Miller High Life | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
good
Read the review

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Reviews: 1,100 | Ratings: 3,558
3.96/5  rDev +40.9%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

4.85/5  rDev +72.6%

My other go to beer. When i need a change of pace from Coors Banquet, I go with MHL. A great summer beer when your BBQing or hanging out at the river. tastes great. MHL in the bottle is great. Cans arent bad either, but the bottled MHL tastes better to me. I love the classic look also. As bad as Miller light is...MHL is that good, lol.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

4.77/5  rDev +69.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The champagne of beers. Only drink these in the bottles, I would never buy them in cans. I consider this beer as a treat You cant go wrong with this beer, its cheap and good.

3.59/5  rDev +27.8%

My dad mentioned to me that when mated with a lime slice, this is the poor man's corona. Ice cold, with a lime, this is now my favorite cheap beer! While high life has a bit more corn taste than corona, close enough for most at half the price. Color is pretty light. Doesn't have any outstanding smell, but you can tell it's beer. Taste is pretty simple, little malty, no hops to speak of, but refreshing none the less. Feels fairly carbonated compared to what I have otherwise been drinking lately, hence the champagne of beers, I suppose. Extremely drinkable, and at six for the price of one micro lately, you cant go wrong if you're strapped for cash.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

I'm reviewing this within the style that it is in and not comparing it to another style unfairly.

There is only one macro that I enjoy drinking, and this one is it. There are others that I can tolerate, but this one I will buy just to have something around that is refreshing to drink. Something that is not heavy, or hoppy or malty... just lightweight and enjoyable. Even with the adjuncts, there is nothing offensive here, and it does the job that it is supposed to do. Crisp, thin mouth feel, excellent head and lacing down the glass - please don't drink from the container - pour this one. I like the 6 pack of 16oz cans best poured into glass because I have had some inconsistent quality in the bottles. Occasionally yo get a very bitter one for some reason. There's not much aroma to savor, but the balance in flavor and adequate alcohol content make this one the best macro out there that I have found yet - not to mention the price is great.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

There's something about Miller High Life bottles and PBR cans that get me all nostalgic n' junk; like I have a connection to these beers that dates back to well before I could drink beer because pops and my uncles were never without one. They're by no means my beer of choice these days, but every once and a while I catch myself reaching for one. Such was the case at Sunday night's Super Bowl Party.

Vintage bottle. Out on the back deck deep in a tub of ice. Babies were cold. Ice cold. Arctic ice cold.

Appearance. Vintagely cool. I felt like one of my uncles. Just needed a big bushy mustache.

Taste. Smooth as hell. Not a ton to it, definitely some corn and such, but no hops to speak of.

Sessionability. Off the charts. I was disappearing these effers so quickly I checked the ounce count on the bottle (more than once).

Conclusion. Not a great beer, but a great beer to have around if you want something that's not offensive and something you can drink a ton of if you keep it coming ice cold.

Ah, the High Life, fellas... the High Life.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.after a sweaty days work I don't want a beer that tastes like you could tar a roof with it.

2.46/5  rDev -12.5%

Due to it not being payday, I picked up a six-pack of Miller High Life tall boys in cans this past Friday. Not having had any in years, I wasn't sure what to expect. Not bottom-grade like the Natty Light I savored in college nor the high-grade fancy stuff I've been drinking in my early 30s, Miller High Life, while it has excellent packaging, should be sold in plain white cans with simply the word "BEER" emblazoned on it.

Far more watery than I remember it, you certainly don't get that immediate "I know I'm going to get a hangover" feeling that you get from other cheap beers. The taste is decent -- thin, but definitely palatable. The colder this beer is, the better, because if you forget about it in the next room for 15 minutes, you'll be hit with some swill that will nearly make you faint. No hangover per se, but you certainly will have stomach...issues.

I don't feel like seeking this beer out in the future, but...who am I kidding?

3.26/5  rDev +16%

My go to budget beer. Meets my budget requirements by being cheap, not too sweet, but very refreshing and very consistent. In the Detroit area a 12 pack of bottles will set you back about $7-8 in a grocery store. Prefer the bottle over the can, as with most beverages. The only exception is in the Fall when they release a beautiful special edition can in orange and black. For hunting I assume. "Don't shoot the beer!"
Like a decent champagne it is light and refreshing due to a slightly higher carbonation. Not a chemically altered "lite" beer, but its not going wow you with a complex flavor. This is a basic beer for celebrating the simple victories in life, like mowing the lawn or building a deck. The oldest Miller brand. A simple beer from a simpler time.

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love this beer. Tastes crisp and refreshing especially when served cold and drank out of a bottle. This beer is a great value for the price ($16 w/o tax for 24 bottles) and it a beer I can drink all day while doing yard work, watching sports, or grilling out. Goes pretty well with any meat. The only thing that will ruin this beer is the fact that the warmer it gets, the worse it starts to taste.

1.06/5  rDev -62.3%

Me and my brother bought a 12 pack a couple months back, and I have got to say this is By far one of the worst beers I've come across, I typically like cheap beer too but this tasted like piss mixed with rat poison, It does have a good pilsner look, the smell is of sulfer (atleast it was when I bought it) its taste was terrible, far too much carbonation, mouthfeel, like I previously stated way to carbonated, overall I'd drink this beer if you bought me one, but thats the only time I would, never going to buy this sludge again.

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A golden oldie. Grew up in the 70's and every other beer is compared to it. Nothing special or pretentious about but takes you back like you are meeting an old friend. Would say probably the best value beer or the one I want on a hot summer day.

4.75/5  rDev +69%

It says it right on the label- the champagne of beer. You get all the effervescence and character of a fine champagne with the drinkability and flavor of a light Pilsner. High enough abv to drink all day, but classy enough to impress a date. High-life truly has it all.

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Middle of the road for AAL. Head dissipated to an ugly river foam like quality, while the Pabst I had poured next to it retained a creamy dense head. I also chose Pabst 3 for 3 blind taste testing the two. High Life was not bad, just not great.

2.27/5  rDev -19.2%

this stuff taste decent. A little sweet, however there's a sort of unpleasant background taste. The color is typical of any american macro, and so are the head stats. Sitting here writing this reveiw the morning after I only got a little bit hammered of this (*came home drank 2 bottles of water), my head throbs and beats with pain. I don't want to drink this again

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%

A: It poured light gold, with a more than thin head at first that evaporated farely quick, very uneven lace.

S: Very unaromatic, hops aren't even noticable.

T: Not as bad as most macro's but still pretty terrible, but it is crisp and very slightly bitter.

M: Has a pretty harsh bite after the first initial taste.

D: For a cheap macro its pretty easy to pound these puppies all night long... so if your at a college party and your already drunk might as well knock em' back anyways.

2.11/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Light amber color, tending to gold. 1 finger head. Surprisingly strong legs.

S - Skunky.

T - Can definitely taste corn, with sweet aftertaste. Almost like celery.

M - Watery from start to finish.

D - Drinkability is this beer's strong suit.

When reviewing a beer like Miller High Life, it's time to take off the hat of the beer snob and put on the hat of the barfly. This is a beer for roadhouses, frat parties, and fishing trips, and should be evaluated as such.

Having said that, my opinion is that other American Macrobrews (Bud, MGD, Coors) offer more bang for their buck. Even against this undistinguished competition, Miller High Life is a straggler.

3.41/5  rDev +21.4%

Guess I should review my own macro of choice (and the first beer I've ever drank) First time pouring it into a glass that didn't have an opponents ping pong ball land in it before drinking actually :D

Look: Pours a clear very pale gold color with a foamy white head head that leaves sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: not much there really, a bit of a corn-like smell to it I guess, nothing offensive though.

Taste: sort of a sweet, refreshing taste, very small metallic hint from the can, not as watery as some macros I've had but can't hold a candle to the better bears I drink when I'm not broke.

Mouthfeel: smooth and refreshing with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: very drinkable for those hot summer days when you need a nice refreshing brew that's not too heavy.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

High Life is the king of cheap beers. In my opinion it is the finest of the BMC beers, and no that is not a joke. This beer is amazingly drinkable, and tastes smooth and bubbly. In fact, for a macrobrew, the taste is about as good as I have had. The smell is a bit weird, and is the only true knock I have on the High Life. The bottle design is legendary, and when you have a High Life in your hand at a college party, you feel classy, even though you have spent very little money. I will always have a special place in my life for the High Life, and frequently drink even when I have more expensive, "better" options to choose from.

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A = looks like someone peed in the bottle. almost no head.
S = smells like someone peed in the bottle.
T = like your typical cheap beer. descent carbonation.
M = easy to drink. flows as quickly as water, but with atleast some buzz
O = My summer, mowing, pool cleaning, landscaping, window installing, fence painting, house staining, deck building beer.

2.98/5  rDev +6%

While out with the family getting some cheap pizza for lunch and shooting by RadioShack I picked up a 12pk of Miller High Life. It was $6 at the gas station, that is dirt cheap, around $.50 bottle. I got home after it sat in the car for 20 minutes and popped the cap on the first one it isn't bad at all.

Miller has a decent product when compared to some of the other conglomerates that sell cheap bottled beer.

Miller High Life is highly carbonated, be prepared to full of gas. Not a difficult beer to drink even when not eating. Easily drink 4 or more before feeling too many effects.

I would recommend this beer for the fiscally challenged.

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%

This is one bad beer. Of the cheap adjuncts, this is perhaps my least favorite. I don't mean to bag on any beer, but this "champagne of beers" is not even worth trying. My reason: TOO FUCKING BUUBLY. The taste and appearance and everything else is okay, but I cannot even stomach two of these without feeling like Mt. Vesuvius going nuts is in my guts. If you are a fan of blatant overcarbonation, then you will love this.

Please pardon my french but I feel strongly about these damn bubbles.

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

Haters gonna hate, but in my humble opinion, this is the only mass produced American beer worth drinking. I wouldn't pair it with food, and in fact, I wouldn't want to be stuck drinking this except on special occasions. Those occasions are this: when you are really hot and just finished mowing the grass. When you go to the beach with a couple of friends and light a bonfire. And on those occasions, trust me, it's a winner. Feel free to ban me from ever writing another review now...

Keep in mind i'm rating this a 5 because i'm new to beer and this is the best out of what i have had. I don't really know what to describe the taste like, just kind of like... corn? sweet. I drink this because i didnt have a job and was not able to buy more expensive things. I have read however this has won the gold medal for best american style lager several times. I think i know why they call this the high life though. It makes you feel like you are living the high life due to the taste and quality for the price. Their advertising campaigns hit the nail on the head. This is a testament to working men and women. I got paid my first paycheck recently and i bought some of this, and i felt like i was drinking in style. This is better quality in my opinion than budweiser and its cheaper. There is a reason it rated highly in american adjunct lagers, as you categorize them on the site. Apparently the Alstrom brothers on this site agree with me. They gave it an 81. I think miller is the best out of the as you guys on the site call them the macro brews. Whether its fishing or a barbeque or fourth of july party this goes good with anything. I love this with a nice Hamburger and steak fries.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.