Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 315 | Hads: 1,160
2.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Had from a 24oz can purchased in Portland, OR

Pours a light golden color with a chunky, large bubble white head that is quick to dissipate, but leaves a decent lacing throughout.

Smell is surprisingly muted for a malt liquor. A little like someone burped in your face after eating a bowl of tortilla chips. Lots of corn aromas, a touch of bile, some chalky minerals, and some estery banana and tropical fruit notes.

Medium to medium-light bodied with plenty of apple, pear, and melon on the mid-palate. A touch papery and nondescript on the finish with a subtle note of overly sweet slightly-rotten musky cantaloupes.

Very drinkable for a malt liquor. i much prefer this to Busch or PBR. Skateboarders: 1, Hipsters: 0 (728 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dull yellow in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a creamy white foam with medium low retention. Very light corn aroma. No malt or hop aromas. Light bodied with medium high, stinging carbonation. Corn cereal flavor followed by an assertive green apple flavor that lingered to the finish. No malt or hop flavors. What hop bitterness there may have been was cloaked by the green apple sourness. Despite the malt liquor classification the abv on this was lower than I thought it was. No solvent characters or harshness. This took me back to the days of the finger slicing pull tabs theg used to have. At least they kept the big mouth format. Finished crisp and dry. Fairly easy to quaff. (691 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a cheap beer with that distinctive wide mouth green bottle. Helps you drink it faster 'cause it's not a beer that you would want to savor, but has a kick to it. (167 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Green wide-mouth bottle...

...drank directly from the bottle. I poured another for the look: light yellow gold color with a fast fade sugary white head. A drop or few of lacing. Sadly beautiful.

Sweet smelling grainy malts, grassy. Obligatory skunk-e-ness. Delightful.

The taste follows the nose, minus the skunk. It's sweet, surely. Thankfully, it lacks mineral-it-is. Yummy.

It feels like a malt liquor should...feel, that is.

Better than the sum of its parts, as my numbers indicate. (491 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -39%

Drank this a lot in high school as it was cheap, readily available, and 40 ounces was enough to get a nice buzz. Can't say much more than that about it except the flavor often made me want to puke. (198 characters)

2.81/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Honestly speaking here, if I'm ever going to buy a 40 oz. again in my life, it will be Mickey's. If not just for the novelty of it, but its really a better tasting, easier drinking beer than anything else I've seen in a 40oz. bottle. (234 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Okay...first of all it is criminal that the photo of Mickey's here is not the classic green bottle (brain grenades). Second, what the heck are you people expecting from this beer (I did call them brain grenades for Pete's sake).
I used to take these golfing with me. I would never consider drinking them for flavor. Ratings based on what it is, not compared to a $12 bomber IIPA. (380 characters)

Reminds me of Meyer Park in Houston. My friend's older bro used to buy us 40 oz of these and we'd harass every living thing that would cross our path after downing a couple. Good times lol (188 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -54.2%

Very light in color definitely cheap by its taste but not as bad as some other malts that I've had. Very good if you want something cheap to take on a fishing or camping for the week end but is also not bad for the price (220 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +1.8%

Bought this with a bunch of other malt liquors. The cashier gave a smug look as I gleefully smiled ear to ear in anticipation of sampling these dumpster diving delicacies, since I didn't drink beer underage I never got the chance to try these gems.

Appearance: Amber body with a good foam head that disappears after a minute.

Smell: Served it cold enough to not give much smell, but what there is I hope I don't let it warm to find out and this no sipping beer so no worries.

Taste: Not much there and can't taste the booze at all, really just meant to deliver alcohol to the body. Some sweetness and slight graininess that stays just a bit to beautifully reveal a rusted metal twang on the finish making it so you must keep drinking to offset it and again you don't want this bad boy to warm up.

Feel: thinish body, you don't really want to "feel" this beer just shove it down the booze hole.

Not as bad as I thought going in. No reall offensiveness and the booze is hidden, it doesn't taste like much at all, but that gets boring real quick. I can see why people buy these i wonder if the others will have more flavor for better or worse, can't be as bad as stone 11/11/11. (1,181 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Get Stung! Drank a couple pints today for old times sake. Still does the job and I feel is one of the tastier Malt Liquors. First time I had it in a 16 oz. can so that was cool. (177 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -24.5%

40oz plastic bottle poured into a pint glass

A- pours a nearly clear pale straw color with a small fizzy white head that reduces almost completely, leaving nothing behind

S- cooked corn, metal, grains chemicals

T- sweet and malty up front with flavors of creamed corn, metal and a whip of grassy hop. Finishes slightly sweet and then drops off all together

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a sweet crisp finish

O- tastes like every other malt liquor, drinkable but not good (519 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +32.9%

From the shaped like a WW2 Grenade into, well no glass needed here, lets face it, this is what you want when you sit on a curb drinking alcohol wrapped in a paper bag . No excuses and no aplologies wanted.
The smell you should just avoid, anyone sticking their nose in this and inhaling is either stupid or drunk beyond reason.
The taste is sweet oblivion, yes, there is enough booze in this to get the job done quick and it's not unpleasant, kind of like a soft drink passed though beezelbubs bladder. grainy and warming and... familiar
I like it, I don't give a flying fig about the score here, it only supports my belief that most scorers are worse than me. and sitting on a curb will get you the truth sometimes. F you snob beerhipsters. (745 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller! (321 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +35%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice change of pace (from time-to-time) away from the IPA's and spiced-up stuff. I lived off Two Dolla' Foties of St. Ides, back in college, for f**** sake!!!! So Mickey's is like--Dom Perignone for me!!! (205 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

I feel like Mickey's fools me twice when I drink it. I get fooled once by getting tricked into those dumbass riddles they put on the caps. I get fooled twice because I end up drinking the malt sludge in the grenade because I feel stupid for not figuring out the phrase "butter face." When Dave Grohl sang the line "Is someone getting the best of you?", I didn't know he was asking about my alcoholism. (402 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

DATE TASTED: October 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal... OCCASION: O's in the ALCS for the first time since 1997--probably the last time I drank Mickey's... APPEARANCE: brassy golden body that matches the translucence of water; snow-white sudsy head fizzles to a sickly residual; vibrant bubbles at the pour evaporate immediately... AROMA: pitchy, astringent malts; its appeal is purely in the twist cap nostalgia.. PALATE: fizzy, rather oily and sift; gassy, beefy aftertaste; thin and drinkable....TASTE: puckerishly sweet, with a water hose copper coupling overbearing flavor;; some champagne (!) notes; simply not flavorful ... OVERALL: Mickey's will always have a place in my heart--and on our college pong table--but this is a rough one to sip with any sustained interest... (785 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

This pours a clear, yellow color with a slight foamy head. The aroma is mild with cheap grains and yeast. The taste is smooth, flat and surprisingly flavorful for a cheap malt liquor. There’s weak grains throughout and finishes fairly crisp and clean. After a while the aftertaste takes on a bit of an awkward finish but overall fairly decent for its style. (360 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

Rating is propbably higher than it deserves but I have fond memories of sitting in a boat on the lake sipping Mickeys out of their old big mouth bottles. Ah memories.. (167 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -30.7%

Best enjoyed with the brown bag from the liquor store still wrapped around it... Ah high school memories... I am not drinking one now as I review it, nor would I ever again, because I learned my lesson all those years ago - cheap, foul tasting, and guaranteed to get you from zero to wasted in no time flat... Though it might be considered by many King of malt liquor, that is not exactly a title to be proud of... That's like being crowned King Turd of Poopopolis on the planet Craptune... Congrats I guess...? (511 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +33.9%

The best thing I've tasted that called itself "malt liquor."

Had a slight cidery taste that reminded me of my own home brew. Was clean and lager-like, not syrupy or sickley like Steel (yuk)

I had a 40 oz bottle and I was sorry to see the bottom. (247 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -4%

2012 Micky's Premium Malt Beverage - Reviewed 9/9/2012

Appearance -
Pours a hazy golden color with very visible carbonation. Head dissipates quickly leaving thin remnants to remain. Lacing is disappointing but not non-existent.

Smell -
Very sweet with hints of corn and barley. Alcohol heat is very present in the aroma bit muted.

Taste -
Taste profile of corn, grass, sweetness. Overpowering maltiness on the back end. No hops to speak of with a boozy finish.

Mouthfeel -
Not as thin as is so prevalent in most other malt liquors. Carbonation is a bit overpowering and detracts a bit from the whole experience.

Overview -
I would put this at the top of my "go-to" list when in the 40's isle. Artificiality has really been lost with this brew, however I am a little upset that the 40oz format does not come with the classic brain teaser that the "grenades" do. Don't miss an opportunity to party with Micky. (917 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I do not feel right drinking this out of a glass after the effort was made to create a big mouth bottle. I hope they still have jokes under the cap:

A: Fat little green bottle. Beer is clear in there. I bet it is golden-colored.

S: Mineraly and corny with what seems like a very faint hop aroma. Some alcohol aroma as well. This smells better than many other malt liquors

T: Not a ton of flavor of any kind - refreshing though. Faint cory grain flavors with a slightly hoppy finish. Finish is long and a little bitter. No alcohol sting like other cheaper strong beers. Finish is quite nice here.

MF: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Prickly on the tongue. No heat, no creaminess.

O: Cleaner and more flavorful than many strong lagers I have tried. This is very refreshing and surprisingly nicely put together. (823 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale gold from the 24 ounce can, good amount of white head. Modest retention but a good amount of fine lace.
Aroma is all malts. I am sure they must use some corn but I couldn't smell any. Light amount of grassy hops.
Taste is malty goodness with just a hint of hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium. Just the right amount of carbonation.
Overall an excellent brew for the style almost too good to be a malt liquor. Just think of this as a malt forward AAL.
I first had this about 1970. It had an aluminum flat cap with a pull tab on the green grenade bottle. I had to bump the rating especially for the appearance. The lacing is very impressive. (675 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mickey's brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. This brew has some small lace on the side of the glass. Overall, this this not a bad brew for being a malt liquor. The beer goes down smooth , nothing bad about this brew. This brew is more like a American Lager than a Malt Liquor. This brew also has a different after taste- it reminds me of jalapeno pepper juice. I'm not saying that is a bad thing; that is what makes this brew different from the rest. (506 characters)

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.