2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,480 | Reviews: 996 | Show All Ratings:
winomark

Missouri

2.13/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: "The Champagne of Beers" pours a clear gold with a thick, frothy white head.

Aroma: Corn on the nose, with little or no hops apparent. Slighty skunky.

Taste: Almost not flavor. Some grainy notes, but not much of anything.

Mouthfeel: Quite light and slightly sweet. No excessive carbonation, which is good.

Drinkability: If you need a decent tasting beer to get a good buzz, by this in the convenient 32 oz. can; otherwise, approach with caution.

11-07-2003 23:44:34 | More by winomark
francisweizen

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer actually tastes pretty damn good (for the price). It pours a nice golden colour with a fluffy white head and the aromas are of tea, faint hops, citrus, and background malt. The taste is lightly hoppy, refreshing, malty and tangy. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing as hell and the drinkability is excellent as well. I really hate macro beers and I very rarely drink them...but if you are strapped for cash, or just want a good old-fashioned brew...than the high life is for you!

F

11-06-2003 17:25:20 | More by francisweizen
Hex92

3.83/5  rDev +42.9%

Miller High Life. Its the perfect beer for a hot summer day. As long as the temperature difference between the air and beer is >40 F I can slug this stuff down without batting an eye. But as soon as the air temp drops below 75 its hard to drink. Yes its a cheap mass produced beer but its the cheapest beer I can buy in a bottle ($5.67/ 12 pack).

I drink more of it than anything else. I would go broke if I tried to drink nothing but Belgians year round.

10-14-2003 01:43:09 | More by Hex92
maek228

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

Miller High Life. What can you say? It is pretty cheap (perfect for a college student such as myself) and it goes down easy, although not too easy like some beers that are reminiscent of water.

The beer itself is quite carbonated and has a respectable head that retains throughout the whole beer. Its taste is a hair above average, but High Life's strongest suit is it's consistency. From the second it hits your lips to the moment it ends its journey in your belly, you are never unpleased. It is consistently good. Not consistently great, just good.

Appearances usually hold no clout in the realm of beer critiquing. This just isn't holding true in H.L.'s case. The beer has such a cool aura to it. The sleek bottle design, the 1920's looking lady sitting on the moon, the color scheme....it's just a perfect design. Too bad we're not rating the design on the bottle...the apperance of the beer itself is totally average. gold yellow with lots of champagne like head.

I'd like to add on alil side note: Wow. What a difference drinking from a can and a bottle makes. High Life gives the biggest quality drop in the transition from bottles to cans of any other beer. High Life from a can tastes like cheap swill. On the other hand, Miller High Life from a bottle tastes like a damn fine beer. My review only pertains to High Life from bottles. Cans are a different story... completely different.

10-11-2003 06:18:40 | More by maek228
86MonteSS

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

The way I see it, Miller High Life has several things going for it. First of all, there's the commercials. Easily the best commercial series I've ever seen, these spots depicted the "High Life man" as a conservative suburbanite, transplanted from the 1960's into a day where pansies and nancy-boys occupy the neighborhood. Normally I wouldn't judge a beer based on it's commercial appeal, but this is Miller... who gives a shit.

Then there's the price. $10/30 pack for a beer that dances circles around Keystone and Busch.

Finally, there's the taste, which supercedes that of the vast majority of mass-produced beers out there. Add to this a lager-swilling chick sitting atop the crescent moon and voila, you're living the high life.

09-25-2003 05:54:39 | More by 86MonteSS
proc

2.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I am re-rating this one. This is vastly improved over what I remember. Bright yellow in color, with an aroma of cooked veggies. The taste, however, is surprsingly creamy with a very light, sweet taste. I have never really cared for this beer, but after re-sampling several after a year or so's time, I find it to be a decent, cheap beverage. Much better than MGD or Lite. I remember when this was Miller's premium beer up there competing with Budweiser.

09-11-2003 14:50:53 | More by proc
SetarconeX

1.85/5  rDev -31%

Champagne of Beers? Honestly, if I saw bubbles this big in my wine, I'd consider tossing it in the drain. Must be that Korbel shite that's always on sale 2 for 1. Picked this up for a buck and a half for a quart at a gas station, which actually makes it cheaper than the Pepsi they also sold there. Had to give it a whirl. Kinda wish I'd gotten the Pepsi. I like the new vanilla stuff.

A nice golden color to it, which in my opinion isn't as close to urine as some of the other reviews say. Or maybe my diet's just different. Still, I slap it with a penalty for having big obnoxious bubbles in the ample head. We're using a wine standard, after all, and they cling to the glass oddly. Like they're made out of glue or something.

Smell is truely unique. Somewhere between puke and old sneakers. I really wish I hadn't sniffed this one.

At first I thought it was kinda malty, but then I realized it's just very sugary. Not used to that. Finishes with a weak, hoppy rush. The hops really want to come out here, but they're too few, and too unpleasent. The sweetness overpowers what fuction they have in this brew.

Who ordered me the candy lager? There's worse tasting beers out there, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'll return to this one. If beer could be sold to grade schoolers, they'd drink this. This one's made me wonder if it's actually made by brewing candy corn...

*update, 10 minutes after initial review*

I can't finish a quart of this filth. Down the drain it goes!

09-09-2003 06:00:03 | More by SetarconeX
RoyalT

2.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance – Light yellow body with a smallish head that gave me the bob.

Smell – The typical grain aroma is complimented by a tinge of sweetness here, although I can’t make it out (essence of gummi bears, no doubt).

Taste – More on the sweet side then most macros. There also may be a hint of malt in there, but it’s hard to tell.

Mouthfeel – Decent mouthfeel and smooth on the cheeks. It’s actually kind of foamy in the mouth, which is strange because I didn’t get much head on the pour. User error maybe?

Drinkability – This is the High Life’s strong suit, IMHO. The sweetness helps this one go down well.

Comments – I was ruing the day when I had to face this beer again, because I sucked these down as a kid like they were the best things in the world. Now, after educating my pallet over the years, I have some perspective on it.

It really is the champagne of beers. The foamy mouthfeel is like a cheap bottle of Korbel stirred with a straw just before drinking. It’s also light and sweet, like many types of champagne.

It’s not so bad – and it brings back some great memories. Here’s to you!

08-21-2003 01:43:32 | More by RoyalT
TinusTime

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Miller High Life.. Where to begin. The High Life has been my lawnmower, hot weather, lack of funds, fall back beer since i was able to drink. It pours a pale straw yellow with a rather nice head which does actually stick around for a bit. The smell isnt much, some grain and a little sence of hoppiness. The flavour is crisp, perhaps a little too carbonated. I sometimes pour the glass and let it set for a moment so I dont turn into a belch factory. There is a sweetness to the beer at first , but then what hops there are team up and help give the beer a nice crisp clean finish. Over all I will choose the High Life over any Macro brew. Not only do i find it a refreshing nice everyday session beer, but it also brings back many memories. Good times... Good times...

08-09-2003 15:56:41 | More by TinusTime
BobLuvBeer

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Light golden color. Medium head. Citrus aroma. Crisp and lightly roasted malt flavor. Rustic hop flavor, with limited to no aftertaste. Good balance of malt and hop flavor. Might be all in my mind, but canned version seems to be lacking the citrus flavor which is prevalent in the bottled version. All in all, an excellent beer for the money. At $ 9.99 – $11.99 for a 30-can case, you would be hard pressed to find a better beer per can value. But for enjoyment, I would stick with the bottled version.

07-30-2003 02:37:07 | More by BobLuvBeer
CharlesRiver

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Served in a 12 oz clear glass bottle. Light straw yellow in color with a small white head that goes away quickly. Smell has hints of malt and thats about it. The taste is lacking. Malt, corn, straw, dust, something orange like and that is all I got. Aftertaste fades very quickly and had no real body.

Enough of that. Why did I buy this? Very simple. It was about 100 degrees in my house and all I wanted was something ice cold and refreshing. Guess what? This did the trick.

07-09-2003 16:00:39 | More by CharlesRiver
Jables

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

The King of Macro-Swill, no joke. The Champagne of beers is as good as it gets*( When buying in cases or more)
Smell is worthless, taste is corn and assorted adjuncts, mouthfeel of water and the drinkablilty is hindered by the off putting corn flavors

06-10-2003 15:34:29 | More by Jables
IrishRedRock

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

Ah, the high life. I've been drinking this stuff for years and never got around to reviewing it. As far as cheap macros go, this is one of the better ones. Normally I just suck this straight from the can, but for the review the pour is necessary. The huge fluffy head actually retains very well, leaving sticky froth everywhere as it recedes. It is of course, completely translucent. Nose has some grass and sweet malt in it.

This beer lacks the typical metallic taste that many of its kind have, especially as they warm. It also has some flavor, aside from dirty water, and no harsh astringent alcohol, most likely because the ABV is quite low. Sweet malt and a touch of wheat round out the flavor, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly not as carbonated as you would think, making it pretty damn smooth. This certainly is not what I would call a good beer, but it stands up very well against American lagers.

06-09-2003 18:43:57 | More by IrishRedRock
pootz

Ontario (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev 0%

The sample I had was made by Molson's Canadian brewery in Toronto (no SARS jokes please) Ontario Canada.

I'm gonna PO some of the "beer snots" again but, this is a good standard American lager. Better than most of the mega brews, not as good as some...but that is personal preference. It does have quality process and ingredients as it advertises....I just don't care for corn or rice in beer..too sweet for my personal taste......that's all.

Color: straw as a pale lager should be.
Poured into a very thick foamy head that stayed for 3/4 of the beer.
Aroma: sweet, boiled grains with a wisp of hops.
Start: mellow..lots grain and malt taste....very flavourful for an American mega brew
Palate: a medium body full of malt taste with a smooth sweet finish and slight hop after taste.
All in all, a great American lager. Seeing how no one made these sudz-o-phile reviews of beer when Miller was a main stay brew from Milwaukee at the turn of the century, I have no way to tell how this franchised modern drink compares to the traditional Miller of old.

I have the feeling that it is a familiar taste but not as heavy as the original American lagers.

06-08-2003 16:06:06 | More by pootz
Andreji

Colombia

2.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Nothing beyond the typical american beers and certainly does not deserve its motto: "the champagne of beers".

It pours an average golden tone, quite pale hinting a coloured water-like appearance, with an average foam head that fades in a few minutes. No defining or appealing smell is present throughout the experience. When drank, it appears rather watery and its most present flavour is a very, very mild alcohol feeling above its scarce sweetness or bitterness. That reduces the drinkability as well, because you can easily go get tap water and save yourself the trip.

05-25-2003 08:49:43 | More by Andreji
brewdlyhooked13

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

It's the kickoff of the Catholic festival season here in Cincinnati. Over the course of the summer there will be at least 30 churches having weekend-long festivals with rides, games of chance, food, conversation, and ice cold megabrew beer. You take whatever they supply and this past weekend the suppliers chose High Life on tap.

Pale yellow in color with a solid head, which easily lasted the duration. Smells a bit green, and on a warm evening tastes just fine. Just the slightest trace of malt, no more. Lots of bubbles, could create quite a headache in the morning if indulged in extensively. Very thirst quenching, or great with a Mett and french fries, or pizza, etc.

Not necessarily something I would purchase to store at the house, but if offered at a festival or similar outdoor event, it does the job adequately.

05-19-2003 10:50:15 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Rootdog316

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Miller High Life is a great all around beer. However, I wouldn't necessarily call it the "Champagne of Beers." I mean its good and all, but that title is very prestigious. I like the bottle it is in, very unique look. Its got a great taste, and one of my favorite beers around right now.

05-14-2003 23:45:34 | More by Rootdog316
sabrills70

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

Yellow water. Not much of anything her to even speak of. It's a standard mass produced American "beer". The only reason I even opened it is because a friend of mine left one in my fridge, and I don't like to waste beer, not even this one. I'm sure that there is a time and place that this would taste really good, I just don't know when or where it would be.

05-14-2003 19:56:13 | More by sabrills70
Edwin

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If you're like me, you love good beer, but can't always afford to drink it. When you're looking to entertain 10 of your buddies and need to buy in bulk, why not grab the High Life? Of all the lower-tiered beers (Bud, Coors, etc), I have to say that this is the one that stands out as the best. It is really easy to drink. People give it a bad rap because it is cheap, but not every beer can cst $30 a case (you snobs!).
The bottles are beautiful, and the slogan says it all: the Champagne Of Beers. There's even a girl sitting on the moon on the label. She loves to live the High Life, why shouldn't you?
If you're drinking in bulk ar just relaxing watching a baseball game, pick up a case and start living...the High Life. Enjoy!

05-08-2003 13:29:30 | More by Edwin
Tballz420

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%

A big fluffy white, and very inconsistant head tops this pale gold beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles. For about 12 bones you can get 30 of these guys. May not be the best beer in the world, but it cetainly isnt the worst. I used to be a king of beers guy for getting hammered, but this could be my new go to guy for the weekends.

05-03-2003 15:31:55 | More by Tballz420
usualpulp

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours very clear with a short white head. The looks are very average, and the smell is almost non existant. The mouthfeel is very thin, with a slight carbonation feel. The taste is surprisingly not bad, there are small hints of hop and corn, a slight crispness is there as well. Overall this would be a good beer on a hot day, but nothing you want to drink for flavor. For the price its a winner, it averages under $15 for a 30pk. If you want a good cheap beer, this one isnt bad, but it wouldnt be my first choice, PBR would be at the top of my cheap beer list. But this beer isnt too far behind.

04-30-2003 17:50:05 | More by usualpulp
WMBierguy

Maryland

1.08/5  rDev -59.7%

This beer is horrible. It doesn't look too bad, but open it up and experience the crappiness that is High Life. It smeels horrible and tastes even worse. No matter how cheap it is and how tempting it may be, do not buy Miller High Life. Pick up Pabst Blue Ribbon instead. Champagne of beers my ass.

04-26-2003 18:40:02 | More by WMBierguy
Dogbrick

Tried some from a pitcher at the Pirate's Adventure in Orlando. Keeping my streak alive of not paying for a beer I am positive I won't like. Fizzy yellow crap, and I would rather eat belly button lint than pay for something like this. High life indeed.

04-22-2003 12:11:31 | More by Dogbrick
far333

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

A few weeks ago I was visiting a buddy who is a brewer and never lacking great beer, but he had 4 Millers in the fridge that his father-in-law left behind. So we each cracked one for a goof. I have to say, it was much better than I expected. I had the misfortune of drinking a Bud a little while back, and the Miller easily blew that away. Miller's color is a deeper yellow, there is actually a faint hoppy aroma, and the taste is fairly smooth. No bitter aftertaste. The head is thin and leaves quickly, and yes it's watery without much character, but it goes down easy and is not offensive. If I find myself in a situation where it's Miller or nothing, I'll have a Miller with my host.

04-15-2003 04:19:49 | More by far333
AtLagerHeads

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

The "Champagne of Bottled Beers" was always such a treat in my youthful years. Like most clear-bottled beers you must get this one as fresh as possible or you're in for some strong skunk overtones. A clean, crisp beer, the Miller formula still works well enough and this is clearly BTB. Not a bad "go-to" beer if A-Bs are the only other choice. Clear yellow, quickly departing white head, and virtually no lace, but the malt body with adjuncts is tasty enough to satisfy. A bit of a forced carbonation bite in the mouthfeel.

04-13-2003 10:48:20 | More by AtLagerHeads
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.