1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,475 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
BeerZack

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

Hint of corn and almost some malt on the slightly sweet, yet subtle nose. The flavor is pretty much the same – slightly sweet hint of malt, maybe a bit of corn and little generic sugary flavor. The carbonation comes to wash away the flavor almost as soon as I can start to taste it. There is a bit of a metallic (not quite hoppy) aftertaste, but it's not harsh.

I think overall this is definitely a serviceable brew for the category. I don't think it's as “clean” (or perhaps 'flavorless') as Bud though, it has more character. The lingering corn and metallic flavor almost simulate real beer flavors, almost.

07-12-2013 08:35:22 | More by BeerZack
dar482

2.06/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours out in a clear light golden yellow color with a big soapy head.

The aroma has very sweet grainy malt and tons of corn as well.

The flavor hits you immediately with that adjunct grain malt, but then it's just all corn. It's sweet, but musty and watery. It's like drinking that water that comes with canned sweet corn.

The mouthfeel is very watery and light.

I thought used to like this AAL, but now, I can't stand that offensive corn flavor.

07-10-2013 15:37:26 | More by dar482
dbrauneis

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy bright white head that slowly reduces to a pillowy thick film covering the suface of the beer with a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of slightly sweet grainy adjunct malts with some very light hints of musty corn.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy adjunct malts with a lighter note of corn. Slightly sweeter than the other AAL that I have reviewed (not sure about all since I drank some I barely remember during college). Minimal hints of bitterness in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. The carbonation is rather effervescent and it is very crisp.

O: I love the fact that I found this one in a 32 oz. can... Actually this is not as offensive as some of the other BMC offerings as it actually has some flavor and is drinkable. Best served ice cold and it is a great outdoor grilling beer (when you are the guy manning the grill) on a hot summer afternoon.

07-07-2013 01:19:53 | More by dbrauneis
aranamo

Georgia

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

Ok so yeah, it's High Life. Personally, I sincerely enjoy this beer. I won't go so far to say it's fantastic but as far as adjunct beers go, it's at the top of the pyramid for me. Atlanta's hipster/rock scene is obviously deep under the spell of PBR's marketing machine, and I can't tell you how many gigs I play offer drink tickets that only get you a tall-boy PBR...but I've, many times, traded my drink tickets away for a High Life, tall-boy or not. It goes great sitting on the couch on a weekend and equally well outside on a hot day in a grassy field. Diss it if you will, but would you really rather have a Bud or <anything>-li(gh)t(e)?

This 4th of July, I salute the nation with a solid union-made brew: Miller High Life. Cheers.

07-04-2013 20:47:34 | More by aranamo
Auraan

Arizona

2.56/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a clear yellow with a thin, foamy head. It looks like a bad AAL. Scents of lager yeast and maize, mostly maize. Maybe a bit of malt in there, but I couldn't really make it out. This carried over into the taste. Some yeast, a lot of maize, a hint of bready malt, but not much, a hint of hops and a hit of alcohol on the finish. Why is that in a lager? Even in an AAL? It's standard, but that alcohol hit is an unwelcome change from the overall mediocrity of the rest of the taste. Mouthfeel was light bodied, with high carbonation. Standard for the style, the same as any other. Overall it's a standard AAL, held back from mediocrity and thrust into somewhat bad territory by a weird alcohol presence and a low hop character. It's not worth going back to for sure.

07-04-2013 06:38:27 | More by Auraan
ahommell

Mississippi

3.59/5  rDev +34%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best of the cheap beers. By far.

A: No need to pour this beauty. Just look at that clear bottle full of cold refreshing goodness. Honestly... you can see why it has the moniker it does.

S: Smells watery, but how cheap beer always smells. crisp.

T: Watery. Can taste very light hops. Clean. Crisp. Sometimes if you squint real hard, you can almost get an apple taste to it. Great for hot day.

M: Bland at best. Beer flavored water.

O: Again, one of the best cheap beers there is.

07-03-2013 00:43:15 | More by ahommell
Pinepoint

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

I became very familiar with this 20 years ago as it was / is my wife's families goto beer for any group get together. It is just good enough (in bottles) for me to shlep around. The long neck 24 case boxes go on sale here so it is a lower cost beverage. The taste comes across as slightly burned corn. You must drink it quick, as it turns quickly if left alone. Best served very cold, by a campfire.

07-02-2013 22:06:23 | More by Pinepoint
BlackCell89

Mississippi

3.54/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first beer I ever drank with my dad. I remember sitting on the river bank catching trout all day, and drinking this golden beauty while grilling steaks that night. If this brew is still around when my son comes of age, it will by his first drink with his dad too.

Other than the nestalgic priciple of it, this is my go to cheap beer. To tired from a hard day of work to grab a glass and pour? Simply grab a piece of the High Life. Now excuse me while I crack one open and relax :D

06-28-2013 21:26:38 | More by BlackCell89
Damian

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 12 fluid ounces (.355 liters) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Aug0513
Served in a pint glass

You gotta love the classic bottle that "The Champagne of Beers" comes in. As for the beer, it started out with a very impressive appearance. The crystal clear, pale gold liquid was topped by a tight, cottony, bright white, one-finger crown. The head slowly faded to a thin film. Thick, clingy rings of lacing coated the entire glass.

Initially, the nose was respectable. Grainy malts and sweet corn notes were noticeable. Some dry, powdery, lager-like yeastiness. Semi-sweet. Touch of grassy hops. As the beer sat, the nose became much more muted. All I picked up were generic adjunct notes.

The flavor profile had more going on than did the nose. Raw, grainy, husky malts came through on the front end. Touch of grassy hops and corn. Crisp, bright and mildly lemony in the center. The husky grains made an appearance again in the finish. Touch of noble hops as well.

The liquid was super light and spritzy on the palate. Crisp and bubbly. Slightly creamy.

Miller High Life is an unoffensive and refreshing American adjunct lager that would be perfect at a summer cookout. Overall, a fairly decent beer.

06-28-2013 15:53:14 | More by Damian
Callum

New Mexico

2.86/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz can into 1liter stein

A- golden color almost hay/straw colored. Heavy foam almost milky in some way?

S- when really cold almost no smell, kinda veggy smell, corn etc. when the beer warms almost overpowering corn smell.

T- very light on the palate, not too much of flavor maybe a little metallic, cooked corn kinda taste, refreshing.

M- kinda milky thickness, overall enjoyable on a dry hot day here in New Mexico, when the beer warms all of the veg taste comes with a vengeance.

I just turned 21 about 2 months ago and have been experimenting with a ton of beers to find my own, this one for some reason is my go too budget beer. Good on a dry hot day and great with pizza. Haha not too bad but far from the best. Good if you are on a budget and want a quantity. 17.97 for a 30.

06-24-2013 02:00:30 | More by Callum
bmwats

Louisiana

2.84/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Deep golden hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Lots of rising effervescence and plenty of carbonation clinging to the sides of the glass. Settles to a blanket of foam which lingers on the surface. Some spotty, dry beer ring lacing.

S: White bread, with a very light hop, nothing else.

T: Pungent bready character. Nice crisp hop bite, and a touch of indistinct sweetness settled on some wood chips. A little rubbery.

M: Light, crisp, refreshing quality. Kind of fake-sweet aftertaste lingers a little bit.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is pretty decent. Nice hue, pretty good head, and some fair lacing. Nose is light grains, nothing else. A little pungent and sweet malt tone, with something of a very subtle woody character. Overall, this is a fair quaff.

06-16-2013 19:35:33 | More by bmwats
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

2.61/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

Drank ALOT of this in my formative years...aahhh, the glorious results of a misspent youth! Pouring into a tall Pilsner brings up a frothy foamy white head with surprisingly nice lacing, the beer itself is pale yellow and crystal clear. I get corn sweetness with a whiff of Lager aroma. Mouthfeel is typical macro Lager: thin, kinda watery with pinprick bubbly carbonation due to the cold serving temp. Some corn/grass/hay flavor...verrry little in the way of hop bitterness to balance things out. Finshes sweet/watery...but you know what you're getting when you have this. Almost cuts it on a hot late Spring day here at the shore. An ok 'lawn mower'/refreshing type beer.

06-01-2013 22:46:17 | More by beerluvr
gtp537

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

A guilty pleasure when craft is not present. It drinks a bit syrupy, but that is part of its charm. As it warms, it is still enjoyable. Great for baseball games, and anytime you are looking for a "cheap" beer but don't care about the calorie count.

05-29-2013 01:27:13 | More by gtp537
bbluemzbeer

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

It is not a very good beer because of the linger corn after taste. Only thing it was going for it is price but I will buy pbr or natural ice before this beer

Appearance: Gold or bright yellow with small head.

Smell--Malt, and corn.some adjuncts.

Taste-- It is sweater then regular pale ales with corn some sweetness. It can be refreshing when cold, The after taste of corn does not make it a decent beer.

Moutful--Light and some body. lingering on palate.

Overall -- For cheap American lager. It is average at best. I would buy icehouse, PBr, Schlitz , oLDd Milwaukee over this beer

05-28-2013 02:23:22 | More by bbluemzbeer
cnbrown313

3.11/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Purchased a 30 pack for $12.99 in the city, so that's about as cheap as it comes

It's always good to come back to the adjuncts every once in a while, between seeking out higher quality craft beers. I also enjoy a cold one on a hot day every now and then too. That being said, it is what it is...

A - Pours light golden brown with a generous amount of head and carbonation

S - Not much smell at all, maybe a little bit of a bready / biscuit smell.

T - Typical adjunct lager, with a little bit of a grainy / corn taste. Pretty smooth and drinkable. I think I can actually pick up some faint hops too. Most importantly, it doesn't taste "skunky" like adjuncts can from time to time.

M - Pretty thin and typical. Refreshing though

O - For the price point, this is my pick all the time

05-16-2013 14:41:34 | More by cnbrown313
mjurney

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pale gold color, crystal clear. Lots of carbonation rising up. Small frothy head.

Aroma:
Sweetness, grainy, corn.

Taste:
Grainy, hay, slight toasted malts, some corn. Bitterness is minimal. Super dry finish. Body is thin and watery, crisp, fizzy, dry.

Overall:
Not bad. Just a typical Adjunct Lager.

05-13-2013 02:10:42 | More by mjurney
archyquaffer

Montana

3.16/5  rDev +17.9%

Well, it was a warm day finally, so it seemed like a good time to take a break from the heavier brews and quaff down some of my favorite Miller products. I started with a tall boy of Mickey's, and am finishing the evening with a 32 ounce can of High Life.

Poured into an 8 ounce sampler while the remainder of the can stays cool in the fridge. A steady pour produces 1/2 inch of froth which lines the glass and sticks around until you wash it away. I smell grain, corn mash, and a kiss of hops. The taste is very smooth and clean- almost too smooth, as there is little aftertaste to speak of. Nevertheless, I detect a gentle warming of alcohol (or is that the Mickey's?) and the burps, though few, bring about nice grain and hop aromas....As the beer warms, corn flavors become more noticeable, but that's not all bad, as I think the corn is pretty much essential for this style of brew. Corn is good. Corn makes good whiskey. Embrace the corn.

Miller High Life is one of my favorite AALs, and is a regular go-to when hot weather appears.

05-07-2013 05:00:34 | More by archyquaffer
Goat2Hunter

Georgia

1.05/5  rDev -60.8%

Me and my brother bought a 12 pack a couple months back, and I have got to say this is By far one of the worst beers I've come across, I typically like cheap beer too but this tasted like piss mixed with rat poison, It does have a good pilsner look, the smell is of sulfer (atleast it was when I bought it) its taste was terrible, far too much carbonation, mouthfeel, like I previously stated way to carbonated, overall I'd drink this beer if you bought me one, but thats the only time I would, never going to buy this sludge again.

04-25-2013 13:00:46 | More by Goat2Hunter
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +50.4%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

04-12-2013 07:08:46 | More by CharlyNovember
buck4you

4.75/5  rDev +77.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Miller High Life is a beer I used to drink often. like many folks, I switched to a Lite beer. After a few years of swilling various brands of light beer, I found myself at a place that sold out of Lite. So I ordered a High Life. Boy-oh-boy was it good. I had forgotten just how good a real beer tasted. Since I never drink more than two brews when I am driving, I always order Miller High Life now. "The Champagne of Bottled Beers", it is as true now as it ever was. it tastes like real beer.

04-08-2013 04:13:32 | More by buck4you
sommersb

Tennessee

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Tasted On: 04-06-2013
Freshness: Best by 04-08-2013
Packaging: 16 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: 4-pack from Kroger

A: Light golden color, with lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom. Head is nicely sized at 3+ fingers and sticks around well; lacing is fair.

S: Lightly sweet malt and corn aromas, plus some faint noble hop smells.

T: Taste is of semi-sweet grains but is light on flavor. No real hop presence or bitterness.

M: Crisp feel and very highly carbonated with a light body. The finish is grainy sweet.

O: For a macro lager and lawnmower beer I guess it's OK, but the flavor and other characteristics make this lackluster.

04-06-2013 23:55:14 | More by sommersb
wiseguywood

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one.

04-06-2013 19:38:03 | More by wiseguywood
Pluffmud

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev +33.6%

Haters gonna hate, but in my humble opinion, this is the only mass produced American beer worth drinking. I wouldn't pair it with food, and in fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck drinking this except on special occasions. Those occasions are this: when you are really hot and just finished mowing the grass. When you go to the beach with a couple of friends and light a bonfire. And on those occasions, trust me, it's a winner. Feel free to ban me from ever writing another review now...

03-13-2013 05:59:07 | More by Pluffmud
TMoney2591

2.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Gotta give my thoughts on one of my father's favorite beers. It pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of white froth. The nose comprises wispy lemon peel, lightly-funky wheat, wild rice, and hard water. The taste goes straight for hard water diluted with musty grain and the lightest bit of brown grass possible. The body is pretty light, with a moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a crisp finish. Overall, a decidedly meek little beer, one that makes me wonder why straight tap water wouldn't be a better (and more thirst-quenching) option.

03-10-2013 03:15:29 | More by TMoney2591
Mavigo

1.59/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured this in a mug.

A: Poured a clear light yellow color with a short white head with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells like grain, corn, grass

T: Like I was expecting, not so good, tastes of corn, grains, and some weird mystery flavor in the backdrop

M: Watery consistency, medium carbonation, easy to chug, you just have to get passed the strange flavors

O: Should be called low life or no life, a cheap beer such as this is a depressing and ironic interpretation of the " high life", why get the hopes up of the people that have to drink cheap beer. Wouldn't have this again

03-09-2013 22:21:41 | More by Mavigo
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.