1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,478 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
Rootdog316

2.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Miller High Life is a great all around beer. However, I wouldn't necessarily call it the "Champagne of Beers." I mean its good and all, but that title is very prestigious. I like the bottle it is in, very unique look. Its got a great taste, and one of my favorite beers around right now.

05-14-2003 23:45:34 | More by Rootdog316
sabrills70

1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

Yellow water. Not much of anything her to even speak of. It's a standard mass produced American "beer". The only reason I even opened it is because a friend of mine left one in my fridge, and I don't like to waste beer, not even this one. I'm sure that there is a time and place that this would taste really good, I just don't know when or where it would be.

05-14-2003 19:56:13 | More by sabrills70
Edwin

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If you're like me, you love good beer, but can't always afford to drink it. When you're looking to entertain 10 of your buddies and need to buy in bulk, why not grab the High Life? Of all the lower-tiered beers (Bud, Coors, etc), I have to say that this is the one that stands out as the best. It is really easy to drink. People give it a bad rap because it is cheap, but not every beer can cst $30 a case (you snobs!).
The bottles are beautiful, and the slogan says it all: the Champagne Of Beers. There's even a girl sitting on the moon on the label. She loves to live the High Life, why shouldn't you?
If you're drinking in bulk ar just relaxing watching a baseball game, pick up a case and start living...the High Life. Enjoy!

05-08-2003 13:29:30 | More by Edwin
Tballz420

2.53/5  rDev -5.6%

A big fluffy white, and very inconsistant head tops this pale gold beer. Lots of carbonation bubbles. For about 12 bones you can get 30 of these guys. May not be the best beer in the world, but it cetainly isnt the worst. I used to be a king of beers guy for getting hammered, but this could be my new go to guy for the weekends.

05-03-2003 15:31:55 | More by Tballz420
usualpulp

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours very clear with a short white head. The looks are very average, and the smell is almost non existant. The mouthfeel is very thin, with a slight carbonation feel. The taste is surprisingly not bad, there are small hints of hop and corn, a slight crispness is there as well. Overall this would be a good beer on a hot day, but nothing you want to drink for flavor. For the price its a winner, it averages under $15 for a 30pk. If you want a good cheap beer, this one isnt bad, but it wouldnt be my first choice, PBR would be at the top of my cheap beer list. But this beer isnt too far behind.

04-30-2003 17:50:05 | More by usualpulp
WMBierguy

Maryland

1.08/5  rDev -59.7%

This beer is horrible. It doesn't look too bad, but open it up and experience the crappiness that is High Life. It smeels horrible and tastes even worse. No matter how cheap it is and how tempting it may be, do not buy Miller High Life. Pick up Pabst Blue Ribbon instead. Champagne of beers my ass.

04-26-2003 18:40:02 | More by WMBierguy
Dogbrick

Tried some from a pitcher at the Pirate's Adventure in Orlando. Keeping my streak alive of not paying for a beer I am positive I won't like. Fizzy yellow crap, and I would rather eat belly button lint than pay for something like this. High life indeed.

04-22-2003 12:11:31 | More by Dogbrick
far333

Connecticut

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

A few weeks ago I was visiting a buddy who is a brewer and never lacking great beer, but he had 4 Millers in the fridge that his father-in-law left behind. So we each cracked one for a goof. I have to say, it was much better than I expected. I had the misfortune of drinking a Bud a little while back, and the Miller easily blew that away. Miller's color is a deeper yellow, there is actually a faint hoppy aroma, and the taste is fairly smooth. No bitter aftertaste. The head is thin and leaves quickly, and yes it's watery without much character, but it goes down easy and is not offensive. If I find myself in a situation where it's Miller or nothing, I'll have a Miller with my host.

04-15-2003 04:19:49 | More by far333
AtLagerHeads

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

The "Champagne of Bottled Beers" was always such a treat in my youthful years. Like most clear-bottled beers you must get this one as fresh as possible or you're in for some strong skunk overtones. A clean, crisp beer, the Miller formula still works well enough and this is clearly BTB. Not a bad "go-to" beer if A-Bs are the only other choice. Clear yellow, quickly departing white head, and virtually no lace, but the malt body with adjuncts is tasty enough to satisfy. A bit of a forced carbonation bite in the mouthfeel.

04-13-2003 10:48:20 | More by AtLagerHeads
Redrover

3.24/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz tall blonde (clear glass) long neck

Beer pours a very pale yellow with large chemically looking head. The foam shrinks but doesn't disappear, hardly any lacing.

Smell is almost non existent. Hits of grain, no real hops or malt. They have made this one smell clean!

Taste is also pretty bland, just sweet enough to let you know that there is some malt/grain. Hints of hops and good carbonation keeps things moving. This beer is brewed for easy drinkablity and minimal taste. They have succeeded.

I'll take a Miller over a Bud or Coors if thats my only choice. I also like High Life better than MGD. Still, lots of better American lagers to choose from!

04-06-2003 14:19:42 | More by Redrover
WVbeergeek

The champagne of beers, well okay mabye that's pushing it just a bit, but I will say this it's one of the best shittiest beers around. I know that's a contradiction but for the price and being a college student I will live the High Life. Cmon this is a classic beer, hell I even contemplated making it my 100th. It pours a true golden color, already better than budweiser. I will say this is a fizzy golden beer with a highly carbonated get ready to belch foaming head she even leaves somewhat of a decent lace. The aroma is slightly vegetable with a lot of grainy adjunct ridden flow going on here. Not repulsive not complex, it's just beer at it's most simple macro light American lager form. A great crisp sweetness that is balanced by some hop bitterness to form one simple yet classic taste. Miller High Life is a beer worth a try, and when there is other beers attempting to be good around that aren't, I always go back to the High Life because it knows it's not a good beer. Refreshing with a creamy smooth mouthfeel that forms a foamy mustache on me, I love this brew along with the girl on the moon. You can drink this stuff all night it is meant to be swill, and there is no off flavors here or bad hangovers. So, for the style I give it my thumbs up!!!

03-28-2003 17:02:33 | More by WVbeergeek
jtw5877

Pours a golden hue with a white head, not a bad macro lager. Fairly crisp clean taste. No real dominant flavor, just a basic drink it on a hot day beer. Kinda cool retro packaging. Cheap, available everywhere, and not too bad. In a pinch it will get the job done.

03-24-2003 16:42:17 | More by jtw5877
BeerAngel

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours an ultra-clear pale straw color with a snow-white fluffy head. The head retention is actually amazing for a macro. The smell of sweet corn adjuncts and a black pepper aroma in the background smell decent for what it is. The taste is a very mild earthy grain with again, some corn adjuncts and almost a hint of hops. Most all of the bite is from the carbonation. It is a thin bodied beer and drinkability is fairly high, especially in the Texas heat. I still prefer PBR over this, but this beer is not bad, it's just rather bland and boring. Cheers!

03-19-2003 18:52:39 | More by BeerAngel
BitteBier

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a light, clear straw color with some carbonation and minimal but clingy head. Smell wasn't particularly strong but likewise wasn't unappealing. Light grains and some sweetness reach the nose. Taste is likewise fine but unremarkable. Crisp at the start with a somewhat clingy mouthfeel. Various flavors (hops, sweet malt, spice) are present, but the edges seem to have been taken off them to make this decidedly mainstream. Decidedly drinkable.

03-18-2003 05:45:22 | More by BitteBier
Winter

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -3.7%

The "champagne of beers" pours a clear pale gold in color with a white foamy head. Aroma consists of an oddly sweet malt, alcohol and hops scent. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp. Taste is somewhat refreshing when cold, but overall a bland collaboration of malt, grain and corn. Of the Miller big 3, High Life is a better choice than the watered down Miller Lite and lackluster MGD from a "taste only" stand point, but that's like saying it's the lesser of the evils. I guess if I had to choose a beer from the American macros, this would probably be it. Certainly there are worse macros out there.

03-10-2003 19:22:17 | More by Winter
JohnnyDuvel

2.83/5  rDev +5.6%

I hadn't tried High Life in many years prior to this taste test. I remembered it as being the sweetest of the mainstream beers (and sheer piss when warm!). For this test, I had it along side of Bud, Yuengling, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. The Miller had a decent appearance, light golden color, foamy head, small retention and lace. The smell was decent. Somewhat spritzy in the taste and mouthfeel, and after a while, I began to taste something similar to a white wine (like pinot grigio?), which certainly suprised me. I could not drink this along with any of my regular beers. Far to weak and mainstream. But, it was better than I expected, and I probably will get it again some time, for when I'm in the mood for such a beer.

02-27-2003 20:04:49 | More by JohnnyDuvel
NeroFiddled

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

Clear straw gold with a full head of bright white foam. It's retention is surprisingly good. It maintains a creamy collar and light surface covering throughout the glass, and leaves some very nice lace. The nose expresses a sweet malt with a very light touch of sulphur (but no more than should be expected of any lager). The body is medium/light. It's bubbles appear to be standard-sized and the carbonation level is median. The mouthfeel starts crisp but becomes lightly creamy as it crosses the palate. The flavor is as the aroma indicates with a clean, sweet-malt (obvious use of adjunct due to it's lack of graininess) dominating over whatever bitterness is present. It finishes dry with some lingering maltiness (but it never builds on the palate). Well done and enjoyable, although a touch sweet.

02-08-2003 20:43:11 | More by NeroFiddled
texascarl

Kansas

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Opened a 32 oz can of this a few nights ago, the best thing in a cooler in a gas station in the middle of nowhere. The can of beer wasn't quite as good as I remembered it tasting in the (clear) bottles.

Appearance = pale golden, medium + carbonation, poured a large head that wasn't very long lasting.

Aroma = not much of one. Sweet, hints of 'metal can'.

Taste = sweet, light. Crisp mouthfeel. Not half bad, and considering the price I paid and the selection that was available at that gas station I'd buy this one again. I do remember preferring the taste of this beer in bottles (tho' with that clear glass beware of skunk.)

02-03-2003 13:00:59 | More by texascarl
BeerManDan

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Of all the cheap beers, this is my favorate. Why do they have to bottle this beer in a white bottle is beyond me. I think that this could be the top selling beer, if they gave it a chance and bottle it in an amber color bottle. I think this is a mellow/smooth brew with a mild bitter after taste.

01-30-2003 19:27:36 | More by BeerManDan
JISurfer

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of my most favorite cheap beers. It has a nice light taste, but at the same time it had some hoppy taste to it. It is just the average light yellow color with a white "head" to it. The head didn't really last long. It goes perfectly on a hot summer day, at the beach, or watchin' the game. Get some.

01-25-2003 21:18:40 | More by JISurfer
Reidrover

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

This was my most favorite beer in the world for a few years when i lived in Georgia( USA that is)..its cheap, it tastes ok..and goes down real easy on a hot humid Georgia summer night..and it goes well with fried catfish! What more could you ask.
Its still a pretty good American style lager beer..its good value for what it is..nothing fancy working mans beer.Still drink this in the summer now and again..but not as often here in Oregon.

01-24-2003 23:16:09 | More by Reidrover
johnrobe

Tennessee

2.7/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my father's staple summertime beer when I was growing up. So I picked up a six pack out of curiousity (I figured, what the heck? I can cook with them if I hate it). It's not as bad as I remember most macros being...but not that good either. It definitely has value as a summertime quencher. It pours a pale straw yellow in the glass with a bright white and extremely fizzy head. "Champagne of Beers" must refer to the fizzy head, not the quality. The smell is of corn-like sweetness. The taste is not bad actually, it's just that the initial burst of flavor is so extremely short lived. There's some toasted bready malt, that corn sweetness and just a hint of herbal hops. Mouthfeel is light and there's a high degree of carbonation. Save this one for a very hot day and drink it ice cold.

01-14-2003 20:48:13 | More by johnrobe
Webby64

Indiana

3.28/5  rDev +22.4%

What the hell! This is in my opinion the best cheep beer there is. Poors straw yellow with a thin head that lingers and clings to the top, lots of carbonation bubbles. little or no smell, maybe a sweet yeasty smell, flowery. Taste is sweet, touch of hops, little aftertaste.

This is now on the top of my list when the budget is low. Drink it cold!!!!!

M

01-04-2003 13:49:06 | More by Webby64
elmocoso

2.93/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light straw color, with lots of carbonation bubbles rising to a not-to-bad head. the head is a kind of off white, kind of unusual color.

decently crisp and but sweet smell - nothing spectacular.

not a bad taste for a macro-swill. light and easy drinking, thats for sure.

mouthfeel is on the light side for a non light beer.

overall drinkibility is not bad, im sure they would go down easy whilst mowing yonder lawn.

01-02-2003 18:01:09 | More by elmocoso
alittlehazy

Kansas

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

the good ol' champagne of beers. pours a "typical lager" yellow with a cool soap suds like head that hangs out for a bit. tastes like carbonated water with a little bite of skunk, bitterness at the end. mouthfeel is actually not too bad, goes down extremely smooth.

as far as cheap stuff i'd take this over most. perfect summer session beer, though if youre looking for any more than a medium in which to carry alcohol to the bloodstream, you might want to look elsewhere!

12-14-2002 02:00:39 | More by alittlehazy
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.