Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
papawu76

White

01-02-2013 19:32:15 | More by White
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

beautiful presentation in this big green 40 oz bottle with the classic label. I'm not pouring this one into a glass, I didn't buy it to look at it.

Smells of sweet, sweet malt liquor goodness. corn, funk, and alcohol.

Tastes great while it's ice cold...sweet malts up front, corn in the middle, slight hops in end mixed with rice crispies. One of the best malt liquors for sure. Hard to describe the taste

Very smooth, carbonation is modeate. kind of a weird after taste and it leaves my spit feeling slimey, but other than that, YUM.

Considering I drink this in 40oz bottles, I'd say it's pretty damn drinkable.

A classic right here. Drink Malt Liquor.

07-10-2010 03:47:44 | More by wolfinthemirror

07-06-2014 06:35:04 | More by januhh
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

3.95/5  rDev +57.4%

12oz green short bottle from Hannaford. Pours a light yellow crystal clear body with a half inch of short-lived white head. Smells like cereal grains, a touch of butter and hints of floral hops. Slightly sweet cereal grain, hints of caramel. Finishes very clean, as expected. Very light in body with ample effervescent carbonation. Super drinkable and really nothing objectionable about it - not even skunked despite the green bottle. One of the better malt liquors I have tried

01-13-2009 02:01:58 | More by MrHurmateeowish
PBRstreetgang

3.9/5  rDev +55.4%

Pours a crystal clear staw hue with a frothy soap bubble head two fingers high. Good retention and a few specs of lacing. Mild Pils malt and corn aroma, with a hint of DMS scent. Sweet Pils and pale malt taste with some corny adjunct in the background. Mild apple ester in the aftertaste along with some mellow graininess, but the beer is fairy dry and the mouthfeel is mostly clean once these flavors fade. Medium-light in body, with high carbonation, and somewhat lighter than most malt liquors and much smoother. This was surprisingly good, but probably only because it fits somewhere between Malt liquor and american macro.

09-25-2007 04:21:58 | More by PBRstreetgang
icefisherman

3.9/5  rDev +55.4%

this stuff brings me back like all the way to thanksgiving last year. I think this is some of the best malt liquir on the market. it tastes a little sweet and unlike some others it dosenot taste like flavored beer. and its way cheaper than "Smirnof Ice" its under $9 for a 12 pack of those really cool midget green bottles with the recloseable top.

09-02-2004 15:45:52 | More by icefisherman
cptnjck101

3.88/5  rDev +54.6%

Mickey's is a classic, I love this stuff. Get's you feeling right & doesn't break the bank doing so. Smooth as silk & cheap as dirt. It's no Westy 12, but for a buck twenty, it can't be beat. The boys at Miller may not always come up with winners, but they sure as shit did here.

03-03-2005 02:40:12 | More by cptnjck101
Brad007

Vermont

3.88/5  rDev +54.6%

Pours a pale golden color with a one finger head that quickly fades to nearly nothing.

Aroma is strong with corn/bready malt in the nose. Nothing special here and to be expected.

Taste is strong and sweet with corn, baked bread and a touch of alcohol in the middle.

Mouthfeel is full of the same flavors as above (corn, baked bread) except that they linger. Not harsh or anything. Seems average.

Not bad. I was expecting worse but this really isn't a bad example. It's drinkable for what it is.

03-20-2009 23:59:57 | More by Brad007
cooch69

3.88/5  rDev +54.6%

Got a 40 oz. of this cause I have'nt tried Malt Liquor in about 6 or 7 years and had no recolection of what they actually tasted like.

Pours a clear as day light yellow with a tall foamy two-three finger head after an agressive pour.

Nose is primarily rubbing alcohol and sweet, bready pale malts.

Taste comes off as just an American Lager bumped up in alcohol. It does have that rubbing alcohol taste to it as well. With such a light beer I don't see it as much of an issue that the alcohol shines through so well.

Overall I think this tastes better than a lot of premium American Lagers I'd probably choose this for a hot muggy night on the deck.

05-18-2011 01:44:23 | More by cooch69
Lacesoutcody

3.85/5  rDev +53.4%

drank from a mickey's grenade wide mouth bottle, bought in a six pack.

A: not poured, I don't believe in pouring malt liquor into a glass. I'm guessing thin yellow, with minimal head.

S: a sweet blast of sugars, and malt, a slight hint of alcohol on the back end.

T: same as the smell, simple sugars, a little alcohol, and thin supply of malts to finish it off.

M: fairly thin, but thicker than some malt liquors on the market.

D: As always, poundable, completely enjoyable, and will get you buzzed for the right price, as for something to savor, find something else. Pansy.

07-10-2010 22:22:28 | More by Lacesoutcody
Spikester

Oregon

3.83/5  rDev +52.6%

Pours a pale gold from the 24 ounce can, good amount of white head. Modest retention but a good amount of fine lace.
Aroma is all malts. I am sure they must use some corn but I couldn't smell any. Light amount of grassy hops.
Taste is malty goodness with just a hint of hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium. Just the right amount of carbonation.
Overall an excellent brew for the style almost too good to be a malt liquor. Just think of this as a malt forward AAL.
I first had this about 1970. It had an aluminum flat cap with a pull tab on the green grenade bottle. I had to bump the rating especially for the appearance. The lacing is very impressive.

03-16-2014 05:33:16 | More by Spikester
Gaben

3.83/5  rDev +52.6%

Mickey's I cant believe this stuff isnt rated among the tops 3's in malt liquor's , one of my fav beers with or without the differnt styles.

Appearance is plain , close to all the green bottle beers because I hardly ever pour malts out of the bottle.

The taste is pretty goot , It taste's like a dirty rolling rock / not as smooth but nice to drink or even slam at times.

Drinking this stuff is pretty easy , nothing you'll wanna puke on , simple because its a fine malt liquor and I recommend it too any beer drinker.

03-29-2007 18:37:04 | More by Gaben
jsisko01

3.83/5  rDev +52.6%

Appearance - Pours a clear dark golden/copper color with a thin, white frothy head. The lacing is pretty good.

Small - The malts smell really good.. Has a sweet aroma, with corn and malts being most dominant.

Taste - Mostly the same as the smell. Quite sweet, very malty and corny, and also has a buttery biscuit flavor to it. It has a weird bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light body with high carbonation.

Overall - This is one of the few malt liquors I've ever liked. It tends to give me heartburn though.. Not like other beers.

07-13-2012 05:15:20 | More by jsisko01
dakeynr

3.8/5  rDev +51.4%

OK. I have read the reviews of Mickey's "Fine" Malt Liquor here and some folks seem to be embarrassed to even be reviewing it, or in some cases, to be giving it too high a grade.
C'mon. It's beer, and we're all beer lovers here, and - speaking for myself - I love to try all sorts of styles and flavors and countries of origin...gimmicks and chicanery included. I believe all's fair in love and the love of beer. Malt Liquor is another product that gives us the incredibly huge variety of beverages in the 'beer' category. That's enough to love it for!(IMHO)

This is an above average Malt Liquor. It's not over the top in the abv department, as it's right there with many excellent IPA's. I find this to be preferable to many domestic lagers - the taste is better.
Color is pale amber. Quickly dissipating head. Carbonation remains, and bubbles rise, reminiscent of Sprite or 7-up.
Tastes somewhat sweet, with a rather nice, if somewhat strong-flavored finish. No noticeable alcohol on the tongue, that I could detect.
Serve Mickey's ice cold. It holds up well to strong flavored meats, and appetizers - think burgers, brats, dogs, hot wings - or it's great solo.
Mickey's is, in my opinion, one of the few choices that will harmonize with almost everything. And, actually, if you pour Mickey's in a wine glass, and serve it without revealing the brand - I believe most people would find it to be a great, refreshing pale lager.
If you can get past the stigma attached to malt liquors in general, and give this an honest go...you may find you like it...or love it!

03-19-2011 22:35:55 | More by dakeynr
weizenbob

3.8/5  rDev +51.4%

Don't let the pissed off looking wasp frighten you; at 5.6% ABV, Mickey's is the soft and cuddly malt liquor. I picked this up in a display case full of 24 ounce $.99 cans. I opened the can and poured into a pilsner glass in hopes that glassware alone would transform this beastly brew into a beauty of an imperial pilsner.

The pour yields two fingers of foamy white head. Head retention is good. Really nice thick lacing sticks to the side of the glass. The beer is golden colored and crystal clear. A moderate amount of carbonation can be seen through the glass. It's kind of pretty looking.

The aroma reminds me of the maibocks that I've been drinking lately. It actually smells like a premium strong lager with a nice grain bill. Wet hay is forward in the nose and is accompanied by a honey-like sweetness. There is an impression of freshly cracked peppercorns. Alcohol is not so much smelled as it is felt, as the nose hairs are tickled by its presence in the aroma. This is really not smelling bad at all.

Y'know, the taste isn't all that bad either. It is not as interesting as the aroma would have me believe, but there is none of the cringe inducing harshness that I normally associate with the style (no doubt due to the below average alcohol content). There is a soft graininess that is nice. As expected, there is also a fair amount of corn adjunct flavor. The honey sweetness reaches the tongue as it did the nose. It is watered down for sure, but it finishes cleanly. I'm less impressed by the flavor than I am the by lack thereof. Regardless, I am still impressed.

This is a light bodied brew, but certainly on the heavier end of light. It is highly carbonated and as such a little tingly. Overall however Mickey's is really mellow and easy drinking.

Mickey's is a pleasant surprise. It's dirt cheap; it looks, smells and feels great, and the taste is totally inoffensive. That may not be high praise, but for a style that is often unpalatable, it's about as good as it gets. Incidentally, I could wholeheartedly recommend this over any of the proper adjunct lagers in the Miller lineup.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
As impressive a malt liquor as this is, I still don't give a Schlitz for Mickey's.

04-11-2011 22:44:17 | More by weizenbob
dhannes

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev +50.6%

Poured from a 40 oz. resealable bottle 1-2 days after opening, which no doubt affected the carbonation. Poured into a SA Perfect Pint.

A=dark straw yellow, with slight head that lasted less than a minute.

S=Good...corn with hops.

T=A bit sweeter than I remember...could not really taste the alcohol..reminded me of a robust cream ale.

M=Good...especially the reduced carbonation.

O=I enjoyed this glass, but don't really see this as a session beer...just too sweet in my estimation.

06-10-2011 18:52:51 | More by dhannes
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.78/5  rDev +50.6%

First, let me say that Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor is a damn good beer! I have a lot of respect for this particular one. I tried this sample out of a 24 oz. can into a tall beer glass. Mickey's has a thick, white head, a yellow, exceptionally clear color, and high carbonation. Aroma was undetectable. The taste was slightly sweet, somewhat bold, and with a shade of citrus. Lacing was even throughout. This one may the the lightest malt liquor on the market. Mouth-feel was medium. This beer seems to be dry-brewed. It starts smooth and finishes such. While the alcohol level is relatively low (5.6%), I drank about 16 oz. on a pretty empty stomach and could feel the alcohol buzzing about in my head like a hornet. But, I was not stung by it. Really, this is a classic malt liquor and goes highly recommended.

RJT

04-04-2010 16:21:01 | More by RonaldTheriot
Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.