Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,084 | Hads: 3,462
2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

16 oz tall boy
A: aggressive pour into schooner and a fizz 1/8" thick is the result,
very clear light golden, no lacing.

S: smells just like a truck load of kegs, metal and beer.
T: corn, metal and weak hops.
M: It's beer
O: taste like a cheap draft beer, carbonation is OK, acceptable beer for work, lunch or a large party.

union made last time I checked, my go to high volume beer.

3.76/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For cheap macro swill, High Life (from 12oz. bottles) is hard to beat.

Typical American macro lager looks, apart from the slightly foamy head that actually tends to stick around. Smell is harsh, grainy, and not particualrly pleasant.

Tastes very grainy. Highly carbonated corn. Some malt sweetness with just a faint taste of hops towards the clean finish. Mouthfeel would be hard to match by a marco lager.

The beer to get with buddies who refuse anything that it's straw yellow and dirt cheap. The obvious choice for the poor college student as well.

3.46/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I am going to start all my reviews with an original category : How the bottle looks and how the bottle is marketed.

I love the look of the product, its a classic look in its clear glass bottle with the retro label. It brings back memories of drinking multiple Millers up in the Poconos in the returnable bottles

A - Looks great, light appearance

S - Not much of a nose to this beer, but no mistake what your drinking when you put your nose to the bottle (or can)

T- Wonderful !! Very crisp, but still has some body to the beer in comparison to it's competition (Bud nonsense etc)

M- Very WET, refreshing

D- Clearly a session brew.

I will always grab a Miller HIGH LIFE when they are around - One condition - They must be very cold

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

Stole one from a 30-pack someone brought to a party. =p

A: Clear and golden. Head is light and bubbly, disappearing quickly and leaving splotchy and uneven lace.
S: Sweet and grainy. Slightly-sour adjunct scent.
T: Cereal grains very slight touches of bubble gum. Slight bite of alcohol at the end, but it's decent.
M: Light, but with some notable substance. Sustains some level of carbonation
D: Tolerable. I'd enjoy myself if a college party had this as its staple beer.

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

man what a stellar example of what the champagne of beers should taste like. that was sarcasm, but this stuff aint all that bad. as you can see from the picture it is a pale yellow, with a white fizzy head. it has very little smell. slightly metalic, but you have to try really hard to get any kind of smell. the taste isnt terrible, there is the metallic taste from the smell. then i get the feeling as if i am drinking corn. it's just a regular thin watery mouthfeel of a cheap beer. overall this is what i drink if im recovering from something really active, or i just want to drink with my friends and i have no money.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Has craft brewing ruined the party? Check out the legendary "Bros" rating. 80. Yup 80. Why? How could they? Is it because Miller High Life is, was, and always will be the best party beer on the market? You can bet your only can of "Heady Topper" it is. Try drinking 12 cans of Heady Topper. I guarantee you will puke. Not so with High Life. Light, crisp, slight hop taste with a wet finish. Easily put away 12 of these babies with no sickness or bloated feeling. No headache. High Life deserves more credit. It taught us all how to drink beers.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"The Champagne of Beer". I like this beer as long as I'm not taking time to review it. I don't recommend savoring the flavors in your mouth, they turn bad pretty fast.

Appearance - Straw, pale golden in color. More pale than other "golden" beers. Light head that disappears.

Smell - Pretty gross at first, smells a bit like men's restroom/urinals and mild skunk but the skunk is a pleasant sweet skunk. Dirt. Corn. Plastic. Overall a poor smell.

Taste - If you're leaving it on your palate for a few seconds (which I don't recommend), you'll taste bitter and sour carbonation mixed with dark cereal grains. After the first 3 seconds it dissolves to a rough - but light - carbonated cough syrup finish. I'll say it again, don't drink it like this. The cough syrup adjective is more attributed to the medicinal numb burning on your tongue as it dissolves and you swallow. This is met with hints of fruit at the tail end of the finish. A good way to drink this beer successfully is to not take your time swishing it around in your mouth like I'm doing now. There's nothing here worth savoring. It has a great drinkability if you go straight from the bottle to your throat, minimizing the time it's on your tongue. If you do this, the beer is actually quite good. Light and carbonated, the flavors leave quickly. This is not something to sip like hot chocolate...this is something to pound down at a tailgate or swig with your meal. Taste is fresh, crisp like an apple, and lightly fruity when swigged.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated yet flat at the same time. Can't get rid of that cough syrup. Leaves with a moderately fresh finish yet not too crisp. Again, swig it, don't swish. Airy, pleasantly carbonated when swigged.

Overall - I buy these from time to time for $12/18 pack. At this price it's the best value in cheap beer. My other light choice, Michelob Golden Light, has a much better taste, mouthfeel, smell...everything - but often times it's not as cheap as High Life. High Life is better than a lot of its competitors, it manages to sustain some level of sophistication in its taste and mouthfeel that a lot of other cheap AAL's do not possess.

There's definitely better beer out there, but there's most certainly worse. High Life is not a beer you should be ashamed to serve your buddies or drink on the couch at home. It's a great cheap alternative to other beers in its price range and knocks some of them straigh out of the park. Just don't expect a fantastic dissolution in your mouth, you will be disappointed and probably grossed out.

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

A - Good golden appearance. Love the clear bottle.

S - Has a good smell.

T - Very corn-present taste, but I got used to it.

M - Good stuff.

D - Went ahead and bought a 12-pack of these because they were so cheap. Great price for this beer. Expected it to be bad because the price was so good, but it's one I'll have again.

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Lets all be honest here, there is nothing special about this beer. This is as average as a beer gets. This beer isnt great/ideal but its not a bad beer either. The flavor of this beer is very simple as well, nothing that makes it stand out with any particular flavor in my mind. The can can use work as well as it could be more attractive.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

I usually can drink the hell out of these but it wasn't happening for me tonight. Maybe because I was actually paying attention to it. Pale golden with almost no head but highly carbonated and the bubbles kept coming. Wasn't much of a smell at all. Tasted weak and watered down; a little floral to me. Smooth beer that you can definitely drink while mowing the lawn.

3.92/5  rDev +39.5%

It looks like yellow fizz (some might call it piss water). But the labeling is iconic, so it gets a 3.

The smell is pretty mild, but pleasant. Think stale grass, sweet corn, slight citrus.

The taste is all in the finish, which is corn and pure science: a nearly perfect balance of mellow hops and and sweet malts. The aftertaste is mild and pleasant.

The mouth feel is highly carbonated and light to medium. Champagne of beers is correct.

Over all, I picked up a 12 for $7.49 at Target in 2015. That is bad ass deflation. Sure, they are a conglomerate, but that also has its upsides for the poor man.

2.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Serving Type is from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Light gold with a lot of white head, lots of carbonation, very little lacing.

Smell - Smells like corn

Taste - Corn and not much else

Feel - Lots of carbonation (which I am partial to) very thin, goes down easy.

Overall - For the price it is not too bad.

Reviewed on: 3-17-12

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

A guilty pleasure when craft is not present. It drinks a bit syrupy, but that is part of its charm. As it warms, it is still enjoyable. Great for baseball games, and anytime you are looking for a "cheap" beer but don't care about the calorie count.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Miller High Life is about the same as any other American lager. To me they are all about the same. I bought a case of it to just try to save some money, and though it's not terrible, there is nothing unique or special about it. I will probably buy Yuengling if I am looking for a cheaper Lager, or even Schlitz, both have more of an interesting flavor than this beer. About the same as Bud, Coors, or any other Miller offering if you ask me, but good on a hot day, and cheap if you are pinching pennies.

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

How can anyone hate this beer? Yes it's cheap, but honestly it tastes great for its price. For being a mass produced beer it is incredibly good. The color is dull and the smell is nothing impressive, but the taste is perfectly fine and the head is is quite massive. very carbonated. It is very drinkable and finishes fairly smooth. I would say this is the real beer drinker's cheap beer. When I don't have the cash to buy a case of Sierra Nevada, I'll go with a dirty 30 of high life. Tastes even better in the bottles. I will forever respect the Champagne of Beers. Cheers.

2.26/5  rDev -19.6%

12 ounce bottle
Poured into a glass
Medium to average head
Light gold color
Interesting smell and taste, one that I don't prefer

Overall I would not recommend this beer. If it is the only choice, then it is definitely drinkable, but don't go actively seek out this one.

2.79/5  rDev -0.7%

well I had to go and buy a second twelver of these fine mediocre beers. I mean it aint that bad. really I mean it tastes like beer ya know so what could be worse It aint no ice beer or a lambic or a belgium. It is some single row malt with some sugar and a dusting of low alpha hops. but I don't mind drinking it so I give it an overall c to c- but for 11.99 a halfrack and with the sweet champagne bottles I felt it wern't too bad after all. so I got's me another twelve this fine halloween mornin'. I kinda like this for a work beer when I sit back and paint I likes to sip on a brew and you know this one is a brew so therefor it must be kinda okay... smells like beer, tastes like beer, it must be beer....

3.45/5  rDev +22.8%

Served out of a 16 oz. pint can.

Appearance is typical golden straw colored American lager look.
Starts out with a decent bright white head that diminishes to a half-finger head, then fades away to give the beer a fizzy surface.
Lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top.

Smells of malt and corn. A little bitterness in the background, but mostly sweet corn.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated, slightly watery, but pleasant.

Lots of corn taste. Slightly sweet, but refreshing. Some bitterness mid-swig that follows through on the aftertaste.

Overall its a nice cheaper beer. One of my go-to's, the other being Pabst. But this is a good beer for a bachelor or a college student on a budget like myself. A lawnmower beer.

1.32/5  rDev -53%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Look is typical of American adjacent lagers. Smell is if metallic copper and iron with hits of stale grain. Taste is even worse at first you get dank grains then taken by overpowered metallic funk. This stuff tastes like a result of a bar fight, just metallic blood and left over beer. Feel is very much like champagne like the name suggests. Overall is terrible. I would have to be very sloshed to drink this and not want to punch a stranger from the funky twang it leaves in your mouth.

One of the Big Three in sales and availability, Miller has been a solid presence in the beer shelf for as long as I've been around. I've drunk enough of these to have the flavor profile etched into my taste buds. Ubiquitous presence at parties, events, and weekenders.

I don't much like it. It's got decent body and flavor, but it has a sweetness aftertaste I really don't like. Fruity palate, that's for sure. Perhaps drinkable by you, I will give it a pass every time. Do not care for Miller's flavor choices.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

I really can't complain. This has been the mainstay beer of my adolescence life, and you know what it has done the job. It gets you drunk and for $11.99 a twenty-four pack it isn't all that bad. I definitely prefer the Pabst breweries much better. I've had much better times with Rainier, Schlitz, Hamm's, and Stroh's but Miller High Life has always been a standard brew that is easily abtainable anywhere in the country. As I've matured in my years I've tried to avoid high life more and more but whenever you are pinchin' pennies high life always tries to find it's way back into your fridge. In my opinion this is the best universally available cheap domestic lager in the great patriotic nation of America. It's the Champagne of Beers!

3.12/5  rDev +11%

It was a cool and golden evening, yet refreshing and corny. A man dives, elegantly yet with masterful precision; his nose penetrates the surface. What's this? Before his body is consumed by the brilliant liquid the man hovers, suspended, an odor enshrouding his nasal membranes. "Corn..." The wind whispers as if it were a maligned lover, leprous and proud. A taste, a taste, oh what an urge! The man's lips embrace the golden tears and a word, possibly the most important word in the history of the English language, infiltrates his brain, "Husk..."

He ponders, "Yes, husk. It's as though life, at this moment, has been transmogrified into a pool... A golden pool of corn! But wait! Husk, or is it life? Is it life?!"

"Life..." The wind whispers as the man finally immerses his entire being, both physically and spiritually into the sparkling pool. Once suspended, face merely grazing the surface, the man now enters the realm of Cheap-and-Refreshing.

1.35/5  rDev -52%

This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had. Actually, it is. My friends and I thought this would be a good change from National Bohemian since this was on sale for 11 bux for a 30pack. A hell of a deal in my book. Turns out, I will never buy or drink this beer no matter what ever again. I'd rather be sober as a bird than drink this garbage for free.

Upon opening the beer and pouring into the glass, there was a TON of head! About 3 fingers. Head is usually associated with a good beer in my opinion like Sam Adams, Magic Hat, etc., but not this beer.

The smell is that of a typical macro-brew except -1. The taste is slightly better than that of a National Bohemian. Those of you that aren't familiar with National Bohemian it is an extremely cheap beer that is only about 10 dollars for a 12 pack. It is purely a Maryland domestic beer, but it is the best value for your money. NB is of a slightly less caliber than Coors Light. But anyway, High Life's mouthfeel is horrible and has a foam feel to it when it's in your mouth.

The drinkability is even more horrible as well as this beer makes you extremely full extremely fast. Also the next day you feel like a complete fat-ass when you roll out of bed and you can just feel it latch onto your fatty-liver and gut.

When you look at your glass afterwards, you can see all the foam and sugars latch onto the glass of your beer and it's really quite disgusting. I've never had such an experience with such a cheap macro-beer. Sam Adams, I get the residue in the glass, I understand it and it doesn't look dirty, it looks natural. High Life looks utterly disgusting and you just wonder what the hell it's doing in your stomach.

If your having a party and you really feel like skimping out on the beer without skimping out on quantity, get this I suppose. I'd rather drink any other macro-beer besides this. At least scum-beers like Natural Light and Busch Light don't make you so damn full.

Oh, and as far as power hours go, DO NOT USE THIS BEER!

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Looks like every other American macro, except for the fact that the head is rather persistent. The beer is very bubbly, which gives it the famous tag line "Champagne of Beers". This beer is very cheap with high drinkability. Great beer to bring to a tailgate, when you are tired of seeing Bud.

I can consistently pick up a 4-pack 16oz cans for $2.50.

3.52/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The champagne of beers, I'm old enough to remember when High Life was the champagne of BOTTLED beers.

While I'm usually a craft drinker and primarily an import drinker before craft, sometimes I want a lighter tasting. lower abv beer, especially on a hot summer day after doing some yard work. High Life is my go to for that. The better version comes from the can, not the clear bottle. It pours a nice golden yellow with a decent head that lingers for a couple of minutes, nice lacing. It's somewhat sweet to the taste. There is nothing offensive at all going on with the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, no off notes. Nothing exciting going on either but it is a very drinkable brew for the type of beer it is.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.