Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 3,425
3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

i drank this alot in the late 90's to mid 2000's or so.
i bought it again recently because of the "Limited Edition" collectible labels.
These are all 12oz bottles with various retro designs -kinda cool,i guess....retro works best in cars & guitars though...
i would like high life more today if it was not for the amazing choice out there of great tasting,full-bodied (as God intended beer to be) micro brews that rock our world now.... beer does have its place...sometimes.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Used to be one of my favorites and the go to beer. Light yellow. Very heavily carbonated. A little skunky but good. A little sweet and a little bitter. Ok beer but leaves a weird dry grainy film in my mouth

3.19/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not half bad as far as AALs go. Clear, pale golden served in its familiar clear glass bottle at Texas Chili Parlor in Austin, TX. Light bodied, fizzy, somewhat sweetly malty, but without some of the harsher off flavors of its brethren. Smooth, crisp and refreshing. Just right with a bowl of red.

4.75/5  rDev +69%

It says it right on the label- the champagne of beer. You get all the effervescence and character of a fine champagne with the drinkability and flavor of a light Pilsner. High enough abv to drink all day, but classy enough to impress a date. High-life truly has it all.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

Great beer for the money. Picked up a 6 pack of 16oz cans for $4.88 at my local walmart. Perfect for hot days like many have said. I just wish miller lite was this cheap.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

Here is my take on Miller High Life, an American Classic. Before I start let me add that I took a tour of Miller Brewing Co in Milwaukee last year so I know firsthand how the "champagne of beers" is being crafted.
Serving style: 12 oz can
Appearance: Light golden color, very transparent, weak head that disappears right away, solid carbonation
Taste: Bitter hops mixed with tarty lemon slices and stalled yeast. Strangely addictive.

Overall: Hard to beat a beer that is easy on the wallet and easy to drink. $14 gets you a 30-cans pack which is more than double for the same price as imports. Has a nasty aroma but after few sips it goes away. Very easy to drink, especially with snacks.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six pack of it.

A: Clear straw gold, almost no head, no retention. AAL to the max.

S: Corn, cereal, malt, grain, and a bit of a sweet smell. Nothing to balance. Inoffensive and a small step above other AALs.

T: Much like the smell, but very smooth. Not tasty, but quite good for what it is.

M: Maybe a bit heavy for the style, but thankfully, not watery.

Decent swill for $5.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

High Life is an odd one for me. When you start drinking a nice fresh cold one, it is pretty solid and easy to drink. Nice crisp flavor. Nothing wrong with it. As it warms up though, it becomes pretty bad. Not "warm" warm, but basically as warm as the bottom of the bottle tends to be when you get down there. Luckily, they make grenades, those 7 ounce bottles, and this helps with that. I do prefer them in the smaller packaging, however, even in 12 ounce form they are cheap enough to dump out the last 2 or 3 ounces so its not a big deal.

3.52/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is.

2.5/5  rDev -11%

A: Had this in a can, so can't really say.

S: Not much here. Typical lager aroma maybe.

T: I'd like to say that it wasn't horrible. I think dogging on these types of beers is usually our of snobbery, but man was this bad. I get old fruit, corn juice, and grassy water. That's really it.

M: Light and flat. Gross.

O: Not the worst I have to say. I've had some craft beer a lot worse than this. But this was pretty bad. Couldn't really finish the can.

Keep in mind i'm rating this a 5 because i'm new to beer and this is the best out of what i have had. I don't really know what to describe the taste like, just kind of like... corn? sweet. I drink this because i didnt have a job and was not able to buy more expensive things. I have read however this has won the gold medal for best american style lager several times. I think i know why they call this the high life though. It makes you feel like you are living the high life due to the taste and quality for the price. Their advertising campaigns hit the nail on the head. This is a testament to working men and women. I got paid my first paycheck recently and i bought some of this, and i felt like i was drinking in style. This is better quality in my opinion than budweiser and its cheaper. There is a reason it rated highly in american adjunct lagers, as you categorize them on the site. Apparently the Alstrom brothers on this site agree with me. They gave it an 81. I think miller is the best out of the as you guys on the site call them the macro brews. Whether its fishing or a barbeque or fourth of july party this goes good with anything. I love this with a nice Hamburger and steak fries.

3.29/5  rDev +17.1%

Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers! Yee Haw. I feel like a dirty hippie tonight.

Serving Style : 24 oz liquor mart can complete with the homeless brown bag, poured into a fiesta ware glass for appearance (how's THAT for a contrast?)

Appearance (3.5) : Soapy, sudsy white head that's easily penetrable and recedes like the revolting blob. Bubbles grace the bottom surface of the head, much like Champagne would! Pale golden color with medium transparency.

Smell (2.5) : Dirty corn, grass and straw, hay, wheat, adjunct. Touch of orange at the tip. Dirty underwear. A pretty dirty smell.

Taste (3.5) : Straight out of the can it's heavenly. The best $1.49 beer you can get. If you're down on your luck and you just want to pass out, look no further. If you want to enjoy it, it's good for that too. Out of the glass it's refreshing and light bodied with a full bore creamed corn flavor profile. If you liquidized creamed corn and added some alcohol you'd be close. Other flavors I'm getting are some citrusy wheaty zestiness, hint of pepper. Not bad. Not bad at all...

The corn beer. Nebraska, eat your heart out!

Mouthfeel (3) : Heavily carbonated, refreshing, light bodied. Like a heavy Sprite with some mild creaminess. The foam even comes up in belches a little bit. This won't win any awards but it sure isn't awful. For its style it's just what it needs to be.

Overall (3.29) : Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. This beer isn't out to compete against crafts, it's meant to be a working man's beer after a long day in the sun. For that purpose it does just fine. High Life is a tasty treat, abundant with corn. If you hate corn or corn-based beers, stay away! Very adjunct-y, mildly sweet, absolute zero bitter. No hops. This is one of my favorite beers because it's so cheap and it's still tasty. Where else can you get an 18 pack of bottles for $10 or a 30 pack of cans for $15? Or a 24 oz. for $1.49 for that matter??? Long live High Life!

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Yes, it is not "good" beer. But it is also extremely cheap, and very drinkable. Make sure it is cold; really cold. This is my beer of choice when I am doing yard work. Better than its competition.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Frankly if I go to an event where only AAL's are being served, I hope I can find this swimming in the bottom of the ice chest. The color is pale straw with a big but fleeting head that gives way to minimum lacing. The smell and taste are both dominated by adjuncts, but if cold enough the flavor is tolerable. The carbonation level is good and the beer does feel rich in your mouth. Overall one of the best in a generally poor class.

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

Served: 12 August 2014
Serving: 24oz can into pint glass

Appearance: Crystal clear gold color with massive carbonation coming from the bottom initially before slowing to a trickle. Nice one and a half finger white head that sticks around for a bit before collapsing into a sheen of bubbles. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Light and corny. Very sweet.

Taste: Very clean and sweet with big corn grainy notes. No hop flavor at all, as expected.

Mouthfeel: Huge bubbly carbonation gives this one some nice body in the tongue.

Overall: For an AAL this is actually pretty far up there for me- one of the best in the style. A very refreshing, unadulterated beer for weather when it's hotter than hell and you just want something quaffable. I would NEVER get this in a format other than a can considering the clear bottle.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

2.94/5  rDev +4.6%

Not much can be said about this beer. Its a cheap beer. But in my opinion it is way better than Pabst, which for some reason has become cool to drink over the last decade or so. As far as cheap beers go, this is in my opinion among the best. Not that I am saying its a spectacular beer, but if you want a cold "beer" like your grandfather drank, this is the one I would go for. You can often find a 12 pack on sale for around $6-7. It is what it is, nothing spectacular, but drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow with a surprisingly short white head that is gone swiftly. Lacing also less than I expected. Looks like cheap beer, which it is, as you have probably been aware for some time. (Mostly un-related footnote: this beer has one of my favorite bottle designs; classic and instantly recognizable).

Smell: Smells of cooked corn, some grass, and grain. The nose is faint and reasonably clean. It's not like Budweiser where it smells like rice cooker water.

Taste: High Life has that clean, easy American lager taste. It's mostly just inoffensive and pleasantly cold (as this is the kind of beer you have to serve at sub-Arctic temperature or you're going to regret it). There's a little corn, a tiny bit of floral hops. It's simple and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thin and easy.

Overall: American adjunct pale lagers need to be reviewed in their own terms, similar to the way the great Roger Ebert (RIP) used to review B-movies. If you compare this beer to a Belgian lambic or a graduate-degree level IPA, you're basically comparing Evil Dead to a Polanski film or something. They don't serve the same purpose, nor should they be judged by the same measuring stick. Now that those cards are on the table, I drank this High Life with hot dogs and watermelon while watching baseball. Perfect afternoon. It's not my favorite American budget lager - I'd certainly take 'Gansett or Pabst over this - but it's certainly better than Budweiser, and it's better than a poorly executed complex beer.

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a clear golden straw color with some white head that dissipates in an instant. The nose has little more than the standard AAL scent. The flavor has that typical crony sweetness to it but the sweet notes are not as heavy as the average AAL. The finish has lingering sweetness that makes one want to keep sipping.

As a bonus, this offering is proudly union-made by UAW workers.

2.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

32oz can into a pilsner

A - An unimpressive, yet crystal clear straw yellow. Quickly dissipating tall head. This beer laces all the way up a 20oz pilsner glass.

S - Smells beerish and sweet.

T - Oh wow. Never noticed when I was in my 20s, but YUP, corn. A bit of pilsner malt. Sweet.

M - Very ebullient and thick sweetness.

O - If I've been mowing on Sunday (good beer is only had in liquor stores here and they aren't open on Sunday) this is my go-to. It's really not horrible, but there's just no comparison to a good helles. If someone told me there were hops used in this beer, I may or may not believe them.

3.02/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Anyone meticulously analyzing the qualities of this beer is almost missing the point.

This is a palate-cleanser beer, and near-perfect swig after a hot day of yard work. It's meant for eating with a greasy burger, a juicy steak and mashed potatoes, or BBQ pork. Its bubbly carbonation and light body cut through all this and leave you refreshed for the next bite. Or renewed for the next outdoor activity. And that's all some beer is supposed to be.

2.26/5  rDev -19.6%

Look, this stuff is the america beer for broke folks. Im not going to lie. Heck ive been to the point where my local walmart was selling this stuff near the price of budweiser, and yes it was because budweiser was on sale. Im not going to say hate this beer, but for some reason it is so hard to kill, its like putting ur mouth up to a drain full of piss and saying " Damn this stuff acutally gets you drunk" It should be less than 9.79 a 12 pack. I understand the nice bottles, and the hot little blondie we all wish we could of Fuked in highschool was on the bottle but still its not that great of a beer. Would i buy it more? Probably not, because this beer makes me want to work overtime so i can get good beer. I love this beer thou still, cause it can provide me with a cheap buzz, and its better than keystone light, and coor by far. So im so undecide on what to go to. I guess all i can say is quit drinking and save ur money for some good stuff. Then you will appreciate beer more. I waste all my money on beer, and i suffer to drink this like you know who as well. Good luck, and god bless America :)

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pale clear yellow, no head, a bit of lacing.

Smell: Smells a bit like eggs...

Taste: Fine, not a whole lot of flavor but seems balanced.

Mouthfeel: Thin and a little too carbonated. I love me some carbonation, but this isn't a good ratio for me.

Overall: I was preparing for an awful experience but was pleasantly surprised by this beer! I probably wouldn't get this to drink at home but wouldn't mind if it's one of a few options at a party or something.

4.53/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is buy far the best beer for your money. Tastes great though maybe not less filling that high life lite. you can't beat that its tastes good and I only pay 7.99 for a 12ver of bottles. Not enough people appreciate a good crisp clean american lager. i poo on the beer snobs.

2.78/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2012 Miller High Life - Reviewed 10/4/2012

Appearance: Miller High life pours a light straw color. Carbonation is visible in the bottle but not after decanting. Head starts off strong, but quickly dissipates to a light dusting. Lacing is minimal, but persistent.

Aroma: Very sweet corn with general malt and light hints of a Subway dining room.

Taste: Once again, very prominent sweet corn notes with lager adjuncts, caramel malts. One of the fresher High Life's that I've had, yet still a bit of skunkiness on the back end, followed by a clear finish.

Mouthfeel: This beverage is pleasant carbonated, and has the body of a nice light beer rather than a normal malt liquor.

Overall: This is a highly underrated beer. If looking for 40oz that pairs well with fish, chicken, or vegetarian meal, look no further than Miller High Life. Looking for a gateway beverage between malt liquor and craft beer? Grab a High Life 40. The semi-sweetness of the malt is very well balanced with the burn of the alcohol, making this one of the most drinkable 40's available.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.