Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,461
3.74/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A golden oldie. Grew up in the 70's and every other beer is compared to it. Nothing special or pretentious about but takes you back like you are meeting an old friend. Would say probably the best value beer or the one I want on a hot summer day.

4.75/5  rDev +69%

It says it right on the label- the champagne of beer. You get all the effervescence and character of a fine champagne with the drinkability and flavor of a light Pilsner. High enough abv to drink all day, but classy enough to impress a date. High-life truly has it all.

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Middle of the road for AAL. Head dissipated to an ugly river foam like quality, while the Pabst I had poured next to it retained a creamy dense head. I also chose Pabst 3 for 3 blind taste testing the two. High Life was not bad, just not great.

2.27/5  rDev -19.2%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

I'm reviewing this within the style that it is in and not comparing it to another style unfairly.

There is only one macro that I enjoy drinking, and this one is it. There are others that I can tolerate, but this one I will buy just to have something around that is refreshing to drink. Something that is not heavy, or hoppy or malty... just lightweight and enjoyable. Even with the adjuncts, there is nothing offensive here, and it does the job that it is supposed to do. Crisp, thin mouth feel, excellent head and lacing down the glass - please don't drink from the container - pour this one. I like the 6 pack of 16oz cans best poured into glass because I have had some inconsistent quality in the bottles. Occasionally yo get a very bitter one for some reason. There's not much aroma to savor, but the balance in flavor and adequate alcohol content make this one the best macro out there that I have found yet - not to mention the price is great.

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%

A: It poured light gold, with a more than thin head at first that evaporated farely quick, very uneven lace.

S: Very unaromatic, hops aren't even noticable.

T: Not as bad as most macro's but still pretty terrible, but it is crisp and very slightly bitter.

M: Has a pretty harsh bite after the first initial taste.

D: For a cheap macro its pretty easy to pound these puppies all night long... so if your at a college party and your already drunk might as well knock em' back anyways.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Light amber color, tending to gold. 1 finger head. Surprisingly strong legs.

S - Skunky.

T - Can definitely taste corn, with sweet aftertaste. Almost like celery.

M - Watery from start to finish.

D - Drinkability is this beer's strong suit.

When reviewing a beer like Miller High Life, it's time to take off the hat of the beer snob and put on the hat of the barfly. This is a beer for roadhouses, frat parties, and fishing trips, and should be evaluated as such.

Having said that, my opinion is that other American Macrobrews (Bud, MGD, Coors) offer more bang for their buck. Even against this undistinguished competition, Miller High Life is a straggler.

3.41/5  rDev +21.4%

Guess I should review my own macro of choice (and the first beer I've ever drank) First time pouring it into a glass that didn't have an opponents ping pong ball land in it before drinking actually :D

Look: Pours a clear very pale gold color with a foamy white head head that leaves sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: not much there really, a bit of a corn-like smell to it I guess, nothing offensive though.

Taste: sort of a sweet, refreshing taste, very small metallic hint from the can, not as watery as some macros I've had but can't hold a candle to the better bears I drink when I'm not broke.

Mouthfeel: smooth and refreshing with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: very drinkable for those hot summer days when you need a nice refreshing brew that's not too heavy.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

High Life is the king of cheap beers. In my opinion it is the finest of the BMC beers, and no that is not a joke. This beer is amazingly drinkable, and tastes smooth and bubbly. In fact, for a macrobrew, the taste is about as good as I have had. The smell is a bit weird, and is the only true knock I have on the High Life. The bottle design is legendary, and when you have a High Life in your hand at a college party, you feel classy, even though you have spent very little money. I will always have a special place in my life for the High Life, and frequently drink even when I have more expensive, "better" options to choose from.

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A = looks like someone peed in the bottle. almost no head.
S = smells like someone peed in the bottle.
T = like your typical cheap beer. descent carbonation.
M = easy to drink. flows as quickly as water, but with atleast some buzz
O = My summer, mowing, pool cleaning, landscaping, window installing, fence painting, house staining, deck building beer.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

While out with the family getting some cheap pizza for lunch and shooting by RadioShack I picked up a 12pk of Miller High Life. It was $6 at the gas station, that is dirt cheap, around $.50 bottle. I got home after it sat in the car for 20 minutes and popped the cap on the first one it isn't bad at all.

Miller has a decent product when compared to some of the other conglomerates that sell cheap bottled beer.

Miller High Life is highly carbonated, be prepared to full of gas. Not a difficult beer to drink even when not eating. Easily drink 4 or more before feeling too many effects.

I would recommend this beer for the fiscally challenged.

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%

This is one bad beer. Of the cheap adjuncts, this is perhaps my least favorite. I don't mean to bag on any beer, but this "champagne of beers" is not even worth trying. My reason: TOO FUCKING BUUBLY. The taste and appearance and everything else is okay, but I cannot even stomach two of these without feeling like Mt. Vesuvius going nuts is in my guts. If you are a fan of blatant overcarbonation, then you will love this.

Please pardon my french but I feel strongly about these damn bubbles.

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

Haters gonna hate, but in my humble opinion, this is the only mass produced American beer worth drinking. I wouldn't pair it with food, and in fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck drinking this except on special occasions. Those occasions are this: when you are really hot and just finished mowing the grass. When you go to the beach with a couple of friends and light a bonfire. And on those occasions, trust me, it's a winner. Feel free to ban me from ever writing another review now...

Keep in mind i'm rating this a 5 because i'm new to beer and this is the best out of what i have had. I don't really know what to describe the taste like, just kind of like... corn? sweet. I drink this because i didnt have a job and was not able to buy more expensive things. I have read however this has won the gold medal for best american style lager several times. I think i know why they call this the high life though. It makes you feel like you are living the high life due to the taste and quality for the price. Their advertising campaigns hit the nail on the head. This is a testament to working men and women. I got paid my first paycheck recently and i bought some of this, and i felt like i was drinking in style. This is better quality in my opinion than budweiser and its cheaper. There is a reason it rated highly in american adjunct lagers, as you categorize them on the site. Apparently the Alstrom brothers on this site agree with me. They gave it an 81. I think miller is the best out of the as you guys on the site call them the macro brews. Whether its fishing or a barbeque or fourth of july party this goes good with anything. I love this with a nice Hamburger and steak fries.

2.42/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

My preferred method to enjoy this fine, craft beer is in a 32oz. can wrapped snugly in a brown paper sack. Yep, pretty much right from the local vendor's cooler to you. This is actually a decent beer for the price, I like it better than the other beers stacked next to it in the chiller. Not much to really judge, just a decent, cheap beer.

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Miller is not the worst beer I have ever drank. However, it is very close. It has a big popularity because of the cost. Have heard it called fermented piss, while i don't agree I still don't enjoy Miller.

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

I want to place two thoughts into consideration. Let's compare macro brews with other macro brews. Let's also consider that union brewed beer produces family wage jobs which are more important than ever today. I like to think that my enjoyment of this beer is good for our economy. Miller High Life should be considered a "Classic Beer" with these considerations. The head is unique for macro brews. The creamy mouth feel can seem luxurious when only a lighter beer will satisfy my dry. The taste is consistently good for this style no matter how many glasses you drain. Along with PBR it is truly the working persons (or students) best option if you like to have six or more at a time without blowing out the budget and you want something that is refreshing and tastes good. I am very thankful that Miller High Life is still available at a reasonably low cost. This is known as "The High Life" for those of us who like to drink beer frequently within our budget. I envy anyone who can afford to do this with micro brews. I am willing to label Miller High Life as the champagne of beer for the common person. It deserves a lot of respect for this reason in comparison with other beers in it's class.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

For what it is,, a cheap macro is tastes pretty good. I will have to say that I think you have to have a taste for the ol' high life.. It does have a wicked corn smell. Its cheap just like PBR and actually has a taste. With my beer budget on the fritz right now, High Life is filling the void just fine. I have made this my go-to cheap beer in my fridge due to the fact that PBR isn't in every supermarket here in south florida and funny,,, its 50 cents cheaper a 12-pack than PBR.. After a long session on a friday night, no hangover like I get from AB products..
Cheers! Have a High Life

2.98/5  rDev +6%

This review is a bit on a curve, taking in account the taste vs. price aspect. As for all of the mass produced "big" beers out there, this is by far my favorite. Much better then Coors, Bud, or the other Miller products. Has an easy drinking feel which makes it quite easy to enjoy multiples in one sitting. A great beer for the "struggling artists" of the world. While wishing one was drinking a better beer, you can be satisfied know the money you spent to enjoy "a" beer was well worth it. Not the greatest look or smell, but again pound for pound an excellent beer that you can usually find in most places.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

My first BA review in honor of college backyard parties.

Straw colored although darker than most American Adjunct Lagers from well known macros. Head dissipates quickly like a soda and settles into a sticky, stringy, unremarkable "head".

Mild grain smell, sweet corn and a little straw like with a nickel tinge. Nothing outside the ordinary for this style of beer.

Mild grain taste with corn and rice. More flavor than most macros albeit doesn't mean much for this category. I would prefer this to most other macros.

Thin and watery.

Goes down like water. Remarkable drinkability, I can pound this all night (which I do with beer pong) although I wouldn't if given a better choice.

Typical Adjunct Lager that leaves me feeling "meh". Hot day or at a party like I had, this beer is perfect. Otherwise, skip it and go for something better.

3.11/5  rDev +10.7%

Frothy head upon initial pouring. There is a faint smell that reminded me of dish water or cleaning bleach but it disappeared quickly and had no effect on the taste. The flavor is OK for a budget macro brew. I found the mouth feel to be somewhat on the lighter side. A decent summer time lager when the budget is tight or you need to pass a kidney stone.

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%

It's a good everyday beer; cheap and tastier than Bud and Coors in my opinion.

Serving Type: Bottle
Appearance: Pale yellow with a minimal amount of head. As I drank it, it did have a good bit of lacing left behind in the bottle.
Smell: Corn and cereal grains
Taste: Similar to the smell but kind of watery and a tab bit skunky
Mouthfeel: Soft carbonation
Drinkability: Not bad after you put down the first one
Overall: Great beer when served ice cold on a hot day. I wouldn't order it at a bar, but it's nice to have a few in the fridge when feel like having a decent macro.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Back when I was young, poor, uneducated beerwise and Alabama had ridiculously strict beer laws, High Life and/or High Lite were my beers of choice. Saddled without much of a choice, it was a decent pick from the major brewers.

I never drink it anymore, but I probably wouldn't turn down a free one. The taste isn't half bad but I always felt that there was a sour hint to it, which probably set it apart from the other major distribution beers and why I liked it.

I wouldn't recommend it as a beer. However, if you find yourself knee deep in a wooded area in the backwoods of Alabama and you hear Hank Williams Jr blaring from two 12 inch speakers hoisted in the bed of a 1984 Chevrolet Silverado, then go ahead, feel confident to drink one.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

for a long time i didn't know "the champagne of beers" meant it was extra frothy and bubbly but i always liked the nice buzz and the taste in those 12 ounce bottles ice cold the taste is awesome like over carbonated unsweetened black tea and it leaves a nice flavor to marinate in your mouth i haven't had one of theses in a while i think i might pick one up tomorrow for 2 bucks a 32 you can make another trip to the store

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Yes, it is not "good" beer. But it is also extremely cheap, and very drinkable. Make sure it is cold; really cold. This is my beer of choice when I am doing yard work. Better than its competition.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.