Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey'sMickey's

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 320 | Hads: 1,175

This has to be one of the worst beers I have tasted. I think they created the wide mouth so you could chug it down like a shot and get it over with as quickly as possible. The color of the beer was like a faded yellow color and had absolutely no head. The aroma just reeked of corn or whatever odor creates that effect. The flavor was just hard to get a hold of because the finish is just so harsh with a lot of bit to make it impossible to really discern any. My roommate's exchange for drinking my Sierra Nevada Pale. Hardly a fair trade. (540 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -61.2%

UPDATE: I honestly did not know that Miller owned Mickey's now. I started to research them after this evaluation and can not get them any information as to opinion, good OR bad. They do not allow it. They are untouchable! They are ZEN! Very scary. You probably won't see this beer in the next 5 years.

Presentation: poured into a Duvel tulip from a 12oz bottle shaped like a barrel/keg. Dated AUG3010, I am assuming the expiration date.

A: Light golden yellow(like a Miller Lite) with a nice 2 1/2 finger white head that dissolved within 50-60 seconds to less than a thin white film with minimal lacing.

S: Water.... maybe a hint of malt, grains... and maybe a hop bud or two.... in the vat of wort.. entirely.

T&M: I'm still open minded at this point...Damn, it's not as good as I had hoped. Rice, barley watered down ... I don't know. Some mild malt sweetness, buy this is the thinnest beer I've ever tasted. Water is thicker. I don't know if that is even possible!

WOW! This is close to that warm beer that you accidently picked up in the fridge instead of the cold one. It is an April fool's joke from the April beer club that I am part of with a local store, and I was hoping, and keeping an open mind, that this malt liquor might clear one hurdle. It falls face down in the race of any category in beer or brewing, bar none! (1,335 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -60.1%

Discovered this beer in college. The liquor store had a never-ending special on six packs. Didn't mind it at first, although I didn't care for the sweet flavor and aftertaste. We drank so much of this stuff (because it was cheap, you see) that more than twelve years have gone by and I still get nauseous when I see it at the store. Nasty stuff! (345 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -57.6%

12 oz. grenade.
Corn syrup sweetness on the nose, mixed with an increasing buttery sensation.
The same corn syrup shows up right away in the taste. Sticky and artificial tasting. Seltzer water-like carbonation scrapes the mouth clean of the cloying sweetness, but is annoying in its own right. Turns grainy toward the middle. Buttery and vegetal tones rise gradually throughout. Turns sweeter again at the finish with a (cheap) vodka & tonic alcohol flavor.
Artificially high carbonation, but once it begins to settle, this becomes totally undrinkable.
Unredeemable, even for malt liquor. (592 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -55%

Pale gold with a one finger hed and poor retention. Smells of cooked corn with some sweet malt. Nothing special here. The taste is worse than the smell. Water everywhere along with cooked corn and a poor attempt at malt sweetness. Yuck. Thin bodied, fair carbonation. Not a good mouthfeel, and not very drinkable. I split this with a friend at a get together last night, so it cost me nothing. (393 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -54.3%

Very light in color definitely cheap by its taste but not as bad as some other malts that I've had. Very good if you want something cheap to take on a fishing or camping for the week end but is also not bad for the price (220 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -53.2%

A - Typical see through yellow with a massive frothy white head. Leaves small lacing.

S - Corn adjunct, rice adjunct, creamed corn. No surprise there.

T - Heavy, nasty creamed corn flavor with a stale rice adjunct finish that is almost unbearable.

M - Heavily carbonated with a heavy creamy body.

O - Overall, This beer was completely one dimensional. One smell, One flavor, And a mouthfeel that follows. Oh well, I only paid $1.25 for a 24oz can and I had to eventually review such terrible brews so that I can give even greater appreciation to the better beers out there. Will I buy it again? Absolutely not. i dreaded finishing this stuff so much that I actually elected to pour the remaining 18 ounces down the sink. (724 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -53.2%

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Cute little widemouth bottle. Just another malt beverage. Goes particularly well with Papa John’s pizza. The garlic butter with crust and a Mickey’s to wash it down...MMMmmmm...

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n (494 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -52.9%

My buddy left one of these at a recent card game, and beer shouldn't be left without an owner around me or it will disappear quickly regardless of who brewed it.

A: expected light yellow color. I poured very aggressively and didn't get even the slightest bit of head
S: Sweet corn, sugar, and grain
T: Syrupy sweet with hints of corn and grain alcohol
M: high carbonation that left a very dry finish
D: I wouldn't even drink this if I just got done mowing the grass on 120 degree day. (487 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -52.2%

Wow, I can't beleive this was my drink of choice at times back in high school. Mostly due to a lack of knowledge i suppose. It is a golden color and smells like malt and alcohol. Not quality malt. The taste is not too bad, but not too good either. The body is fizzy to cover up off flavors. A bottle of this always made for a fun night and not much else. Except a bad morning. (376 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -51.1%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: Much like the OE, malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland. It does have some other adjunts and skunky flavor though.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around, this time being skunky.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again. (553 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Well, I doubt I'm saying anything we don't already know. This stuff is shhhiiity. Nasty yellow appearance leaving nothing in terms of head, lacing or retention. Horrible dumpster 4 day old beer smell.

Taste isn't the worst thing I've drank, but it's close. I guess it gets better the more you drink of it, and it is cheap . . . but all you can taste is the alcohol, which isn't even all that high. Brutal. (407 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I am in college, and I have had a lot of crappy beers in my day, but this one has got to be the worst I have ever had. I bought a bottle and opened it that very same night and it still tasted skunked. I actually threw it away after two sips. If you are looking to get a 40 oz. with a lot of alcohol, look elsewhere because this will be tough to choke down. (356 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.6%

DAFUQ! WHY? Once the alcohol destroys your palate, it allows you to get past the chemicals used to make this atrocity. Once the alcohol hits your brain you tend not to give a shit. Low 5.6% abv? I had two 8%ers yeasterday and i didntmfeel this buzzed. Must be the impurities giving me instant hangover? I Hate You Miller! (321 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.6%

DATE TASTED: October 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal... OCCASION: O's in the ALCS for the first time since 1997--probably the last time I drank Mickey's... APPEARANCE: brassy golden body that matches the translucence of water; snow-white sudsy head fizzles to a sickly residual; vibrant bubbles at the pour evaporate immediately... AROMA: pitchy, astringent malts; its appeal is purely in the twist cap nostalgia.. PALATE: fizzy, rather oily and sift; gassy, beefy aftertaste; thin and drinkable....TASTE: puckerishly sweet, with a water hose copper coupling overbearing flavor;; some champagne (!) notes; simply not flavorful ... OVERALL: Mickey's will always have a place in my heart--and on our college pong table--but this is a rough one to sip with any sustained interest... (785 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%

I feel like Mickey's fools me twice when I drink it. I get fooled once by getting tricked into those dumbass riddles they put on the caps. I get fooled twice because I end up drinking the malt sludge in the grenade because I feel stupid for not figuring out the phrase "butter face." When Dave Grohl sang the line "Is someone getting the best of you?", I didn't know he was asking about my alcoholism. (402 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ok so I bought a 40oz of this as a joke to bring to a party. After I poured one for my hommies I kicked back and went to town. It was not a good beer at all and it had a hint of corn and malt. The taste was very carbonated and obviously high in alcohol. Mouthfeel again carbonated and thin. I would never recommend this beer to anyone but it is fun to show up to a party with it! (379 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%

This pours a clear, yellow color with a slight foamy head. The aroma is mild with cheap grains and yeast. The taste is smooth, flat and surprisingly flavorful for a cheap malt liquor. There’s weak grains throughout and finishes fairly crisp and clean. After a while the aftertaste takes on a bit of an awkward finish but overall fairly decent for its style. (360 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -46%

Lets face the facts, people drink malt liquor to get f&*^#ed up more quickly, they don't drink it for the taste. So I ask this question why drink Mickey's when it tastes the same as all other malts and is lower in alcohol volume by 3%. The apperance is very straw yellow with no head and no lacing. The smell is of funky meat and grain. Taste is heavy on the grain, weak on malts and hops, tastes a little metallic as well. Feels flat and dull in the mouth. Drinkable if you are so messed up you accidentally purchase this. Listen drink 2 bombers of Arrogant Bastard instead, better tasting by far and more alcohol volume. (622 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -45%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's a cheap beer with that distinctive wide mouth green bottle. Helps you drink it faster 'cause it's not a beer that you would want to savor, but has a kick to it. (167 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. grenade bottle, with best by date on the side August 12. 2013. Didn't really realize that this was a Miller product, although it hardly surprises me. No abv listed anywhere on the bottle. Have had this beer before and while it isn't the greatest, I've got some fond memories of drinking this stuff at parties back in the day, though.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a pretty damn thin crystal clear yellow water color, with some carbonation visible. One finger of bone white head. I should have left it in the bottle. Some thin wispy lacing.

S - Cheap dusty malts & some corn adjuncts.

T - Taste is the same. Cheap malt, corn adjuncts, and wet cardboard / newspaper. Definitely should have left this in the bottle.

M - Feel is watery and papery, somewhat sticky.

Overall, a beer that is best enjoyed straight from the bottle, ice cold, preferably after you've already drunk yourself into a stupor, and a beer that is mainly bought for the novelty factor. Probably also best if you enjoy this beer quickly, and get it over with as fast as possible.

Mickey's ---1.5/5 (1,100 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -42.4%

Planned on trading some of this for something else, then realized I'd never tried it myself. What the hell, why not...

Pours a very clear and fizzy yellow. Has a surprisingly stable white head for something so cheap. No scent I could really discern.

Taste is a bit of a slap-fight between lemon and corn. Drink it quick though, because corn starts to win as it warms. Goes down as fizzy as it looks, which actually makes me appreciate the fairly average strength.

Final verdict: meh. Starts off merely inoffensive and goes downhill from there. I'm not sure whose tastes this is made for, tbh, since it appears to be a malt liquor that doesn't even signify itself as such in terms of character. (696 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Brain Grenades, the term we used to describe these funky green globes of potent power. Leave it to old friends to re-visit these dangerous beauties. Back in the day we used to slam these taking bets on who could finish the grenade in the least amount of "sips" regardless here I am and not much changes....Funky malt likka scent sweet and very grainy, appearance heh just keep it in the bottle which is sweeeet, tacky and sticky on the palate it bites ya, tastes like tomorrow's stale ale. Overall not a quality brew but a fun past time in certain circumstances. (562 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -41.4%

An american malt liquor, only good for drink with buddies, the mexican are not goods for drink malt liquor, but is good for try with american food, its penetrate hops and malt aroma and its generous grade of alcohol, made perfect for drink slow in a glass mug; i not recommended this beer. (289 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -39.2%

Drank this a lot in high school as it was cheap, readily available, and 40 ounces was enough to get a nice buzz. Can't say much more than that about it except the flavor often made me want to puke. (198 characters)

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.