pours a watery looking, very light stream of beer to form a voluminous (but not overly huge) bright white head on top of a very pale yellow beer. There is some, but not too much active carbonation. The head is very billowy, with bubbles of all sizes. The beer is perfectly clear, probably clearer than my tap water. 4.5/5

S: What smell there is is vaguely fruity with a little bit of grain. No hops. It's pretty clean, but this fruitiness bothers me. It's almost like water melon or cherries. This is really too much for an adjunct lager. I never thought I'd mark down a beer for being too good smelling. 3.5

T: The fruitiness is pretty much gone, well within an understandable range. There's still no hops, just a slight graininess, really not much for flavor at all. It's just what it should be I suppose, but I think they could get away with a little more packed in here. 4/5

M: Well, it's watery. As it should be. The carbonation and minimal hopping (being as there's minimal everything) lend it just a bit of sharp bitterness, but I don't know what I could tell much difference between the feel of this and some tonic water. 4.5/5

D: This is a highly drinkable beer. Both clean and mildly flavored, not much is going to stop you from putting a few of these down if that's what you want to do. There could be some better flavors to lure you in, and there are cleaner, less floral Adjunct Lagers out there, but High Life does a pretty good job. 4/5

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16oz can, last of the thanksgiving party leftover beers.

Poured golden yellow and clear, rising bubbles, one finger head that lasted a bit and left some lacing on the glass. Better looking than most American adjunct lagers.

Smells like a bit of lemony grains with a touch of hops.

Tastes like corn, grain, touch of lemony hops.

Feel is a little watery but amply carbonated.

drinkability for cheep American adjunct swill is better than average.

Value wise, at $2.85 a four pack of tall-boys, this stuff is excellent when you're looking for a cheep beer to satisfy the masses (so they don't drink all your expensive craft beers).

3.24/5  rDev +21.3%

Damn I've bought a lot of this stuff!

Gotta love the girl in the moon also! I would take her on a date. ;)

This stuff tastes great whether warm or cold. Really smooth. Light body. Lots of flavor. Creamy.

1000% better than Pabst or Budweiser.

The weird thing about this beer for me is that I've never had it out of the bottle. I see it all the time in bottles and have never had it. I hear it's better.

This stuff is old. Don't hate on it too hard. It's much better than Miller Genuine Draft.

I always wonder what beers were like when this was made. It's hard to put something down if this was the best at the time.

p.s. I hope they put more pinup girls on the cans! I'm glad they didn't make any camoflouage cans this year. Those were ugly and I don't do any hunting!! I guess you can blame or praise the S. Africans whichever way you believe.

appearance 2.0, smell 3.0, taste 3, mouthfeel 4.0, drinkability 4.0.

High Life is cheap beer but better taste for the same money and it tastes just fine if it's warm.

--I've never gotten a hangover from this stuff. I believe hangovers mostly occur from not having much liquid or food in your system because I know I can't drink much if I haven't eaten.--

2.74/5  rDev +2.6%

A=Greenish yellow, not at all appetizing,

S=Faint hint of hops.

T=Not nearly as good as I remembered it to be...watery with a little carbonation.

M=Not too heavy, not too light.

D=An okay amount of flavor; a bit watery for a lager...can't believe this was Miller's flagship brand for all these years...I think they changed the recipe after repositioning it as a value brew.

1.06/5  rDev -60.3%

Nothing I can add to the numerous bad (and spot on) reviews, other than to say this swill is instant "headache in a bottle".

Seriously. Took 3 sips and I could feel the hangover just waiting to pounce.

I used to enjoy this years ago when I was a kid looking to get a buzz on. Lord knows how ...

Simply awful.

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

I've found this to be a very drinkable macro pale lager. Nothing really special going on here. What you see is what you get. Nothing really bad about it but nothing great though. Leaves little after taste. Has a slight corny taste. It is a pale yellow with a touch of orange. It is quite bubbly and pleasant on the tongue. I'd pick this one over most other pale lagers.

1.66/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 16oz pounder into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: very pale golden color with a ton of effervescence and a crystal-clear body. Head is two fingers of fizzy white foam. Not too terrible, but it is simply too darn pale.

Smell: sour grain, and that's about it. Now I know why I always drink straight from the can!

Taste: sourish wet-grain flavor. In the back of my head somewhere, I seemed to remember High Life being a halfway decent mega lager. This is pretty bad, though; it's sour and bitter (but not in a good way), and I'm having a hard time choking it down. At least it's not particularly strongly flavored.

Mouthfeel: light body with a moderate fizziness which gives, actually, a somewhat decent mouthfeel. Still, not great.

Drinkability: I've had tons of High Life in my day, and I do not remember it ever being this bad. I guess that's why we go back and review these things, though, right? Now I know never to buy this again.

A- Pours from the can a clear, light golden/straw yellow color with a white head that raises to two fingers high and falls quickly to leave behind a thin layer

S- Smells of corn, grains, rice mostly, pretty good for an American adjunct lager, though.

T- Taste is better than most American adjuncts and much better tasting to me than I remember Miller Lite tasting.

M- This beer is very pleasing to my palate, a little watery feeling but carbonation and viscosity seem right on point for a beer like the High Life.

D- This beer is highly drinkable in my opinion, I could drink these all night long, though only if it was the only thing available . It doesn't offer anything special to drinkers but if your looking for a good cheap beer this is one of the better choices right up there with PBR.

3.03/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a golden color, has a nice four-finger white head, high level of carbonation. I actually find it a pretty beer, looks appealing to me. Aroma is mostly corn, has that "adjunct" smell to it. Taste is corny too, a bit sweet, basically no hops. Has a slight grainy/grassy aftertaste I find common in adjunct lagers. However it is still better than others, since I didn't notice any skunkiness or really unpleasant flavors to it. For what it is, High Life is a decent lager, nothing special but still highly drinkable. (I bought a six-pack for casual beer drinkers, ended up trying some for myself.) It's also quite cheap, and I would much rather buy this over a more expensive foreign beer that I like less (Corona, Heineken, Beck's, etc.)

4.47/5  rDev +67.4%

Another one of my favorite beers. I love living the High Life.
Pretty cheap as well, about 17 a 30 case of cans. Definitely living the High Life.

Appearance: A tad bit misleading. Looks like piss the morning after drinking a whole hell of a lot the night before.

Smell: Smell directly from the can is very sweet with a hint of metal. Once poured out into a mug, the metallic smell completely disappears.

Taste: One of my favorites. Not only is it very refreshing on a hot day its also very refreshing on any day! Sweet and robust at the same time. Now dont let me convince you that I am saying it is very complex and intricate. It's definitely not. Just the best for its style IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy and perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: Could easily slam these down one after another with no problem.

I HIGHly recommend the High Life.

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

The High Life is upon me! When I drink this beer I feel like I'm truly living the...High Life. Chant with me now! High Life! High Life High Life!

So, even though it looks like a nice mouth-watering glass full of piss, the head has stayed surprisingly fluffy and appealing. Gotta admit, that's some nice head.

The smell is of your average variety, hops, wet leaves, corn variety. Smells like marketable beer. I like fruit in my brew, and this only smells like yardwork.

Tastes like yardwork. Lawnmowing sounds so appealing at the moment. Crisp, dry...but slightly creamy in the ole maw. Yep.

Drinkability is nice. If you don't have a better choice, and you really feel like jamming to some Steve Winwood...I say this is a damn fine fucking choice.

"And we'll drink and dance with one hand free
And have the world so easily
And oh we'll be a sight to see
Back in the high life again"

3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

This is a malty/sweet one. Almost like creamed corn.
Tons of carbonation and even feels a little thick/syrupy.
Tastes mostly like sweet corn with a hint of lemon. The bitterness being overthrown by the sweetness in this one. No real off flavors though.
Prefer this to PBR simply because of mouthfeel, but thats not saying much.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.