Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,073 | Hads: 3,377
3.33/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

for a long time i didn't know "the champagne of beers" meant it was extra frothy and bubbly but i always liked the nice buzz and the taste in those 12 ounce bottles ice cold the taste is awesome like over carbonated unsweetened black tea and it leaves a nice flavor to marinate in your mouth i haven't had one of theses in a while i think i might pick one up tomorrow for 2 bucks a 32 you can make another trip to the store (423 characters)

Appearance: pours a sudsy white 2" head that slowly recedes with some lacing. Plenty of streaming carbonation. Color is clear pale straw.
Aroma: mild aroma of corn sweetness, a bit of vegetable and a hint of lightly toasted barley. Mouthfeel: very light and watery, somewhat papery with a quite dry finish.
Flavor: not a lot going on here. There is some corn sweetness, and a bit of fruit (akin to a grape with very mild grape flavor).
Overall: This beer is ok, but very plain. It tastes the closest to a light beer (i.e. very close to plain water) of any macro lager I have tried yet. (588 characters)

This has been my favorite American macro for many years. Smell is light (btw, I can't smell things that well). Nice head leaves a lot of lacing in it's wake. It's hard to nail down in words why it's so good. A robust flavor; characterized mostly by corn, light malt, and grain. Highly carbonated. Nice dry finish with no aftertaste. Tastes like beer! (350 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I am living the high life. According to this can.

A: Crystal clear adjunt lager. Moderate carbonation. Finger of white head. Rapidly dissipating, but leaving a decent amount of lacing. Carbonation rapidly rises to form the head.

S: Fairly typical adjunct.

T: Just a light lick of corn sweetness. Teeny tiny amount of hop bitterness.

M: Slightly creamy, with a bit of good amount of seltzer. Very different experiences between the bottle and the glass.

O: A bit harsh in the mouth. this is an awesome stepping stone beer. Yo, teens, skip the Bud/Miller/Coors brigade and start with this one. Pretty awesome AAL. (620 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

16oz can poured into a snifter. Jun 09 14 on the bottom of the can.

A: Pours a clear light golden yellow with a slightly thin white head on top. Average amount of visible carbonation.

S: Has the aroma you would anticipate from one of the mass produced adjunct lagers. A corn like sweetness with a hint of metallic booze.

T: Mild dose of malt sweetness harnessed by a bready backbone. No offensive flavors going on here. Well balanced nothingness.

M: Light to medium body with a healthy dose of carbonation. Crisp and mostly clean finish.

Overall it is what it is. Run of the mill american adjunct lager with minimal redeeming qualities. Not sure I could pick this out in a lineup. (689 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

I drank this from a tall boy purchased from a 7-11 in a rash decision. However, I do really like High Life. It's great to bring to parties and it's always cheap. It has that classic American Golden tan and just the right amount of flavor to suffice. It's light and airy so it quenches your thirst pretty well. Great for outings, hikes, parties, or just lounging around. (369 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a fluted pilsner glass.

Look: Crystal clear light straw color. A huge rocky, soapy white head hardly recedes at all. Lots of foamy white lacing sticks to the glass.

Aroma: Very grainy, some grassiness, and a little bit of sweet corn in the end.

Taste: Cereal grains and sweet corn adjuncts hold up the body. A little bit of alcohol in the semi-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, dry.

Overall: Maybe it was because I was in a good mood, but this beer surprised me. It was clean tasting without any odd metallic elements like a lot of cheap beers. (564 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +11%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden color with a medium sized head. Lots of bubbles.

Smell: small hint of corn, plus hop smells.

Taste: Very crisp and light beer, some grains, not a lot of hops taste. Sort of a sweet taste.

Overall: Pretty average beer, from a macrobrewer and for the price I will say its an OK beer and one I do drink in college because of it. (348 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This poured golden and with bright clarity, a fat head of white foam that did persist in the form of lace that clung to the glass. The nose is faint grain and a bit of corn. The taste follows the nose all the way. it's mild. It has a bit of corn girts, a touch of corn sweetness and not too much malt. The carbonation is ample and bites a bit. There is a sour taste on the back end. I can't place it. Is it the beginnings of metallic? is ti yeasty? It gives a slight pucker tothe finish and a nice edge to the drink.

This beer was actually quite pleasant. Had no off flavors, no fruitiness at all and drank easily and without effort. It did not develop any off flavors as it warmed. It leaves a touch of sweetness as it finishes dry. (735 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

16oz : tulip pint
best by: June 16, 2014

Clear, golden yellow with a foamy, white head with nice retention and foamy lacing.

Grassy, lightly sweet, grainy malts.

Medium body, fizzy, foamy carbonation.

This one receives a lot of hate, but it really is a decent beer for the style that it is. Unoffensive flavors, easy drinking. (330 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The hipster in me really wants to like Miller High Life, but it is no means the champagne of beers. Each time I somehow end up drinking it, I just can't get over a weird musty flavor that this beer has. When I have it in a can, it does oddly taste slightly better than bottled, but still gross. If I'm going to go for a super cheap beer, I think I'm going to stick with PBR or Schlitz, since they have actual decent flavor compared to this swill. (446 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the 24 oz. ManCan into a 30 oz. wide mouthed ball jar with a custom pewter handle. We're gettin' FANCY ya'll

A: Standard AAL pale yellow with huge head that retreats into a thin fluffly head then a tight carbo-head about 2mm thick. Very clear.

S: Like a sewer. What the hell are they thinking? I mean euro pale lager is a distinct, but this is down right skunky sewer smells. Should have left it in the can! Pepe' Le'PEW + malty farts the next day. Ugh.

T: Once you get past that skunky sewer smell, the taste actually is kinda middle of the road. There is some malt there, the hops must be of the le'PEW varietal as mentioned because there is a hint of volatile sulphur or something on the palate. This is not the sulphur from original Rolling Rock water, this is like hydrides of sulphur, not methylated sulphur or other amoratic sulphur that is slightly less pungent.

M: Surprisingly, it finished clean and almost dry. little slickness on the center and a bit of lively carbo on the edges.

O: It's literally the middle of the pack as far as AAL goes. There is some redeming qualities to these brews, but the ones that have that chalky finish and skunky nose just kill it for the rest that might be decent. (1,225 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -21.4%

I brought a 24 oz can from a local bodega. I usually drink craft but I decided to give the champagne of beers a try. I poured it into a wine glass and was surprised. It's golden hue and bubbly carbonation makes it look like champagne. Other than that there is nothing special about its appearance. It smells rather sweet, probably due to corn or other adjunct. When it came to taste, I was pleasantly surprised. I can actually taste a mild hop character. This paired with its smoothness makes for a easy drinking beer. While it is not my first choice, I would choose over other American macro brew. (598 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I sometimes have one because of its placement in the Back to the Future films. And apparently I need to type 250 characters, so I will say this: Why does Biff complain about the McFlys only having lite beer when he's at their house? I guess the product placement was for the entire Miller line (293 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +51%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the champagne of beers - and for good reason. This is the beer of choice for folks that just want to drink beer. Those that want a beer that tastes like a double latte with 1 shot of vanilla, 1/2 shot of hazelnut, and light foamy milk, should try one of the microbeers in your area. However, at its current price point, packaging, and taste, you cannot go wrong bringing a 6 pack of high lifes to your best friend's bbq. (428 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

32 ounce can purchased at the local quick mart.

A: Pale, translucent gold. Decent amount of head that dissipates quickly.

S: Nothing much to speak of, grain and alcohol.

T: Not awful but not exactly good either. More grain and booze.

M: Best part, better than expected. Smooth with some body.

O: Honestly what does one expect for under 2$ for 32 ounces? I have had worse. (376 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Tallboy can reviewed over the weekend. I am pretty surprised it took this long to get this review in but kind of happy I waited. Full notes taken while consuming.

A- Poured from the tallboy can to two pint glasses, finally getting to the champagne of beers. Crystal clear, really!, uber pale golden body with a foamy white cap. Head rises to about two fingers and has poor to fair retention. Foamy ring leaves spotty lace and some patches.

S- Really, really not much going on here. Slight pale lager yeast and malts but pretty much have to search for it, beyond clean (in all aspects). Maybe a hint of fruit.

T- Opens up and some more going on here but really not a ton. Rice and pale cracked grains come to mind with a tiny hint of lager ester fruits. Bread and popcorn is about how I sum it up.

MF- Lightest possible body with a high carbonation attacking the taste buds. Texture is about the opposite of creamy, watery and fizzy.

I don't really know anymore. Somehow this doesn't taste like complete shit to me. I was more bothered by this when I was about 20-21 but now I find lager yeast hints. Leaves you wishing for more and lacks anything all that enjoyable. (1,171 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +3.1%

This is the only AAL that I can say I enjoy. While there is nothing special about it, there is also nothing offensive. For me, the mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy, which is what makes this one for me. It's also cheaper than its bud, coors, miller counterparts. (266 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Miller High is brewed by Miller Brewing Co. with an ABV of 4.60% . The Champagne of Beers, been around since 1903. Pours out a nice Amber Color, with a nice white head. The Smell is that of an american style beer. The taste is nothing special but it ok. You pick up grains , malts, and a hit of hops. Nothing bad, but nothing good. Miller High Life has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. Overall, I give this brew a 3.25 out 5. Not the best , but not the worst. I may get this brew to switch it up from the Budweiser products every once in awhile. (584 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -13.1%

Overall it's a good choice if you're picking between cheap American lagers. Serve it chilled and the "drinkability" will be high. You and a couple friends can kick pack a twelve pack easily.

Don't think too much about it. Not very complex but definitely sweeter honey feel than other American lagers. My go to for cheap American lagers. (338 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can that somehow managed to find its way into my fridge after a party into a Deep Ellum Pint glass. This is my first BMC since turning 21.

Appearance: Translucent, pale honey. A persistent one finger head that leaves a lot of lacing after it disappears relatively quickly. Looks like most good lagers do.

Smell: Sweet, banana lager yeast. Not particularly pungent, but inoffensive enough.

Taste: This is really sweet, in a corn type of way. Lager flavor comes through on the end. Watery, but that's to be expected with a BMC.

Mouthfeel: Really high, prickly carbonation. Thin, watery body.

Overall: That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can see why High Life is considered one of the better ones. I'll need to find some Schlitz Gusto soon, though. (776 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Yesterday, while purchasing another brew @ an establishment I use frequently for such purposes, I strolled by a cooler that had gold, white and green colored 32 ounce cans of it, just sitting there, staring out through the cold plate glass. I walked by and bought something else (another story another time) but had a weird dream last night about that 32 oz can of Miller's High Life, beckoning.
So, I went back, bought 2 of them there cans and here I am, describing it.
Well, it's one of the brews I sometimes spoon out the foam from the top of the glass I poured it into. Like the soapiness head isn't really beer flavored but serving only as a real thick filtering layer before liquid escapes.
But in all actuality, I like the taste of Miller High Life. I do, and I apologize not for finding my taste receptors enjoy a Miller every now and again and even twist a grinder of chunky sea salt on a hot summer day or on a frozen winter one, too, enhancing this old American standard beer, much like a mustard smeared pretzel and good talk among long friends does. (1,062 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -2.8%

Had the "Champagne" of beer in a can at the American Tap Room in Richmond Va.

What can you really say about this beer that hasn't been said before?

It is very carbonated, but in my opinion smooth, and very drinkable. This is one of those beers that is not complex, not very something that will make you a craft beer lover, or anything like that. This is a beer to drink on a hot day when you want a beer but nothing heavy, or to simply get a good buzz on for a decent price.

Good tailgater, good summer time beer, worth a shot but as usual with anything other than craft beers, Beer snobs should avoid. (608 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Good Ol High Life. Poured into a traditional tavern glass. It pours a normal everyday pale straw, gold. Just like most big American lager breweries. The smell, sweet, not overpowering, closing time at the bar, beer spilled on the counter, and floor smell. Sounds great huh? Just smells like, well...beer.

Taste, ahh, this is my Miller Park beer during the games. High Life has always had a distinct taste for me. Medium carbonation, sweet, grassy, slightly metallic on this tasting. I dont know, its just a good, easy drinking , working mans brew. Its got the corn, adjunct taste, enough malt to keep things tasty. Good by itself, or with pizza, and BBQ.

I still cant find Schlitz, or Blatz wherever I might stop in, but almost everyplace carries High Life. This was $9.99 for a 18pk of bottles, not bad. I know clear bottles get a bad wrap, but I like the High Life bottle shape, and looking at this decent American beer. (927 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typical American adjunct lager smell if that is what your type of beer, very soapy head on it. The mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation but very smooth. Its actually not the corn/veggie aftertaste that miller usually puts out. Im actually surprised. For what it is, A.A.L i could get youst to buying this and drinking it on a daily basis. Plus the price is about 17.99 USD for a 30 pack. (388 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.