Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

Okay- I will admit it. If I have to drink a macro, I will hit the Miller High Life. I like to think it is the working man's beer.

The beer pours a very straw yellow color and whatever head starts, doesn't want to stick around very long.

No real smell to the beer and the overall taste is fairly watery.

Now, all that being sad, here in Texas where it is 110 degrees on my patio when I am grilling, I need an easy, watery beer to quench my thirst while grilling.

rgrholmes168, Dec 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a good amount of foamy white head.

The scent is of light grains and corn.

The taste consists of pretty much the same, some sweet corn, grains, with some light hops.

Light bodied, crisp and smooth, high carbonation.

Very drinkable, though not interesting, but what American lagers are.

BeerCon5, Dec 03, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a 12 ounce bottle with a date marked "Jan1110" on it, assuming it means it is best before then. Nice golden color for a macro lager, pretty much has the appearance of a non-adjunct brew, as it's color is solid and it keeps its head fairly well along with some good lacing.

Starts off with a nice medium bodied malty sweetness, a little tart. Cereal and corn grains with some hay and grass like notes, and a little wheat ride through, as the residual sweetness picks up a bit in the finish to accompany a nice zing from the hops. As it warms, I am picking up a bit more on some white grape like sweet and tart flavors.

Overall, this is probably my second favorite macro-lager behind PBR. Even taking price out of consideration, this is still a hell of a lot better than Budwesier, as it has much more character and body. That said, since PRB is regaining a lot of popularity and therefore going up in price, Miller High Life is hard to beat at $6.79/12 pack.

AustinBeerLvr, Nov 29, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a pale gold color with a huge, foamy white head. Head is slow to fall with very decent lace.

Rather clean aroma. Corn smell present.

Not bad taste. Very slight malt taste but mainly of adjuncts. Kind of buttery.

Thin and fizzy in the mouth.

This was one of my favorites but than again that was 20 years ago and I was still underage.

dstc, Nov 25, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

This may be the only beer that has Miller in its name that I like. I usually get suckered into buying it because it is 4-5 dollars cheaper per 12-pack than other bottled beers. I also like the clear, distinctive bottle from which I will be drinking it.

Good color; darker then I would expect. Golden yellow. Still has that distinctive Miller skunkiness flavor but is much more tolerable than some of their other products. Corny and sweet. Has a slight creaminess to. Lots of carbonation. Mostly clean aftertaste with a slight bitterness, and corn.

A good, inexpensive, easy to drink, refreshing beer.

troobie, Nov 20, 2009

I have drank more Miller High Life than any other beer throughout my life. Despite its low quality, in my mind it will always be a good beer.
I extracted a cold can from the fridge and poured the brew into a standard American pint glass. It was a golden yellow with a chalk white head that glowed in the light, I added a tad bit more head than normal. Be careful with the beer's temperature, if you are walking around with a couple in your pocket they will heat up and your head will get out of control. I like to hide them behind the frozen pizzas in the freezer at house parties(SHHHH!).
It smells like the end of the work week. You get a hint of hops. There isn't a great aroma that you would get in a "good beer". It smells a lot like MGD, there is a small hit of malt. Overall, the smell is pleasurable to the nostrils.
After a big gulp full, I was initially hit with the hops and the smooth creamy head. Then I experienced a void of taste that reminded me how watered down it was. High Life is essentially a watered and priced down version of MGD. You also get some nice bubbles mixed in there, its almost like an over carbonated soda, but unlike soda it's good. It goes down smooth. A very easy beer to drink yourself silly with. Don't drive while your drinking, High Life will be your ride away from sobriety.
High Life drinkers are a band of brothers. Every time a pair of High Life drinkers cross paths at a party, there is a high five or a hand shake. Its unique, because its a getting drunk beer that is filled with class as well as alcohol(4.6ABV). I'm going to go out and have some more, tomorrow morning will be painful.

tominator, Nov 20, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

Pale straw. A big, billowy head with decent retention that deposits rings of lace down the side of my glass as I drink it. A fair amount of carbonation is visible. Faint aroma of grass and corn biscuits. Tastes of white bread, sweet corn, and a hint of straw. Light bodied with spritzy carbonation. Feels thin and watery; it's very refreshing. It's not great beer, but it's inoffensive and light. Very easy to put back, and I even enjoy doing so when it's around.

My industrial pale lager of choice, along with PBR and Asahi Super Dry.

mintjellie, Nov 10, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Pours from the bottle with a pale yellow hue and a bright white head. Despite being thin, their is nice lacing to this brew. There is also a nice stream of bubbles produced by this beer.

Smell: Aroma isn't a strong point to this beer. It smells of inferior malts and hops. Despite the simple smell, it smells better than most mass-produced beer.

Taste: The flavor is good when compared to other mass-produced beer. The rice and corn are very evident. The hops are lacking when compared to craft beer, but they have better attributes than most of the big boys.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Not my beer of choice, but after working outside, this beer does quench a thirst.

cudmud, Nov 07, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +36.2%

Straight from a 40.

High Life is what it is. Unlike many American macros, the ole Chanpagne of Beers has a taste, albeit very sweet and corny. The smell is of corn and the appearance of highly sedimented urine. Mouthfeel is thin with a refreshing soda-like hit of carbonation. Drinkability is first rate, no complexity here. Miller is my American macro, and, in truth, I'd just as soon have it as many of the craft lagers I have tried. At two bucks a 40, and when you just want a beer, Miller is first rate. I may, however, be biased: it was the very first beer I ever tasted.

Hovellord, Nov 05, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -4.9%

Miller is like the other big breweries flagship beers. Bland, plain, not much in the beer. Great advertising, but you can't drink advertising.

Pours a clear light gold, about 1 finger of foam which has some staying power.

Smell, bland some corn some hops but only if I really try to find them.

Taste - bland boring, nothing much here, something of an unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - very thin

Drinkability - if your going out to have a few, you can drink these without getting in too much trouble.

njmoons, Oct 29, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +41.8%

MHL is my favorite "Macro Brew". It has a little bit of a "skunky" smell to it but I think it adds to the character. Beautiful, golden color with a reasonable 2 finger head. Taste is crisp, light and refreshing with a smooth mouthfeel. Drinkability is high. Great beer for having a couple of BBQ dogs or burgers on the weekend or watching a ballgame with your friends. Goes good with any Mexican food that is above the level of "Taco Bell".

BBri, Oct 22, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Pours a light gold color with a 1 finger head which dissipates quickly; very minimal lacing.

Smell: Hints of corn and other grains. Not a lot going on.

Taste: Slightly bready up front with notes of malt. Corn and grain throughout with a slight metallic hint as well.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, almost like a light beer. Fairly strong carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. You can easily knock several of these back without thinking about it.

Overall: Obviously it's not a high end beer but I'll take it every time over other Bud/Coors/Miller options. You definitely can't beat the price. You can get a 12 pack of bottles here in NC for $6.79. This and PBR are my go to when I want something cheap.

adam42381, Oct 22, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

Miller High Life... 5% alcohol content.

A- Pours a crisp and clear light golden fluid with massive tight and loosly packed bubbly head. One inch head falls to half inch and stays around thicker around walls of glass... decent lacing.

S- Rough corn oils that remind me of cooking oil, light metallic scents and mild grassy tint.

T-M- Similer to smell corn husk, sharp grainy bite with a little bitterness that almost comes off as a metal flavor. Mouthfeel is not that pleasing with tangy astringentcy and dry finish.

D- Miller drinkablity and gets the job done on the most basic level. Beer...GOOD

wesbrownyeah, Oct 18, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

This is my old standby when I'm short on cash, out of all the beers on the lower price tier this is by far my favorite. Straight from the bottle, smells like corn and husk, a hint of wheat. Appearance is typical macro yellow. The taste is pretty sweet, some corn and grain. Drinkability is high, it glides down the throat with exceptional ease. If you are short on cash, go for it.

beerguzlor, Oct 17, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

Got a can of this for free about a month back that has been sitting in my fridge since, so I figured tonight was the night to crack it open. Poured into my Great Lakes Holy Moses pint glass. This beer is a clear medium golden color. The white lacey, frothy looking foam head that was over an inch when poured, settling very quickly to a nice fluffy surface coating with a good ring lining the inside of the glass. Surprisingly very nice lace. Has a sweet aroma of corn, rice, or other adjuncts with a slight malt presence, couldn't detect any hops at all. Taste is pretty much the same, Sweet corn, rice and malt flavor with very little to no hops profile. Not as metallic or as offensively bad in terms of the adjunct flavors as some other BMC style lagers I have had. Decent for this style of beer. Crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with fairly heavy carbonation. Easy to drink in the way flavored water is, but not as pleasant as flavored water. If this actually was water, I would think it must have gotten some bacteria in it or something and probably would not finish it, but since I know what this is and that it is supposed to be like this... Not a horrible beer for what this is supossed to be, I've certainly had worse beers of this style, but not a good beer either. Not something I would probabley ever buy and something I might pass up even when free.

Eric

neenerzig, Oct 17, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +44.8%

Miller High Life
Miller Brewing Co. / SABMiller
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 5.00 %

4.5/3.5/4/3.5/4.0

This is not the best beer I have ever drank, but it is worth the money when your budget is tight. At $8 for a 12 pack of bottles the price is right. It is a bit sweeter than most other American macros, but it beats almost all other beers at this price in my opinion.

Appearance is clear golden straw in color with a surprising 2 finger head that lasts much longer than other macro swill.
Smell is a sweet corn/malts aroma with some malt smell.
Tastes as it smells with a light flavor and sweet finish. More flavor than most macros IMHO, although it is sweet.
Mouthfeel is thin-medium body with high carbonation.

unclejimbay, Oct 13, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +41%

I am reviewing this beer as an macro adjunct lager, assuming that something like Budweiser is the standard (not some expensive Euro Lager or Pilsner). When looking at this beer from its own style, I think it does fairly well. The high grade it earns does not reflect how it tastes compared to expensive lagers, but how it tastes compared to other cheap American macros.

Appearance: Crystal clear light gold, many bubbles, little head, very minimal lacing.

Smell: Corn, slight malts, general "grain".

Taste: Corn throughout, starting with a bready taste and ending in malts and toasted breads. Very clean.

Mouthfeel: Bubbles, rather thin. Would be watery if not for all the carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is amazingly drinkable. It is actually more drinkable than carbonated water.

allforbetterbeer, Oct 12, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz camo can poured into a pint glass. Ya know, so it's classy.

Pours a clear piss yellow with a decent 1 finger head and a tinge of lacing, but this all fades fast.

Taste is very watery and bland, very little to it. Light and smooth and easy drinking is it's only redeemable characteristic. No bittereness or any trace of hops to it. Ok for the style, but skip it.

kingcrowing, Oct 10, 2009
2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Had a couple of these to appease my friend last night.

A: High Life pours a perfectly clear, light golden color. There are plenty of tiny bubbles and a very fluffy white head. Which I always expect from the champagne of beers.

S: I usually don't expect too much when having an adjunct lager, and most of the time don't really even want to smell it. This beer has a very metallic smell along with some corn. It's not good, but it's not as bad as many.

T: Like the nose, there is a metallic character to this beer, at least initially. After that passes, there is a mix of actual grain/malt and corn. It again makes for a sensation that is not wonderful but not terrible either.

M: Probably my favorite part about High Life is the very effervescent feel of it on the tongue.

D: It's drinkable in the sense that AB advertises Bud Light to be: it's basically water. The flavors are very watered down, but that's what I expected.

womencantsail, Oct 09, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Used to have a few here or there as a kid when it was on special for $1... this beer usually meant the night was not gonna go to well for my stomach. Kicked it old school at a beer pong tournament and this was the beer of choice (not mine, someone elses)...

Bright golden yellow in color, almost artificial looking hues. Huge plume of frothy head, leaves quickly with no trace. Smell is of light grass, stale water and bland corn. Taste is a relatively ineffensive light grass and corn flavor with just a hint of the before mentioned stale water. Somewhat bitter bite at the end. The body is light, ampley carbonated and very dry finnish. Drinkability is low because it always seems to do something to my stomach that i wont review here.

rfgetz, Oct 06, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

I do my best to like the big American brands. Why spend a bunch for beer if you can buy the lower priced stuff that is easy to get?

I told my wife. Somebody sent this home with me from a party and I will dump it out if I don't like it.

I poured it and it had a decent 1" head and was as clear straw yellow as the next one. The nose is nonexistent but the nice feature is that it does not have an aftersmell or an off scent that makes it difficult to enjoy some of the other macros. They may taste ok but don't smell good at all. Not mentioning any names.

The taste is clean sweet and grainy. Quite easy to drink and quite easy to enjoy. I told myself, this will go downhill as the beer sits and beer warms. It tasted the same at the end as at the beginning. I must say, this is one of the best, if not the best, macro made in America. The quest goes on, but I think I have had most of them..

daledeee, Oct 06, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +4.5%

A gentle pour yields two fingers of stark white head that actually sticks around for longer than I'd expect on a macro lager. The body is bright yellow with exceptional clarity.

Smell...I usually try to avoid breathing too deeply when drinking this style beer, but here goes...surprisingly metallic, even though this one was bottled. Mild corn is apparent, as well. Not appealing, but not horribly off-putting, either.

Taste features a bready character upfront, making it quite enjoyable initially, but the corn-saturated finish sort of makes me forget about the nice things I had to say. Were I just throwing this back instead of deliberating over all the different characteristics of the beer, though, it probably wouldn't have had a chance to get so corny, so I don't think it's entirely fair to knock off too many points. Definitely drink this one ice cold.

Mouthfeel is pretty much in line with other beers of this style; soda-like carbonation and extremely light-bodied.

Drinkability is good in that I could easily drink a few of these with no problems, but not as much as I'd enjoy drinking a few of something else. Overall, this isn't a terrible option if you're looking for a twelve pack below $9, but then again you can get Yuengling for that price point, too. Still, I can confidently say that this isn't as repulsive as some other beers in the style.

kurp001, Oct 01, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful color, smell, well it smells like beer, kind of reminds me of the smell of the red white and blue my dad used to drink. The best thing about this beer is its drinkability. You can easily mow through 6-10 beers without even realizing it. I will definitly drink it again.

jngle24, Sep 29, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

12oz can (camouflaged!) into a pint glass.

A: Crystal clear yellow-gold body topped by a huge, frothy, persistent white head. Thick rocky foam leaves abundant lace. Great looking beer for the style.

S: Crisp, clean, adjunct grain aroma (mainly corn); just a hint of hop dryness. Exactly as expected.

T: Straightforward grain with a bit of tasty yeast at the tail end. Again, exactly what I expect such a beer to taste like. Smooth and refreshing (and, of course, thoroughly boring).

M: Ever so slightly on the medium side of light bodied, with some smooth, round carbonation. Pretty nice.

D: A bit more flavor than some light beers actually holds this back in the drinkability category. Not bad, but nothing beyond average for this quaffable style.

Notes: IMO, High Life is hands-down the best value beer out there - significantly tastier than Bud, Coors, or MGD, and cheaper to boot. Definitely my go-to beer when quantity outweighs quality (i.e., entertaining for non-BAs).

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 29, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Served in a 40oz. bottle, the way God intended, so there isn't much to comment on the pour or the head. The bottle does make a satisfying hiss as I twist off the screw-top cap, though. Through the clear bottle, the beer is hay-colored and fizzy as tonic water.

Not much smell through the tiny bottle top. What I am able to sense is a mixture of bread and funk. More nostalgia than identifiable odor...all I can think of is the floor of a frat house basement.

The taste is grainy and bready, with a huge adjunct presence. It's less ricey than Bud Light and it's brethren, but there's a definite corn flavor that only gets worse as the beer warms up. Sweet malts, spoiled apple and grass. There's the tiniest bit of hops at the very back - barely noticeable until after the beer's been swallowed - which lingers on the tongue for just a second. Aftertaste is nonexistant.

Mouthfeel is light, cold & bubbly. Incredibly drinkable. One could easily demolish a six-pack without even noticing.
...at first.

If this was a 12oz. bottle, things would be bright and cheery. But, being a 40ouncer, the beer is warm and the carbonation is completely gone by the time I hit the last 8 ounces. The character of the brew completely changes without the shield of temperature and bubbles. It tastes like apple juice, with a slice of bread, all stuck in a blender and left to sit on the counter for a week. I'm not sure how, but I managed to choke down the last few sips and put this one to bed.

Full article: http://timdudley.net/beer/?p=57

TimDudley, Sep 25, 2009
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.