Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a "bright" color, almost yellow fizz. Decent head that actually sticks around a bit. Awful smelling brew, kinda skunky but NOT nearly as bad as macro imports. That is the bad, oh, and awfully thin mouthfeel, but that is to be expected. Tastes good, a bit corny, dry aftertaste, nothing overly offensive. A twelve of these can be gone in a matter of 3 hours, very easy to drink. There are worse beers out there, this one is very economical, and don't forget, used to be regarded in the same light as budweiser, now $3 less a twelve pack. It is good for what it is.

bigdeuce, Nov 09, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

A= awful, very pale yellow color. Very very light and airy head when poured that fades to nothing quickly
S= not much of anything... corn maybe and piss
T= Not much of anything interesting here. like a budweiser but worse
M= Not bad pretty crisp and refreshing in a way
D= pretty high, if it weren't for the taste I could drink a ton

jjanega08, Nov 06, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +4.9%

well I had to go and buy a second twelver of these fine mediocre beers. I mean it aint that bad. really I mean it tastes like beer ya know so what could be worse It aint no ice beer or a lambic or a belgium. It is some single row malt with some sugar and a dusting of low alpha hops. but I don't mind drinking it so I give it an overall c to c- but for 11.99 a halfrack and with the sweet champagne bottles I felt it wern't too bad after all. so I got's me another twelve this fine halloween mornin'. I kinda like this for a work beer when I sit back and paint I likes to sip on a brew and you know this one is a brew so therefor it must be kinda okay... smells like beer, tastes like beer, it must be beer....

beerpainting, Oct 31, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +6%

Pretty standard fair for an AML. Pours a clear golden color with lots of carbonation and a pretty small white head.

Not much smell to this other than a malty corn aroma maybe a little yeast in there.

Tastes like a pretty sweet malt with a hint of corn.

Basically this smells and tastes like a typical beer you see in my neck of the woods.

Pretty light bodies, lots of carbonation. This is a refreshing beer, I love to knock back a few while grilling in the summer etc. Granted there are far better beers I could pick up but sometimes I just feel like something simple and refreshing.

Soneast, Oct 31, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

40 oz. bottle given to me by my roommate along with a bottle of champagne to celebrate my promotion ("a bottle of champagne... and the 'Champagne of beers'", woohoo!).

Clear yellow color with a finger of so of white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is fairly typical of of AML, some corn and very little else. Some corn flavor, a bit of bitterness, standard AML flavor. Crisp, relatively dry. Mouthfeel is, well, ehh... light- body with very high carbonation. Some"bite" from the carbonation, dry. Drinkability is, well, rather good, considering. This is unoffensive, in a way, as intentioned and easily (only if quite inebriated) drunk. I'll admit that the the High Life played a formative role in my college years (though not as much as Kesystone light or my personal "favorite" Busch Light") but I'm really can't give this a good review when I look at it critically.

mnj21655, Oct 31, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Miller high life is a great choice for a cheap beer. It's just a good refreshing american macro. It's much better than any other Miller product and beats but light by a long shot. Not much to describe. It has a horrible canned corn smell, but doesn't taste anything like it smells, thank god. It's an old-timey drink for sure, and you can't drink it expecting a work of art, just a decent tasting cheap beer.

abriggs1, Oct 27, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +62.2%

When it comes to macro brew beers, Miller High life is the best. What better way to end a hard day at work than by cracking open a bottle of High Life.

Bud, Coors...you must be crazy!!! If you want a tastey beer at a tastey price, join the common sense movement ant vote HIGH LIFE!!!

BigD1972, Oct 25, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

16oz Camouflage Can that was left at my house at a party last Friday... I probably will never buy it.. sooo.. I figured WTF.

Poured into my shaped SA glass... aggressive pour.. 3/4" head... and actual lacing to my surprise.. brew is crystal clear straw.

Pale malts and corn. very clean.. no hops.

Flavor is "beer".. pale malts with a little bit of shucked corn.. a little bready.. not offensive... just everything is expected... I guess I should not be surprised.

Body and carbonation... yada yada yada.. you know it.

I would think that this is the first time I've had the Champagne of Beers in probably 10+ years.. all and all.. I am not unimpressed.. it is what it is... and it isn't bad. I have to say... I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered.

3.5/3/3/2.5/4

JohnGalt1, Oct 22, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +6%

With a label that says high life, it leads you to think it's something special. The only real difference I could tell with this beer is that it is very drinkable. Every other aspect in this brew is pretty bland average. Not a bad choice for this type of beer, but no award winner either.

Rhynes2, Oct 12, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +23.6%

This is a beer for the masses, and perhaps one of the finest of it's style. Appearance is a crystal-clear straw yellow with a thin bright white fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Aroma is weak, sweet and malty. Tastes just as it smells, watery and slightest hint of hoppiness fades as quickly as it comes in, sweet malty aftertaste, lightly drying. Mouthfeel is very light and watery, light bodied with low to medium carbonation. Drinkability is nothing short of incredible, a true acheivement for this beer's price and availability. I don't know a single person who enjoys beer, from cheap macros to the best belgian brews who can say that this isn't their really cheap beer of choice.

danielocean03, Oct 11, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +42.3%

Standard golden fizzy macro lager. No real aromas to pick out, some DMS but not much else.

Light flavor, some slight bitterness but it is covered over by what malt is there. No off flavors however and fairly well balanced. Easy to drink and less sweet than MGD although just as smooth.

KoG, Oct 11, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +36%

Miller High Life is about as good as it gets for this style. Average accross the board until you get to drinkability which is exceptional. I have yet to meet a person, beer novice or beer snob, who cant throw back a ice cold High Life.

If reviewed as this site intends (by style) this beer deserves at least a 3.0 in all categories. The only American Macro that matches it is Yuengling.

hurricaneez2, Oct 11, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +0.4%

Thin, lemon-yellow body with sparse carbonation and 1-finger soap suds head. Not bad but not a lot of there there.

Macro silage with adjuncts mixed in with dry malt. Sparse and not the freshest but not horrible.

Tastes rather clean - a little corn silage - not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel when cold isn't bad - macro aftertaste is subdued. Husky silage finish.

So this is living the High Life? Hey, this stuff drinks pretty well for its weight class. Could be much worse. Good, easy-drinking macro.

IBUnit63, Oct 10, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -9.4%

Leftover from weekend visitors.
Crystal clear filtered yellow color. Decent white head and some actual lacing on the glass! Foam fades slowly compared to most macros as well. Not a bad looking beer.

In a word - creamed corn smell. Sweet, slightly metallic nose to it. No hops and no yeast scent.

Champagne of beer, eh? I can see some similarities...highly carbonated, sweet and full of adjuncts...my guess is corn. Not a horrible tasting beverage, just not very beer-like. Cheap, smooth and somewhat crisp. What else would one expect? Drinkable...but barely.

twiggamortis420, Oct 09, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

I'll always have a soft spot for High Life and it's crispness. We all know what it looks like. It pours the color of dried hay with a bit of fizz at the top forming a pseudo-head that fades into nothingness. Lacing is wishful thinking. Smells a bit grassy and malty with hints of crushed saltine (the unsalted kind)... nothing to write home about but nothing that turns me away. Taste starts out with a bit of corn and nuts, followed by a bit of malt. It's light and not very big on the flavor. Crisp and refreshing is more the name of the game. It's carbonation can be overpowering, but there's not really any flavor to overpower, so it's not a big issue. On the whole, it's fairly drinkable. I lived off of it one summer and survived. It kept me alive. And it's cheap. If i had to pick one cheap beer to drink regularly, I'd probably have to tap High Life. It's the best of the worst, so to speak.

djeucalyptus, Oct 02, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a vibrant light golden color and is "crystal clear". A half inch foamy white head forms on the pour. Poor retention and some spotty lace.

The aroma is typical. Some sweet pale malt, kind of bready with no hint of hops.

The taste is pretty terrible. Sweet pale malt, with no definite characteristic. I don't really know what to say, I just know I don't like it.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavor is kind of making me sick. Poorly constructed and not enjoyable.

Goliath, Sep 24, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +41.6%

Right from the bottle, only way to enjoy the high life. smells of corn, but the taste is different. i swear this beer is belgian influenced( not comparing it to duvel don't worry). the huge bone white head, and the slightly phenolic flavor all seem belgian like to me. either way, its the best macro on the market.

redneckchugger, Sep 21, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, this, alongside the MGD was the "classier" beer we'd drink when I was in undergrad (mind you, that wasn't too long ago..I'm not that old)

Appearance: Pale, gold..with some lacing from the foam. Looks like the typical macro lager...fits the bill nicely. This is the first time I haven't had this from a 40 oz.

Aroma: Corn and a slight "beery" smell, if anything. Its pretty bland. Nothing disgusting or offensive.

Taste: A bit sweetish, all else is maybe the corn, but really not much. I guess its malt sweetness to a degree, but I wouldn't say the malts are overpowering, neither is the sweetness. Again, like the smell, its nothing disgusting or offensive in any way.

Mouthfeel: Watery and thin, as expected. Its got a good deal of carbonation that makes it pretty refreshing though. Goes down fairly smoothly.

Drinkability: This is probably its best feature, and I think this is the main feature that American Macro Lagers try to get at. Its pretty simple, and its cheap, and it does the trick if you want to get a refreshing beer, or sit out on the deck.

If I wanted a beer to drink outside on a hot day, it would be a hefeweizen or a witbier, but if I feel like being cheap, this works as well. I'm cheap in certain things, but beer is NOT one of those things.

kshankar, Sep 21, 2008
2.86/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ah, the high life.. the champagne of beers. I think this is the best cheap beer money can buy. An 18 pack for $7.99? Can't beat that. Has much more taste than any of the other macros out there, but it seems to a hate it or love it sort of taste. It takes some getting used to but this is my go to party beer.

oriolesfan4, Sep 20, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

Guess I should review my own macro of choice (and the first beer I've ever drank) First time pouring it into a glass that didn't have an opponents ping pong ball land in it before drinking actually :D

Look: Pours a clear very pale gold color with a foamy white head head that leaves sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: not much there really, a bit of a corn-like smell to it I guess, nothing offensive though.

Taste: sort of a sweet, refreshing taste, very small metallic hint from the can, not as watery as some macros I've had but can't hold a candle to the better bears I drink when I'm not broke.

Mouthfeel: smooth and refreshing with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: very drinkable for those hot summer days when you need a nice refreshing brew that's not too heavy.

Otacon, Sep 16, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

How could I not review the first beer I ever had? Never mind the fact that it breaks every good beer rule my more mature and - I dare say - more sophisticated palate demands.

But it is what it is - and for some reason that I can't place, it's slightly less offensive than the other big macros on the block.

We hardly ever by beer in cans, but a case of this stuff found its way to my home and rather than toss it, I thought, why not chill it for these hot and humid days where anything heavier might be too much? It's also good for heavy chore days as well, when you want "a beer" but not a high ABV.

I think I need not describe the pour - specifically the color - as it retains the color consistency on the way out of your body as it has going in.

My allergies have been messing with my olfactory a bit, but really, there's not much of a discernable aroma, other than to say it smells slightly sweet with a tinny, metallic note from the can.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and light without quite being watery, but there's no body to this stuff to speak of. Still, it's not completely unpleasant, especially on a hot day like today (100-plus degrees).

The taste is reminiscent of what I think carbonated corn syrup might taste like. If there are any hops in there, I cannot detect them.

Miller High Life is drinkable in the same way that water is drinkable. I'm enjoying this serving with a very simple ham sammich and "classic" potato chips, and it's holding up well.

Really, it's not as awful as some macro lagers out there, though after this case is gone, I'm thinking my nostalgia for my earliest beer-drinking days will be over.

TheLiterati, Sep 16, 2008

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass - reviewed as a cheap macro

A - Pours a clear gold with many bubbles streaming to the top. Nice fluffy two finger head with good retention that stayed intact all the way down the glass - remarkable for a macro. Left behind beautiful lacing!!!
I'm speechless!!!

S - A weak sweet malty smell - needs to be stronger

T - Sweet up front. The body is void of any real flavor other than a mild sweetness riding on a hardly perceptible malt background. Finnish is dry and champagney with a tiny bit of bitterness. Not a lot here, but not many offensive adjuncts either.. Much better than many of the other macros on the market

M - Thin as water and highly carbonated - refreshing, but could stand to be thicker. The carbonation suits the beer well though.

D - This beer really does have some champaign characteristics to it which make it highly drinkable. Yeah, it's not a complex macro, but this a delicious and cheap beer to have at a BBQ, on a hot day after wrenching on cars, with mexican food or even to enjoy by itself when looking for something simple. This beer also has a tremendous amount of sedimental value to me - my great grandpa used to drink one a day until he died at 98. Every time I drink one, I think of him and feel pride. High life will always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge.

Bockrules, Sep 08, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Clear and golden, white head disappears, leaving no lacing. Aroma was nearly absent--not enough to describe. Flavor has no hop to speak of and not much malt. Thin and crispy thirst quencher, but I look for much more in a beer. Not the worst macro I've had; I probably won't have it again unless it's free, but it was worth the try.

tangentrider, Sep 08, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -22.1%

12oz can from a 30-pk purchased at a local grocery store for $13.99. Freshness date? Good one! "The Champagne of beers." Hmm.

Pours a clear, pale straw color. One inch of white foam perched on top of the beer for a surprisingly long time. Quite a lot of lace. It's not a beautiful looking beer, by any means, but I was expecting much worse.

Corny in the nose, with a faint whiff of Pepe Le Pew.

Not as skunky tasting as I thought it would be, but nothing seems to take it's place. It's like drinking a beer void. Good tasting, if you think bland is good.

Thin, watery mouthfeel. Nothing to see here, please move along.

Very drinkable, primarily because it doesn't seem to place any demands on the palate the way a beer with flavor would. While it tastes better than the Budweiser I recently drank, that's like saying a Gremlin was a better car than a Pacer - it could be true, but does anyone really care?

woemad, Sep 04, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -46.4%

I can't believe I never reviewed this beer. I guess when you review one you feel like you've reviewed em all. This is a bad beer but considering it's competition I suppose you could do worse. Low quality corn, grain, rice, malty mix that doesn't taste very good. It's watery enough to make it go down without too much of a grimace. Barely drinkable and a notch above the pour-down-the-drain Beast level. It is cheap as hell so at least it's got that going for it.

changeup45, Aug 28, 2008
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.