Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
1.58/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a tall-boy can into pilsner glass. Can marked June1311 on bottom. I am reviewing this beer because it is THE beer my father has drank...ever since he got out of the navy after serving more than 8 years.

A. A rather mild pour yields 3, yes 3 fingers of big, bubbly, foamy white head. The body is an unremarkable, practically clear yellow color. Bubbles are observed rising to to the top in a slow but regular fashion. As the head slowly dies I pour more into my glass, and note that the head, although large, shrinks in a few minutes, and really is rather weak. Has an odd lacing on the top of the glass, but this doesn't keep going as I drink, just sits at the top.

S. Weak. I smell corn, the ghost of grain and metal. At least it isn't skunked.

T. Pretty much follows the nose. LOTS of corn, a bit of grain, but the metal is a little more downplayed.

M. Ever had water? You know, H2O? Yeah, it's kinda like that, with a little carbonation.

O. Overall, this is possibly the worst beer I've had in my life. I've only drank a handful of these in the past, because even in my macro brew days, I steered clear of my father's beer. The only thing this beer has going for it is the can I picked up has a pretty lady on it. Honestly, the warmer it gets, the more I get metal and corn. I believe this will be my last in my lifetime.

CFHMagnet, Jun 11, 2011

JVoyager, Sep 24, 2012

uziangis, Jan 13, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -34.7%

wilfonzo, Oct 29, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow, this is my first 'can' review. I find it odd how I tend to stay away from cans when I can (hmm, no pun intended). This beer is one of the staples of parties it seems but it's really the first time I've encountered it. I had a hearty chuckle reading its slogan, 'The Champagne of Beers'. You know what it's good for? Beer pong. I would not drink this if I had a choice, but hey it has a taste.

Pours like piss, smells like macro beer. Tastes like alcohol and some malt, isn't too skunky which is good for chucking a few ounces here and there when you're losing beer pong. We almost won! Overall, this beer isn't that great :).

aquatonex, Oct 17, 2004

100200300, Jul 03, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +46.6%

I only base my reviews based on the style of the beer.

Appearance is amazing for the style. Pours a three finger head that sticks to the side of the glass to the end. So the retention is great! Golden clear color with some carbonation bubbling up.

Sweet malt, some cooked grains, and a touch of grassy hops hit the nose. Nothing offensive.

The taste is classic American lager. Nothing over done just a good balance of clean grassy hops with a touch of bitterness. Some hits of cereal grains, sweet malts and clean finish.

I will put this lager up with my other favorite macro lagers in American (Pabst and Schlitz. Clean, easy drinking lager that is perfect for hotter weather. Yes, nothing in this beer is over done. But, that is why many like it. Just clean easy drinking with no nasty after taste just good balance for the style.

Luigi, Sep 28, 2011

Ewhite2121, Mar 02, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

John_Beeryman, Jul 21, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -59%

There is not a lot to say about this beer that is good, not for me anyway. The beer is a nice light gold colour that is reminiscent of American lagers. There is no discernable smell to speak of nor is there any discernable taste. The mouthfeel is very watery with hints of carbonation. Overall this is not a beer that I would try again, nor is it a beer that I would recommend to others.

cyrenaica, Jun 25, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +31.7%

A- Picked up a 12 pack of this while in Montana, as I like MGD, so thought I'd give this a try. The bottles are clear, which I don't necessarily like so much but oh well....old school look to the bottle anyways. Color is a shade better than straw, is very clear and there's lots of champagne like bubbles rising...probably why it's called the champagne of beers....typical of a macro lager however. The head actually sticks around for awhile, settling to a thin-ish layer over the liquied. Lacing is excellent, with lots of sticky, albeit stringy looking foam collecting along the glass...this does get much better as the drink winds down in the glass...more of a foamy film. Probably the best looking macro lager I've come across so far!

S- This area always seems to need work as far as Miller is concerned. The aromas are of general cooked corn, modest malt, and dry raw barley kernels. The finish contains some mild synthetic smelling hops. It's nothing to write home about, that's for sure!

T- If I have to compare this to anything, this is a rawer version of what MGD is....which is good IMO. The malt is there, if not a little bit cloying in the sweetness. The adjuncty corn really comes through towards the finish, along with some biscuit qualities. The actual finish has some well hidden, but noticeable nonetheless, hop bitterness. The overall flavor is decent for a macro!

M- This is a clean and crisp lager, yet still retains a mellow smoothness that makes this feel more medium bodied than thin. Seems to look the part as well, body wise.

D- What do I feel this beer is? It's a better version of MGD, IMO. The flavor is a little more prominent and it is very easy drinking...I wish this was in Canada....I would love to enjoy this all evening or at the pub! Great for beginner beer drinker but also great for a discerning BA that wants something cheap, yet flavorful.

ChrisCage, Mar 20, 2011

celticfutblclub, Nov 23, 2011

aqualung23, Dec 24, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -44%

DeadWalkerAir, Jul 10, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Duesler, Sep 03, 2013
3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Light golden color and crystal clear. Half inch white head took a minute or two to fade down. Lots of carbonation can be seen rising. Foam-like lacing left in clumps.

Crisp and grainy aromas. Very typical of most beers in this style, the majority of the scent comes from the adjuncts. Fresh corn is in abundance, and hangs on a few moments in the nose.

Interesting taste of corn with a slightly soapy coating. Very clean, and doesn't hang around. Not much in the way of different flavors to be found, just an all adjunct taste.

Decent viscosity with a light finish. A nice burst of carbonation to help tingle as it passes over the tongue.

Not a bad beer overall. Great to wash down anything from a grill on a hot day. A decent standout against to many lesser choices in style. Not my first choice, but a good go to macro.

RedChrome, Jul 09, 2007

Had on tap at Nick's in Bloomington.

Bright yellow color in the beer with a slight amount of white head (not bad from a pitcher).

The adjuncts are the first aroma you get, with a hint of sweetness.

The flavor is a grainy but sweet one. Corn and wheat dominate the pallate. A slight, very slight bitterness can be detected in the back end of the flavor, but not overwhelming.

Crisp, filling feel with a good amount of carbonation.

You could do better. You could do worse. All in all, it is a beer that goes down easy and is not over filling but delivers enough flavor to make it substantially better than your average macro lager.

cnally, Jun 01, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

rogerthegill, Apr 01, 2012

silverking, Jul 10, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

loupap, Jun 30, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears light golden with high carbonation. Thin head, and a soapy ring holds throughout consumption and actually laces glass to the very bottom! Smells a little dry with a rice/corn aroma that dominates. A little overpowering musky, rice like aromas.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of stale bread, corn, rice and a touch of offensive sourness. No hops detected at first. When beer warms however, sweet malts start to present, ss well as sort of a stale hop flavor. Mouthfeel is very crisp and highly carbonated, lite-medium bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - If I had to, I could toss back a 6 pack of this beer. Any more than that and I would get tired of the stale corny, rice like flavors that this beer is made of. Not much to say, it's cheap, and that's about all I like about this beer. I don't recommend anyone try this beer, it's a little one profile and gets boring and tiring fast! If your into American Adjuncts, then look else where cause there are allot better ones out there in my opinion.

PintOHops, Nov 14, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -23.5%

So I am not very enthusiastic about this beer. Much better than most adjuncts though.

Pours a pale straw color with a decent enough head and a little lacing. Smells of sweet corn and some florals. Tastes semi-sweet with a little hop bitterness playing with the palate. Mouthfeel is pretty thin and needs major work. Good carbonation. Poor drinkability.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 11, 2010

MaxOhle, Nov 10, 2012
2.78/5  rDev +3.7%

High Life is your basic macro lager, with actually a slightly above average taste.

Pours fizzy yellow, with ample carbonation.

Smell is clean, with a dose of corn.

Taste actually has quite a bit of toasted breadiness, followed by some cooked corn, and some floral balance.

Overall, not a bad option for your typical macro lager.

HoustonTX, Nov 27, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a golden yellow with lots of visible carbonation and a thin head. The smell is pretty standard for a macro, a tiny bit of malt sweetness and a touch of corn adjunct. The taste is fairly unassuming, but I'm not sure what else you'd expect. A bit of sweet malt with a clean finish. It's not going to knock anyone's socks off, but you won't be thirsty anymore. The mouthfeel is standard macrobrew, watery without too much carbonation. The one thing this beer shines in is drinkability, and an average person could easily down ten or twelve without thinking about it.

TheTrevor, Apr 18, 2008
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.