2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,489 | Reviews: 997 | Show All Ratings:
Gagnonsux

2.55/5  rDev -4.9%

Miller High Life is definently better than I remember most of the other Miller brands being (It beats Miller Lite any day). Still, High Life is only a slightly better than average micro. It is the type of beer than is sweet for its price range and good in a cold mug on a hot day, but its not a beer I'll be clamoring for again. I would recommend this beer for friends as a means of taking baby steps away from Coors and Miller Lite or as a cheap session beer.

06-13-2004 21:30:48 | More by Gagnonsux
canoehornpoint

2.42/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a pale straw color with minimal head and a fair amount of carbonation. Aroma is sort of sour corn grist. It pretty much tastes the same. It has a roasted corn flavor that finishes sour. MGD is a bit better. Seems like there is a bit less corn and not as sour and gristy.

06-12-2004 01:19:31 | More by canoehornpoint
beertaster13

Washington

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Still pours the standard light yellow with minimul head, suprisingly the smell a little more funky out of the bottle, smell hints of earth tones with a strong smell of grain and grilled corn. Taste is a bit bitter, hops and a strong sour grain taste. Cool and refreshing but suprisingly didn't like as much as canned.

06-06-2004 17:29:01 | More by beertaster13
putnam

4.15/5  rDev +54.9%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer.

05-23-2004 00:36:19 | More by putnam
BadBadger

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

This lager is not bad for what it is...an inexpensive beer. This beer tastes better out of a cold long-necked bottle after mowing the lawn, rather than when poured into a pint glass to be savoured. The beer is light-clear-golden. When poured there is a moderate head for a short period. The smell is odd-is that corn? Taste is not at all remarkable, other than some what corny. This lager is ok for a cheap refreshment straight out of the bottle when working in the yard. But is not something I would buy to sit back and enjoy. I recommend par-boiling ribs in this stuff.

05-22-2004 23:34:01 | More by BadBadger
ngandhi

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grainy and phenolic notes that are, believe it or not, reminiscent of some Belgian tripels. Though clean and filtered down to nothing, the nose is enticing with yeast -- a true riddle since it has none left in it and the original yeast should be a bland lager strain. This has a lot of character -- not just for macro lagers, but for beer in general.

Relax, relax.
ng

05-13-2004 13:27:01 | More by ngandhi
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer comes out of the can with an incredibly impressive head for a macro. Its white fluffyness leaves a very impressive lacing on the pint glass. Other aspects of its physical presence aren't so pretty: its perfectly sterlized Union-made color doesn't scream "drink me".

The nose is all sweet grains, as is the taste. I was suprised by the semi-cloying sweetness and was at once reminded of a cream stout (?). There is a little bit of a fruitiness to the nose but its drowned out by adjuncty grains.

The mouthfeel was super watery but all in all a quite drinkable "shit" beer. I would never go so far as to buy any of this, but if people are offering them ice cold and its hot outside i'll partake.

05-02-2004 18:09:55 | More by GreenWBush
cptnjck101

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

I don't know what it is about Virginia, but High Life is the unofficial brew of our titty bars. Unless you want to drop $3.50 for a longneck of Bud/Bud Light, it's pitchers of High Life for you and the guys. It tastes like a pretty standard Macro out of a tap, although it does have a little more personality than the Buds and Coors of the world. It's cheap and it gets the job done, no more no less. And when your shoving dollars down Bambi's g-string, I can't think of a beer I'de rather have by my side than the High Life.

04-29-2004 07:47:38 | More by cptnjck101
GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Alaska

3.43/5  rDev +28%

I've drank too many of this beer to have not reviewed it. So here goes...my first, and perhaps last, macro lager review.

Pours a golden color, with plenty of white, foamy, fizzy head.
The beer tastes of corn and some malt, followed by a sweetness which may be inherent, or may be a device of Miller. I don't know. But there is a subtle sweetness which really is the contributing factor to its drinkability.
When I mow the lawn, you can usually spot a bottle of this sitting in the shade waiting for me to take a break. Also goes great with pizza, chips, and football games, or a pallete cleanser between craft beers of your liking.
Far from being a crafted beer, but served cold, it is a very refreshing beverage for me. A real thirst quencher.

04-28-2004 14:32:56 | More by GIVEMEBACKMYSON
DPMomutant

Missouri

2.93/5  rDev +9.3%

A light golden yellow as per most American "macro" lagers but not as light as most. I was a bit aggressive but there's a decent, clinging head to this. Looks pretty good.

The smell is neither impressive nor objectionable. Some malt and corn are what I catch most. Take out the corn and it would probably be great.

There isn't much taste to this beer. Some dryness at the end but not much else. Probably a sign my tastes have developed some because I used to think this had more taste. I can't say it's bad, but I was expecting something.

The mouthfeel is watery as most would expect. Some carbonation with it. The dryness is not something I usually prefer, though.

This beer is still drinkable, but not one I'd seek out for a cheap session anymore as I recently found PBR to be better. It is one of the cheaper, decent macros that I can easily find in a bottle (albeit a clear one) though.

04-26-2004 06:59:42 | More by DPMomutant
Southernbrew

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Piss yellow, decent head.

Some corn and grains, not much to the aroma.

Medium body, kind of smooth. Some sweetness and corn like flavors. Very clean though, nice and crisp. No real aftertaste.

"The champagne of beers" I guess by champagne, they mean Freixenet. This is my favorite dirt cheap American lager. $4.50 for 6, can't beat that.

04-19-2004 23:15:16 | More by Southernbrew
granger10

Wisconsin

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this beer yet. This is my cheap shit beer to drink when I either have NO money or don't feel like thinking when I'm drinking (if that makes sense). Pours a golden color with a medium sized white head, bubbles racing to the top. The flavor is slightly bready and really grainy. Definitely some adjuncts here but thats ok. Cheap ingredients but this is actually quite smooth and crisp. Not too sweet either, slight bitterness even. Plus it is so cheap. Live the high life.

04-18-2004 23:54:03 | More by granger10
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller High Life was the beer that my friends and I drank most often when we were pre-legal. That was a long, long time ago, but I remember it as being less offensive than many of the other macros and it was 'easy drinkin'. I have no doubt that my tastes have changed considerably, but when I saw a 24 oz. can for $1.00 in my local grocery, I just had to buy it. I'll be drinking it at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees. It will have to sink or swim on its own and will not benefit unfairly from numb taste buds.

Pale yellow-amber; a shade too dark to be called straw. The head is pure white, small-medium in size after an aggressive pour and actually lasts for a bit. It leaves a little lace to look at as well. The smell is not encouraging (I won't use the word 'nose' here). It's a funky, cooked grain, corn mash smell that does not portend good things for the flavor.

Amazingly, the beer tastes pretty much how I remember it from all those years ago; that doesn't mean that I like it however. The flavor profile is sweet and grainy, deflates quickly and leaves the palate relatively clean. The finish is sour and somewhat dry. The body is unquestionably sub-par, but at least it isn't what I'd call watery.

Miller High Life is not good beer, but it is considerably better than the Bud Light that I had a while back. At least it doesn't make me grimace and look for a suitable place to spit it out. As well, it would have benefitted from being consumed hyper-cold on a stiflingly hot day. Not 'The Champagne of Beers', not by a long shot, but one could do much, much worse.

03-30-2004 16:30:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
Foxman

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

It pours a pale straw yellow, crisp looking and crystal clear. A bright white head evolves quickly to a couple fingers, then settles out promptly. There's a little bonus lacing as it drains.

The aroma is weak and thin, so vague that it's difficult to nail any one element down. The best I can do is call it vegetal, and pretty much standard macro fare smell-wise.

The flavor stands out a bit more, with a sweet grainy character bearing a veritable note of corn. There is a light grassiness along with a blunt metallic tang, likely the effects of whatever hops are here. The finish is a mellow dry bitterness. Overall, it's not world-class, but it's not unpleasant either.

Very light bodied, it has just enough consistency to carry the flavor in, then let it drain away.

So it won't help you, and it won't hurt you. And for a macro, that's not a bad deal. I'm not going to justify the average taste or the non-existent specific smell, but I'll tell you that this beer is drinkable because it's not heavy, it's crisp and refreshing, and goes down smooth. With nothing to overtly offend, I'm not at all upset that this is all my neighbor had in his fridge. Of course, it's now my turn to open his eyes to what's in mine...

03-19-2004 15:41:14 | More by Foxman
DESTRO

Nevada

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

this stuff is so cheap, how can you not snatch it up every now and then? it glugs out golden and fizzy with a wack excuse for a head. smells corny, a bit sweet, but it dosnt put one off. pleasant in the mouth, lightly sweet, pretty clean, some corn. it has that cheap american lager taste, but it does it alot better than most cheap american lager. crisp in the mouth, quenching and goes great with junk food. i keep it handy.

$3.99 for a six pack huzza!

02-26-2004 07:07:42 | More by DESTRO
UDbeernut

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%

While at the liqour store, I saw that this beer was the same price as a six back of Nasty Light and Beast. Not wanting to drink those, I decided to try this brew.

Pours a nice gold color. Flavor is clean with and very smooth. This is deffinatly a "session beer" and one of the best out there for the price.

I would deffiantly buy this again.

02-20-2004 01:50:05 | More by UDbeernut
beergeek279

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Served in the clear 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is golden, with a short, foamy white head. The smell is a very sweet golden malt. The taste is decently sweet, with a bit of bitterness at the end; there's a slight astringent offness, but not nearly as bad as other macros. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, in its class, it's not bad.

Quite a decent lawnmower beer. Though not something I'd look for at a beer bar, in its price range it's certainly something I'd drink if I were drinking a macro.

02-17-2004 04:26:57 | More by beergeek279
Zorro

2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours the standard clear yellow that we always see in American macros, it is darker than Budweiser.

Smell is mild grain and a bit of hops

Tastes are mildly sweet with crackers being the main taste. No off flavors present, tastes mostly of sweetness and grain.

Mouthfeel is actually present.

It is drinkable, but really this isn't a German Hefe-Weisse!

02-12-2004 03:47:22 | More by Zorro
counselor

Connecticut

yellow beer with a good head. Smells of grass and hay. Tastes the same with a dry finish. Thin mouthfeel evident of the adjuncts. I suppose it is ok to chug a few back after some yardwork or building a deck, but nothing to sit back and enjoy for the taste.

01-29-2004 20:26:51 | More by counselor
WetCoaster

2.55/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Pour produces a huge, rocky, pure white head that lasts for quite a while. Honest to God lacing that clings to the glass. Color a typical pale straw, crystal clear. Better than it has to be.

Smell: Wow, this is tough. Er... A bit... sweet, maybe? A tad floral, perhaps? Honestly, just not much there.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy--no surprise there. The taste starts slightly sweet, but quickly becomes a bit grainy, a bit metallic, and finishes a bit bitter. Very little aftertaste. Very little taste, period. Not a bad thing, though; none of the weird/mungy flavors and aftertastes you run across in a lot of macros, very clean.

Drinkability: It's perfectly harmless, neither awful nor exceptional. When you want beer as a beverage rather than an experience, this will do fine. At $12/case, I can't complain.

01-22-2004 06:04:53 | More by WetCoaster
JAL67

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

I guess you can say an American classic. An ok beer that does get slammed but hey it does have its place and besides many old timers drank this back in the day and I have to respect that.

This is a beer that I won't turn down but at the same time won't go out of my way to buy either...but when served nice and cold on a hot summer's day...mmmm nice.

So that's it ...basic ok beer and sometimes that's all you need.

Cheers

01-17-2004 05:51:59 | More by JAL67
mschofield

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%

Well this was given to me for free at the liquor store.
Poured a very pale yellow, highly carbonated, apart from it's two finger large bubbled white head, this actually does look like champagne. Laced in partial rings, head remained as a film. I guess the marketing isn't lying there, but of course why should a beer look like champagne?
Malty, cereal aroma, like when you first open a box of rice crispies, a touch of lemon.
Lightly malted taste, a little bitter.
Light feel (that word came to mind a lot when drinking).
It's not horrible, nothing would stand it the way if you wanted to drink a lot, on the other hand there is nothing there that would make you want to drink a lot.

01-13-2004 22:21:03 | More by mschofield
ElGordo

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

Presented in a clear bottle with nice "Champagne of Beer" labeling. Clear yellow with a fizzy, foamy head. Not much aroma, a hint of malt and adjunct. Taste is more of the same - crisp, clean, generic macro beer. Not bad - in fact, it went perfectly with the chili I made today. Still, though, this is not exactly a high-quality brew.

01-11-2004 01:09:33 | More by ElGordo
TastyTaste

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

I used to drink this stuff all the time, so I decided to revisit it. At $10.49 a case of bottles, it is extremely cheap. Crystal clear golden color, with a short lived white head. Smells of corn and malt. Tastes extremely sweet, and gainy, not very good at all. Not a beer to buy.

12-19-2003 05:24:36 | More by TastyTaste
NickLovesBeer

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

High Life it pours a pale yellow, looks like straw with a tiny head and lots of carbonation. It looks kind of like sprite with yellow food coloring. The taste is very bland and carbonated, just not impressive at all. The champagne of beers as right as far as carbonation goes, but not as far as taste. A real dissapointment.

11-12-2003 04:08:47 | More by NickLovesBeer
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.