1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,475 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
mjurney

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pale gold color, crystal clear. Lots of carbonation rising up. Small frothy head.

Aroma:
Sweetness, grainy, corn.

Taste:
Grainy, hay, slight toasted malts, some corn. Bitterness is minimal. Super dry finish. Body is thin and watery, crisp, fizzy, dry.

Overall:
Not bad. Just a typical Adjunct Lager.

05-13-2013 02:10:42 | More by mjurney
archyquaffer

Montana

3.16/5  rDev +17.9%

Well, it was a warm day finally, so it seemed like a good time to take a break from the heavier brews and quaff down some of my favorite Miller products. I started with a tall boy of Mickey's, and am finishing the evening with a 32 ounce can of High Life.

Poured into an 8 ounce sampler while the remainder of the can stays cool in the fridge. A steady pour produces 1/2 inch of froth which lines the glass and sticks around until you wash it away. I smell grain, corn mash, and a kiss of hops. The taste is very smooth and clean- almost too smooth, as there is little aftertaste to speak of. Nevertheless, I detect a gentle warming of alcohol (or is that the Mickey's?) and the burps, though few, bring about nice grain and hop aromas....As the beer warms, corn flavors become more noticeable, but that's not all bad, as I think the corn is pretty much essential for this style of brew. Corn is good. Corn makes good whiskey. Embrace the corn.

Miller High Life is one of my favorite AALs, and is a regular go-to when hot weather appears.

05-07-2013 05:00:34 | More by archyquaffer
Goat2Hunter

Georgia

1.05/5  rDev -60.8%

Me and my brother bought a 12 pack a couple months back, and I have got to say this is By far one of the worst beers I've come across, I typically like cheap beer too but this tasted like piss mixed with rat poison, It does have a good pilsner look, the smell is of sulfer (atleast it was when I bought it) its taste was terrible, far too much carbonation, mouthfeel, like I previously stated way to carbonated, overall I'd drink this beer if you bought me one, but thats the only time I would, never going to buy this sludge again.

04-25-2013 13:00:46 | More by Goat2Hunter
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +50.4%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

04-12-2013 07:08:46 | More by CharlyNovember
buck4you

4.75/5  rDev +77.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Miller High Life is a beer I used to drink often. like many folks, I switched to a Lite beer. After a few years of swilling various brands of light beer, I found myself at a place that sold out of Lite. So I ordered a High Life. Boy-oh-boy was it good. I had forgotten just how good a real beer tasted. Since I never drink more than two brews when I am driving, I always order Miller High Life now. "The Champagne of Bottled Beers", it is as true now as it ever was. it tastes like real beer.

04-08-2013 04:13:32 | More by buck4you
sommersb

Tennessee

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Tasted On: 04-06-2013
Freshness: Best by 04-08-2013
Packaging: 16 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: 4-pack from Kroger

A: Light golden color, with lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom. Head is nicely sized at 3+ fingers and sticks around well; lacing is fair.

S: Lightly sweet malt and corn aromas, plus some faint noble hop smells.

T: Taste is of semi-sweet grains but is light on flavor. No real hop presence or bitterness.

M: Crisp feel and very highly carbonated with a light body. The finish is grainy sweet.

O: For a macro lager and lawnmower beer I guess it's OK, but the flavor and other characteristics make this lackluster.

04-06-2013 23:55:14 | More by sommersb
wiseguywood

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one.

04-06-2013 19:38:03 | More by wiseguywood
Pluffmud

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev +33.6%

Haters gonna hate, but in my humble opinion, this is the only mass produced American beer worth drinking. I wouldn't pair it with food, and in fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck drinking this except on special occasions. Those occasions are this: when you are really hot and just finished mowing the grass. When you go to the beach with a couple of friends and light a bonfire. And on those occasions, trust me, it's a winner. Feel free to ban me from ever writing another review now...

03-13-2013 05:59:07 | More by Pluffmud
TMoney2591

2.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Gotta give my thoughts on one of my father's favorite beers. It pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of white froth. The nose comprises wispy lemon peel, lightly-funky wheat, wild rice, and hard water. The taste goes straight for hard water diluted with musty grain and the lightest bit of brown grass possible. The body is pretty light, with a moderate carbonation, a watery feel, and a crisp finish. Overall, a decidedly meek little beer, one that makes me wonder why straight tap water wouldn't be a better (and more thirst-quenching) option.

03-10-2013 03:15:29 | More by TMoney2591
Mavigo

1.59/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured this in a mug.

A: Poured a clear light yellow color with a short white head with medium amounts of lacing.

S: Smells like grain, corn, grass

T: Like I was expecting, not so good, tastes of corn, grains, and some weird mystery flavor in the backdrop

M: Watery consistency, medium carbonation, easy to chug, you just have to get passed the strange flavors

O: Should be called low life or no life, a cheap beer such as this is a depressing and ironic interpretation of the " high life", why get the hopes up of the people that have to drink cheap beer. Wouldn't have this again

03-09-2013 22:21:41 | More by Mavigo
Jsteez

China

2.1/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 32 oz. can into a dimpled beer mug. This is the 8th beer in my hunt to find America's great adjunct lager.

A-Yellow, straw, and hints of gold. It pours a thin white bubbly and sudsy head that leaves some sticky lace, believe it or not.

S-Corn, malt, rice, a slight grainy smell.

T-sweet corn and a grainy taste. There are hints of malt in the aftertaste, perhaps even a metallic taste, mixed with some soda cracker crunch, too. It's not bad and not good.

M-Wet with a moderate body. It is a great thirst quencher when it's hot outside. Crisp and refreshing. I can drink a bunch and feel fine.

Overall, my great American adjunct lager hunt is almost finished. I have a couple more on my radar. This one rates up there with Bud and PBR. This brew is not great, it's just an adjunct. I can't say anything more about it.

03-09-2013 02:24:21 | More by Jsteez
Premo88

2.05/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener

L -- clear pale yellow, 1/2 to 3/4-inch pure white head that dissapears quickly. looks like water with yellow food coloring in it. maybe a hint of gold. very little lacing.

S -- sour-spoiled corn

T -- like it smells. weak, sour corn and not much else. very little hop bite, no great taste on the back end. just sour corn.

F -- fine carbonation, nothing fancy

0 -- four months ago, I would've given this thing higher ratings probably by 1 point on average across the board, but after experiencing the Chimays, Rochefort 6, Stone's Enjoy By and Arrogant Bastard and IPA, not to mention some decent local brews, this fizzy yellow corn water just doesn't hold up. Not by comparison.

I hate scoring it so low, though, because I've always considered it a better choice than most American macro-brewery beers. Much better than any of the "lights" for sure. And when you factor in price, it used to seem like the best beer going for my tastes.

I'll come back to it in 6 months or a year and give it another shot ... maybe not drink beer for a week or more then open one of these. They used to hit the spot.

03-04-2013 11:46:24 | More by Premo88
BEERMILER12

Maine

3.09/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a half finger of quickly fizzling head

S: Quite bready, with a hint of adjuncts and sweetness. Not bad at all

T: Follows the nose. Malty and bready with a definite adjunct sweetness. Simple. Nothing off-putting or offensive

M: Light bodied with moderate-high carbonation

O: An enjoyable, sessionable, cheap AAL that has nothing wrong with it. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I could see myself drinking quite a few of these during a football game or sporting event

02-25-2013 22:46:21 | More by BEERMILER12
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

3.83/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I thought this beer was fairly decent, but nothing that I would drink all of the time. It had a good taste and ok smell to it. On a hot summers day while cooking on the grill, i thought it really hit the spot, but most anything probably would. The mouthfeel of the beer was also average for a lager. This is the type of beer that my dad and grandpa would drink, but not really my favorite.

02-21-2013 04:02:50 | More by RyanLaCount03
EdgeT

2.59/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Lets all be honest here, there is nothing special about this beer. This is as average as a beer gets. This beer isnt great/ideal but its not a bad beer either. The flavor of this beer is very simple as well, nothing that makes it stand out with any particular flavor in my mind. The can can use work as well as it could be more attractive.

02-20-2013 03:51:17 | More by EdgeT
JayBeer

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance (3)- HIGH LIFE pours a GOLDEN CLEAR color with a HEAD that dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a LATTICE down to the last drink. Some may deem a 3 too high for a MACRO, but as far as straight APPEARANCE goes, the high carbonation gives an attractive effervescence throughout the life of the drink.

Smell (1.75)- A SWEET MALT smell is given right off the pour, with LITTLE character left afterward. Given a good, hard sniff, prevailing RICE, slightly CORNY scent is present after dissipation of the head. This isn't the beer to give you a SIDEWAYS monologue, when critiquing its taste, the character just isn’t there.

Taste (3)- As far as MACRO BREWS go, I have always found HIGH LIFE to have the CRISPEST flavor for my taste (as far as macros go!). I may, however, be slightly bias, because I have been drinking this beer for several years. The taste is, again, RICEY AND CORNY, but there isn't that METALIC CAN, taste found in BUD, OR COORS. The flavor of alcohol isn't too present, the beer finishes crisp, a reminder of a hard days work in THE SUN, or weekends MOWING THE LAWN. This isn't a rare, mouthgasm inducing taste, it's just, GOOD OLE BEER.

Mouthfeel (2.75)- Again, I rate HIGH LIFE a bit higher than I would other macros, because of its EFFERVECANCE. The bubbles taken in with every sip give you a reason of why this is labeled THE CHAMPAGNE OF BEERS. It is, again, rather delightful on a HOT, DRY day, though LACKING in any other SIGNIFICANT character.

Overal (3.75)- This rating stands ONLY when compared against other MACROS. Again, I am biased toward HIGH LIFE, I have too much experience with the brew to trash it now that I have had more experience with BETTER BEERS, WITH GREATER CHARACTER IN ALL THE ABOVE CATEGORIES. A guy has to keep his old standbys, ya know. But for me, the amounts of CARBONATION AND EFFERVECANCE are the CLINCHERS.

THANKS ALL,
PS: WAS MY FIRST REVIEW ON THIS FANTASTIC FORUM, TO ALL WHO ARE CONCERNED, KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK, I LOVE THIS PLACE, AND ALL THE INFO I HAVE RETRIEVED FROM IT!

02-17-2013 02:57:10 | More by JayBeer
jacket_fan

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured aggressively from a clear bottle into a pint glass

A
Clear near yellow color with a long lasting head. A heavy lacing that lasted long past finishing.

T
Minimal bitter beer taste. Lets face it. This is a mass production brew. Not meant for beer snobs. To me it is satisfying for a hot day when you are doing the sort of activities you do as an excuse to drink beer outside.

M
A little thin with enough carbonation

O
What I remember from my wayward youth. Still would chose the king of beers when buying this style. But would enjoy on a hot Georgia afternoon.

02-09-2013 02:34:01 | More by jacket_fan
TheSixthRing

2.86/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance - Poured aggressively, this crystal clear, pale yellow brew formed a white, half finger head with sub-par retention. Fair lacing with good stick.

Smell - Predominant malt sweetness. Grainy.

Taste - Slightly sweet to start, then finishes with prominent grain character. Simple. Not much flavor... but nothing offputting, either.

Mouthfeel - Light, watery, slightly fizzy. Drinkable, in the least.

Overall - A lot better than what I remember, which has got to be a good 8 or so years. Still, not a beer I'd buy unless options were severely limited... like 'on a deserted island' limited. Alright, maybe not that bad, but you get the point.

01-28-2013 03:55:07 | More by TheSixthRing
MickeyBeer

2.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

24 oz can poured into a pilsener glass

A- Pours a light gold, very clear with a lot of active carbonation. About one and half fingers worth of head that dissipates quickly. Surprisingly, it left some lacing on the glass.

S- Not much going on here. A little bit of a malty, bread, and faint hint of alcohol smell.

T- Light malt flavor. No real complex flavors here but it is smooth.

M- Really enjoyable mouthfeel. It truly does have a champagne mouthfeel to it and this make the beer very enjoyable for me. It has a very smooth, crisp finish.

O- Not a beer with much depth, but for a lighter cheaper beer, I think it is very tasty. I will continue buying because it is cheap and widely available.

01-25-2013 01:27:54 | More by MickeyBeer
weskerwannabe

4.51/5  rDev +68.3%

It tastes in my opinion exactly like a Miller golden yellow beer should, but It's the carbonation that I just Love. Makes it feel so alive! I've never been a smooth beer drinker so Miller High Life is the perfect match for this guy :-) Cheers to livin' the high life

01-16-2013 23:17:06 | More by weskerwannabe
Anthogonist

2.84/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

In my opinion, I'd say that the miller high life is potentially the best tasting beer that the miller brewing co makes. That's not to say its a great beer, but lets face it, if I had to choose amongst the typical Miller brands, it would probably be this. As far as flavor, it's crisp and refreshing with a lot of carbonation. The taste is decent. It certainly isn't anywhere near the best, but I wouldn't rule it out.

01-09-2013 04:22:55 | More by Anthogonist
drabmuh

Maryland

2.18/5  rDev -18.7%

I am apparently completely losing my palate for these kinds of beers, this beer was completely undrinkable. It is always "fun" to visit my in laws, I get to try all these shitty beers that I would never pay for. I drank about 1/3 of a bottle of this and then gave it to my Father-in-law because I had had enough, never again.

Beer is yellow and effervescent with a white head with no retention, no lacing, strong carbonation.

Aroma is grainy, sweet, corn.

Beer is light and watery with a strong grainy aftertaste that really dominated the beer on the taste side of things. It is otherwise flavorless and the aftertaste is really unpleasant. I sort of hate it, the second and third drink do not improve the beer and the after taste goes more vegetal until it tastes like I'm drinking cream corn and boiled cabbage. Nope, not a repeat.

12-25-2012 03:00:51 | More by drabmuh
tjacobs610

3.28/5  rDev +22.4%

A- Good retention. Has a pale yellow golden hue with perfect clarity.

S- Cornish aroma, maybe some grain as well.

T- Solid in a light body. Grainy with mild hop bitterness. Clean on the palate with a smoothness that will make you want to take another sip.

D- Easy to drink with mild flavors and a good wash of crispness. A tasty American Lager.

12-06-2012 11:00:27 | More by tjacobs610
Gushue3

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

A Large white head forms that turns thin and foamy which stays around for a while. Body is a very pale yellow and clear. No carbonation seen and not lively at all. Surprised by the head actually.

S Pale malt and some fruity esters but pretty subdued. Thats about it.

T Somewhat sweet in the front that fades to a light sweet flavor that I associate with an adjunct lager. Not great tasting but a solid standby for the style

M Thin and watery, very easy to crush. Heavy carbonation with small bubbles.

O Welp its a High Life, the champagne of beers.

11-28-2012 01:22:08 | More by Gushue3
lwillitz

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - 1 finger bubbly white head atop crystal-clear body of straw yellow with moderate carbonation bubbles

S - malty corn smell; just a clean grainy nose

T - corny malt flavor balanced with a touch of generic hop bitterness, corn and a hint of alcohol combine for the finish

M - light/medium body, high carbonation; quite refreshing

O - High Life is bland on all counts, but close to par for the style. It would be refreshing after mowing the lawn, but not very enjoyable for much else.

11-20-2012 22:53:48 | More by lwillitz
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.