Join our email list →

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,089 | Hads: 3,500
2.16/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from the 2008 Limited Edition Fall Series can. The cool camo pattern made me want to drink this in the forest.

A: Golden straw color with minimal carbonation from big bubbles. The soapy white head starts out strong, and then falls to a faint ring around the edge of the beer. Leaves no lace.

S: The aroma of over boiled corn and steamed cabbage on top of apple cider greets the nose. Thankfully, these scents are mild. Any stronger and the beer would be offensive.

T: Like the nose, the flavors are mild. Mild enough that at freezing or below, this beer doesn't really taste like much. Don't let this beer warm up, as the taste of corn grits and boiled veggies rules the day. Not terribly sweet. Bitterness provides balance but no flavor. Finishes with a lingering metallic taste.

M: Light body is fizzy and a little chalky.

D: Not as bad as the Miller beers that slot in below the High Life price point. That's the best praise I can give. I would never buy this. I made it about ¼ of the way through my glass before I poured it out.

2.16/5  rDev -23.1%

That's right, Miller Freakin' High Life. A friend left a few of these in my fridge, and I'm taking the opportunity to review one. It's not the first macro I've had, not even the first macro I've reviewed.

Poured ice cold, as is best for the style.

Appearance: Completely transparent light-yellow body, one-finger white head that dissipates quickly. Slight effervescence from the bottom of the glass. There's even a touch of lacing. I've got to say, for the style, it's not a bad appearance.

Smell: Corn, very sweet corn. Lots of adjunct malt. Almost citrusy. Is it a good aroma? Well, by craft beer standards, it's horrible, but it's reasonable for a macro. Nothing actively unpleasant, at least, which is more than I can say for a lot of beers, even a lot of craft.

Taste: Sweet up front, lots of fermented corn, dry on the finish and cloyingly sweet on the aftertaste. I always make sure I have something better to wash it down later and get the flavor out of my mouth.

Mouthfeel: It's basically water, with a very slight carbonation. It's clean, but it doesn't give you anything to hold onto.

Drinkability: Eh, I'll drink it if you set it in front of me or give it to me free. It's basically alcoholic water. You don't drink it for flavor, you drink it for the effects. Still, not actively unpleasant and there are worse macros out there.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a can into a martini glass...working with limited resources here people! And its better than out of the can...

Appearance: Piss-yellow colour. Very little head. Completely clear

Smell: Very strongly of corn. Hoppy as well, but still eclipsed by the skunkiness.

Taste: Not horrible. Interesting for a clearly adjunct-based lager. Very sweet and almost reminds me of sniffing turpentine or rubber cement. Like something your mom tells you not to smell/drink because it will kill your brain cells (even though it smells good).

Mouthfeel: Smooth but very carbonated. Leaves an unfortunate taste in your mouth.

Drinkability: Not the greatest for binge drinking but still very good. Easy to drink but not very good tasting either.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Wow! This beer pours a nice clear golden hue with almost perfect clarity. To bad the rest of the beer wasent as nice as its looks. I found the smell to be almost unexistent. The taste was not impressive and it was not smooth at all I could barely finish it. I remember drinking and hating it when I was 16 and my mind had not changed since on this beer.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Macado's Halloween 2009 shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale golden color. Has a thin, fizzy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

Smell: Sweet and grainy with a metallic twinge. Pretty weak...

Taste: Very light on taste. Starts slightly bitter. Finishes bitter and sickly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, and way too carbonated.

Drinkability: "The Champagne of Beers?" Please. The only connection this beer has to champagne is color and carbonation level. This is a good beer for quick, repeated consumption. Nothing else. It's slightly better out of a bottle.

2.14/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Pilsner glass.

a - watery gold in color, extremely thin and light head, but it isn't dissipating.

s - oats, corn, and lime

t - much better than the smell. Grainy, oat flavor start. Mild citrus, watery finish.

m - Okay to start, but gets kind of too much acid at the end.

o - Not much going on, but it's drinkable.

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Okay, not gonna lie, I'm making this my 20th review so that I can add a beer that I'd really like to give a review and also because I had enough of these in the days that I might owe it to the champagne of beers as well...

Appearance- Pours the usual shade of macro golden/straw yellow, though to be honest, you don't really need to pour it given the clear bottle which gives you a nice view and increases the skunky flavor. However, gotta give it some extra points for a fairly sizeable head that dies fairly quickly, but is much more impressive than many other macro lagers.

Smell- To be honest, not very offensive, but very little going on here. Smells of the faintest bit of grain and corn.

Taste- Pretty much carbonated water. I find this to be less offensive then many other macro lagers (see my Natty review...) without too many offputting tastes. However, really all I detect aside from the wateriness is a slight bit of grain, a bit of adjunct, and a touch of skunk. Not great, but not the worst.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Very very thin and highly carbonated. Again...like carbonated water. Given the thin mouthfeel and not too terribly offensive flavor, could probably kick back a few of these if I had to but would prefer not to. Overcarbonation however, does hurt drinkability a bit.

Overall, not the worst macro lager, but by no means my favorite. Don't intend to drink much more of this in the future, but certainly served its purpose in the past.

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a clear golden straw color with some white head that dissipates in an instant. The nose has little more than the standard AAL scent. The flavor has that typical crony sweetness to it but the sweet notes are not as heavy as the average AAL. The finish has lingering sweetness that makes one want to keep sipping.

As a bonus, this offering is proudly union-made by UAW workers.

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Oh Miller High Life... Where do I start, but most likely where do I end?

It has the appereance of every pale, armoaless(unless you're counting the smell of lost dreams) American macro

The taste is that of grains and machinery.

The mouthfeel is that of a very similar quality beverage... Water (except H20 is the essence of life and really no way comparable when all things considered).

But alas the drinkability of MHL is it's only "redeming" quality. It goes down "easy" and does what alcohol does best.

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: "The Champagne of Beers" pours a clear gold with a thick, frothy white head.

Aroma: Corn on the nose, with little or no hops apparent. Slighty skunky.

Taste: Almost not flavor. Some grainy notes, but not much of anything.

Mouthfeel: Quite light and slightly sweet. No excessive carbonation, which is good.

Drinkability: If you need a decent tasting beer to get a good buzz, by this in the convenient 32 oz. can; otherwise, approach with caution.

2.12/5  rDev -24.6%

Miller High Life, after a good hard pour, nets a huge fluffy
head over a clear yellow brew. The nose is your usual
macro lager corn and rice funk. The flavor is slightly sweet
corn up front and the merest hint of some kind of hop in the
finish. Dunno- I've heard High Life is incrementally better
than other kinds of macro lagers, but I sure can't pick up on
it. Mouthfeel is light, but not quite watery. I expect the blaze
orange empties of this brew will be littering the woods around
deer camps all over the country this winter. Hopefully nobody
gets their asses capped because of it.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

This pours a pale clear yellow with a medium white head. Very pale and watery looking,making this not very attractive. The smell is only a hint of vegatables,corn, and nothing else. It was so weak it's almost nonexistant. The taste is weak and watery with veggies,corn, and sweet malt. Really, their's not much to talk about. The m/f is light and the weak flavors mix OK. This is what it is. A beer that should be served ice cold to hide it's imperfections.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Light amber color, tending to gold. 1 finger head. Surprisingly strong legs.

S - Skunky.

T - Can definitely taste corn, with sweet aftertaste. Almost like celery.

M - Watery from start to finish.

D - Drinkability is this beer's strong suit.

When reviewing a beer like Miller High Life, it's time to take off the hat of the beer snob and put on the hat of the barfly. This is a beer for roadhouses, frat parties, and fishing trips, and should be evaluated as such.

Having said that, my opinion is that other American Macrobrews (Bud, MGD, Coors) offer more bang for their buck. Even against this undistinguished competition, Miller High Life is a straggler.

2.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Picked up a six pack of tallboys for $4.88 on a whim. One of my friends who also loves beer said it's his cheap beer of choice, so figured I'd try it instead PBR, which is my typical cheap beer I keep in the fridge.

Served a cool fridge temp into a pint glass. I prefer drinking cheap beer straight from the can, but I'm surprised how fluffy the pure-white head is, and how much lace it leaves behind. The rest of is appearance is a crystal clear and a couple shades too-light golden color.

Not much I like in the aroma. It's a metallic, sugary mess that has very little resemblance to real beer, even a real light lager. I'm searching here, and I can hardly smell anything that smells like malts or hops.

Flavors aren't much better. While it isn't grossing me out, I hardly taste anything that I associate with "beer." More of that metallic sweetness, with maybe a bit more subtle light malts and fleeting bitterness. Finish is clean and short, light but not watery body.

Definitely not a replacement for PBR. I'll drink the rest of the sixer, and would probably accept it before most of the light beers at a party, but this is definitely a pass. If you really like corny sweetness in your beer, it might be up your alley. Drink it cold, drink it fast before it warms up.

2.09/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz can from a 30-pk purchased at a local grocery store for $13.99. Freshness date? Good one! "The Champagne of beers." Hmm.

Pours a clear, pale straw color. One inch of white foam perched on top of the beer for a surprisingly long time. Quite a lot of lace. It's not a beautiful looking beer, by any means, but I was expecting much worse.

Corny in the nose, with a faint whiff of Pepe Le Pew.

Not as skunky tasting as I thought it would be, but nothing seems to take it's place. It's like drinking a beer void. Good tasting, if you think bland is good.

Thin, watery mouthfeel. Nothing to see here, please move along.

Very drinkable, primarily because it doesn't seem to place any demands on the palate the way a beer with flavor would. While it tastes better than the Budweiser I recently drank, that's like saying a Gremlin was a better car than a Pacer - it could be true, but does anyone really care?

2.08/5  rDev -26%

So I am not very enthusiastic about this beer. Much better than most adjuncts though.

Pours a pale straw color with a decent enough head and a little lacing. Smells of sweet corn and some florals. Tastes semi-sweet with a little hop bitterness playing with the palate. Mouthfeel is pretty thin and needs major work. Good carbonation. Poor drinkability.

2.08/5  rDev -26%

Cleaning out the fridge to go shopping tomorrow on my day off Veterans Day (yes I work for the Feds). I had two bottles of this. Note: This is NOT my beer, my father drinks mostly this and PBR. He left it. I had to dispose of it. Might as well find out if it is as bad as I remember.

Appearance: Pale gold, small head that disappeared after one sip. No lacing. Bubbly (it is the "Champagne of Beers). All downhill from here.
Smell: Not much here, although I was surprised it was not skunked, being in a clear bottle and in my fridge for a month.
Taste: Slightly sweet on the outset, slightly bitter finish, made my stomach hurt.
Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated, watery.
Drinkability: Should be high, but I struggled to put 2 down. For some reason I have never really liked Miller products, even though I don't think they are that drastically different than the other macros in content.

32 ounce bottle purchased from Ralphs in El Segundo

Not the champagne of beers in any sense

Pour was golden brown with a lot of dense head

Smell was nasty, just like the light, something smells old about it

Taste was a little strong for what it was and too sweet

Could drink that many of these, but a fair amount

2.08/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 32 oz. can into a dimpled beer mug. This is the 8th beer in my hunt to find America's great adjunct lager.

A-Yellow, straw, and hints of gold. It pours a thin white bubbly and sudsy head that leaves some sticky lace, believe it or not.

S-Corn, malt, rice, a slight grainy smell.

T-sweet corn and a grainy taste. There are hints of malt in the aftertaste, perhaps even a metallic taste, mixed with some soda cracker crunch, too. It's not bad and not good.

M-Wet with a moderate body. It is a great thirst quencher when it's hot outside. Crisp and refreshing. I can drink a bunch and feel fine.

Overall, my great American adjunct lager hunt is almost finished. I have a couple more on my radar. This one rates up there with Bud and PBR. This brew is not great, it's just an adjunct. I can't say anything more about it.

2.06/5  rDev -26.7%

The beer after is release from the 12-ounce clear bottle sets in the glass a transparent gold with a modest bright white heat that is creamy in texture and after its desiccation leaves a thin sheet of lace to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, sweet and clean with the start lightly malted and somewhat sweet, top cadaverous. Finish is mild in acidity, the hops meek and mild, dry aftertaste.

2.06/5  rDev -26.7%

This brewskie poured from a can into my pils glass with one half finger of fluffy white head. It then shot right down and left a bit of coarse lacing on the way. The beer is a pale yellow and crystal clear like most American macro lagers.

Nose is about like the keystone I just tried (cheap beer night) with some faint malty note that lean a bit to corn side. A faint DMS aroma is apparent. Taste is not so hot. That DMS came back and it has a bit of a over-the-hill character akin to wet cardboard....i.e. oxidation. Body is light and the carbonation is a bit astringent. I don't think I'll having another, unless is all that's left in the boat.

2.05/5  rDev -27%

Another pale golden macro lager, though oddly more enjoyable then most. The smell and taste smack of grain and corn. The Champagne of beers is definitely highly carbonated, making it somewhat refreshing. I wish I could put a finger on what it is that makes this beer more drinkable then a lot of the others in the category.

***WARNING: DO NOT LET THIS BEER WARM-UP!!! IF YOU DO, IT COULD LEAD TO A RATHER NASTY EXPERIENCE***

2.05/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener

L -- clear pale yellow, 1/2 to 3/4-inch pure white head that dissapears quickly. looks like water with yellow food coloring in it. maybe a hint of gold. very little lacing.

S -- sour-spoiled corn

T -- like it smells. weak, sour corn and not much else. very little hop bite, no great taste on the back end. just sour corn.

F -- fine carbonation, nothing fancy

0 -- four months ago, I would've given this thing higher ratings probably by 1 point on average across the board, but after experiencing the Chimays, Rochefort 6, Stone's Enjoy By and Arrogant Bastard and IPA, not to mention some decent local brews, this fizzy yellow corn water just doesn't hold up. Not by comparison.

I hate scoring it so low, though, because I've always considered it a better choice than most American macro-brewery beers. Much better than any of the "lights" for sure. And when you factor in price, it used to seem like the best beer going for my tastes.

I'll come back to it in 6 months or a year and give it another shot ... maybe not drink beer for a week or more then open one of these. They used to hit the spot.

2.05/5  rDev -27%

The King of Macro-Swill, no joke. The Champagne of beers is as good as it gets*( When buying in cases or more)
Smell is worthless, taste is corn and assorted adjuncts, mouthfeel of water and the drinkablilty is hindered by the off putting corn flavors

2.05/5  rDev -27%

Packing 4.7% ABV into this lightly golden color with a fluffy white head is kinda of impressive, I can understand why the 32oz bottles are enjoyed by frat kids, homeless dudes looking for something fancy and when your at a party and the beer is free...Great to drink when it's hotter than hell and water is just not available...maybe...it could happen.

But you know what you're getting yourself into when you pick up a Miller High Life, the champagne of beers of course!

And I've got to say the picture with the empty forties is the icing on the cake.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.