Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

A. Can. Fizzy yellow liquid with a bit of head and no stick.

S. Very very light here, some grains and not much else.

T. Well there is very little taste here. One of the most flavorless beers I have ever experienced. Some gritty grains, faint sweetness, carbonation and water is all I could notice.

M. Light and watery. Carbonated water.

D. I was able to get this down by just focusing on the fact it was cold. Though not any where near an award winner, its far better than Miller Light.

An incredibly poor beer. When poured into a glass, the head transforms into a sort of soapy amalgam which adheres to the glass, sure, it's lacey, but not tasty. The overall mouthfeel resembles the likes of grain alcohol mixed with burnt corn kernels, along with a hint of sticky carbonation. I hate this beer. Then again, if I'm in the mood to live the high life, I'll bury a 12 pack of it and not bust my wallet.

2.49/5  rDev -6.7%

I genuinely do not care for this beer at all...Firstly, it is bottled in clear glass (big no-no) but I guess it doesnt matter because the beer tastes the same either way. Secondly, it is priced the same as Natural Light (Im assuming its main competition)...Thirdly, it is THE clearest looking beer that I have ever seen...it looks like water with a drop of yellow food coloring! The taste is terrible, but better than Natty I guess..Overall this beer was made for college people with college budgets

1.92/5  rDev -28.1%

I finally broke down and bought this after seeing all those commercials on TV. Although I may qualify to be eligible for the "High Life," I don't know if I was not it anymore and I am kind of sad I have 5 more left.

A: Pours a clear, golden body with a surprisingly white, relatively nice head with ok retention and decent lacing.

S: A sour, bitter vomit smell that was quite disgusting. I almost dumped it just based on the smell alone.

T: Tastes like sweet corn with some rice notes. Somewhat maltiness, but soon recedes to a taste of nothingness. Not impressed at all with the High Life so far.

M: Ok mouthfeel, but definitely seems like it was artificially carbonated. Reminded me of seltzer water with a golden hue.

D: ok drinkability, but nothing too impressive. Mouthfeel was average at best and the taste was a bit below that. If given the chance, I would probably pass on this one unless I was looking to get bombed.

In agreement with the guy on the commercial, charging $13 a bottle for this is clearly overpriced and exorbitant. Charging $4 for the six pack I bought might be pushing it as well.

2.56/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow beer.

Smell: Spinach? and corn.

Taste: Sweet Corn, kiss of the hops in the finish, just a touch.

Mouthfeel: Weak.

Drinkability: The first taste taken after a Sierra Nevada harvest ale, was too sweet to bear, towards the end I can do this, but if I'm drinking beer of this 'caliber' I'll probably stick with Pabst or Old Style both being cheaper and slightly less sweet, and close to my heart for sentimental reasons.

2.76/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Very nice looking for a macro. Pale clear yellow. Two fingers of head hang arond for a while before falling to a thin white cap. Quite a bit of lacing.

S - Lots of cereal grain, with a strange rubber-like undertone. Vague citrus.

T - Boring, same old grain. Slight sour/bitter taste from the hops in the finish, but nothing more.

M - Fizzy. Light bodied.

D - Miller High Life isn't too bad as far as macros go; I think it's much better from the can than bottle. Still, I'd reach for another American stuff first.

2.23/5  rDev -16.5%

This is not my first choice when it comes to the classic american pale lagers but I do get the itch every once in a while. Yesterday my friend brought over a 12 pack of bottles for the Fiesta Bowl and after drinking a few porters I made the switch. I had two of these beauties right out of the bottle, they were cold, refreshing, and delicious! The key to the high life for me is to stop after two or three.

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Very cheap beer, but a fair taste. Personally I prefer low-carbonation drinks and this is one of my top-picks as a cheap alternative (if your looking for super cheap think Busch or Natural Light- but I don't like the amount of carbonation) . However this is another beer that I think has almost no alcohol content. However b/c of the super low price tag, it is a top pick as, hey, beer is beer when you really really want one!

3.88/5  rDev +45.3%

Bought a 12 pack at local convenient mart.

Appearance: golden color with a nice amount of foam head.

Smell: Like any beer, amazing

Taste: Light hop taste, although a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Bitter

Drinkability: Goes down easy, great aftertaste. Can easily drink a case.

This is by far the best American macro lager that I have ever had!

3.26/5  rDev +22.1%

This is a pretty nice looking lager. A bit shinier and brighter gold than the average lager. Lots of active carbonation streams. Head retention is pretty good to start with, and it doesn't disappear after a few sips either. Leaves some lacing here and there too, and actually by the end there's a full sheet all the way down the back of the glass.

Not a whole lot of aroma when served cold. Just some crisp graininess. Smells fresh, not musty, and there are no forward metallic or adjuncty notes. You get more out of some other lagers, but this is suitable.

Flavor is crisp and clean with just a touch of hop bite at the end. Finishes with some sweetness, but is pleasantly dry. Corn starts to creep in a bit when the beer warms. Simple but effective.

Carbonation is pretty soft, leading to a somewhat creamy beer. This beer feels rather light in the mouth, but I always found it rather filling in the stomach. I could never really load up on these.

Drinkability is good. I've had these lots of times, but usually not with a critical eye. I'm pleased with how palatable this is. For one of the cheapest beers you can find, this still beats most of the other macros. It's refreshing. Amongst the best "bad" beers for sure. It's going to score better for me than PBR, but mainly due to the surprisingly strong appearance. PBR smells a bit nicer, and the other differences are pretty marginal. We'll see if Schlitz can topple it later.

1.4/5  rDev -47.6%

Well, I didn't have much money for this week so I though I would pick up a 12 pack of canned, yellow fizzy stuff for $6.99 just to last me the week. They call this "The Champagne of Beers" apparently due to the unusually high amount of carbonation and lack of taste.

Pours to a HUGE head that just sat there for a good few minutes before subsiding. The taste on this is...ummm...hmmm...taste....can you really adequately describe the taste of water? This tastes just like that. Yet, worse somehow. This "beer" is the true definition of "yellow fizzy stuff".

3.4/5  rDev +27.3%

Drank this in a can cuz friends bought it.

A- Looks like a pretty nice can with clear, corn-colored liquid in it

S- Smells like a macro, adjuncts and fillers, but acceptable

T- Tastes OK with not much taste but what you do taste is not offensive

M- Feels quite good with not too many small bubbles and a watery body

D- Drinks great for a 5%ABV

2.66/5  rDev -0.4%

A buddy brought a couple of these over "in case some of the guys would not like real beer." His words, not mine.

I'm not sure I've ever had one, but this is a perfect opportunity to try one

The beer poured with a wispy white head that never really reached a finger in width. Bright, clear gold in color with a good bit of visible carbonation. There was a scant touch of lacing left behind in the glass.

Aroma was slightly sour or perhaps musty. Didn't really appeal to me.

Taste was slightly biscuit like and also slight sour. The beer did finish pretty smoothly and there was a non descript taste left in the back of my mouth. Wasn't a bready like aftertaste. Was not a lingering hop flavor. This aftertaste was slightly sweet and not really appealing.

Mouth feel was very light and the carbonation was pretty aggressive. I think it's the only thing that brought the flavor to life.

Not that good. But I think most people already know that.

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I bought this so I could pick up hot chicks.

kidding...

Will someone PLEASE tell that Miller High Life driver to come confiscate MINE ?!?!?!

Actually, not a bad cheap-fodder beer as long as it's REALLY CHILLED. Fine on a hot day when you just want something quenching and bubbly, other than soda, or AN ACTUAL REAL BEER.

A= marshmallow-foamy head, Laced all over the place if you use a glass or stein. Otherwise weak-yellow fluid, continuous small-bubbling from the bottom.

S= hardly any distinguishing scent that I can find. Light cheap perfume?

T= Overly sweet, slightly nauseating, stale weed taste that I suppose they consider to be hops. Has some mild character although very weak in quality or evidence, of course. Mild rice or corn malts. Why waste good barley?

M= a lightly watery saccharin-sweet, plus some flat almost bitter taste. Scary.

D= heck you can afford it, if nothing else! Great for boiling brats and sausage with sauerkraut, though.

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Very, very blond in color, loads of carbonation. Almost....champagne like.

S: More malt than hops, but that's not saying much because there isn't a whole lot of that either.

T: Well, it tastes like a beer for a few seconds, and then the flavor almost completely disappears. It this a beer or a magician?

M: Oh so thin, oh so carbonated.

D: Again, another hot-weather beer. Nothing offensive, nothing memorable. Doesn't exactly live up to the commercials.

Next, please.

3.19/5  rDev +19.5%

Dark yellow body, perfectly clear with lots of bubbles. Thin patches of head on top, but no lacing.

Aroma is actually kind of foul. Metallic, alcoholic, and a little skunked. Definitely different than the canned version.

Taste is surprisingly pleasant for the style. It's a bit sweeter than some, malt dominates any hop presence.

Highly carbonated, crisp, drying. Meant to be a quencher for sure.

Not too bad for the style. Like my number suggests, I'd say it's slightly above average for the style. If you like the style. ;)

Absolutely the most frothy beer I've ever had in my life. I can't think of one positive thing to say about this beer. I can't even say it's cheap because Natural Light and Keystone Light are cheaper than High Life. The moniker "the champaign of beers" is dead on. Translucent piss yellow appearance with no real flavor and a consistency that turns to foam the moment it touches your tongue.

How this beer has achieved a better score than Budweiser is a mystery to me.

1.15/5  rDev -56.9%

Another Miller's product I had the misfortune to encounter while on holiday in Tobago.

'The Champagne of beers' my arse!

Clear 12oz bottle of almost clear looking watery liquid which when poured produced no head or aroma what-so-ever.

Why do people buy such tasteless fizzy rubbish? I did, not knowing 'high life' really means 'low life' in American brewing advertising. I won't be making that mistake again.

2.51/5  rDev -6%

A- Well the name says it all, the champagne of beers. It poured with a lot of head. But who doesn't like lots of head?

S- Smells of grain and...wait is that rice? Most likely.

T- Well the carbination sort of kills any initial taste so all that is left is this shell of a malt taste that should have been. And I'm stuck with this 24ozer. I suppose on a super hot day after building a deck when you need something with a bit of malt taste in your water then this would be it.

M- Too many bubbles, and no they didn't tickle the nose.

D- Read the last of what I wrote about taste.

4.15/5  rDev +55.4%

Up north at the cabin I pulled out of the refrigerator a gleaming-gold icy cold can and poured into a classic pilsner glass found at a garage sale for 5 cents. Having felt a rush for nostalgia here's my review.

Appearance is a brilliant clear yellow-gold with a frothy white head that lingers for a few minutes then settles to a thin layer for the duration. Aroma is dominated by flowery noble hops with an underlying hint of corn flakes. There's malt in there, too, reminding me of Grape nuts. Taste is much the same as the aroma with big flavors of noble hops but restrained bitterness making this an incredibly smooth beer. There's acutally quite a bit of malt flavor here, and some corn flakes, but the hop flavor and malt dominate. Finishes smooth with a touch of sweetness that complements the noble hops.

This beer tastes way better now than it ever has and I was pleasantly surprised by the full flavor and hop presence.

3.01/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a light yellow in color with a white head. There was actually some pretty good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass with each swallow. Smelled of corn and grains. Very faint smelling. Taste was actually not to bad. Had a slight sweet aftertaste. But at least it had some flavor. Felt a little watery in the mouth. Carbonation was just about right. This is a good lawnmower beer. Also would make a good session beer when your low on cash.

3.12/5  rDev +16.9%

Out of all the cheapies, High Life certainly is the best.

The color is a pale yellow at best, but don't let that stop you. $3 for a four pack of 16oz, you can't beat it, especially since High Life has a pretty good taste for a cheapie.

The smell is high in corn and certainly doesn't have that strong of an aroma, however, the taste as mentioned before is quite fruitful and gets the job done.

High Life goes down quick, so there's no time to savor it, but regardless it does have a good drinkability factor. The good thing about High Life is that it certainly satisfies thirst any time of the day and goes perfect with just about any meal, especially during sports events.

It's a perfect beer to drink on a hot summer day if the cash flow is low. Definitely king of the cheaps and a good call.

2.64/5  rDev -1.1%

How long CAN it go on?

An aggro pour resulted in 1.5 finger's worth of rocky, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a pale yellow with a clarity that would be the standard-bearer for NE-quality. The nose was somewhat sweetish with an underlying graininess. Mouthfeel was thin to medium with a decent sweetness on the tongue. Finish was unobtrusive, at best. I remember as a young man, I really enjoyed this beer, but now, it was ho-hum at best. Too bad.

3.73/5  rDev +39.7%

High Life has long been one of my favorite "slummin' it" beers, but I'd never reviewed it.

The champagne of beers pours a pale straw yellow with significant head. But who pours it? I'm drinking it from the can baby.

The smell is a little malt, some misc cereal grain. Taste is light and refreshing, smooth, slightly dry finish, with just the tiniest bit of hop in there at the end somewhere. High Life is my "chug one after coming in from working on the car in the sun" beer, and for good reason, as its very inexpensive, thirst quenching, and remarkably palatable.

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

This stuff is bubbly, straw yellow, with a white head that doesn't last (Who'da thought for an american macro?). I guess the only reason why I decided to review this was because I had a couple because they were cheap tonight and I was grossed out by how metallic it tasted. Had it on tap for a dollar per 10 oz. Very metallic certainly more hops than your average american macro (noble hops I think)... but overly metallic. Not suggested, unless you're on a mission to not be sober and have few means to reach such a goal. On one good note however I did see this in my grandfather's fridge when I was a kid and I have a lot of respect for him so the lady on the moon is at least a reminder of him.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.