Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,073 | Hads: 3,375
3.13/5  rDev +7.9%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle (clear), with freshness info printed on the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a decent sized white head that fades quickly, but leaves a decent lacing. Color is bright gold, and crystal clear.

Smell: Mainly grain smell with a slight sweetness.

Taste: Very smooth with just a hint of bitterness at the end. Slightly sweet compared to many macros.

Overall impression: If you're going to drink macro, this ain't a bad way to go ... considering the style I think it is a pretty good example. (529 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Miller High Life. The Champagne of Beers. Sure, whatever you say. What MHL is, in my opinion, one of the best macrobrewed beers that you can get. Rocky Mountain Pizza has this stuff at $5 dollar pitchers.

Clear straw color with a persistant thin lacing, this beer doesn't have a strong odor or flavor, but it is incredibely refreshing. I've had this with burgers and watching basketball games and it goes great with both. You could eat this with spicy foods such as chips and salsa without a tremendous clash of flavors. High Life is also very drinkable with absolutly no aftertaste. A great beer to have when watching the game.

And did I mention that its cheap? (670 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -11.7%

This was the beer I used for my second review...however this was before I feel I was an adequete reviewer and had my review style down. Thus I am going to re-review it using MY style (this review is for bottle, last was can)

Appearance-Poured the bottle out into the pint glass, I got a quarter inch of fizzy head that dissapeared slowly. Decent golden color with fine clarity/

Smell-Clean to say the least, I got a lot of grain, some DNS and maybe a smidgen of hop flavor. Not a lot going on here.

Taste-Full but fairly bland, some grainy hops that go down ok with a lingering bitterness, not all tha refreshing nor flavorful, but it is unoffensive to say the least.

Mouthfeel-smooth, nothing offensive here, not that much of an aftertaste, which I suppose is a good thing.

Drinkability-smooth and not that flavorful, I suppose it's ok for those who aren't in to craft beer, I would not have another unless it was all that was left.

Overall-still not a great beer, inoffensive and boring, better out of the bottle than the can but that doesn't say too much. Still not a beer that you should at all seek out and if your not into crap beer there are still many better American lagers. (1,201 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -19%

Had a bottle of this at Falt Top Johnnys this past Saturday night, in the company of David, Todd, Bochtech, and UncleJimbo, but the company and surroundings didn't make the beer any better. I poured the beer myself into a glass, and received liquid clear crystal gold for my trouble. No head to speak of and I did the pouring...that's not good. Aroma was of that sweet adjunctly style that is not appealing. But I didn't stop there, dove in, and encountered a medium bodied brew with very prickly carbonation. Tastewise, I thought it was mostly sweet malt with some citrusy notes in the finish. No, I will not get this again, and if I need 'the champagne of beers' I will continue my search for pink, green or gold Champale. (724 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -51.7%

Pours a piss yellow with no head. Smells of hardly anything, hints of grain and bread. Tastes bad, but honestly the best Miller offering. Tastes like 2 year old cereal. But not as bad as most macros. Had this at a party, and I won't have it again. I like how every review of this beer has to have an explanation as to why they had it. Anways, avoid this. (354 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -22.8%

Wow. It poured a nice gold with a surprisingly thick head that left lotsa lacing.But... tis true looks can be deceiving.The aroma was non existent,the flavor followed suit, very ,very bland and totallly lacking any discernable character.My father-in-law drinks this ,that's where I got the bottle to review,Thanks Pop,but no thanks. (332 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

Cleaning out the fridge to go shopping tomorrow on my day off Veterans Day (yes I work for the Feds). I had two bottles of this. Note: This is NOT my beer, my father drinks mostly this and PBR. He left it. I had to dispose of it. Might as well find out if it is as bad as I remember.

Appearance: Pale gold, small head that disappeared after one sip. No lacing. Bubbly (it is the "Champagne of Beers). All downhill from here.
Smell: Not much here, although I was surprised it was not skunked, being in a clear bottle and in my fridge for a month.
Taste: Slightly sweet on the outset, slightly bitter finish, made my stomach hurt.
Mouthfeel: Thin, carbonated, watery.
Drinkability: Should be high, but I struggled to put 2 down. For some reason I have never really liked Miller products, even though I don't think they are that drastically different than the other macros in content. (888 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -22.1%

I just tryed this beer the other day after much curiousity. I have been searching for a cheaper session beer. Cheaper than Budweiser and MGD, $11.99 for a 30-pk.

The beer looked typical of Miller as I poured it into a glass, smelled weird though. This beer also had a frothy taste which felt comfortable against the palate. Unruly aftertaste. If this beer starts to get warm, it is almost impossible to stomach. Warmth brings out many weird flavors. After two of these, they became challenging to take down. When cold, the first two go down pretty easy.

If you're looking for the bargain beer, go for Pabst Blue Ribbon instead. (634 characters)

Yes, Miller High Life. The champagne of beers. I'm about to open a bottle and find out if it's skunked... And it's not. What a relief.

Appearance - pours pale yellow into the unwashed pilsner glass I drank an Anchor Liberty from last night. Lively, bubbley carbonation. Pretty decent head.

Smell - Smells like corn and paper.

Taste - Corny and slightly metallic, with a decent bit of malt in there. Simple, crisp. No hop flavor to be found. Pleasant for an adjunt lager that came from a clear bottle.

Moutfeel - What moutfeel? Watery?

Drinkability - Sure. If yer in the mood for an adjunct lager, this beats everything else from BudMillerCoors. It's priced right too. This was 3.50 a sixer. This is what I buy when I'm in the mood for cheap macro and I can't find any PBR. This is a beer that at least has the decency to taste like a cheap beer instead of tasting like nothing. And it's not painful to drink, unlike other beers in its price category such as Beast Ice.

I'm sure I'll end up buying this halfassed swill again, not very often though - just when it's time for a laugh and a good 'ol macrobrew. (1,130 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow, this is my first 'can' review. I find it odd how I tend to stay away from cans when I can (hmm, no pun intended). This beer is one of the staples of parties it seems but it's really the first time I've encountered it. I had a hearty chuckle reading its slogan, 'The Champagne of Beers'. You know what it's good for? Beer pong. I would not drink this if I had a choice, but hey it has a taste.

Pours like piss, smells like macro beer. Tastes like alcohol and some malt, isn't too skunky which is good for chucking a few ounces here and there when you're losing beer pong. We almost won! Overall, this beer isn't that great :). (633 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -9.7%

The champagne of beers. I guess it's all relative. You do get what you pay for. A $4 6-pack ain't too bad. It tastes like malt-liquor but who can resist those sexy bottles. You've got to admire their arrogance in marketing. Words like "champagne" and "high life" aren't words I'd use to describe it. (299 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -21.4%

This is my uncle’s beer. As long as I can remember, the guy has always had a cooler or fridge full of Miller High Life. Oddly enough, It’s taken me years to actually get around and try it for myself. And really, it seems that if I weren’t a beer geek and didn’t mind the taste of beer, I probably would have been a Miller man myself. There’s an extremely boring, cereal-like flavor, no aroma and no bitterness. What makes this better than the much-hated-by-me Budweiser is that it lacks that nasty flavor in the back that Budweiser has. This just doesn’t have much of anything. (583 characters)

a-pale yellow with a white head
s-smells of corn, malt, and hops
t-weak hop and corn taste. tasted more watery than anything
m and d-mouthfeel felt very watered down but the drinkability was averege because of that

I'm not to impressed with it very little flavor at all. One i'd say avoid. (290 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Appearance is a pale yellow with a nice head that lasted for the first few sips with a lace that continued down the entire glass.

Smell is nice for a macro with rice some sweet malts and mild hops.

Taste, most macros don't taste like beer (sorry AB I know you're consistant, but tasty, you're not). This one actually has the taste of malt and hops, and it finishes dry and a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel is wonderfull very light and crisp, just the right amount of carbination.

Drinkability, what a great session beer, it is easy to drink and inexpensive. When I have less money, I purchase the HIGH LIFE.

Great beer for a macro. I like it better than any AB product.

This is a nice beer. Macros are in a class by themselves, they're not great but some can be good. This beer is one of the good ones. Better than any other macro I have tasted. (853 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass. It pours a light gold color with three fingers of head. There is a good amount of lacing on the glass. The smell isn't too strong, but there's a little bit of grassy and malty aromas. The taste is smooth and malty, not much of an adjuncty flavor. A touchy of grassy hops on the finish. The mouthfeel is a little light and watery, not too bad for a macro. The drinkability is darn good though. Really the king of macros. (455 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29%

The beer after is release from the 12-ounce clear bottle sets in the glass a transparent gold with a modest bright white heat that is creamy in texture and after its desiccation leaves a thin sheet of lace to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, sweet and clean with the start lightly malted and somewhat sweet, top cadaverous. Finish is mild in acidity, the hops meek and mild, dry aftertaste. (390 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +19%

I've been drinking Miller Low Life (as it's been affectionately referred to amongst my posse) for more than a decade, but never actually sat down and tried to, like, savor it. So here goes...

Appearance is a wee bit darker than the average macro, or perhaps a bit darker than the average wee. The three-quarter-inch head is sticking around just a little bit and leaving behind little driblets of lacing (if you'd call it that). After 8-10 minutes, bubbles are still plooping up from the bottom. Really though, it shouldn't take 8-10 minutes to drink one of these.

Smells like every other Miller/Bud/etc. brew. I wouldn't be able to tell 'em apart by smell, that's for sure. It's the scent of corn mixed with some artificial thing that I guess I'm not beer-savvy enough to identify.

As long as it's cuh-hold, it tastes more than fine. Thoroughly average, which is a compliment when talking about a beer like this. With macro brews, deviation from "average" usually seems to mean skunky or otherwise funky. (I'm looking at you, Rolling Rock).

At $5.99 for a 12 pack of bottles, the drinkability speaks for itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go grab another Champagne... (1,187 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +6.6%

This is Miller's highest rated beer and it deserves to be. While it doesn't hold a candle to most of the other beers I like to drink, it's not bad. Cool and refreshing with very little taste, the beer pours a light platinum with some head and lacing but the head is quick to retreat. Flavor of perhaps lemon, but little else. Not as much character as the best industrial lagers of Europe, and little hop or barley flavors, but a crisp clean taste with none of the off-flavors that creep into American macros - cooked veggies, stale or skunky hops, etc. To be drunk ice cold from the bottle, or out of a very small glass (not a pint glass) -- at very quick speeds. I like the bottle design - retro? The girl on the moon is a nice touch, and the shape of the bottle itself is satisfying to hold (I can't fathom why, it just is). I've bumped up the appearance score accordingly. One of the only US macros I plan to buy again, if only for the dubious reason that there's nothing offensively bad about it. I'll stay away from the big bottles though; any unneccesary exposure to air or room temperature won't do this fragile beer any favors. (1,135 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +2.4%

Head never went away on this beer. just an average beer overall, nothing wonderfull, but nothing dispicable. smooth with a distinct flavor, nothing special, more than bud light but not sam adams, or killians. i have no idia why but the taste isnt bad to me. (257 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +16.2%

Easily the best adjunct lager I've ever had. Thats right folks, this beer has a flavor! Sure, its not much of a flavor. But its certainly a flavor. Yeah, its your typical macro taste with a little something extra. The guys over at miller must have splurged on the rice when formulating this recipe. A welcome suprise for sure. When the can hit my lips I was expecting another tasteless beer, but I got flavor. Not much, but more than normal. (441 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +17.2%

the champage o' beers was in a clear bottle with a pull date of sept.13. pours a medium brilliant gold with a nice head that actually laid down some webs as i consumed it. smell is grainy with a hint of citrus and corn in the back. taste is better than i had remembered, pretty damn tasty and, sinfully easy to drink mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. session beer? hell yes. we went through cases of this swill over the weekend of my tenth class reunion. not a complaint to be heard in the house. (504 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I just saw some of the BA reviews and thought I needed to try High Life again. I haven't had it in 2 years, so I purchased a 24oz can and poured it in a pint glass and hoped to taste it in a different light other than "cheap chugging get drunk like Busch beer"

I have never preferred Miller HL to Busch, so that will tell you something about this review. At first, this beer spoke to me. "I'm the champagne or beers! You will respect me!" Sorry Miller. Not very good.

While taste and appearance were like any beer the flavor just said "Why are you drinking this? I know I'm cheap and all, but isn't there any better?" Almost tasted a slight bit skunky with very heavy corn flavors overtaking any other. Just a step below Busch in the drinkability category. I would always take this if it was cheaper than Busch, but I prefer the rice adjunct rather than the corn adjunct flavor.

Now that I'm in a place that has Genesee Red again and I've re-discovered how good a cold Pabst or how good a Ballantine could be...this cheap beer is off my list. (1,052 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -37.9%

Pale golden in color, with a decent head that doesn't hang around long. Smell of corn and grain, along with a hint of a metallic aroma. Metalic taste to it, as well. I was hoping this was from the fact that it was in a can, but I've seen the same taste noted on reviews from bottles. Corn appears in the taste, too, and a strong hop presence, without much flavor to really back it up. Crisp and fairly clean in the mouth, though. Not a horrible brew, but not on my list for frequent purchasing. (494 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Sure this ranks among the macros, but for my money, I cant say that it gets much better than the High Life. Its perfect for so many things, both because it actually has taste to it, and because it doesnt hijack your offshore bank account. Pours a light golden with a decent head which actually retains a layer of foam throughout the drink. THe smell is a mild sweet malt smell, with no hops really. The taste is light on the front, but the aftertaste is pleasantly wheaty and malty. The mouthfeel is a bit watery, but I cant say I mind that too much. This beer is the ultimate versitility. You can sip it and feel sophistocated one minute, and take it to the garage and have a nice round of cups the next minue, and not think twice about it. (741 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearence in the bottle is not bad to look at, although the clear glass probably isn't the best choice for a beer. However, it is nice to be able to see the color in my opinion. Pours a watery yellow. Fizzy soda pop like head that comes and goes in an instant. Has a slightly skunky smell to it, but not terrible. Taste was grainy and a little tangy, but i did enjoy it. A watery beer but a decent one that's easy to drink. Drinkability, availability, and price really do it for this one (488 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.