1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,474 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
JohnSnowNW

4.33/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a good example of an AAL. Not perfect, but a good example of the style. I use, and typically use, AALs when boiling brats or insertion into the business end of a whole chicken (for grilling).

A: Golden.
S: Corn
T: Corn.
M: Light and effervescent, with slight astringency in finish.

07-31-2013 18:14:43 | More by JohnSnowNW
BeavisCubs

Alabama

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

12 oz clear bottle

Decent bright white head that hangs on pretty well. Impressive lacing surrounding pilsner glass. Bright golden color deeper than average American macro.

Smell is not its strong suit. Not much of one. Slight hint of corn.

More taste than other macros and not bad either, especially cold. Corny,

Mouthfeel slightly sticky. Weakest point of beer.

Drinkability is off the charts. Could knock back a 12 if necessary or desired. Good thirst quencher as well.

This stuff is simple but pretty good. A 12 pack is a pretty good use of $7 and better than anything else in the price range except Yuengling and maybe PBR. When I'm going cheap and don't feel like Yuengling Traditional Lager and can't find PBR, this does the trick.

02-28-2006 00:09:50 | More by BeavisCubs
mattsg

An incredibly poor beer. When poured into a glass, the head transforms into a sort of soapy amalgam which adheres to the glass, sure, it's lacey, but not tasty. The overall mouthfeel resembles the likes of grain alcohol mixed with burnt corn kernels, along with a hint of sticky carbonation. I hate this beer. Then again, if I'm in the mood to live the high life, I'll bury a 12 pack of it and not bust my wallet.

08-19-2008 06:59:08 | More by mattsg
blabla19

Arizona

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

Just a short review for those looking for quality beer on a budget. Ever been to their website? I like it! For those who like the finer things in life but don't want to pay a lot for it, this is it. Compared to all the other yellow american beers, this is the best. Not too carbonated, but not too flavorful. I do taste corn and some hops. At least it doesn't taste like pee. I don't know what pee tastes like, but that's just a guess.

If you're at a gas station wondering what to buy in the 4-5 dollar range, this is it.

03-15-2009 21:11:42 | More by blabla19
jngle24

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful color, smell, well it smells like beer, kind of reminds me of the smell of the red white and blue my dad used to drink. The best thing about this beer is its drinkability. You can easily mow through 6-10 beers without even realizing it. I will definitly drink it again.

09-29-2009 20:26:02 | More by jngle24
CorporateTool

4.18/5  rDev +56%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom.

01-13-2011 05:52:39 | More by CorporateTool
Luckyboy81

3.78/5  rDev +41%

Let it be known that I am a novice beer drinker. I've been at it for only a month now, and I've tried about 5 different types of beers so far. I'm in search of my beer, or perhaps...a beer that I can drink. Like many beginners, I find beer to be extremely bitter in general and barely undrinkable...but I also know that every beer is different and it's only a matter of time until I find the right one.
I definitely have taken a step in the right direction (for me) with Miller High life. I've tried a couple other American Adjunct-Style lagers and this is definitely the best so far. I've even tried a couple craft beers and since I'm a beginner, I find they have way too much taste and bitterness. It appears that part of the point of the American Macro-Brews is to give the masses a "decent" product for a great price....and I think Miller High Life fits the bill! This is the first beer I've drank so far that I've not only (not) poured down the drain towards the end, but also said, "wow...I could have another one of those!"

Appearance: A light golden-yellow...classic macro-lager...but perhaps a bit darker and golden then most in it's class that I've tried and seen, but not by much. Bubbly carbonation, looks very refreshing. I poured a billowy, very white, one-finger head, but many reviewers show two fingers. I could have poured more aggressive after tipping the glass to a 90 from the 45. The head actually stayed through the whole session...nice lacing, very pleasing. The new look on their bottles is very cool. Clear bottle, which opens up to the danger of "skunkiness" but I didn't detect any. The bottle is very retro and was very "American" feeling to me...like I was sitting in a fishing shack in the 40's.

Smell: Not much to mention actually...which for me is what I'm looking for until my taste is broadened a bit. It smells more of malty to me than hoppy...I think I detect a corn smell - but the smell is very faint either way.

Taste: This beer doesn't have a whole lot of taste, which again, I think I was looking for. It is very watered down, which many people don't like...but it makes it very refreshing. This beer quenched my thirst better than any other so far. The taste is more sweet than bitter, and it has a finish that leaves a crisp, yet slightly sweet, corn-like taste. Not much aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation. Overall, very refreshing, but very light bodied flavor. Although it was in a clear bottle there was no detectable skunk. I could feel the frothiness in my mouth, but it was also crisp at he same time...a nice moderate feeling of having something slightly foamy in my mouth but also crisp with a bit of a dryer finish feeling at the end.

Drinkability: This is the most drinkable beer I've tried. I actually want another one as I write this and that's the first time I've been able to say that. It's very smooth and crisp, very refreshing.

This is a good beer to wash down a nice sandwich or barbecue, even if it takes two...although I think for those with really refined tastes they would find the experience to be pretty mediocre at best...not bat, not great. For me, it's a good beer, plain and simple, and for the price, not a bad choice at all!

01-16-2011 05:20:21 | More by Luckyboy81
carrier77

2.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Serving Type is from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Light gold with a lot of white head, lots of carbonation, very little lacing.

Smell - Smells like corn

Taste - Corn and not much else

Feel - Lots of carbonation (which I am partial to) very thin, goes down easy.

Overall - For the price it is not too bad.

Reviewed on: 3-17-12

03-18-2012 01:37:11 | More by carrier77
Solomonj515

2.48/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

nice golden color for an american lager. nice head too.

smells like it says on the can, champagain of beers I got that wine champaign smell.

has a bit of a floral taste a little metalic maybe from the can.

it was a little dry but a little more smooth than what i remembe from my binge drinking days.

overall not to bad for an amarican lager.

04-17-2012 18:36:30 | More by Solomonj515
hatecave09

4.85/5  rDev +81%

One of my favorites! Retains head for a while compared to most cheap beers on the market.

Looks like usual as a cheap beer should. Goes down easy and doesn't make you look like a poon while holdin a bottle.

And it leaves a thick residue on the glass from all the lace.

Hail Fredrick Miller!!

Official beer of me. WORD!

05-14-2012 04:26:48 | More by hatecave09
LagerThanLife

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

I put bottle under serving only because beer advocate as YET to install a 40 option.

the girl on the moon and I go way back, she has helped me through some times. she is the beer i give to my friends who don't deserve decent beer and the only beer i use when making chili or carnitas.

I don't always drink sub premium, but when I do, I drink the champagne of sub premium beer.

06-19-2012 21:27:47 | More by LagerThanLife
odannyob

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%

Yesterday, while purchasing another brew @ an establishment I use frequently for such purposes, I strolled by a cooler that had gold, white and green colored 32 ounce cans of it, just sitting there, staring out through the cold plate glass. I walked by and bought something else (another story another time) but had a weird dream last night about that 32 oz can of Miller's High Life, beckoning.
So, I went back, bought 2 of them there cans and here I am, describing it.
Well, it's one of the brews I sometimes spoon out the foam from the top of the glass I poured it into. Like the soapiness head isn't really beer flavored but serving only as a real thick filtering layer before liquid escapes.
But in all actuality, I like the taste of Miller High Life. I do, and I apologize not for finding my taste receptors enjoy a Miller every now and again and even twist a grinder of chunky sea salt on a hot summer day or on a frozen winter one, too, enhancing this old American standard beer, much like a mustard smeared pretzel and good talk among long friends does.

02-12-2014 21:03:09 | More by odannyob
batsolo653

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev +29.9%

Appearance: Light yellow, but not as watered down looking as some other Macro Lagers.

Smell: Grainy, malty

Taste: Sweet malts and high carbonatiion. Has quite a clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, but does seem to have a lot of corbonation.

Drinkability: It's a very drinkable beer. Especially on a hot day outside. The colder this beer the better!

01-29-2008 03:24:21 | More by batsolo653
collegemate

3.9/5  rDev +45.5%

Bought a 12 pack at local convenient mart.

Appearance: golden color with a nice amount of foam head.

Smell: Like any beer, amazing

Taste: Light hop taste, although a bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Bitter

Drinkability: Goes down easy, great aftertaste. Can easily drink a case.

This is by far the best American macro lager that I have ever had!

07-22-2008 22:55:02 | More by collegemate
beerpainting

Alaska

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%

well I had to go and buy a second twelver of these fine mediocre beers. I mean it aint that bad. really I mean it tastes like beer ya know so what could be worse It aint no ice beer or a lambic or a belgium. It is some single row malt with some sugar and a dusting of low alpha hops. but I don't mind drinking it so I give it an overall c to c- but for 11.99 a halfrack and with the sweet champagne bottles I felt it wern't too bad after all. so I got's me another twelve this fine halloween mornin'. I kinda like this for a work beer when I sit back and paint I likes to sip on a brew and you know this one is a brew so therefor it must be kinda okay... smells like beer, tastes like beer, it must be beer....

10-31-2008 19:51:23 | More by beerpainting
Mumsbrew

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Haven't had one of these in a long, long time. I'm a stout man myself. Decided to pick up a 6 pack of bottles today and try one out. I've been thinking of brewing a batch of either an American ale or American lager. This is what i'd be going for.
Appearance - Beautiful. Just what you'd want in a golden clear lager. Really nice head and lacing.
Smell - Corn and grains. Not enough hops. Needs more aroma hops.
Taste - Could do with a little hops here too, same corn and grain.
Mouthfeel - Light and crisp. Just how it should be.
Drinkability - I'm on my 2nd in this tasteing and I'll be drinking the other 4 this evening. I grew up in the corn country of Ill. and had many of these growing up. Even been to the brewery when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes. So I'm a little partial to this beer. Loved it then and love it now. Will always be my stand by.

03-14-2009 20:32:52 | More by Mumsbrew
beerguzlor

3.08/5  rDev +14.9%

This is my old standby when I'm short on cash, out of all the beers on the lower price tier this is by far my favorite. Straight from the bottle, smells like corn and husk, a hint of wheat. Appearance is typical macro yellow. The taste is pretty sweet, some corn and grain. Drinkability is high, it glides down the throat with exceptional ease. If you are short on cash, go for it.

10-17-2009 22:34:07 | More by beerguzlor
tominator

I have drank more Miller High Life than any other beer throughout my life. Despite its low quality, in my mind it will always be a good beer.
I extracted a cold can from the fridge and poured the brew into a standard American pint glass. It was a golden yellow with a chalk white head that glowed in the light, I added a tad bit more head than normal. Be careful with the beer's temperature, if you are walking around with a couple in your pocket they will heat up and your head will get out of control. I like to hide them behind the frozen pizzas in the freezer at house parties(SHHHH!).
It smells like the end of the work week. You get a hint of hops. There isn't a great aroma that you would get in a "good beer". It smells a lot like MGD, there is a small hit of malt. Overall, the smell is pleasurable to the nostrils.
After a big gulp full, I was initially hit with the hops and the smooth creamy head. Then I experienced a void of taste that reminded me how watered down it was. High Life is essentially a watered and priced down version of MGD. You also get some nice bubbles mixed in there, its almost like an over carbonated soda, but unlike soda it's good. It goes down smooth. A very easy beer to drink yourself silly with. Don't drive while your drinking, High Life will be your ride away from sobriety.
High Life drinkers are a band of brothers. Every time a pair of High Life drinkers cross paths at a party, there is a high five or a hand shake. Its unique, because its a getting drunk beer that is filled with class as well as alcohol(4.6ABV). I'm going to go out and have some more, tomorrow morning will be painful.

11-20-2009 00:07:52 | More by tominator
bluemoundshines

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Out of all the big Miller label brands I like High life the best. But no beer belongs in clear bottle and the last few sips of a can of this beer always taste like a rubber tire.

Like many big American brands the recipe has been altered and cheapened. For me a beer tastes cheap when it has lousy small and aftertaste, High life is ok, but nothing to right home about.

I remember drinking it twenty years ago, it was a better beer, not the same recipe as they cheapened it, to put it in a lower price category.

02-05-2011 04:53:55 | More by bluemoundshines
carach

British Columbia (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +45.5%

Beautiful light beer. American beer at its finest. As a Canadian when I go to the states I get this on tap . Cheap.Tasty Refreshing. I can drink 12 to 18 of these. No rim scald.No Beagle Breath No hang over, Beautiful.The best part is is a 6 Pack of 16 ounce cans is about $5.50.

03-27-2011 01:17:40 | More by carach
DanBerliner

Had this when we ran out of beer during a party at a family member's.

Appearance: Transparent yellow, reminiscent of piss.

Smell: Corn, carbonated water.

Taste: Nothing. This was just off water it was so week. This was pretty much the low point of the drinking experience.

Mouthfeel: Nothing special, may as well have been club soda

I have always subscribed to the "respect beer" theory but this one makes it hard. I can respect craft brewers who put work into their beers but this isn't that. This is mildly alcoholic water with the single purpose of being drank with a funnel and hose.

04-26-2011 06:30:13 | More by DanBerliner
hyperty007

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Well, this is my favourite cheap beer.

In Canada it is not very popular, so it is only really found in the Beer Store in bottles.

The Canadian variation has 5% alcohol rather than the usual 4% in the States. I think because of this the beer tastes a little more bitter than it does down south.

The only real bad thing I can say about this beer is that when I twist open the bottle cap, 9/10 times I don't hear a pop. (poorly sealed?)

However In Cans in the States this beer is crisp smooth and delicious as long as it's cold

03-05-2012 19:38:52 | More by hyperty007
Anthogonist

2.84/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

In my opinion, I'd say that the miller high life is potentially the best tasting beer that the miller brewing co makes. That's not to say its a great beer, but lets face it, if I had to choose amongst the typical Miller brands, it would probably be this. As far as flavor, it's crisp and refreshing with a lot of carbonation. The taste is decent. It certainly isn't anywhere near the best, but I wouldn't rule it out.

01-09-2013 04:22:55 | More by Anthogonist
JayBeer

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance (3)- HIGH LIFE pours a GOLDEN CLEAR color with a HEAD that dissipates fairly quickly, but leaves a LATTICE down to the last drink. Some may deem a 3 too high for a MACRO, but as far as straight APPEARANCE goes, the high carbonation gives an attractive effervescence throughout the life of the drink.

Smell (1.75)- A SWEET MALT smell is given right off the pour, with LITTLE character left afterward. Given a good, hard sniff, prevailing RICE, slightly CORNY scent is present after dissipation of the head. This isn't the beer to give you a SIDEWAYS monologue, when critiquing its taste, the character just isn’t there.

Taste (3)- As far as MACRO BREWS go, I have always found HIGH LIFE to have the CRISPEST flavor for my taste (as far as macros go!). I may, however, be slightly bias, because I have been drinking this beer for several years. The taste is, again, RICEY AND CORNY, but there isn't that METALIC CAN, taste found in BUD, OR COORS. The flavor of alcohol isn't too present, the beer finishes crisp, a reminder of a hard days work in THE SUN, or weekends MOWING THE LAWN. This isn't a rare, mouthgasm inducing taste, it's just, GOOD OLE BEER.

Mouthfeel (2.75)- Again, I rate HIGH LIFE a bit higher than I would other macros, because of its EFFERVECANCE. The bubbles taken in with every sip give you a reason of why this is labeled THE CHAMPAGNE OF BEERS. It is, again, rather delightful on a HOT, DRY day, though LACKING in any other SIGNIFICANT character.

Overal (3.75)- This rating stands ONLY when compared against other MACROS. Again, I am biased toward HIGH LIFE, I have too much experience with the brew to trash it now that I have had more experience with BETTER BEERS, WITH GREATER CHARACTER IN ALL THE ABOVE CATEGORIES. A guy has to keep his old standbys, ya know. But for me, the amounts of CARBONATION AND EFFERVECANCE are the CLINCHERS.

THANKS ALL,
PS: WAS MY FIRST REVIEW ON THIS FANTASTIC FORUM, TO ALL WHO ARE CONCERNED, KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK, I LOVE THIS PLACE, AND ALL THE INFO I HAVE RETRIEVED FROM IT!

02-17-2013 02:57:10 | More by JayBeer
Pinepoint

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

I became very familiar with this 20 years ago as it was / is my wife's families goto beer for any group get together. It is just good enough (in bottles) for me to shlep around. The long neck 24 case boxes go on sale here so it is a lower cost beverage. The taste comes across as slightly burned corn. You must drink it quick, as it turns quickly if left alone. Best served very cold, by a campfire.

07-02-2013 22:06:23 | More by Pinepoint
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.