Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,462
3.56/5  rDev +26.7%

12 oz clear twist-off bottle with no freshness date found.

A- Great head retention, I was quite surprised and impressed at the same time. Good clinging action and the pale yellow golden hue donned a perfect clarity.

S- Sharp cooked corn aroma, mild grain husk as well. Clean other than that.

T&M- Solid crispness in a light body. Grainy with a hay like character, mild hop bitterness and a faintness of corn in the back. Clean on the palate with a grand smoothness that make you want to take another sip.

D- Easy to drink with mild flavors and a good wash of crispness. A tasty American Lager. Went excellent with the lamb and steak tips I grilled.

1.03/5  rDev -63.3%

First had: bottle at ?

Pours a clear straw color with pleasant bubbles and a delicate, tiny white head. Nice, right? Weak aroma of grains and skunk. Thin tasting, with minerals and stale grains, metallic, and a skunky aftertaste. Light, fizzy, and a very weak drinkability. To be avoided.

The champagne of beers, well okay mabye that's pushing it just a bit, but I will say this it's one of the best shittiest beers around. I know that's a contradiction but for the price and being a college student I will live the High Life. Cmon this is a classic beer, hell I even contemplated making it my 100th. It pours a true golden color, already better than budweiser. I will say this is a fizzy golden beer with a highly carbonated get ready to belch foaming head she even leaves somewhat of a decent lace. The aroma is slightly vegetable with a lot of grainy adjunct ridden flow going on here. Not repulsive not complex, it's just beer at it's most simple macro light American lager form. A great crisp sweetness that is balanced by some hop bitterness to form one simple yet classic taste. Miller High Life is a beer worth a try, and when there is other beers attempting to be good around that aren't, I always go back to the High Life because it knows it's not a good beer. Refreshing with a creamy smooth mouthfeel that forms a foamy mustache on me, I love this brew along with the girl on the moon. You can drink this stuff all night it is meant to be swill, and there is no off flavors here or bad hangovers. So, for the style I give it my thumbs up!!!

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured pale yellow with a steady stream of small-bubbled carbonation that created a nice white head that thinned to about half the size after a minute or so and left rings of lacing.
The smell was fresh and clean. Some corn was noticeable.
The taste was a bit thin, but not from being too watery. It was malty - sweet corn was predominant. A slight touch of hops was present far in the background.
The feel was bubbly, refreshing and slighlty sweet.
This is a very smooth beer. Its smoothness comes more from the taste and the feel rather than the water, as is the case with most American macros. It has a decent taste that holds on for awhile, making this much better than most others of its style. In fact, this is a better summer thirst quencher than most craft summer brews I've had. And, it is very inexpensive. Considering the price and style, this is not bad at all - a good one to bring a six-pack of when going to the pool or the beach.

2.72/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy bright white head that slowly reduces to a pillowy thick film covering the suface of the beer with a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of slightly sweet grainy adjunct malts with some very light hints of musty corn.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy adjunct malts with a lighter note of corn. Slightly sweeter than the other AAL that I have reviewed (not sure about all since I drank some I barely remember during college). Minimal hints of bitterness in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. The carbonation is rather effervescent and it is very crisp.

O: I love the fact that I found this one in a 32 oz. can... Actually this is not as offensive as some of the other BMC offerings as it actually has some flavor and is drinkable. Best served ice cold and it is a great outdoor grilling beer (when you are the guy manning the grill) on a hot summer afternoon.

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%

I am apparently completely losing my palate for these kinds of beers, this beer was completely undrinkable. It is always "fun" to visit my in laws, I get to try all these shitty beers that I would never pay for. I drank about 1/3 of a bottle of this and then gave it to my Father-in-law because I had had enough, never again.

Beer is yellow and effervescent with a white head with no retention, no lacing, strong carbonation.

Aroma is grainy, sweet, corn.

Beer is light and watery with a strong grainy aftertaste that really dominated the beer on the taste side of things. It is otherwise flavorless and the aftertaste is really unpleasant. I sort of hate it, the second and third drink do not improve the beer and the after taste goes more vegetal until it tastes like I'm drinking cream corn and boiled cabbage. Nope, not a repeat.

3.11/5  rDev +10.7%

Had on tap at Irish Eyes.

A: The High Life was straw yellow in color and quite hazy. An impressive white head formed on top, very foamy, and coated the sides of the glass with lace.

S: Not a ton going on - some corn and grainy malt, but there is a hint of fruit in there. Hard to place what it was, but there was a slight fruity sweetness.

T: Similar to the aroma, not a whole lot going on. Corn and grain with a slight hoppy/fruit flavor, but very faint.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. Very crisp and smooth.

O: Not terrible. Easy drinking, and cheap, it was $1.50 for a pint. Better than many BMC products.

Grabbed this out of the macro haven that is my father-in-law's beer fridge.

I drank it out of the can because that's how things are done at the in-laws.

It was a crisp, smooth beer that was a little heavily carbonated. It was easy to drink, but lacked overall flavor. The smell coming from the can was grainy and metallic. The flavor was also grainy, a little sweet, but had some decent hop bitterness to it.

This is by no means a bad beer, and in fact I chose it over about 6 other macros. Ultimately though, it lacks substance.

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pale malt and adjunct scent that is a bit dry and musty. It has a light hop aroma. The taste is average as well. It has a dry and grainy pale malt and adjunct flavor that goes down easy and finishes slightly sweet and musty. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a decent adjunct lager. I never really gave it much of a chance before and I'm sure I won't be giving it much of a chance in the future.

1.96/5  rDev -30.2%

Not sure who provided this 32 ounce can, but thanks to whoever it was.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is chlorinated corn. Absolutely awful. The flavor is corn with some grassy notes. Luckily, the chlorine from the aroma is not that apparent in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.64/5  rDev -6%

How long CAN it go on?

An aggro pour resulted in 1.5 finger's worth of rocky, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a pale yellow with a clarity that would be the standard-bearer for NE-quality. The nose was somewhat sweetish with an underlying graininess. Mouthfeel was thin to medium with a decent sweetness on the tongue. Finish was unobtrusive, at best. I remember as a young man, I really enjoyed this beer, but now, it was ho-hum at best. Too bad.

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%

A can poured into a glass at a party.

A- Kinda looks like champagne I guess. Out of the can it looks like colored water with a pale gold/yellow liquid. 1 & 1/2 inch frothy semi loose vanilla white head. Good stick that expands off the glass.

S- A pleasent macro smell, expecting corn i'm met with light pale malt. There is some corn here though. No hop presense even though it's in there somewhere. I pick up some sweet sugar. Not much to smell but this does not make me cringe.

T- Some earthiness in here surprisingly. A malt forward quaff, but it's not in OE territory. The malt gives off light toasted bread. The hops dont come forward, rather they just work well with the other ingredients giving off a pleasent taste.

M- Not bitter at all and slightly sweet towards the finish. Two steps above light bodied with a good amount of carb felt under the tounge. This is better cold, looses it's appeal as it warms. Goes down smooth, not rough at all.

D- I always seem to enjoy macro's a bit more out of a can vs a bottle. I drank three cans of this easily without a hitch, and it was just what I needed on this hot summer day. I've had this out of a bottle and could not finish it, so there is that.

2.94/5  rDev +4.6%

It's not unsual to find a 32 ounce bottle of this cheaper than a liter of bottled soda pop. Comes with a soda-like twist on/off cap too. On to the beer:

The beer has good head retention, but its clear yellow body scares me a bit. A few whiffs in the nose took me down a few notches with it's rotten adjunct aroma, even when cold. The taste is either solid or awful, depending on how cold the beer is. I first tried it a little warmer than ice cold, and it didn't make my tongue happy. However, thanks to the soda-like bottle cap, I saved some for later in the fridge, and the taste was more appealing when served CUHH-OOLD. Fairly sweet taste, with a grainy finish instead of the odd-tasting stereotype we get from cheap beer when merely cool. To enjoy Miller High Life properly, follow these don'ts:

DON'T pour into a glass.
DON'T smell the beer.
DON'T serve warmer than ice cold.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Drank straight from bottle.
Well, if you're looking for a quality beer this ain't it. with that said, it wasn't awful.
Smell had corn, hops, and some sort of citrus. Taste followed the smell. Corn, hops some light fruit. Not much of a rich flavor and after taste was light. A crisp mouthfeel that gets better as the beer becomes colder. A good, light summer thirst quencher, and cheap.

3.01/5  rDev +7.1%

Best beer on-tap at the bowling alley.

I guess it's good for the style. The flavor is a crisp mix of pale malts and corn adjunct. No hops really, just a clean beer without any nasty off-flavors. One of the better macros, if that counts for anything. Just stick to PBR if you're going cheap.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

32 oz. quart bottle,

A: Pale yellow with a surprisingly firm head.

S: Bits of corn, nothing much really.

T: Corn flavor, very light, though nothing really objectionable as the beer warms up.

M: Light, high in carbonation, but surprisingly robust for a macro.

D: Not a horrible beer, pretty good for a macro, just too light for my tastes. It has a pretty good drinkability, though the quart bottle got boring after a while.

1.15/5  rDev -59.1%

Another Miller's product I had the misfortune to encounter while on holiday in Tobago.

'The Champagne of beers' my arse!

Clear 12oz bottle of almost clear looking watery liquid which when poured produced no head or aroma what-so-ever.

Why do people buy such tasteless fizzy rubbish? I did, not knowing 'high life' really means 'low life' in American brewing advertising. I won't be making that mistake again.

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

A. Can. Fizzy yellow liquid with a bit of head and no stick.

S. Very very light here, some grains and not much else.

T. Well there is very little taste here. One of the most flavorless beers I have ever experienced. Some gritty grains, faint sweetness, carbonation and water is all I could notice.

M. Light and watery. Carbonated water.

D. I was able to get this down by just focusing on the fact it was cold. Though not any where near an award winner, its far better than Miller Light.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours the standard clear yellow that we always see in American macros, it is darker than Budweiser.

Smell is mild grain and a bit of hops

Tastes are mildly sweet with crackers being the main taste. No off flavors present, tastes mostly of sweetness and grain.

Mouthfeel is actually present.

It is drinkable, but really this isn't a German Hefe-Weisse!

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Pours yellow in color, very little carbonation, small head, some lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts, hops.

T - The taste is kinda sweet, but very watery.

M - Light body, not much of an aftertaste to talk about.

D - Drinkable I guess. Many moons ago I use to like this stuff.

3.34/5  rDev +18.9%

Inch tall white head, dark straw color. Good head retention and lacing.

Smells of adjuncts, rice/corn.

More corniness. Slightly off putting taste at the end of the sip, I can manage though.

I really enjoy the creamy mouthfeel. Medium-high carbonation.

For the style, the appearance and mouthfeel do not get much better in my opinion. This is a top of the bottom of the barrel beer for me.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%

The commercials for Miller High Life are awesome. The beer is not quite as good as the commercials, best way to describe it is servicable. The beer pours yellow/golden clear with big carbonation and bubblely head to start, then it fades. The smell and taste are common to all american adjunct lagers....wheat/barley/grain with balance of hops. The mouthfeel of this beer is fine....it beer....no out of the ordinary flavors to twangs. Overall its a good session beer.

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a faint grain with a light sweetness.

The taste was likewise faintly grainy with some corn and a balancing hop flower

The mouthfeel was crisp and light on the palate.

Overall a nice macro treat on draft.

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

16oz Camouflage Can that was left at my house at a party last Friday... I probably will never buy it.. sooo.. I figured WTF.

Poured into my shaped SA glass... aggressive pour.. 3/4" head... and actual lacing to my surprise.. brew is crystal clear straw.

Pale malts and corn. very clean.. no hops.

Flavor is "beer".. pale malts with a little bit of shucked corn.. a little bready.. not offensive... just everything is expected... I guess I should not be surprised.

Body and carbonation... yada yada yada.. you know it.

I would think that this is the first time I've had the Champagne of Beers in probably 10+ years.. all and all.. I am not unimpressed.. it is what it is... and it isn't bad. I have to say... I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered.

2.44/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pure white, three-finger head that fades slowly to a thin layer and leaving some lace. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Crystal clear pale straw color. Nose is ?? Flavor is sweet corn with faint hints of hops in background. Squeaky clean finish. Good lawn mower beer. Better than MGD. The champagne of beers, who are they kidding? $1.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.