Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,074 | Hads: 3,382
2.28/5  rDev -21.4%

Well this was given to me for free at the liquor store.
Poured a very pale yellow, highly carbonated, apart from it's two finger large bubbled white head, this actually does look like champagne. Laced in partial rings, head remained as a film. I guess the marketing isn't lying there, but of course why should a beer look like champagne?
Malty, cereal aroma, like when you first open a box of rice crispies, a touch of lemon.
Lightly malted taste, a little bitter.
Light feel (that word came to mind a lot when drinking).
It's not horrible, nothing would stand it the way if you wanted to drink a lot, on the other hand there is nothing there that would make you want to drink a lot. (688 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Presented in a clear bottle with nice "Champagne of Beer" labeling. Clear yellow with a fizzy, foamy head. Not much aroma, a hint of malt and adjunct. Taste is more of the same - crisp, clean, generic macro beer. Not bad - in fact, it went perfectly with the chili I made today. Still, though, this is not exactly a high-quality brew. (334 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -55.9%

I used to drink this stuff all the time, so I decided to revisit it. At $10.49 a case of bottles, it is extremely cheap. Crystal clear golden color, with a short lived white head. Smells of corn and malt. Tastes extremely sweet, and gainy, not very good at all. Not a beer to buy. (280 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -41%

High Life it pours a pale yellow, looks like straw with a tiny head and lots of carbonation. It looks kind of like sprite with yellow food coloring. The taste is very bland and carbonated, just not impressive at all. The champagne of beers as right as far as carbonation goes, but not as far as taste. A real dissapointment. (324 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -6.6%

Another in the string of macros I decided to reacquaint myself with while waiting to make the first of my beer-shopping runs in Indy. Poured from the standard 12oz. clear bottle, this brew had a clear golden color and a bubbly white head. The smell was mainly of pale malt and some very mild citrus aroma.
The taste was sort of bland, mainly grainy malt, a bit of straw, and a light, oh-so-faint bitterness in the finish. Still, this beer has a certain light, refreshing quality to it that makes it pretty easy to drink, especially if you don’t let it get anywhere close to room temperature. While I can think of a huge number of other beers I’d rather drink, if I’m going to drink a mass-produced American lager, I’d take this over a Bud or Coors any day. (761 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -26.6%

Appearance: "The Champagne of Beers" pours a clear gold with a thick, frothy white head.

Aroma: Corn on the nose, with little or no hops apparent. Slighty skunky.

Taste: Almost not flavor. Some grainy notes, but not much of anything.

Mouthfeel: Quite light and slightly sweet. No excessive carbonation, which is good.

Drinkability: If you need a decent tasting beer to get a good buzz, by this in the convenient 32 oz. can; otherwise, approach with caution. (469 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer actually tastes pretty damn good (for the price). It pours a nice golden colour with a fluffy white head and the aromas are of tea, faint hops, citrus, and background malt. The taste is lightly hoppy, refreshing, malty and tangy. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing as hell and the drinkability is excellent as well. I really hate macro beers and I very rarely drink them...but if you are strapped for cash, or just want a good old-fashioned brew...than the high life is for you!

(496 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +31%

Miller High Life. Its the perfect beer for a hot summer day. As long as the temperature difference between the air and beer is >40 F I can slug this stuff down without batting an eye. But as soon as the air temp drops below 75 its hard to drink. Yes its a cheap mass produced beer but its the cheapest beer I can buy in a bottle ($5.67/ 12 pack).

I drink more of it than anything else. I would go broke if I tried to drink nothing but Belgians year round. (462 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +9.3%

Miller High Life. What can you say? It is pretty cheap (perfect for a college student such as myself) and it goes down easy, although not too easy like some beers that are reminiscent of water.

The beer itself is quite carbonated and has a respectable head that retains throughout the whole beer. Its taste is a hair above average, but High Life's strongest suit is it's consistency. From the second it hits your lips to the moment it ends its journey in your belly, you are never unpleased. It is consistently good. Not consistently great, just good.

Appearances usually hold no clout in the realm of beer critiquing. This just isn't holding true in H.L.'s case. The beer has such a cool aura to it. The sleek bottle design, the 1920's looking lady sitting on the moon, the color scheme....it's just a perfect design. Too bad we're not rating the design on the bottle...the apperance of the beer itself is totally average. gold yellow with lots of champagne like head.

I'd like to add on alil side note: Wow. What a difference drinking from a can and a bottle makes. High Life gives the biggest quality drop in the transition from bottles to cans of any other beer. High Life from a can tastes like cheap swill. On the other hand, Miller High Life from a bottle tastes like a damn fine beer. My review only pertains to High Life from bottles. Cans are a different story... completely different. (1,412 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +5.9%

The way I see it, Miller High Life has several things going for it. First of all, there's the commercials. Easily the best commercial series I've ever seen, these spots depicted the "High Life man" as a conservative suburbanite, transplanted from the 1960's into a day where pansies and nancy-boys occupy the neighborhood. Normally I wouldn't judge a beer based on it's commercial appeal, but this is Miller... who gives a shit.

Then there's the price. $10/30 pack for a beer that dances circles around Keystone and Busch.

Finally, there's the taste, which supercedes that of the vast majority of mass-produced beers out there. Add to this a lager-swilling chick sitting atop the crescent moon and voila, you're living the high life. (739 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I am re-rating this one. This is vastly improved over what I remember. Bright yellow in color, with an aroma of cooked veggies. The taste, however, is surprsingly creamy with a very light, sweet taste. I have never really cared for this beer, but after re-sampling several after a year or so's time, I find it to be a decent, cheap beverage. Much better than MGD or Lite. I remember when this was Miller's premium beer up there competing with Budweiser. (453 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -37.6%

Champagne of Beers? Honestly, if I saw bubbles this big in my wine, I'd consider tossing it in the drain. Must be that Korbel shite that's always on sale 2 for 1. Picked this up for a buck and a half for a quart at a gas station, which actually makes it cheaper than the Pepsi they also sold there. Had to give it a whirl. Kinda wish I'd gotten the Pepsi. I like the new vanilla stuff.

A nice golden color to it, which in my opinion isn't as close to urine as some of the other reviews say. Or maybe my diet's just different. Still, I slap it with a penalty for having big obnoxious bubbles in the ample head. We're using a wine standard, after all, and they cling to the glass oddly. Like they're made out of glue or something.

Smell is truely unique. Somewhere between puke and old sneakers. I really wish I hadn't sniffed this one.

At first I thought it was kinda malty, but then I realized it's just very sugary. Not used to that. Finishes with a weak, hoppy rush. The hops really want to come out here, but they're too few, and too unpleasent. The sweetness overpowers what fuction they have in this brew.

Who ordered me the candy lager? There's worse tasting beers out there, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'll return to this one. If beer could be sold to grade schoolers, they'd drink this. This one's made me wonder if it's actually made by brewing candy corn...

*update, 10 minutes after initial review*

I can't finish a quart of this filth. Down the drain it goes! (1,501 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance – Light yellow body with a smallish head that gave me the bob.

Smell – The typical grain aroma is complimented by a tinge of sweetness here, although I can’t make it out (essence of gummi bears, no doubt).

Taste – More on the sweet side then most macros. There also may be a hint of malt in there, but it’s hard to tell.

Mouthfeel – Decent mouthfeel and smooth on the cheeks. It’s actually kind of foamy in the mouth, which is strange because I didn’t get much head on the pour. User error maybe?

Drinkability – This is the High Life’s strong suit, IMHO. The sweetness helps this one go down well.

Comments – I was ruing the day when I had to face this beer again, because I sucked these down as a kid like they were the best things in the world. Now, after educating my pallet over the years, I have some perspective on it.

It really is the champagne of beers. The foamy mouthfeel is like a cheap bottle of Korbel stirred with a straw just before drinking. It’s also light and sweet, like many types of champagne.

It’s not so bad – and it brings back some great memories. Here’s to you! (1,134 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -5.9%

Miller High Life.. Where to begin. The High Life has been my lawnmower, hot weather, lack of funds, fall back beer since i was able to drink. It pours a pale straw yellow with a rather nice head which does actually stick around for a bit. The smell isnt much, some grain and a little sence of hoppiness. The flavour is crisp, perhaps a little too carbonated. I sometimes pour the glass and let it set for a moment so I dont turn into a belch factory. There is a sweetness to the beer at first , but then what hops there are team up and help give the beer a nice crisp clean finish. Over all I will choose the High Life over any Macro brew. Not only do i find it a refreshing nice everyday session beer, but it also brings back many memories. Good times... Good times... (769 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +3.8%

Light golden color. Medium head. Citrus aroma. Crisp and lightly roasted malt flavor. Rustic hop flavor, with limited to no aftertaste. Good balance of malt and hop flavor. Might be all in my mind, but canned version seems to be lacking the citrus flavor which is prevalent in the bottled version. All in all, an excellent beer for the money. At $ 9.99 – $11.99 for a 30-can case, you would be hard pressed to find a better beer per can value. But for enjoyment, I would stick with the bottled version. (503 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -4.5%

Served in a 12 oz clear glass bottle. Light straw yellow in color with a small white head that goes away quickly. Smell has hints of malt and thats about it. The taste is lacking. Malt, corn, straw, dust, something orange like and that is all I got. Aftertaste fades very quickly and had no real body.

Enough of that. Why did I buy this? Very simple. It was about 100 degrees in my house and all I wanted was something ice cold and refreshing. Guess what? This did the trick. (479 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%

The King of Macro-Swill, no joke. The Champagne of beers is as good as it gets*( When buying in cases or more)
Smell is worthless, taste is corn and assorted adjuncts, mouthfeel of water and the drinkablilty is hindered by the off putting corn flavors (253 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

Ah, the high life. I've been drinking this stuff for years and never got around to reviewing it. As far as cheap macros go, this is one of the better ones. Normally I just suck this straight from the can, but for the review the pour is necessary. The huge fluffy head actually retains very well, leaving sticky froth everywhere as it recedes. It is of course, completely translucent. Nose has some grass and sweet malt in it.

This beer lacks the typical metallic taste that many of its kind have, especially as they warm. It also has some flavor, aside from dirty water, and no harsh astringent alcohol, most likely because the ABV is quite low. Sweet malt and a touch of wheat round out the flavor, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly not as carbonated as you would think, making it pretty damn smooth. This certainly is not what I would call a good beer, but it stands up very well against American lagers. (910 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -7.6%

The sample I had was made by Molson's Canadian brewery in Toronto (no SARS jokes please) Ontario Canada.

I'm gonna PO some of the "beer snots" again but, this is a good standard American lager. Better than most of the mega brews, not as good as some...but that is personal preference. It does have quality process and ingredients as it advertises....I just don't care for corn or rice in beer..too sweet for my personal taste......that's all.

Color: straw as a pale lager should be.
Poured into a very thick foamy head that stayed for 3/4 of the beer.
Aroma: sweet, boiled grains with a wisp of hops.
Start: mellow..lots grain and malt taste....very flavourful for an American mega brew
Palate: a medium body full of malt taste with a smooth sweet finish and slight hop after taste.
All in all, a great American lager. Seeing how no one made these sudz-o-phile reviews of beer when Miller was a main stay brew from Milwaukee at the turn of the century, I have no way to tell how this franchised modern drink compares to the traditional Miller of old.

I have the feeling that it is a familiar taste but not as heavy as the original American lagers. (1,163 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -23.8%

Nothing beyond the typical american beers and certainly does not deserve its motto: "the champagne of beers".

It pours an average golden tone, quite pale hinting a coloured water-like appearance, with an average foam head that fades in a few minutes. No defining or appealing smell is present throughout the experience. When drank, it appears rather watery and its most present flavour is a very, very mild alcohol feeling above its scarce sweetness or bitterness. That reduces the drinkability as well, because you can easily go get tap water and save yourself the trip. (575 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%

It's the kickoff of the Catholic festival season here in Cincinnati. Over the course of the summer there will be at least 30 churches having weekend-long festivals with rides, games of chance, food, conversation, and ice cold megabrew beer. You take whatever they supply and this past weekend the suppliers chose High Life on tap.

Pale yellow in color with a solid head, which easily lasted the duration. Smells a bit green, and on a warm evening tastes just fine. Just the slightest trace of malt, no more. Lots of bubbles, could create quite a headache in the morning if indulged in extensively. Very thirst quenching, or great with a Mett and french fries, or pizza, etc.

Not necessarily something I would purchase to store at the house, but if offered at a festival or similar outdoor event, it does the job adequately. (829 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -8.6%

Miller High Life is a great all around beer. However, I wouldn't necessarily call it the "Champagne of Beers." I mean its good and all, but that title is very prestigious. I like the bottle it is in, very unique look. Its got a great taste, and one of my favorite beers around right now. (287 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -42.1%

Yellow water. Not much of anything her to even speak of. It's a standard mass produced American "beer". The only reason I even opened it is because a friend of mine left one in my fridge, and I don't like to waste beer, not even this one. I'm sure that there is a time and place that this would taste really good, I just don't know when or where it would be. (358 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If you're like me, you love good beer, but can't always afford to drink it. When you're looking to entertain 10 of your buddies and need to buy in bulk, why not grab the High Life? Of all the lower-tiered beers (Bud, Coors, etc), I have to say that this is the one that stands out as the best. It is really easy to drink. People give it a bad rap because it is cheap, but not every beer can cst $30 a case (you snobs!).
The bottles are beautiful, and the slogan says it all: the Champagne Of Beers. There's even a girl sitting on the moon on the label. She loves to live the High Life, why shouldn't you?
If you're drinking in bulk ar just relaxing watching a baseball game, pick up a case and start living...the High Life. Enjoy! (732 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -14.5%

A big fluffy white, and very inconsistant head tops this pale gold beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles. For about 12 bones you can get 30 of these guys. May not be the best beer in the world, but it cetainly isnt the worst. I used to be a king of beers guy for getting hammered, but this could be my new go to guy for the weekends. (329 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.