2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,480 | Reviews: 996 | Show All Ratings:
Arinthos

3.9/5  rDev +45.5%

Well I'm very suprised I have been a long time craft beer drinker and have avoided all products by the big three Budweisser, Coors, and Miller.

I have to admit I was hesitant to drink this when a friend gave it to me but the first think that jumped to mind was I can reviuew it so lets give it a go.

A- clear golden yellow with a large head that faded to little more than a wisp.

S- not very hoppy at allI would guess this is probably mostly a grainy ( rice) beer not much malt either kinda watery but not overly. Honestly hard to put a finger on it but not as offensive as I would have thought a Miller product to be.

M- Very smooth light carbonation extremely drinkable and refreshing I could see this on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn type of beer.

T- sweet , grainy ( rice )maybe, slightly fruity.

D- Best part of this beer very refreshing I could drink this all day no prob.

very suprising I would go to this any day before a bud or coors I have to be honest I am pleasently suprised.

01-27-2011 23:10:58 | More by Arinthos
carach

British Columbia (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +45.5%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.

03-27-2011 01:17:40 | More by carach
Luigi

3.93/5  rDev +46.6%

I only base my reviews based on the style of the beer.

Appearance is amazing for the style. Pours a three finger head that sticks to the side of the glass to the end. So the retention is great! Golden clear color with some carbonation bubbling up.

Sweet malt, some cooked grains, and a touch of grassy hops hit the nose. Nothing offensive.

The taste is classic American lager. Nothing over done just a good balance of clean grassy hops with a touch of bitterness. Some hits of cereal grains, sweet malts and clean finish.

I will put this lager up with my other favorite macro lagers in American (Pabst and Schlitz. Clean, easy drinking lager that is perfect for hotter weather. Yes, nothing in this beer is over done. But, that is why many like it. Just clean easy drinking with no nasty after taste just good balance for the style.

09-28-2011 03:37:55 | More by Luigi
netrioter

3.93/5  rDev +46.6%

easily one of the best "old school" beers on the market...easily a top shelf lager...PBR is the only better old school beer,but thats been ruined by hipsters and prices have doubled or almost tripled in some areas

great with food...almost any kind of food.

perfect carbonation and good flavor....the best beer in the Miller stable

if youre a lager fan...this is an excellent choice...if youre an elitist...you probably wont like it

08-04-2012 22:05:50 | More by netrioter
foles75

3.95/5  rDev +47.4%

For what it is,, a cheap macro is tastes pretty good. I will have to say that I think you have to have a taste for the ol' high life.. It does have a wicked corn smell. Its cheap just like PBR and actually has a taste. With my beer budget on the fritz right now, High Life is filling the void just fine. I have made this my go-to cheap beer in my fridge due to the fact that PBR isn't in every supermarket here in south florida and funny,,, its 50 cents cheaper a 12-pack than PBR.. After a long session on a friday night, no hangover like I get from AB products..
Cheers! Have a High Life

12-30-2009 00:19:45 | More by foles75
Haybeerman

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev +47.4%

A: Bright, clear straw color. Poured a 1 finger fizzy white head that dissipated quickly to an skim around the inside edge of the glass. Decanted continually. Laced the glass surprisingly well.

S: Grassy noble hops and green apples. Very little malt character, but a hint of buttery corn.

T: Light bisuity malt character and wet cereal. A hint of green apples ahead of long light bitter.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crisp, light and dry.

D: One of those beers that nails the style guidelines but gets a regular beat-down by beer advocates that grace these pages.

06-23-2010 15:49:52 | More by Haybeerman
sarahbs

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

this is the BEST beer for casual drinking. forget amstel, this is the beer drinkers light beer. it must be consumed in bottles for one to fully aprichiate the goodness of the high life. I strongly encorage real beer drinkers to give high life a chance. it might not look classy, but it drinks like champange

04-30-2006 22:54:05 | More by sarahbs
baos

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

Drinking as i type this.

12 oz can onto Atlas Mason jar.

A: Golden with a nice four finger head. As head dissipates there is nice lacing up and down the glass. Head retention is not to bad for this type of beer as well.

S: I usually can smell only can but this must be a fresh batch. I get an odor of moldering apples, fresh grains, light malt, and tiniest ghost of a hop. The quintessential smell of beer.

T: Sometimes its too sweet for me, but its not too bad today. Tastes like childhood. Tastes like it smells with a metallic aftertaste, its a bit much out of the can, but I get the same effect from the bottle.

D: I could drink this beer all the day through. This beer keeps getting better until its too late, but I guess this is true with all alcohol and the hedonists that consume it. This was my Dad's beer of choice and the beer he weened me on. I always think of him when I have one, so to me this beer is fucking one of the best.

12-24-2007 03:01:57 | More by baos
SargeC

Japan

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

Appearance: Classic packaging. Clear gold brew with a decent white head that provides excellent lacing in the glass.

Smell: Minor malt character, a hint of hops.

Taste: Clean malt flavor with a touch of hops. Good example of the classic American brew.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Smooth character.

Drinkablity: I have lived on this brew for decades. A sold brew for when you just want to have a cheap and unpretentious beer.

04-12-2008 22:33:28 | More by SargeC
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +48.5%

A: Pours a watery looking, very light stream of beer to form a voluminous (but not overly huge) bright white head on top of a very pale yellow beer. There is some, but not too much active carbonation. The head is very billowy, with bubbles of all sizes. The beer is perfectly clear, probably clearer than my tap water. 4.5/5

S: What smell there is is vaguely fruity with a little bit of grain. No hops. It's pretty clean, but this fruitiness bothers me. It's almost like water melon or cherries. This is really too much for an adjunct lager. I never thought I'd mark down a beer for being too good smelling. 3.5

T: The fruitiness is pretty much gone, well within an understandable range. There's still no hops, just a slight graininess, really not much for flavor at all. It's just what it should be I suppose, but I think they could get away with a little more packed in here. 4/5

M: Well, it's watery. As it should be. The carbonation and minimal hopping (being as there's minimal everything) lend it just a bit of sharp bitterness, but I don't know what I could tell much difference between the feel of this and some tonic water. 4.5/5

D: This is a highly drinkable beer. Both clean and mildly flavored, not much is going to stop you from putting a few of these down if that's what you want to do. There could be some better flavors to lure you in, and there are cleaner, less floral Adjunct Lagers out there, but High Life does a pretty good job. 4/5

12-01-2010 14:23:09 | More by mdwalsh
cvstrickland

12 oz clear bottle of straw amber liquid assertively poured into a tulip (usually poured festively into my mouth) produces a huge creamy head of nearly three fingers with excellent retention that leaves some lacing. Looks like beer.

Smell is lightly grainy, but the grain is corn.. which I blasphemously like. Smells like beer.

Crisp, clean, nice and grainy with a light malt sweetness; a refreshing soda pop of a brew. Tastes like beer, definitely.

Drinkable as all get out...just not with your beer snob friends...or your macro snob friends. No idea why this beer gets treated so second-classily by the sheeple drinking macro pisswater Bud Light, etc. It ain't awful, it tastes good and goes down easy. I like it. So there.

04-09-2008 22:42:50 | More by cvstrickland
Bockrules

New Mexico

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass - reviewed as a cheap macro

A - Pours a clear gold with many bubbles streaming to the top. Nice fluffy two finger head with good retention that stayed intact all the way down the glass - remarkable for a macro. Left behind beautiful lacing!!!
I'm speechless!!!

S - A weak sweet malty smell - needs to be stronger

T - Sweet up front. The body is void of any real flavor other than a mild sweetness riding on a hardly perceptible malt background. Finnish is dry and champagney with a tiny bit of bitterness. Not a lot here, but not many offensive adjuncts either.. Much better than many of the other macros on the market

M - Thin as water and highly carbonated - refreshing, but could stand to be thicker. The carbonation suits the beer well though.

D - This beer really does have some champaign characteristics to it which make it highly drinkable. Yeah, it's not a complex macro, but this a delicious and cheap beer to have at a BBQ, on a hot day after wrenching on cars, with mexican food or even to enjoy by itself when looking for something simple. This beer also has a tremendous amount of sedimental value to me - my great grandpa used to drink one a day until he died at 98. Every time I drink one, I think of him and feel pride. High life will always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge.

09-08-2008 06:49:51 | More by Bockrules
steeldoc36

Miller Highlife always seems to find its way into my fridge. I do love all types and styles of beer, craft and mass produced. Highlife is a beer I go for time and time again on common days. It is very easy drinking. I must say I agree with what I remember an Uncle saying long ago when I was just a young college student. He said "Miller Highlife is probably the most beautiful looking beers of its type." I still agree, I catch myself gazing at it's golden color and slow moving little bubbles dancing around while I sip it in the Florida sunlight. This beer has a nice crisp start and a soft light alcohol finish. I also taste hints of sweet bread flavors. It also has a better lace on the glass than most of it's competitors. This is a favorite of mine while out fishing or working in the yard.

03-31-2011 02:01:19 | More by steeldoc36
JoLight

Georgia

Appearance - Same as out of the can: gold, clear, carbonated, and a stark-white head that leaves some lacing in the bottle. (I'm reviewing it from the bottle, because the bottle is clear.)

Aroma - Smells sweet, grainy, creamed-corn, a little bready. It smells like High Life from a can, but a little more subdued.

Taste - Some slight bitterness, grainy, a little sweet corn adjunct, and some white bread.

Finish - dry, crisp, refreshing, smooth.

Overall - A solid go-to beer.

For whatever reason, Miller High Life out of the bottle seems, by my judgment, much less flavorful and more subdued than when I drink from, or out of, a can. It's still a good beer, but I think I'd prefer it from the can, which is opposite from my usual preference for other beers.

05-29-2012 20:33:21 | More by JoLight
uncggop06

4.03/5  rDev +50.4%

This is for a taste test between Miller High Life and MGD (as per forum posts this same day). Beer poured from 24oz big can into large Okocim glass (0.5L, this glass is awesome by the way). Head formation was brilliant for a macro lager and sticks to the glass in large chunks. Puffy cloudy head remains after a few sips, this thing won't go away, reminds me of a slightly lesser head from a tripel. Beer a very pale gold with TONS of bubbles, it's so nice. The smell is not great, but the taste makes up for it. Very smooth and crisp, almost like biting into an apple. It is fairly sweet, but very refreshing. This definitely goes with everybody's idea of a great summer beer.

04-24-2007 03:07:40 | More by uncggop06
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +50.4%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

04-12-2013 07:08:46 | More by CharlyNovember
Mumsbrew

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Haven't had one of these in a long, long time. I'm a stout man myself. Decided to pick up a 6 pack of bottles today and try one out. I've been thinking of brewing a batch of either an American ale or American lager. This is what i'd be going for.
Appearance - Beautiful. Just what you'd want in a golden clear lager. Really nice head and lacing.
Smell - Corn and grains. Not enough hops. Needs more aroma hops.
Taste - Could do with a little hops here too, same corn and grain.
Mouthfeel - Light and crisp. Just how it should be.
Drinkability - I'm on my 2nd in this tasteing and I'll be drinking the other 4 this evening. I grew up in the corn country of Ill. and had many of these growing up. Even been to the brewery when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes. So I'm a little partial to this beer. Loved it then and love it now. Will always be my stand by.

03-14-2009 20:32:52 | More by Mumsbrew
palma

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In my opinion this is one of the best macro American lagers out there. I love this beer. If I'm not drinking craft, I'm drinking this.

Piss yellow clear body. Fizzy, semi-frothy, white, short lasting head, but a very lasting and stickly lace. Much better head compared to other macros.

Aroma is sweet corn, hay, very light malt. Minor vegital. Almost no hop aroma. But clean. No skunk, no off aroma - very smellable for a macro.

Taste is typical macro with a little more malty breadiness and a noticeable semi-dryness. Very nice if you are in the mood for a non-craft beer that is easy drinking but still has at least a smidge of complexity in the malt profile.

08-06-2012 17:38:14 | More by palma
wiseguywood

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one.

04-06-2013 19:38:03 | More by wiseguywood
beerphan

4.08/5  rDev +52.2%

12oz bottle -> american pint
no date, but there is laser printed code

Pours a clear straw yellow with a generous head that leaves behind thin patches of pale white lace. The head surprisingly has some staying power and laces better than any macro i've come across. Carbonation is robust, truely champagne like.

Nose: Pale malt, a little sour yeast.

Taste: Slight toasted grain corn like flavor, that finishes relatively clean with a tad of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium to slightly watery but with a quick crisp finish.

The most drinkable american macro imo. Used to down these like water at the bowling alley in my personal prohibition time. Cheap and available everywhere. A 4.5 for taste compared to beers of this style not compared to your favorite big beer.

02-17-2007 19:28:17 | More by beerphan
drunkboxer1

4.08/5  rDev +52.2%

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. My grandfather used to drink this beer while mowing the lawn in the summer. He did it based solely on how refreshing it looked. He's right and thats why I'm scoring it so high on appearance. It smells like corn, but not too strong in my opinion. You shouldn't be smelling this beer anyway. Beer is for drinking, you ass. It tastes crisp, and fairly clean. Not of a lot of corny sliminess that happens in these cheap American lagers. Mouthfeel is on target of the style (light) and the drinkability is awesome. This beer is designed to be drank in a session.

04-25-2009 23:48:16 | More by drunkboxer1
JesseP09

4.1/5  rDev +53%

What a delicious beer. Personally I would rank it as the third best BMC product. Rich golden color and sweet smell and a bubbly pour. The beer feels great in your mouth, but more importantly tastes amazing. Just a great all-around beer with a price tag that is begging you to buy it.

03-05-2009 15:45:32 | More by JesseP09
RBorsato

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

Straw color with a full white head and very active carbonation. Balanced grain, fruity, corn aroma and flavor. Light-medium bodied, refreshing and smooth without a lot of cooked-corn character.

I prefer the bottled version over the cans ... seemed to have much better carbonation and liveliness. Very nice American macro -- one of the best actually and one of my favorites.

Per MIller website: 4.7% ABV, 143 cal., & 13.1g Carb

'08155' lasered on bottle
Tasted: 05/25/05

06-02-2005 21:23:34 | More by RBorsato
Rddymk

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

I am convinced that my Dad and Uncles were right about this beer. Unlike Pop's favorite, Hamm's, High Life ranks right up there with good, clean drinkable beer. It is a fine example of taste, price, look, mouthfeel and it has no lingering effects of YUCK afterwords. For the price, drink the crap out of this.

02-05-2009 20:57:50 | More by Rddymk
putnam

4.15/5  rDev +54.9%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer.

05-23-2004 00:36:19 | More by putnam
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.