1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 926-950 | 951-975 | 976-1000  | next › last »
Ratings: 2,478 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
garymuchow

3.58/5  rDev +33.6%

I've always had a fondness for this beer more than the other macro-brews. History plays the part in that my father liked it, it was the first brewery I saw and it's a great session beer of my youth. There is a smoothness about it that I like and makes it easy to drink when I'm hot and thirsty. Adjuncts can be detected, but aren't overpowering (as long as it is comsumed cold). As with others, for the style it is, it is a fine example.

08-08-2002 14:51:36 | More by garymuchow
bditty187

Nebraska

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Ultra pale golden hue, translucent with decent animation, the white head was smallish and it faded rather quickly, soapy residue, some lace that doesn’t cling long. The nose is distinctive “High Life,” sweet & sulfur with graininess under neither, not inviting (or repulsive). Decent palate (for an American Lager), grainy, somewhat sweet (far from cloying or disgusting)… the finish is fizzy, slight fruity-maltiness too. Indeed the malt influence is thin but so is the adjuncts… hops bitterness is nonexistence, hints of very faint herbalness/spice. Medium-light body, thin but not watery, modest carbonation… lacks a crisp finish. Refreshing enough… I still like Leinenkugel’s Northwoods Lager better. Miller High Life is something I’d drink again… under the right circumstances… better than PBR.

This beer does give you an awful aftertaste if you drink more than a couple; you really need to invest in some breath mints.

Note: On-tap the taste is similar but the head retention and size is much better…

07-29-2002 18:27:06 | More by bditty187
Lupe

3.55/5  rDev +32.5%

Easy to drink, crisp and refreshing. Perfect on a hot summers day. Not complex in anyway but it accomplishes what it set out to do. An excellent cheap beer.

07-25-2002 08:12:55 | More by Lupe
goindownsouth

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well, an American staple to say the least. I know a man who can drink these from 7am on a Clemson football game day and not stop clear through 9 or 10pm. Whatever that tells you... Nevertheless, not terrible. Prost!

07-08-2002 15:16:17 | More by goindownsouth
psugrad98

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

Light golden with moderate head, and moderate carbonation. Light smell of malt and cooked veggies. Taste is somewhat spritzy with nice rich hop bitterness. Malt gives a good supporting performance. Very smooth and highly drinkable. An awesome beer when you are livin the high life.

06-18-2002 07:27:40 | More by psugrad98
ThreePistols

3.13/5  rDev +16.8%

Light golden color with a decent head. Grainy, floral nose. Slighty sweet, lemon, floral, grainy taste. Clean, crisp and refreshing.

I was at a friends B'day party and they were serving Dos Equis, Budweiser, Michelob, Bud Lite and Miller. I opt'ed for Miller. It was better than I had expected. I drank them all night long until the party was over and I experienced no unpleasant effects that night or the day after. I also noticed that the other beer drinkers were also going for the Miller first.

This is not one of the beers that I normally buy, however, after my experience at the party with the Miller beer, I wouldn't feel bad buying this cheap beer when entertaining a large group. Of course there would still be the "better" beer available in limited quanity, of course.

06-18-2002 05:41:19 | More by ThreePistols
frank4sail

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Slight sweet nose and very pale yellow look. Very clean and carbonated. Smooth and malty on the mouth. Of course no hops to speak of, but I am surprised of how good the brew tasted. It was reccomended on the forum and rightly so for a cheap macro swill brand. This is still slightly below average for my definition of "beer". But would be great for fishin'... and tail-gateing. Choose it before those other more pricey macros...

06-14-2002 08:44:34 | More by frank4sail
mickeymac

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

I've got to come clean. This is my favorite American macro. It doesn't have any patently offensive odor or flavor. In fact, it actually has a bit of real beer taste. It goes down like water, like an American "Premium" Lager should. And that lady in the red dress sitting on the crescent moon looks kind of cool.

05-21-2002 21:34:30 | More by mickeymac
jackndan

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

High Life: I’ve said it here before; High Life in those tapered bottles can be about the easiest drinking beer around. Today, I’ve had it in a can, and when it’s cold, it gives PBR a solid run for its money. A macro-beer without the adjunct after burn (unlike its brother MGD), well worth the two bucks at the train barn.

05-10-2002 20:30:18 | More by jackndan
bmills1608

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

I bit light, refreshingly clean , with a lot of corn-like sweetness. Pretty tasty when nice and cold straight out of the fridge.

I still prefer MGD to this though, I think it has a bit more going for it.

High Life is an American icon.

05-09-2002 10:44:51 | More by bmills1608
Pegasus

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Medium gold in color with a prominent soap lather white head that fades fairly quickly, decent broken lace.

Aroma: Slightly spicy, herbal aroma with a mild metallic quality.

Taste: Flavor opens with a hint of light malt sweetness, this soon turns slightly tart. Metallic hop bitterness dominates the latter part of the taste and lingers on well past the dry finish.

Mouth feel: Abundant carbonation adds a slight sting, otherwise a decently full body.

Drinkability/notes: Perhaps the best of the cheap nationals and far better than Natural Light. This was the first beer I ever tried and was my Dad's favorite.

05-01-2002 20:42:31 | More by Pegasus
cokes

Wisconsin

2.95/5  rDev +10.1%

Well what can I say....I actually drank this stuff this evening. What is even more scary is that I didn't find it that bad.
To be honest, I have probably drank more of this in my life than any other single beer. The underage years were awash in this stuff. So, I guess there is some nostalgia here.

For a macro, it actually has some flavor. Herbal hops with a thin malt body....but at least there is SOME body. Oh yeah...plenty of adjuncts too.

It doesn't have to much going for, but it also doesn't have too much going against it...for beers of this sort, that is a huge plus.
I spent too much time discussing this beer. A pretty acceptable macro, and that's it.

04-16-2002 22:28:26 | More by cokes
WilliamPhilaPa

3.35/5  rDev +25%

Miller Low Life as I call it, but then again it was very crisp, clean finish and consistently is. So for that, combined w/ the low life price it's actually not that bad. Very freshing, and that makes for the perfect beer to buy for your friends at the BBQ party in the summer...as long as your friends are not fellow beer advocates...

03-19-2002 14:20:28 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
budgood1

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

first of all it pours the best head of any american mass produced lager and it sticks the whole way down...it has body, character and aroma. an aquired taste...but those older and wiser than I have converted me to the High Life. i'm hooked. $13 a 30pack here in the northland makes it the absolute biggest bang for your beer buck too. an iced tea characteristic makes it oh-so poundable in the summer time too. some people hate it, others love it. decide for yourself.

01-14-2002 00:45:32 | More by budgood1
ZAP

3.8/5  rDev +41.8%

I tell you what..for a macro brewed lager this is a pretty tasty beer...it really is...in fact out of a can I like it better than MGD (which is another pretty good macro lager)..I've always favored malty sweet beers (I love Bocks, dopples, and Octoberfests)...and for a basic American lager this is pretty good..it's priced right too....if you put a gun to my head and said spend $12 on a case of beer this would be my call...(remember the price restrictions..I picked up a case of this...and a case of 4 different micro six packs...The Miller came to $11...the grand total to close to $50...you can do the math there..)

12-23-2001 22:20:46 | More by ZAP
jonnylieberman

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%

I feel that I was perhaps swayed by their amazingly wonderful High Life adds, but I find myself more often than not grabbing a 12 pack O'High Life for $5.99. Better than most of its competition, meaning that it actually tastes good. Goes surprisingly well with Chinese food. Go figure. Anyway, It is an easy to drink fun beer that can be your dirty little secret. After all, it is the Champagne of beers, right?

11-27-2001 14:04:26 | More by jonnylieberman
Jordan

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

Horse piss in a bottle. But it's cheap! Reminds me of boxed cereal, on the nose. Grain/wheat flavors on the palate, however below-average to poor in this department. I'm astonished that some people feel this is a quality beer! Would much rather sit back with a quality hefeweizen, even if it's three times as expensive.

11-18-2001 08:27:25 | More by Jordan
xXTequila

3.45/5  rDev +28.7%

Latley this is the beer that I have been stocking my beer fridge with.
This is way better than the top advertised American beers and much more affordable.
This is what I drink to fill in the spaces between my home breweed beer.
At 13.49 a 30 pack it's a great beer to fill the fridge with.

10-03-2001 13:16:19 | More by xXTequila
Brent

Kentucky

2.7/5  rDev +0.7%

Always strikes me as sweet and grainy. At least they aren't afraid to make a beer that tastes like beer.

07-31-2001 09:30:40 | More by Brent
grdahl

1.95/5  rDev -27.2%

Miller Low Life..The Champangne of Beers?? The French
should be outraged

06-22-2001 23:04:35 | More by grdahl
« first ‹ prev | 926-950 | 951-975 | 976-1000  | next › last »
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.