Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,461
1.32/5  rDev -53%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Look is typical of American adjacent lagers. Smell is if metallic copper and iron with hits of stale grain. Taste is even worse at first you get dank grains then taken by overpowered metallic funk. This stuff tastes like a result of a bar fight, just metallic blood and left over beer. Feel is very much like champagne like the name suggests. Overall is terrible. I would have to be very sloshed to drink this and not want to punch a stranger from the funky twang it leaves in your mouth.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

Of course this doesn't stand with expensive craft beers. It's a mass-produced American beer. But it is not offensive, and it goes down easy, and it tastes like being young.

Obviously you don't want to buy this if your looking for a beer drinking experience, but for an inexpensive brew that is a known quantity, you can do worse.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

For the price, this is a solid beer. A little over-carbonated and skunky, but what you are paying for is what you get in this instance. It is really not a bad deal.

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Middle of the road for AAL. Head dissipated to an ugly river foam like quality, while the Pabst I had poured next to it retained a creamy dense head. I also chose Pabst 3 for 3 blind taste testing the two. High Life was not bad, just not great.

Good Beer for a beginning beer drinker. Cheap but you really can't compare this to craft offerings. For a BBQ or football night, this is perfect. Had some of these while watching the Kansas City Chiefs. I like a lot of football teams. Not really for one in particular. i do like the seattle seahawks.
Usually i crack open a pack of beer on the Uconn huskies games. Also UL and UK for basketball As well as the Boston Celtics. Watch nascar too. This beer goes well with all of those things. Also, goes good with my wings that i put in ghost pepper sauce.

One of the Big Three in sales and availability, Miller has been a solid presence in the beer shelf for as long as I've been around. I've drunk enough of these to have the flavor profile etched into my taste buds. Ubiquitous presence at parties, events, and weekenders.

I don't much like it. It's got decent body and flavor, but it has a sweetness aftertaste I really don't like. Fruity palate, that's for sure. Perhaps drinkable by you, I will give it a pass every time. Do not care for Miller's flavor choices.

For what it is, this beer is enjoyable. My friend jokingly used it as a palate cleanser during a big stout tasting last night, and it was actually a very refreshing change of pace. I'm now thinking of throwing this, or something similar, into my drinking rotation from time to time.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

First of all, this is not a craft beer. It's not supposed to be a craft beer. I am not going to rate it like a craft beer. I am going to rate it for what it is: an AAL that in the grand scheme of things is really not a bad beer at all, given the proper circumstances. I bought this beer for a particular reason. I was feeling nostalgic about my grandfather, and this was the beer he drank after Ballantine fizzled out in the 1970s. Miller High Life is not going to knock you out with its spectacular flavor, but it's smooth, and like others have posted, it tastes great after a hot couple of hours mowing the backyard. When you open the bottle, you'd better be prepared to guzzle about half of it straight off, because otherwise the white head overflows almost instantly. I learned the hard way the first time. The champagne of beers indeed.

Appearance: Pale golden bliss with a huge white head that is pretty much out of control. And that's fine by me.

Smell: Yep, corn. Lots of grainy, grassy scents to it. Exactly what you would expect from a beer like this. And that's fine by me.

Taste: It's very smooth, not much flavor going down, but when you're hot and tired, it tastes heavenly. And that's fine by me.

Mouthfeel: It's light. It's a little like drinking air. And that's fine by me.

Overall: Miller High Life does what it's supposed to do. It's the working man's beer, despite its "champagne" reference. The bottle is attractive and inviting. The High Life Girl promises you it's going to be okay. It's inexpensive and easy to come by. My grandfather drank boat loads of this stuff when I was a kid. He was a smart man. It's a beer that makes me feel nostalgic about beer.

And that's fine by me.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

i drank this alot in the late 90's to mid 2000's or so.
i bought it again recently because of the "Limited Edition" collectible labels.
These are all 12oz bottles with various retro designs -kinda cool,i guess....retro works best in cars & guitars though...
i would like high life more today if it was not for the amazing choice out there of great tasting,full-bodied (as God intended beer to be) micro brews that rock our world now....
still.cheap beer does have its place...sometimes.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Used to be one of my favorites and the go to beer. Light yellow. Very heavily carbonated. A little skunky but good. A little sweet and a little bitter. Ok beer but leaves a weird dry grainy film in my mouth

3.19/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not half bad as far as AALs go. Clear, pale golden served in its familiar clear glass bottle at Texas Chili Parlor in Austin, TX. Light bodied, fizzy, somewhat sweetly malty, but without some of the harsher off flavors of its brethren. Smooth, crisp and refreshing. Just right with a bowl of red.

4.75/5  rDev +69%

It says it right on the label- the champagne of beer. You get all the effervescence and character of a fine champagne with the drinkability and flavor of a light Pilsner. High enough abv to drink all day, but classy enough to impress a date. High-life truly has it all.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

Great beer for the money. Picked up a 6 pack of 16oz cans for $4.88 at my local walmart. Perfect for hot days like many have said. I just wish miller lite was this cheap.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

Here is my take on Miller High Life, an American Classic. Before I start let me add that I took a tour of Miller Brewing Co in Milwaukee last year so I know firsthand how the "champagne of beers" is being crafted.
Serving style: 12 oz can
Appearance: Light golden color, very transparent, weak head that disappears right away, solid carbonation
Taste: Bitter hops mixed with tarty lemon slices and stalled yeast. Strangely addictive.

Overall: Hard to beat a beer that is easy on the wallet and easy to drink. $14 gets you a 30-cans pack which is more than double for the same price as imports. Has a nasty aroma but after few sips it goes away. Very easy to drink, especially with snacks.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bought a six pack of it.

A: Clear straw gold, almost no head, no retention. AAL to the max.

S: Corn, cereal, malt, grain, and a bit of a sweet smell. Nothing to balance. Inoffensive and a small step above other AALs.

T: Much like the smell, but very smooth. Not tasty, but quite good for what it is.

M: Maybe a bit heavy for the style, but thankfully, not watery.

Decent swill for $5.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

High Life is an odd one for me. When you start drinking a nice fresh cold one, it is pretty solid and easy to drink. Nice crisp flavor. Nothing wrong with it. As it warms up though, it becomes pretty bad. Not "warm" warm, but basically as warm as the bottom of the bottle tends to be when you get down there. Luckily, they make grenades, those 7 ounce bottles, and this helps with that. I do prefer them in the smaller packaging, however, even in 12 ounce form they are cheap enough to dump out the last 2 or 3 ounces so its not a big deal.

3.52/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is.

2.5/5  rDev -11%

A: Had this in a can, so can't really say.

S: Not much here. Typical lager aroma maybe.

T: I'd like to say that it wasn't horrible. I think dogging on these types of beers is usually our of snobbery, but man was this bad. I get old fruit, corn juice, and grassy water. That's really it.

M: Light and flat. Gross.

O: Not the worst I have to say. I've had some craft beer a lot worse than this. But this was pretty bad. Couldn't really finish the can.

Keep in mind i'm rating this a 5 because i'm new to beer and this is the best out of what i have had. I don't really know what to describe the taste like, just kind of like... corn? sweet. I drink this because i didnt have a job and was not able to buy more expensive things. I have read however this has won the gold medal for best american style lager several times. I think i know why they call this the high life though. It makes you feel like you are living the high life due to the taste and quality for the price. Their advertising campaigns hit the nail on the head. This is a testament to working men and women. I got paid my first paycheck recently and i bought some of this, and i felt like i was drinking in style. This is better quality in my opinion than budweiser and its cheaper. There is a reason it rated highly in american adjunct lagers, as you categorize them on the site. Apparently the Alstrom brothers on this site agree with me. They gave it an 81. I think miller is the best out of the as you guys on the site call them the macro brews. Whether its fishing or a barbeque or fourth of july party this goes good with anything. I love this with a nice Hamburger and steak fries.

3.29/5  rDev +17.1%

Miller High Life, the Champagne of Beers! Yee Haw. I feel like a dirty hippie tonight.

Serving Style : 24 oz liquor mart can complete with the homeless brown bag, poured into a fiesta ware glass for appearance (how's THAT for a contrast?)

Appearance (3.5) : Soapy, sudsy white head that's easily penetrable and recedes like the revolting blob. Bubbles grace the bottom surface of the head, much like Champagne would! Pale golden color with medium transparency.

Smell (2.5) : Dirty corn, grass and straw, hay, wheat, adjunct. Touch of orange at the tip. Dirty underwear. A pretty dirty smell.

Taste (3.5) : Straight out of the can it's heavenly. The best $1.49 beer you can get. If you're down on your luck and you just want to pass out, look no further. If you want to enjoy it, it's good for that too. Out of the glass it's refreshing and light bodied with a full bore creamed corn flavor profile. If you liquidized creamed corn and added some alcohol you'd be close. Other flavors I'm getting are some citrusy wheaty zestiness, hint of pepper. Not bad. Not bad at all...

The corn beer. Nebraska, eat your heart out!

Mouthfeel (3) : Heavily carbonated, refreshing, light bodied. Like a heavy Sprite with some mild creaminess. The foam even comes up in belches a little bit. This won't win any awards but it sure isn't awful. For its style it's just what it needs to be.

Overall (3.29) : Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. This beer isn't out to compete against crafts, it's meant to be a working man's beer after a long day in the sun. For that purpose it does just fine. High Life is a tasty treat, abundant with corn. If you hate corn or corn-based beers, stay away! Very adjunct-y, mildly sweet, absolute zero bitter. No hops. This is one of my favorite beers because it's so cheap and it's still tasty. Where else can you get an 18 pack of bottles for $10 or a 30 pack of cans for $15? Or a 24 oz. for $1.49 for that matter??? Long live High Life!

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Yes, it is not "good" beer. But it is also extremely cheap, and very drinkable. Make sure it is cold; really cold. This is my beer of choice when I am doing yard work. Better than its competition.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Frankly if I go to an event where only AAL's are being served, I hope I can find this swimming in the bottom of the ice chest. The color is pale straw with a big but fleeting head that gives way to minimum lacing. The smell and taste are both dominated by adjuncts, but if cold enough the flavor is tolerable. The carbonation level is good and the beer does feel rich in your mouth. Overall one of the best in a generally poor class.

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

Served: 12 August 2014
Serving: 24oz can into pint glass

Appearance: Crystal clear gold color with massive carbonation coming from the bottom initially before slowing to a trickle. Nice one and a half finger white head that sticks around for a bit before collapsing into a sheen of bubbles. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Light and corny. Very sweet.

Taste: Very clean and sweet with big corn grainy notes. No hop flavor at all, as expected.

Mouthfeel: Huge bubbly carbonation gives this one some nice body in the tongue.

Overall: For an AAL this is actually pretty far up there for me- one of the best in the style. A very refreshing, unadulterated beer for weather when it's hotter than hell and you just want something quaffable. I would NEVER get this in a format other than a can considering the clear bottle.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

2.94/5  rDev +4.6%

Not much can be said about this beer. Its a cheap beer. But in my opinion it is way better than Pabst, which for some reason has become cool to drink over the last decade or so. As far as cheap beers go, this is in my opinion among the best. Not that I am saying its a spectacular beer, but if you want a cold "beer" like your grandfather drank, this is the one I would go for. You can often find a 12 pack on sale for around $6-7. It is what it is, nothing spectacular, but drinkable.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.