Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,269 | Reviews: 1,095
2.56/5  rDev -4.5%

Pouring gives you about one finger of head, which sticks around for a fair amount of time. Smells dry and a little musty, there's some sweetness in there also. High Life's flavor is dry and a slightly bitter, I taste corn and something leafy. This isn't the first beer I'd grab from the MBC section, but it'll do in a pinch.

2.69/5  rDev +0.4%

A- very bubbly, golden straw color with a fluffy white head.

S- corn, rice, not much here

T- smooth, refreshing and an easy drinker

M- watery, no funky tastes. Crisp feeling that doesnt linger.

D- this is my favorite party beer, i can drink a lot of it and do.

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a pale golden color with a decent head that lasted the majority of the beer, with minor lacing.

S- A very clean smelling beer with a faint corn/grain scent to it.

T- A very crisp taste with a light body. Mild bitterness with again a faint corn scent to it. Mild malt and hop tastes present.

M- Highly carbonated yet exceptionally smooth. The beer is very light and easy to drink.

D- Very easy to drink as the taste is mild and unoffensive. This is the perfect cheap beer to drink a lot of. Good for a sports game, party, or after working outside. It can only be enjoyed if it ice cold. Truly the champagne of discount beers.

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Pours a pale straw yellow. Two finger width head that actually lingers for a bit. Minimal lacing.

S: Grainy malt along with the usual adjunct lager corny smell. Faint scents of citrus as well.

T: Grainy along with subtle citrus (mostly lemony) notes.

M: Light to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation and a smooth finish.

D: Drinkability is a high point. Very nice.

Passing grade for the High Life.

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

The box champagne of beers
___

A: Yellow tinted water with a one finger foamy white head that was gone in under 2 minutes.

S: A bit of dry malt, some metallic adjunct funk, and that's about it.

T: Quite dry biscuity malt, metal, and almost no hops at all... extremely light on flavor, but considering the source, it's kind of a blessing.

M: Extremely carbonated... I can see why they call it 'The Champagne of Beers', well, the box champagne of beers anyway.

D: Actually quite refreshing in a shitty way.

NOTE: THIS WAS A "HEAD TO HEAD" CAGE FIGHT BETWEEN ROLLING ROCK, SCHLITZ, HIGH LIFE, AND BUDWEISER. THIS IS INTENDED TO BE THE FIRST ROUND OF CLASSIC "ECONOMY" CLASS AMERICAN BEERS. THESE NOTES WILL BE IDENTICAL FOR ALL 4 BEERS, SO RATING ACCORDING TO PERCENTAGE OF POINTS IS IMPOSSIBLE; I GAVE THEM ALL "Average" BECAUSE THE WEBSITE MANDATES A NUMERICAL RATING.

appearance:

Rolling Rock is the palest (by a fraction) of all of the beers, which is not necessarily appetizing; the darkest is actually High Life, which is a shock, but the range is so small that I would call these nearly identical in color. Bubbles look most appetizing in Shlitz, which is actually the most champagne looking in bubble structure. Take that High Life! Budweiser is perhaps the most elegant with the velvety head that is retained better than those of all of the others. After a few minutes, RR and Schlitz heads have faded to amorphous, perhaps pangea-like shapes -- HL and Bud have wall-to-wall carpets of (thin) foam. Overall, with bubbles and head accounted for, High Life is winner in appearance.

aroma: RR has a cidery note on the first big whiff; pleasant; Schlitz is marked by a yeastier, older smell; not bad, but RR was fresher and nicer smelling; High Life is subtle enough to almost be imperceptibe yeast if anything; Budweiser impresses with a melon-like freshness; whats the deal? It smells good. On second whiff RR is more pickle-like than cider like -- not as good; Schlitz still yeasty on second snort, with some malt; HL has some less pleasant yeast smells coming through; Budweiser yet again shocks with a very nice fresh smell, with a bit of funk from something in there. Overall, Bud wins the aroma challenge.

taste: (all tastings were separated by Bravo pizza, which is the most appropriate palate cleanse for this that I can imagine.

RR tastes like water with a splash of melon juice, carbonation, some malt, and yeast; Schlitz has a bit more going on; slightly bigger flavor, slightly more pronounced malt; no melon; less watery; better than RR; HL exemplifies the amazing power of american bulk lager makers to make beer that tastes like more than carbonated water but still not like much of anything -- better than RR, but that could be a mouthfeel issue; like all so far, finishes clean, maybe with some corn note and a thin gossamer of bitterness; Budweiser has a bit of malt and corn noticeable, but nothing wild by comparison; this competition seems less a competition of flavor than a competition of body and mouthfeel; second gulps (big ones) verify the melon lightness of RR; Schlitz is a bit more corny on the second time around, and maybe a tiny hop flower present; High Life still evades capture by my power of description; Budweiser ringing a bit buttery/watery oak this time. Overall, although this defies my theory, Rolling Rock seems to be the winner on taste. There is actually something intriguing about the freshness an fruitiness of it; it is enough to make me wonder what was in the glass last, or if my soap tastes like fruit, but I really think this glass was good to go. Budweiser second. Schlitz third. High Life 4th. Bear in mind that none of these beers is putting others to shame in any category so far; this is a near tie. Maybe only Jackson or Parker's tongue could rank these, because mine is struggling. For the record, they all do have some hops in them as the bitterness is ringing now. And I'm basically 10 minutes into a power hour, so I'll get to mouthfeel ASAP.

Mouthfeel: Schlitz struck me through all of these tastes as having the most pleasant mouthfeel, but I'll test one more time: At this point, after sitting out for just a few minutes, Schlitz is struggling to retain carbonation at all, which is why it felt pleasantly dense at the beginning. This is a noticeable problem for Schlitz -- there is no lacing on the glass whatsoever; it is the most dead looking of all the beers BY FAR. Rolling Rock and High Life look tastiest in terms of foam now, and that matters for mouthfeel. Rolling Rock and Bud are doing the best at retaining carbonation. Schlitz is truly almost flat. High Life is struggling to taste and feel as though it should be drunk and not left as a wounded soldier.

JUDGEMENT: I am suprised to say that with everything taken into account, if I were to go to the store to buy an 18 pack, I would buy Rolling Rock. Let that speak for itself. But let it be known that not everything comes in 18 packs, and that might change things. So let me say that if I were to buy a loose beer again out of these 4, it would be a Rolling Rock.

Congratulations Rolling Rock; you have survived this round of economy class beer competition.

3.06/5  rDev +14.2%

Out of all the big Miller label brands I like High life the best. But no beer belongs in clear bottle and the last few sips of a can of this beer always taste like a rubber tire.

Like many big American brands the recipe has been altered and cheapened. For me a beer tastes cheap when it has lousy small and aftertaste, High life is ok, but nothing to right home about.

I remember drinking it twenty years ago, it was a better beer, not the same recipe as they cheapened it, to put it in a lower price category.

2.79/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Plain piss looking with very light bubbly foam. Looks like something you'd see in the public restroom.

S - Sweet with a tinge of metallic aroma.

T - Slightly sweet with a bland and metallic aftertaste.

M - Slightly acidic, bitter, and spritey.

D - You can drink this all night. It has no heaviness to it, so you can keep pulling them back. Might cause some gastronomical distress.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. I rated this high in drinkability because I think you can drink your own weight of this stuff.

3.82/5  rDev +42.5%

A: Light yellow color and good carbonation. Beautiful head formation with excellent retention and good lacing.

S: Clean and crisp. Bread with just a touch of hops.

T: Slightly tart and malty. Very nice for the style.

M: Very smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation.

D: These go down so easily, it's hard to describe!

3.86/5  rDev +44%

Well I'm very suprised I have been a long time craft beer drinker and have avoided all products by the big three Budweisser, Coors, and Miller.

I have to admit I was hesitant to drink this when a friend gave it to me but the first think that jumped to mind was I can reviuew it so lets give it a go.

A- clear golden yellow with a large head that faded to little more than a wisp.

S- not very hoppy at allI would guess this is probably mostly a grainy ( rice) beer not much malt either kinda watery but not overly. Honestly hard to put a finger on it but not as offensive as I would have thought a Miller product to be.

M- Very smooth light carbonation extremely drinkable and refreshing I could see this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn type of beer.

T- sweet , grainy ( rice )maybe, slightly fruity.

D- Best part of this beer very refreshing I could drink this all day no prob.

very suprising I would go to this any day before a bud or coors I have to be honest I am pleasently suprised.

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

A: Very mellow straw colored brew with a frothy head that was present the whole time.

S: Nothing exceptional. a good hint of malt sweetness as well as some roasted corn once it warmed up a bit.

T: Not the typical adjunt lager. It can warm up without becoming metallic tasting or flat. I did not detect any hop presence which would have made this beer formidable.

MF: Decent body on it. Nice and crisp a good amount of carbonation is present. Nothing unique but nothing undesirable.

D: Easily drinkable. A nice change of pace over other party beers

3.73/5  rDev +39.2%

Let it be known that I am a novice beer drinker. I've been at it for only a month now, and I've tried about 5 different types of beers so far. I'm in search of my beer, or perhaps...a beer that I can drink. Like many beginners, I find beer to be extremely bitter in general and barely undrinkable...but I also know that every beer is different and it's only a matter of time until I find the right one.
I definitely have taken a step in the right direction (for me) with Miller High life. I've tried a couple other American Adjunct-Style lagers and this is definitely the best so far. I've even tried a couple craft beers and since I'm a beginner, I find they have way too much taste and bitterness. It appears that part of the point of the American Macro-Brews is to give the masses a "decent" product for a great price....and I think Miller High Life fits the bill! This is the first beer I've drank so far that I've not only (not) poured down the drain towards the end, but also said, "wow...I could have another one of those!"

Appearance: A light golden-yellow...classic macro-lager...but perhaps a bit darker and golden then most in it's class that I've tried and seen, but not by much. Bubbly carbonation, looks very refreshing. I poured a billowy, very white, one-finger head, but many reviewers show two fingers. I could have poured more aggressive after tipping the glass to a 90 from the 45. The head actually stayed through the whole session...nice lacing, very pleasing. The new look on their bottles is very cool. Clear bottle, which opens up to the danger of "skunkiness" but I didn't detect any. The bottle is very retro and was very "American" feeling to me...like I was sitting in a fishing shack in the 40's.

Smell: Not much to mention actually...which for me is what I'm looking for until my taste is broadened a bit. It smells more of malty to me than hoppy...I think I detect a corn smell - but the smell is very faint either way.

Taste: This beer doesn't have a whole lot of taste, which again, I think I was looking for. It is very watered down, which many people don't like...but it makes it very refreshing. This beer quenched my thirst better than any other so far. The taste is more sweet than bitter, and it has a finish that leaves a crisp, yet slightly sweet, corn-like taste. Not much aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Overall, very refreshing, but very light bodied flavor. Although it was in a clear bottle there was no detectable skunk. I could feel the frothiness in my mouth, but it was also crisp at he same time...a nice moderate feeling of having something slightly foamy in my mouth but also crisp with a bit of a dryer finish feeling at the end.

Drinkability: This is the most drinkable beer I've tried. I actually want another one as I write this and that's the first time I've been able to say that. It's very smooth and crisp, very refreshing.

This is a good beer to wash down a nice sandwich or barbecue, even if it takes two...although I think for those with really refined tastes they would find the experience to be pretty mediocre at best...not bat, not great. For me, it's a good beer, plain and simple, and for the price, not a bad choice at all!

2.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

#60. I'm not expecting this to be amazing but think that this might possibly be a better Adjunct lager choice than others. My first review from a can, and of course to do the drink justice, I poured this into a pint glass!

Poured from a 12 oz. can to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a billowing 3-4 finger head from the can. Consistency is bubbly and frothy but more foamy than other counterparts. Retention is about average; head remains light, spacey and sudsy as the beer dies down to a veiled surface. Lacing is light but is caked on the sides. Color is a clear light gold-amber and crystal clear, much like any other macro style, but a very light hint darker. Carbonation is on the lighter end of average. Appearance is on most levels better than I expected, especially on the head appearance, retention and lacing (all far above my expectations) but still nothing groundbreaking here. 3.5

(Smell) Some mild grainy malt aromas paired with some sweet corn yields a grassy, clean and predictable macro smell. I might be able to even sniff out some light sweet high notes, reminiscent of light traces of...caramel? Doesn't smell wonderful, original or exciting, but the nose is slightly more complex and full, plus the beer is slightly more potent than other macros, but almost to an indiscernible extent. It's in the individualized drinker's opinion whether this beer will impress or not. For me, it barely makes the mark. 2.5

(Taste) Sweet malts and chunks of corn; really no hop accent or distinctive flavors. The malts are very sweet, but there's very little else here. A finish is at least as bold as the start, traces of grainy malts and that questionable sweet caramel-like hint in the finish. It is so faint that its almost indiscernible, but I haven't found it in other macros. It trumps the average AAJ Lager based off of these individualized characteristics, but not by much at all. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Smoother than crisp. Very little carbonation intrusion was here, it plays a very subtle role in spicing up the beer without being too strong or biting. Very light body and, yes... quite watery. A very grainy and corny finish that becomes more assertive with big sips. Mouthfeel is decent but not great. 2.5

(Drinkability) I find it more quaffable than other macros and light lagers in general. It's easy to drink but due to it being characteristic of it's style in general, it's not hugely exciting nor enjoyable. Flavors are largely dull and unvaried. If you enjoy a cheap American Adjunct Lager, this is a pretty decent pick. The flavor is close to water, but there's slightly more flavor presence in here than I expected. I had more than one; that's pretty good news for this beer. 3.5

Verdict: A decent Adjunct Lager. An affordable lager. This would make a decent party beer for those who are looking for quantity over quality. It has it's flaws, but they are slightly less evident than the horde of other American Adjunct Lagers. This beer has given me more reasons to review macros; it wasn't terrible. C (2.8)

2.57/5  rDev -4.1%

It's a good everyday beer; cheap and tastier than Bud and Coors in my opinion.

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Pale yellow with a minimal amount of head. As I drank it, it did have a good bit of lacing left behind in the bottle.
Smell: Corn and cereal grains
Taste: Similar to the smell but kind of watery and a tab bit skunky
Mouthfeel: Soft carbonation
Drinkability: Not bad after you put down the first one
Overall: Great beer when served ice cold on a hot day. I wouldn't order it at a bar, but it's nice to have a few in the fridge when feel like having a decent macro.

4.1/5  rDev +53%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom.

2.26/5  rDev -15.7%

Super clear and fizzy, this looks a bit darker than normal urine. Not a totally gross looking beer. Nice foamy head. Smells of adjuncts, mostly corn. No hops noticeable. Taste is the same, a little sour. Feels thin and watery, of course. A little worse than I thought it would be, but mostly just...meh.

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

One of the best of the adjunct lagers. One of the only beers that can be served in a glass bottle after sitting in sun for a week and then thrown in the freezer without any skunkiness at all. Goes down easy when very cold. Hard to drink enough of these to even get a buzz due to the sheer volume of liquid. At least it doesn't taste like puke like most of the adjuncts. It's merely a weak beer without many defining characteristics other than having alcohol and the approximate color and nature of beer.

3.12/5  rDev +16.4%

Just pulled this one out of the mystery beer machine. Ahhh High Life - the champagne of beers. It really isn't as bad as people think.

A - Very very pale yellow color. Nice creamy white head.

S - Ehh OK

T - Not bad, nothing to write home about, but it tastes like beer.

M - Light bubbly

D - Pretty easy to drink. Not much body. Could put down a lot of these in a night and I think that's how most people drink it.

2.41/5  rDev -10.1%

Big thick head of two plus fingers. Very clingy lace. Color is a 2 on the SRM beer color chart, lighter than some light beers, but with more kick. Smell is corn and corn stalk. Taste is corn, and cereal grain, and malt. Sort of crisp as long as it is cold. Most beers start to taste better as the warm, not this one. Not heavy in mouthfeel, there but not much. This is a hot day beer, yard work, good beer to drink while washing your car.

1.31/5  rDev -51.1%

I picked up a four pack at a gas station half and hour before new years, this seemed to be the least nasty of what was offered. I have seen others comparing the appearance to urine; that is a lie, drinking urine would be an improvement. Pours an incredibly foamy white head; the stench emanating is reminiscent of unscented laundry detergent, rotting vegetable matter, and metal. Has a bitter sensation unlike a good IPA; imagine consuming arsenic or rat poison, same idea. Oily, sudzy, metallic, non edible are ways to describe the mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there with battery acid, your body will know this is not something to be consumed in any quantity and respond with near instant objections.

2.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from can into my trusty irish pint glass, big fluffy snow white head with remarkable lacing down glass.The pale pale straw color was less than impressive.
This brew reeeeks of american adjunct grains,corn & rice prolly.
Thin and over carbonated mouth on this one.
Well all of that said it drinks better than all else but still a little weak.

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

As far as American Macro lagers, I used to turn to Budweiser. However, now Miller High Life is at the top for me. Is it the greatest beer around? No. Certainly not. But for the price, I think it's a solid every day beer.

Nothing in the appearance. Pleasant smell. Good, slightly hoppy taste.

2.13/5  rDev -20.5%

Oh Miller High Life... Where do I start, but most likely where do I end?

It has the appereance of every pale, armoaless(unless you're counting the smell of lost dreams) American macro

The taste is that of grains and machinery.

The mouthfeel is that of a very similar quality beverage... Water (except H20 is the essence of life and really no way comparable when all things considered).

But alas the drinkability of MHL is it's only "redeming" quality. It goes down "easy" and does what alcohol does best.

2.01/5  rDev -25%

It sits just about the same place that most macro brews sit in the grand scheme of beer. This is more acceptable than most other choices--it carries a decent head and a better than average smell for an adjunct. Taste can vary from acceptable to awful depending on how cold it is. Feel is thin and carbonated just like one would expect. If they are cold enough, I can knock a few of these back. It's my ideal choice for beer pong. Cheap enough and not as awful as the alternatives.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.