Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -44%

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grainy and phenolic notes that are, believe it or not, reminiscent of some Belgian tripels. Though clean and filtered down to nothing, the nose is enticing with yeast -- a true riddle since it has none left in it and the original yeast should be a bland lager strain. This has a lot of character -- not just for macro lagers, but for beer in general.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.3/5  rDev +23.1%

While at the liqour store, I saw that this beer was the same price as a six back of Nasty Light and Beast. Not wanting to drink those, I decided to try this brew.

Pours a nice gold color. Flavor is clean with and very smooth. This is deffinatly a "session beer" and one of the best out there for the price.

I would deffiantly buy this again.

2.9/5  rDev +8.2%

This review is of the regular strength version (not the Oklahoma 3-point version), out of 40 oz. bottle I bought from a convenience store in Harlem, NY near the hostel I'm staying at tonight.

Miller High Life was the first beer I ever drank but I haven't had it in 10 years so I thought it was time to give it another try. Of course this isn't 3 point so it isn't a fair comparison, but I'm enjoying this far more than I expected to.

Bright gold color (I'm drinking out of the bottle though as most macros to me don't improve when poured into a glass). The aroma is kinda grainy with some funky macro notes.

The taste is... better than I expected and frankly better than most macros out there. The dominant charecteristic is the grain. Not much bitterness or hop flavor but there is a slightly funky aftertaste (but not as bad as in some macros)

Lots of carbonation which works well.

If you're low on cash (as I am tonight) and want a half-way drinkable beer, this is a good choice. Definitely drink it cold.

(My scores for this beer are judging it compared to it's style, which got it a .5 bump. If compared to most microbrews, I would not judge this beer so high.)

3.18/5  rDev +18.7%

A-Poured into my Pabst chalice. It is a nice gold color with a frothy, bright white head that dissipates leaving a layer of foam. There is some nice cascading and lacing on the glass, making this one of the best looking beers for the style, which I know isn't saying much.

S-Typical adjunct nose consisting of corn and malt, with a little mustiness as well.

T-Malty, slightly musty, with a corn presence and a hint of hops. Very crisp and refreshing however.

M-Thin and watery.

D-Very, very drinkable with a low abv. and its light body.

Overall, I never pour these out of the bottle to drink mainly because one of the reasons I purchase it is because I like the bottle. Its a great beer for drinking on a budget or when hanging out with non craft drinking friends.

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Served from a can that was in my fridge for a month or so...

A- Pale yellow with thin head that reduces after a minute. Hmm, left a little lacing.

S- Sweet, corny, light.

T- Thin and sweet. Definite corn taste. Surprisingly it's not really that offensive. Smooth aftertaste that leaves a sweet taste in the mouth.

M- Light and not as thin as something like coors light. Watered down but not enough to really cut the flavor off early.

D- Good for washing down a burger or acting like an idiot showing up to a party with two 30-racks of it. It isn't really the champagne of beers IMO, but if you want to live your trashy side for a night, cheers to ya.

3.35/5  rDev +25%

24oz can, Sam Adams pint.

Darker piss yellow, fabulous head. Chunky, thick, billowing, great globular lacing.

Grass and corn. Clean.

Soapy, grain, cracker, grassy hop.

The mouthfeel is half as good as Coors Original.

Good drinkability, crisp and refreshing.

2.43/5  rDev -9.3%

poured from a 12 oz can to a SA perfect pint glass

A- looks like movie beer, straw golden yellow, crystal clear and clean, frothy white head tons of carbonation

S- Sweet grains on the nose, a touch of lemon, a slight touch of banana. Musty or mold scent on the end.

T- Soapy water, boiled grains, lemon pledge, slighty offensive after taste.

M- light, highly carbonated, blah...

O- well, it sucks, typical AAl, tastes like corn water, smells like gym socks.

3.43/5  rDev +28%

A- Clear bright yellow beneath a full finger head.

S- Faint malt sweetness with hints of corn.

T- Light malt up front which evenly fades to a barely precievable hop finish. The middle is pleasantly grainy but lends toward corn as the beer warms up.

M- Light and fizzy.

D- Hey I don't have the "girl on the moon" tatooed on my arm for nothin'

It was odd to have this beer in a glass without a bottlecap, quarter, or ping pong ball in it. For the style this really is a great beer. When you consider the price it no wonder even beer geeks often have this beer on hand if nothing else for when non-beer geek friends/family come over. Knock it if you want, but I've always liked the High Life.

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%

Crystal clear bubbly straw color with a healthy white head on top. Good head retention. Aroma is of corn and skunkweed, usually a turn off for me.

Not a very full flavor, tastes watered down and weak. It doesn't seem to hold its own, even against the water. The corn additive is the most prevelant flavor in this one, but it's weak and only ends up leaving an iffy aftertaste. Considering the bubbliness and style, I expected more carbonation that added up to a crisp and dry mouthfeel when in reality its on the creamy side. Not a good beer, but a classic in American history and everybody should at least give it a chance.

1.58/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a tall-boy can into pilsner glass. Can marked June1311 on bottom. I am reviewing this beer because it is THE beer my father has drank...ever since he got out of the navy after serving more than 8 years.

A. A rather mild pour yields 3, yes 3 fingers of big, bubbly, foamy white head. The body is an unremarkable, practically clear yellow color. Bubbles are observed rising to to the top in a slow but regular fashion. As the head slowly dies I pour more into my glass, and note that the head, although large, shrinks in a few minutes, and really is rather weak. Has an odd lacing on the top of the glass, but this doesn't keep going as I drink, just sits at the top.

S. Weak. I smell corn, the ghost of grain and metal. At least it isn't skunked.

T. Pretty much follows the nose. LOTS of corn, a bit of grain, but the metal is a little more downplayed.

M. Ever had water? You know, H2O? Yeah, it's kinda like that, with a little carbonation.

O. Overall, this is possibly the worst beer I've had in my life. I've only drank a handful of these in the past, because even in my macro brew days, I steered clear of my father's beer. The only thing this beer has going for it is the can I picked up has a pretty lady on it. Honestly, the warmer it gets, the more I get metal and corn. I believe this will be my last in my lifetime.

1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

1.5/5  rDev -44%

3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

A- Picked up a 12 pack of this while in Montana, as I like MGD, so thought I'd give this a try. The bottles are clear, which I don't necessarily like so much but oh well....old school look to the bottle anyways. Color is a shade better than straw, is very clear and there's lots of champagne like bubbles rising...probably why it's called the champagne of beers....typical of a macro lager however. The head actually sticks around for awhile, settling to a thin-ish layer over the liquied. Lacing is excellent, with lots of sticky, albeit stringy looking foam collecting along the glass...this does get much better as the drink winds down in the glass...more of a foamy film. Probably the best looking macro lager I've come across so far!

S- This area always seems to need work as far as Miller is concerned. The aromas are of general cooked corn, modest malt, and dry raw barley kernels. The finish contains some mild synthetic smelling hops. It's nothing to write home about, that's for sure!

T- If I have to compare this to anything, this is a rawer version of what MGD is....which is good IMO. The malt is there, if not a little bit cloying in the sweetness. The adjuncty corn really comes through towards the finish, along with some biscuit qualities. The actual finish has some well hidden, but noticeable nonetheless, hop bitterness. The overall flavor is decent for a macro!

M- This is a clean and crisp lager, yet still retains a mellow smoothness that makes this feel more medium bodied than thin. Seems to look the part as well, body wise.

D- What do I feel this beer is? It's a better version of MGD, IMO. The flavor is a little more prominent and it is very easy drinking...I wish this was in Canada....I would love to enjoy this all evening or at the pub! Great for beginner beer drinker but also great for a discerning BA that wants something cheap, yet flavorful.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.