Follow our progress ...

Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
good
Read the review

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,107 | Ratings: 3,595
2.05/5  rDev -27%

Another pale golden macro lager, though oddly more enjoyable then most. The smell and taste smack of grain and corn. The Champagne of beers is definitely highly carbonated, making it somewhat refreshing. I wish I could put a finger on what it is that makes this beer more drinkable then a lot of the others in the category.

***WARNING: DO NOT LET THIS BEER WARM-UP!!! IF YOU DO, IT COULD LEAD TO A RATHER NASTY EXPERIENCE***

3.17/5  rDev +12.8%

Served in a 40oz. bottle, the way God intended, so there isn't much to comment on the pour or the head. The bottle does make a satisfying hiss as I twist off the screw-top cap, though. Through the clear bottle, the beer is hay-colored and fizzy as tonic water.

Not much smell through the tiny bottle top. What I am able to sense is a mixture of bread and funk. More nostalgia than identifiable odor...all I can think of is the floor of a frat house basement.

The taste is grainy and bready, with a huge adjunct presence. It's less ricey than Bud Light and it's brethren, but there's a definite corn flavor that only gets worse as the beer warms up. Sweet malts, spoiled apple and grass. There's the tiniest bit of hops at the very back - barely noticeable until after the beer's been swallowed - which lingers on the tongue for just a second. Aftertaste is nonexistant.

Mouthfeel is light, cold & bubbly. Incredibly drinkable. One could easily demolish a six-pack without even noticing.
...at first.

If this was a 12oz. bottle, things would be bright and cheery. But, being a 40ouncer, the beer is warm and the carbonation is completely gone by the time I hit the last 8 ounces. The character of the brew completely changes without the shield of temperature and bubbles. It tastes like apple juice, with a slice of bread, all stuck in a blender and left to sit on the counter for a week. I'm not sure how, but I managed to choke down the last few sips and put this one to bed.

Full article: http://timdudley.net/beer/?p=57

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%

this beer is based on the style it is classified in... nothing special but it's a good beer for a night out with the guys. not so sure it's the champagne of beers but for my money, i'd buy it again. has a musky taste to it that isn't overpowering. you can definately suck down quite a few of these. the one(s) i had were in tall-boy cans....can't get any better than that.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a clear light gold with medium head. Smells like sweet nectar. Pretty tasty for a super cheap beer. Tastes like sweet nectar with a zest of honey and corn, watered down. Nice and refreshing for the right day of the summer. Nothing quite like sitting out on the patio on a hot summer day sucking down a cold pitcher of Miller High Life.

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pale straw, one finger head that quickly dissipates leaving just about no lacing.

S: Corn. Maybe some malt. But mostly just corn.

T: More corn, just about no hops to speak of. Aftertaste is almost not even there.

M: Sharp carbonation, like an AAL should have.

O: For the price and in comparison to just about all other BMC offerings, this isn't a bad beer at all. No marketing gimmicks that drive up prices, and it doesn't taste like crap.

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

As a college student, it is my job to find a cheap beer that doesn't taste like puked piss. This just may be the best it gets.

A- ya know, it actually looks pretty decent. It's golden color looks a bit watery, but it's fairly acceptable.

S- Fairly malty. If you've ever had Bud or Coors Banquet, it will be pretty familiar (though slightly different)

T- A bit watery, but as is to be expected. Similar to Coors Ban, but without some of the grossness.

M- The champagne of beers does indeed live up to it's name, as it is pleasantly carbonated. Again, a bit watery.

D- Decently drinkable. Of course, more so if one has had three already.

I actually would probably buy this again. That score is on the upper side of average.

2.68/5  rDev -4.6%

High Life, the so called "champagne of beers" is your typical adjunct lager. Pours a pale straw color. The head dissipates into nothing after a few seconds. The liquor store near me sells these in 40's and 32 Oz cans. The taste is of corn. There is an aftertaste, which consists of corn and rice. Overall, this is my go to cheap beer.

3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

4.85/5  rDev +72.6%

My other go to beer. When i need a change of pace from Coors Banquet, I go with MHL. A great summer beer when your BBQing or hanging out at the river. tastes great. MHL in the bottle is great. Cans arent bad either, but the bottled MHL tastes better to me. I love the classic look also. As bad as Miller light is...MHL is that good, lol.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

4.77/5  rDev +69.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The champagne of beers. Only drink these in the bottles, I would never buy them in cans. I consider this beer as a treat You cant go wrong with this beer, its cheap and good.

3.59/5  rDev +27.8%

My dad mentioned to me that when mated with a lime slice, this is the poor man's corona. Ice cold, with a lime, this is now my favorite cheap beer! While high life has a bit more corn taste than corona, close enough for most at half the price. Color is pretty light. Doesn't have any outstanding smell, but you can tell it's beer. Taste is pretty simple, little malty, no hops to speak of, but refreshing none the less. Feels fairly carbonated compared to what I have otherwise been drinking lately, hence the champagne of beers, I suppose. Extremely drinkable, and at six for the price of one micro lately, you cant go wrong if you're strapped for cash.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

I'm reviewing this within the style that it is in and not comparing it to another style unfairly.

There is only one macro that I enjoy drinking, and this one is it. There are others that I can tolerate, but this one I will buy just to have something around that is refreshing to drink. Something that is not heavy, or hoppy or malty... just lightweight and enjoyable. Even with the adjuncts, there is nothing offensive here, and it does the job that it is supposed to do. Crisp, thin mouth feel, excellent head and lacing down the glass - please don't drink from the container - pour this one. I like the 6 pack of 16oz cans best poured into glass because I have had some inconsistent quality in the bottles. Occasionally yo get a very bitter one for some reason. There's not much aroma to savor, but the balance in flavor and adequate alcohol content make this one the best macro out there that I have found yet - not to mention the price is great.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

There's something about Miller High Life bottles and PBR cans that get me all nostalgic n' junk; like I have a connection to these beers that dates back to well before I could drink beer because pops and my uncles were never without one. They're by no means my beer of choice these days, but every once and a while I catch myself reaching for one. Such was the case at Sunday night's Super Bowl Party.

Vintage bottle. Out on the back deck deep in a tub of ice. Babies were cold. Ice cold. Arctic ice cold.

Appearance. Vintagely cool. I felt like one of my uncles. Just needed a big bushy mustache.

Taste. Smooth as hell. Not a ton to it, definitely some corn and such, but no hops to speak of.

Sessionability. Off the charts. I was disappearing these effers so quickly I checked the ounce count on the bottle (more than once).

Conclusion. Not a great beer, but a great beer to have around if you want something that's not offensive and something you can drink a ton of if you keep it coming ice cold.

Ah, the High Life, fellas... the High Life.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.after a sweaty days work I don't want a beer that tastes like you could tar a roof with it.

2.46/5  rDev -12.5%

Due to it not being payday, I picked up a six-pack of Miller High Life tall boys in cans this past Friday. Not having had any in years, I wasn't sure what to expect. Not bottom-grade like the Natty Light I savored in college nor the high-grade fancy stuff I've been drinking in my early 30s, Miller High Life, while it has excellent packaging, should be sold in plain white cans with simply the word "BEER" emblazoned on it.

Far more watery than I remember it, you certainly don't get that immediate "I know I'm going to get a hangover" feeling that you get from other cheap beers. The taste is decent -- thin, but definitely palatable. The colder this beer is, the better, because if you forget about it in the next room for 15 minutes, you'll be hit with some swill that will nearly make you faint. No hangover per se, but you certainly will have stomach...issues.

I don't feel like seeking this beer out in the future, but...who am I kidding?

3.26/5  rDev +16%

My go to budget beer. Meets my budget requirements by being cheap, not too sweet, but very refreshing and very consistent. In the Detroit area a 12 pack of bottles will set you back about $7-8 in a grocery store. Prefer the bottle over the can, as with most beverages. The only exception is in the Fall when they release a beautiful special edition can in orange and black. For hunting I assume. "Don't shoot the beer!"
Like a decent champagne it is light and refreshing due to a slightly higher carbonation. Not a chemically altered "lite" beer, but its not going wow you with a complex flavor. This is a basic beer for celebrating the simple victories in life, like mowing the lawn or building a deck. The oldest Miller brand. A simple beer from a simpler time.

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love this beer. Tastes crisp and refreshing especially when served cold and drank out of a bottle. This beer is a great value for the price ($16 w/o tax for 24 bottles) and it a beer I can drink all day while doing yard work, watching sports, or grilling out. Goes pretty well with any meat. The only thing that will ruin this beer is the fact that the warmer it gets, the worse it starts to taste.

1.06/5  rDev -62.3%

Me and my brother bought a 12 pack a couple months back, and I have got to say this is By far one of the worst beers I've come across, I typically like cheap beer too but this tasted like piss mixed with rat poison, It does have a good pilsner look, the smell is of sulfer (atleast it was when I bought it) its taste was terrible, far too much carbonation, mouthfeel, like I previously stated way to carbonated, overall I'd drink this beer if you bought me one, but thats the only time I would, never going to buy this sludge again.

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A golden oldie. Grew up in the 70's and every other beer is compared to it. Nothing special or pretentious about but takes you back like you are meeting an old friend. Would say probably the best value beer or the one I want on a hot summer day.

4.75/5  rDev +69%

It says it right on the label- the champagne of beer. You get all the effervescence and character of a fine champagne with the drinkability and flavor of a light Pilsner. High enough abv to drink all day, but classy enough to impress a date. High-life truly has it all.

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Middle of the road for AAL. Head dissipated to an ugly river foam like quality, while the Pabst I had poured next to it retained a creamy dense head. I also chose Pabst 3 for 3 blind taste testing the two. High Life was not bad, just not great.

2.27/5  rDev -19.2%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%

A: It poured light gold, with a more than thin head at first that evaporated farely quick, very uneven lace.

S: Very unaromatic, hops aren't even noticable.

T: Not as bad as most macro's but still pretty terrible, but it is crisp and very slightly bitter.

M: Has a pretty harsh bite after the first initial taste.

D: For a cheap macro its pretty easy to pound these puppies all night long... so if your at a college party and your already drunk might as well knock em' back anyways.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Light amber color, tending to gold. 1 finger head. Surprisingly strong legs.

S - Skunky.

T - Can definitely taste corn, with sweet aftertaste. Almost like celery.

M - Watery from start to finish.

D - Drinkability is this beer's strong suit.

When reviewing a beer like Miller High Life, it's time to take off the hat of the beer snob and put on the hat of the barfly. This is a beer for roadhouses, frat parties, and fishing trips, and should be evaluated as such.

Having said that, my opinion is that other American Macrobrews (Bud, MGD, Coors) offer more bang for their buck. Even against this undistinguished competition, Miller High Life is a straggler.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.