Mickey's - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mickey's Alström Bros
Reviews: 320 | Hads: 1,179
1.73/5  rDev -35.4%

Long night of drinking last night so I need something to help ease me in coming down. This is the only thing available. Looks yellow and fizzy with a decent head. This really shouldn't be poured into the glass, its a drink from the bottle type beer. Smell is all corn and piss. Taste brings me more corn and piss and maybe some alcohol though its not as boozy as some other malt liquors I've had. This reminds me of Miller High Life but in a bad way. Very rough, don't even think about drinking this warm. There's better malt liquors out there.

1.85/5  rDev -31%

Ok. Pours a yellow straw color with a thick soapy white head (don't you just love soap n' beer?) and zero lacing. Smells like booze and corn, rice, random grain they may have thrown in. Tastes malty sweet with with some odd hop undertones. Mouthfeel is pretty thin. Drinkability is not the worst.

1.85/5  rDev -31%

Another weak pee like yellow highly carbonated brew. This one has a head of fine white bubbles and just a little lacing with carbonated bubbles rising up the side of the glass. I can spell BURP already! It smells like puck (spelling?) Highly carbonated taste, but not as bad as it smells, BURP! Bubly flavor with a mild aftertatse, BURP. It's a typical malt liquor with nothing special about it, BURP, BURP, BURP.

1.85/5  rDev -31%

A - Three finger head, bland and light yellow. I can see right through it. Leaves a fair amount of smeared and dirty lacing on the glass.

S - Very sweet, almost sickly sweet. There's a touch of grain the smell, like freshly kneaded dough.

T - Malty with just an echo of hops. There's a sweetness backing this that makes me cringe a little, but not enough to repel me.

M - Texturally it finishes clean. The carbonation is noticeable, but just shy of being totally offensive. It leaves a nearly sickening aftertaste on the sides of the tongue and roof of my mouth.

D - If you're looking to get drunk, this is where it's at. Just don't look for a lot of taste. I've had this when I felt like telling myself I'm a broke badass, but I won't pick it up on my own when I have a few bucks to spare. Mickey's is an express ticket to heartburn and a lasting hangover.

1.87/5  rDev -30.2%

Fizzy white head, lacing is an afterthought, light yellow and completely filtered.

Kinda has the heineken taste to it. Thin and slightly skunked. on the heavy end of hop character for the style. Amazing high level of carbonation gives it a fizzy mouthfeel and sharp crispness. Clean.

Big mouth bottles are a selling point, the brew is not.

1.87/5  rDev -30.2%

My local Safeway had this on sale for $8.49 (regularly a whopping $11.49) which is lot to pay for something this bad. This is another brew of my youth which was popular because of the “Big Mouth”. I remember even then thinking how bitter this was. Now that I am more discriminating I can look at it objectively.

It poured a light corn yellow with some head and lacing. Nose was corn and apples, and mouthfeel very much like water with some corn syrup and alcohol. It is simply not very good to drink, and I suppose if you dying of thirst and got it really cold you could choke it down, but warm it is almost undrinkable.

Flavor was mostly corn. Slight bitterness that was not nice.

It seem the bottle has changed also. I remember a bigger mouth.

1.9/5  rDev -29.1%

I bought this more out of novelty as I've never tried it before and there was a promotion as I was looking at other beers - Yes, the Mickey's girls influenced this sale.

I drank from the 40, but poured a small bit into glass to evaluate color and smell. Color is light straw with large head/bubbles. Smell is somewhat skunky and chemical. Not offensive, but not great.

Taste was along the same lines. Nothing that I'd drink again, but I can see the appeal of this with some people. Is a bit bitter on the finish and it tends to repeat.

Not my cup of tea, but I know people enjoy this stuff.

1.92/5  rDev -28.4%

No need to waste much time reviewing in depth. What you need to know is that this is a pretty light (read: non-descript) malt liquor, sort of like the Natural of malt liquors. I remember the little grenades having a bit more character and a slightly salty taste, but this 22oz bottle is flat out boring.
It seems like you're really taking the slow option to getting crunked with this stuff, but I'd imagine it is less likely to produce severe hangovers.

1.92/5  rDev -28.4%

Best enjoyed with the brown bag from the liquor store still wrapped around it... Ah high school memories... I am not drinking one now as I review it, nor would I ever again, because I learned my lesson all those years ago - cheap, foul tasting, and guaranteed to get you from zero to wasted in no time flat... Though it might be considered by many King of malt liquor, that is not exactly a title to be proud of... That's like being crowned King Turd of Poopopolis on the planet Craptune... Congrats I guess...?

1.93/5  rDev -28%

Appearance: Good foam. Very pale yellow. Thick bubbles. Kind of oily. Not terrible, but still bad.

Smell: Strong and sour corn. Not pleasant in the least.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is pretty weak, but sour. Quite watery with the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Starts out ok, but gets extremely bitter at end and makes this hard to finish.

Overall: An improvement of King Cobra, but it's still not enjoyable. This was an old bottle though.

1.95/5  rDev -27.2%

I wanted to review this beer out of the 12 oz. little 'grenade' bottles. Instead this is coming from a 24 oz. can. Mickey's is always better out of glass.

A: I poured some out but I was reluctant to do so. Mickey's is a beer that should be consumed from it's original container. Pretty much yellow, not light or dark, just yellow. Sits still in the glass. Light lacing. Head disappeared quickly which surprised me because like most Miller beers Mickey's is quite foamy.

S: Not much of anything. Metallic and bitter. The sweetness of other mass produced malts is missing. It's an inoffensive smell. Much lighter than most other mass produced products having the same ABV.

T: Boring. Inoffensive. Watery. I've had light beers more flavorful than this. Light grain. Light bitterness. Finishes with nothing but a little bitterness on your tongue.

M: The best part of Mickey's. Surprisingly thick. Medium-high carbonation that leaves a little sting. Creamy and slightly oily.

O: Mickey's is best out of glass: 12 oz. or 40 oz. I don't know what it is about cans but it seems to ruin what flavor and characteristic there is. I've had some amazing tasting Mickey's before, but not this one. Considering how mass produced this is and how cheap it is there may be some variation from batch to batch as well. Mickey's is available pretty much everywhere making it an inoffensive choice when nothing else seems appealing. In the malt liquor world the low 5.6% ABV and higher than average price make this an amateur's choice.

1.97/5  rDev -26.5%

pretty tame for a malt liquor. most ice beers have higher abv's than mickey's. that all said...one can really tell miller must use extra corn for the heart of this brew. pretty much smells and tastes like mega-adjuncts which isn't pleasant. but an underlying smoothness and decent mouthfeel save this beer from being on my all time worst beer list. if you can get by the smell and get straight to the bee stinging your brain then you've made it to where you want to go. ethanol in a green bottle.

1.98/5  rDev -26.1%

My crazy Irish fried swears by Mickey's for when ever we are slumming it. Strangely enough, I've never had one until now.

12 oz stubby green bottle with a wide mouth. Poured into an oversized mug, there is an initial fizzy white head that quickly recedes to nothing. No lacing. Color is a clear straw yellow with medium amounts of carbonation.

Smell is sweet and grainy. Corn is obvious. Taste is also pretty sweet, but not overbearing. A hint of alcohol spices things up.

Mouthfeel is light in body, but harsh in texture. It's a brainless and guilty pleasure.

1.98/5  rDev -26.1%

It's been about 3 years since my first and only malt liquor. I thought I'd re-visit the style.

A - Clear, straw-yellow with tons of bubbles. Two-finger, white bubbly head of foam that does not last long nor leave any lace.

S - Not much other than corn and grains.

T - Grains and corn with a spicy alcohol presence - I can't really define it as hops but it was spiced.

M - Best attribute. Crisp, sharp and dry with a light bodied.

D - Still not loving malt liquors. I took my time on this one not to savor it or because of the high ABV - I just wasn't that interested it drinking more of it.

Reminds me of Meyer Park in Houston. My friend's older bro used to buy us 40 oz of these and we'd harass every living thing that would cross our path after downing a couple. Good times lol

Cap rebus - "Meat" _ y + "oar" _ "match" (matchstick)

Appearance - poured about 7 to 8 ounces into a tasting glass. A pretty good head formed up, snow white bubbles. They leave pretty fast but do leave some trace lacing about. The color is a typical macro yellow with a hefty bead. For the style it's a rather good start.

Aroma - a good start undone. A funky kind of grain/vegetal sniff. Stale corn? I never really sniffed these pre-BA so this is a new thing for a beer I had many times many moons ago. Tames down to a touch of crackery malt but the stale veggies remain.

Taste - sweet, predictably corny and grainy up front, just a bare bite of hops on the swallow. Once the palate adjusts some other things pop up. I get a whiff/taste of something metal and even a light diluted urine-like aroma hitting as I drink. All the reason you need to keep these babies in the green pineapple they are sold in. With your lips on the wide mouth and your nose against the glass, this goes down far easier. I held my breath for the last few swallows from the glass. You gotta cut out the aroma when you drink it, that's the only way this beer makes a 2. Plus it does maintain a background hop presence so I can't totally sell him out. Probably the most impressive thing I can say is that although the hops are faint, they don't skunk in the green glass, at least mine didn't.

Mouthfeel - crisp, nicely light-bodied. Not filling at all really.

Drinkability - all depends. I will probably not buy this again for myself, but I will drink all 6 without a problem, keeping expectations realistic. This is a really cheap malt liquor designed to be more of an alcohol delilvery system than an attempt at a worthy malt liquor. I wouldn't drink more than one of these a night; just so you can have something else if you decide to have another.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

S: Smells like my garden pond after winter.

A: Looks like a normal golden lager. Good head and fine, intricate lacing which dries and clings to the glass.

T: A fizzy lager type drink with a strong white bread flavour. Really not all that bad though.

O: Really innofensive but not in the slightest bit moorish. Interesting lacing effect. Now I know how malt liquor tastes.

Appearance: Extremely pale yellow color with an excessively foamy white head.

Aroma: Sweet malt and grain dominate the nose. Slightly sour and skunky in the finish.

Taste: Quite sweet and bland. Tastes much like sugar whater with some carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Sugary and somehwat flat, Alcohol lends some body, but doesn't help much.

Drinkability: An old college beverage that called to me today and I shouldn't have answered. The best feature of this beer is the wide-mouth bottle.

2.01/5  rDev -25%

Appearance – Light orange in color and very clear with a lot of carbonation and a decent head.

Smell – The familiar alcohol-laced grainy mishmash of the malt liquor family is alive and kicking in this Miller offering.

Taste – This taste like The Champagne of Beers with a shot of gin. The flavor is subtle (read, “tastes like watered-down piss") and the booze is overbearing.

Mouthfeel – It looked heavily carbonated, but this ale was flat and thin.

Sinkability – This bomber bombed.

2.02/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a 24 ounce can; a clear golden hue with a respectable sandy beach white head, rushing carbonation noticeable. A horrible odor that is skunky, musty and rustic. Sticky and watery up front; has the malty-malt-liquor thing going on. Actually, some hop detection is noticeable in this bland beverage, but don't go calling the hops authorities yet. Mickey's also has the classic malt alcohol feeling, no not a belly warmer; very carbonated and watery, a terrible cooked veggie/malt liquor palate. Old school, a classic of it's own, and one I use to imbibe on a regular basis, but I've proudly moved onward and upward, take care ol' friend!

2.03/5  rDev -24.3%

Mickey's hand grenades appears pale golden yellow tone with a large bright white quickly dwindling head leaves even fine lacing around my glass. Aromatics have cereal tones with corn and rice pulling up a chair, and mild herbal grass notes as well. Flavors collide upfront with cooked veggies, herbal notes, mild sweetness, and a somewhat metallic note though it finishes relatively clean after all of that. Mouthfeel is light bodied pretty thin with unnatural carbonation that tickles the throat. Drinkability is one of those ghetto college staples that will always sell with or without a marketing campaign.

2.06/5  rDev -23.1%

(Served in a nonic)
A- This beer has a straw yellow crystal clear body with a big carbonation of large bubbles and a bubble white head of molten candy.
S- The soft green apple acetaldehyde grows as the beer warms with a light flinty note that is nice but soon overpowered. There is a faint field corn note in the finish.
T- The clean flavor has a slight tartness with a faint corn flavor that comes through on the exhale. The green apple flavor has a jolly rancher candy quality to it that gets stronger with each sip. M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a watery texture and a fizzy finish.
D- This beer is light but not clean. The tartness and corn and apple flavors are very pronounced and become a bit more obnoxious with each sip.

2.06/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured it into a pint glass. Yeah I know, a glass really?! Probably shouldn't have, after all the green keg big mouth bottle was sooo coool. I remember buying these in high school back in the dark ages. Just thought I would try something different but I was at the gas station! Not much in the way of choice or selection. $5.09 a 6 pack?

what can you say even a BMC makes these seem tasty. How many ways can you spell skunked. This is January and my bottle said November 30, 2009. A green bottle and out dated to boot. Skunked! I used to think this is what beer was supposed to taste like. Just one for old times sake. Certainly not for the taste. Oh yeah, the taste, did I mention skunked BMC? Well you get the idea...

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Now, even I think I'm crazy for giving a malt liquor a score over 2. But, there's two things to consider here. This malt liquor, compared to its peers, has less ABV, meaning that there is more water and less of a pungent taste. I don't really have to describe anything here, but it breaks down like this. Light gold color that you can see thru, the smell is not like paint thinner like an Old E or a Hurricane (yech!) but of a watery hop-substance, and the taste is somewhat foul but smooth. The other advantage that Mickey's has over the other malt liquors (and I am not talking about the goofy sayings on the cap) is the grenade bottle. For those who don't know, rather than the normal bottle which, on a guess, is 6 inches from bottom to start of neck and holds about 2 oz. each, this bat boy is 3 inches tall and there's 4 oz per inch. Oh, and the other reason it is called the grenade is because it's green (The bottle, not the beer). You end up drinking one in about 2 minutes, and then after about four or five a strong buzz creeps over.

Mickey's from Miller Brewing Co.