Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,074 | Hads: 3,380
2.47/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow, this is my first 'can' review. I find it odd how I tend to stay away from cans when I can (hmm, no pun intended). This beer is one of the staples of parties it seems but it's really the first time I've encountered it. I had a hearty chuckle reading its slogan, 'The Champagne of Beers'. You know what it's good for? Beer pong. I would not drink this if I had a choice, but hey it has a taste.

Pours like piss, smells like macro beer. Tastes like alcohol and some malt, isn't too skunky which is good for chucking a few ounces here and there when you're losing beer pong. We almost won! Overall, this beer isn't that great :). (633 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -9.7%

The champagne of beers. I guess it's all relative. You do get what you pay for. A $4 6-pack ain't too bad. It tastes like malt-liquor but who can resist those sexy bottles. You've got to admire their arrogance in marketing. Words like "champagne" and "high life" aren't words I'd use to describe it. (299 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -21.4%

This is my uncle’s beer. As long as I can remember, the guy has always had a cooler or fridge full of Miller High Life. Oddly enough, It’s taken me years to actually get around and try it for myself. And really, it seems that if I weren’t a beer geek and didn’t mind the taste of beer, I probably would have been a Miller man myself. There’s an extremely boring, cereal-like flavor, no aroma and no bitterness. What makes this better than the much-hated-by-me Budweiser is that it lacks that nasty flavor in the back that Budweiser has. This just doesn’t have much of anything. (583 characters)

a-pale yellow with a white head
s-smells of corn, malt, and hops
t-weak hop and corn taste. tasted more watery than anything
m and d-mouthfeel felt very watered down but the drinkability was averege because of that

I'm not to impressed with it very little flavor at all. One i'd say avoid. (290 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Appearance is a pale yellow with a nice head that lasted for the first few sips with a lace that continued down the entire glass.

Smell is nice for a macro with rice some sweet malts and mild hops.

Taste, most macros don't taste like beer (sorry AB I know you're consistant, but tasty, you're not). This one actually has the taste of malt and hops, and it finishes dry and a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel is wonderfull very light and crisp, just the right amount of carbination.

Drinkability, what a great session beer, it is easy to drink and inexpensive. When I have less money, I purchase the HIGH LIFE.

Great beer for a macro. I like it better than any AB product.

This is a nice beer. Macros are in a class by themselves, they're not great but some can be good. This beer is one of the good ones. Better than any other macro I have tasted. (853 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass. It pours a light gold color with three fingers of head. There is a good amount of lacing on the glass. The smell isn't too strong, but there's a little bit of grassy and malty aromas. The taste is smooth and malty, not much of an adjuncty flavor. A touchy of grassy hops on the finish. The mouthfeel is a little light and watery, not too bad for a macro. The drinkability is darn good though. Really the king of macros. (455 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29%

The beer after is release from the 12-ounce clear bottle sets in the glass a transparent gold with a modest bright white heat that is creamy in texture and after its desiccation leaves a thin sheet of lace to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, sweet and clean with the start lightly malted and somewhat sweet, top cadaverous. Finish is mild in acidity, the hops meek and mild, dry aftertaste. (390 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +19%

I've been drinking Miller Low Life (as it's been affectionately referred to amongst my posse) for more than a decade, but never actually sat down and tried to, like, savor it. So here goes...

Appearance is a wee bit darker than the average macro, or perhaps a bit darker than the average wee. The three-quarter-inch head is sticking around just a little bit and leaving behind little driblets of lacing (if you'd call it that). After 8-10 minutes, bubbles are still plooping up from the bottom. Really though, it shouldn't take 8-10 minutes to drink one of these.

Smells like every other Miller/Bud/etc. brew. I wouldn't be able to tell 'em apart by smell, that's for sure. It's the scent of corn mixed with some artificial thing that I guess I'm not beer-savvy enough to identify.

As long as it's cuh-hold, it tastes more than fine. Thoroughly average, which is a compliment when talking about a beer like this. With macro brews, deviation from "average" usually seems to mean skunky or otherwise funky. (I'm looking at you, Rolling Rock).

At $5.99 for a 12 pack of bottles, the drinkability speaks for itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go grab another Champagne... (1,187 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +6.6%

This is Miller's highest rated beer and it deserves to be. While it doesn't hold a candle to most of the other beers I like to drink, it's not bad. Cool and refreshing with very little taste, the beer pours a light platinum with some head and lacing but the head is quick to retreat. Flavor of perhaps lemon, but little else. Not as much character as the best industrial lagers of Europe, and little hop or barley flavors, but a crisp clean taste with none of the off-flavors that creep into American macros - cooked veggies, stale or skunky hops, etc. To be drunk ice cold from the bottle, or out of a very small glass (not a pint glass) -- at very quick speeds. I like the bottle design - retro? The girl on the moon is a nice touch, and the shape of the bottle itself is satisfying to hold (I can't fathom why, it just is). I've bumped up the appearance score accordingly. One of the only US macros I plan to buy again, if only for the dubious reason that there's nothing offensively bad about it. I'll stay away from the big bottles though; any unneccesary exposure to air or room temperature won't do this fragile beer any favors. (1,135 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +2.4%

Head never went away on this beer. just an average beer overall, nothing wonderfull, but nothing dispicable. smooth with a distinct flavor, nothing special, more than bud light but not sam adams, or killians. i have no idia why but the taste isnt bad to me. (257 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +16.2%

Easily the best adjunct lager I've ever had. Thats right folks, this beer has a flavor! Sure, its not much of a flavor. But its certainly a flavor. Yeah, its your typical macro taste with a little something extra. The guys over at miller must have splurged on the rice when formulating this recipe. A welcome suprise for sure. When the can hit my lips I was expecting another tasteless beer, but I got flavor. Not much, but more than normal. (441 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +17.2%

the champage o' beers was in a clear bottle with a pull date of sept.13. pours a medium brilliant gold with a nice head that actually laid down some webs as i consumed it. smell is grainy with a hint of citrus and corn in the back. taste is better than i had remembered, pretty damn tasty and, sinfully easy to drink mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. session beer? hell yes. we went through cases of this swill over the weekend of my tenth class reunion. not a complaint to be heard in the house. (504 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I just saw some of the BA reviews and thought I needed to try High Life again. I haven't had it in 2 years, so I purchased a 24oz can and poured it in a pint glass and hoped to taste it in a different light other than "cheap chugging get drunk like Busch beer"

I have never preferred Miller HL to Busch, so that will tell you something about this review. At first, this beer spoke to me. "I'm the champagne or beers! You will respect me!" Sorry Miller. Not very good.

While taste and appearance were like any beer the flavor just said "Why are you drinking this? I know I'm cheap and all, but isn't there any better?" Almost tasted a slight bit skunky with very heavy corn flavors overtaking any other. Just a step below Busch in the drinkability category. I would always take this if it was cheaper than Busch, but I prefer the rice adjunct rather than the corn adjunct flavor.

Now that I'm in a place that has Genesee Red again and I've re-discovered how good a cold Pabst or how good a Ballantine could be...this cheap beer is off my list. (1,052 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -37.9%

Pale golden in color, with a decent head that doesn't hang around long. Smell of corn and grain, along with a hint of a metallic aroma. Metalic taste to it, as well. I was hoping this was from the fact that it was in a can, but I've seen the same taste noted on reviews from bottles. Corn appears in the taste, too, and a strong hop presence, without much flavor to really back it up. Crisp and fairly clean in the mouth, though. Not a horrible brew, but not on my list for frequent purchasing. (494 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Sure this ranks among the macros, but for my money, I cant say that it gets much better than the High Life. Its perfect for so many things, both because it actually has taste to it, and because it doesnt hijack your offshore bank account. Pours a light golden with a decent head which actually retains a layer of foam throughout the drink. THe smell is a mild sweet malt smell, with no hops really. The taste is light on the front, but the aftertaste is pleasantly wheaty and malty. The mouthfeel is a bit watery, but I cant say I mind that too much. This beer is the ultimate versitility. You can sip it and feel sophistocated one minute, and take it to the garage and have a nice round of cups the next minue, and not think twice about it. (741 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearence in the bottle is not bad to look at, although the clear glass probably isn't the best choice for a beer. However, it is nice to be able to see the color in my opinion. Pours a watery yellow. Fizzy soda pop like head that comes and goes in an instant. Has a slightly skunky smell to it, but not terrible. Taste was grainy and a little tangy, but i did enjoy it. A watery beer but a decent one that's easy to drink. Drinkability, availability, and price really do it for this one (488 characters)

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Typical clear straw-yellow shade. Tons of tiny bubbles stream to the surface to create a respectable soapy white head. The head has a little perseverance but not a lot. I guess it does sort of look like champagne, but I know from experience that is where all similarities end.

Smell is dry and tart, yet sweet, mushy and corny at the same time. The smells of corn assault my nostrils almost as soon as I open it.

Taste corresponds with the aroma, although maybe a tiny bit less corny. The tiniest bit of astringency is evident in the front, which washes into a mushy corn flavor. It finishes out dry and tart with a tiny tinge of a flat hop bitterness. Surprisingly it seems like I almost pick up on a hint of wheat flavor.

A serviceable macro lager that had its place in my fridge a fair share in the past, not bad for a filler I guess. At least they use mutant radioactively treated hops or whatever so it doesn’t skunk in the clear bottle. (1,007 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +6.2%

I was a little surpised by this beer. Wasn't all too bad I have to admit. Poured out a pale yellow with a somewhat decent head on it. Smell was a little too clean, just some grainy aromas in there, not much to talk about. Taste was somewhat respectable though. A little bit of hops show up along with some sweetness and bitterness, but there's just a little too much sweetness to my liking. Considering it's made by one of the big three, and that there's some actual beer elements (hopefully) in there, it's somewhat average compared to other beers. Having a BBQ soon and don't have that much cash? This is the way to go then. (626 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +2.8%

I can tell my father I'm taking care of the beer for family gatherings, but his kind but cheap ass has to drag this stuff around. Ah, well, "The Champagne of Beers", pouring from that golden can with the cute cowgirl hanging on the front. Its a typical golden color with lots of fizzy fizz, altogether unimpressive, but often better than Bud-water. I like it better in the bottles.

For smell and flavor its all about the sweet and easy grains - I guess there's some malt in there, but I'd put money on rice and corn being the majority of the grist. Remarkably chewy for an industrial lager and typically not as skunked or with twisted-ass hops destroying a nice watery-beer experience.

For what it is, it is the best of the macro lagers. Though its quite disrespectful to more artisanal beers, the "Champagne" is motto is right, if not funny, relatively speaking. Not just because of my Old Man, this is quite the Old Man beer - and it actually is good beer, too. (970 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -12.8%

Miller High Life is definently better than I remember most of the other Miller brands being (It beats Miller Lite any day). Still, High Life is only a slightly better than average micro. It is the type of beer than is sweet for its price range and good in a cold mug on a hot day, but its not a beer I'll be clamoring for again. I would recommend this beer for friends as a means of taking baby steps away from Coors and Miller Lite or as a cheap session beer. (460 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a pale straw color with minimal head and a fair amount of carbonation. Aroma is sort of sour corn grist. It pretty much tastes the same. It has a roasted corn flavor that finishes sour. MGD is a bit better. Seems like there is a bit less corn and not as sour and gristy. (276 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Still pours the standard light yellow with minimul head, suprisingly the smell a little more funky out of the bottle, smell hints of earth tones with a strong smell of grain and grilled corn. Taste is a bit bitter, hops and a strong sour grain taste. Cool and refreshing but suprisingly didn't like as much as canned. (317 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +42.4%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer. (521 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +4.8%

This lager is not bad for what it is...an inexpensive beer. This beer tastes better out of a cold long-necked bottle after mowing the lawn, rather than when poured into a pint glass to be savoured. The beer is light-clear-golden. When poured there is a moderate head for a short period. The smell is odd-is that corn? Taste is not at all remarkable, other than some what corny. This lager is ok for a cheap refreshment straight out of the bottle when working in the yard. But is not something I would buy to sit back and enjoy. I recommend par-boiling ribs in this stuff. (571 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grainy and phenolic notes that are, believe it or not, reminiscent of some Belgian tripels. Though clean and filtered down to nothing, the nose is enticing with yeast -- a true riddle since it has none left in it and the original yeast should be a bland lager strain. This has a lot of character -- not just for macro lagers, but for beer in general.

Relax, relax.
ng (371 characters)

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.