Magnum - Miller Brewing Co.

MagnumMagnum

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Magnum Alström Bros
Ratings: 174 | Reviews: 60

An outlier at 1?? Laughable man

Ive had some bad beers in my life, but man, this one is coming close to takign the cake. weak nose, pissy colour, even weaker taste. lacing is lacking to say the least. the only thing that is really redeemable about this is the incredibly cheap price. one dollar? sure, ill take it, if i were a bum. and as one of the bros would point out: freshness date? hell no. this piss dont need no stinkin frehsness date.

1.09/5  rDev -44.4%

Ok I don't really know why I was enticed to buy this 40 ozer at the local cheap cigarette outlet..but like a moth to a flame I was drawn to the cheapest 40 ozer in the store $1.19 cents..
Ok poured from the brown paper bag wrapped botle into a mug this is actually not the worst looking beer pale yellow with a large white head that looks artificial.carbonation visible
Now the real down side begins..the aroma is disgusting..like dirty ditch water thats had dead mice floating in it..in the sun for 3 weeks or so..bad.
Oh god this has to be the worst tasting "beer" I have had the misfortune to come across..its just barelly disguised rubbing alcohol..terrible.
Fells like turpentine..oily and disgusting.
Oh god 4 ozs is enough of this monstrosity the other 36 are going down the drain.I think only serious alkies with a severe nasal condition could drink this trash. Miller hang your collective heads in shame.

1.25/5  rDev -36.2%

You have to have some really angry metal on to try and compliment this harshness.

Nasty yellow carbonation leaves no head. Smells of nothing but fusel alcohol and rubbing alcohol.

Tastes of rubbing alcohol and fusel alcohol as well. Carbonation or hops, can't tell, abrasive bitterness coming from the alcohol. Take a miller high life and age it in some vodka and you get this beer. Damn. I'd be tempted to give a bum some money if I saw him drinking one of these. . .

1.26/5  rDev -35.7%

Forty ounce bottle. It poured a thin clear yellow with little head. The smell was nothing but skunk. Terrible. The taste was grainy with corn, rice and alcohol. There was no hint of malt. This has no right being called a malt liquer. Horrible. Never buy this crap.

1.27/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I only drank this as part of a dare and when I had no money.

1.45/5  rDev -26%

Another malt liquor 40. This is among the cheapest of all of them, at about $1.99 a bottle. Goldish colored, consumed straight from the bottle. Tastes skunky, grainy, and very alcoholic. This is an average 40, cheap and strong. I can live the rest of my life with never having this again.

Update 2/9/04: I got Magnum again (money's tight), and I didn't dislike it as much as I used to. Still tastes like burnt corn and alcohol, but didn't offend me as much as it used to.

1.47/5  rDev -25%

I have had this before. I hated it, and everyone I know hates it. But here I am, drinking it and posting on the internet.

Poured him into a beveled glass mug. Looks normal for a American lager. Nice and clear and pale. Head leaves some lacing.

Smells slick and corny. Alcohol is strongly present.

Tastes corny. Not very clean. Aftertastes of more corn, but mostly alcohol. Tastes hot, the kind of thing that would deliver a nice, hurty, hangover. As with many 40s, it gets worse as it goes. It's best to drink this guy fast. As it warms each sip gets thicker (tasting), hotter, and cornier.

The mouthfeel is the main problem. Slick and spit like. Thanks a bundle Miller. Thanks for making spit beer. I loved you, and this is what you give me?

Its not good. But the last two times I've had it it was worse. I don't know why, maybe I'm in a better mood? Moral of this story is if you want to drink a 40, get Mickeys, or Cobra or anything. Don't get this since they all cost the same anyway.

1.5/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not a lot to see when poured in my mug, very light yellow rating a 4 on the SRM chart. Fluffy pure white head that fizzled down to a light lacing around the edge of my mug. Light sweet smell of malt and corn, nothing special here. Not much flavor at all, can't put my tongue on any real taste except wet corn. Very little in the mouth feel category also, one step above water, quite bland. Because of the lack of taste, I guess it could go with anything, but would not add to the dining experience or enhance any other flavors. It is wet, and will quench your thirst when coming in from heavy yard work, and yes it will give you a buzz, but if you are looking for flavor, look somewhere else. Much better cold, taste a little more like straw as it warms. I guess I could offer it if I had nothing else to keep a party going, but not something I would buy for a flavor experience.

1.5/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

an awefull beer, if this is something that one goes out to find to have a good decent drink, this is the wrong area to look. If forties are your sort of drink there is so much more than this beer, just stay away from the beer. If this comes into the scene drink one then you are done, otherwise stay away!

1.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another original from Miller brewing company. This is porbably one of their worst creations ever. It was a fizzy yellow liquid with a weak head. Smells like dried corn and alcohol. Taste is similar. Mmm, bitter feed corn. The body was syrupy and resulted in very poor drinkablility.

1.63/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 40 oz clear glass bottle, no freshness date.

Appearance: Clear pale straw colour with a pasty white lace. Bubbly carbonation shows its effervescence. Some of this sample was poured out to get a look at the head retention and true colour.

Smell: Light fusel alcohol, faint malt and a cooked corn aroma.

Taste: Vaguely crisp carbonation, moderate body with a thinnish malt palate. Well rounded carbonation fits this beer nicely. Alcohol in the breath with minor fusel alcohol flavours. Biting twang from the hops with a used up bitterness that struggles. Malt is cracker like yet thin and flimsy. Finish does not clean up, mildly astringent end.

Notes: On the bottle is says “Magnum Premium” … premium compared to what? A sub-standard Malt Liquor, lots of rough edges and tough to put down. Needless to say I had a hard time consuming all of it. One of the cheapest 40’s you can get, usually around $1.50 a pop.

1.75/5  rDev -10.7%

40 ounce bottle from 7-11 in Redlands

Poured a golden brown color with a thick head that smelled pretty bad

Nasty bitterness and sweet aftertaste make this hard to drink

Will never have this one again

Only thing good for is getting drunk for cheap in my opinion

1.76/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: The pour is a pale golden head with a short lived fluffy white head.

S: Sweet grain and adjuncts. Lots of corn and a bit of alcohol.

T: Metallic corn and lots of sweetness overall. Not really all that much going on.

M: Light in body with a fizzy carbonation and a short finish.

D: Not very good, even by malt liquor standards.

1.78/5  rDev -9.2%

I am still reeling from my last 40 today, but I will endure almost anything just to get my bottle numbers up to 400 so that I CAN refocus on The CANQuest (TM). Once the scourge ends, I will NOT be back.

Ooh, how pretty! A cap of a finger of rocky, bone-white head with reasonable retention above a deep golden-yellow beer. How could I possibly go wrong? Danger, Woody Robinson, danger! Warning, warning! One sniff and I was pulled out of my afternoon reverie. A bag of Fritos smells less like corn than this gem. Holy awful, Batman! Mouthfeel was medium with a heat on the tongue that full-on got my attention. Oh me, oh my, oh shit, oh dear. My brain felt like it was being cooked in the shell and my eyes were beginning to alternately bug out and roll back. No wonder the down-and-out crowd looks the way that they do, if this is a standard on the menu. Jesus, but I want to ram my head through a wall just to make the voices shut up for a f**king millisecond! I hear them all the time, but never as loudly or as clearly as I do with this winner. A previous reviewer mentioned giving money to the unfortunates who may be drinking this on the street. Hell, this makes me want to tithe. Woody at Lee Ermey the therapist's office: "Magnum 40 really makes me sad." L. E.: "That's very interesting. You know what makes me sad, you squiddly diddly piece of dung?!? This beer! Let's go get a craft beer and tell some sea stories." Yeah, man, after this, I was ready for a beer. The finish was dry, bone dry and I could feel smoke rolling out of my ear holes as my brain melted into the background. All I need is some crack or crystal meth and the afternoon will be complete.

1.82/5  rDev -7.1%

Decided to pick one of these up since they're practically free right now ay my corner store. I'm not sure why, because it doesn't even LOOK tasty, but we'll see. Brownish yellow liquid with some sudsing on top from the ride home in my bike bag. Smells really, really sweet and of corn and grain. Sugary, fruity flavor with unpleasant, bitter undertones. Feels a bit watery, especially for malt liquor. I guess you get what you pay for.

1.85/5  rDev -5.6%

40 oz. bottle, with the best by date reading July 15, 2013. The second malt liquor beer by Miller that I am reviewing here on BeerAdvocate. The first was Olde English 800, and I'm not really expecting this one to be any better. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.79 after trudging through snowy slush to get there.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear yellow piss malt liquor color with a quarter inch of thin white head that fizzles away almost immediately. Looks exactly the same as how a Miller Lite or Olde English 800 or any other Miller product looks in a glass.

S - Sweet chemically treated malts and corn husks. To give it the benefit of the doubt, this beer definitely smells better than a Miller Lite at least.

T - Artificially sweet sugars and corn / grain. Moderate level of carbonation, lightly bodied. There really isn't any discernable "taste" to be had here other than a prominent taste of corn.

M - Smooth and clean, thin and light bodied. My mouth tastes like corn kernels.

Overall, this is just a plain simple alcohol delivery vehicle for people looking to get their cheap buzz on, which is exactly what I plan on doing with it considering the murk I had to hike through to get this. (In my defense, I bought some *good* beer also). Anyway, like the others have said before me, this beer isn't horrible or offensive, it's just a bland alcohol delivery vehicle. The guy two reviews below me said it best - another tick off the bottom of the barrel list with plenty more to go.

Miller Magnum ---2/5.

1.88/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Drank straight from the forty. The usual malt liquor gold with a small white film to cap it off.

S - Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn. Corn.

T - Lots of corn as expected from the nose, And some slight sugar in the finish.

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, not a terrible malt liquor. It does it's job at the price you'd expect to pay.

1.9/5  rDev -3.1%

A = translucent pale yellow, startlingly similar to urine with the lack of carbonation in the glass. Head was about 1" thick and very foamy, but it faded in about 30 seconds and left practically no lacing in the glass

S =adjuncts of corn, missing was the usually sweet-sickly smell of this type of beer. Not much else to write about really.

T = you know, for a malt liquor, this actually doesn't taste bad. It's not good either. Corn in the taste, and surprisingly little alcohol flavor. Nothing else really. The most notable thing was the absence of off flavors that I would have expected.

M = Thin, watery, moderate carbonation. Bubbly beer-flavored dish water

D = if you absolutely are broke, if you can't afford one good real beer, then drink this cold, chug it fast, and you should be ok until you can get quality you can enjoy.

1.9/5  rDev -3.1%

poured a light golden color with a 1/4 inch head that left quickly to a slight lace, none left on the side of the glass.

the aroma is mostly corn, with alochol, and some malt in the background. there is something wrong with that imo. there is no hop aroma.

the flavor is very cooked corn, some ruff alochol flavor, little bitterness, but no hop flavor. my guess is miller uses the tetra alpha bittering on this product like they do on all there clear bottled products. the after flavor is a little cidery, very slight sulphur.

the mouthfeel is watery, very dry.

the drinkability is hard for me, dont even think i will finish whats in mky glass.

1.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Very light yellow with a slight white head. Smells of corn flakes and wimpy hops. Tastes like an even sweeter version of most macro lagers with noticeable alcoholic warmth in the finish even though the ABV is mild for the style. Watery mouthfeel,highly carbonated. This brew gets pretty nasty as it warms up. Not worth the time.

1.93/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 40oz.

A- Light yellow color with a thin white foam head that quickly vanished. No lacing left.

S- Faint rice and grain scent. A bit of soap and alcohol.

T- Sort of sweet with a bit of grain and corn. No hops present. A slight sting of alcohol in the finish.

M- Light bodied with low carbonation.

D- As far as malt liquors go...this is average. As far as beer goes....this is pretty terrible.

I think the only reason that I am even rating this beer slightly high for a malt liquor is due primarily to the fact that it is extremely cheap, and actually isn't too bad. Believe it or not, I as a college student would prefer this over many of the cheaper Anheuiser Busch products.

Pours a clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, sweet, with some rice notes. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricy. Light Body. This is a typical macro brew, nothing to talk about.

2.06/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks goes out to the BA who sent me this one as an extra just because he saw it on my Wants! Even attached a post-it note taped to it that said, “SAW THIS ON YOUR WANTS!! HAHA”. Keeping it classy. Served from 24 oz can into a Mikkeller oversized wine glass (have to try to class it up some). Poured a golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, grain, and sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I have to say that this was a pretty nice looking brew. But I knew not to judge a book by its cover here as this brew likely had a hidden side. Boy was I right on that one…. The aroma was not that great on this one as there was a fairly large sugary aspect going on with it. The flavor was more of the same with more dilution. As a previous review said this was very mild and it being in a can format would make it fun to shotgun at a college frat party (believe me, I was there once). Another tick from the Bottom of the Barrel list with plenty more to go.

Magnum from Miller Brewing Co.