Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 3,424

i love miller high life no matter how many other beers i drink high life has remained my go to no bullshit after work beer some people think price makes a beer better well from what i see the lighter the calories in the beer ,the lower the alcohol content the more fuckin money they want for it and the more i have to drink to get a buzz high life you drink two or three and the party is started

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From a bottle
This lager is not too sweet, as some critics say it is, the corn sweetness is not too bad and it's well balanced with the rest of the ingredients. Forget about the stupid beer logo and slogan "the champaign of beer" I wish MBC would get rid of that slogan already. This is just a good tasting AAL and very low priced.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Has craft brewing ruined the party? Check out the legendary "Bros" rating. 80. Yup 80. Why? How could they? Is it because Miller High Life is, was, and always will be the best party beer on the market? You can bet your only can of "Heady Topper" it is. Try drinking 12 cans of Heady Topper. I guarantee you will puke. Not so with High Life. Light, crisp, slight hop taste with a wet finish. Easily put away 12 of these babies with no sickness or bloated feeling. No headache. High Life deserves more credit. It taught us all how to drink beers.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

I have always liked Miller High Life. It is pretty refreshing and crisp but not completely tasteless. It is nothing special but pretty good for an adjunct lager.

4.05/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

High Life is for the everday drinker who enjoys a clean, crisp, quantity - emphasized taste. A man drinks High Life to escape. A man drinks High Life because he's content. A man drink's High Life because he's a dreamer. A man drinks High Life because he's not quite sure of who he is. A man drinks High Life because he knows exactly who he is. Men drink High Life for many reasons, but the take away is that men drink High Life. So keep on moving, keep on drinking, and keep on living the high life.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: pale straw yellow, not necessarily appetizing but it's appropriate for the style.
Smell: Faint hay and grassy smell.
Taste: Corn, hay, grass, husk.
Feel: Fizzy, smooth. Makes you want to take another sip.
Overall: It would not be hard to drink a 6 pack of these. One of my preferred AALs and one of the best quality beers for the price.

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

Has maybe the best head and lacing of an American Lager I've tasted. A quality beer especially considering the value price point. Not fancy but solid.

1.06/5  rDev -62.3%

This honestly has to be one of da nastyes beer I ever tasted,
It smells like metal , dead skunk with a chemical taste to it... man color like piss....flat taste like water, no wonder its so cheap

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A golden oldie. Grew up in the 70's and every other beer is compared to it. Nothing special or pretentious about but takes you back like you are meeting an old friend. Would say probably the best value beer or the one I want on a hot summer day.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

I have enjoyed this for too long, as in it was frequently stolen from my dad. I think that it is very refreshing, has a cool look to the bottle and is carbonated well enough so it doesn't seem to go skunky and flat as many others in it's class do. I have outgrown it, but will take one without hesitating if you hand it to me, unless there are roofiies in it or LSD or urine. Anything else is cool..

3.42/5  rDev +21.7%

The look and feel scores apply to the bottled. I always pour my beer into a glass but for Miller High Life I drink straight from the bottle and it's the only exception I make. Tastes the same now as it did when I was a kid. Retro look. Retro feel. So-so taste but on hot summer days this is a five straight across the board.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Good beer to have a couple, but more than that usually leaves me much more bloated than with other beers. Must be all the carbonation, definitely the Champagne of Beers.

1.48/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

The mouthfeel is the best part about this beer - because when it's cold, you can practically drink it without noticing...

Problem is, it is watery, and swill-y, and has a metallic taste to it. Also some dirty corn/ grain flavors.

3.32/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: review #900

Consumed 1/20/15

A: Pours absolutely crystal clear, as any self-respecting American adjunct lager should be - pale gold - moderate, but not high carbonation yields a big, fizzy, white head, fades to a nearly solid cap, and actually leaves lacing

S: Cooked grains, cereal, hints of corn, and some sweetness - not much to report here, not surprisingly, basically smells like lightly sweet water with a touch of corn - not exactly the highlight of this beer

T: Mild, with minimal flavor, but what's here is not bad - lightly grainy, with some cereal, some faint hints of white bread - vegetal, sweet corn, and some light sweetness - almost could pass for a light lager, almost could pass for sweetened water - appropriate for the style, and actually less offensive than many others

M: Light body, with some prickly, crisp carbonation - perhaps one of the most memorable things about this beer, the odd dry/bubbly mouthfeel that makes you need, not want, to drink multiple in one sitting

O: Champagne for the classiest of gatherings

I drank a lot of this back in 2007. Because I just turned 21. And college. And it cost about five cents for a 30-rack. It's not my favorite dirt-cheap lager any more, but it still holds a place in my heart. It tastes like sweet corn and nostalgia.

3.17/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is the best beer in its class in my opinion. For the price this beer punches above its weight. It's not great, but it's a solid beer that I'd drink over several other more popular macro beers.

4.7/5  rDev +67.3%

I love this beer. I'll never understand the negative stigma this beer gets or how Miller Lite (which is LESS of a beer) COSTS MORE?!

The carbonation is the real gimmick of this beer, which just makes it extra easy to chug. When this beer is ice cold there are few better. Very pleasing to the palette, but its GOTTA BE BOTTLED! When you have it canned, you miss a little of the effervescence. This is right up there with Grain Belt Nordeast as the best AAL. Nothing that will blow you away but you could have 20 of these at a cookout and not feel full. I'm craving one right now.

1.32/5  rDev -53%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Look is typical of American adjacent lagers. Smell is if metallic copper and iron with hits of stale grain. Taste is even worse at first you get dank grains then taken by overpowered metallic funk. This stuff tastes like a result of a bar fight, just metallic blood and left over beer. Feel is very much like champagne like the name suggests. Overall is terrible. I would have to be very sloshed to drink this and not want to punch a stranger from the funky twang it leaves in your mouth.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

Of course this doesn't stand with expensive craft beers. It's a mass-produced American beer. But it is not offensive, and it goes down easy, and it tastes like being young.

Obviously you don't want to buy this if your looking for a beer drinking experience, but for an inexpensive brew that is a known quantity, you can do worse.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

For the price, this is a solid beer. A little over-carbonated and skunky, but what you are paying for is what you get in this instance. It is really not a bad deal.

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Middle of the road for AAL. Head dissipated to an ugly river foam like quality, while the Pabst I had poured next to it retained a creamy dense head. I also chose Pabst 3 for 3 blind taste testing the two. High Life was not bad, just not great.

Ok, so it looks like piss. Well, that makes it correct for the style. It smells like rotting hay and chemicals. Again, correct for the style. I'm not sure I can detect much taste. It's good on a hot day. It is a watery swill that glides down my binge drinking throat. I love this beer. It is like your first girlfriend that you fingered under the bleachers at a school PEP fest. Yeah, she looks pretty bad by today's standards, but I prefer to fondly remember faint memories while I erase the current...

Good Beer for a beginning beer drinker. Cheap but you really can't compare this to craft offerings. For a BBQ or football night, this is perfect. Had some of these while watching the Kansas City Chiefs. I like a lot of football teams. Not really for one in particular. i do like the seattle seahawks.
Usually i crack open a pack of beer on the Uconn huskies games. Also UL and UK for basketball As well as the Boston Celtics. Watch nascar too. This beer goes well with all of those things. Also, goes good with my wings that i put in ghost pepper sauce.

One of the Big Three in sales and availability, Miller has been a solid presence in the beer shelf for as long as I've been around. I've drunk enough of these to have the flavor profile etched into my taste buds. Ubiquitous presence at parties, events, and weekenders.

I don't much like it. It's got decent body and flavor, but it has a sweetness aftertaste I really don't like. Fruity palate, that's for sure. Perhaps drinkable by you, I will give it a pass every time. Do not care for Miller's flavor choices.

For what it is, this beer is enjoyable. My friend jokingly used it as a palate cleanser during a big stout tasting last night, and it was actually a very refreshing change of pace. I'm now thinking of throwing this, or something similar, into my drinking rotation from time to time.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

First of all, this is not a craft beer. It's not supposed to be a craft beer. I am not going to rate it like a craft beer. I am going to rate it for what it is: an AAL that in the grand scheme of things is really not a bad beer at all, given the proper circumstances. I bought this beer for a particular reason. I was feeling nostalgic about my grandfather, and this was the beer he drank after Ballantine fizzled out in the 1970s. Miller High Life is not going to knock you out with its spectacular flavor, but it's smooth, and like others have posted, it tastes great after a hot couple of hours mowing the backyard. When you open the bottle, you'd better be prepared to guzzle about half of it straight off, because otherwise the white head overflows almost instantly. I learned the hard way the first time. The champagne of beers indeed.

Appearance: Pale golden bliss with a huge white head that is pretty much out of control. And that's fine by me.

Smell: Yep, corn. Lots of grainy, grassy scents to it. Exactly what you would expect from a beer like this. And that's fine by me.

Taste: It's very smooth, not much flavor going down, but when you're hot and tired, it tastes heavenly. And that's fine by me.

Mouthfeel: It's light. It's a little like drinking air. And that's fine by me.

Overall: Miller High Life does what it's supposed to do. It's the working man's beer, despite its "champagne" reference. The bottle is attractive and inviting. The High Life Girl promises you it's going to be okay. It's inexpensive and easy to come by. My grandfather drank boat loads of this stuff when I was a kid. He was a smart man. It's a beer that makes me feel nostalgic about beer.

And that's fine by me.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.