Magnum - Miller Brewing Co.

MagnumMagnum

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Magnum Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev +38.9%

1.25/5  rDev -36.9%

2.45/5  rDev +23.7%

24oz can for .89 cents in Cedar Lake Indiana.

its slightly better in 40oz bottles.

average, run of the mill malt liquor...actually slightly below average but its not horrible when compared to Evil Eye or St. Ides or Stack.

at 89 cents for a 24oz can, i couldnt pass it up for a quick drunk.

i rated it a 2 for taste because it actually has hardly any taste...its not offensive tasting,its just not there....the price point is definitely meant for the economy drinker looking to get messed up..4 cans of this for less than 4 bucks...and considering its watery and almost tasteless...you can shotgun or seriously pound these and at 6.0%...itll get you a buzz if you drink said 4 cans in 30 minutes.

perfect malt liquor for the college/bum set

2.1/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Magnum - So cheap it's bad, so bad it's cheap.

A: No, I didn't pour it out of the clear 40 oz. bottle. Extremely clear golden-yellow color. Not very inviting. Huge amount of bright white foam and huge bubbles on top after ever drink. Bubbles dissipate but some of the foam is always present. Does Miller add dish soap to this? It may actually leave a little lacing if poured into a glass.

S: Not as bad as you might expect. The smell tells you this is going to be one of the lighter tasting malt liquors relative to say a Steel Reserve or an Earthquake. The smell reminds me of an 'old man' beer like PBR or Milwaukee's Best. Hey, Miller makes such products: MGD and High Life. Sugary sweetness, corn, some cooked vegetables.

T: Extremely carbonated. It's a crisp, champagne like carbonation. There is that tie-in to High Life again. Very sweet. Like the smell, it's a soda-like sugary sweet. There is a toasty malt flavor but it's hard to pick up though it becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. The sweetness lingers well after you swallow. Some bitterness up front.

M: I like carbonation, I'm a big fan. It takes a lot for me to say this but Magnum is borderline overly carbonated. The carbonation takes center stage and is harsh on your tongue. Expect to rip huge burps constantly. Otherwise it is slick with a light-oil thickness.

O: This is really just a concentrated, or 'ice', version of High Life. I don't find that surprising as it seems mostly everything Miller sells is just a variation on a theme. It hits really weak for something that is supposedly 6.0%. Never overrate your ABV in this market.

1.5/5  rDev -24.2%

3.2/5  rDev +61.6%

Pours a pale amber colour, not too crystal clear, which is good for a malt liquor. Head is also good for a malt liquor. It poured white and healthy and didn't entirely disappear. I think I even see some lace.
Smell is wet grains. Very old-school malt liquory, if that means anything to anybody.
Mouthfeel is light and VERY high carbonation.
Taste is disappointing after the decent appearance and delicious malt liquor smell. That old-school malt liquor taste is there, but it's really quite light. It just tastes like high carbonation and stale grains, mostly. Oh well. I'd say it's an average malt liquor: boring, but not offensive like some of the newer, higher alcohol malt liquors. I won't buy it again when Olde English and Schlitz O.M.L. are easily attainable and far superior.

1.5/5  rDev -24.2%

1.82/5  rDev -8.1%

Decided to pick one of these up since they're practically free right now ay my corner store. I'm not sure why, because it doesn't even LOOK tasty, but we'll see. Brownish yellow liquid with some sudsing on top from the ride home in my bike bag. Smells really, really sweet and of corn and grain. Sugary, fruity flavor with unpleasant, bitter undertones. Feels a bit watery, especially for malt liquor. I guess you get what you pay for.

3.22/5  rDev +62.6%

40oz poured into a Three Philosophers wine-style glass in order to be fashionably ironic. Considered drinking out of the bottle, but thought that would be too meta-ironic. Also, I wanted to rate the head. As if it matters. Stamped AUG2211 on neck. Anyway, lets crack this pig open.

Appearance - A hard pour gave a finger and a half head which looks like it's going to dissolve in the next minute or so. Why am I even rating this? Ultra pale straw body.

Smell - Strong corny sweetness. I'd have trouble telling this apart from a Warsteiner in a blind smell test. Not bad. Well, for the style at least.

Taste - Damn. Even tastes like a Warsteiner. Not bad. Again -- for the style. As a beer, the taste is still pretty base. Corn with slight musk.

Mouthfeel - Slight crispness. Sweet body with a strange finish. It's both dry and sweet at the same time. Sweetness on the lips, and a dry astringency on the tongue.

Overall Drinkability - Meh. There's only one product named Magnum that one should be proud of buying, and this isn't it.

Pours a clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, sweet, with some rice notes. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricy. Light Body. This is a typical macro brew, nothing to talk about.

1.78/5  rDev -10.1%

I am still reeling from my last 40 today, but I will endure almost anything just to get my bottle numbers up to 400 so that I CAN refocus on The CANQuest (TM). Once the scourge ends, I will NOT be back.

Ooh, how pretty! A cap of a finger of rocky, bone-white head with reasonable retention above a deep golden-yellow beer. How could I possibly go wrong? Danger, Woody Robinson, danger! Warning, warning! One sniff and I was pulled out of my afternoon reverie. A bag of Fritos smells less like corn than this gem. Holy awful, Batman! Mouthfeel was medium with a heat on the tongue that full-on got my attention. Oh me, oh my, oh shit, oh dear. My brain felt like it was being cooked in the shell and my eyes were beginning to alternately bug out and roll back. No wonder the down-and-out crowd looks the way that they do, if this is a standard on the menu. Jesus, but I want to ram my head through a wall just to make the voices shut up for a f**king millisecond! I hear them all the time, but never as loudly or as clearly as I do with this winner. A previous reviewer mentioned giving money to the unfortunates who may be drinking this on the street. Hell, this makes me want to tithe. Woody at Lee Ermey the therapist's office: "Magnum 40 really makes me sad." L. E.: "That's very interesting. You know what makes me sad, you squiddly diddly piece of dung?!? This beer! Let's go get a craft beer and tell some sea stories." Yeah, man, after this, I was ready for a beer. The finish was dry, bone dry and I could feel smoke rolling out of my ear holes as my brain melted into the background. All I need is some crack or crystal meth and the afternoon will be complete.

Magnum from Miller Brewing Co.