Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,462
4.7/5  rDev +67.3%

I love this beer. I'll never understand the negative stigma this beer gets or how Miller Lite (which is LESS of a beer) COSTS MORE?!

The carbonation is the real gimmick of this beer, which just makes it extra easy to chug. When this beer is ice cold there are few better. Very pleasing to the palette, but its GOTTA BE BOTTLED! When you have it canned, you miss a little of the effervescence. This is right up there with Grain Belt Nordeast as the best AAL. Nothing that will blow you away but you could have 20 of these at a cookout and not feel full. I'm craving one right now.

4.63/5  rDev +64.8%

I think this beer has a place and a purpose. I drink it at the beach, on fishing trips ,or while playing golf. It is also consumed in large amounts. That means it is good.

A- Light sunshine color.
S- Smells like the gulf of Mexico and sun tanning lotion.
T- better than water.
M- Crisp and clean
D- Like I said, It is consumed in large anounts.

Drink Responsibly!

4.54/5  rDev +61.6%

It tastes in my opinion exactly like a Miller golden yellow beer should, but It's the carbonation that I just Love. Makes it feel so alive! I've never been a smooth beer drinker so Miller High Life is the perfect match for this guy :-) Cheers to livin' the high life

4.53/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is buy far the best beer for your money. Tastes great though maybe not less filling that high life lite. you can't beat that its tastes good and I only pay 7.99 for a 12ver of bottles. Not enough people appreciate a good crisp clean american lager. i poo on the beer snobs.

4.51/5  rDev +60.5%

It taste very much like Corona although it isn't as skunky as it once was, imo. I love the clear bottles, hey beer is pretty. Nice golden color. And the beer is defined by the corn. Of cheaper supermarket beers Miller isn't bad. If it was in cans, I'd opt for Old Milwaukee among the cheaper selectables, but in the clear bottles I'd grab the Miller High Life. It doesn't seem like there's really 12oz of beer in that little bottle. It goes fast.
True classic.

4.47/5  rDev +59.1%

Another one of my favorite beers. I love living the High Life.
Pretty cheap as well, about 17 a 30 case of cans. Definitely living the High Life.

Appearance: A tad bit misleading. Looks like piss the morning after drinking a whole hell of a lot the night before.

Smell: Smell directly from the can is very sweet with a hint of metal. Once poured out into a mug, the metallic smell completely disappears.

Taste: One of my favorites. Not only is it very refreshing on a hot day its also very refreshing on any day! Sweet and robust at the same time. Now dont let me convince you that I am saying it is very complex and intricate. It's definitely not. Just the best for its style IMHO.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy and perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: Could easily slam these down one after another with no problem.

I HIGHly recommend the High Life.

4.46/5  rDev +58.7%

Miller High Life is one of my favorite American macrobrews. It's the Champagne of Beers, and I like it. Here are the details:

Appearance: This may come as a shock to you, but Miller High Life looks exactly like...beer.

Smell: The smell is uh...uh...unique. It flat-out doesn't smell like any other beer that I've come across. Pungent, but sweet. And it's strong -- the fragrance of Miller High Life will quickly fill up even the largest indoor room. If it gets too powerful, open a window and let your next-door neighbors feel the love!

Taste: No bitterness whatsoever. It's sweet. Not sweet like Oreo Cookies or Froot Loops, but sweet like a fresh, warm corn tortilla with unsalted butter on top. Much richer in taste than most macrobrews, in my opinion. Although it's budget-priced at the moment, Miller High Life has "premium beer" flavor, especially if it's in a glass bottle or on tap.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is amazing. It's an explosion of tingles and smooth-as-silk texture. A truly awesome experience.

Drinkability: Miller High Life goes down very nicely. You'll find that it flows very well after the first few sips. However, it can seem to be very filling if you're not used to it, even a little heavy at times, especially when compared to other American classics such as Bud, Coors Original, or Rolling Rock. So I would recommend drinking 2 or 3 bottles maximum with some pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc., and hold off on drinking it as a session beer until you're a veteran High Life drinker.

Vito says, "Try a Miller High Life. You might dig it!"

4.38/5  rDev +55.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the champagne of beers - and for good reason. This is the beer of choice for folks that just want to drink beer. Those that want a beer that tastes like a double latte with 1 shot of vanilla, 1/2 shot of hazelnut, and light foamy milk, should try one of the microbeers in your area. However, at its current price point, packaging, and taste, you cannot go wrong bringing a 6 pack of high lifes to your best friend's bbq.

4.37/5  rDev +55.5%

I have no idea why miller doesn't make this it's main full flavor beer. This beer is cheap, yet it's one of their best.
What does one look for when drinking an american macro lager? He wants a smooth beer with some flavor, not too much (he wants it smooth and easy to drink a lot of). He wants a nice sweet smell as well. As far as american macro lagers, this takes the cake. Has nice flavor, and doesn't have that akward dryness that mgd has. Much better than MGD, miller needs to make this their main beer.

4.34/5  rDev +54.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really think this is an underrated beer. It is one of my favorite go to beers. I often drink it like a Mexican beer in the summer with some lime and salt. It's excellent and has a good refreshing flavor to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. I don't care much for Miller Lite, but regular Miller is the champagne of beers. One of my favorite American Lagers.

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

I want to place two thoughts into consideration. Let's compare macro brews with other macro brews. Let's also consider that union brewed beer produces family wage jobs which are more important than ever today. I like to think that my enjoyment of this beer is good for our economy. Miller High Life should be considered a "Classic Beer" with these considerations. The head is unique for macro brews. The creamy mouth feel can seem luxurious when only a lighter beer will satisfy my dry. The taste is consistently good for this style no matter how many glasses you drain. Along with PBR it is truly the working persons (or students) best option if you like to have six or more at a time without blowing out the budget and you want something that is refreshing and tastes good. I am very thankful that Miller High Life is still available at a reasonably low cost. This is known as "The High Life" for those of us who like to drink beer frequently within our budget. I envy anyone who can afford to do this with micro brews. I am willing to label Miller High Life as the champagne of beer for the common person. It deserves a lot of respect for this reason in comparison with other beers in it's class.

4.32/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a good example of an AAL. Not perfect, but a good example of the style. I use, and typically use, AALs when boiling brats or insertion into the business end of a whole chicken (for grilling).

A: Golden.
S: Corn
T: Corn.
M: Light and effervescent, with slight astringency in finish.

4.3/5  rDev +53%

When it comes to macro brew beers, Miller High life is the best. What better way to end a hard day at work than by cracking open a bottle of High Life.

Bud, Coors...you must be crazy!!! If you want a tastey beer at a tastey price, join the common sense movement ant vote HIGH LIFE!!!

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%

As far as Miller goes, high life is my favorite of them all. Maybe my favorite macro lager. I just love the effervescence when drank straight from the bottle. This is the champagne of beers, of course behind la fin du monde.

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A- golden, clear, very bubbly, minimal head retention. No lacing. Bright white foam.

S- a smell like corn. i can discern no hops. a very macro smell if you can dig it.

T- a medical like taste, or metallic taste. I would think the medical taste refers to pheynols but i wouldnt call this beer phenolic. a grainy taste, though adjuct they are.

M- this is one of the reasons i turn to high life. crisp and effervescent. light and refreshing. I could do the miller high life commercial. It is just light and crisp.

D- This is one of the most sessionable beers i have ever had. I would rather session with SNPA but if i havent the cash-money, i will turn to my friend mr 3.29 a sixer.

I rate beer according to style and this being my fav macro lager it gets an A.

if you dont agree i dont care. Beer advocate would be nothing if all we did was bash macro lagers.

4.24/5  rDev +50.9%

Drank straight from clear 12 oz glass bottle

A--First off, love the packaging. Retro-minimalist bottle, with my lovely moon lady greeting me. Poured a few ounces into glass to better review appearance and smell. Bright, golden, clear. Something different about High Life's color. Very gold. Almost bright yellow. Lively carbonation with small but respectable head.

S--Light malt, followed by corn. Detectable adjuncts.

T--Smooth breadiness at start. Corn/adjunct again, but acceptable. Out comes a pleasant, mild sweetness. Refreshing. Simple but not boring at all...like a familiar old friend. Minimal bitterness. Not really any detectable hoppiness

M--Light and refreshing, but definitely some body. Love the High Life aftertaste. Great lingering on palate.

D--Perhaps the ideal drinkable beer. FIVE all the way. I'm living the High Life. Are you? I unashamedly love this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%

Miller had an example of good beer, miller high life in a 40oz bottle, a lager made without rice, malt, hops, corn starch, and flavorful water, its blonde color is because to its clear and dry malt; good with mexican cheese and american food, try with mexican antojitos too, serve in a glass mug previously cooled, with lime too; 92% recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Review #1000.

Appearance: Perfectly clear pale straw gold. Head is bright-white, creamy, and bubbly. Decent retention from a lively carbonation keeps at least a clump of a cap for the duration. A few splotches and small notches of lacing. Forms a nice web as the beer goes down.

Smell: Grass, corn husk. Sweet, super sweet. Cereal grains. Lots of grass and hay husk. Pale malt. Corn syrup sweetness. A soft touch of lager yeast under it all. Solidly earthy hop profile, especially as it warms. A touch of cracker in the back with some soggy white bread. A soft push of alcohol runs through the back. Not a ton of depth or complexity.

Taste: Sweet corn and grass clippings. Sweet pale malt. Slightly earthy with some soft herbal elements. Hay, straw, and grass. Corn husk. Cereal grain. Soft touch of alcohol on the back. A little dirty. Husk and grain. Sweet, very sweet. Light corn syrup. Dirt. Warming waters everything down and produces a bland mix of straw and old grass clippings. Sweetness persists through each sip but never really increases or becomes cloying. Flavor flashes on the initial sip and finishes immediately with almost nothing left.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a moderate to high carbonation. Slightly crisp. A little slick on the finish.

Overall: Celebrate in style.

This is still my go-to when slumming it. It's sweet without being syrupy and the carbonation isn't too high. It goes down quick and easy with minimal fuss and warms better than just about anything in the style. I drank this at midnight on my 21st birthday and it's nice to revisit it for the beer it actually is after a long hiatus. You could do a lot worse.

4.21/5  rDev +49.8%

What can I say. I love Miller High Life.

It is just as good from a can as from a bottle but cheaper!

This is the one beer I keep going back to. It never disapoints. It is inexpensive, smooth, easy to drink, goes great with almost any food, it does not have any off flavors and does not give me a hang over.

It is not complex, bitter or hoppy, it is just a simple lager that is super refreshing.
Sometimes that is all your want.

Long Live the High Life!!!

4.21/5  rDev +49.8%

Have to review this beer to style, and it is my favorite American Macro. A consistent performer that is classically American in style.

A - Nice golden yellow , very bright and clear
S - Malted corn smell with a light aroma
T - Great taste (again to style) with clean flavor, a sweeter corn
taste and very fresh and crisp
M - Just average here, although the carbonation adds to the
crispness of this beer
D - Very drinkable for this style. With other american macros I get
bloated (carbonation, maybe) but this is easily a sessionable
lager. Especially at the local bar after work with the gang, this
beer is a good choice (my opinion)

Once again , as reviewed to style I really enjoy this beer. "Champagne of beers" may not be the most appropriate name, but maybe the "Champagne of Macro Lagers". For anyone looking for a good American Macro to try, this is a good bet.

4.15/5  rDev +47.7%

Up north at the cabin I pulled out of the refrigerator a gleaming-gold icy cold can and poured into a classic pilsner glass found at a garage sale for 5 cents. Having felt a rush for nostalgia here's my review.

Appearance is a brilliant clear yellow-gold with a frothy white head that lingers for a few minutes then settles to a thin layer for the duration. Aroma is dominated by flowery noble hops with an underlying hint of corn flakes. There's malt in there, too, reminding me of Grape nuts. Taste is much the same as the aroma with big flavors of noble hops but restrained bitterness making this an incredibly smooth beer. There's acutally quite a bit of malt flavor here, and some corn flakes, but the hop flavor and malt dominate. Finishes smooth with a touch of sweetness that complements the noble hops.

This beer tastes way better now than it ever has and I was pleasantly surprised by the full flavor and hop presence.

4.13/5  rDev +47%

Straw color with a full white head and very active carbonation. Balanced grain, fruity, corn aroma and flavor. Light-medium bodied, refreshing and smooth without a lot of cooked-corn character.

I prefer the bottled version over the cans ... seemed to have much better carbonation and liveliness. Very nice American macro -- one of the best actually and one of my favorites.

Per MIller website: 4.7% ABV, 143 cal., & 13.1g Carb

'08155' lasered on bottle
Tasted: 05/25/05

4.13/5  rDev +47%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer.

4.13/5  rDev +47%

I am convinced that my Dad and Uncles were right about this beer. Unlike Pop's favorite, Hamm's, High Life ranks right up there with good, clean drinkable beer. It is a fine example of taste, price, look, mouthfeel and it has no lingering effects of YUCK afterwords. For the price, drink the crap out of this.

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom.

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

Has maybe the best head and lacing of an American Lager I've tasted. A quality beer especially considering the value price point. Not fancy but solid.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.