Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Natural510

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Drunken straight from the 12oz long-neck bottle as intended by the brewer's advertising.
Pale golden color with nice carbonation which sticks to the bottle as it goes down.
Smells of fermented corn...not offensive, but not exactly inviting either.
Fairly rich (for this style) sweet malt & corn flavors.
Well-carbonated, but other than the refreshment factor, it does not linger in the mouth at all.
Very drinkable lager nonetheless...it serves its purpose as a thirst-quencher in warm weather or after a long work-day. Three of these could go down easily in a short time span.
Not comparabile to a German or Vienna lager, but still the best American macro I've tried thus far.

04-17-2008 11:18:22 | More by Natural510
Pauly2X

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev +28%

A- Clear bright yellow beneath a full finger head.

S- Faint malt sweetness with hints of corn.

T- Light malt up front which evenly fades to a barely precievable hop finish. The middle is pleasantly grainy but lends toward corn as the beer warms up.

M- Light and fizzy.

D- Hey I don't have the "girl on the moon" tatooed on my arm for nothin'

It was odd to have this beer in a glass without a bottlecap, quarter, or ping pong ball in it. For the style this really is a great beer. When you consider the price it no wonder even beer geeks often have this beer on hand if nothing else for when non-beer geek friends/family come over. Knock it if you want, but I've always liked the High Life.

04-14-2008 15:46:08 | More by Pauly2X

3.9/5  rDev +45.5%

I always drink my high life out of cans!

This beer is a nice dark golden color that looks good in my glass.

It looks like beer, smells like beer, and tastes like beer...to keep it simple.

Drinkability is off the charts! This is my go-to macro, and will always be as long as Miller keeps it the same!

Prost!

04-14-2008 05:26:29 | More by 1099
SargeC

Japan

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

Appearance: Classic packaging. Clear gold brew with a decent white head that provides excellent lacing in the glass.

Smell: Minor malt character, a hint of hops.

Taste: Clean malt flavor with a touch of hops. Good example of the classic American brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Smooth character.

Drinkablity: I have lived on this brew for decades. A sold brew for when you just want to have a cheap and unpretentious beer.

04-12-2008 22:33:28 | More by SargeC
cvstrickland

12 oz clear bottle of straw amber liquid assertively poured into a tulip (usually poured festively into my mouth) produces a huge creamy head of nearly three fingers with excellent retention that leaves some lacing. Looks like beer.

Smell is lightly grainy, but the grain is corn.. which I blasphemously like. Smells like beer.

Crisp, clean, nice and grainy with a light malt sweetness; a refreshing soda pop of a brew. Tastes like beer, definitely.

Drinkable as all get out...just not with your beer snob friends...or your macro snob friends. No idea why this beer gets treated so second-classily by the sheeple drinking macro pisswater Bud Light, etc. It ain't awful, it tastes good and goes down easy. I like it. So there.

04-09-2008 22:42:50 | More by cvstrickland
PhillyStyle

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

I have been enjoying a lot of the High Life lately. Not sure why either. Probably one of Miller's stronger showings for mass produced beer. The beer is average at best. Best used for after mowing the yard, with hot dogs and chips on a summer afternoon or for giving to your friends who are not beer enthusiasts.

I found it to be very clear with a light yellow color. The light, white head dissipated quickly. It did not have much of a smell to it, but has a surprisingly flavor given the type of beer. I found it very easy to drink.

Certainly, not my beer of choice, but something I will pick up from time to time.

04-09-2008 19:53:44 | More by PhillyStyle
sassacrass

Louisiana

2.45/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a glass from a lb-er can.

A- 1/8 in. head that went away after 30 seconds or so. Pale golden color with tiny bubbles moving throughout the glass during the drinking. Foamy lacing that almost covers the whole glass except where I'm drinking from.

S- Nothing sensational. Kind of metallic with a trace of citrus at the end.

T- Nothing really jumps out in this beer. The high carbonation makes it tough for any particular taste stand out. Once it dies down, it's a mellow, somewhat malty flavor.

M- Again, mainly just carbonation.

D- This is high for me because I can always just sit back and relax with one of these. They're perfect when you want a cheap, easy 6-pack while watching a game.

Notes- This is not a "good" beer by any stretch of the imagination; but my friend's dad always had a case of ponies in his fridge so it has a high nostalgia factor. This is definitely the first macro-brew I'm grabbing for whenever I feel the need to grab one.

04-08-2008 18:33:14 | More by sassacrass
hustlesworth

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%

ahh the champagne. this beer cradled me through up and downs in in 05 & 06. it was my choice beer, and i dug it completely, then one day i decided to buy a great lakes burning river and everything changed.

A- clear golden canary yellow, with surprisingly buildable puffy soapy lather snow white foam. settles fast, but yes, there are lots of tiny champagne like bubbles.

S- musky corn husk, pear, and lemony citrus very slight hops.

T- corn husk, mushy cooked cereal, very corny pale grains, straw, and an ample sharp bitterness for a miller. this fades after the first sip however, and is never heard from again. plant matter and cooked veg in the finish, and as expected, it's hard to finish.

MF- thin at first, not too fizzy makes for another odd syrupy feeling.

D- i used to love you, moon lady... what happened?

04-08-2008 02:40:12 | More by hustlesworth
Slar211

2.6/5  rDev -3%

12 oz. can with the lady in the moon.

Appearance: Very clear and very pale. Snow white head fades fast to a bit of lacing.

Smell: Not very much to be smelled at all save a faint sweetness.

Taste: Much sweeter than the nose implies, in a grainy adjunct sort of way.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but it's clean and even has a little creaminess.

Drinkability: One could certainly do worse. The sweetness in this beer makes it quite nice on a stifling summer day, though it must be ice cold.

03-26-2008 01:35:07 | More by Slar211
drinksandeats

3.55/5  rDev +32.5%

To celebrate the first forty games of this year's NCAA tournament, I decided to indulge in a forty ounce bottle of Miller High Life. The bottle fits nicely in the hand, although the famous cowgirl sitting on the moon was absent from the label.

I opened the top and was hit with a very grainy smell. The beer poured without much head, and what little foam there was quickly evaporated. Tiny bubbles rose through the clear, sickly yellow liquid.

The beer has an almost cloyingly sweet taste, although not as sweet as some other macrobrews. There was absolute no hint of hops, fruity esters, or flavors other than lightly toasted bread. I usually don't drink beer cold, but I did with this one; I'm not sure I could have lost any taste or aromas. The mouthfeel was the same as distilled water.

I've often gone to Miller High Life when quantity of beer was more imperative than quality, although the price is slightly higher than Schlitz Ice, Black Label, or other non-BMC macrobrews. Although not the finest beer in the world, the "Champagne of Beers" comes through once again as a solid macrobrew.

03-24-2008 17:49:49 | More by drinksandeats
pharmer

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer was served on-tap on in a classic pint glass. Had a decent head and surprisingly maintained its head(at least to some extent) throughout the course of consumption. Lacing is evident. The beer is a bright yellow and completely clear.

S- Smells of corn and not much else

T- Some mild hop bitterness-corn adjunct as well

M- Light bodied and highly carbonated beer. Quite pleasing in the mouth however.

D- I have always enjoyed drinking this beer, and would consider it to be a good choice if looking for an economical beer.

03-23-2008 20:04:02 | More by pharmer
babaracas

3.65/5  rDev +36.2%

Pours a clear straw color with fluffy white head which lasts for a few minutes. Clumpy lacing. Smell: corn, light malt, touch of hops. Taste: light bready malts, good amount of corn adjunct, and a enough hops to balance the sweetness. Mouthfeel: light bodied with good carbonation, finish is slightly drying. Good example of macro lager.

03-21-2008 03:22:46 | More by babaracas
udrick

Delaware

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

Whatever else you might say about this beer, the packaging is fantastic. Simple, classic bottle with simple, classic labeling.

A--Pours a deep golden color with decent frothy head. No real retention or lacing to speak of.

S--Minimal. Yeast and corn dominate

T--Slight bitterness up front, with a very sweet finish. The sweetness gives it a slightly skunky taste

M--Huge carbonation gives some body to a thin, otherwise watery beer.

D--The High Life isn't a bad, but it isn't great either. In the macro world, it is a decent choice, probably the class of the big three, but nothing spectacular.

03-21-2008 01:58:11 | More by udrick
jadpsu

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

Always surprised when I read that this beer has average to poor head retention. IMO this Macro pours a great head and it's retention (in a clean glass) is excellent.
High Life is clear, inoffensive and devoid of chemical taste
Clean smell, some grainy, corn aroma but this at least has the beginnings of complexity (when compared to the Buds, Corr's and other Miller's. A subtle sweetness comes through in the after taste. Thin mouthfeel, not much carbination.
A better buy and beer value than it's cousin Miller Light.
This is my economy beer of choice for some time and I enjoy it regularly.

03-19-2008 05:23:19 | More by jadpsu
larsee01

4.3/5  rDev +60.4%

Drank straight from clear 12 oz glass bottle

A--First off, love the packaging. Retro-minimalist bottle, with my lovely moon lady greeting me. Poured a few ounces into glass to better review appearance and smell. Bright, golden, clear. Something different about High Life's color. Very gold. Almost bright yellow. Lively carbonation with small but respectable head.

S--Light malt, followed by corn. Detectable adjuncts.

T--Smooth breadiness at start. Corn/adjunct again, but acceptable. Out comes a pleasant, mild sweetness. Refreshing. Simple but not boring at all...like a familiar old friend. Minimal bitterness. Not really any detectable hoppiness

M--Light and refreshing, but definitely some body. Love the High Life aftertaste. Great lingering on palate.

D--Perhaps the ideal drinkable beer. FIVE all the way. I'm living the High Life. Are you? I unashamedly love this beer.

03-15-2008 02:03:19 | More by larsee01
SirSaranac

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%

Hmmm... I had very low expectations going into this beer... however, a friend let me try one of his... and what do ya know, I decided to review it.

A- Pale yellow... clear... dark than expected (which isn't saying much)... Highly carbonated.. Poor lacing... no head retention.

S-Light malt... yeast... Not quite as sour as I was expecting. Rather clean in scent, however, no real beer smell.

T- Hmmm... Clean? This beer lacks flavor.. seriously. However, there is a semi pleasant malt that pops in for longer than i expected. Hops is non existant, however, the typical corn macro flavor is very faint.

M- Light.. not much to say here.

D- Ummm, dare I put it on par with Labatt!?

03-13-2008 08:32:09 | More by SirSaranac
Risser09

2.03/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz can poured into a tumbler - Fridge temp

Appearance: Pours a pale urine color with a half inch white head. Foamy surface lingers for a bit and then settles to the miniscus. Plenty of carbonation activity surfaces from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Pale malt and slight hop aroma. Not very much to smell at all.

Taste: This beer is virtually tasteless, and therefore isn't bad by any means. It just lacks any body or character. Slight hops and some malt sugar. No Fruit. No Chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Pinchy burst of carbonation followed by a dry finish. Alcohol is mediocre in stature.

Drinkability: Like I said before, this beer is tasteless and light bodied. It would be great if it only had some flavor. There is a reason why people can drink many of these.

03-01-2008 18:37:31 | More by Risser09
ElGrecoVerde

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

When drank right above freezing, this is a decent brew. It tastes mostly of grains, but has a crisp feel to it as well. As it warms, however, it gets pretty gross. It's really not that bad if you're drinking them fast and leaving the warm swill in the bottle.

02-29-2008 17:47:32 | More by ElGrecoVerde
BeerTaster

1.55/5  rDev -42.2%

This beer makes my top 10 worst beers at least from what I've had so far. Appearance nice white head that stuck around a bit longer than I expected and even left a little lace. Smell cheep adjunents not much hop. Taste much the same as the smell with a bit of a funny aftertaste. Mouthfeel very high carbonation a bit to much if you ask me. Drinkability no thanks.

02-28-2008 16:41:14 | More by BeerTaster
demo3210

Maine

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had. Actually, it is. My friends and I thought this would be a good change from National Bohemian since this was on sale for 11 bux for a 30pack. A hell of a deal in my book. Turns out, I will never buy or drink this beer no matter what ever again. I'd rather be sober as a bird than drink this garbage for free.

Upon opening the beer and pouring into the glass, there was a TON of head! About 3 fingers. Head is usually associated with a good beer in my opinion like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, etc., but not this beer.

The smell is that of a typical macro-brew except -1. The taste is slightly better than that of a National Bohemian. Those of you that aren't familiar with National Bohemian it is an extremely cheap beer that is only about 10 dollars for a 12 pack. It is purely a Maryland domestic beer, but it is the best value for your money. NB is of a slightly less caliber than Coors Light. But anyway, High Life's mouthfeel is horrible and has a foam feel to it when it's in your mouth.

The drinkability is even more horrible as well as this beer makes you extremely full extremely fast. Also the next day you feel like a complete fat-ass when you roll out of bed and you can just feel it latch onto your fatty-liver and gut.

When you look at your glass afterwards, you can see all the foam and sugars latch onto the glass of your beer and it's really quite disgusting. I've never had such an experience with such a cheap macro-beer. Sam Adams, I get the residue in the glass, I understand it and it doesn't look dirty, it looks natural. High Life looks utterly disgusting and you just wonder what the hell it's doing in your stomach.

If your having a party and you really feel like skimping out on the beer without skimping out on quantity, get this I suppose. I'd rather drink any other macro-beer besides this. At least scum-beers like Natural Light and Busch Light don't make you so damn full.

Oh, and as far as power hours go, DO NOT USE THIS BEER!

02-27-2008 18:27:35 | More by demo3210
JDV

1.65/5  rDev -38.4%

Slight skunky smell, with some gross sweatiness thrown in for good measure. Tastes like a pale lager but with an off taste added. Not good, but I drank most of the bottle. How can you waste the champagne of beers? Boring stale, odd maltiness sums it up. Blech...

02-22-2008 05:23:05 | More by JDV
Deadstar

2.48/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured out of a 24oz can.

Look: A clear lite gold color with a two finger head that sticks around for a few minutes. While going away, the head leaves lacing all down the sides of my glass.

Smell: Clean with some malt.

Taste: It's starting to warm up a bit so it's not quite as "smooth" but there's a few flavors in there that I'm trying to describe. Can definitely taste the malt but there's a little something extra that sticks around till the end. Some people are saying corn, but I can't really say that is what I taste. (Maybe it just needs to be colder? Hehe)

Feel: Very light in the mouth and the carbonation is somewhat delicate.

Drinkability: I think I could drink a few glasses of this; it goes down pretty easy and doesn't have a very high ABV so having a couple wouldn't be a big deal.

Overall I can say that it wasn't as bad as some people might have led me to believe (my roommate). Of the things I've heard about it, none were really positive, so this made me want to try it for myself so that I could review it. Can't knock something till you've tried it, right? With that said, it wasn't really 'terrible', but not good enough to really buy again.

02-21-2008 00:56:54 | More by Deadstar
pb9613

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%

This is the beer I drank in the 70's when I went to the bars in Wisconsin. At the time, Wisconsin had a 18 year old drinking age and the border was 8 miles away. All the other choices of beer came in cans or ugly bottles. The clear long neck bottle looked cool to an underage drinker who did not know better.

Therefore, I think I a little biased about this beer. It brings back too many memories to a fair rating. I just remember "Living the High Life" of yesteryear.

02-17-2008 17:32:39 | More by pb9613
bluejacket74

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with an inch and a half frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. It smells like sweet malt and corn. No offensive aromas at all. Taste is the same as the aroma, sweet malt and corn. Has a good clean finish. Also, there's no offensive tastes either. Mouthfeel/body is light with a little above average carbonation. Drinkability is OK, it does go down easy and it's not hard to drink. For the style, it's not bad. It wouldn't taste too bad on a hot day.

02-17-2008 02:44:22 | More by bluejacket74
hardy008

1.18/5  rDev -56%

Appearance - Pale with very little color. Little foam or lace present
Smell - Corn and not much else
Taste - Skunky and green, the cheap corn taste comes through.
Mouthfeel - a lot of carbonation, not much else.
Drinkability - Poor. this is another example of a poorly made mass produced beer.

02-16-2008 22:49:44 | More by hardy008
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.