Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,078 | Hads: 3,398
2.32/5  rDev -20%

Nice golden color, sudsy (but short lived) foam. Not the most impressive looking beer, but not poor for its category. Beer scent is overpowered by a strong secondary odor of something unpleasant, (and kinda vomitty smelling). Corn? The taste is, for me, very much hurt by the odor. The taste itself (insofar as it can be separated from the smell) is also pretty poor. Tastes corny, bitter and offers an unpleasant pure alcohol flavor with each mouthful. It is clean, though, leaving little or no lingering aftertaste. Feels like a macrobrew in the mouth, sudsy and light. No major complaints there. Drinkability is something of a toss-up. The beer is light and clean, but the flavor and smell are a little off for me, making subsequant beers unappetizing.

Before I expanded my beer horizons, this was one of my several beers of choice. I was a little worried to try it really considering its quality. Alas its legacy is, for me, forever tainted. Even among macrobrews there are better choices. (996 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a big 32 oz. clear bottle into my pint glass. Clear golden yellow color with a bubbly 1 inch head on top. Actually leaves a bit of lacing on the glass as well. Fast rising carbonation. Aromas are mainly of sweet grain and corn along with a bit of an herbal/grassy hop as well. The sweetness makes this a bit less offensive than similar macros. Not bad.

First sip brings a nice sweet maltiness that's a mix of cereal grains and corn. The grassy hops bring in a bit of bitterness on the way down. Overall it's fairly smooth and has a decent flavor for a Miller brew. It's actually quite refreshing and easy to drink...one of the better macros I've tried.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin, but there's a nice steady carbonation that makes it feel a bit fuller. This is not something I'd pick up very often...but for a change of pace, as a hot summer lawnmower brew or if I'm out and there's not much selection...I'd choose a High Life over other macros. (960 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a pale yellow with a creamy head. Clean, crisp aroma with a hint of toasted corn. Tastes exactly like it smells. Clean, crisp with that ever present corn taste found in so many beers in this price range. No bad for what it is, a decent American macro lager. (263 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Definitely not even close to being the best beer in the world, but for some reason it holds a special place in my heart. Maybe it was the many days in high school and early college I spent drinking this. I even ran from the cops in order to preserve a twelve of it on my senior prom night. Ah yes, those were the days.

Drinking it now is not the same, however. My glory days are behind me, but the nostalgia factor of this beer still makes me smile. Now, on to the actual beer.

Shitty pale yellow color, but damn, what a head. It's huge and fluffy like my hair before it all fell out. Damn fine lace all the way down the glass.

The smell is pretty awful. Definite stale syrupy flavor, probably whatever sweetener or additives they put in here. No other characteristics.

The taste is sweet with a very slight bitterness that lingers on the back of my tongue. Not unpleasant but then again not very good either. Carbonation tickles, tee hee. Leaves my mouth feeling clean, like it was water, but only with some flavor.

Definitely meant for mass consumption, which isn't always bad. One of the more pleasant macro-brews. This and PBR are wicked good in a pinch. It's hard not to wish you were drinking something craft brewed, but when you think of the cash you saved buying a twelve of this for 6 bucks and the fact that it has some redeeming qualities, you'll soon forget about that bomber of Arrogant Bastard you're saving for Monday Night RAW. Great beer for the price, definitely better than Lite of MGD, and lightyears beyond anything Coors or Bud makes. That may not be saying much, but dammit, if you want a cheap beer that doesn't offend, this is the way to go. (1,682 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +7.9%

12 oz clear glass bottle

Good visible carbonation, large white head. The beer is actually quite interesting to look at, due to it's clear yellow color and clarity.

Smells of woody, grainy malts. Not too hoppy here.

Tastes like it smells, but the hops stand out more here.

Mouth is medium and bubbly.

Drinkable, one of the best macros I've had. (358 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +7.9%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle (clear), with freshness info printed on the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a decent sized white head that fades quickly, but leaves a decent lacing. Color is bright gold, and crystal clear.

Smell: Mainly grain smell with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Very smooth with just a hint of bitterness at the end. Slightly sweet compared to many macros.

Overall impression: If you're going to drink macro, this ain't a bad way to go ... considering the style I think it is a pretty good example. (529 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Miller High Life. The Champagne of Beers. Sure, whatever you say. What MHL is, in my opinion, one of the best macrobrewed beers that you can get. Rocky Mountain Pizza has this stuff at $5 dollar pitchers.

Clear straw color with a persistant thin lacing, this beer doesn't have a strong odor or flavor, but it is incredibely refreshing. I've had this with burgers and watching basketball games and it goes great with both. You could eat this with spicy foods such as chips and salsa without a tremendous clash of flavors. High Life is also very drinkable with absolutly no aftertaste. A great beer to have when watching the game.

And did I mention that its cheap? (670 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -11.7%

This was the beer I used for my second review...however this was before I feel I was an adequete reviewer and had my review style down. Thus I am going to re-review it using MY style (this review is for bottle, last was can)

Appearance-Poured the bottle out into the pint glass, I got a quarter inch of fizzy head that dissapeared slowly. Decent golden color with fine clarity/

Smell-Clean to say the least, I got a lot of grain, some DNS and maybe a smidgen of hop flavor. Not a lot going on here.

Taste-Full but fairly bland, some grainy hops that go down ok with a lingering bitterness, not all tha refreshing nor flavorful, but it is unoffensive to say the least.

Mouthfeel-smooth, nothing offensive here, not that much of an aftertaste, which I suppose is a good thing.

Drinkability-smooth and not that flavorful, I suppose it's ok for those who aren't in to craft beer, I would not have another unless it was all that was left.

Overall-still not a great beer, inoffensive and boring, better out of the bottle than the can but that doesn't say too much. Still not a beer that you should at all seek out and if your not into crap beer there are still many better American lagers. (1,201 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -19%

Had a bottle of this at Falt Top Johnnys this past Saturday night, in the company of David, Todd, Bochtech, and UncleJimbo, but the company and surroundings didn't make the beer any better. I poured the beer myself into a glass, and received liquid clear crystal gold for my trouble. No head to speak of and I did the pouring...that's not good. Aroma was of that sweet adjunctly style that is not appealing. But I didn't stop there, dove in, and encountered a medium bodied brew with very prickly carbonation. Tastewise, I thought it was mostly sweet malt with some citrusy notes in the finish. No, I will not get this again, and if I need 'the champagne of beers' I will continue my search for pink, green or gold Champale. (724 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -51.7%

Pours a piss yellow with no head. Smells of hardly anything, hints of grain and bread. Tastes bad, but honestly the best Miller offering. Tastes like 2 year old cereal. But not as bad as most macros. Had this at a party, and I won't have it again. I like how every review of this beer has to have an explanation as to why they had it. Anways, avoid this. (354 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -22.8%

Wow. It poured a nice gold with a surprisingly thick head that left lotsa lacing.But... tis true looks can be deceiving.The aroma was non existent,the flavor followed suit, very ,very bland and totallly lacking any discernable character.My father-in-law drinks this ,that's where I got the bottle to review,Thanks Pop,but no thanks. (332 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

Cleaning out the fridge to go shopping tomorrow on my day off Veterans Day (yes I work for the Feds). I had two bottles of this. Note: This is NOT my beer, my father drinks mostly this and PBR. He left it. I had to dispose of it. Might as well find out if it is as bad as I remember.

Appearance: Pale gold, small head that disappeared after one sip. No lacing. Bubbly (it is the "Champagne of Beers). All downhill from here.
Smell: Not much here, although I was surprised it was not skunked, being in a clear bottle and in my fridge for a month.
Taste: Slightly sweet on the outset, slightly bitter finish, made my stomach hurt.
Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated, watery.
Drinkability: Should be high, but I struggled to put 2 down. For some reason I have never really liked Miller products, even though I don't think they are that drastically different than the other macros in content. (888 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -22.1%

I just tryed this beer the other day after much curiousity. I have been searching for a cheaper session beer. Cheaper than Budweiser and MGD, $11.99 for a 30-pk.

The beer looked typical of Miller as I poured it into a glass, smelled weird though. This beer also had a frothy taste which felt comfortable against the palate. Unruly aftertaste. If this beer starts to get warm, it is almost impossible to stomach. Warmth brings out many weird flavors. After two of these, they became challenging to take down. When cold, the first two go down pretty easy.

If you're looking for the bargain beer, go for Pabst Blue Ribbon instead. (634 characters)

Yes, Miller High Life. The champagne of beers. I'm about to open a bottle and find out if it's skunked... And it's not. What a relief.

Appearance - pours pale yellow into the unwashed pilsner glass I drank an Anchor Liberty from last night. Lively, bubbley carbonation. Pretty decent head.

Smell - Smells like corn and paper.

Taste - Corny and slightly metallic, with a decent bit of malt in there. Simple, crisp. No hop flavor to be found. Pleasant for an adjunt lager that came from a clear bottle.

Moutfeel - What moutfeel? Watery?

Drinkability - Sure. If yer in the mood for an adjunct lager, this beats everything else from BudMillerCoors. It's priced right too. This was 3.50 a sixer. This is what I buy when I'm in the mood for cheap macro and I can't find any PBR. This is a beer that at least has the decency to taste like a cheap beer instead of tasting like nothing. And it's not painful to drink, unlike other beers in its price category such as Beast Ice.

I'm sure I'll end up buying this halfassed swill again, not very often though - just when it's time for a laugh and a good 'ol macrobrew. (1,130 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow, this is my first 'can' review. I find it odd how I tend to stay away from cans when I can (hmm, no pun intended). This beer is one of the staples of parties it seems but it's really the first time I've encountered it. I had a hearty chuckle reading its slogan, 'The Champagne of Beers'. You know what it's good for? Beer pong. I would not drink this if I had a choice, but hey it has a taste.

Pours like piss, smells like macro beer. Tastes like alcohol and some malt, isn't too skunky which is good for chucking a few ounces here and there when you're losing beer pong. We almost won! Overall, this beer isn't that great :). (633 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -9.7%

The champagne of beers. I guess it's all relative. You do get what you pay for. A $4 6-pack ain't too bad. It tastes like malt-liquor but who can resist those sexy bottles. You've got to admire their arrogance in marketing. Words like "champagne" and "high life" aren't words I'd use to describe it. (299 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -21.4%

This is my uncle’s beer. As long as I can remember, the guy has always had a cooler or fridge full of Miller High Life. Oddly enough, It’s taken me years to actually get around and try it for myself. And really, it seems that if I weren’t a beer geek and didn’t mind the taste of beer, I probably would have been a Miller man myself. There’s an extremely boring, cereal-like flavor, no aroma and no bitterness. What makes this better than the much-hated-by-me Budweiser is that it lacks that nasty flavor in the back that Budweiser has. This just doesn’t have much of anything. (583 characters)

a-pale yellow with a white head
s-smells of corn, malt, and hops
t-weak hop and corn taste. tasted more watery than anything
m and d-mouthfeel felt very watered down but the drinkability was averege because of that

I'm not to impressed with it very little flavor at all. One i'd say avoid. (290 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Appearance is a pale yellow with a nice head that lasted for the first few sips with a lace that continued down the entire glass.

Smell is nice for a macro with rice some sweet malts and mild hops.

Taste, most macros don't taste like beer (sorry AB I know you're consistant, but tasty, you're not). This one actually has the taste of malt and hops, and it finishes dry and a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel is wonderfull very light and crisp, just the right amount of carbination.

Drinkability, what a great session beer, it is easy to drink and inexpensive. When I have less money, I purchase the HIGH LIFE.

Great beer for a macro. I like it better than any AB product.

This is a nice beer. Macros are in a class by themselves, they're not great but some can be good. This beer is one of the good ones. Better than any other macro I have tasted. (853 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass. It pours a light gold color with three fingers of head. There is a good amount of lacing on the glass. The smell isn't too strong, but there's a little bit of grassy and malty aromas. The taste is smooth and malty, not much of an adjuncty flavor. A touchy of grassy hops on the finish. The mouthfeel is a little light and watery, not too bad for a macro. The drinkability is darn good though. Really the king of macros. (455 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29%

The beer after is release from the 12-ounce clear bottle sets in the glass a transparent gold with a modest bright white heat that is creamy in texture and after its desiccation leaves a thin sheet of lace to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, sweet and clean with the start lightly malted and somewhat sweet, top cadaverous. Finish is mild in acidity, the hops meek and mild, dry aftertaste. (390 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +19%

I've been drinking Miller Low Life (as it's been affectionately referred to amongst my posse) for more than a decade, but never actually sat down and tried to, like, savor it. So here goes...

Appearance is a wee bit darker than the average macro, or perhaps a bit darker than the average wee. The three-quarter-inch head is sticking around just a little bit and leaving behind little driblets of lacing (if you'd call it that). After 8-10 minutes, bubbles are still plooping up from the bottom. Really though, it shouldn't take 8-10 minutes to drink one of these.

Smells like every other Miller/Bud/etc. brew. I wouldn't be able to tell 'em apart by smell, that's for sure. It's the scent of corn mixed with some artificial thing that I guess I'm not beer-savvy enough to identify.

As long as it's cuh-hold, it tastes more than fine. Thoroughly average, which is a compliment when talking about a beer like this. With macro brews, deviation from "average" usually seems to mean skunky or otherwise funky. (I'm looking at you, Rolling Rock).

At $5.99 for a 12 pack of bottles, the drinkability speaks for itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go grab another Champagne... (1,187 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +6.6%

This is Miller's highest rated beer and it deserves to be. While it doesn't hold a candle to most of the other beers I like to drink, it's not bad. Cool and refreshing with very little taste, the beer pours a light platinum with some head and lacing but the head is quick to retreat. Flavor of perhaps lemon, but little else. Not as much character as the best industrial lagers of Europe, and little hop or barley flavors, but a crisp clean taste with none of the off-flavors that creep into American macros - cooked veggies, stale or skunky hops, etc. To be drunk ice cold from the bottle, or out of a very small glass (not a pint glass) -- at very quick speeds. I like the bottle design - retro? The girl on the moon is a nice touch, and the shape of the bottle itself is satisfying to hold (I can't fathom why, it just is). I've bumped up the appearance score accordingly. One of the only US macros I plan to buy again, if only for the dubious reason that there's nothing offensively bad about it. I'll stay away from the big bottles though; any unneccesary exposure to air or room temperature won't do this fragile beer any favors. (1,135 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +2.4%

Head never went away on this beer. just an average beer overall, nothing wonderfull, but nothing dispicable. smooth with a distinct flavor, nothing special, more than bud light but not sam adams, or killians. i have no idia why but the taste isnt bad to me. (257 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +16.2%

Easily the best adjunct lager I've ever had. Thats right folks, this beer has a flavor! Sure, its not much of a flavor. But its certainly a flavor. Yeah, its your typical macro taste with a little something extra. The guys over at miller must have splurged on the rice when formulating this recipe. A welcome suprise for sure. When the can hit my lips I was expecting another tasteless beer, but I got flavor. Not much, but more than normal. (441 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.