Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,462
2.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

32oz can into a pilsner

A - An unimpressive, yet crystal clear straw yellow. Quickly dissipating tall head. This beer laces all the way up a 20oz pilsner glass.

S - Smells beerish and sweet.

T - Oh wow. Never noticed when I was in my 20s, but YUP, corn. A bit of pilsner malt. Sweet.

M - Very ebullient and thick sweetness.

O - If I've been mowing on Sunday (good beer is only had in liquor stores here and they aren't open on Sunday) this is my go-to. It's really not horrible, but there's just no comparison to a good helles. If someone told me there were hops used in this beer, I may or may not believe them.

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

As far as mega beers go, this is a pretty good one. For $4 a six, you get a sweet yellow beer with plenty of malt. There isn't much in the way of finish or hops, but you're not really expecting it.

It tastes a good bit like corn and that's an unusual craft beer flavor, so it's not a bad beer to change things up with now and then.

It does have a bit of gasiness to it and that pulls down the drinkability score.

3.01/5  rDev +7.1%

Most summers, this is a go-to beer due to its drinkability.

I mean, it doesn't matter that you keep it in ice cold water, you aren't going to hurt the flavor. And, even the regular high life, is light enough to drink more than a few.

Looking for a micro brew or craft brew...don't bother with this one.

2.67/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

First things first high life is not a sipping and savoring beer. High Life is a beer best served ice cold and drunk from the bottle, that being said, I poured my high life into a pint glass for the review.
Big frothy head that fades almost instantly into islands.
The body is a transparent gold.
It smells like cereal grains. No hops.
It tastes the same. Watery and thin.
That being said ill crush high life all day long. $10 for an 18 pack.This is my sitting in the sun white trash beer of choice. Don't overthink it.

1.06/5  rDev -62.3%

This honestly has to be one of da nastyes beer I ever tasted,
It smells like metal , dead skunk with a chemical taste to it... man color like piss....flat taste like water, no wonder its so cheap

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

What the hell! This is in my opinion the best cheep beer there is. Poors straw yellow with a thin head that lingers and clings to the top, lots of carbonation bubbles. little or no smell, maybe a sweet yeasty smell, flowery. Taste is sweet, touch of hops, little aftertaste.

This is now on the top of my list when the budget is low. Drink it cold!!!!!

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a red 16oz Solo Plastic cup at the local Catholic church shindig. It was super-cold, so there was no vapor, so I cant comment on the smell. It had a head, it was a very basic yellow color. It didnt quite live up to its rep as the Champagne of bottled beers. But it brought back reassuring memories of early adulthood, so I'm not gonna give it a bad review. My only regret was that it was not in a quart bottle with a screw-on cap...

1.87/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I have a good appreciation for more affordable beers, but this one I just can't seem to stomach. The term "swill" comes o mind. I'm shocked that this brew received such a high rating.

A- Appearance is not awful but nothing impressive, slight head vanishes when poured...dark yellow color.

S- Not really discernable from a number of adjuncts that are superior in every other facet.

T- I've never said this about any other beer, but the taste is terrible. I give it a 1.5 only because there is a faint possibiliy tha something out there may be worse. I've tried on many occasions to enjoy this beer, but to no avail. Slightly sour for some reason, and sweet likewise. Honestly tastes like the ingredients are rotten.

M- Not terrible, just light and over-carbonated when (not) enjoyed straight from the can.

D- None. I finished the can because I do not pur beer, even awful beer.

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%

Look: A pale straw color with a moderate head that lingers a bit before fading.

Smell: Not much to comment on here, just the standard "beer" smell of an American Adjunct

Taste: Now here's where I was dis appointed, this really may as well be beer-flavored seltzer water. There's really nothing too it, or if there is, it's such a subtle flavoring that my palate, which normally prefers stronger flavors, cannot detect it. I like lighter beers, but this is not a good example.

Feel: The carbonation is about right, goes down like soda.

Overall: But, all that being said, normally you're going to be throwing these back at a dollar a bottle at a bar special. It's not great beer, but it's solid for a mass produced national brand. It's not unpleasant in anyway, which is more than I can say for many other beers I've tried.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Decent head retention for a mass produced lager. Two inches of smooth white cottonball head that holds up for better than five minutes before dimishing to approximately one eighth of an inch. Thin layer of lace appears for a short period of time.

Clear pale straw color with lots of bubbles suggesting a good deal of carbonation.

Aroma is weak with a faint smell of cut grass.

Thin watery flavor with a long dry slightly floral finish. Dryness sticks around for a long time. Also possibly light struck in clear glass bottle.

To be fair, beer was purchased on clearance with age being questionable. Intend to review again at a later time.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

For the price this beer can't be beat, I've never bothered pouring it out of the can as its main purpose is to mostly get wasted or enjoy a really cold beer at the BBQ or while mowing the lawn. Smells like corn, tastes like a sweet beer champange, hence the name. mothfeel is pretty much full of carbonation but not like a soda. Drinkablility is amazing. the only other kind of beer i can drink like this might be newcastle, but that's expensive at 15 bucks a 12 pack where i can buy a dirty 30 of the high life for 11+tax/dep. This beer will always have a place in my heart, for being dirt cheap and amazingly drinkable. I can put down almost half a 30 at parties and its great with chinese food and bbq food. Can't go wrong with living the high life, just wish i could find this in 40s.

if you are on a budget, this beer is one of the best to purchase and consume. i would recommend pbr first, but this one isn't bad.

poured into a pint glass--it's light in color. not much here, and you can see it.

smell is what you would expect for a cheap adjunct. corn.

taste is nothing special. there is something decent there. i think it is the yeast. it is a crisp, clean taste.

mouthfeel is below average. don't expect any roundness here...not heavy...just a bit thicker than a glass of water.

in a hot summer blaze, one could easily drink a case of mhl. it's not bad.

3.76/5  rDev +33.8%

It looks like a beer, smells like a beer, and tastes like a beer. No need to over analyze this one. Great stuff when its hot outside or when you want to drink a lot of cold beer without having to think very much. Not good with food other than dogs. Just my opinion though.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%

When I want a cheap, drinkable single serving can of beer, this is what I drink. Sure, I could purchase 40's but then I would have to completely change my lifestyle. In all seriousness this beer is macro style with a bit more flavor than the others. One of the positives of this brew is that it does leave a very nice lacing on my glass; which, I was surprised at. The color is light golden with a heavy CO2 characteristic to it. Flavor, well, is sour with a mish mash of corn, grains, hops. Unlike most beers where you can separate the hop flavor from the malt flavor and enjoy both, this beer presents all flavors at once.

2.94/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a refrigerator-temperature bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours crystal clear, light gold, with a pure white thick head quickly dissipating into a skim of lace. Tiny rising bubbles live up to its reputation as the champagne of beers. Aroma is of light, sweet malts - unremarkable, yet inoffensive. Flavor is of corn malts, with no hops to balance. A slight bitterness up front yields to a malty sweetness that does not linger. I cannot believe the ABV - there is no real flavor of alcohol. This is a crisp beer, the bubbles are refreshing and the mouthfeel is thin and watery as befits the style. This beer is very drinkable - it's refreshing on a hot day, has such a mild flavor that it doesn't clash with edibles, and the price is right.

2.64/5  rDev -6%

Poured aggressively from a clear bottle into a pint glass

Clear near yellow color with a long lasting head. A heavy lacing that lasted long past finishing.

Minimal bitter beer taste. Lets face it. This is a mass production brew. Not meant for beer snobs. To me it is satisfying for a hot day when you are doing the sort of activities you do as an excuse to drink beer outside.

A little thin with enough carbonation

What I remember from my wayward youth. Still would chose the king of beers when buying this style. But would enjoy on a hot Georgia afternoon.

3.01/5  rDev +7.1%

My first review! (that's why I picked an easy one)

Drank straight out of the can.

A- It's got that golden color.

S - It has that "Mass Produced" smell that you get with adjuncts. It's not overly horrible, but not something I would go out of my way for.

T- Hits you at first with a little bite, but goes away quickly the more I drink it.

M- Very thin, almost like water. Carbonation hits pretty hard as well.

O- This is my go to 'cheap' beer. Overall it's not THAT bad of a product. It does exactly what I want it to at the right price. It gets easier to drink after one or two, but there's a good reason for that. If I'm having several different beers or going out, I have to remember to use a palate cleanser after this one, as it diminishes the taste of everything after it.

a-pale yellow with a white head
s-smells of corn, malt, and hops
t-weak hop and corn taste. tasted more watery than anything
m and d-mouthfeel felt very watered down but the drinkability was averege because of that

I'm not to impressed with it very little flavor at all. One i'd say avoid.

2.26/5  rDev -19.6%

I just tryed this beer the other day after much curiousity. I have been searching for a cheaper session beer. Cheaper than Budweiser and MGD, $11.99 for a 30-pk.

The beer looked typical of Miller as I poured it into a glass, smelled weird though. This beer also had a frothy taste which felt comfortable against the palate. Unruly aftertaste. If this beer starts to get warm, it is almost impossible to stomach. Warmth brings out many weird flavors. After two of these, they became challenging to take down. When cold, the first two go down pretty easy.

If you're looking for the bargain beer, go for Pabst Blue Ribbon instead.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

hello: i've found that the champagne is a beer best drunk outdoors. by a smoking grill, floating down a river in a canoe, fishing, etc. drunk inside, this beer loses something. if pbr is my year-rounder, than the champagne is my beer-pong-on-a-picnic-tabler. in any case, of the big three, this is the only product worth a look in my opinion.

appearance: the fluid itself is nothing to look at, but i love the cowgirl on the moon.

smell: almost nothing, BUT i've never poured it in a glass or found it on tap: you can't smell much through the neck of a bottle. maybe a hint of bandaids?

taste: there's a few wierd things going on here, like a hint of metall-o-skunk, but mostly just a smooth even, uh, "beer" flavor. outdoors however, it is pure golden refreshment, and a lazy buzz to echo that honeybee in the flower next to you.

mouthfeel: very smooth, a small bone to chew in the middle of a mouthfull, but....slippery.

drinkability: exceedingly so. this beer has a nitch in my arsenal for a very good reason.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours golden with a large head. Pretty smooth for a light beer, not bitter at all. I'm going to make this one short and sweet, for a light America beer it isn't bad. I'm more of a lager/bock kinda guy, but this isn't a bad light beer. Also great for playing beer pong with.

2.97/5  rDev +5.7%

Since I no longer have money to continuously purchase the more expensive, micro or craft brews, I've decided to foray into the macro world. Wish me luck.

Color is light yellow. Smell of corn. Taste has some cereal and corn notes, which while present aren't overwhelming. Fairly balanced flavor that won't win any awards but goes well with pizza. Can easily pound a few of these in one sitting.

Overall, I would consider this a tail-gate or pizza beer. It also works well on a tight budget. Is it the best macro beer? No, that title belongs to Narragansett. Is it great bang-for-your-buck beer? You bet.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Poured from a keg in my kegerator.

Appearance: A bright golden yellow color with a lot of bubbles (perhaps my fault, but High Life is usually pretty carbonated in cans or bottles). After pouring, it developed a nice white head with just enough lacing.

Smell: Very grainy. Corn is definitely present with a touch of hops in the background.

Taste: Tastes of sweet corn and grain. A nice kick to it as well.

Mouthfeel: A very good mouthfeel. A nice medium body with just enough carbonation.

Overall: This is one of my go-to beers because it has a good balance between price and quality. Compared to other beers in the same price range (Natural Light, Busch, Keystone, Pabst), Miller High Life is definitely a home run. Not to heavy, but has all the flavor you wish you had in lighter beers.

Serving type: On-tap (but equally good in bottle. Not as nice in a can)

2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Oh Miller High Life... Where do I start, but most likely where do I end?

It has the appereance of every pale, armoaless(unless you're counting the smell of lost dreams) American macro

The taste is that of grains and machinery.

The mouthfeel is that of a very similar quality beverage... Water (except H20 is the essence of life and really no way comparable when all things considered).

But alas the drinkability of MHL is it's only "redeming" quality. It goes down "easy" and does what alcohol does best.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Light yellow color. Fair amount of carbonation. Decent head retention

S - Not getting much here; possibly due to low serving temp.

T - Virtually no hops precesence. Very light taste. What you do taste is the adjunct

M - Very fizzy. Light bodied

O - Not bad for an adjunct lager. Nothing really bad about it but nothing really good either. Serve cold.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.