Magnum - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Magnum Alström Bros
2.57/5  rDev +15.8%

Clear, pale, corn silk yellow with several healthy streams of bubbles exploding off the bottom of the glass. The head is dingy white in color, small to start with and maintains a thick disk for a while thanks to the CO2 factory feeding its underside.

The nose is weak, but what's there smells, believe it or not, like (alcoholic) apple cider. Or rather, like apple cider mixed with equal parts cheap macro lager. The fruitiness sets it apart from its style mates and keeps things interesting. No skunkiness or off aromas that I can detect.

Magnum has more flavor than the nose would suggest. It tastes like sweet grain with a modicum of bitter, floral hops and the slightest hint of apple fruitiness. That sounds better than it actually tastes, but I could drink this stuff if I had to. Like the nose, there are no overt off flavors or other nasty characteristics that one usually finds in beer of this sort.

The flavor finds the perfect point of intensity: low, thankfully. Any less and why bother? (except to get wasted quickly and cheaply). Any more and the cracks in the flavor armor would start to show in a big way. Amazingly, there's no trace of ethanol. The mouthfeel is light without being thin and delivers a semi-prickly carbonation that keeps things lively.

Magnum 40 is a prototypical malt liquor. Venomous reptile or firearm reference? Check. Bad ass bottle/can with a predominantly black color scheme? Check. Lightly sweet and high enough in alcohol to get you reelin' with the feelin' in no time at all? Check mate. I kinda like it though. If you're in the mood or if you're tight on cash, you could do much worse than this.

1.76/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: The pour is a pale golden head with a short lived fluffy white head.

S: Sweet grain and adjuncts. Lots of corn and a bit of alcohol.

T: Metallic corn and lots of sweetness overall. Not really all that much going on.

M: Light in body with a fizzy carbonation and a short finish.

D: Not very good, even by malt liquor standards.

2.48/5  rDev +11.7%

A crystal-clear, golden body is capped by a short-lived head of bright white
foam that drops readily to a thin collar without leaving any lace about the
glass. The nose is clean and fruity (berries) with just a hint of sweet
malt. The body is thin and it's gently zesty in the mouth. The flavor
delivers a lightly sweetish malt that hints at maltiness but never delivers;
a clean fruitiness; and some distinct alcohol that's unoffensive but far from being an asset. Its bitterness is quite limited, yet it still finishes dry due to its
alcohol. A poorly designed malt liquor that seems to be simply about
delivering alcohol within a malt-based (read as adjunct-laden!) liquor. Not
even worth trying.

1.63/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 40 oz clear glass bottle, no freshness date.

Appearance: Clear pale straw colour with a pasty white lace. Bubbly carbonation shows its effervescence. Some of this sample was poured out to get a look at the head retention and true colour.

Smell: Light fusel alcohol, faint malt and a cooked corn aroma.

Taste: Vaguely crisp carbonation, moderate body with a thinnish malt palate. Well rounded carbonation fits this beer nicely. Alcohol in the breath with minor fusel alcohol flavours. Biting twang from the hops with a used up bitterness that struggles. Malt is cracker like yet thin and flimsy. Finish does not clean up, mildly astringent end.

Notes: On the bottle is says “Magnum Premium” … premium compared to what? A sub-standard Malt Liquor, lots of rough edges and tough to put down. Needless to say I had a hard time consuming all of it. One of the cheapest 40’s you can get, usually around $1.50 a pop.

1.78/5  rDev -19.8%

I am still reeling from my last 40 today, but I will endure almost anything just to get my bottle numbers up to 400 so that I CAN refocus on The CANQuest (TM). Once the scourge ends, I will NOT be back.

Ooh, how pretty! A cap of a finger of rocky, bone-white head with reasonable retention above a deep golden-yellow beer. How could I possibly go wrong? Danger, Woody Robinson, danger! Warning, warning! One sniff and I was pulled out of my afternoon reverie. A bag of Fritos smells less like corn than this gem. Holy awful, Batman! Mouthfeel was medium with a heat on the tongue that full-on got my attention. Oh me, oh my, oh shit, oh dear. My brain felt like it was being cooked in the shell and my eyes were beginning to alternately bug out and roll back. No wonder the down-and-out crowd looks the way that they do, if this is a standard on the menu. Jesus, but I want to ram my head through a wall just to make the voices shut up for a f**king millisecond! I hear them all the time, but never as loudly or as clearly as I do with this winner. A previous reviewer mentioned giving money to the unfortunates who may be drinking this on the street. Hell, this makes me want to tithe. Woody at Lee Ermey the therapist's office: "Magnum 40 really makes me sad." L. E.: "That's very interesting. You know what makes me sad, you squiddly diddly piece of dung?!? This beer! Let's go get a craft beer and tell some sea stories." Yeah, man, after this, I was ready for a beer. The finish was dry, bone dry and I could feel smoke rolling out of my ear holes as my brain melted into the background. All I need is some crack or crystal meth and the afternoon will be complete.

2.76/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a clear dark yellow or light gold colored brew.

Smell is slightly sweet and grain, specifically corn scent.

Taste is a little sweet and corny with a bready flavor to back it up. Mild bitterness and alcohol flavors show up. Actual flavor content makes it superior to Bud/Coors/Miller for having an actual taste.

Mouthfeel is present.

This is a drinkable brew; no skunk and presence of an actual flavor make it superior to an average American Macrobrewed beer.

Pours a clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, sweet, with some rice notes. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricy. Light Body. This is a typical macro brew, nothing to talk about.

2.97/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts and corn. Taste is mostly of alcohol, some notes of malts and corn. Feels light in the mouth and overall this is about average as far as malt liquors go.

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Honestly, I didn't mind this 40 oz. too much, it isn't a good beer, but it could have been a lot worse. Appearance is fairly dark for a malt liquor, not great looking, but usually they appear a little more watery. Smell is adjunct, same as about all other macros. Taste is smooth, with a nice, mildly sweet finish. Never did I taste the alcohol in this one. Overall, this is a fairly drinkable beer, and above average for a macro malt liquor. Not something I'd buy for a craft session, but occaisionally a malt liquor feels right.

3.59/5  rDev +61.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From a 40! Stamped MAY0514-CO5110027. Sampled on January 12, 2014.

One needs to look at this based on the style rather than on the reputation of American malt liquors...which among craft brew fans is about the lowest it can be.

Malt liquors are supposed to look pale yellow with a big fizzy white head. This does.

malt liquors normally smell of rancid corn, rice, grain, and other adjuncts. This one does not. Yes, those characters are there but they are far more muted. Quite frankly this smells a lot like a standard American pale lager.

Malt liquor bodies are often thin and watery. This one is smooth and about medium.

Malt liquors can make you wince with the metallic taste and overly rambunctious corn and grain characters. There is a bit of that here but this is not cloying or rancid. It is really smooth. If more malt liquors were like this one I'd be drinking a lot of them. Sorry previous raters and BA members, I have to score it much higher than you did.

1.25/5  rDev -43.7%

You have to have some really angry metal on to try and compliment this harshness.

Nasty yellow carbonation leaves no head. Smells of nothing but fusel alcohol and rubbing alcohol.

Tastes of rubbing alcohol and fusel alcohol as well. Carbonation or hops, can't tell, abrasive bitterness coming from the alcohol. Take a miller high life and age it in some vodka and you get this beer. Damn. I'd be tempted to give a bum some money if I saw him drinking one of these. . .

2.51/5  rDev +13.1%

16 oz. tallboy pours a crystal clear golden color with a white foam that snap, crackles and pops down to near nothingness in a matter of seconds.

Nose is of sweet creamed corn and a bit of cardboard. Maybe a few whiffs of grainy malt. Not overly offensive, but not all that appealing either.

Taste is light sweet malts and a mild shot of alcohol. Body is extremely light for a malt liquor. It is pretty clean, without alot of off-putting fruitiness. I actually prefer my malt liquor to pack a bit more whollop than a mere 6%, the alcohol presence is featherweight in this beer. Easy to drink, but not my ML of choice.

2.06/5  rDev -7.2%

Big thanks goes out to the BA who sent me this one as an extra just because he saw it on my Wants! Even attached a post-it note taped to it that said, “SAW THIS ON YOUR WANTS!! HAHA”. Keeping it classy. Served from 24 oz can into a Mikkeller oversized wine glass (have to try to class it up some). Poured a golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, grain, and sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and water. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I have to say that this was a pretty nice looking brew. But I knew not to judge a book by its cover here as this brew likely had a hidden side. Boy was I right on that one…. The aroma was not that great on this one as there was a fairly large sugary aspect going on with it. The flavor was more of the same with more dilution. As a previous review said this was very mild and it being in a can format would make it fun to shotgun at a college frat party (believe me, I was there once). Another tick from the Bottom of the Barrel list with plenty more to go.

1.09/5  rDev -50.9%

Ok I don't really know why I was enticed to buy this 40 ozer at the local cheap cigarette outlet..but like a moth to a flame I was drawn to the cheapest 40 ozer in the store $1.19 cents..
Ok poured from the brown paper bag wrapped botle into a mug this is actually not the worst looking beer pale yellow with a large white head that looks artificial.carbonation visible
Now the real down side begins..the aroma is disgusting..like dirty ditch water thats had dead mice floating in it..in the sun for 3 weeks or so..bad.
Oh god this has to be the worst tasting "beer" I have had the misfortune to come across..its just barelly disguised rubbing alcohol..terrible.
Fells like turpentine..oily and disgusting.
Oh god 4 ozs is enough of this monstrosity the other 36 are going down the drain.I think only serious alkies with a severe nasal condition could drink this trash. Miller hang your collective heads in shame.

2.85/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured a pale yellow color with a puffy white head that was quickly vanished. Smell is very minimal with only a generic sweetish beer aroma. Taste is also sweet, but very restrained. Finishes refreshing when ice cold, but starts to lose its acceptance as it slowly warms. The 40 ounce bottle is best to share with friends so that it stays cold before being finished. Drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev +59.9%

Magnum has a fairly thick, white head and a very clear yellow-golden appearance. Aroma is skunky (at times from the clear bottle) and grainy. Carbonation is moderate to high. The taste is pretty good, for an inexpensive, mass-produced extra-strong beer. Some slight hop spice does shine through, which cuts the overly malty main taste profile. Mouth-feel is moderate and slimy on occasion (from the bottle). Magnum finishes fairly refreshing and crisp. I like to have this from time to time, and I think people unfairly give it a hard time. Hey, it's a pretty decent common beer!

2.8/5  rDev +26.1%

24 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is straw colored with ample carbonation bubbles rising from the etchings on the bottom of the glass. It is topped with two inches of white head.

S - I notice some floral hops that give it a soapy smell. I also get sweet grains.

T - It tastes a lot like an adjunct lager. I get some sweet grain flavors and a slight bitterness from a small dose of hops.

M - Thin with biting carbonation

O - I'm not going to lie. I drink my fair share of malt liquor after a shitty day at work. I am used to the 8+ percent varieties. This just tastes like an adjunct lager.

1.75/5  rDev -21.2%

40 ounce bottle from 7-11 in Redlands

Poured a golden brown color with a thick head that smelled pretty bad

Nasty bitterness and sweet aftertaste make this hard to drink

Will never have this one again

Only thing good for is getting drunk for cheap in my opinion

2.11/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Brassy dark golden color with just a touch of haze and a large and sticky snow-white head, which retains superbly. The lacing thoroughly coats the glass walls. There are continuous streams of fine carbonation, which quickly rise to the surface, renewing the head. The appearance is quite promising.

Aroma: Sweet aromas reminiscent of creamed corn and biting notes of sweet alcohol dominate the aroma. There is no hop presence that I could detect.

Taste: Begins with quite sweet notes of alcohol, corn flavors and some weak hops follow. Midway through the taste the corn malt struggles to the surface. The somewhat dry finish is dominated by sweet alcohol flavors and some understated hop bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, full, and pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: It’s hard to be disappointed with this beer, because it is so inexpensive. I paid $1.59 plus tax for a 40-ounce bottle. Even as a poor quality beer, it is a good value for the money and a better value than many of the American macros. If you invest $2.00 in this beer and have reasonable expectations, it is at least decent, although there are far better malt liquors to be had.

1.85/5  rDev -16.7%

40 oz. bottle, with the best by date reading July 15, 2013. The second malt liquor beer by Miller that I am reviewing here on BeerAdvocate. The first was Olde English 800, and I'm not really expecting this one to be any better. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.79 after trudging through snowy slush to get there.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear yellow piss malt liquor color with a quarter inch of thin white head that fizzles away almost immediately. Looks exactly the same as how a Miller Lite or Olde English 800 or any other Miller product looks in a glass.

S - Sweet chemically treated malts and corn husks. To give it the benefit of the doubt, this beer definitely smells better than a Miller Lite at least.

T - Artificially sweet sugars and corn / grain. Moderate level of carbonation, lightly bodied. There really isn't any discernable "taste" to be had here other than a prominent taste of corn.

M - Smooth and clean, thin and light bodied. My mouth tastes like corn kernels.

Overall, this is just a plain simple alcohol delivery vehicle for people looking to get their cheap buzz on, which is exactly what I plan on doing with it considering the murk I had to hike through to get this. (In my defense, I bought some *good* beer also). Anyway, like the others have said before me, this beer isn't horrible or offensive, it's just a bland alcohol delivery vehicle. The guy two reviews below me said it best - another tick off the bottom of the barrel list with plenty more to go.

Miller Magnum ---2/5.

2.76/5  rDev +24.3%

Clear yellow hue. Minimal animation. Smallish brilliant white head, bubbly and underdeveloped. Fair retention. The nose is strongly sweet and alcoholic definitely polluted with adjuncts. Not inviting. The palate is surprisingly clean… slightly sweet, kind of creamy… similar to creamed corn. The alcohol is a lot less noticeable in the taste, a major plus. The finish is short and sweet (pun intended). The complexity is minimal but the simplicity works well with this malt liquor. The carbonation is moderate, medium-light mouthfeel – very easy to drink. A solid beverage… for they style, I still doubt I’d drink it again. It’s very cheap.

2.11/5  rDev -5%

Yes, I am reviewing a forty of malt liquor. What about it? First, pour a little out for my lost hommies... then into my glass this beer was a lemon-yellow color like floor cleaner. The head was white, very short lived and left only minimal lacing off the ring. The aroma was musty, skunky malt and general unpleasantry like the underside of your grandfathers couch cushion. The flavor was not quite so bad, in fact it seemed to be designed to be inoffensive. Watery pale malt with hints of hops to balance and some alcohol ester sweetness. Very little there. Ok mouthfeel and a light, chug-able body. Good beer? No. But that is not what it was made for.

1.45/5  rDev -34.7%

Another malt liquor 40. This is among the cheapest of all of them, at about $1.99 a bottle. Goldish colored, consumed straight from the bottle. Tastes skunky, grainy, and very alcoholic. This is an average 40, cheap and strong. I can live the rest of my life with never having this again.

Update 2/9/04: I got Magnum again (money's tight), and I didn't dislike it as much as I used to. Still tastes like burnt corn and alcohol, but didn't offend me as much as it used to.

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another original from Miller brewing company. This is porbably one of their worst creations ever. It was a fizzy yellow liquid with a weak head. Smells like dried corn and alcohol. Taste is similar. Mmm, bitter feed corn. The body was syrupy and resulted in very poor drinkablility.

2.4/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Clear, yellow, and bright, with a flimsy one finger head that actually does leave a little lace on the glass.

S - Smells less boozy and less corny than most of its brethren. Not a whole lot going on here, but it is unoffensive and that's all ya can ask for in a malt liquor.

T - Pretty much even keeled and balanced for a malt liquor. It's less powerful than others, and tastes more like a normal macro lager. That is to say, it's quite bland.

M - This is where this one shines. Its much more "put together" and balanced than other malt liquors. Its light bodied and hides its alcohol well, and the finish is surprisingly dry.

D - Not bad for what it is. If I was headed out to a party and wanted to drink beer on the cheap, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

Magnum from Miller Brewing Co.